Emmys '11 Reader Poll Recap: What's So Funny?

Week 1 of TVLine’s in-depth assessment of the 2011 Primetime Emmy Awards race is behind us, and thus far we have showed you the funny: Outstanding Comedy Series, and the major acting categories that go with it. Could this year’s list of nominees serve up any surprises? Well, based on the polling of who TVLine readers like within each contest, tried-and-true How I Met Your Mother, spy guy Chuck and relative newbie Community just might make some noise this season.

In the Outstanding Comedy Series category, TVLine readers offered up the expected suspects — Modern Family, Glee — as well as The Big Bang Theory, which after netting its first-ever Golden Globe nomination in January now is angling to factor into Emmy’s equation. You have also made it Chuck‘s next mission to nab a nod. Community handily made the cut, while How I Met Your Mother and Parks and Recreation have been grappling over the No. 6 spot. (CAST YOUR VOTES HERE)
TVLINE DREAM NOMINEES | Community, Cougar Town, Eastbound & Down, The Middle, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation

For Lead Actress, Chuck knockout Yvonne Strahovski’s supporters came out in full force, besting even the Glee displayed by Lea Michele fans. (The asterisk here: We’ve since learned that Strahovski is going for Supporting Actress. Chuck us.) Two other new faces you want to see eye the prize: Cougar Town‘s Courteney Cox and Big Bang Theory‘s Kaley Cuoco. (CAST YOUR VOTES HERE)
TVLINE DREAM NOMINEES | Courteney Cox (Cougar Town), Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Patricia Heaton (The Middle), Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope), Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)

For Lead Actor, you hope to see Chuck‘s own Zachary Levi battle the likes of Steve Carell, Alec Baldwin and Jim Parsons — and now would be the ideal time, since the NBC spy comedy’s shortened final season will only distance Levi’s work from Emmy’s consciousness next go-round. You’ve also got your hopes pinned on two other possible first-time entrants: Big Banger Johnny Galecki and Motherlover Josh Radnor. (CAST YOUR VOTES HERE)
TVLINE DREAM NOMINEES | Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Steve Carell (The Office), Louis C.K. (Louie), Danny McBride (Eastbound & Down), Joel McHale (Community), Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)

As for the Supporting categories, Glee fans helped Heather Morris get a leggy leg up on the competition, while Alison Brie (Community) and Alyson Hannigan (HIMYM) slipped into your Top 6 (CAST YOUR VOTES HERE). Among the funny fellas, you’re hoping to hear the names Danny Pudi (Community), Jason Segel (HIMYM) and/or Ed O’Neill (Modern Family) called on July 14. (CAST YOUR VOTES HERE)
TVLINE DREAM NOMINEES | Alison Brie (Community), Ellie Kemper (The Office), Busy Philipps (Cougar Town), Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation), Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory) and Sofia Vergara (Modern Family)…. Ty Burrell (Modern Family), Simon Helberg (The Big Bang Theory), Nick Offerman (Parks and Recreation), Ed O’Neill (Modern Family), Danny Pudi (Community) and Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother)

Still to come, as TVLine sizes up the 2011 Emmys: Our analysis of the Outstanding Reality Series race (on Tuesday), followed by the five major Drama categories.

1. Jared says:

I’m sorry, but where is Jane Lynch for GLEE and Edie Falco for NURSE JACKIE?!?!

• Mike says:

Well, if you don’t see them, then they didn’t pick them. You’re forgiven!

• Mike says:

but just for the record, they were both on their respective original lists for fans/readers to vote on them.

• Tariq says:

Sorry but Jane Lynch was not great this season, and i dare to say annoying at times. Nurse Jackie is a great actress but she is more on the Drama side. The Emmy Nominees this year should be only or mostly from these shows: MODERN FAMILY, THE BIG BANG THEORY, COMMUNITY, PARKS AND REC, and maybe 30 ROCK. People shouldn’t look at who says the funniest jokes but how they say it, cz we r not looking at the characters but the actors. Also Weeds lead actress and N. Patrick Harris should get nominated.

• Rachel says:

I agreed with everything you said up until you left out HIMYM – Zoe may have been annoying, but the season itself (from Marshall’s dad to the baby debacle and introducing Nora as possible competition for Barney’s actual heart) was really amazing. Everybody did a fabulous job. (But you’re right overall, Jane Lynch was just eh this go round, and the shows you mentioned definitely deserve more love!!)

• sadini says:

I agree, Jane Lynch is annoying. If anyone from Glee deserves a comedy award, it’s Naya Rivera.

• Yeah Yeah says:

Forget Edie Falco, Merritt Weaver (Zoey) brings the funny in every episode. She should definitely get a nomination!

• Natasha says:

Honestly, I’m glad that Jane didn’t make it. While she is an outstanding actress, others should be recognized. I think it’s great that Heather is being voted for and I’d also love to see Naya under supporting actress.

2. Sarah says:

I’m very happy to see Community getting some much deserved love (particularly Alison Brie and Danny Pudi). But where’s Donald Glover? He doesn’t seem to have made anyone’s lists, and frankly I’m shocked.

• Tariq says:

Same reaction exactly Glover was really great, and so proud of Community and Parks and Recreation. Finally getting the attention and praise they deserve.

3. Common sense says:

• Katie says:

Sorry, “Common sense,” I didn’t realize clicking “refresh” and voting again constituted as cheating. Maybe you should do the same for whomever you’re voting for, which, by the juvenile all-caps, I’d guess to be someone from Glee.

• silly cheating for a internet poll says:

sorry but Yvonne fans cheated she went from less than 8% to over 15% in a couple of hours just wasn’t possible.

Sad really. Matt M from this site even talked about voet -bot on tweeter.

• AmazingSense says:

yvonne for supporting??? are you kidding???
      sure you’re NEVER watched the show…..
      and just stop say that chuck fans are cheating,
      it’s only love for this AMAZING actress,
      simply the best i’ve ever seen on TV, really!

• Common sense says:

Are you illiterate? ” (The asterisk here: We’ve since learned that Strahovski is going for Supporting Actress. Chuck us.) “… they said she submitted herself as supporting actress. I don’t watch the show I’m not her to judge her, from what I hear she is fantastic, but she submitted herself as supporting, which I have no doubt she should pick up a nom. Calm down, I mean no disrespect to her as an actress.

• What? says:

Amazing, were you attempting to write a badly phrased poem? I will write a badly phrased poem to respond.

I watch Chuck all time,
        indeed I do, indeed.
        But I did not vote for Yvonne,
        no, no, I did not because….
        she’s not that good!
        Cheating. Uncool.
        Long live Amy Poehler and Julie Bowen.

• Why? says:

Actually she’s always been fine as the cool agent chick, but this last season she kicked it up several notches in pretty much every way that matters.

She still has about as much chance at getting award recognition as I do for taking out the trash on Tuesday night, but she’s good, damn good.

4. Chmarin says:

What’s up with all the Eastbound & Down love? It’s not THAT good.

5. Amy says:

and STEVE CARELL! that is all.

6. sasha says:

Hope Courteney Cox get an nomination because she’s funny, talended, underrated and she deserves it so much

And happy to see Cougar Town, this show is so underrated

7. XK says:

As with all of these polls (see eonline and ew.com), they quickly just become a matter of which tv show’s fanbase decides to mobilize and revote as many times as possible.

• Ryan says:

Basically, nothing about Glee this season was worthy of a nomination of any kinds. Worst follow up to possibly one of the best first seasons ever.

8. Amanda says:

I don’t understand the votes for Kaley Cuoco. I like her just fine, but she is not award worthy yet. I see her nearly break almost every episode. And is she considered lead actress simply because she’s the “main” female on the show? She’s a supporting character IMO. This season we’ve seen way more Bernadette and Amy than Kaley, and this is after she healed from her broken leg.

Plimpton, Heaton, and Cox are my faves. I don’t watch P&R or 30 Rock, so I can’t comment on Amy and Tina although they have always been great in everything else.

• Tra says:

I agree! I love BBT and I like her/Penny, but Penny’s honestly not that difficult or unusual of a part to play. Characters like Sheldon, Amy, or even Bernadette are much more out-there and risky. Kaley is a good actress, but I agree that she hasn’t done any Emmy worthy stuff yet. The writers haven’t even given her any.

9. Alex says:

I still don’t understand how you didn’t put NAYA RIVERA on the ballot. I think Glee is a mess, but there’s no denying she is the MVP of that silly little show. She makes me actually care!

• Kit says:

Lea Michele always brings it but they give her nothing to work with. Her Lea sing a song in lieu of us actually writing you a decent storyline.

10. Kristina says:

I hope you put some Southland options for the Drama categories. My vote is for anyone involved with Southland and Fringe. Looking forward to the Drama polls!

11. Amy says:

Come on people! How can Parks and Rec only be tied for the 6th spot??? It is the best comedy on TV right now!

12. Alex says:

Really feeling the love for The Big Bang Theory supporting cast! It would be absolutely FANTASTIC to see Melissa Rauch score a nomination, I absolutely adored her as Bernadette this year.

13. Buffy Freak says:

If Chuck had as many viewers as it did votes in these polls it probably wouldn’t be on the verge of being canceled every year.

14. tara says:

I’d love to see Melissa Rauch and Simon Helberg get nominated. Kunal Nayyar too, but he’s not on that list. I think of the Big Bang-ers, Mayim Bialik is most likely to get a Supporting Actor/Actress nod. Her performance really is outstanding. Very surprised to see she’s not on the list.

15. Rachel says:

I really hope BBT and HIMYM start getting more attention – Jim Parsons and NPH are amazing, don’t get me wrong, but they’re on great shows with a whole bunch of other amazing people. I cannot understand why Alyson Hannigan has never been nominated for an Emmy. That’s just crazy.

16. justin says:

JANE KRAKOWSKI! Every line that comes out of her mouth is hilarious… even if it is just exposition… I’m sorry but that takes alot more talent than ‘look at me, i play myself and don’t even do a convincing job of it’-tina fey… she’s the only thing keeping that show alive. everyone else has become so stiff… except tracey morgan… who isn’t stiff… he just shouldn’t exist

17. rob says:

Very happy to see East Bound and Down getting in there. Also think Ty Burrell is stellar along with Melissa Rauch, who is a really great actress. I’d like to see jason segel bring a nom home too.

18. robby says:

Happy to see East Bound and Down getting in there. Also think Ty Burrell is stellar along with Melissa Rauch, who is a really great actress. I’d like to see jason segel bring a nom home too.

19. Alana says:

Reading these comments makes me sad at how nasty some people can be. I mean really, it’s only a poll and it isn’t any reflection on who will actually win. If you don’t have anything nice to say maybe it shouldn’t be said at all. Respect should be shown to all of the shows, every person involved works hard at their job. And just because you don’t like the outcome of the poll or the show in general, doesn’t mean it should be given any less respect.

20. NotImportant says:

Seriously Chuck fans, just because you’re too busy not getting laid doesn’t mean you need to waste your time screwing with every gd television poll out there. Get a life.

21. Person says:

Glee is hilarious and heather Morris deserves a nomination so does Lea Michele they r so funny

22. supergeek says:

I’m sorry, but how did Naya Rivera not make this list? Jane Lynch, as funny as she may be, was completely wasted this season on Glee, and while Heather Morris had her moments, no one shined as brightly (or was as funny) as Naya/Santana this past season. Honestly, she was the show’s saving grace in my honest opinion.

23. community fan says:

Really hope community gets nominated as it’s a great show but totally agree with some other comments that is shocking that donald glover doesn’t seem to have made anyone’s list, as troy has been consistently funny through out the 2 seasons especially in ‘intermediate doc filmmaking’, stand outs this season have been donald glover, danny pudi, alison brie, and joel mchale. Also think ‘abeds uncontrollable christmas’ should get award as it was by far the best episode of the season. Also think jason segal and alison hannigan are always funny in himym and think they should both be nominated. Don’t see what all the fuss is about glee can’t believe it’s getting more votes than actual comedys like community, raising hope, himym and modern family.

24. brittles says:

Yo, Gillian Jacobs is what’s up.