Katie Couric Signs Deal With ABC for Daytime Talker - Is GH Headed for the Morgue?

Good news for Katie Couric could turn out to be not-so-good news for fans of General Hospital.

Following much speculation, the Disney/ABC Television Group announced on Monday that the former CBS Evening News anchor, “award-winning journalist, best-selling author and popular TV personality” has inked a multi-year, multi-platform agreement to host and produce her own nationally syndicated talk show and to join the ABC News team.

Days of Our Lives Shake-Up: Supercouple Returns, Two Vets Out!

Couric’s involvement with ABC News will start this summer, while her daytime talker isn’t set to premiere until September 2012 — giving ABC some time to assess its increasingly in-flux daytime lineup.

How grim is the prognosis for GH? As of right now, the ABC-owned stations in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh/Durham and Fresno — representing nearly a quarter of the nation’s TV households — have cleared Couric’s show to air in the 3 pm time slot aka General Hospital territory for many of us.

Although ABC is set to return the final hour of its daytime network block to affiliates no earlier than September 2012, the company says in its press release that it “continues to support General Hospital” as well as its recently announced plans to launch The Chew (in September) and The Revolution (in January 2012) — the two lifestyle shows that will displace ABC’s other two soaps, All My Children and One Life to Live.

General Hospital Nabs New Headwriter: Mob Ties Severed?

What’s your diagnosis, GH fans? Are you prepared to call time of death for “summer 2012″?

1. Sharyl says:

Please do not take GH off the air, Katie Couric belongs on a morning talk show just like she used to be. Save GH PLEASE!!!!

2. Wendy L. says:

I dont watch ABC, I watch GH. I would watch it regardless of the network, which means that if GH goes, I’ll have no ties to ABC. And it sucks that they think there are really that many people who will watch whatever they produce regardless of what it is. You’re not ‘changing the lineup’ ABC, that would be something like moving GH an hour ahead, or changing to half hour format. Instead you are completely taking away veteran shows and replacing them with drivel. No where NEAR an even trade in my opinion.

3. maggie says:

I have no problem watching Couric. It’s “The Chew” and “The Revolution” that I have no desire to watch. They’re both the kind of cheap shows that are all over cable. I can watch that kind of show anytime I turn on my TV. Why does a major network want to take away something only they do to put on copies of cable shows?

4. Bob says:

The networks are all bottom line now. The corporate greed/philosophy has permeated to all levels. Whatever can be made fast and cheap is what they’ll put on now. Look at how GE ruined NBC before dumping it on Comcast. No surprise Comcast is in the middle of a huge purge at that network. Goodbye, GH, it was fun while it lasted.

5. demented says:

I’d gladly watch soaps instead of reality TV and dull celebrity talk shows.

6. Erika K says:

When TV was first invented and sitcoms and soap operas were born they were meant to get people out of reality. To help people for an hour forget the war and how bad life was. To me that is what TV should still do, I love sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family and have been a fan of GH since before I was born. Soap operas are so extreme, most people don’t live like that but that’s why it’s fun to watch. ABC is doing a diservice to people by pulling fiction and replacing it with reality. We need fiction and humor in our lives.

7. Stephanie says:

ABC, I promise you that this is a move you’ll regret. I’ve been watching GH for 31 years. I don’t watch anything else on ABC. Talk shows are boring. Dr Oz is boring, and shows about food are definitely boring. You definitely do not have your finger on the pulse of what your viewers enjoy watching. You better listen though! I’ll watch GH as long as it is on, but once you pull the plug on it I’ll be done with you, for good. I could careless about DWTS, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s, etc.

8. watchedsince1974 says:

Couric better give thought as to what time slot she is taking over b/c daytime watchers will remain loyal to GH and it’s actors. She will be alienating herself from a large demographic, not to mention the same will happen to ABC. Product advertisement on ABC will also take a hit!

9. MP says:

Your comments are true but there is one thing Katie Couric is not taking 3:00 timeslot Dr.Oz is taking Oprah’s place at 3:00 in the afternoon they are still keeping GH at 2:00 i am with you about daytime soaps i am fan of daytime soap for 2 to 3 years i am still watching it. ABC like it or not Dr. Oz is going to be on 3:00 in the fall this year.

10. Pat says:

Gone but not forgotten! GH will go the route of OLTL and AMC. I am so sad to think of afternoons without GH. Couric and all these cooking shows will fail as they always do, and where does that leave the Soap viewers? With nothing, because our soaps will be gone. GH will be on the air almost 50 years! Do you think Katie Couric will last that long? I sure hope GH leaves with a bang. It deserves the very best send off. Lots of kleenex that day. We can only hope ABC finds a way to keep GH on the air. Hope, that is all he have.

11. medileen says:

Hello Dear, are you in fact visiting this web page regularly, if so afterward
    you will definitely take good know-how.

12. Incredible! This blog looks just like my old one!
    It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same
    page layout and design. Excellent choice of
    colors!