Fall TV Mystery: Who'll Be House's New Boss?

It’s a job we wouldn’t wish on anyone in the medical community: lording over the brilliant if bullheaded Dr. Gregory House. And yet it is a position that must be filled, given that Fox’s House is heading into its next season sans Lisa Edelstein as Princeton Plainsboro’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. Lisa Cuddy. What sort of superior should the show introduce to keep House in check? Female, male? Prickly, hunky? We have some ideas….

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on House, Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe and More

Series creator David Shore says the possibilities for picking Cuddy’s successor are “wide open…. Everything’s on the table” — promoting Wilson included. And yet we have the strong feeling that the writers won’t be able to resist the opportunity to shake things up with a brand-new boss person.

“It’s safe to say there’ll be new players next season. Some,” Shore told us. And with Edelstein gone and Olivia Wilde expected back only in measured doses (as Thirteen), “Yes, we would want to have a female presence, absolutely.”

So here are our picks, both femmes and fellas, to (try to) keep the House in order.

Stephen Fry | This Brit wit has before teamed with his BFF Hugh Laurie in the BBC’s A Bit of Fry & Laurie and ITV’s Jeeves and Wooster. He’s also familiar to Fox faithful from his intermittent gig as Dr. Gordon Wyatt on Bones. We could see Fry playing a Dean of Medicine with whom House strikes an instant connection — Wilson’s jealous, what? —  though Laurie might be tempted to slip out of his American accent now and again.

Janeane Garofalo | The sometime comedienne has been laboring to break into the TV drama biz, first on 24 and most recently on the short-lived Criminal Minds spin-off. On House, she could give as well as she gets, and probably with little to none of that palpable sexual tension viewers grew used to.

House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying To Kill Cuddy

Tim Roth | I’ll pretend for a second that I don’t know how these things work and propose that Roth’s Lie to Me character, the genius Dr. Cal Lightman, take the reins at PPTH, if only because he’ll be able to glean each and every time his world-class diagnostician is trying to dupe him.

Calista Flockhart | Now that Brothers & Sisters has retired to that wine cellar in the sky, she’s available. And we like the idea of her playing a Dean who on the surface comes across as Ally McBeal-style flighty — something that prompts House to dial down his game and let his guard down — when in actuality she’s playing him, being secretly as razor-sharp and cunning as the duplicitous doc.

Tom Welling | Another way to go in filling Cuddy’s shoes is by totally zagging and making House answer to some young whippersnapper. We see a scenario where the Smallville alum plays a suited-up, top-of-his-class Harvard grad who thinks he knows all there is to know about his primo new job, but is in for a rude awakening as to how things really work when one of your subordinates is a super… maniac.

Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Parks and Recreation Cast as Tammy No. 1?

Keri Russell | Think Welling’s character, only… even prettier. Already a de facto member of the Fox family from her turn on last season’s Running Wilde — and beloved since her days as Felicity — she could play a preternaturally brilliant administrator who knocks ladies man Chase off his game as much as she professionally perturbs House.

Allison Janney | This bit of dreamcasting perhaps gets us most excited, the idea of TV’s erstwhile C.J. Cregg boarding the Fox drama as a no-nonsense Dean of Medicine who perhaps condones House’s envelope-tearing therapies a smidgen more than Cuddy did, yet nonetheless takes an almost sadistic delight in making him fight for his way. Janney is lethal with well-crafted banter and zingers, so seeing this four-time Emmy winner crackle in scenes with Laurie, a four-time nominee, would certainly elevate our pulse.

Who would you like to see fill the void on House?

1. Ellen says:

I understand the need for another woman – hopefully a stronger character than Cuddy, but I would be happy if they brought in a strong female member for the team (getting rid of Taub and Thirteen), and putting Kyle Chandler in as boss. Like Hugh Laurie, he can say a 1000 words with just a look. I’d love to see Jennifer Morrison back, too.

• Nam says:

Yes, yes, yes, yes times infinity. Kyle Chandler and Hugh Laurie together onscreen would probably make me implode. Add Jennifer Morrison back in and I’d die of an absolute gleegasm.

2. jake says:

Jennifer Beals…all the way. I would love to see her take on House.

3. Wendy says:

it has to be Stephen Fry – that would be awesome to see them work together again….. and hes already been a doctor in another fox show cool crossover lol

4. Fox & NBCU could have avoided this. I mean they had Lisa Edelstein who was THE BEST FIT for this role and then Shore went and weakened her character. Now they find themselves in a position to have to bring someone else in to replace her (at what cost??) but can they find someone who:

1) is a worthy adversary for House?

2) has the same dynamic with House and Wilson?

2) is a strong captivating presence on screen that gets fans instantly interested enough to forget whose shoes that person is trying to fill?

3) is willing to give up the opportunity to land a better and juicier role elsewhere in exchange for signing on for a salary which was LESS than Lisa was paid to co-star in a series that has gone downhill and is in its final season?

Seriously??

• Ann says:

If you don’t care why are here? Why do you keep posting the same things everyone an article about House is involved?
      Anyway, keep whining, scorned huddies are always amusing

5. )Ooops sorry if this posted twice!)

1) is a worthy adversary for House?

2) has the same dynamic with House and Wilson?

3) is a strong captivating presence on screen that gets fans instantly interested enough to forget whose shoes that person is trying to fill?

4) is willing to give up the opportunity to land a better and juicier role elsewhere in exchange for signing on for a salary which was LESS than Lisa was paid to co-star in a series that has gone downhill and is in its final season?

They are so screwed. They weakened Lisa’s character and it makes one wonder what they will do with her replacement. And why would you want to be the person who filled Cuddy’s shoes? A beloved character and actress? In the final season? Seriously?? I don’t even care who they get because the dynamic that was once House-Cuddy-Wilson is gone forever. So is my favorite show.

• Ania says:

Well, I want a new dean, never liked Cuddy and I’m glad she is gone. And I don’t care if you don’t care!

• Honey says:

I think you herorize LE a little bit too much in my opinion.Honestly i don`t share your opinion. Anyway,it is your right, but do yourself a favour and move on from House and follow LE career.
      LE left, it was her decision to leave not the producers decision!!!

Please,don´t ruin the fun for others who have still faith in this show.

6. Ania says:

I’d love Stephen Fry, if they want a woman I’d say Allison Janney as long as she won’t dress like a slut like Cuddy used to do. Oh, and let the new dean be a competent administrator!

• JT says:

But they like hookers in this show, so why not Dominika as a dean of medicine?

• Ania says:

You’re right, if someone like Cuddy was a dean so could be Dominika but, ops, Dominika doesn’t dress like a whore and she doesn’t show off her ass and boobs everytime she has the chance to do it just like Cuddy did!

• JT says:

hey how many eps for Dominika? I’ve just seen her in one ep, so she can work dressed a bikini in the next one!
          My boyfriend will like it, as House probably!

• JT says:

and let’s admit that cuddy’s job seems not so difficult to do, even Cameron has already done this.

• Joy says:

See, everyone could do a better job than Cuddy, even Cameron had a chance so no problem here! Actually everyone could do a better job than Cuddy. Glad we agree

• Joy says:

Lmao, so true!!!!

• JT says:

Cuddy was a whore, she never helped House, she just wanted him in her bed (and I think she also wanted wilson in her bed in season 3). Cameron, Dominika or someone else can do her job, for better or worse we don’t care, this role is not important in this show.
            My boyfriend wants a sexy girl as Cuddy, so why not Dominika?

• @JT says:

• JT says:

“Because I want to see a smart, witty, professional dean not someone like Cuddy. Just because Cuddy was a ridiculous dean it doesn’t mean we can’t have a woman who could do a great job in that role, got it?”

great job at what level? it’s not a big role, House will always do the same job with or without cuddy or an another dean of medicine, he’ll save patients, the dean of medicine has even nothing to do in this show, so they should just hire a sexy actress who will let him practice again as cuddy who left him everything he wanted to do.

• JT says:

eh oh I liked Cameron, and Cuddy for her plastic, but for me her role is not important for the show, so boobs and ass are enough for this role.

• JT says:

but my bf wants boobs and ass, dean of medicine is not a big role in this show, so why not a sexy girl? competent or incompetent we don’t care.

• Joy says:

You’re really an idiot, aren’t you? Lol, huddytards will be always morons. Thanks, I had fun, your idiocy is amusing, no wonder you like Cuddy/huddy. Bye :)

7. 1989 says:

STEPHEN FRY. end of the list :D

8. SnazzyO says:

Allison Janney would be awesome again on any TV show but kindof close to the Cuddy personality would be my guess.

Honestly, I think House went into a coma with this decision to let Lisa Edelstein get away. And make no mistake this was a producer screw up — no way does Lisa get any anger from me. My hopes are dim for anyone.

• Natalie says:

I do think its a little unfair of Lisa to leave a show after 7 years without much notice. she should at least return for a few episodes to tie up her story. For all the Cuddy fans out there at least. I watch for greg House and his interactions so its no great loss for me personally.

9. sara says:

I`d like Allison Janney as the new boss, too. She is an amazing actress.

I´d like a believable boss, never ever someone like Cuddy. She was ridiculus and an insult to every working women in powerful job positions. I Never liked her and the whole Huddy-arc.

I´m looking forward to the new season of House.

• Carol says:

I am a working mother with a 30 plus career in international diplomacy and university administration. I never found Cuddy at all insulting. In fact, I admired the character immensely and was particularly interested in the interplay of her tough professional persona with her damaged personal life. I learned the most about House in his varied and fraught interactions with Cuddy. I fear the next season will be hollowed out with Cuddy gone.

• Lucy says:

I’m a professional business woman and I never found her to be insulting or ridiculous. Guess it proves that people view these characters through their own filters.

• Laura says:

I’m a professional woman and I find Cuddy ridiculous and insulting!

• Eurydice says:

I never found Cuddy to be insulting, but she was certainly ridiculous – they wrote her that way. She was the Elmer Fudd in House’s Loony Tunes World of Medicine. Then they tried to turn a cartoon into a real live girl and it just didn’t work (for me, at least). Lisa did the best she could, but there’s only so much one can do with a bad character.

Having said that, Cuddy isn’t the reason I lost interest in the show – it’s that House never changes. I think it would be a hoot to see Allison Janney go toe-to-toe with House, but unless the writers want to change how House does business, Allison’s job will be thankless, eoo.

10. Ryan says:

They should Bring Back Cameron. She’s already got chemisty with House

• Albert says:

No, they never had any chemistry. That was one of the reasons why Hugh Laurie asked to stop the House/Cameron stuff. He never felt confortable acting with Jennifer Morrison and his acting was the weakest around her.

• karo says:

Yeah that`s why he won several awards during the House/cameron era.It couldn`t be that bad. In this moment where TPTB pushed cuddy into the forefront he received no awards anymore. Look,He and the show aren`t even nominated anymore. Huddy/Cuddy are ratings looser and a nightmare of the critics.

• Joan says:

Maybe because writers don’t know how to write good love stories in this show. Just look at Taub’s storyline (with his super sperm), I understand now why huddy was so lame! they should stop with romance, it’s really worse than Grey’s Anatomy.
          No women in this show and all will be ok again, Olivia Wilde out for many eps, what a great news, no CHIRTEEN! yes!

• Lois says:

They can’t bring back Cameron because Jennifer Morrison is starring in a new show on NBC.

11. Stacey says:

Allison Janney would make me watch House again, I love her!!

12. Natalie says:

I could see Alison playing the new captain on Castle. they are looking for a 40 something strict boss who is a bit flirty.

13. cc says:

calista or stephen fry! either one would be a great choice!

14. 5minutes says:

Janey would be fantastic and would probably ensure that House lasts a few more seasons.

The Calista Flockhart concept wouldn’t be bad, either, although not as successful.

Having Robert Sean Leonard at the top was my original first choice, but the more I think about it, the less I like it because it would wreck the dynamic of the show. Ditto with Jennifer Morrison coming back (if she could/would).

Stephen Fry would be entertaining for fanboys, but would kill the show with Laurie’s past comedy routines, and if you’re going to go that route, just get Rowan Atkinson to fill the role and come up with a cunning plan (with Baldrick’s assistance) on a weekly basis.

Or… they could just give Lisa Edelstein the money she wants and get the cast back.

• Derdriui says:

!!!!

… Oh my goodness. They should restage the fourth Blackadder, except in the context of the war on Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Libya (… so the fifth Blackadder) with House in the role of George!

Oh the cunning plans! I think Baldrick would make a real friend there. And the Blackadder guys with this budget! Richard Curtis and Ben Elton at the writing helm. Out with Yaitanes, Shore can go be grumpy somewhere else, Katie Jacobs can focus on not screwing up the show with The Wire guy, just give the Blackadder folks the money and see what happens!

15. Ann says:

Stephen Fry would be amazing but I’d wish to see a woman as a new dean, a competent, strong woman without a 20 years long crush on House.

16. Dave says:

Hopefully Hollywood learned their lesson with Criminal Minds SB and will never cast that hateful and disgusting human being Janeane Garofalo in another series. She will never have a successful show b/c a lot of Americans absolutely despise her.

• BrianR says:

Unfortunatly the liberals run the town and Garofalo is one of their own. They don’t see treason as a reason not to hire her.

• mowgo says:

Treason? hahahahahahahahahaha
        Let me guess, everyone who doesn’t have the same political opinions as you is guilty of treason.
        BTW, the ultra-conservative producers of 24 hired Garofalo to co-star on their show.

• mowgo says:

Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior failed because of the horrendous writing, not because of Garofalo. Because of the dreadful writing not even the most beloved actors in Hollywood could have saved that show.

17. peter says:

MIRA SORVINO!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE HAVE TO BE BACK i think they left unfinished bussines

• Dora says:

Good choice!

• ann from england says:

i really like the idea of mira sorvino coming back.she was a doctor who had a real connection with house.they would be amazing.only she would cost a kings ransom.would it be logical to pay this ammount knowing that the regular cast have had to take a pay cut?

18. ken kahn says:

I think it would be interesting if House took a page from its own book and made the replacement process into a contest like they did when House needed a replacement for his staff. It would be great to see House reaction to various different ‘bosses’ with widely varying personalities and management styles.

It’s too bad Candice Bergen is already on the show; I think she would make a great choice.

19. Lola says:

TOM WELLING!!!! xD

20. LizzieE says:

How about Kathy Griffin – hasn’t the show become a joke anyway?

21. dan says:

Tom Welling would be a lot of fun. Wouldn’t mind seeing Lauren Holly, Marlee Matlin, Jennifer Beals or Kelli Williams(but would prefer someone to pick up their shows) Kelli Giddish, Charisma Carpenter, Gina Torres, Robin Weigert…too open.
    For a man in charge, Louis Ferreira would a good choice.
    And 13 is great, but I think should either stay for the season or go.

22. Carol says:

Melina Kanakaredes, Rachel Weitz, Elizabeth Mitchell, Gillian Anderson, Diane Wiest all would do O.K. If it has to be a woman I want Angela Bassett. She is smart,tough, no nonsense, gorgeous, and unrelenting.

My first choice male would be Sam Waterston. He has the gravitas, the height, the moral strength and the acting chops to go up against Hugh Laurie. Too bad they already used David Morse, he would have been terrific. Is Idris Alba available? He would be outstanding.

My absolute top preference would be that Fox/NBCU come to their senses and pay Lisa Edelstein what she is worth. They need to beg her on their knees to come back for the final season of the show.

• Ava L says:

LE wasn’t worth what they were paying her to begin with. She had very little range as an actress, which is why Cuddy always came across as cranky and bitchy.

I sincerely hope she gets a new acting gig soon so all her fans can follow her over to that show and stop whining about how cuddy is so important to House.

As someone upthread said, the show was at it’s best when it focused on House/team and House/Wilson and cuddy was merely a background character. Ratings and quality of writing suffered when huddy emerged as a story focus.

It will be refreshing to see the show return to that format sans cuddy. And i think anyone they get to play a role of House’s boss will be a huge improvement over what they had…. unless they get Susan Sarandon. That would be equally terrible to keeping LE around.

• Carol says:

Any new dean of medicine will have to play essentially the same role that Cuddy did: the dean hires and protects House from the Board. Additionally the dean will have to approve House’s extravagant and irregular medical procedures and run interference with outraged patients and their families. If the new dean does not do these things then House will be out of a job and the show will end. The role of the new dean will be to balance the frustrations of supporting/encouraging House with the frustrations of limiting and checking House. The job is by definition all about the frustration and anxiety of dealing with House. What was remarkable was that Lisa Edelstein took this one-note character and gave it such range and rich texture.

So the question becomes what is the motivation for a new dean to do these things for House? It will be interesting to see what the writers come up with in the way of back story and explanation for the new dean being willing to indulge House’s worst professional behaviors and personal excesses, like his drug addiction.

The writers have their work cut out for them no matter who is cast as dean of medicine at PPTH.

• Luc says:

The show was at its best when it focused on House and every relationship was a way to see into him. It wasn’t just Cuddy. When the put too much emphasis on the others, but don’t somehow circle it back to an insight into House, it’s unsatisfactory. The earlier formula of REVEALIBNG House THROUGH relationships with others versus SHOWING House IN relationships with others was magic.

23. D says:

Allison Janney as dean; Keri Russell as a doctor. It would be so awesome.

24. Olivia says:

They should bring Cameron back as his boss.

25. Ryan says:

When I first saw the headline I was thinking a 30-something, probably male would be an interesting new dynamic. It also means no new love interest or will they won’t they for House and the new boss.

And as an FYI to Fox, I’m an average looking 30 year old…..lol

26. SiouxieSioux says:

Actually I’d think it would be hilarious to have House’s new Boss be the type of guy Rob Lowe plays on Parks and Recreation, if not himself. I’d really like to see how House copes with that kind of sparkling optimism.

27. izzy says:

I vote for either Stephen Fry or Alison Janney!

28. Sweetest Thing says:

Cameron

29. emilia says:

It should definetly be a woman. Maybe they could bring Kate from Antartica. Maybe it should be Nolan.

30. emilia says:

On second thought, they should bring back Cameron. That would be great!

• Kate says:

I’d love to see the Cameron of Big Baby (when she replaced Cuddy) be House’s boss but not his love interest. She was less of a pushover than Cuddy.

What the heck — bringing back Cameron would bring me back to the show.

• Lina says:

Cameron would ruin House as she ruined HIMYM. She better stay away. Everybody hated her when she was on the show i don´t see why she should be back.

• SNK says:

What ruined House was Cuddy/Huddy and all you LE fangirls. Ratings for this season proved that.

• Nessa says:

@ Lina And still she haved her own show and a couple of movie’s, still we can’t say the same about LE so bitter much?

31. pnkl8y says:

What about bringing back Chi McBride???

32. kiki says:

Steve Carrell :P

33. Kate says:

Just shows how short-sighted Shore was to get rid of Cameron.

I vote for CCH Pounder as House’s boss. Give him a real challenge.

• Carol says:

CCH Pounder would be a spectacular choice, great idea!

How about Linus Roache, Wendell Pierce, Barry Pepper, Michael Chiklis, or Tim Roth? I think a man would make more sense, given how extremely rare it is to have a female dean or head of hospital.

34. MacBratt says:

Jennifer Morrison of course as Allison Cameron.

35. Luc says:

It doesn’t matter who they hire, it will be a tough task to endear her to the audience, create enough back-history hints to solidify an appropriate open relationship with House, have chemistry with the team, and do it all in just a few minutes each episode. They can’t spend too much time on the new character, or it takes away from House. They can’t put too little emphasis on her, or they won’t be able to create a believable interaction. It’s a delicate balance.

There are obviously Cuddy haters and Cuddy lovers out there, but it really doesn’t matter where you fall or how hostile you get on these forums. The writers have a huge task ahead of them, and whoever they cast will have a challenge far beyond Lisa/Cuddy and “Huddy” popularity. The overall narrative structure is going to be difficult to maintain with this kind of change in the final season. It’s sad for the show, really.

• Nam says:

They don’t need to create a back history for the new character. (In fact the more I learned about Cuddy, the less I liked her.) All they need is someone who will state categorically that he/she will not put up with House’s antics and will not hesitate to fire him. Then House can spend the rest of the season trying to find creative ways to do his job WITHIN the rules. Kind of like he did in season one. Wouldn’t that be refreshing?

• timshel says:

Exactly. If it is in fact the last season then the character doesn’t really need that much of a storyline as a whole, never mind a back story. Just someone who fills the position and has the occasional interaction with House. And it’s not as if Cuddy ever controlled him or had him in check. He pretty much always did whatever he wanted, regardless of whether she agreed to it or not. There are a number of options to choose from in regards to the type of boss we will get to see. Looking forward to it.

36. DanvilleEyes (HAPPY) says:

Put me in as a person for the Head over House. I’d give him the run for hot seat. I would really keep an EYE on HOUSE ! You need a new face. Let me run the hospital. Being at the age 5 yrs over House, I’d have the advantage on him. Just a newer prospective or an extra on the show that would give House the run around, make his MIND think alot and wonder. Get back if you want to use me. I’ll be there.

37. Chris says:

All for Tom Welling! Great scenario you’ve suggested, Matt! Tom would be fantastic in a role like that.

38. Lina says:

I like Cuddy a lot. I don´t think i´ll feel confortable with a new boss but who knows. Tom Welling would be ok, i guess.

39. MJ says:

Promote Omar Epps’ character. He wants to advance and move up the ladder. That’s why he tried to leave and get a job somewhere else to be in charge. Now…why can’t I remember his character’s name.

40. O says:

I’d start watching the show again if they get Tom Welling!!

41. D says:

Allison Janey would be genius casting. That would help rescue house from the soap opera style doldrum its fallen into.

42. Danielle says:

Allison Janey!!!!! Well, to be honest, I’d love for it to be CJ Creig, but I’ll take what I can get. She could add some awesome sharp humor and whip House back into shape! She DEFINITELY gets my vote!!!

43. ebowers says:

I don’t see how they can pay a famous name and not LE. And who in their right mind would come along in this SINKING SHIP? No I’m not talking about the fans hating it, but mainly about the CRITICS hating it. Not a very good addition to their CV.check out the rating for the SEASON FINALE and no CRITICS CHOICE AWARDS AND MANY POLLS WITH VIEWERS CHOSING TO TUNE OUT OF HOUSE MD

Ok now seriously. They can’t promote Wilson because he is too weak. He is worse than Cuddy ever was in the past 2 years. ENABLER x10000000000. That and because promoting him brings them nowhere. Wilson position in PPTH is not and never was a factor, but the fact that he is House’s friend. They never needed an oncologist. Now they vacant his space but no need for a replacement.
    Now Foreman on the other hand. OE has only 18 ep this season. If they make him the DOM he can easy miss 4 episodes here and there. They vacant his place and bring a female character as one of the ducklings. Someone imposed by Foreman and in which House has no saying.
    Unfortunately most actresses would surely do their homework and view episodes from SEASON 7. If they have any brains at all I am certain after reviewing the hatchet job they did on the Cuddy character they would discreatly laugh and turn the offer down.

Since it has always been cannon that no one can supervise House but, CUDDY, Why Even Try.

So why not just let House and his Team supervise themselves. House and his team would report to the Board Of Directors that are never seen. This would be kind of like Charlie’s Angels. They would all gather in House’s office in front of the intercom and would be given the instructions on the patients symptoms. If they wanted to make it like “Mission Impossible” they could do the instructions via Tape and have it self destruct in 3 minutes.

This could save the Network Exes the money they would spend on a actress or actor for only one season or more likely if the ratings continue to sink like a stone with any luck House will be cancelled by mid season .

• Ava L says:

Fans and critics started abandoning the show when huddy took over and became the main focus of the show. Season finale ratings were dismal but had been falling steadily all season. Why was that? And no critic’s choice award nominations either. Why? Because this was the season of huddy. Probably the worst season of House overall from the beginning of the series.

It wasn’t canon that no one “could” supervise House but cuddy. Because cuddy’s version of supervising was to huff, roll her eyes, and tell him that she didn’t want to know what he was doing. It’s not that no one could, it’s that no one wanted to. Cuddy wanted to because he was the only man who paid attention to her. How many other male doctors in the hospital commented about her boobs or her ass on a daily basis. She wasn’t wearing those outfits for Wilson or Chase.

A monkey could do a better job of supervising than cuddy did.

I wouldn’t want to see Wilson or Foreman take that job. If Wilson did it would ruin any hope of mending their shattered friendship. And Foreman would be even more ineffective than cuddy because he can’t keep House in line with promises of sex.

Next season has so much potential. I can’t imagine any actor turning down a role on House.

• timshel says:

Yes on all points, Ava L

• Dani says:

Sorry But did you not catch ‘Selfish’ this season where Cuddy tried to get someone to supervise House, but nobody else would for fear of a nervous breakdown. I actually forget the number of times that Cuddy as the only person who could keep House in check has been mentioned throughout the series. TPTB painted themselves into this corner by making it a cornerstone of the canon.

I’m gutted that LE has walked, but if it has to be anyone then I’d like to see Fry as a Dean who’s actually more intelligent than House and for him finally to meet his match.

44. Sheldon W. says:

House OWNS Wilson, so promoting him would be an idiotic idea. Might as well just House the keys to White House.

I prefer the idea of Allison Janney or Tim Roth. Either could play characters who aren’t easily intimidated or outsmarted and both have the chops to go head-to-head with Laurie in a scene.

I’d prefer Janney just to keep the male-to-female ration unchanged, but I’m not married to that.

45. ash says:

Allison Janney! I will start watching House again.

46. Carmen says:

I hope it will be Tim Roth, he is (was) spectacular at ‘Lie to Me’, so I think he will be perfect as a ‘new Cuddy’.
    Maybe Stephen Fry? He would give to the show more… ridiculous stuff :)

But, my vote goes to Tim. But not. NOT Welling. He would be too young for House :P

47. Emgee says:

Want to REALLY shake up the show and draw back lapsed viewers? Make HOUSE the new boss and he has to deal with someone taking his place who’s as straight-laced as it gets (think Masters, just not annoying). The person is willing to bend the rules under the right circumstances, but House wants the doctor to be as crazy as himself.

48. Kathy Bates, 6 gun and all as a feisty no holds barred boss streight from Harry’s Law.

49. Kim says:

Emma Thompson! She and HL are also friends, they’d rock!

50. Emma Mills says: