Fall TV Preview

90210 Exclusive: Trevor Donovan Poised to Exit

Another 90210 resident is heading for the hills.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Trevor Donovan — whose heretofore-closeted alter ego Teddy was at the center of a high profile coming out storyline last season — will not be returning to The CW soap as a series regular for Season 4.

Fans, however, have not seen the last of Teddy.

Although a spokesperson for the show declined to comment, a 90210 insider says Donovan will appear as a guest star in roughly five episodes this fall.

“I look back on getting this real-life story line as a blessing,” Donovan told TVLine in a statement. “To be able to simultaneously take on a challenging role and bring awareness to a relevant social issue was a win-win for me. I’m looking forward to what opportunities and adventures lie ahead.”

News of Donovan’s looming departure comes as 90210 undergoes a period of transition — both on screen and off. Season 4 will find much of the West Bev crew moving on to college — a rite of passage that triggered the exits of the show’s two remaining adult characters, Lori Loughlin and Ryan Eggold. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Life Unexpected scribes Patti Carr and Lara Olsen have taken over as co-showrunners, replacing Rebecca Sinclair.

Thoughts? Shocked? Saddened? Indifferent? Did you see the writing on the wall? Weigh in below.

Comments (98)

• Trevor was the best guy on the show, had the most personality in interviews about his character and is fun on twitter, and we can’t forget looking at him. HOTTIE. I wish him the best and will watch him on the next show or movie he is in.

Comment by Daily Reader – June 6, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He may have been the most unbelievable teenager ever cast on a television show. I mean did anyone ever believe he was in highschool. He looked about 27. He was worse then Luke Perry and Gabrielle Carteris and that’s saying a lot!!!

Comment by Jason S – June 6, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this free’s up another hour of tv watching for me. I only watched the show for his storyline and to see him and Liam shirtless. Guess I will get my eye candy elsewhere.

Comment by Ron – June 6, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I’m out. He was the only reason i watched this season. I’m not surprised – the poster that CW gave out didnt have him on.

Comment by Jo – June 7, 2011 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re allready going up against Glee, and now the producers decide to annoy the gay viewers by taking away the one one homosexual male character on the show. When there are so many characters with no personality (Annie, Liam, Dixon, Ivy) or bat-poop crazy storylines (Adrienna) why get rid of one of the most entertaining characters? Did these new producers ever watch the show?

Comment by Rhuw Morgan – June 7, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad, I was looking forward to more Teddy/Marco story, which progressed at such a snail’s pace this year, it was ridiculous. The blame for Trevor’s casting has to go on the prior regime, however, which thought a 31-year-old could pass for 17. It was implausible.

I totally disagree with those who don’t like Adrianna. She’s the villain everyone loves to hate, and is essential to this show. Every show needs a conniving backstabber, and Jessica Lowndes plays it to perfection. She’s the very best thing about 90210, and has been since Day 1.

Comment by Jason – June 7, 2011 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so now they don’t have to waste their time to cast a new gay character for teddy everytime his partner decided to leave the show. ;p

Comment by cool_baby – June 7, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW?! The only reason I watched was cuz of him (n his abs)…

Comment by MadMax – June 7, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t normally comment much on here… but I always read. This news made me want to post. Once I start watching a show I watch it till the end. I am afraid to say it… but this news has made me deicde to stop watching 90210. I am heart broken… Teddy was the star of last season.

Comment by Heather – June 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with Heather. Donzo. But I’ll watch Trevor read the
      phone book on TV if it was airing.

Comment by Jean – June 7, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they “getting rid of” a gay character or is he getting rid of himself by choosing to move on instead of continuing to play a teenager (now 18 or 19) when he is in his 30′s?

Comment by Len – June 7, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they really handing the show over to people who’s show got cancelled in it’s first season? I hate to say this but I’d rather have Rebecca Sinclair come back :(

Comment by Greg – June 7, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is some sad news but not that unexpected to be honest. I loathed Teddy during season 2 and wished and wished that he would be axed. However his gay storyline was along with Naomi’s rape the most interesting part of season 3 to me, and I would’ve loved him to stay. I’m actually really sad he was let go instead of Adrianna and Liam even. But I am glad that he’ll be guest starring so hopefully they can give this character a closure and not just act like he didn’t exist.

Comment by Sam – June 7, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sad

Comment by yygg – June 7, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s bull crap. Trevor Donovan was a gay role model. He was a just a normal athletic guy, no stereo type involved and it worked. It wasn’t offensive to the straights and the gays fell in love with him. I’m so done with this horrible program. Off season pass —– now

Comment by Ella – June 8, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Wasn’t the biggest fan of the character and the storyline they had for him this year was boring and drawn out. Not saying I’m excited to see Teddy go but it won’t bother me, either.

Comment by Daniel Armour – June 11, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They shouldve gone the Noah and Luke way with Teddy and Marco. Noah and Luke really steamed up the screen on ATWT ! Now that Brothers and Sisters has been cancelled there wont even be a Scotty and Kevin to love and no Teddy and Marco. Heads-up: Theirs a major male character in Days of Our Lives coming out sometime and (Freddy Smith – Marco from 90210) is set to be the love interest of this teen character !

Comment by Brad Summers – June 13, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • annie,liam,annie,liam,annie,liam: please don’t destroy my favorite couple!!! please!!!! I hate jane:(

Comment by Lannie90210 – June 20, 2011 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Screw this lame gaudy show. I’m done with it as soon as Trevors episodes are up. The writers have NO imagination.

Comment by paul and paula – July 12, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think that trevor donovan was gonna go anyway, and people judge the show so much, saying that it’s nothing like the old one, people who are watching it only cause the old one. Well, this isn’t a continuation for the old show, it’s a new show, with new storylines and new characters.
    an all the people who judge and hate adrianna so much, her character really shows what it’s really like to be a teenager and have friends, and screw up and fight with them, i think the show just wouldn’t be the same without her. :)

Comment by Christopher – July 15, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree there is still so much hatrid towards big gay men storylines on tv that most of the population of young people watch to help them come into their own and they pull the plug on them when people come to love the characters and want to see them last. One life to live pulled plug on gay storyline at peak of it which we come to love kyle and fish now let’s hope Days of our lives go further than all the rest with their gay storyline!!

Comment by DeAndre – July 19, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished season three and saw this news here. Devastating. Definitely saving myself an hour a week after the 5 remaining episodes with him. He is the essence of the show and true – one of the only two characters with spirits: Ted and Adrianna.

Comment by Ewan – September 20, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • making us all fall in love with him in season 3 when it was revealed he’s gay and then dropping him off like that was a really horrendous move :/

Comment by Gheena – October 10, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh c’mon….. Even I like Naomi Clark but get rid of the character that already exist when I first tune it the show (season 3) it’s the lamest thing to do. Sorry but it’s feels different when I start to watch season 4. Everybody ha their part you know. Too bad too bad

Comment by Jay – October 11, 2011 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh c’mon….. Even I like Naomi Clark but get rid of the character that already exist when I first tune in the show (season 3) it’s the lamest thing to do. Sorry but it’s feels different when I start to watch season 4. Everybody has their part you know. Too bad too bad

Comment by Jay – October 11, 2011 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ted was mi fav charater I can’t believe they got rid of him :|

Comment by lucki star – December 7, 2011 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just couldn’t go away your site prior to suggesting that
    I actually enjoyed the standard info a person provide to your guests?
    Is going to be again frequently to check out new posts

Comment by video modeling visual schedules special needs apps life skills special education special needs adults – January 13, 2014 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post