Mad Men, Fringe, Good Wife, Modern Family, Community, Justified Lead Critics Choice Kudos

Get More: Awards, News

In what hopefully will turn out to be a harbinger of the 2011 Emmys, the nominations for the inaugural Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced this morning, and a handful of acclaimed yet heretofore kudos-deprived series were at last singled out. ABC’s red-hot Modern Family received the most nods of any program (six), followed by fellow awards magnet Mad Men. But about those breakthrough shows…

FX’s Justified scored an impressive four noms, including best drama, best actor for Timothy Olyphant, best supporting actress for Margo Martindale and best supporting actor for Walton Goggins. CBS’ The Good Wife and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire also snagged four nods apiece. AMC rookie The Killing fared well with three nominations, tying with Fox’s Fringe, which saw leading lady Anna Torv and the long-overlooked John Noble make the list of contenders.

Two NBC comedy upstarts, Community and Parks and Recreation, walked off with three nods apiece, including best comedy series and plaudits for their respective leads, Joel McHale and Amy Poehler. They’ll compete with fellow Thursday-night companions 30 Rock and The Office.

ABC’s Wednesday comedy block also got a nice boost with The Middle and Cougar Town nabbing a combined five nods, including lead actress for Patricia Heaton and Courteney Cox and supporting actress for Eden Shur and Busy Philipps.

The complete list of nominations are below. The first CCT Awards (selected by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, of which yours truly is a member), are scheduled to be handed out on June 20 in Los Angeles and will air two days later on ReelzChannel at 8/7c. Additionally, the ceremony will be live streamed on VH1.com.

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Fringe
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Justified
The Killing
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)
Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
William H. Macy (Shameless)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
Mireille Enos (The Killing)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)
Anna Torv (Fringe)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Alan Cumming (The Good Wife)
Walton Goggins (Justified)
Shawn Hatosy (Southland)
John Noble (Fringe)
Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire)
John Slattery (Mad Men)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Michelle Forbes (The Killing)
Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
Margo Martindale (Justified)
Kelly Macdonald (Boardwalk Empire)
Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
Chloë Sevigny (Big Love)

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Archer
The Big Bang Theory
Community
Glee
Louie
The Middle
Modern Family
The Office
Parks and Recreation
30 Rock

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Steve Carell (The Office)
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Joel McHale (Community)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Best Actress in a Comedy Series
Courteney Cox (Cougar Town)
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Patricia Heaton (The Middle)
Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation)
Ed O’Neill (Modern Family)
Danny Pudi (Community)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)
Jane Lynch (Glee)
Busy Philipps (Cougar Town)
Eden Sher (The Middle)
Sofía Vergara (Modern Family)

Best Reality Series
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Hoarders
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Sister Wives
Undercover Boss

BEST REALITY SERIES — COMPETITION
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
Project Runway
RuPaul’s Drag Race
Top Chef

BEST REALITY SHOW HOST
Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars)
Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance)
Ty Pennington (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition)
Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)

BEST TALK SHOW
Chelsea Lately
The Daily Show
The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The Oprah Winfrey Show

Comments (209)

• Kyle and Connie FTW!! Love Friday Night Lights. I will miss it terribly.

Comment by Amanda – June 6, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Community!! I’m so happy they’re in cos I thought they were the most solid comedy show last season. And congrats to Joel McHale and especially Danny Pudi!! Totally deserved!

Comment by DeeDee – June 6, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, it’s so wonderful to see both of them recognized! I’d also liked to have seen Allison Brie there, she did fantastic work this season, but I am happy to finally see some Community love, so no complaining from me. If the awards are televised, I’ll be watching (unlike the Emmys). With both Fringe and Community nominated, I finally have a reason to watch one of these shows.

Comment by Cobie – June 6, 2011 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RuPaul’s Drag Race, FTW!!

Comment by shaz – June 6, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Louie but how can Louie CK get a Best Acting Nod for playing himself.. sort of like Seinfeld IMO… Did Jerry ever win a Best Comedy Actor for playing himself???

Comment by Doug-H – June 6, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So you think you can influence the Emmys by nominating what they were going to nominate anyway? OK.

Comment by anna – June 6, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel McHale, best actor? Really? Ha ha okay.

Comment by riga – June 6, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s wrong with Joel?

Comment by cl – June 6, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like the man just fine, but a great actor he is not.

Comment by riga – June 6, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Respectfully disagree, Joel does a great job. I don’t even think of his Soup stint when I watch the show, just see Jeff Winger. I hope Joel wins. I think he deserves it, and I would love to see his acceptance speech.

Comment by Chiana – June 6, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hmmm Respectfully disagree, Joel does a great job. I don’t even think of his Soup stint when I watch the show, just see Jeff Winger. I hope Joel wins. I think he deserves it, and I would love to see his acceptance speech.

Comment by Chiana – June 6, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yea, great job Mike Rowe. Just wish Dirty Jobs was nominated over Real Housewives, blech.

Comment by cl – June 6, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally a set of nominations I can get behind almost 100%.

Comment by Sourabh – June 6, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Aubrey Plaza?!?! She’s 10000000x funnier than all 6 of the supporting actress: comedy nominees COMBINED.

Comment by Logistics – June 6, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!!
    Anna Torv!!
    John NOble!!
    Need I say more.

Comment by Cortexifan – June 6, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would not want to be the one to decide Best Supporting Actor In A Drama Series. Most, if not all, are deserving. Same goes for Best Drama Series. You’re in good company in that category.

Comment by Becky – June 6, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No nomination for COLBERT REPORT? No love for Phil Keoghan, host with the most of TV’s best reality show ever, THE AMAZING RACE? This kudofest has lost all credibility with me.

Comment by Sharon – June 6, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, the Colbert Report really should have been in there. I am shocked Chelsea Lately got nominated over Colbert. I used to watch Chelsea Lately religiously, but I got to a point where I deleted it from recording on my DVR because she crossed a line from being caustic to just being bitter and unfunny. I’m very sad not to see Stephen in this category.

Comment by Amber – June 6, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I imagine Colbert’s satire is waaay over their heads.

Comment by JohnDoe – June 7, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHERE THE HECK ARE THE TRUE BLOOD NOMS? It’s a crime that the acting isn’t recognized, much less it being up for Best Drama. *sigh*

Comment by Danielle H. – June 6, 2011 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding. Especially Denis O’Hare who was awesome in a very ‘meh’ season.

Comment by JohnDoe – June 7, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really, True Blood? The acting in the show is good, don’t get me wrong, but none of the actors had the kind of material necessary to go up against the other nominees.I stopped watching 8 episodes into the 2010 season of True Blood, it was THAT insulting to the audience. I love the books, I love the base storyline, I even love the actors but it just got so stupid at the end I stopped caring. And I kept watching for several episodes even after it hit my BS threshold simply because Alexander Skarsgaard is so hot. Even THAT didn’t save the show. I hope they do better this season.

Comment by MasterKat – June 14, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally some love for Community (!!!!!!), Friday Night Lights, and Parks & Recs. Really hope they get some wins.

(Why did Glee get nominated though? Used to love that show but it has been dreadful this season)

Comment by Lily Smith – June 6, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, Anna Torv is getting the recognition she deserves! Hope she wins!

John Noble too, of course!

Comment by Kay – June 6, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Imo :

Best drama : The Good Wife
    Best lead actress : Julianne Marguilles / Anna Torv
    Best lead actress comedy : Courtney Cord
    Supporting comedy female : Busy Phillips
    Supporting drama female : Archie Panjabi
    Supporting drama male : Alan Cumming
    Best comedy : The Big Bang Theory

Comment by Ingmar – June 6, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great to see The Middle getting some recognition. Definitely the most underrated show on TV. The Good Wife? That boring mess of a show is the most overrated. No love for Sandra Oh Greys Anatomy or Kadee Strickland on Private Practice?

Comment by chris – June 6, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SO thrilled that Cat Deeley was nominated for SYTYCD!!! She is so kind, funny, sweet, and beautiful!! I hope the Emmy folks take note!!

Comment by G-Mom – June 6, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see the critics are getting it right, even if the emmys and golden globes will continue to overlook some of these shows.

Comment by XK – June 6, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL poor Glee. Good to see that mess dying down. OMG I just realized Eden Sher was nominated. LOVE Sue Heck!! <33333

Comment by chris – June 6, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This list is filled with shows I both Love and Loathe…but I am happy for Justified and Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins. I could care less about ever seeing Neil Patrick Harris ever again on ANYTHING!! Same for Steve Carell. Also happy for John Noble and Alan Cumming.

Comment by IMHO – June 6, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified all the way. Those of you who don’t mention Justified, have not seen Justified.

Comment by Rooney72 – June 6, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You said it. Watch. Get S1 on dvd and check this show out…you won’t be sorry. Best show on television, hands down.

Comment by chelebr – June 6, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its a close second but check out “Game of Thrones”, nothing like it has ever been tried or accomplished as well on television. Elmore Leonard’s genius is in his dialogue and brilliant dialogue is easier to replicate, (but no dialogue is better than “Justified”), than the look and feel of George Martin’s books. I’d give the slight edge to “Thrones” this year but would be happy if either took the prize. I’d hate to be any drama against “Thrones” this year. Just so different, so original, so brilliant.

Comment by bhm1304 – June 7, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cress Williams (Vince’s dad on Friday Night Lights) should have been nominated as best supporting actor in a drama series. He only appeared in the last season, but he was absolutely outstanding.

Comment by Ronnie Mund – June 6, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is Katey Sagal!!! Martha Plimpton!!! Busy Phillips!!! These are total wins for me! :)

Comment by Lana – June 6, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Community! Disappointed Alison’s not up there in the supporting category, but hurray for Joel snagging a lead nomination. :)

Comment by ell – June 6, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ingmar, It’s Courteney COX ;)& agree with Jay

I’m happy for Busy too, so so happy for Courteney
    but I’m disappointed because Cougar Town (most underrated show) isn’t on the list

Comment by shay – June 6, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jeff probst wasn’t nominated? Shocking!

On another note: glad Cat is =) she’s adorable

Comment by fiona – June 6, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad that fringe is finally get some recognition that it deserves! I hope one of them win :)

Comment by Carol – June 6, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa!
    Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Killing, Mad Men.
    That’s a tough choice.

Comment by Aurore – June 6, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, some new blood! Hugh Laurie, as great as he is, just doesn’t have the material to deserve a nomination these days.

Comment by LA – June 6, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put up a poll and let US vote! See how our choices stack up against the official results when they’re announced. Congrats to Justified, Game of Thrones, and John Noble (personal favorites).

Comment by mgbhighlander – June 6, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now this is a ballot of well deserved names. I love seeing Kyle, Connie, Timothy, Margo, Walton, Amy & Nick, Joel, Mireille, Anna/John, Joel. I love seeing the casts of Community, Justified, FNL, Cougar Town, Fringe and P&R among the nominees. If only the Emmy’s would follow suit.

Comment by Laura – June 6, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeebus, Jim Parsons AGAIN?

And The Office?

Comment by Watt Defark – June 6, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage. That’s all.

Comment by João Amaral – June 6, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely agree with the nominations for Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, Fringe and Cougartown. I also like the noms for Nick Offerman, Busy Phillips, Anna Torv, and John Noble.

Comment by Justin – June 6, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Love and Sons of Anarchy were the two best shows on tv this past season, and neither gets a Best Drama nod??

Comment by josh – June 6, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo happy for Michael Pitt in Boardwalk Empire, he is so great as Jimmy Darmody.

Comment by Cathy F – June 6, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed that Emmy Rossum got snubbed for best actress in a dram for shameless. She was perfect on the show and I definitely deserved the nomination. Oh well, fingers crossed for an Emmy nod.

Comment by HST – June 6, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *she definitely deserved…

Comment by HST – June 6, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so nice to see Patricia Heaton and Eden Sher recognized for their performances in “The Middle,” which to me is much funnier, and more relatable, than “Modern Family.”

I still watch old episodes of “Everybody Loves Raymond,” and never think of the screaming meanie, ego-busting shrew, Ms. Heaton played on that show while I’m watching her Frankie in “The Middle.” She’s created a completely different persona, the mark of a great actress.

And Eden Sher’s Sue speaks for so many adolescent girls trying to find their way through the difficult teen years. She’s much more relatable to me than the Dunphy girls on “Modern Family.”

Comment by Marci – June 6, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh so john and Anna get awarded for how WONDERFUL the writers treat them while josh gets treated like crap? Screw you fringe, I am done with you.

Comment by frustratedjoshpeterfan – June 6, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my opinion Noble, Pudi, Torv and Charlie Day should all win. I agree, Peter Dinklage deserves recognition. Remember, a Lannister always pays his debts.

Comment by RobertT – June 6, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are a few quibbles I have (where’s Jesse Tyler Ferguson?), but if the Emmy nods looked like this, I’d be thrilled. Especially glad Anna Torv’s getting some well-deserved love.

Comment by Amy – June 6, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK I found this list unusually pleasing. Shocking.

FNL, Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler
    Justified, Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins
    Cat Deeley

I actually think the drama section is superb.

Comment by Renee – June 6, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where was Hawaii Five-0?!? They did a great job on the reboot.

Comment by Will – June 6, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Overall I like the noms, although I feel this will NOT be a precursor for the Emmys. A lot of the noms (Raising Hope, The Middle, Community, Cougar Town, Fringe) will not carry over. And what’s with the Survivor snub? It deserved nominations in both Best Reality Competition and especially Best Host (Jeff Probst is undefeated at the Emmys and is a quality host). But I love the attention Parks and Recreation got, and I love The Good Wife and Boardwalk Empire. They are the best dramas on TV.

Comment by TJ S. – June 6, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally John Noble!! Nobody deserves it more than him! And I’m happy for Olivia, though I don’t think she deserves to win! One other actress who totally deserves an award is Stana Katic!! Were the critics even watching Castle this season? She was amazing and they’ve totally ignored her!!
    And so happy for Michael. C. Hall & Dexter. I love Dexter!

Comment by GW – June 6, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just hope the Emmy panel actually consider this list while they make their choices!

Comment by GW – June 6, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love most of these, just bummed Parenthood isn’t in there!
    otherwise, so nice to see some overlooked shows/actors finally getting a shot.

Comment by flutiefan – June 6, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurray for Eden Shur. One of the best comic actresses on TV regardless of age. Great that she gets recognized.

Comment by jo slattery – June 6, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOOOOO glad someone from southland FINALLY got recognized!! Shawn Hatosy rocks! So much talent playing a variety of characters. The whole show deserves a best drama nod…if u haven’t seen it, watch it!!

Comment by leah – June 6, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled for Shawn Hatosy but sad that “Southland” didn’t make it in for Best Drama. It is hands down, the best dramatic show on TV. Also very happy for all of the “Community” love. Wished Donald Glover would’ve gotten a Supporting Actor nod but I love that Danny Pudi was recognized.

Comment by t – June 6, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post