Josh Duhamel Set for All My Children Encore - But How Will Leo Return?!

For those All My Children fans who believe Ryan Lavery is Greenlee Smythe‘s soulmate, I’ve got two(ish) words for you: Leo du Pres. And praise the ever-decreasing soap gods, because Josh Duhamel will reprise his Emmy-winning role on the soon-to-be-gone ABC sudser this summer.

The Las Vegas alum and Transformers franchise star is set to return to Pine Valley as the loveable con-man for an episode (or maybe two, says EW.com, who first reported the story) in August, before AMC‘s very final bow this September.

Duhamel was last seen in PV in November 2002 when Leo seemingly plunged to his death over a waterfall during an attempt to save his then-wife Greenlee (fan fave spitfire Rebecca Budig) from his crazed mom Vanessa (Marj Dusay). Of course, Leo’s body was never recovered, and in the land of soaps — and especially AMC, when bodies of water are involved — that means a miraculous revival is always just around the corner. (See Jesse Hubbard, Dixie Martin, Maria Santos, Tad Martin….)

Now that we can officially confirm Duhamel’s encore, the question that still looms is: How?! Unfortunately, a one- or two-episode arc doesn’t afford time to flesh out the who/what/where/when/how — even more so when AMC itself is on borrowed time — so Leo’s appearance must be simple and to the point. One likely scenario is that poor Greenlee is (once again) at death’s door, and her dearly departed true love (sorry, Ryan) shows up to usher her into the afterlife. That, though, would mean that AMC ends with the Fusion co-founder’s death, and I don’t like that one bit.

Another viable option would find that Ryan and Greenee’s already rocky (faux) marriage is kaput and Leo — alive and kickin’! — returns to whisk his “widow” away into the sunset. But that would mean that Greenlee would miss AMC‘s big finale, and we can’t have that, now can we?

Leo could return in a vision to help guide his devious older brother David to a scheme-free happy ending. But Greenlee is nowhere in sight in this option, and if Leo returns and doesn’t somehow interact with his lovely lady, I’m rioting.

Now it’s your turn to tell us how you think Leo should return to Pine Valley:

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Daytime TV, News, Polls

1. Thom says:

I think that David has him held up some place like he did Greenlee and he is going to bring him back, let’s hope with Nessa and he and Greenlee get back together as they should.

2. Beth says:

I’m totally with you that Ryan’s soulmate was Gillian & Greenlee’s souldmate was Leo. I’ve never liked Ryan & Greenlee together because they bring out the worst in each other. I have no idea what Lorraine Brodrick& Agnes Nixon have up their sleeve for Leo’s short return, but I’m really looking forward to it!

• canacetx says:

“Ryan’s soulmate was Gillian & Greenlee’s souldmate was Leo. I’ve never liked Ryan & Greenlee together because they bring out the worst in each other.”

ummm….you do realize that these people aren’t real, right?

• Marie says:

Are you proud of yourself for that snarky remark “canacetx?” Why don’t you go and pat yourself on the back now because you are just soooo clever. Troll.

3. Mellisa says:

I need them to ride into the sunset

4. Leo&Greens 4eva!! says:

Definitely riding off into the sunset. Ryan is a self-righteous as and sucks the life and fun out of Greenlee when she is with him.

5. Liz says:

Leo needs to end up with Greenlee and to live happily ever after. I only wish Gillian could come back but she is really dead, they donated her heart. That would be one heck of a come back.

6. Justine says:

I haven’t watched All My Children regularly in years, but I totally let out a squeal when I saw this headline. LEO!!!

• MDEP says:

Me too!! I had started watching AMC when they first came on the show, loved them together.

• Amanda says:

Yes! When Leo died is around the time I basically stopped watching. I’ll be sure to check out his return even though I have no clue what’s going on in Pine Valley any more.

7. Jennifer says:

“And this one’s for you Ryan fans, just so he’s not left out in the cold with no love: Why doesn’t his soulmate Gillian (Esta TerBlanche) return to wrap up his storyline, as well?”

Thank you! Pairing Ryan and Greenlee just because Gillian and Leo were gone has never worked for me–and I absolutely loved both the couples. It’s unfortunately that Gillian’s death can’t be undone. Those scenes were heartbreaking and well-done but I hated/didn’t understand the decision to sacrifice one of the show’s best couples to save one of its worst characters.

One or two episodes seems way too short to tell this story properly, but however he comes back it needs to involve a Leo & Greenlee reunion. The only solace in this cancellation mess is that (it looks like) we’ll be getting (permanent) reunions for couples like Tad & Dixie and Zach & Kendall.

• Brenda says:

They can undo Gillian’s death, because Jesse met Gillian in heaven. His ghost was guiding her through the afterlife. But, AMC managed to completely ignore that fact and bring Jesse back. So, there’s no reason they couldn’t bring back Gillian to life.

• Sara says:

I so agree. Gillians heart saved one of the worst AMC characters.

8. Dan says:

Bring back Gillian along with him… and that’ll make it all the more sweeter. :)

9. Krissy says:

LEOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I am so happy he’s coming back. I hope he and Greenlee get the happiness they always deserved. And I’m with you, BRING BACK GILLIAN! Or at least show her in heaven again & have her appear to Ryan. I always wanted to ride on that swing…

10. Eric says:

Greenlee and Leo reuniting would rock my world. Preferably alive, please.

11. Tavis says:

They can easily bring Leo back from the dead in 1 or 2 episodes. One Life to Live just did the same thing by bringing Patrick Thornhart back from the dead and having Marty reunite with her husband and ride off into the sunset.

Perhaps Greenlee will find out Leo is alive soon and the show will build up to her reuniting with Leo in the 1 or 2 episodes in which he appears. She finds out Leo is alive and then there’s a “Search for Leo” culminating in Greenlee finding him in his first episode and then leaving town with him in his second.

• Liligal says:

I like this scenario by Tavis; Greens finding out that Leo is “alive”, but doesn’t know where he is so she has to go searching for him. When she does finally find him, they get back together and live happily ever after! I can’t wait to see Josh & Rebecca in their first scene together. I’m sure their chemistry will STILL be off the charts! I just can’t imagine that Agnes Nixon would have Leo come back, but not end up with Greenlee. She did say that she would wrap things up in a way that would make AMC very happy. I take that as a good sign. Leo & Greenlee will be reunited–for good!!! :)

12. Crittle says:

I’ve given up on AMC, but I will watch now just to see Leo, well played ABC. Hopefully Leo will take Ryan out and he and Greenlee can ride off into the sunset

13. tazzy says:

Have I died? Is this heaven?

14. Josh Fan says:

I expected nothing less from Josh. Stand up guy who has always been grateful to and gracious about AMC. Love him!

15. Carrie says:

I’ve always thought that Greenlee should end up with Leo and Ryan should end up with Gillian. It would be awesome if Gillian also returned. I don’t like Greenlee or Ryan anymore because they are the worst couple. I don’t understand why they’re made out to be each other’s soul mate when they have absolutely no chemistry and most viewers seem to detest them together. I would also love to see Leo interact with his brother. I wouldn’t be surprised if David already knows he’s alive. He probably rescued Leo, Dixie and Zach and is keeping them all alive and hidden somewhere. :)

16. Ashley says:

As much as I want to see Leo and Greelee end up together, I’d feel cheated if Leo and David didn’t reconnect. I loved their relationship and how Leo humanized his big brother. Leo and Ryan were also friends, and I’d like to see them have one last moment too.

17. Leoforever says:

Leo better show up alive, even if it’s a cliffhanger.

18. Jeannine says:

I just hope somehow they manage to bring back Billy Clyde Tuggle for one more mustache twirl…. come on, you know you love him!

19. Katie says:

If they use Leo’s return to somehow prop up Greenlee and Ryan (ie. his ghost appears to her to tell her she and Ryan have his blessing, or some other nonsense) I will be pissed off. Why does AMC continuously try to force this turd of a relationship between Ryan and Greenlee.

The ONLY scenario that will make the fans happy is to have she and Leo ride off into the sunset together – I don’t care if it means Greenlee has to leave the show before the finale. Heck, she and Leo could move to Paris, and they could have Greens fly back to Pine Valley to visit for the last episode.

20. Jennie says:

I was just telling my mom that I totally thought that Leo should whisk Greenlee away and that Gillian should return to Ryan, only problem is she was stabbed, so there’s a body. But Dixie is coming back and there was a body there, so I’m sure Lorraine Broderick will find a way to make Leo’s return satisfying for all us fans.

21. Brenda says:

I looooooooved Ryan and Gillian. For me Gillian or “princess” as Ryan called her will always be his soulmate. I would be thrilled if Esta returned. Remember, when Gillian died JESSE, who’s now alive and kicking, welcomed her into the afterlife. If Jesse can come back to life so can Gillian. I’d love if Greenlee and Leo ended up together too. They were also made for each other.

22. Sara says:

Remember when Greenly went crazy? That was fun! The green butterfly returns, and develops a figment of her imagination Leo due to the stree of Madison and Ryans closeness. She rides off into the sunset with him, and then snaps out of it come back for the finally (and the on-line show if that really does happen)