Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Mystery: Who'll Be House's New Boss?

It’s a job we wouldn’t wish on anyone in the medical community: lording over the brilliant if bullheaded Dr. Gregory House. And yet it is a position that must be filled, given that Fox’s House is heading into its next season sans Lisa Edelstein as Princeton Plainsboro’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. Lisa Cuddy. What sort of superior should the show introduce to keep House in check? Female, male? Prickly, hunky? We have some ideas….

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on House, Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe and More

Series creator David Shore says the possibilities for picking Cuddy’s successor are “wide open…. Everything’s on the table” — promoting Wilson included. And yet we have the strong feeling that the writers won’t be able to resist the opportunity to shake things up with a brand-new boss person.

“It’s safe to say there’ll be new players next season. Some,” Shore told us. And with Edelstein gone and Olivia Wilde expected back only in measured doses (as Thirteen), “Yes, we would want to have a female presence, absolutely.”

So here are our picks, both femmes and fellas, to (try to) keep the House in order.

Stephen Fry | This Brit wit has before teamed with his BFF Hugh Laurie in the BBC’s A Bit of Fry & Laurie and ITV’s Jeeves and Wooster. He’s also familiar to Fox faithful from his intermittent gig as Dr. Gordon Wyatt on Bones. We could see Fry playing a Dean of Medicine with whom House strikes an instant connection — Wilson’s jealous, what? –  though Laurie might be tempted to slip out of his American accent now and again.

Janeane Garofalo | The sometime comedienne has been laboring to break into the TV drama biz, first on 24 and most recently on the short-lived Criminal Minds spin-off. On House, she could give as well as she gets, and probably with little to none of that palpable sexual tension viewers grew used to.

House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying To Kill Cuddy

Tim Roth | I’ll pretend for a second that I don’t know how these things work and propose that Roth’s Lie to Me character, the genius Dr. Cal Lightman, take the reins at PPTH, if only because he’ll be able to glean each and every time his world-class diagnostician is trying to dupe him.

Calista Flockhart | Now that Brothers & Sisters has retired to that wine cellar in the sky, she’s available. And we like the idea of her playing a Dean who on the surface comes across as Ally McBeal-style flighty — something that prompts House to dial down his game and let his guard down — when in actuality she’s playing him, being secretly as razor-sharp and cunning as the duplicitous doc.

Tom Welling | Another way to go in filling Cuddy’s shoes is by totally zagging and making House answer to some young whippersnapper. We see a scenario where the Smallville alum plays a suited-up, top-of-his-class Harvard grad who thinks he knows all there is to know about his primo new job, but is in for a rude awakening as to how things really work when one of your subordinates is a super… maniac.

Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Parks and Recreation Cast as Tammy No. 1?

Keri Russell | Think Welling’s character, only… even prettier. Already a de facto member of the Fox family from her turn on last season’s Running Wilde — and beloved since her days as Felicity — she could play a preternaturally brilliant administrator who knocks ladies man Chase off his game as much as she professionally perturbs House.

Allison Janney | This bit of dreamcasting perhaps gets us most excited, the idea of TV’s erstwhile C.J. Cregg boarding the Fox drama as a no-nonsense Dean of Medicine who perhaps condones House’s envelope-tearing therapies a smidgen more than Cuddy did, yet nonetheless takes an almost sadistic delight in making him fight for his way. Janney is lethal with well-crafted banter and zingers, so seeing this four-time Emmy winner crackle in scenes with Laurie, a four-time nominee, would certainly elevate our pulse.

Who would you like to see fill the void on House?

Tags:

Comments (775)

• Ahhahahahahahahhaha
    hahahahahahahahahah

Do your think the TPTB really need to worry about the Dean of Medicine position – they need to find a way to keep the main character out of the big house and back to being a doctor – and I thought he was a supposed to a brilliant doctor and now he is driving through ex girlfriends houses. Please stop with all of the diversions. How many patients are dying because House is not seein any patients,because he would rather be with hookers, driving monster trucks, drinking MaiTai’s at the beach, getting married to green card hookers, taking drugs,and crashing cars into houses. House doesn’t look brilliant – he looks pathetic,sad and irredeemable.

Focus on NOT getting CANCELLED YOUR RATINGS ARE IN THE TOILET not HIRING the NEW DEAN OF MEDICIENE
    WHAT A BUNCH OF BOOBS.

Comment by ebowers – June 9, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, the need to find a way to keep House out of prison. And to be able to keep his medical license after what he did. I really want back the brilliant, Sherlock Holmes-like Doctor that House used to be.

Comment by Lois – June 9, 2011 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh ebowers, the only thing that is beginning to look pathetic and sad are your ridiculous comments. If you are so disgusted with the show, why are you here?

Comment by timshel – June 10, 2011 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these. I think it would be AMAZING if Foreman got the job.House’s worst nightmare would be TV GOLD for us!

Comment by David B. – June 9, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tennant or Alan Rickman…a sexy alpha male Brit would keep HOUSE on his toes!

Comment by Teri – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad sela ward has CSI NY i would love to have her back :) idk i think they need a female character house will be too male dominated

Comment by Chelsea – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janeane Garofalo???? No way, I hate her

Comment by cisco – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Garofalo? Yes! Love her!

Comment by mowgo – June 12, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tim Roth would be awesome!!!

Comment by Noemi – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Garofalo would turn off most viewers. So, no thanks.

Janney and Roth would both be fun. I agree with most people that it should be a woman. I personally, will miss Cuddy.

Comment by Stephanie McDermott – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please don’t speak for “most viewers”. Just speak for yourself.

Comment by Lois – June 9, 2011 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Garofalo would be great. Funny, witty and she’d make SURE they wouldn’t write her character as ridiculously as they wrote Cuddy.

Comment by Derdriui – June 10, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There needs to be a female!!!

Comment by Joanie – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lauren Graham would be great and a good match for Wilson. definately no to keri russell, she will always be felicity and not much more. not to sure about tom welling either but out of those mentioned i would choose him.

Comment by amber – June 9, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen Fry for sure.
    how can you consider ANYONE else if he really is available???

Comment by kerouan – June 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOODBYE DEAR CUDDY. God who out there could handle House without killing him. I just don’t know.

Comment by Samuel Croft – June 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Wilson gets promoted, but if not, Sela Ward’s Stacy would be awesome or Stephen Fry~ a reunion of Jeeves & Wooster…very funny & very cool, too!

Comment by Melissa Hash – June 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone but Janeane Garofalo!! That would be enough to make me stop watching!

Comment by Adam – June 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only Stephen Fry

Comment by Mackey – June 9, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like one of these two:

I love the idea of Calista Flockhart. I think she’s incredibly talented and could fill the skirt and heels of Cuddy easily.

I would also love to see them bring back Amber Tamblyn. I know it’s crazy, but her character brought so much depth to the show. Having her as Houses boss would make for both great drama and comedy.

Comment by Jack – June 9, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • David Tennant would be amazing. Lol.

Comment by pat – June 9, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRING BACK CAMERON!

Comment by Albert – June 9, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DR. CAMERON SHOULD BE THE DEAN OF MEDICINE

Comment by RAYSHAUN – June 9, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think either Julianne Moore or David McCallum would make great replacements, because I’m guessing Jennifer Morrison will be out of the question for a new Dean of Medicine. (*sadface*)

Comment by Molly – June 9, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s Janeane Garofalo I will never watch the show again. Can’t stand that left wing nut job.

Comment by MIDGAGIRL – June 9, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Heather Locklear would be great!

Comment by Ellie – June 9, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s a thought what is Susan Lucci up to since All My Children has been canceled…bet she could give House a run for his money!!!

Comment by J Coatney – June 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they can’t get Lisa Edelstein back, then they should get Meryl Streep. She’d have House sorted out in no time. She can play a bitch better than most.

Comment by Monica – June 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Cuddy staaaaaaaaaay !!! I don’t want you to go ! :(

Comment by Melissa – June 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE if Stephen Fry came into House, I think it would be great to have 2 english men in the show. If not then I guess Tim Roth would be brilliant. I think he would give House a run for his money

Comment by Aaron O'Connnor – June 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling ALL THE WAY!!! I would love to see House answering to someone he’d be competing with in a whole new way. And Welling could be Wilson’s new bff…

Comment by Rachel – June 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG Stephen Fry would be legend on House!!! Fry and Laurie together again <3
    but on the other hand, Tom Welling… yum =)
    my brother suggested Cameron to come back and take Cuddys place like she tried back in another series! That could be interesting

Comment by Jess – June 9, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • definitely promote Wilson. It’ll give the writers more excuses to give Robert Sean Leonard more air time. And i’m sure all House fans would be in agreement when i say that would be awesome :D.

Comment by Tom McNulty – June 9, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fry, Welling, or Janney. I’d be really psyched by any of them.

Keri Russell or Calista Flockheart? Don’t make me have to punch somebody.

Comment by SMPnyc – June 9, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keri Russel would be the best fit

Comment by Blokes with jokes – June 9, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they get Calistal Flockhart, I’ll stop watching.

Comment by lapinova – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on now. Any true fan of House started watching it because of their love for Fry and Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster, A Bit of Fry and Laurie and even BlackAdder. I myself (plus my family) have been praying for Fry to show up as a patient or friend of House’s since day one. Making him Dean of Medicine for the last season and already knowing House would be epic. Even if Fry’s character and House don’t know each other form med school or anywhere else, it would be an epic ending to an epic show.

Fry and Laurie are proven to be AMAZING together. DO IT ALREADY!!! :D

Comment by Gabs – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I don’t agree that people only started watching because of Fry & Laurie and their past work together, although I’m sure it did bring some people to the show, I too have been waiting for Stephen Fry to show up in some capacity. Would be a great episode for sure.

Comment by timshel – June 10, 2011 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Stephen Fry stars in this show then I can die peacefully. That would be simply too awesome. However, knowing that TPTB at House will do the opposite of what fans want, then, who knows.

How great would it be to see him on screen? I agree with someone here who wrote that they should do a story arc with Stephen and then let Wilson take over. The perfect ingredients to a final season.

I love Lisa Edelstein but my mourning period for Cuddy’s departure is OVER. I advice all the fangirls to do the same. Stop suffering over a character that was ruined anyway.

Comment by maria – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom is the best :) and really needs to get on our screen fast , we miss smallvile alot !!!

Comment by Daniel – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TIM ROTH. Definitely.

Comment by luke – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BORING! None of these people even slightly interest me as replacements.. I don’t thin Cuddy can ever be replaced..It won’t work.. The House people shot themselves and mortally wounded them selves with the move to low-ball Lisa Edelstein..

Comment by TunaFish – June 9, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shatner

Comment by RAMbo – June 9, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John C. McGinley for sure!

Comment by Shane – June 9, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely would LOVE to see Calista Flockhart! <3'd her in Ally McBeal.

Comment by kristian – June 9, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously Stephen Fry! Anyone who disagrees, clearly hasn’t see “A Bit of Fry & Laurie”. House MD would turn into the most amazing thing on TV!

Comment by Robin – June 9, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’d all suck at this role! I love Tim Roth and Lie to me but I would prefer Kelli Williams! She would make me watch this – shadow of a show fans loved – again. But I guess I would watch everything she appears on, so…

Comment by JJ – June 9, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Carrie Anne Moss….

Comment by JL – June 9, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephen Fry would be wonderful! Love him

Comment by Lori – June 9, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Janney should do this role with exactly the character she played in “10 thing I hate about you”, she was an excellent additionto any cast and would be sensational in this role.

Comment by Heather – June 9, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Until you mentioned Tim Roth, this article was a load of crap. House needed Cuddy, and only Cuddy. He burned his bridges, and there’s no going back. Not without someone having MORE credibility than Cuddy, MORE appreciation for House’s gifts, and MORE ability to make them all legit in a hospital setting, despite his fatal flaws. Good LUCK, writers!

Comment by Juan Valdez – June 9, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Diane Lane. She is sweet and sassy :)

Comment by Cheryl – June 9, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh, I like that suggestion. She’s excellent.

Comment by timshel – June 10, 2011 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voting for Keri Russell!

Comment by Diomedis – June 9, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think any of them will make a good boss. I watch the show religiously and don’t think they have what it takes to keep House in line! Don’t need another “sex line” in the show by casting a woman, lets see some new ideas other then being in love with the boss. I think 13 might make a good boss, what about bumping up one of the guys on House’s team???

Comment by Jenn – June 9, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane Lynch… nuff said…

Comment by Your mom – June 9, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson! Hello its obvious he would be perfect!

Comment by Lisa Scott – June 9, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post