Fall TV Mystery: Who'll Be House's New Boss?

It’s a job we wouldn’t wish on anyone in the medical community: lording over the brilliant if bullheaded Dr. Gregory House. And yet it is a position that must be filled, given that Fox’s House is heading into its next season sans Lisa Edelstein as Princeton Plainsboro’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. Lisa Cuddy. What sort of superior should the show introduce to keep House in check? Female, male? Prickly, hunky? We have some ideas….

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on House, Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe and More

Series creator David Shore says the possibilities for picking Cuddy’s successor are “wide open…. Everything’s on the table” — promoting Wilson included. And yet we have the strong feeling that the writers won’t be able to resist the opportunity to shake things up with a brand-new boss person.

“It’s safe to say there’ll be new players next season. Some,” Shore told us. And with Edelstein gone and Olivia Wilde expected back only in measured doses (as Thirteen), “Yes, we would want to have a female presence, absolutely.”

So here are our picks, both femmes and fellas, to (try to) keep the House in order.

Stephen Fry | This Brit wit has before teamed with his BFF Hugh Laurie in the BBC’s A Bit of Fry & Laurie and ITV’s Jeeves and Wooster. He’s also familiar to Fox faithful from his intermittent gig as Dr. Gordon Wyatt on Bones. We could see Fry playing a Dean of Medicine with whom House strikes an instant connection — Wilson’s jealous, what? —  though Laurie might be tempted to slip out of his American accent now and again.

Janeane Garofalo | The sometime comedienne has been laboring to break into the TV drama biz, first on 24 and most recently on the short-lived Criminal Minds spin-off. On House, she could give as well as she gets, and probably with little to none of that palpable sexual tension viewers grew used to.

House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying To Kill Cuddy

Tim Roth | I’ll pretend for a second that I don’t know how these things work and propose that Roth’s Lie to Me character, the genius Dr. Cal Lightman, take the reins at PPTH, if only because he’ll be able to glean each and every time his world-class diagnostician is trying to dupe him.

Calista Flockhart | Now that Brothers & Sisters has retired to that wine cellar in the sky, she’s available. And we like the idea of her playing a Dean who on the surface comes across as Ally McBeal-style flighty — something that prompts House to dial down his game and let his guard down — when in actuality she’s playing him, being secretly as razor-sharp and cunning as the duplicitous doc.

Tom Welling | Another way to go in filling Cuddy’s shoes is by totally zagging and making House answer to some young whippersnapper. We see a scenario where the Smallville alum plays a suited-up, top-of-his-class Harvard grad who thinks he knows all there is to know about his primo new job, but is in for a rude awakening as to how things really work when one of your subordinates is a super… maniac.

Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Parks and Recreation Cast as Tammy No. 1?

Keri Russell | Think Welling’s character, only… even prettier. Already a de facto member of the Fox family from her turn on last season’s Running Wilde — and beloved since her days as Felicity — she could play a preternaturally brilliant administrator who knocks ladies man Chase off his game as much as she professionally perturbs House.

Allison Janney | This bit of dreamcasting perhaps gets us most excited, the idea of TV’s erstwhile C.J. Cregg boarding the Fox drama as a no-nonsense Dean of Medicine who perhaps condones House’s envelope-tearing therapies a smidgen more than Cuddy did, yet nonetheless takes an almost sadistic delight in making him fight for his way. Janney is lethal with well-crafted banter and zingers, so seeing this four-time Emmy winner crackle in scenes with Laurie, a four-time nominee, would certainly elevate our pulse.

Who would you like to see fill the void on House?

1. Gabriela says:

hahahaha Tom Welling would be awesome

• Jill says:

We know how much you liked Smallville Matt, but its more than obvious that House needs to cast a new female for the show and not yet another male!

• Rhea says:

I definitely agree that we need another very interesting female character. But I would really like any of those men suggested in Cuddy’s role, but none of those women. I think a male boss would be interesting because House could not rely on the sexual tension mind games. But a strong woman in the mix since Cameron’s gone and 13 is apparently not going to be around as much. Sorry to hear that but I guess her movie career is really taking off. Just love House.

• chris says:

Kim Cattrall or Helen Hunt… Both Accomplished and can be serious women actors. Both would be enticing mental adversaries and give house a rise.

• Sean M says:

I agree — Helen Hunt would make an interesting choice; she can hold her own in arguments( Twister ) and has the star power and definitely the looks to go up against House.

• Joker says:

Tom Welling on House?

ABSOLUTELY GENIUS. I would SO watch the show if he were to be in it!!

• Beth says:

They could bring in new interns, all girls. They would make a distraction for both House and Welling-as-boss.

• Emgee says:

I’m pulling for Either Fry or Welling.

• Jane says:

Oh yes, please, Fry!

• Betty says:

Stephen Fry is the only option if they want people to keep watching. The show has been going down since season 4 and Fry would give it the extra spark it needs.

• Palma Lee Stephens says:

I agree. The show has been going downhill since the big shakeup 3 or so years ago with the residents.

I think Fry as head would be a genius move! I have been a long-time fan of Hugh Laurie since Blackadder and Stephen Fry, who played in that show also, would be a fantastic edition.

• sharon says:

I agree….love Fry!!!!

• Lois says:

Stephen Fry is the best choice IMHO.

• maggie says:

My 2 favorite picks as well. Stephen Fry works well with Hugh Laurie. Fry’s character could be just as brilliant as House, and it could be a battle of wills.
        Tom Welling would be a good addition, either as the new administrator or new doctor on his team.

The main problem with House next season isn’t going to be who will be the new Dean of Medicine. The main problem will be how they are going to write themselves out of the horrible season ending. House driving his car into Cuddy’s house seems like a show ending blunder.

• Rose says:

Yes, they should be more worried about how they are going to write themselves out of that stupid season finale than who will be the new boss. House went psycho and drove his car into a house full of people. He can’t just go back to work at the hospital like nothing happened. House should be in prison or a mental institution.

• Tom says:

Of course, Cuddy could have died of a sudden, unexpected stroke and it would be pointless to prosecute House under those circumstances, and it would really start the season off with a major event and give another thing for House to agonize over.

• Kim says:

I would so totally love Tim Roth in the part mainly because I hate that Lie to Me is over…what about the woman on that show???

• Joanna Stevens says:

Hey I’m thinking bring back Cameron! I’m not a big fan of her character but you need a female and she has sit in for Cuddy on the show and this would be a way to heat up, so to say, the show! the show is becoming too boring at the moment (although I do love it and still a big fan) Cameron would have the chance to get back at House for not loving her and things could get juicy between her, House and Chase! there are numerous options for you to use with her character.

• Emily says:

I completely agree. Cameron would be perfect for the job!

• Sam says:

Not gonna happen according to David “I don’t like to go over old territory” Shore; Cam already tried (and failed) as House’s boss.
          Honestly (in keeping with Shore’s stellar decision-making) they should just promote Domenika. She could be all “in old country, I was astro-physicist brain surgeon,” which is more than enough credentials.

• Ellen says:

The thing is, though, is that Cameron didn’t fail. She did a good job of working with House, rather than working against him or trying to control him. I was flabbergasted at the end of that episode when Cameron said she couldn’t do the job. WTH?

• stephanie says:

I like the Cameron idea. I also like J. Garaffalo. She is smart and witty. She needs something meaty like this to display her talent!

• Eddie says:

I would have to say a big NO to J. Garaffalo. I have watched every episode of House, and of Criminal Mind: Suspect Behavior despite her presence. No way will I watch House if she is added. She is wooden, and looks always pissed off. I’m not certain how she even gets acting rolls. I do remember a time when she used to be a comedianne, and she was very funny. I would watch her in a TV roll that played off of that quality she has (or used to have). But her present “dramatic” and “political” persona is over-bearing and un-watchable.

• Rhonda says:

Great idea!!! I like the female boss for House and the sexual tension is good for the roles and House and Cameron definitely have sexual tension.

• penny says:

How about one of the characters from nip\tuck . If we picking someone random I would like see jodie jodie foster

• nathan says:

even if David Shore had the balls to ask Jen to come back after he fired her for no apparent reason, is everyone completely forgetting that she has HIMYM, and a new show which shes headlining in called ‘Once Upon a Time’ :/
        we’ll be lucky if we even get see an appearance from her before this show ends.

• christina says:

I agree 100% I think Cameron would be a smart idea since she was already given the position of boss by Cuddy I think she could really control house and keep him from doing something stupid and plus I have always loved her character I hated the way they took her off the show.

• Lana says:

Janeane Garofalo! She can be sarcastic, serious, funny. . .all the things that House needs to keep him in check!

• Anne says:

Put Garafalo in this role and they will lose me any I dare say many others as loyal viewers as she has left a horrible taste in our mouths due to her ridiculous and incendiary political statements meant to disenfranchise many, over the past few years…these have given me an intense dislike for her, primarily because of her stupidity and run of at the mouth attitude she feels is afforded to her as a fringe “star”.

• Debbie says:

I agree with you 100%! If they put her on this show I will cease to watch it!

• Beth says:

I will start watching again if they cast Welling! I love the idea of him playing a ‘young whippersnapper’!

• Melody says:

Anne, you are so right, if Garafalo is cast in this role, it will be the end of this popular program. She may be popular with the Hollywood types, she is definitely NOT popular with (I would guess) the majority of the viewing audience. I know I will stop watching if she is cast.

• Lois says:

Just because you don’t like her, please don’t “guess” that the rest of the viewing audience doesn’t like her. If she didn’t have fans she wouldn’t be continually cast in TV shows and films.

• Andrea says:

I gotta agree. She is a turn off. I won’t watch Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior because I just can’t take her seriously – as a political pundit and now as an actress. Put her on House and I’m sure my interest will waiver.

• KarenD says:

WILL NOT watch the show with Janeane Garafalo! She’s an angry..unhappy..miserable person! I won’t be able to get past my dislike for her!

• Lois says:

Do you actually know her? Or do disagree with her politics and therefore imagine she’s unhappy & miserable?

• A says:

I totaly agree with you Karen. The show has been down the hill and with Garafalo or Calista Flockhart i will “unlike” it

• Rose says:

Whenever I see Garafalo on tv she seems like a person with a good sense of humor, and very intelligent. Maybe your dislike is just jealousy.

• stephanie says:

I don’t even consider those things when I am watching good acting. I suspect if you knew everyone’s political views, there would be many shows you wouldn’t watch.

• Andrea says:

Liberal, Tea Party, Conservative, Republican, Independent, Democrat, Bull Moose, I could care less. Pro Life/Pro Choice, Obama’s great/Obama’s inept, tax corporations/trickle-down effect, whatever else, I could care less. It’s the way your views are presented, political or otherwise, that can cause me to walk away. For me, Janeane does not have the talent to overcome the impression she has created of being nasty and mean-spirited.

• maggie says:

As an American Janeane Garofalo has the right to say whatever she wants, as do you. Just because you don’t agree with her doesn’t make what she says “ridiculous and incendiary.” She is quite knowledgeable on politics and world events. She isn’t trying to disenfranchise anyone, as she doesn’t have any power to deny legal rights to anyone. Garofalo is actually sticking up for average Americans.
          Garofalo starred on 24, which was produced by ultra-conservatives. They didn’t have a problem with Garofalo.

• Steve says:

I hope the producers are smart enough not to even consider Garafalo for the part. I, for one, will not watch the show if she is even a guest. I believe the ratings for House will plummet should she come anywhere near the show. She is simple a dispicable person.

• DCGalante says:

Garafalo? No way! I would have to stop watching. Her political rants make her unacceptable. Stopped watching L&O because of her.

• RD says:

NEVER Janeane Garofalo. I will stop watching if they announce that one. She is a lousy actress. I don’t watch Criminal Minds because she’s on there. She can’t act her way out of a paper bag. I was glad 24 went off with her too. Oh, please, don’t ruin another good show with this pick.

I think it should be a woman though. I would pick Keri Russell if it has to be from this list. Having both Stephen Fry and Russell would be the best idea in my opinion.

• Annie Y says:

Everyone I know will quit watching House if Garofalo appears anywhere on the show.

• Lauren says:

I love Janeane! But the role is not really suited for her…and the people who say she is a terrible actress just need to gtfo.

• Kristy says:

Yes, I agree, though I love Janeane, she doesn’t seem business savvy enough to be able to pull off this type of a role. She’s the awesome next door neighbour who will give you sarcastic (yet funny) advice when you don’t want it… Actually she’s kinda like house lol, but not right for this role. I do like the idea of the Smallville guy, he could do the whole piss off House routine… Actually that would be really funny lol!!

• Kristy says:

• maggie says:

Janeane Garofalo would be a good choice. She could give Hugh Laurie a run for his money in the acting department.

• william says:

Michelle Pfeiffer, Kim Basinger, or Rene Russo.

• Elizabeth says:

OMG. Stephen Fry would be amazing! Or, perhaps some no-nonsense person who could see right through House and get him to seriously question his behavior. Fry and Laurie together again. How fun would that be???

• Cheryl Taylor says:

Fry is the obvious choice. He was able to intimidate on Bones and still show humor and stability. Firm but open to thoughts. Great choice.

• Andrea Bojanic says:

Stephen Fry would be perfect. Fry and Laurie reunited !

• Dr. Reyes says:

Bringing back Cameron would be the best for the show and for the fans. A familiar face with a flirty past would keep it the same, all the while making House feel undermined.

• Lynda Weatherby says:

Definitely Allison Janney! What a combination…why is Cuddy leaving? I still had hopes she and House would get back together in some way.

• Lisa says:

I must agree. Allison Janney is the most talented actor of those mentioned. It would be refreshing to see her and Laurie go up against each other.

• Nancy says:

I agree on Allison. she was fantastic in West Wing and he ability to banter back and forth so fast is really a talent…

• Mindy says:

Allison Janney would be awesome opposite Hugh Laurie.

• Viv says:

Yes yes yes Stephen Fry!!!

• kathryn says:

I think that the lady from the CIA that he hired and fired should be his new boss…

• ALi says:

it will give a twist! having a younger, influential , strong and ofcourse witty boss will be awesome…. Tom Welling! he needs to work hard to build a unique attitude for gregory house!

• mollyrose says:

Candace Bergen would be a hoot and a fitting boss who could handle House (unlike Cuddy who was a totally ineffective boss). She is tough as nails and her sullen abrasive and sarcastic manner would be perfect for the part.

• Me says:

Jessica Biel! Replace one nice ass with another!

• Ashley says:

Roth or Russell!!! I would perfer Roth he is a great Actor!!! He could live up to the job of TRYING to keep Dr. House in check!!!

• Douglass says:

Charlie Sheen! He’s available – he & House could really have some freakish times with drugs & hookers …

• Stephanie says:

If Charlie Sheen is given a spot I’m over this program!!! I have been a fan since House first started and I agree it has gone down hill, although I remain a fan.I won’t watch Three and 1/2 men because of Sheen, his on screen and off screen antics are so ugly, the only reason his sitcom had any integrity was his supporting cast. I’m for Stephen Fry Hugh and Stephen would be amazing!!!

• jerry says:

Charlie sheen

• Edith says:

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pam says:

Well I suggest it be another brunette woman English/American so here is my list(it may be long but a good poll)Anna Friel,Famke Janssen(Jean Grey), Christa Miller(Scrubs),Rose McGowan(NipTuck),Lisa Rinna, Liz Hurley, Tina Fey, Juliette Binoche, Parker Posey, Gina Gershon, Sela Ward, Carla Gugino, Maggie Gyllenhal,Marcia Gay Harden, Embeth Davidtz, Diane Lane, Catherine McCormack, Michelle Monaghan, Bronagh Gallagher, Claudia Black, Cobie Smulders and Bonnie Wright just to name a few and give the producers and selection.

• Julianna says:

Sela Ward already appeared on ‘House’ as Stacy on Season 2 I guess. I like Stephen and Tom for the role!

• Aurore says:

Welling would be the fastest way to make me stop watching. If they have to replace Edelstein, it has to be by someone who can actually act.
      Among the propositions I could be interested by Fry because he has a great chemistry with Hugh Laurie.
      But I’m not really thrilled by anyone else as ppth boss. It make no sense to me that Cuddy leave after the final. They should make House work somewhere else.

• J says:

If you put Jeaneane Garoffolo on I will NEVER watch my favorite show again. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• John Harding says:

Maybe better and more bizarre would be the husband of the hospital attorney he used to have a thing for…cane vs. wheelchair? Or am I being too vicious?

• Tammy H says:

I can definatly see Calista Flockhart !! She would rock House.

• Barbara Sutton says:

I know exactly who to replace her with…even though, I hate to see her go! Sela Ward, House’s X- wife, there would be some very interesting history there and some sultry romance, so yes! Sela Ward!

• TheSmithy says:

I think they will need a woman to fill the position, because House wont listen to some jerk guy, just like he didnt to
      Vogler, And if House doesnt do what they tell him they’d just fire him. So Tom Welling wouldn’t work if he was some stuckup fresh-out-of-medschool guy. The only guys that would work would have to like House, or Have to be crazy too. And for a woman to fill the position i think it should be Kelli Williams who plays Gillian Foster on Lie to Me.

• Catherine says:

You can’t use the same old storyline and just add a new face, something needs to change, put some suit incharge but have a nurse or nurse practitioner, who sits outside the new deans office, who becomes the go between House and the new guy/girl. Let her be a new more conniving version of House and see how he tries to make this work.

• Kim in California says:

Lilly Tomlin. I would have said Candice Bergen, but they ruined that by making he Cuddy’s mom.

2. Elle says:

Tom Welling! He needs to be back on tv…stat!

3. Daniel says:

I’m loving the Allison Janney idea. Any time she shows up in a movie I become instantly pot committed.

• ell says:

This. Janney is amazing in everything she’s in.

I also like Tim Roth though. He has some swagger, seems like he could put House in his place a little for once in his life which would be interesting. RIP Lie to Me. :)

• Joshua says:

I’m in a 100% agreement.

• Mafalda says:

yeah! Allison Janney seems like the best idea from this list.

• NickC says:

WTF?You want them to replace a HOT woman with a not so hot one?…bad idea.Fans are so pissed you can’t just exchange one chick for another.It needs to be WILSON.House needs to regroup.We already like Wilson.With him being House’s boss would be funny and i could see him telling House what to do.

• Kelly says:

No, no, no. Janney needs to find herself as the new captain over on Castle. Much better fit. (In that I actually watch Castle.)

• jj says:

I totally agree!

• auramac says:

This one makes the most sense. I think she’d be great.

• Delirious says:

Defo. In fact, I’d love Janney as chief, and Keri Russell as the new doc/minion/Cameron/Thirteen/Masters… I’m buying that, totally.

• Linda says:

This is my choice. She’s good with barbs and would intimidate him sizewise, too.
      Second, Calista Flockhart though she seems too puny to handle House.

4. Kate says:

Tom Welling would really be awesome, an inspired idea! But I would not make him naive, rather he should be more of a foil – House is nothing without a good sparring partner. Someone who is as crafty as House but manages it with style. Anything but another attractive woman with sexual tension. Boring and overdone.

5. Liana in San Diego says:

Hands down, Allison Janney. She’s brilliant, she’d whip him into shape in no time, and she takes no prisoners. LOVE her!

6. Janet says:

I would love to see Tom Welling in a ‘normal’ role, any new role really!

7. Mia says:

Tom Welling!!! OMG!!! How do we talk TPTB into that?!

8. katie says:

Allison Janney! absolutely, please and thank you!

• patty says:

ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY Allison Jenny. She was a kick butt,take
      no prisoners, intelligent woman on west wing! So she’ll make
      house work twice as hard to get around her. And that smart and brassy
      kind of woman will get House’s motor going!!

9. Lauren says:

would love to see Tom Welling on “House” :)

10. Lauren says:

I actually love all of these suggestions and I love all of these actors. So any of these, and I’d be happy.

11. Alma J. says:

Definitely Tom Welling!!! He can do it all!

12. Sharona says:

Janney would be a blast – not sure she’d want to be on a show in a ratings decline, but a fangirl can dream. Too bad Shohreh Aghdashloo already played the performance artist…

I just hope they steer away from the “preternaturally” whatever people, be it beauty or youth or genius or tragic backstories. Superficial specialness doesn’t always translate to interesting characters. I also hope they steer away from making the character House’s new “nemesis” – they’ve gone to that well so often already.

• Lyn says:

I had the same thought when Shohreh Aghdashloo guest-starred! A pity they can’t bring her in as the new administrator. IMHO, they need someone with real gravitas for this part. Don’t want to see another insecure person House can reduce to a dithering mess every week.

13. Alex says:

Keri Russell prettier than Tom Welling? Uhhh nope. Would LOVE to see Tom Welling in another acting role.

All great suggestions, hope you guys call this one right like you did with Ashton Butcher in Two and a Half Men!

14. Karen says:

Stephen Fry FTW!!! Oh yeah!! :)

• Scott says:

Either Stephen Fry or Tim Roth would be awesome in that role.

• Carol says:

Hugh Laurie has been trying to get Stephen Fry on the show since it all started, and it would be super cool to see them together again in another project especially this one. I hope Stephen makes the cut. Think about it two English gentlemen both having to speak American to each other that would be the perfect ending to a fabulous show if Season 8 is going to the last.

• Tania says:

Carol, you DO realize that the person doesn’t have to be American to head a department. There are doctors from all over the world working in the US. They don’t necessarily have an American accent. Geez!

• Robin says:

Oh my carp, I would pretty much sell my soul for it to be Stephen Fry. I’ve been hoping and praying and dying for him just to guest once… a whole season would be too fantastic for my brain to fully comprehend.

15. Ralimise says:

Allison Janney hands down best option.

• Viv says:

Allison Janney is bigger than Oprah!!! Never watched House (props, Hughie… and lovely, loveyou Stephen Fry) but i would be g-l-u-e-d to the set to see those two gladiators bitch-slap each other.
      Make
      This
      Happen.

• Sarah Beth says:

LOVE HER. Was obsessed with her on West Wing and she was hilarious on the short lived Mr. Sunshine. I think she would be the perfect person to screw with House. If they bring her on, I will 100% watch next season with out her not so much

• Paula Team says:

Allison Janney is the only choice that could hold her own with House and he wouldn’t know what hit him. Was that bus wearing a thong??

16. Mark says:

Bring back Stacey! Sela Ward is the woman from House’s past I most want to see back on the show, and we know she’s great with Hugh Laurie.

From the list above, Janeane Garofalo is pretty genius.

• Anna says:

I TOTALLY AGREE!! Then we can keep that romantic tension that House has, fueled for sure!!!

• Chip says:

Sela Ward was my first thought as well. Although I have a hard time watching Garofalo in anything. I like the idea of a younger woman in that role, just to irritate House being expected to take orders from a younger female. Maybe bring Cameron back and create the tension between her, House and Chase.

• Deb says:

Hey – hold up there! Sela Ward is doing an amazing job on CSI:NY – much better character than Bonasera:)

17. Rob J. says:

Unless whichever actor they choose is going to be play8ing the warden of the prison House has been sentenced to, it’s going to be a waste of time.

18. Tiva4Life says:

With Tom Welling I would watch again ;) did stop watching because of Cameron who left.

19. Lucy says:

I would love to see Elizabeth Mitchell. She has that range to play hardass to House and yet also have a softer side.

• Gabriela says:

Elizabeth Mitchell was already on House, as a patient, as a Nun

• Maggie says:

Shows recycle actors in other roles all the time. Elizabeth Mitchell was also on SVU twice in two different roles as well. It’s not uncommon. And that was the first season, if I recall, I doubt a casual fan remembers.

• KC says:

Then you don’t know House or the writers. They NEVER use the same actor for 2 different roles no matter how small the role.

20. bonnie says:

I thought of Allison Janney, too. I think a very young person would be disastrous. Janney has the gravitas and also–what’s been missing a lot lately–the humor to deal well with House. They’ll have fun outwitting each other.

But are the powers that be listening?

God, is she available?

• Sarah Beth says:

LOVE HER. Was obssesed with her on West Wing and she was hilarious on the short lived Mr. Sunshine. I think she would be the perfect person to screw with House. If they bring her on, I will 100% watch next season with out her not so much

21. Windom says:

Jennifer Beals. She’s now free after The Chicago Code…She may be too close in appearance to Lisa Edelstein though.

22. Mark says:

Stephen Fry is the best option ever, closely followed by promoting Wilson, which is followed in turn, by having Stephen Fry for a guest arc, THEN promoting Wilson as an end-of-show coup de grace.

23. Liz says:

Get Tom Welling and The Office has at least one new fan, otherwise I don’t care. I just want to see Tom Welling on tv again. I’m already suffering Smallville withdrawals.

24. JohnDoe says:

Stephen Fry is a brilliant actor, but he’s gonna be a little busy this year with The Hobbit.

25. Lucy says:

The whole speculation is disheartening.

26. Alice says:

You know what would be awesome? Tim Roth on a fourth season of Lie to Me! Oh, wait…

27. Brittany says:

I like Tom Welling (ooh la la lol), Calista, as I loved her on both Ally Mcbeal and Brothers & Sisters, or Keri Russell-or what I’ll always call her, Felicity Porter. lol =)

28. Sydney says:

Who would I like to see fill the void? Oh I don’t know, the person who belongs there perhaps? But seeing as the chances of Lisa returning are non existent, the only person I can see being the new DoM is Wilson. Wasn’t the show’s renewal held up because of monetary issues? How exactly does replacing Cuddy with someone else for a lower wage solve that when they can simply promote Wilson and not have to fork up the money for another actor?

29. Dee says:

I would love to see Tom Welling back on TV, but unfortunately I don’t think he could compete with the caliber of Laurie’s acting.

30. Danielle H. says:

Tim Roth so he can still have a job ;)

31. James Firkins says:

Oliver Platt.

• Robin says:

Like this idea.. Or maybe Jean Smart

• Kiko says:

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES. Jean Smart is HILARIOUS.

But if we’re really going dream-casting, then either Stephen Fry for the amazingness of a bit of Fry & Laurie, or… Enrico Colantoni? He was such a stand out to me on Veronica Mars that I can’t help but want him back! (Give me extra-hilarity and have Jason Dohring as *his* son who is gay and hits on Chase constantly.)

• Lara says:

What do you mean “I can’t help but want (Enrico Colantoni) back”? He’s not missing. He’s already starring in the TV show Flashpoint. They’re now filming the fourth season here in Toronto. Enrico’s too busy to be bothered with House. Nice idea, but try to keep up with the rest of us.

• Michelle says:

I thought of Jean Smart right away. She was playing the (dirty) Governor on Hawaii Five-O but just got offed. She is a tough broad!

• ann from england says:

i agree with james.oliver platt would be good.also i quite like the idea of nathan lane.he would be quirky &serious as well.i wouldn’t like stephen fry to go anywhere near an american accent as he would just have me giggling.love fry & laurie but its not for house.

32. Kelly says:

In my ideal world, it is Stephen Fry. I’ve wanted him on House since the pilot. The dynamics with his character, House, and Wilson would be bloody brilliant.

33. Laura says:

Allison is an awesome idea! James Spader?

34. Thayna says:

Does anyone still care?

35. fiona says:

tom tom tom tom would be awesome…

36. Nichole says:

I really think they should promote Wilson. It would be an interesting way to play with the House/Wilson dynamic (Of course, it’s an actual chance for character development which the writers seem to avoid at all costs). They should then bring in a female as the new head of oncology on a heavily recurring basis. I would love to see Tom Welling back on TV, but this show is a bit much of a saugage fest. We need some female blood here. Some kind of cancer is usually a early wrong diagnosis or the eventual correct diagnosis for most of the POWs, so it wouldn’t be difficult to incorporate this new character without making it seem forced.

37. Cantare says:

Allison Janney would be fabulous, but the idea of Calista Flockhart is nauseating. I’d love to see Hugh Laurie and Allison Janney go head to head – that would be fun.

38. Erica says:

Two words. Jennifer Beals.

39. Deb Mallery says:

Sharon Stone, Sigourney Weaver or Helen Mirren. He needs a strong female lead to go toe to toe with him!

40. Mandy P says:

I haven’t watched House in years, but Allison Janney or Stephen Fry would get this show a season pass on my DVR immediately!!

• Matt says:

Too the words right out of my mouth. If either one of these were to get it, I’d be back.

• frogprof says:

Same here — those are the only two I’d even consider. Allison walks away with any show she’s in — even opposite Matt Perry — but it would be wonderful to see Fry and Laurie together again.
      Can we have TWO administrators, please?

41. Sharon says:

How about paying Lisa Edelstein what she deserves and bring her back? There is only one hospital administrator and it is Lisa Cuddy.

• Jules says:

Word. Can the show even AFFORD the people on this list? Doubt it.

It’ll probably have to be someone they can put on reoccurring, so they can get away with putting a “name” in the spot for less.

Besides, House will be in jail. They should just take the show outside of the hospital for the 8th season. The season should be about House losing his medical license.

• Anita says:

I definitely agree – why pay some other person when you had someone who was great in the role (well great is an understatement). Why not pay Lisa Edelstein the money she deserves and at least give House the best opportunity to have a great 8th (and final??) season????????

• Mary says:

No way, Cuddy sucked, good riddance and bring in someone who could really be a powerful administrator!

• Lori says:

Cuddy who? Already forgotten her, don’t want her back!

• Monica says:

EXACTLY!! What the hell will House, MD the show be without Lisa Cuddy? The relationship between House and Cuddy is a MUST for the show, and they need to just make sure she wants to come back, or this show will fold after this coming season. You mark my words. And I LOVE this show.

• Bob says:

Fry or Janney would be perfect. If Shore is looking for a female presence, then that would give the nod to Janney.

42. Sophia says:

Anyone remember the episode where Cameron was his boss..to bad JenniferMo is busy starting her own show.

• NLP says:

Right name: “Allison” Wrong person: “Janney” As was pointed out, Jennifer Morrison as Allison Cameron played House’s boss in one episode. She would be perfect and make a huge segment of disgruntled/former fans very happy. Reviews indicate her new show won’t do well, so get her on the House set as soon as her new show is cancelled. In fact, that would be perfect. Let Stephen Fry start off as the boss, then he can go off and do The Hobbit, and Jennifer Morrison can come in and take over. We Cameron fans have been kicked around for years, we deserve some love too!

43. Ella says:

Charisma Carpenter! She’s like a young Cuddy, with all the bite of Kendall Casablancas and the one liners of Cordelia Chase. DO IT!

• Katie says:

That would be freaking awesome. Love Charisma, she’s the absolute best at all she does. I’d love to see her on tv again.

• Michelle R says:

I love CC and she’s gorgeous, but how could her character be a “young” Cuddy when she’s only a few years younger than LE?

• Scott says:

I like Charisma, but House would chew her up and spit her out. I don’t think this is a role she could pull off.

44. Cathy says:

Not trying to quibble, but how can he keep his job when he drove his car into her house? Just seems weird.

I think they should borrow Linda Hunt from NCIS:LA; I’d love to watch her open a can of whoopass on him.

• tlbrownlie says:

she was my first female choice too. but then that means heddy wont be back and G wont find out who his real mom is ;)

45. GG says:

Stephen Fry as the new DoM? I would rather see him as Houses Half-Brother!

Since Jennifer Morrison (Cameron) has got a role on “Once Upon A Time”, Sela Ward has got a role on “CSI NY” and Jennifer Beals and Tim Roth are already mentioned above, I have the following suggestions:

Laura Innes, Gillian Anderson, Mira Sorvino (Cate (Frozen), Wendy Makkena (Dr. Julie Whitner (Needle in a Haystack)), Sherry Stringfield, Marlee Matlin and last but not least Carl Lumbly

I don’t want to see Wilson or Foreman as the new DoM and I am very happy that Cuddy is finally gone! I can’t stand her anymore since she pulled the pranks (tripwire and co.) on House in season five.

• jdarrell says:

Ooh, I love the idea of Marlee Matlin.

• Ivan says:

Gillian Anderson! good choice but not as the redhaired scully, more like the alice from straightheads

as female role beats all the alternatives

but honestly, I don’t see a lesser paycheck there plus Gillian lives in england

46. nitemar says:

Lena Olin, Julia Ormond or Kelli WIlliams. But they probabably have someone in mind..but who?

47. KLB says:

Oooh… Allison Janney would be beyond good.

I also think Stephen Fry would be a fun choice. Those two were made of win in both Jeeves & Wooster and A Bit of Fry and Laurie.

-Kerri

48. tlbrownlie says:

umm last i checked sela ward was on a little show called csi new york. plus stacey was a lawyer not a doctor. Janeane Garofalo was the reason suspect minds flopped. It was fine as a in episode debut on Criminal minds and then they added her and it lost it chemistry.
    If your going to go younger than give it to Jesse Spencer (not a fan myself) but it’ll give him a reason to renew his contract and cheese off house. Stephen Fry would be the best option out of these ones given (no offense to allison janney i just don’t see her with medical jargon) but he will be busy with the cant come too soon HObbit.
    If you’re going the male route, what about Thomas Gibson if he doesn’t resign with Criminal Minds?
    Female wise? Michelle Forbes has knocked it out of the park on the killing. I think this type of roll would be right up her alley. got Emmy written all over it.

• Serenity says:

Pretty sure JG isn’t the reason that Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour flopped. Based on the CM’s threads, most of us felt that the spin-off was terribly written and acted badly by the entire cast, there was no chemistry between any of them at all. The show where they introduced the new characters was easily the worst Criminal Minds show I’ve ever seen.
      Do agree though, that Janeanne wouldn’t be right for the show. I like the Charisma Carpenter and Gillian Anderson suggestions, although I’m pretty sure GA lives in England now and is busy in the theatre and raising her two children there.
      I would HATE it if Thomas Gibson was cast in the role, he belongs on Criminal Minds, and I don’t think this part would be enough of a challenge for him.

• Lois says:

“Janeane Garofalo was the reason suspect minds flopped”
      Wrong. The show flopped because the writing was bad, really bad.

49. Jake says:

Keri Russell – OH HE’LL TO THE NO!!! I think I threw up a little.

50. Amber says: