Fall TV Mystery: Who'll Be House's New Boss?

It’s a job we wouldn’t wish on anyone in the medical community: lording over the brilliant if bullheaded Dr. Gregory House. And yet it is a position that must be filled, given that Fox’s House is heading into its next season sans Lisa Edelstein as Princeton Plainsboro’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. Lisa Cuddy. What sort of superior should the show introduce to keep House in check? Female, male? Prickly, hunky? We have some ideas….

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on House, Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe and More

Series creator David Shore says the possibilities for picking Cuddy’s successor are “wide open…. Everything’s on the table” — promoting Wilson included. And yet we have the strong feeling that the writers won’t be able to resist the opportunity to shake things up with a brand-new boss person.

“It’s safe to say there’ll be new players next season. Some,” Shore told us. And with Edelstein gone and Olivia Wilde expected back only in measured doses (as Thirteen), “Yes, we would want to have a female presence, absolutely.”

So here are our picks, both femmes and fellas, to (try to) keep the House in order.

Stephen Fry | This Brit wit has before teamed with his BFF Hugh Laurie in the BBC’s A Bit of Fry & Laurie and ITV’s Jeeves and Wooster. He’s also familiar to Fox faithful from his intermittent gig as Dr. Gordon Wyatt on Bones. We could see Fry playing a Dean of Medicine with whom House strikes an instant connection — Wilson’s jealous, what? —  though Laurie might be tempted to slip out of his American accent now and again.

Janeane Garofalo | The sometime comedienne has been laboring to break into the TV drama biz, first on 24 and most recently on the short-lived Criminal Minds spin-off. On House, she could give as well as she gets, and probably with little to none of that palpable sexual tension viewers grew used to.

House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying To Kill Cuddy

Tim Roth | I’ll pretend for a second that I don’t know how these things work and propose that Roth’s Lie to Me character, the genius Dr. Cal Lightman, take the reins at PPTH, if only because he’ll be able to glean each and every time his world-class diagnostician is trying to dupe him.

Calista Flockhart | Now that Brothers & Sisters has retired to that wine cellar in the sky, she’s available. And we like the idea of her playing a Dean who on the surface comes across as Ally McBeal-style flighty — something that prompts House to dial down his game and let his guard down — when in actuality she’s playing him, being secretly as razor-sharp and cunning as the duplicitous doc.

Tom Welling | Another way to go in filling Cuddy’s shoes is by totally zagging and making House answer to some young whippersnapper. We see a scenario where the Smallville alum plays a suited-up, top-of-his-class Harvard grad who thinks he knows all there is to know about his primo new job, but is in for a rude awakening as to how things really work when one of your subordinates is a super… maniac.

Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Parks and Recreation Cast as Tammy No. 1?

Keri Russell | Think Welling’s character, only… even prettier. Already a de facto member of the Fox family from her turn on last season’s Running Wilde — and beloved since her days as Felicity — she could play a preternaturally brilliant administrator who knocks ladies man Chase off his game as much as she professionally perturbs House.

Allison Janney | This bit of dreamcasting perhaps gets us most excited, the idea of TV’s erstwhile C.J. Cregg boarding the Fox drama as a no-nonsense Dean of Medicine who perhaps condones House’s envelope-tearing therapies a smidgen more than Cuddy did, yet nonetheless takes an almost sadistic delight in making him fight for his way. Janney is lethal with well-crafted banter and zingers, so seeing this four-time Emmy winner crackle in scenes with Laurie, a four-time nominee, would certainly elevate our pulse.

Who would you like to see fill the void on House?

1. ebowers says:

Ahhahahahahahahhaha
    hahahahahahahahahah

Do your think the TPTB really need to worry about the Dean of Medicine position – they need to find a way to keep the main character out of the big house and back to being a doctor – and I thought he was a supposed to a brilliant doctor and now he is driving through ex girlfriends houses. Please stop with all of the diversions. How many patients are dying because House is not seein any patients,because he would rather be with hookers, driving monster trucks, drinking MaiTai’s at the beach, getting married to green card hookers, taking drugs,and crashing cars into houses. House doesn’t look brilliant – he looks pathetic,sad and irredeemable.

Focus on NOT getting CANCELLED YOUR RATINGS ARE IN THE TOILET not HIRING the NEW DEAN OF MEDICIENE
    WHAT A BUNCH OF BOOBS.

• Lois says:

You’re right, the need to find a way to keep House out of prison. And to be able to keep his medical license after what he did. I really want back the brilliant, Sherlock Holmes-like Doctor that House used to be.

• timshel says:

Oh ebowers, the only thing that is beginning to look pathetic and sad are your ridiculous comments. If you are so disgusted with the show, why are you here?

2. David B. says:

None of these. I think it would be AMAZING if Foreman got the job.House’s worst nightmare would be TV GOLD for us!

3. Teri says:

David Tennant or Alan Rickman…a sexy alpha male Brit would keep HOUSE on his toes!

4. Chelsea says:

Too bad sela ward has CSI NY i would love to have her back :) idk i think they need a female character house will be too male dominated

5. cisco says:

Janeane Garofalo???? No way, I hate her

6. Noemi says:

Tim Roth would be awesome!!!

7. Stephanie McDermott says:

Garofalo would turn off most viewers. So, no thanks.

Janney and Roth would both be fun. I agree with most people that it should be a woman. I personally, will miss Cuddy.

8. Joanie says:

There needs to be a female!!!

9. amber says:

Lauren Graham would be great and a good match for Wilson. definately no to keri russell, she will always be felicity and not much more. not to sure about tom welling either but out of those mentioned i would choose him.

10. kerouan says:

Stephen Fry for sure.
    how can you consider ANYONE else if he really is available???

11. Samuel Croft says:

GOODBYE DEAR CUDDY. God who out there could handle House without killing him. I just don’t know.

12. Melissa Hash says:

I hope Wilson gets promoted, but if not, Sela Ward’s Stacy would be awesome or Stephen Fry~ a reunion of Jeeves & Wooster…very funny & very cool, too!

13. Adam says:

Anyone but Janeane Garofalo!! That would be enough to make me stop watching!

14. Mackey says:

Only Stephen Fry

15. Jack says:

I would like one of these two:

I love the idea of Calista Flockhart. I think she’s incredibly talented and could fill the skirt and heels of Cuddy easily.

I would also love to see them bring back Amber Tamblyn. I know it’s crazy, but her character brought so much depth to the show. Having her as Houses boss would make for both great drama and comedy.

16. pat says:

David Tennant would be amazing. Lol.

17. Albert says:

BRING BACK CAMERON!

18. RAYSHAUN says:

DR. CAMERON SHOULD BE THE DEAN OF MEDICINE

19. Molly says:

I think either Julianne Moore or David McCallum would make great replacements, because I’m guessing Jennifer Morrison will be out of the question for a new Dean of Medicine. (*sadface*)

20. MIDGAGIRL says:

If it’s Janeane Garofalo I will never watch the show again. Can’t stand that left wing nut job.

21. Ellie says:

I think Heather Locklear would be great!

22. J Coatney says:

Here’s a thought what is Susan Lucci up to since All My Children has been canceled…bet she could give House a run for his money!!!

23. Monica says:

If they can’t get Lisa Edelstein back, then they should get Meryl Streep. She’d have House sorted out in no time. She can play a bitch better than most.

24. Melissa says:

Please Cuddy staaaaaaaaaay !!! I don’t want you to go ! :(

25. Aaron O'Connnor says:

I would LOVE if Stephen Fry came into House, I think it would be great to have 2 english men in the show. If not then I guess Tim Roth would be brilliant. I think he would give House a run for his money

26. Rachel says:

Tom Welling ALL THE WAY!!! I would love to see House answering to someone he’d be competing with in a whole new way. And Welling could be Wilson’s new bff…

27. Jess says:

OMG Stephen Fry would be legend on House!!! Fry and Laurie together again <3
    but on the other hand, Tom Welling… yum =)
    my brother suggested Cameron to come back and take Cuddys place like she tried back in another series! That could be interesting

28. Tom McNulty says:

definitely promote Wilson. It’ll give the writers more excuses to give Robert Sean Leonard more air time. And i’m sure all House fans would be in agreement when i say that would be awesome :D.

29. SMPnyc says:

Fry, Welling, or Janney. I’d be really psyched by any of them.

Keri Russell or Calista Flockheart? Don’t make me have to punch somebody.

30. Blokes with jokes says:

Keri Russel would be the best fit

31. lapinova says:

If they get Calistal Flockhart, I’ll stop watching.

32. Gabs says:

Oh come on now. Any true fan of House started watching it because of their love for Fry and Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster, A Bit of Fry and Laurie and even BlackAdder. I myself (plus my family) have been praying for Fry to show up as a patient or friend of House’s since day one. Making him Dean of Medicine for the last season and already knowing House would be epic. Even if Fry’s character and House don’t know each other form med school or anywhere else, it would be an epic ending to an epic show.

Fry and Laurie are proven to be AMAZING together. DO IT ALREADY!!! :D

• timshel says:

While I don’t agree that people only started watching because of Fry & Laurie and their past work together, although I’m sure it did bring some people to the show, I too have been waiting for Stephen Fry to show up in some capacity. Would be a great episode for sure.

33. maria says:

If Stephen Fry stars in this show then I can die peacefully. That would be simply too awesome. However, knowing that TPTB at House will do the opposite of what fans want, then, who knows.

How great would it be to see him on screen? I agree with someone here who wrote that they should do a story arc with Stephen and then let Wilson take over. The perfect ingredients to a final season.

I love Lisa Edelstein but my mourning period for Cuddy’s departure is OVER. I advice all the fangirls to do the same. Stop suffering over a character that was ruined anyway.

34. Daniel says:

Tom is the best :) and really needs to get on our screen fast , we miss smallvile alot !!!

35. luke says:

TIM ROTH. Definitely.

36. TunaFish says:

BORING! None of these people even slightly interest me as replacements.. I don’t thin Cuddy can ever be replaced..It won’t work.. The House people shot themselves and mortally wounded them selves with the move to low-ball Lisa Edelstein..

37. RAMbo says:

Shatner

38. Shane says:

John C. McGinley for sure!

39. kristian says:

Absolutely would LOVE to see Calista Flockhart! <3'd her in Ally McBeal.

40. Robin says:

Obviously Stephen Fry! Anyone who disagrees, clearly hasn’t see “A Bit of Fry & Laurie”. House MD would turn into the most amazing thing on TV!

41. JJ says:

They’d all suck at this role! I love Tim Roth and Lie to me but I would prefer Kelli Williams! She would make me watch this – shadow of a show fans loved – again. But I guess I would watch everything she appears on, so…

42. JL says:

My vote is for Carrie Anne Moss….

43. Lori says:

Stephen Fry would be wonderful! Love him

44. Heather says:

Janney should do this role with exactly the character she played in “10 thing I hate about you”, she was an excellent additionto any cast and would be sensational in this role.

45. Juan Valdez says:

Until you mentioned Tim Roth, this article was a load of crap. House needed Cuddy, and only Cuddy. He burned his bridges, and there’s no going back. Not without someone having MORE credibility than Cuddy, MORE appreciation for House’s gifts, and MORE ability to make them all legit in a hospital setting, despite his fatal flaws. Good LUCK, writers!

46. Cheryl says:

I would like to see Diane Lane. She is sweet and sassy :)

47. Diomedis says:

Voting for Keri Russell!

48. Jenn says:

I don’t think any of them will make a good boss. I watch the show religiously and don’t think they have what it takes to keep House in line! Don’t need another “sex line” in the show by casting a woman, lets see some new ideas other then being in love with the boss. I think 13 might make a good boss, what about bumping up one of the guys on House’s team???

49. Your mom says:

Jane Lynch… nuff said…

50. Lisa Scott says:

Wilson! Hello its obvious he would be perfect!