Mad Men, Fringe, Good Wife, Modern Family, Community, Justified Lead Critics Choice Kudos

In what hopefully will turn out to be a harbinger of the 2011 Emmys, the nominations for the inaugural Critics’ Choice Television Awards were announced this morning, and a handful of acclaimed yet heretofore kudos-deprived series were at last singled out. ABC’s red-hot Modern Family received the most nods of any program (six), followed by fellow awards magnet Mad Men. But about those breakthrough shows…

FX’s Justified scored an impressive four noms, including best drama, best actor for Timothy Olyphant, best supporting actress for Margo Martindale and best supporting actor for Walton Goggins. CBS’ The Good Wife and HBO’s Boardwalk Empire also snagged four nods apiece. AMC rookie The Killing fared well with three nominations, tying with Fox’s Fringe, which saw leading lady Anna Torv and the long-overlooked John Noble make the list of contenders.

Two NBC comedy upstarts, Community and Parks and Recreation, walked off with three nods apiece, including best comedy series and plaudits for their respective leads, Joel McHale and Amy Poehler. They’ll compete with fellow Thursday-night companions 30 Rock and The Office.

ABC’s Wednesday comedy block also got a nice boost with The Middle and Cougar Town nabbing a combined five nods, including lead actress for Patricia Heaton and Courteney Cox and supporting actress for Eden Shur and Busy Philipps.

The complete list of nominations are below. The first CCT Awards (selected by the Broadcast Television Journalists Association, of which yours truly is a member), are scheduled to be handed out on June 20 in Los Angeles and will air two days later on ReelzChannel at 8/7c. Additionally, the ceremony will be live streamed on VH1.com.

BEST DRAMA SERIES
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Fringe
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
Justified
The Killing
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)
Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)
Michael C. Hall (Dexter)
Jon Hamm (Mad Men)
William H. Macy (Shameless)
Timothy Olyphant (Justified)

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)
Mireille Enos (The Killing)
Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)
Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy)
Anna Torv (Fringe)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Alan Cumming (The Good Wife)
Walton Goggins (Justified)
Shawn Hatosy (Southland)
John Noble (Fringe)
Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire)
John Slattery (Mad Men)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Michelle Forbes (The Killing)
Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)
Margo Martindale (Justified)
Kelly Macdonald (Boardwalk Empire)
Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
Chloë Sevigny (Big Love)

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Archer
The Big Bang Theory
Community
Glee
Louie
The Middle
Modern Family
The Office
Parks and Recreation
30 Rock

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Steve Carell (The Office)
Louis C.K. (Louie)
Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
Joel McHale (Community)
Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

Best Actress in a Comedy Series
Courteney Cox (Cougar Town)
Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)
Patricia Heaton (The Middle)
Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope)
Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother)
Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation)
Ed O’Neill (Modern Family)
Danny Pudi (Community)
Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Julie Bowen (Modern Family)
Jane Krakowski (30 Rock)
Jane Lynch (Glee)
Busy Philipps (Cougar Town)
Eden Sher (The Middle)
Sofía Vergara (Modern Family)

Best Reality Series
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Hoarders
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Sister Wives
Undercover Boss

BEST REALITY SERIES — COMPETITION
The Amazing Race
American Idol
Dancing with the Stars
Project Runway
RuPaul’s Drag Race
Top Chef

BEST REALITY SHOW HOST
Tom Bergeron (Dancing with the Stars)
Cat Deeley (So You Think You Can Dance)
Ty Pennington (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition)
Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Ryan Seacrest (American Idol)

BEST TALK SHOW
Chelsea Lately
The Daily Show
The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Jimmy Kimmel Live!
The Oprah Winfrey Show

1. Amanda says:

Kyle and Connie FTW!! Love Friday Night Lights. I will miss it terribly.

2. DeeDee says:

Yeah for Community!! I’m so happy they’re in cos I thought they were the most solid comedy show last season. And congrats to Joel McHale and especially Danny Pudi!! Totally deserved!

• Cobie says:

I know, it’s so wonderful to see both of them recognized! I’d also liked to have seen Allison Brie there, she did fantastic work this season, but I am happy to finally see some Community love, so no complaining from me. If the awards are televised, I’ll be watching (unlike the Emmys). With both Fringe and Community nominated, I finally have a reason to watch one of these shows.

3. shaz says:

RuPaul’s Drag Race, FTW!!

4. Doug-H says:

I love Louie but how can Louie CK get a Best Acting Nod for playing himself.. sort of like Seinfeld IMO… Did Jerry ever win a Best Comedy Actor for playing himself???

5. anna says:

So you think you can influence the Emmys by nominating what they were going to nominate anyway? OK.

6. riga says:

Joel McHale, best actor? Really? Ha ha okay.

• cl says:

What’s wrong with Joel?

• riga says:

I like the man just fine, but a great actor he is not.

• Chiana says:

• Chiana says:

Hmmm Respectfully disagree, Joel does a great job. I don’t even think of his Soup stint when I watch the show, just see Jeff Winger. I hope Joel wins. I think he deserves it, and I would love to see his acceptance speech.

7. cl says:

Oh yea, great job Mike Rowe. Just wish Dirty Jobs was nominated over Real Housewives, blech.

8. Sourabh says:

Finally a set of nominations I can get behind almost 100%.

9. Logistics says:

Where’s Aubrey Plaza?!?! She’s 10000000x funnier than all 6 of the supporting actress: comedy nominees COMBINED.

10. Cortexifan says:

Fringe!!
    Anna Torv!!
    John NOble!!
    Need I say more.

11. Becky says:

I would not want to be the one to decide Best Supporting Actor In A Drama Series. Most, if not all, are deserving. Same goes for Best Drama Series. You’re in good company in that category.

12. Sharon says:

No nomination for COLBERT REPORT? No love for Phil Keoghan, host with the most of TV’s best reality show ever, THE AMAZING RACE? This kudofest has lost all credibility with me.

• Amber says:

I agree, the Colbert Report really should have been in there. I am shocked Chelsea Lately got nominated over Colbert. I used to watch Chelsea Lately religiously, but I got to a point where I deleted it from recording on my DVR because she crossed a line from being caustic to just being bitter and unfunny. I’m very sad not to see Stephen in this category.

13. Danielle H. says:

WHERE THE HECK ARE THE TRUE BLOOD NOMS? It’s a crime that the acting isn’t recognized, much less it being up for Best Drama. *sigh*

• JohnDoe says:

No kidding. Especially Denis O’Hare who was awesome in a very ‘meh’ season.

• MasterKat says:

Really, True Blood? The acting in the show is good, don’t get me wrong, but none of the actors had the kind of material necessary to go up against the other nominees.I stopped watching 8 episodes into the 2010 season of True Blood, it was THAT insulting to the audience. I love the books, I love the base storyline, I even love the actors but it just got so stupid at the end I stopped caring. And I kept watching for several episodes even after it hit my BS threshold simply because Alexander Skarsgaard is so hot. Even THAT didn’t save the show. I hope they do better this season.

14. Lily Smith says:

Finally some love for Community (!!!!!!), Friday Night Lights, and Parks & Recs. Really hope they get some wins.

(Why did Glee get nominated though? Used to love that show but it has been dreadful this season)

15. Kay says:

Finally, Anna Torv is getting the recognition she deserves! Hope she wins!

John Noble too, of course!

16. Ingmar says:

Imo :

Best drama : The Good Wife
    Best lead actress : Julianne Marguilles / Anna Torv
    Best lead actress comedy : Courtney Cord
    Supporting comedy female : Busy Phillips
    Supporting drama female : Archie Panjabi
    Supporting drama male : Alan Cumming
    Best comedy : The Big Bang Theory

17. chris says:

Great to see The Middle getting some recognition. Definitely the most underrated show on TV. The Good Wife? That boring mess of a show is the most overrated. No love for Sandra Oh Greys Anatomy or Kadee Strickland on Private Practice?

18. G-Mom says:

I am SO thrilled that Cat Deeley was nominated for SYTYCD!!! She is so kind, funny, sweet, and beautiful!! I hope the Emmy folks take note!!

19. XK says:

Glad to see the critics are getting it right, even if the emmys and golden globes will continue to overlook some of these shows.

20. chris says:

LOL poor Glee. Good to see that mess dying down. OMG I just realized Eden Sher was nominated. LOVE Sue Heck!! <33333

21. IMHO says:

This list is filled with shows I both Love and Loathe…but I am happy for Justified and Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins. I could care less about ever seeing Neil Patrick Harris ever again on ANYTHING!! Same for Steve Carell. Also happy for John Noble and Alan Cumming.

22. Rooney72 says:

Justified all the way. Those of you who don’t mention Justified, have not seen Justified.

• chelebr says:

You said it. Watch. Get S1 on dvd and check this show out…you won’t be sorry. Best show on television, hands down.

• bhm1304 says:

Its a close second but check out “Game of Thrones”, nothing like it has ever been tried or accomplished as well on television. Elmore Leonard’s genius is in his dialogue and brilliant dialogue is easier to replicate, (but no dialogue is better than “Justified”), than the look and feel of George Martin’s books. I’d give the slight edge to “Thrones” this year but would be happy if either took the prize. I’d hate to be any drama against “Thrones” this year. Just so different, so original, so brilliant.

23. Ronnie Mund says:

Cress Williams (Vince’s dad on Friday Night Lights) should have been nominated as best supporting actor in a drama series. He only appeared in the last season, but he was absolutely outstanding.

24. Lana says:

All I can say is Katey Sagal!!! Martha Plimpton!!! Busy Phillips!!! These are total wins for me! :)

25. ell says:

YAY Community! Disappointed Alison’s not up there in the supporting category, but hurray for Joel snagging a lead nomination. :)

26. shay says:

Ingmar, It’s Courteney COX ;)& agree with Jay

I’m happy for Busy too, so so happy for Courteney
    but I’m disappointed because Cougar Town (most underrated show) isn’t on the list

27. fiona says:

jeff probst wasn’t nominated? Shocking!

On another note: glad Cat is =) she’s adorable

28. Carol says:

I’m so glad that fringe is finally get some recognition that it deserves! I hope one of them win :)

29. Aurore says:

Whoa!
    Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Justified, The Killing, Mad Men.
    That’s a tough choice.

30. LA says:

Finally, some new blood! Hugh Laurie, as great as he is, just doesn’t have the material to deserve a nomination these days.

31. mgbhighlander says:

Put up a poll and let US vote! See how our choices stack up against the official results when they’re announced. Congrats to Justified, Game of Thrones, and John Noble (personal favorites).

32. Laura says:

Now this is a ballot of well deserved names. I love seeing Kyle, Connie, Timothy, Margo, Walton, Amy & Nick, Joel, Mireille, Anna/John, Joel. I love seeing the casts of Community, Justified, FNL, Cougar Town, Fringe and P&R among the nominees. If only the Emmy’s would follow suit.

33. Watt Defark says:

Jeebus, Jim Parsons AGAIN?

And The Office?

34. João Amaral says:

Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage. That’s all.

35. Justin says:

Definitely agree with the nominations for Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, Fringe and Cougartown. I also like the noms for Nick Offerman, Busy Phillips, Anna Torv, and John Noble.

36. josh says:

Big Love and Sons of Anarchy were the two best shows on tv this past season, and neither gets a Best Drama nod??

37. Cathy F says:

Soooo happy for Michael Pitt in Boardwalk Empire, he is so great as Jimmy Darmody.

38. HST says:

I’m disappointed that Emmy Rossum got snubbed for best actress in a dram for shameless. She was perfect on the show and I definitely deserved the nomination. Oh well, fingers crossed for an Emmy nod.

39. Marci says:

It’s so nice to see Patricia Heaton and Eden Sher recognized for their performances in “The Middle,” which to me is much funnier, and more relatable, than “Modern Family.”

I still watch old episodes of “Everybody Loves Raymond,” and never think of the screaming meanie, ego-busting shrew, Ms. Heaton played on that show while I’m watching her Frankie in “The Middle.” She’s created a completely different persona, the mark of a great actress.

And Eden Sher’s Sue speaks for so many adolescent girls trying to find their way through the difficult teen years. She’s much more relatable to me than the Dunphy girls on “Modern Family.”

40. frustratedjoshpeterfan says:

Oh so john and Anna get awarded for how WONDERFUL the writers treat them while josh gets treated like crap? Screw you fringe, I am done with you.

41. RobertT says:

In my opinion Noble, Pudi, Torv and Charlie Day should all win. I agree, Peter Dinklage deserves recognition. Remember, a Lannister always pays his debts.

42. Amy says:

There are a few quibbles I have (where’s Jesse Tyler Ferguson?), but if the Emmy nods looked like this, I’d be thrilled. Especially glad Anna Torv’s getting some well-deserved love.

43. Renee says:

OK I found this list unusually pleasing. Shocking.

FNL, Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler
    Justified, Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins
    Cat Deeley

I actually think the drama section is superb.

44. Will says:

Where was Hawaii Five-0?!? They did a great job on the reboot.

45. TJ S. says:

Overall I like the noms, although I feel this will NOT be a precursor for the Emmys. A lot of the noms (Raising Hope, The Middle, Community, Cougar Town, Fringe) will not carry over. And what’s with the Survivor snub? It deserved nominations in both Best Reality Competition and especially Best Host (Jeff Probst is undefeated at the Emmys and is a quality host). But I love the attention Parks and Recreation got, and I love The Good Wife and Boardwalk Empire. They are the best dramas on TV.

46. GW says:

Finally John Noble!! Nobody deserves it more than him! And I’m happy for Olivia, though I don’t think she deserves to win! One other actress who totally deserves an award is Stana Katic!! Were the critics even watching Castle this season? She was amazing and they’ve totally ignored her!!
    And so happy for Michael. C. Hall & Dexter. I love Dexter!

47. flutiefan says:

love most of these, just bummed Parenthood isn’t in there!
    otherwise, so nice to see some overlooked shows/actors finally getting a shot.

48. jo slattery says:

Hurray for Eden Shur. One of the best comic actresses on TV regardless of age. Great that she gets recognized.

49. leah says:

SOOOOO glad someone from southland FINALLY got recognized!! Shawn Hatosy rocks! So much talent playing a variety of characters. The whole show deserves a best drama nod…if u haven’t seen it, watch it!!

50. t says:

I am thrilled for Shawn Hatosy but sad that “Southland” didn’t make it in for Best Drama. It is hands down, the best dramatic show on TV. Also very happy for all of the “Community” love. Wished Donald Glover would’ve gotten a Supporting Actor nod but I love that Danny Pudi was recognized.