Exclusive

90210 Exclusive: Trevor Donovan Poised to Exit

Another 90210 resident is heading for the hills.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Trevor Donovan — whose heretofore-closeted alter ego Teddy was at the center of a high profile coming out storyline last season — will not be returning to The CW soap as a series regular for Season 4.

Fans, however, have not seen the last of Teddy.

Although a spokesperson for the show declined to comment, a 90210 insider says Donovan will appear as a guest star in roughly five episodes this fall.

“I look back on getting this real-life story line as a blessing,” Donovan told TVLine in a statement. “To be able to simultaneously take on a challenging role and bring awareness to a relevant social issue was a win-win for me. I’m looking forward to what opportunities and adventures lie ahead.”

News of Donovan’s looming departure comes as 90210 undergoes a period of transition — both on screen and off. Season 4 will find much of the West Bev crew moving on to college — a rite of passage that triggered the exits of the show’s two remaining adult characters, Lori Loughlin and Ryan Eggold. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Life Unexpected scribes Patti Carr and Lara Olsen have taken over as co-showrunners, replacing Rebecca Sinclair.

Thoughts? Shocked? Saddened? Indifferent? Did you see the writing on the wall? Weigh in below.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Stevie P says:

Teedy is one the best characters on this show… Can’t believe they made him gay and then got rid of him.

You’ll be missed lad.

• Captain says:

Making him gay was the best thing that happened to his useless character. It gave him purpose and made him far more likable.

• Dirk says:

If they had done this at the end of season 2, this would be no big deal (except that I would miss him being shirtless, of course). But now that he’s become relevant and is showing as much depth for a character as the 90210 writers will ever allow, this is terrible.

Couldn’t they just get rid of Adrianna instead? That bitch really should’ve died in season 1 when she ODed on drugs. She was much more valuable when she was an Abby Morgan type of character. When the show returned with its back 9 that season, I was so pissed when she lived. Now, I think that she can’t possibly go further downhill, and yet, she continues to do so.

• Tory says:

Ok, get rid of Teddy (with the one real-life story) but they keep Adrianna and her BS of a character. WTF!

2. Stefan says:

wow, him and his storyline were one of the only reasons I kept watching.

• David says:

Same here, I only watched for his storyline. This is what everyone feared would happen when they gave him the coming-out storyline. I mean this was the most relevant element of the show, no need to watch now.

• ChrisGa says:

I’m with you; I tuned in to the first season for the nostalgia factor(Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty reuniting, et al) then quickly tuned out once I realized that a lot of the newbies weren’t very interesting(though i still enjoy AnnaLynne McCord’s Naomi). I tuned back in this season primarily because of the Teddy storyline, which took up a couple or three GOOD episodes but still could have been better fleshed out throughout the season. Now with TD essentially getting axed and TPTB insisting on NOT killing off Adrianna(one of the most useless, un-rootable characters in all of primetime) I think I’m now good to go and invest that hour of TV elsewhere.

3. trev says:

To bad… The only good thing about this show is leaving.

4. Andrea says:

WHAT? Oh c’mon, that’s not fair, he was one of my faves! I honestly enjoy Teddy’s storyline last season (well, more than Adrianna’s, that’s for sure). Shame!

5. Terry says:

This is a joke. Typical getting rid of the gay character. Teddy’s storyline was fantastic this season.

6. Without Trev, I’m done with 90210. He (gay or straight) was the only reason I was tuning in.

7. Jean says:

Very saddened. He was the only reason I watched this piece of crap show. I give this train wreck one more season. I will watch
    Trevor on whatever show he’s on.

8. Sammy says:

sounds like the new show runners dont want any gay stuff. (achem homophobes achem)

great job new writers. thanks for taking away the only interesting character/storyline from the show.

• Adam Humphreys says:

Just co’s Trev’s going doesn’t mean we’ve seen the last of a good gay character, they might bring in another one next series, or a bisexual one. And you never know they might bring him back as a regular within a couple of series time.

9. Silent Majority says:

A big FU to the new showrunners!!!! I’m so done with this show.
    Its very clear gay characters get the back hand on this network
    and show. Trevor FTW!!!! we love you Trevor!!!

10. M says:

After this last season he’s one of the most well-developed and sympathetic characters on the show. How could they possibly dump him and keep dull characters like Annie and Liam instead?

• LG says:

I don’t see Liam as a dull character, I think it’s more underdeveloped. It’s like the writers know Matt is popular on the show and can’t figure out what to do with him. All of the writing has been all over the place, but especially the writing of Liam’s character.

11. ggny says:

he had a great story this past season but really where else did his story have to go? good move by the showrunners focus on the core characters

12. Steve says:

Wow, way to ruin one of the best things about this show. I can’t really seem to care about this show at all anymore.

13. Kara says:

This show has become such a train wreck. First the nutso cousin trying to steal Annie’s life and then Adrianna (not even sure what was worse – stealing the dead guys song or seeking revenge on Silver). Hopefully, the new show runners will rethink the whole show – except for Naomi and Max who are tons of fun. (Please, oh please let that whole pregnancy be some sort of prank)

• Melokesm says:

Agreed on your comments especially about Naomi and Max. I keep hoping it will be a false alarm. My fear is that it will be Naomi lying.

14. Margo says:

Not really shocked at this at all. When it was announced that Freddie Smith, Trevor’s onscreen love interest, was hired by Days of Our Lives a month ago, I felt there was going to be a shakeup with Trevor’s character. The decision must had been made some time ago to release his character and we are just hearing about it. Too bad -I really liked Teddy and Marco together.

15. Jamie says:

His storylines pretty much done. I’m fine with this.

• Heather says:

Agreed. His storyline was good this season, but other than that he has been pretty bland. There’s not much else to do with him.

• dalia says:

i disagree. they could have done a lot more with his storyline. sure, all his friends know…but what about his family? his movie star dad, how would he feel about having a gay son?

16. Ingmar says:

Sad news, I liked his SL. It was real, and now they just throw it away. Guess they just want straight kids going to college. Bad decision…

17. Nanu says:

I don’t really care!

18. Sarah says:

Saddest thing ever :'( Teddy was one of my fav character on the show

19. gam says:

I called this as soon as they announced plans to “out” his character last year. Really unfortunate.

Honestly, this show has been SUCH a mess since it started. They bring back Kelly & Donna and make them unhappy (Donna and David having marital problems? Kelly and Dylan had a kid but broke up??) with no resolution to either of those stories.

Also, how many times are they going to do the whole “Adrianna wants to be a normal teen/wants to be a singer/wants to be a normal teen/wants to be a singer” storyline?? OR the whole “Adrianna is good/Adrianna uses drugs and becomes a bitch/Adrianna is good again” storyline?

20. Richard says:

Another show to remove from my TiVo’s Season Pass list.

21. Lisa says:

I think this season I won’t be watching. Getting rid of a character who has related to tons of actual people is a stupid move! Yup. So over 90210.

22. John Q Public says:

90210 sucks! Trevor was a ray of light on that dreary show. I now have 1 less show to worry about recording. 90210 is off the
    list as soon as @TrevDon is off it.

23. tvaddict says:

I won’t be tuning in after he leaves. He was one of my favorites and they really wasted him last season. He was in like 2 minutes every episode.

24. East Coaster says:

Best move for Trevor Donovan was to leave this show, to be
    honest, hardly anyone watches it and I only watched for Trevor.

25. GLEEK says:

PLEASE GO ONTO GLEE TREVOR!!! TREVOR DONOVAN HAS GOT TO BE ON GLEE HE CAN SING VERY WELL. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrevorDonovan?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/10/nWv7Wnx9-g8

26. Captain says:

I didn’t think I would be but I’m actually very saddened by this. I hated his character in Season 2 but his gay storylien made him much more likable and I actually began to look forward to his scenes. It figures now he’s gone. Atleast he’ll be back for a bit this season. But really, if they were going to get rid of someone, why not Ivy? She has no purpose anymore.

• Jake says:

my guess is that with Ivy getting married with Raj and I think they said she wasnt going to College and was going to continue Surfing, she will probably come back for a couple episodes then be written off.

27. Sam says:

I’m watching the first two seasons just to get to his storyline! DAMMIT!

• ggny says:

you dont have to watch the first two season to get his storyline because he isnt in the first two seasons

28. Bethany says:

I’m a trevor donovan fan not a 90210 fan. he made me feel it
    was ok to be me and played that role proudly. he won my respect

29. Brock says:

Lame decision of behalf of the writers. I loved his role and what he brought to the show.

30. Sarah says:

I liked Teddy… That’s a bummer!

31. anonymous says:

I wonder whether or not this was his decision? A lot of people seemed to warm up to him this past season, it would be a shame if the writers decided to get rid of him.

32. anonymous says:

” They bring back Kelly & Donna and make them unhappy (Donna and David having marital problems? Kelly and Dylan had a kid but broke up??) with no resolution to either of those stories.”

They need to resolve those storylines before this show ends. When the show is mainly about the new kids just let the old 90210 characters be happy and don’t screw up their happy endings.

• jules says:

Maybe now that Rebecca Sinclair is gone. But I read that she made it pretty clear she did not want the show to be about the old characters. That’s why you didn’t see them at all this season. Personally, I think they took the original 90210 history, stomped on it, and then left it without any resolution. Turning Jackie Taylor back into a trainwreck (which she hadn’t been since Season 1 of the original show) and then killing her? Seriously?

33. Joe says:

The guy’s a 40 year old playing a 17 year old. That was a terrible casting decision from the start.

34. Jon says:

Not surprised. They rarely used him as it was. He was not even part of the group in the on-air promo shots. He was treated as a guest star anyway. I think his coming-out storyline was used to drum up press and bolster ratings and then… . Trevor Donavan deserves better.

35. Elle says:

Well this sucks even though the character was really underused he was great.I have a feeling that Ivy may be next up on the chopping block, I can’t see Annie,Naomi,Liam.Dixon,Navid or Silver going anyway but Adrianna might get axed *crosses fingers*.

36. Peigare says:

Yet another show I will not be watching next season. Teddy’s story was the only well written one on the show. I can’t help but wonder why they asked Trevor Donovan to stretch himself so much as an actor. He did an amazing job and now it’s as if he’s being punished for it.

• Jean says:

I agree. He showed he’s talented. Too talented for this show.
      Who ever gets him on their show will be very lucky indeed.
      Count me in as one fan who will watch whatever he’s on.

37. ggny says:

also with Teddy leaving im guessing we will see Max and Raj both become regulars(thats if they dont get rid of Ivy also)

38. TheReasonsY says:

This does not bode well for my future enjoyment of 90210. So Far Rebecca leaving as the show-runner put me on the fence and now this casting news is making me lean toward skipping the show altogether.

39. chastidy says:

Good riddance to crappy acting. He was looking way too old for the part anyways. Fingers crossed Mccord gets the boot too.

40. Charlotte says:

He had the best storyline on that show, and made it watchable for me this past season. Not sure if I’ll be watching the next season now.

41. Maidenhead UK says:

Gutted! This beautiful person needs to be on a TV or movie screen asap! 90210 is lame to the 10th power anyway. Trevor made it
    cool.

42. Scott says:

I never watched the first 2 seasons, but when I heard they were doing the Teddy storyline I watched season 3. That was the only interesting storyline so I guess I’m not watching season 4.

43. Angel says:

I started watching for the original 90210 connection. Once they cut ties with those characters, I cut ties with this show. However, the Teddy storyline did catch my interest and I tuned back in. But without Teddy, I won’t be watching this horrible show.

Sadly it’s obvious they never knew what to do with Teddy. The lack of screentime and the way they couldn’t keep his love interests on the show long enough to develop a relationship didn’t help either…

It’s disappointing that they are ditching the gay character and not one of their many insufferable straight characters. Plus I think Teddy was one of the only gay characters on the CW… the only other one I can think of is barely there Eric on Gossip Girl.

44. deedeedragons says:

Congrats 90210 you just made sure you’ll go to 4 seasons.

45. Concerned FAN says:

they get rid of the best character?!?!?!? No wonder this show is a joke. There is nothing of substance to keep me watching now.

46. Danny says:

Personally, I think getting rid of Teddy is a plus. How about another gay character that’s more three-dimensional? Anyway, he was way too old for the role — it was distracting. As long as Naomi is back, I’m there …

47. Alex says:

It’s a sad news. He was the only reason I’ve watched this crap. But let’s face it, he’s over 30 and he can’t manage to look like he’s 18 anymore.

48. Ross says:

I tuned in this past season for the first time to watch Teddy’s storyline unfold. With the character leaving, there’s nothing to keep me watching. Goodbye 90210!

49. Harry the Prince says:

Huge TREVOR DONOVAN FAN, so not watching 90210 will not be a
    problem. I hope he goes on a better show like Vampire Diaries
    or GLEE

50. Rodrigo says:

I’d already stopped watching this series because of it’s low quality and what got me back was the gay arch, which I only watched to see what was being portrayed for the world to see. Kicking him out was a big mistake as I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this show is unbearable without a gay storyline. Bye bye 90210.