Comic-Con

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on House, Grey's Anatomy, Fringe, Nikita and Leverage

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

House | That House’s sedan amazingly didn’t critically injure Cuddy in the season finale leaves the Fox drama’s writers with the matter of how to account for the boss lady’s absence when Season 8 picks up. “That’s what we’ve got to figure out,” series creator David Shore tells us, noting that Lisa Edelstein’s decision to not re-up caught everyone off guard. “It wasn’t planned that way — we wanted her back, but unfortunately it isn’t happening.” Another question mark looms over PPTH with regards to another original cast member, Jesse Spencer. Shore however remains confident that the Chase will be on come fall. “I don’t know if his deal’s done for sure, but yeah, he’ll be back.” (A show source confirms that as of Monday morning, Spencer’s deal “is not quite done yet.”)

House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn’t Trying To Kill Cuddy

Fringe | Count Anna Torv among those utterly perplexed as to what Peter’s “nonexistence” means not just for Fox series’ coming narrative, but specifically for Bolivia’s bambino. After all, given the jaw-dropping season-ending reveal, “That means that [the baby] doesn’t exist, right?” she wonders. “That’s the stuff that I’m left thinking about.” But while Torv tells me she is “super-interested in what’s going to happen to the baby,” the biggest question on her noggin concerns what the extraction of Peter from Olivia’s past means for her character. As the actress puts it, “Who is she, having never met Peter?”

Fringe Finale Exclusive: WTF Happened?! Producers Answer (Some) Burning Questions

Grey’s Anatomy | “Mexie” fans have been asking me what if anything else Shonda Rhimes had to say about the fate of their fave couple, outside of what I included in the season finale post mortem Q&A (where she said, “I really like Mark and Lexie together”). Well, I had posited to Rhimes that it must be tempting to have those two lunge at each other in any given scene, given the ridiculous chemistry shared by Chyler Leigh and Eric Dane. She countered, “Chyler has ridiculous chemistry with everybody” — and that is one reason why she shook up the root-for pair by pointing Lexie at Avery. Rhimes also reminds that while it’d be “very simple to have [Mark and Lexie] get together, their problems are large, and there is a big age difference –- and Lexie has some growing up to do.” Which, glass-half-full folks, isn’t a no!

Patrick Dempsey On Grey’s Anatomy Future: Season 8 Will Be ‘My Last’

Nikita | Speaking of palpably hot pairings, when I spoke with Maggie Q and Shane West at The CW’s upfronts soiree, I apprised them that series boss Craig Silverstein had told us that Nikita and Michael’s “happy ending” would be short-lived. Maggie at first had a bit of a giggle over the choice of words (“‘Happy ending’ and ‘short-lived’ go together, don’t they?”), then seconded the decision to “make some waves.” Said Q, “He wants to create friction for them and gut them, then make them happy, and then gut them again. That’s his plan.” West chimed in with a Silverstein sound bite of his own — “It’s very easy to bring two people together, and it’s very hard to pull them apart” — then conceded that “having these two characters together now is going to be difficult.” Maybe helping hiccup their hook-up will be the new male and female characters being brought on next season, one for each of them? West had fun with that scooplet, joking to his leading lady: “I’ll take the guy, you take the girl.”

Exclusive: Nikita Boss Solves Finale Mysteries, Shares Season 2 Scoop

Leverage | Quite possibly the best thing to happen to TNT’s caper drama this season is the invasion of some slithery and armored ETs. “We’re going up [on Sunday nights] with Falling Skies, which is Spielberg,” Christian Kane told me with no small amount of enthusiasm, “so [Leverage EP] Dean Devlin has pulled out all the stops and packed in a lot more action, a lot more explosions.” All for a lot more money? “I can’t talk about the budget, but I can say that Eliot is partly responsible for it being bigger,” Kane said with a wink. While Leverage will take the occasional moment to explore its Hitter’s softer side (“Eliot has always been the Tin Man, the guy without a heart, but one is starring to grow inside him,” says Kane), viewers can also expect an answer to the lingering question: What is the infamous Worst Thing Eliot ever did, while working for Moreau? “Yeah,” says Kane, “You’re going to find that out.” Leverage launches its new run on June 26.

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (173)

• Any actor free to escape from “House” at this point is probably thrilled to do so. Hugh Laurie must look at their departures with fierce, desperate longing.

Comment by Amy Vincent – June 6, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s in no way leading lady material on Grey’s, but I really like Chyler Leigh as a supporting character on Grey’s. I think she fits best taht way. But I cannot stand Lexie and Mark. Sorry. Mark is in a old-man-going-after-a-too-young-girl-mid-life-crisis which is beyond unappealing when they are together. How I wish Rhimes & crew cared enough about Mark Sloan to give him a great love interest rather than one that is making him unlikable and unwatchable. I don’t mind Jackson and Lexie. I’m willing to give them a chance over the train-wreck that was Mark/Lexie. They are just not worth my time, kinda creepy, and is one of the reasons Grey’s has been lacking lately in terms of quality in the seasons they have been highlighted in. Maybe the terrific paring of Addison and Mark (Kate Walsh/Eric Dane) spoiled me for Mark with any other character, I don’t know, but Lexie is not working with him in any capacity.

Comment by Jamie – June 6, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Addison and Mark were hot as long as it was just an affair kind of thing between them, but they were never endgame & real romance material IMO. Mark is just not and will never be what Addison is looking for in that department.

Comment by Zedd – June 7, 2011 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What people seem to be missing is that this seasons finale was good a set up to the series finale. Laurie, now being one of the principal financiers of the show, the central character & on numerous occasions having filled the role of director and scriptwriter, has mentioned that the only acceptable ending to the show would be with House dying. Laurie has also stated clearly that he doesn’t want to do House forever, for fear of being completely typecast, and that the only organic and natural ending to the show would be with House dying, simply because of the characters self destructive tendencies. Lisa Edelstein’s decision to not renew her contract highlights the fact that she realized that her role would be marginalized if the show continued to chart the course to House’s death. Now look at this from her position, your a character on a show who is about to be marginalized in a massive way, & your options outside of the show would be limited, if she did continue she wouldn’t be able to work for anyone other than Fox or a Fox subsidiary. SO i think she did the right thing; the smart thing. N.Y.U.’s Tisch School of the Arts does not produce idiots. :-)

Comment by Michael – June 7, 2011 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are completely right!

Comment by Erica – June 7, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be disappointed if Jesse Spencer does not return to House. He’s a good actor who brings a great deal of charm and humanity to a character who could have been annoying and unlikable from the start. On the other hand, Chase has been one of the most ill-used characters on the show recently. I don’t think that the writers have had any clue what to do with him in the past couple of seasons — which is really a shame, as the character and actor have a terrific chemistry with House/Hugh Laurie. The writers have turned Chase, Foreman and Wilson into one-dimensional, flat characters. Wasted opportunities, I’d say, as House is much more interesting when interacting with interesting characters who bring out nuance in him or vice versa.

Comment by Leiney – June 7, 2011 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am surprised in one sense at the news that Jesse Spencer has not yet signed on for another year at “House.” I have thought for years that he was woefully underused, a potentially interesting actor whose interactions with House and Foreman were particularly intriguing. The work that Spencer and Omar Epps did during the Dibala arc was outstanding and should have been followed through by the writers in subsequent seasons.

In another sense, I am not surprised at all. I think that Spencer recognizes, as Lisa Edelstein did, that the ideas and spark have been extinguised on this once great show. I suspect that he knows that no real storylines will be introduced or developed in season 8 which is increasingly looking like the final one for this show. Chase will end the series where he began, as a challenging idea unexplored.

Without Cuddy, the format of the show will be horribly distorted. Cuddy was far more than House’s romantic interest. She represented his connection with his humanized potential, his link to the chance for a better life and his connection with human ties and adult responsibilities.

Cuddy acted as the crucial boundary which kept House on this side of normal both on the job and in his personal life. Wilson never could serve this role because he was primarily House’s enabler, feeding off of House’s vast neediness as both men acknowledged back in season 5 when Wilson returned after losing Amber.

The idea of watching next season as a revolving door of hapless administrators tries to corral House and fails miserably seems dull and disheartening in the extreme. House may be moving on, but as an audience we are stuck in a purgatory of dashed hopes and frustrated expectations. Just so sad.

So I wish Jesse Spencer every luck in finding a new job that better suits his talents and ambitions. He deserves more.

Comment by Carol – June 7, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “in addition to the boundary, Cuddy also represented the goal. She was what House was striving for, what he wanted, what he set his heart and his mind on achieving to improve his quality of life. Without Cuddy, House has no boundaries and he has no goals.”

Oh my God.

Comment by D – June 7, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, Carol’s post makes me cringe! You don’t even have to make the effort of mst-ing it!

Comment by Sam – June 7, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is the result when someone read too much harlequin romances and watch too much soap opera! See kids, don’t follow Carol’s example otherwise you’ll end up writing posts full of nonsense.

Comment by Sam – June 7, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a well thought out and written post ..THANK YOU CAROL TRUER WORDS WERE NEVER SPOKEN
      R*I*P GREGORY HOUSE WE HARDLY KNEW YE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by erin – June 7, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my, what a bunch of sappy, cheap nonsense!

Comment by Ana – June 8, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • shore and misery

house md 8 season rip

Comment by angela – June 7, 2011 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. It’s insane that so many people can’t talk about a TV show without resorting to placing the blame on ships, name-calling and viscious accusations. It’s not a good statement for ANYONE, whatever “side” you’re on.

Comment by Lucy – June 8, 2011 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is absolutely fascinating and more than a bit sickening reading all of the fierce hatred against Cuddy (and LE) spewing forth on this site. This is such a laughable commentary on the miniscule minds of some viewers. And let me apologize in advance to those of you who are disturbed or frightened by my expansive vocabulary. Since you made the guess, you might want to know: I have never read a romance novel and I stopped watching soap operas in high school, over 40 years ago. I find that using my intelligence, my education, and my imagination is more than enough. Sorry some of you can’t keep up.

Comment by Carol – June 9, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Carol, I agree with your intelligently written post and post-script on the unnecessary vitriol on this site. I am also an over-40 professional and not a huddy fangirl or whatever namecalling people come up with but I enjoyed the House – Cuddy relationship and romance. People who are attacking Lisa E./Cuddy may have their own opinions as to whether they liked the pairing or not but everyone of TPTB and virtually every critic reviewing the show I have read has recognized Cuddy’s pivotal role in the show and her importance personally to House the man and the show; TPTB praised Lisa for her acting, her enthusiasm and pleasure to work with her and critics and (many) fans praise her acting talent. Oh including Hugh Laurie. So, you are entitled to your opinion not liking Cuddy or Huddy, whatever, but you really have no reliable grounds to diss the actress or her role in the show. Her leaving is going to hurt the show. But the poor writing and characterizations have been severe body blows as well.

Comment by Joan – June 12, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Who is she, having never met Peter?”

As much as I loved it when Peter and our Olivia became a couple, I’m freakishly excited to see how that plays out. And the dynamic between Olivia/Fauxlivia? It’s going to be awesome. I can’t wait to see what the writers do with it, and I can’t wait to see how Anna plays it, because she’s phenomenal when it comes to playing those different versions of Olivia.

Comment by Amanda – June 22, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post