Exclusive

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on True Blood, Bones, Supernatural, Mother, Castle and More!

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Just want to say hi? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: It’s been a while since we’ve had any really good True Blood scoops. Please change that for us. —Jessica S.
Ausiello:
As I bragged revealed on Twitter Monday night, Cliff Clavin left a nice surprise in my mailbox Monday afternoon: the first three episodes of Season 4! I can’t wait to watch them sometime this weekend! Kidding! I’d barely sat down on my couch when I had those bad boys finished off. And you know what? I’m going to declare that the show gets off to its strongest start yet. The trouble is, there’s not much I can tell you without spoiling one of the biggest (literally and figuratively) twists in the series’ history. But give me a second, I’ll think of something… Oooh, there’s a very subtle clue in this trailer. Also:

| An unlikely new romance takes shape.
| * *i***** *******e* ***s.
| Pam is at her bitchiest best.
| Jessica makes Hoyt dinner — sounds boring but I swear it’s not.
| There’s some big real estate news — sounds boring but I swear it’s not.
| Sam comes dangerously close to exposing his naughty bits.

Question: I can’t help but notice an alarming lack of True Blood spoilerage. What’s the deal? —Sarah
Ausiello:
The deal is you need to sit yourself down and pay attention, because you know that surprise romance I teased above? I think it’s the same one exec producer Alan Ball is referring to in this next quote, which was a response to my question about which couple he had the most fun writing for this season. “The one that I had the most fun with is one I can’t reveal, because it comes as a surprise,” he tells me. “But certainly Eric and Sookie, as fans of the books will know, get a lot closer this season, and that was really fun.”

Question: I love love love Evan Rachel Wood on True Blood! Please tell me we will see her in Season 4. —Hayley
Ausiello:
Oh, hell yes. Queen Sophie Anne is actually at the center of what will probably go down as one of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

Question: First off, I think a Smurf lover like you would enjoy this T-shirt. Next, I hope you have some good scoop on White Collar. —Matt
Ausiello:
If you’re a fan of Dan Brown, chances are you’re going to love the show’s June 14 episode. Real-life siblings Danny Masterson and Christopher Masterson guest star as brothers in a dispute over their late father’s will. They soon discover that Dad’s two conflicting wills actually form a treasure map of sorts. “[It] was our Dan Brown-inspired episode we’ve been wanting to do for a season or two” says series creator Jeff Eastin. “It was difficult in the sense that we had a lot of very specific clues that we had to get through, so that was sort of a nightmare. But ultimately, if you like Dan Brown, hopefully, you’ll like that episode.”

Question: Barney’s half-sister plus Ted equals Ted’s babies momma? Go. —Dana
Ausiello:
Excellent theory. If it pans out I’m taking full credit. Cool?

Question: They can’t seriously kill Pete, especially with poor Lucas watching! Any scoop? Is Tim Daly leaving Private Practice? —Sam
Ausiello:
This much we know: Don’t count on the wee one to save the day. “Lucas does not know how to dial 911,” exec producer Shonda Rhimes told TVLine’s Matt Mitovich last month. “I totally came home after we filmed that scene and sat down with my 8-year-old and was like, ‘This is how you dial 911, and here’s our address,’ in case Mommy ever falls over.”

Question: Do you have any scoop on Desperate Housewives? —Mateo
Ausiello:
I sort of stumbled on one last night while flipping through the official ballot for the 2011 Emmys. In a surprise — some would say ballsy — move, Doug Savant pulled a Rob Lowe and entered himself in the Lead Actor (Comedy) race. Now, I admittedly missed a couple episodes this season, but I don’t recall Tom being that prominent.

Question: Is there any more news on Season 3 of The Vampire Diaries? —Lisa
Ausiello:
Kayla Ewell has yet to see a script, but the actress believes she’s cracked the mystery surrounding Vicki’s season-ending return from the dead. “I’m thinking [she’s] not a ghost, but more of an angel or good spirit coming back to help Jeremy,” she offers. “Vicki really, really loves Jeremy, so [I think] she’s going to try to come back and help him any way she can. But also, wherever Vicki goes, she stirs up trouble. Her intentions may be good and pure, but [I suspect] there’s going to be lots of trouble going on.”

Question: What are the chances of Tina Majorino returning to Bones next season? She was the best part of final sniper episode! —Hillary
Ausiello:
I think the chances are very good. Awesome, in fact. “We love Tina,” gushes executive producer Stephen Nathan, “and would love to have her back next year.”

Question: With Bones going on a three-month mid-season break to accommodate Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave, how many original episodes does that leave us with in Season 7? —Rex
Ausiello:
If I were a betting man — not an addict, just a fan of the casual bet every now and then — I’d say more than 13 but less than 18. And just so we’re clear I do not have a gambling problem.

Question: Any news on who’s replacing Saffron Burrows on The Finder? —Missy
Ausiello:
The role hasn’t been cast, but I can tell you producers are looking for someone considerably younger than Burrows. We’re talking half her age. According to the latest intel, the new character — Willa — will be around 17. Much like Burrows’ alter ego, Willa has a criminal background and some hidden skills that Walter and Leo will put to good use. (Mackenzie Rosman, call your agent!)

Question: Can you please interview Misha Collins about his reduced Supernatural role next season? My life may depend on it. —Marcia
Ausiello:
We tried, but the dude’s not talking. Perhaps he wants to lay low until the storm passes — assuming it does, in fact, pass. “We have passionate fans,” acknowledges exec producer Sera Gamble. “We have fans that have strong opinions about a lot of things that happen on the show. People ask me if I’m worried about a fan backlash [in the wake of Collins’ demotion]. We just want to tell a good story and not be redundant and bring you interesting stories that are fresh. Going into Season 7, we have a new, interesting story that we want to tell to you. That’s what’s front of mind right now.”

Question: Now that Misha Collins is no longer a regular on Supernatural, any chance Jim Beaver will get a much-deserved promotion? —Joel
Ausiello:
Doesn’t sound like it. “We have a fantastic relationship with Jim,” says Gamble. “We bring him in as the story demands it. He’s basically a fixture on the show as necessary.”

Question: Will Eion Bailey will be back on Covert Affairs for Season 2? —Brenda
Ausiello:
Yes, Bailey returns as Ben Mercer in Tuesday’s premiere, during which he and Annie must outrun some bad guys who really, really want him dead. But nearly escaping death won’t bring the two closer together. A new opportunity will launch Ben in a different direction — and far away from Annie.

Question: I have a question about Covert Affairs: What will Jai Wilcox (played by Sendhil Ramamurthy) be up to this season? —Alicia
Ausiello:
Being a big sourpuss. When Joan (Kari Matchett) is forced to report for jury duty in next week’s episode, she leaves Auggie in charge — much to Jai’s disgruntlement.

Question: I know it’s been less than a month since the Castle finale, but I am seriously missing seeing my favorite couple on screen — especially given how the season ended. Please give me some scoop to help shake the hiatus blues. —Cheryl
Ausiello:
Is it out there that Captain Montgomery’s successor will be female? If not, it’s scoop to you!

Question: Now that Showtime has axed United States of Tara, do you know if the Season 3 finale gives a proper ending to the show? Or does it end in a cliffhanger? –Fernando
Ausiello:
I think fans will find the final scene of the series to be extremely satisfying. I’ll leave it at that.

Question: What’s the latest on the return of Robin Sparkles next season on How I Met Your Mother? —Todd
Ausiello:
It’s still in the gestation stage. “We do have one little beginning of an idea of something that would be completely different as a way to reprise it,” reveals exec producer Craig Thomas. “My promise would be we’ll only do it if it’s something completely different — apples and oranges from what we’ve already done. ‘Cause I don’t want to be too much in the shadow of “Let’s Go to the Mall,” which I realize is everyone’s favorite.” Speaking of Robin, remember how Thomas hinted that she would be getting a new love interest this fall? It’s totally happening. Casting is underway as I write this.

Question: Now that the season is over, can you answer any of your blind items? I’m still going crazy not knowing which fan favorite may be going “six feet under.” —Clark
Ausiello:
Hot tip: If you haven’t already done so, you might want to sign up for TVLine’s weekly scoop newsletter. Sources confirm to me exclusively that there may be a subtle clue in next Monday’s edition. I may also drop a hint or two on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello.

Question: Any Bored to Death scoop? — Matt
Ausiello:
Yes, and in a way, Office scoop, too: The NBC sitcom’s Gabe, Zach Woods, apparently having cornered the market on hilariously obsessed dorks, will be guesting on the HBO laffer later this season as super-fan of Zach Galifianakis’ character.

Question: Any more news on the possible time-jump on Dexter and how this will affect his character in general? — Lisa
Ausiello:
Well, since the breakdowns that just came out include characters who are residents of a nursing home, it’s probably safe to say that next season, ol’ Dex will be in a rocker, not just off his own. That, or some of the action will take place at a nursing home, and the serial dad will still be around the same age. One or the other. In either case, we’ll be meeting a working-class geezer who’s mad as hell that he’s stuck in a retirement village. (Statler! Waldorf! Call your agents!)

Question: My gut tells me we’ve seen the last of Ivy and Ray on 90210. What are you hearing? —Lauren
Ausiello:
I’m hearing your gut isn’t very trustworthy. Not only is Gillian Zinser returning as a series regular next season, but her onscreen hubby, Manish Dayal, will be back as well, albeit on a recurring basis. He is dying after all.

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. Also, you can keep track of my scoops on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello. Thanks for playing! (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman and Andy Patrick)

1. Bo says:

Cas/Misha deserves a hell of a lot better treatment than what he’s getting! I don’t care if they want to keep him on recurring, that’s totally fine, he was recurring in Season 4 anyways and still appeared in plenty of episodes, and it’s not like they were utilizing him properly in Season 6 by shoving him into the background for most of the season until the end. But if they just kill him off in the premiere, then it’s lazy bad writing, it’s taking the easy route, and this character sure as hell deserves more from SPN than just being thrown out!

2. clahain says:

I’m sorry to hear that Saffron Burrows has been dropped from THE FINDER. The accent they gave her was distracting, but her smarmy and quirky character was the only thing I actually liked about the pilot. I was even considering giving the show another chance. Now, I’ll find something else to watch while Bones takes its mid-season break.

3. Cheryl says:

It’s about time kripke/Gamble came to their senses! It’s pitiful how long they’ve dragged the angel mythology out,not only exhausting it but beating it to death and then some. All to keep Cass/Misha on the show. And its cost them dearly, over a million viewers in S4 and at least half that in Season 5 It’s time for the Angel mythology and Cass to go and he should have left in S5 with Dean discovering how he lied and betrayed him and Sam, instead we got Kripke sweeping Castiels sins against mankind and brotherhood under the rug to keep him in the show and hes been over used and showhorned for way too many seasons.
    It’s time to finally return to the original format of this show be it a grown and evolved one. Back to the focus being two brothers on the road hunting evil side by side following in the path of their fathers legacy

• Tresca says:

Sorry, but what viewer loss are you talking about? SPN has never been that insanely huge with numbers, if it would’ve dropped 1,5 million viewers in 2 Seasons, do you really think it would still be on air, Castiel there or not? 1,5 million would be like losing half of their numbers… just check your facts before trying to make a point, because probably that point will not turn moot then ;)

• Cheryl says:

Maybe you should check the facts Tresca. They are out there and easy to find if you choose to look! The ratings in Season 4 began at 3.96 million with the episode “Lazurus Rising” and declined steadily until the Season 4 finale “Lucifer Rising” of 2.89 million. That is a loss of a little over a million fans in one season namely season 4!

Here is one of many sites you can find the numbers/ratings at.

• Louisa says:

Maybe you should take a look at the ratings for the almost Cas-free season 6 while you’re there. Below 2m for the first time? With the demo falling too? You might also want to keep in mind the number of WIDELY REPORTED preemptions at the end of season 4, and the fact the show was on opposite CSI.

• Cheryl says:

The lack of the brotherhood is what caused the ratings to drop in Season 4 ,continue to drop and bounce around in Season 5 and what had many fans leaving or ready to leave in Season 6. You can try and justify it was Castiel (a secondary character) all you want but it will never change the fact this show is about the brothers first and foremost and always will be (Kripkes words too)and that brotherly bond is why most fans watch or have hung on to see return after seriously lacking it in Season 4 and 5 There are many more avenues of feed back then just the comments seen after a few spoilers
            I like Castiel/Misha too but he is a secondary character like Bobby and he should have only been used like Bobby when he added to the show. Instead he was overused and shoe horned in for seasons too long and,it was not only a huge dis service to the show and it’s two main characters but also a disservice to the character of Cass too. Cass in point the ending scene of the Season 6 finale Which Kripke wrote by the way.

• Clare says:

Im interested in your thoughts on the dismal season 6 showing when Castiel and the angels were hardly in the show? Falling below 2m and a fall in the demo too? What are your feelings about the fact that episodes that were heavily promoted as bro-bond episodes, like Unforgiven and Frontierland, didn’t do very well? No doubt you’ll have an excuse…

• Cheryl says:

Dismal ratings yes as by half way through season 6 half the fandom had pretty much given up on ever seeing the show they signed on for again. The one about two brothers on the road fighting evil side by side them against everything, not each other. The Season 6 ratings dropped steadily from the get go (again the lack of the brotherhood)Sera’s mistake was to a take two year drought without the brotherly bond (Seasons 4 and 5)and add another half season to it. Midway through more fans said enough (on waiting for that brotherly bond to return)and you can see that is backed up by the ratings as after episode 7 aired(Family Matters) there was a big drop in the ratings and that low number bounced up and down the rest of the season.

It’s the reason why Sera and Kripke and everyone involved in the show started plugging the return of the brotherly love. They were afraid after the hiatus a lot more fans would not return. And they knew they had to do something so that is why they went very public with spreading the word on a new kind of relationship and chemistry Sam and Dean would have with Sam still without a soul. Until he got his soul back. And the boys could finally be back together. The second half of this season had poor ratings all around you can nitpick at two episodes if you want saying they were bro bond episodes . But every episode since Sam got his soul back (Like A Virgin episode 12) have been bro bond episodes. The brotherly love is apparent in all of them maybe too late to get back the viewers that left but back all the same. Not an excuse just a fact!

4. clahain says:

The unexpected romance has to be Bill with either Nan or Queen Sophie Anne. I mean, Bill and the Queen were fighting to the death and suddenly he’s all slick and prosperous looking and in a position of some power? The queen is a lesbian and for I assumed Nan was into girls,too, but you never know with these vampires. Seems everybody’s into everybody at some point or other.

• Dee says:

It looks like Bill is with Portia though. I think Tara’s romance will be the surprise.

• stillisill says:

Re:True Blood

*Possible Spoilers*

Portia is Bill’s linear descendant. In the book, Sookie sees them together and is jealous until she learns that the Bellefluers are descended from Bill’s daughter. Bill would never go there; he’s not a Lannister after all.

And Bill would never hook up with Sophie Anne — she wants to kill Sookie! I have a feeling that Hoyt’s mamma is gonna shoot the Queen thinking that she’s Jessica (red hair), thereby saving Bill. That’s not what happens in the books, but I think the show will diverge on this one. ERW needs to go.

And there’s nothing in that promo to suggest any surprise romance for Tara. Personally, I’m rooting for her and Sam, although it looks like he gets a new love interest this season.

The show has established that most vampires are bisexual, so Nan feasting on that chick in the limo doesn’t preclude her from feasting on Bill too.

I know everyone else is excited about Sookie and Eric, but I’m gonna miss the incredible sexual chemistry between Paquin and Moyer. Hopefully old Bill can win her back some time in a future season. I like Eric a lot, but, unlike in the book, Alex just doesn’t have the chemistry with Anna that Stephen does.

5. C says:

I think it’s too bad that Sera Gamble & co. don’t seem to understand that by getting rid of Cas and chopping down the cast back to just Dean and Sam (with the occasional appearance by Bobby), the storyline IS redundant. The early seasons of the show were amazing but frankly the series has evolved beyond being just a story about two brothers. If it’s just Dean and Sam and they have no (or only one) meaningful relationships with allies, then what is the point?

The whole turning Cas evil thing is a glaring repeat of Sam turning evil from the demon blood, yet Sera doesn’t want to be redundant? Redeeming a God-ified angel is a fresh storyline that could stretch throughout the season while still giving plenty of opportunity for episodes with just Sam and Dean. One of the most refreshing parts of the series since Castiel first appeared is his awkward humor and his friendship with Dean, giving Dean a much-needed friend to rely on when things with his brother were going downhill.

It’s a disrespect to seasons 4 and 5 to just write that off and the biggest issue is that if Dean and Sam simply try to kill Cas instead of saving him, they’re hypocrites and everything they’ve ever said about family being important becomes invalid. Like it or not, Cas is part of the family just like Bobby is and if they do anything less than give it their all to redeem him, then I can no longer respect either character and I won’t be watching the show any longer.

Castiel can still be a part of the storyline without it being about Heaven and the apocalypse and God, etc. You can lose the Heaven part without losing Cas–he would still make a great ally and a welcome breath of fresh air when things with the Winchesters get too heavy.

6. Rosalill says:

I must admit, I haven`t watched many episodes of season six. Too awful plot!

I came back however at the western episode, and watched the last episodes – and hated the last one! And when I thought they were back on track with team free will – which I love. The A-team of SPN things! That I would love to watch in season 7!

However, cutting Misha off, or reducing his role to be the big bad??? That is the worst character assasination I have ever witnessed! I remember the magnificent introduction of Cas in 4.01, the best and most memorable introduction of a fantastic character ever! And now this??? It is ridiculous and truly awful what has happened to this once great show!

I will read reviews in season seven, and wait on the fence. They kill Cas or make him evil – that`s the finale straw for me. Not even the talented Ackled can keep me watching anymore then!

7. Melanie Lakey says:

I want Castiel to stay! I love all three of our main men on “Supernatural.” If they don’t give him a redemption arc, I’ll consider it character assassination, literal and figurative, and I don’t think I’ll be able to trust the show any longer. If I can’t get attached to ANY recurring and regular characters other than Sam and Dean, I don’t find that rewarding. It’s like “Xena” in its last couple of seasons — no matter how much I love the main characters, if it’s just them, it feels hollow. And I think Cas is a part of the Winchester family.

8. Karen says:

Regarding Doug Savant entering himself in the Lead Actor (Comedy) race, I don’t recall Tom being that prominent, OR Doug being that impressive or funny. Just sayin’…

9. casammy says:

I believe that they lost SPN’s line, from beginning of the series kripke said again and again that it was a question of dean and sam and all the rest go and come but nobody is permanent, is the life of the hunters, the same dean in the season 1 says to sammy not to support contact with his former friends and companions, is what dean and sam do always, they come and go away of the life of all, the arch of the angels sew it ends and another stage begins, is like that of simply, always it has been like that, or probably to save to castiel and stays as a species of angel of the guard that one appears occasionally, but there can no be the third passenger inside the impala

10. stillisill says:

The “surprise romance” Alan Ball and Ausiello are teasing is between Nan and Bill. The subtle hint in the promo is when Nan says: “I’ll have your ass,” and Bill says: I’ll take care of it personally.”

11. Mare says:

Count me in as someone who is unhappy to read Sera Gamble’s comments about Castiel/Collins. I don’t want to see him leave: after Dean, he’s my favorite character, and his relationship with Dean is the ne I prize the most. It was so nice to see Dean get a relationship that is based on MUTUAL affection, love, and support, and to see Gamble take that away, just breaks my heart.

As to her claim of “new” and “fresh” things, I have to laugh. They keep claiming that, yet we keep getting the same damn storyline over and over. So, Sera, what will be wrong with Sam this season? How will we shake in our boots over him angsting over HIMSELF all season long and how bad he won’t ever really be, because you all will whitewash his misdeeds away and just blame someone else for it? How will Dean be sidelined and degraded this time? We have friends and enemies alike telling Dean how useless and pointless he is, who next? How will the writing make Dean as pointless as he was in “Swan Song,” or this season, for that matter? How will we spend episodes on end with Sam angsting about himself and Dean angsting about Sam?

You know what would be new? Giving Dean a storyline where he’s actually important and valid for himself, rather than what he can do for Sam. Giving Sam some growth where he continually thinks about someone else (preferably his brother) and not himself. Have a season that’s NOT about whether or not Sam’s wrong. Give some actual focus to Dean’s relationship with Castiel. Have Dean save Castiel. Have an actual redemptive arc for one of the Team Free Will with Castiel, instead of another whitewash job like Sam had.

“New and Fresh” is NOT doing the same damn storylines over and over again in an effort to force the fan’s to accept what you are selling. Fans are starting to drift away, Gamble, whether you think they should or not. And if you don’t have the fans and the viewers, you don’t have a job. So get with the program and stop acting as if fan’s wishes and concerns don’t matter. And stop acting like the only character who is important and valid on your show, is the one named “Sam Winchester.”

12. Morgan says:

I’m sorry, but I just won’t be interested in Supernatural anymore if Cas isn’t a regular.

13. Shelly says:

Can you please tell Sera that redundant is for six seasons now there has been something wrong with Sam and all Dean does is worry about his brother and wondering if he can save his brother. Season after season can Dean save Sam? For six seasons Sam gets to worry about himself, am I evil and will I do terrible things? Seriously no seriously, how is that not redundant? Season six RoboSam was just another version of Sam that everyone had to ask again what is wrong with Sam, is he evil and Dean once again asked how can I save my brother?. The only character that hits the screen and interjects something new and exciting is Castiel. His relationship with each character is what is different and enriches the show. How can the writers create this awesome character that a lot of people care about and yes are passionate about and then want to degrade him because they can’t creatively use him? Again I ask seriously? Why can’t they have him fall all the way and become human? I for one would love to see Bobby try to teach Castiel how to answer all the phones at his house and have to talk to hunters, FBI etc. The writers can do so much more with team free. Season 7 can incorporate Castiel trying to redeem himself to Angel status and still have a main story line of Dean and Sam trying to clean up his mess from the end of season 6. Why can’t we have two great storylines like we did in season 4, oh wait you kind of killed that great potential in season 5 with Adam taking over Dean’s myth arc storyline. Never mind, do what you want and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the final season.

14. Carrie says:

Castiel is the only reason I watch Supernatural any more. If he’s out, then I am too.

15. Brenda says:

Cas’ story line is no more redundant than Dean or Sam or Bobby or any other character..because IT ISN’T. Sera, seriously do you know the characters you are writing at all? You don’t know them. Period. Cas is not stale, he is wonderful adn ever changing and one of the best things about Supernatural. You are taking away a beautiful, fundamental piece of the show. I won;t even go into how that character saved my life. You need to talk to the fans, and to Ben, and actually LEARN the characters you write before you open your mouth, and leave our beloved Cas alone if you can not do him justice. Leave him on teh show. Period.

16. Shelly says:

I’m sorry but Sera brought up the word redundant, so I can’t stop myself, I just keep coming back for more even if it might get a little redundant. Why didn’t the writers think about not being redundant when they made season six another season of -what is wrong with Sam, Dean focused totally on what’s wrong with Sam then again for the sixth season how can I save Sam? Why didn’t the writer think of the word redundant before they sent another winchester to Hell? Been there and done that in season four and it was original, fresh and exciting then and season six version to me was redundant and not really original even though they tried to justify how one Hell experience was worse than the other. I guess that is them trying not to be redundant. Why didn’t the writers or Sera think of redundant when all they did was kill off every great supporting character again for another season. Goodbye Rufus, Balty, Grandpa Winchester (again), and Dr. Dragon Lady – I hardly knew your name. No wait I can’t remember your name but I would have loved to have got the chance to know you even better. Go join the rest of the great supporting cast of characters that could have enriched the story so much more. Why didn’t they think of redundant when they had Castiel be the one that resurrected another Winchester from Hell again? Also don’t forget the word redundant when you describe season 7 as a ‘Butch Cassidy and Sundance’ type of season. I’ve been watching Supernatural since season one and the writers and even actors have always described Supernatural as a type of Western with two guys riding around the country in a steel horse hunting, fighting and doing some unlawful things to fight the good fight. So please don’t try to pass off this season as something Supernatural has always been about.

• Al says:

Thank you so much for saying all this! not to mention how many times Lisa and Dean broke up – 4 or 5 break up scenes.
      Suposedly they learned that making deals is bad yet Dean makes a deal with death to save Sam, suposedly working with demons is bad yet Dean works for Crowley to get Sam back.
      And how many times we had scenes of Sam walking out on Dean during the entire show?
      How many times we were told that Sam was soulless or that he suffered more than any creature in the history of the universe.

Talk about redundant and repeating itself.

How about something new indeed – explore Cas further, flesh out his character and Dean and Cas relationship, have more TFW working together, introduce new characters that are more then plot points and no more unecessary deaths of great characters with lots of potential.

17. Righteous says:

You’re kidding right?! Cas can be like any other regular on the show!! You can introduce new plots and stories and still keep him! Good grief, no one wants him gone! Damnit, I’ll have to quit the whole show if Misha’s booted! I’d be too heartbroken that the story could never be the same. I’ve rewatched seasons 4 and 4 OVER and OVER again JUST BECAUSE of how the plot progressed with our nerdy, feathered friend. I’m still in denial about this whole “God” thing. C’mon, Sera. Give the damn Winchesters a break! What hope do they even have left?? The whole show has taken on this bleak atmosphere. It’s KILLING us. Save Cas. Save him.

• Kate says:

I agree so much with this. I don’t honestly think I can stand to watch this continued bleakness and sadness. What are the Winchesters fighting for if they can’t save anything at all? What is the point of their struggle? What is the point of us, as viewers, investing anything at all in the other characters who “weave” in and out of the Winchesters’ lives if Dean and Sam aren’t allowed to keep those friends and loved ones, outside of Bobby (who I now suspect is only permitted to remain because he doesn’t interfere with Sera’s oft-stated passion for the “epic love story of Sam and Dean”).

I want to get to the end of this show and see ALL FOUR members of TFW standing tall together. I don’t want to see Sam and Dean drive the Impala off a cliff, never having formed any significant, lasting relationships outside of each other. They deserve to be able to love other people, and be loved and supported in return. And Cas, as someone who has loved and supported Dean, suffering and dying for Dean’s cause, deserves to be saved.

18. Righteous says:

Excuse me, *seasons 4 and 5

• Kate says:

Redundant. Lord, what a word to use.

I also find that a really offensive term to use in reference to a character who has been in the show for three seasons and in whom a huge number of fans have invested a lot of love and regard. The PTB have kept a lot of us spinning in the wind with this character and now it seems they might be considering ending him on this incredibly sad and bleak note?

Implying that Castiel and his potential storyline are “redundant” makes me suspect that Sera Gamble might consider my contribution as a fan of this show (since the Pilot) to be redundant. I just hope it was a poor/unintentional word choice or was misinterpreted by the interviewer, because being dismissed in this way really pisses me off.

19. Amy says:

It seems as though Sera really doesn’t even care what the fans think, which is a really STUPID thing to hint at I stopped watching the show mid through season 3 because it felt “redundant” then….. Started watching again In season 4 because Cas made it interesting…….if she does what many are thinking she is going to lose so many viewers that I think the show will go down fast……. Way to go Gamble, and not caring what fans think……there are no words…..

20. AB says:

“Look, I understand you’re trying to add ‘flare’ or ‘new ideas/plots/characters’ …whatever the hell. Cas should just be another Bobby. C’mon, he’s practically family no matter what. Redundant. Lord, what a word to use.”

I agree and the show was redundant BEFORE Cas…… Redundant……no…….killing off the bond between Dean and that Angel would be Horrible…. what then would Dean just magically forget about it?! Come on Gamble don’t ruin the show!!!!!!!

21. Hannah says:

I agree with many here Gamble I hope you are reading this….. Redundant is for 6 seasons something being wrong with Sam and Dean worrying because he can’t fix it…. I also agree that Castiel was his first real relationship and he loves that nerdy angel even if he refuses to say so…. Taking away that bond is horrible. As I said first redundancy was there way before Castiel and if you lose him I’m afraid I’ll have to find another how to watch.

22. blahblah123 says:

NO!! only 18 episodes for bones??

23. david says:

Season 6 was a mess and it was headed by one Miss Sera Gamble. Most of us have no confidence in her to produce anything different next season.
    One can only hope that the CW bigwigs pull her aside and tell her Misha stays-end of discussion.

• Dilys says:

This. I don’t understand why there isn’t someone higher up saying what? You are ruining a wildly popular character who a large portion of the audience adore? Why?

When even highly respected critics like Maureen Ryan say that the first part of the season was disjointed and removing one of the core characters seems to be a mistake? Is Supernatural so far under the radar that the CW doesn’t care? Cas fans are deeply, desperately unhappy and there is absolutely no anticipation for the premier at all. So many of my friends on twitter who gather to enjoy the entire Team Will dynamic (including Cas) have already said that’s it. Game over. Moving on. Maybe Misha fans shouldn’t have voted so much for Supernatural last year. We didn’t do it for Sera or the storyline. We did it for Misha.

24. deedeedragons says:

So they made Ivy a regular & gave Teddy the axe? MORONS.

25. Jess says:

I think that if you love Sam and Dean, you should see that it’s not possible for them to be on their own all the time. It’s not healthy for either of them. That’s why the show cannot be only about Sam & Dean because they need other people in their lives. I believe they need other people to support them, they can’t rely only on each other, no one can.

You’ve introduced new characters, like Castiel, and spent 2 seasons making him family. If we love this character, it’s thanks to you. You made us love him, by showing us how devoted he was to the brothers, how he trusted them, how lost he felt when God didn’t answer his prayers. We’ve seen Dean laugh thanks to him, and we’ve seen him pull Sam & Dean from so many complicated situations. We love Castiel because of all the things he has sacrificed for the brothers. Then can someone please explain to me the point of destroying all this? You can kill a character because he seems “redundant” but why destroying his image too? The only thing people remember from Castiel now is that he destroyed Sam’s wall. And all the good things he’s done before all vanished.

Introducing new characters to bring fresh twists, so that the story doesn’t get redundant is a good thing to do, I agree. But what hope do the boys have if (as we’ve been seeing until now) each new character is either killed or changed into the complete opposite of how you’ve introduced us to?

26. Thea says:

Castiel’s character and the storyline associated with him is in no way redundant. A powerful story can include more than two characters. Sera Gamble please listen to Supernatural’s fans and keep Castiel. He has developed so much as a character, don’t throw it all away.

27. Lisa says:

Come on 90% of why I’m watching that thing is for Castiel

28. Joels says:

Destroying, then discarding an engaging and hugely popular character like Castiel is not the way to entice me to stay with Supernatural for S7. ‘Redundant’…NO! Surely imaginative and fresh stories can be told without deconstructing and losing our core cast of four. ‘Mommy Dearest’ was one of the few S6 episodes that I thoroughly enjoyed for this reason. My very favorite being Ben Edlund’s brilliantly written and directed ‘The Man Who Would Be King’. This episode alone confirmed how much I was missing Misha Collins on my screen and how he has enriched my favorite television show.
    Of course Sam and Dean will always be the central characters, but they are no longer the only pivotal characters in which viewers are invested. We’re six years grown from S1 now and Supernatural for a great many fans is no longer just Sam, Dean and Impala with a dash of Bobby.
    Castiel is an important part of the Winchester’s story now. By all means S7 should have a fresh feel to it. Hopefully that will include a redemption arc for Castiel running through it, with Sam and especially Dean caring enough to save the angel they called family.

29. Laura J says:

Sera Gamble, really? The most adored character on the show with THE MOST potential for more backstory and further character development, is to be downsized? Are you trying to decrease ratings on purpose?
    I get that you have a story that you want to tell, but the whole Dean-and-Sam-against-the-world thing has been done for about 4 thorough seasons. Then you got us hooked on the bigger picture storyline with Castiel. And now you wanna go back?
    That, if anything, seems a little redundant
    Pleease listen to the fans! The Sam and Dean have issues line is so tired at this stage. Castiel is what’s interesting, deal with it

30. Laura J says:

And the only real episode of season 6 that I loved was the entirely Castiel episode, “The Man Who Would Be King”. 2+2=Castiel, Ms Gamble

31. @Richie_btvs says:

so…. i liked supernatural… i watched since season 1… almost die with the frist finale cliffhanger…
    whem castiel entered the show, it gave a very good, and needed boost.
    i stop watching in this season 19 episode… and i dont want to watch… i like cas… not a casholic, but i like the guy, and the character….
    if sera was really concerned about telling a good story season 6 would’ve been a LOT better…
    so i think i MIGHT give a 50% chance of watching supernatural in next season break(december/january)…
    but just like glee, i just dont get it anymore…
    i dont feel that rush…
    just a boring wanna-sleep show…
    so… lets wait till season 7 starts and see if she’s REALLY concern in tell a good story, o just want to make fans watch to see what happen…

32. Sarah Campbell says:

“We just want to tell a good story and not be redundant and bring you interesting stories that are fresh.”

Oh… so is that why Dean’s story was regifted to Sam and Sam’s story was regifted to Cas? Funny, but I’m not sensing anything fresh about any of that. Nor am I sensing much that was good about season 6, with half of it being wasted on the poorly executed and badly acted roboSam storyline.

Someone please rescue Supernatural from this idiot, who has clearly run out of ideas and has very little respect for a large portion of her audience if she is considering writing Misha out. A failing show doesn’t write out its second most popular character/actor and survive, and since I’d like to see the show keep going I hope Gamble doesn’t possess that degree of hubris.

33. Jesse says:

God, you Castiel fangirls are lame. If you’re only watching the show for Castiel, you’re watching for the wrong reasons. He’s leaving the show as a regular. Deal with it. End of story. Give me Sam and Dean in the car anyday over one more SECOND of the convoluted angel storylines. Not that any of you crazed Cas-girls will even listen to reason.

• Kate says:

That’s a really inane comment. Very few fans don’t have a favorite and they all watch for that favorite. It isn’t wrong to watch the show in that way and it doesn’t make them “not proper fans of the show.” It just means that for whatever personal reason, they like that character more. I happen to find Castiel’s story way more interesting than the nth rinse-repeat of Sam came back wrong, what is Dean to do about it? I don’t really see how that can be presented in a “new and fresh” way hence my appreciation for Castiel.

You’re here commenting – doesn’t that make you a crazed ***gal? (Samgal would be my guess.)

• Kate says:

I might also add (as the commenter further up noted) this isn’t a feeling that is solely the preserve of “crazed Cas-girls.” Several respected journalists/bloggers, like Maureen Ryan, have expressed concerns. She is by no menas a “crazed Cas-girl.”

I don’t expect or ask for Cas to ride around in the Impala with “the boys” every week – I respect that Sam and Dean are the core of this show, and that’s fine by me. But Cas has become a much-loved character and his fans are important to the ratings. Surely even you can see that it could be harmful to the show’s continued survival to lose those fans from the ratings at a time when the ratings are already falling?

34. Ciara says:

My GOD. Why does everyone hate the concept of Supernatural episodes without Cas? It’ll just be the same as Season 6, he was absent for a few episodes at a time up until the end. We need to shut up about that. I love Misha, and Cas, I do, but the series startred with two brothers hunting things, and the creators are realizing that…wha the show was about. Eric told his story, Sera is continuing it, and starting – slowly – to bring it back to basics.
    As for the whole ‘Everything is to do with Sam, whaaa’, did you watch the last few episodes? The first half of Season 6 took a while to make a point of Sam’s dilemma, one or two episodes were spent fixing it, and then he was just a piece of cardboard in the background until the last episode. Seriously, Cas and Dean had a LOT of focus for a LOT of the end of the Season, so could all you ‘Destiel’ fans think about it a little? You got what you wanted and your still complaining…Cas will be there next Season and you’re STILL COMPLAINING. Jeez…enough with the complaining.

• Kate says:

Cas will be there next Season and you’re STILL COMPLAINING.

I think you’re missing the point that it is by no means definite that Cas will be there next season. Even if Sera Gamble has hinted that he might be, there have also been massive hints that he won’t – hence a lot of fans are worried.

• Ciara says:

It’s the excessive complaining that is doing my head in…if it’s not about Cas/Misha next Season, it’s about Sera, if it’s not about Sera, it’s about Dean, if it’s not about Dean, it’s about Sam…no one can stop complaining. They don’t even know for sure yet! And all they do is complain…yeesh!

• Hudson says:

The whole concept of “post a comment” embodies expressing your opinion. Therefore, using this forum to explain how you feel about a character or plans for a character does not constitute complaining. (see Mom all that money spent on college is paying off).

I started watching the show because my Mom is a big fan of Misha Collins and would go on and on about how the show is so exciting now. I like Cas and he’s the main reason I watch. In fact the endless little crying talks by Sam and Dean were almost enough to make me stop. And I really hated the finale because it made no sense based on the character of Cas that has been built up over the past 3 years. The nerdy dude lives to make the Winchesters happy and keep them safe. So if in fact the Showrunner – who seemingly doesn’t care what the fans think – decides to destroy his character, I’m happy to stop watching. Because it’s fake storytelling for the sake of some sort of lame shock value and shows a complete disregard for her fandom’s opinions.

And just to repeat this comment for the slow kids in class (like Misha’s lace tying video) posting a comment is expressing an opinion. It is not complaining.

• Kate says:

Yes, this. And at the end of the day, if it was Sam or Dean who was in danger of being written out of the show, fans would be here commenting about that. I would be too, since I wouldn’t want to see that happen. I think we should be entitled to express our misgivings about this possibility when it comes to Castiel too. He’s important to a lot of fans, and for the life of me I can’t understand why certain elements of the fandom feel so threatened by that. Can’t we just all enjoy the show for our favorites? We all help boost the ratings, after all, and it’s the ratings that keep the show alive.

• Clare says:

“for the life of me I can’t understand why certain elements of the fandom feel so threatened by that. ”

Hear, hear. He was barely in season 6 and all I saw on certain forums were endless, boring complaining about the odd five minutes when he did appear. WTH is these people’s problem? Why are they so obsessed with it being just the boys? IDGI.

• Louisa says:

They come from a cadre of idiots who seriously believe Misha Collins spent all of seasons 4 and 5 conspiring behind the scenes to have Jared fired so he could become the second lead. It must be driving them crazy to see all the Con appearances that show what good friends the Js are with Misha and how jokey Jared’s tweets to Misha have been. Maybe they should give some thought to what jared would think of the hatred they spew for Misha over at the CW forums.

• Ciara says:

No worries, I’m all for expressing oneself, and everyone deserves to speak their opinion…but there’s a difference between saying ‘Well, this aspect of this situation annoys me to this extent,’ and full on complaining, with swear words and death threats (seriously, people are too liberal saying things like ‘Kill yourself!’)…maybe, complaining is the wrong word to use. I dunno what else to call it…trolling? That’s what I have a problem with. I sort of wrote my above comment very fast, without thinking…but what I mean was that all this ‘Dammit Sera I hate your guts you’re so stupid where is Cas for f**k sake?’ kind of stuff reallt gets to me. To each their own opinion, but if you’re going to tell someone to hang themselves, then there’s really no point trying to express that. It’s just…anger. Not opinion. Comment sections should have comments and discussions…humour even, I love me a bit of humour But some people take being a fan WAY too far.

• Hudson says:

I think the problem comes when it seems like expressing the opinion that you like the character of Castiel and care what happens to him is being seen as “wrong” somehow. Everyone has their own favorites. For some it’s Dean, some it’s Sam, some it’s Crowley and for alot of people it’s Cas. And there’s a real fear that the Showrunner doesn’t care about the feelings of the fandom. I agree expressing rude or hating type of remarks is not acceptable. But most of the comments I’m reading are simply passionate pleas from fans who are hurting. So I’ll respect your opinion, hopefully you’ll respect mine and maybe the Showrunner will actually read them in a non-dismissive manner. At least we can hope.

• Ciara says:

I really wish there was some sort of comment forum or something that Showrunners would open so fans could – in an acceptable manner – express their feelings. It’s hard for any one person – including Sera – to please all the fans of one thing, but maybe if she weree able to actually listen to the fans, there’d be fewer outbursts.
            But you’re right, anyway, most of the comments are nice and respectful…I’ve just been reading a lot of fan comments on different sites with a Supernatural articals, and some fans are just plain brutal. But for the most part, I’m proud of fellow Supernatural…most of them are downright awesome.

• lolz says:

Gamble has all but said that Castiel is gone after the premiere in these last two interviews. I would actually prefer it if she had the balls to just admit it instead stringing fans along like this. It’s exactly that kind of behavior that makes fans feel betrayed and angry.

Also this idea that Sam is just a carboard cut out really does your boy JP no favors. If even his own fans don’t notice him when he’s pushed front and center and playing multiple characters in the same episode, then they guy should give up his day job.

35. Steph says:

Telling a good story would involve not ignoring the evolution of the show since Castiel was introduced in Season 4. Telling a good story would involve not carelessly destroying a complex and layered character who has added some much-needed body to the story and captured the hearts of many fans. Telling a good story would involve not writing your two central characters as petty and despicable, prepared to abandon someone who has been there for them during their troubles.

Telling a good story WOULD involve delving into the potential for genuine character development following the events of the previous season. Telling a good story WOULD involve following through with the message about family.

I hope they’re keeping those basics in mind.

And I do find it a bit ridiculous that ‘not redundant’ is supposedly a return to Sam-and-Dean vs the world. I think I just *might* have seen something like that before.

36. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cas/Misha and enjoy what he brings to the show. And I will cry my eyes out if/when he’s killed off, BUT….I started watching Supernatural before Cas came onto the show. It was always about Sam and Dean for me, and I knew other characters were disposable. So I will continue to watch, with or without Cas.

37. Carrie says:

Sera Gamble always says the worst possible things. Castiel has brought so many new fans to the show, as well as ratings. Many people only watch the show because they like Castiel’s story line. I’ve watched from season 1 and back then I loved it being about Sam and Dean, but after 3 seasons of that it was fantastic to get something new. Now I’d even say season 4 and 5 are my favourite seasons. Basically, if Castiel isn’t on the show any more, then I won’t be watching. There is so, so, so much more they can do with Castiel’s storyline. I mean he’s only been in 3 seasons. Sam and Dean have been in all 6, if anything it should be difficult to create new and not redundant storylines for them. Sigh.

38. Annabel says:

“We just want to tell a good story and not be redundant and bring you interesting stories that are fresh. Going into Season 7, we have a new, interesting story that we want to tell to you. That’s what’s front of mind right now”

Knowing the Supernatural showrunners, their idea of “interesting” is “What’s Wrong with Sam?”, version 7. I’d love to be wrong but after season after season of “Sam, the psykid/Chosen One/demon blood addict/kills demon wiht his mind/Lucifer’s vessel/soulless prick/fragmented psyche guy”, I don’t think the writers know how to write a season that’s about anything else.

39. Anita says:

I don’t understand people saying that “most fans don’t care about Cas” while every article like this one gets an overwhelming majority of people asking to save Cas and a handful of people whining about how “this is Sam and Dean show and please let’s just kill everybody that’s not them”.
    I know that the angel arc had to come to an end, just like every other arc in the show, but I’m just asking for a little more respect for a widely beloved character and the fans that love him. If there’s not going to be more angels, then make him human. If you want to go back to the old Sam and Dean show, then keep him an angel and make him return to Heaven for ever.
    But don’t make him the Big Bad with the brothers having to kill him at the end. That’s a blatant disregard for everything Cas has done for Sam and Dean since season 4.

40. Ciara says:

I feel that, if Cas IS to exit next Season, it should not be due to him being evil and having to be brought down by Sam and Dean. He should get a respectable exit…if he is to die, it should be for a good reason, perhaps in an act of selflessness. But I’d preger him not die, as I’m sure many fans would. So if Gamble and Co. could just write an exit for Cas – if he must exit – that will please us fans…that would be awesome.
    If not…well, he best not be leaving, in that case. Just like we didn’t want Season 5 to end with Sam and Dean fighting to the death, I really don’t want Sam and Dean fighting Cas to trhe death.
    Also…Sera’s biggest mistake, in my opinion, was having almost an entire Season highlighting the boys’d dependance on Cas, before quickly turning it round in the last few episodes so that, suddenly, Dean and Sam appeared to have been right beind Cas the whole way…way to make them look like jerks. It was as though they were pretending to care about Cas just so he wouldn’t open Purgatyory…we all know they DO care about Cas, but it was still hard to watch, in context…(not sure if I used that word right.)

41. Kaitlin says:

Re: Supernatural.

In my opinion, Castiel is one of the most interesting characters on the show. Castiel is what got me into Supernatural and to hear that the character could be dropped or made less important is very disheartening. He has so much potential for development. In the right hands, his story could go in countless exciting and innovative directions. I honestly don’t understand how he or his story arc could be considered redundant.

I can understand why some believe that the show should go back to its heart – Sam and Dean. However, I still don’t understand why the show can’t include other relationships or other stories. How does Castiel’s presence disrupt or weaken Sam and Dean’s relationship? Aren’t Dean and Sam allowed to care about more than a few people?
    To me, the true redundancy would be to tread the same ground over and over again and I fear that’s what’s going to happen.

Supernatural has grown too large to just be Sam and Dean’s story and we cannot just disregard all that’s happened. That’s just poor storytelling.

42. Concerned says:

I agree that this show is about two brothers saving people, hunting things, the family business. However, while I enjoyed the first few seasons, that formula was bound to get stale. Trying to go back to the “good ol’ days” is a mistake. Keep in mind that nostalgia for earlier times tends to leave one looking through extremely tinted glasses and miraculously unaware that it wasn’t all bliss and simplicity. The early seasons had their problems as well. Season 4 and the introduction of Castiel brought something new and fresh to the show, as well as a significant improvement in ratings and viewership. Castiel alone as a character brings tension, anticipation, and all those exciting emotions writers generally wish their fans to experience. One can even work with the turn Castiel has taken by asborbing the souls from Purgatory, provided he’s given redemption. Castiel is family now, and if Dean is correct that becoming family has to be earned, Castiel has earned that in spades. You don’t set up a character as beloved as Castiel and then just ignore the contribution he’s brought for the sake of convenience and plot contrivances. I watched this show for Sam, Dean, the family business in the beginning. Now I watch for Sam, Dean, Bobby, CASTIEL, the family business. Things change, people change, shows evolve to include new and well-loved characters. That’s not a bad thing. In fact, that’s incredibly wonderful. It would be a disappointment to see that brought down by what are frankly poor decisions in writing. This isn’t just one lonely opinion. It’s shared by many avid fans, casual viewers, and even well respected critics and reviewers. And looking through all these comments, the majority are in support of Castiel, and have written their opinion respectfully. Don’t forget that although some comments read with angry sentiments, expressing your anger or outrage is not in any way disrespectful. Would you rather the fans be apathetic? Would you rather they be dishonest and smile when it seems like the plot has taken a decidedly careless and erroneous turn? These are the same fans that helped bring in ratings, publicity, and win polls and competitions for you as earnest appreciation for the show.

43. Nina says:

Wow, all the constant and excessive Cas fan whining and hating on Sam, Dean and Gamble is getting creepy. I like Cas but to be so hateful and obsessive about him is nuts.

• Louisa says:

Oh please. Like you wouldn’t be here doing exactly this if your favourite was at risk? Of course you totally skipped through the hateful and obsessive posts that said Dean and Sam should hold him down and kill him when he has given his all for them.

• Dani says:

I think a lot of the “whining” might be because Cas fans are (understandably) worried about his future on the show and feel like they need to justify that worry since they keep being told by other fans (also in the minority, from what I’ve seen) that if they like Cas/are worried about his fate they’re somehow being “bad fans”. I love Sam, Dean, Bobby AND Cas and I would be really really saddened to see any of them go. If Cas does leave the show I’d keep watching because I love the Winchesters and want to see the end of their journey, but I wouldn’t like Cas not being there.

And as for the Sera hate–she’s not the only person on the creative team who made decisions about the direction of the show over this past year, so I totally agree that the hate on her has been a bit extreme. As showrunner, she ends up doing a lot of the interviews and thus gets most of the flak, but Kripke, Edlund and the rest of the writers had just as much of a hand in this past season as she did. (And I think that people tend to forget that a lot of quotes in interviews may not include the entire context, so they come off as more “dismissive” that they’re really intended to be.)

44. Brittany says:

Castiel is redundant? I think she’s forgetting that the Castiel-centric episodes seem to bring in the most viewers and the show WORKS with the dynamic they created.

You know what’s getting redundant? Sera Gamble and drive to screw this show right into the ground. Butchering characters for the sake of pushing sloppy plot twists. Using Misha Collins as a cheap ploy to gain finale suspense THREE seasons in a row.

45. Alice says:

I am so angry about what Sera Gamble seems to be doing to the show. The only storyline I really liked in S6 was Sam’s. I hated what they’ve done with Dean, and the Castiel storyline upset me too, especially as Gamble seems so determined to write him out. I’ve watched Supernatural from the beginning, and I agree that the focus of the show is rightly Sam and Dean. However, I love that the show evolved and brought in new characters for us to care about. Every other TV show does that, why can’t Supernatural? I love Castiel and his storyline so much. I think he brings a really interesting dynamic to the show, and gives Dean and Sam someone else to interact with. I will be so upset if all that character development is just thrown out of the window, especially if they’re going to end it on the note they left things in S6. I love Cas and I think he deserves the right to be redeemed and forgiven, just like Sam and Dean were. Personally, I’d love to see him fall and become human. Then if they’re really sick of the angel storyline, they can still keep Cas and have him be an interesting and valid character. There’s so much that can be done with him and saying he’s ‘redundant’ is just laziness. Dick move, show.

46. Cat says:

Cas is the bees’ knees. His storyline is far from redundant. LET HIM STAY.

47. Jd says:

Cancel Snoozernatural! One tree hill season 10 ftw!

48. Julie says:

I honesty am relived that the writers are beginning to notice the lack of interest in Cas that some fans have. I really hope they get rid of him. I like Misha but to me Cas is basically useless. Hes just there to give easy answers to the boys with out them having work much. I’d rather they killed Cas off.

49. Lisa says:

I think Castiel should go on. Fans loves him, I love him. He is a popular character and I hope they don’t see away from that. He should get a proper goodbye and that I hope that isn’t too soon. I don’t think he should die before like 5 episodes before the series finale or something. I have no problem if he appeared a little less, even though I would love him if he appeared as much as in Season 5. Just don’t kill him off. He is important for Sam and Dean. Hell, probably even for Bobby! The show seems to take many of a minor characters away. Like Jo and Ellen. Almost everyone loves them and misses them. Don’t let that happen to our Cas.

50. narrans says:

Fine, they feel the angel arc is becoming old, that’s okay. But what I don’t get is WHY the writers feel the only way they can end character storylines is death (Jo, Ellen, Bella) or turning the character evil (Anna, who also dies). There are a TON of respectful ways to write Cas out of the series if they want without doing either of these things, and it kind of ticks me off that, again, they’re probably going to do this with Castiel. It’s boring and terribly unoriginal, and there’s no shock value left in it at all; all it does is say the writers are one-trick ponies, if they feel killing off characters, or making a character who’s been Sam and Dean’s staunchest ally next to Bobby evil, is the only way they can generate angst.

Misha had a great idea at a recent convention: have Cas fall. Do it at the midseason finale. Seriously. Have him become human. That gets rid of the angel storyline, opens up a new character story for Cas, keeps the Cas fans happy, AND the focus can stay on Sam and Dean.

It’s not that hard, writers. It really, really isn’t.

• Brittany says:

I agree with this. I’d love to see a mid-season arc of Cas failing and becoming human. THAT would be interesting.

• Kate says:

This seems like a great middle ground to me, as opposed to the hints that the show may well proceed with wasting an intriguing story possibility and a highly popular character/actor. There are what, 22 episodes? If this news hadn’t been leaked for the blind item and Sera Gamble hadn’t reportedly sanctioned the Upfronts press release only to announce within two hours of the finale that Misha wouldn’t be a regular, they could have done something like this. They could have had Misha appear five or six times during the season (which is probably what he did in S6, if that) without any of this furore. Then Sera could have had her cake and eaten it. How ironic.