Fall TV Preview

90210 Exclusive: Trevor Donovan Poised to Exit

Another 90210 resident is heading for the hills.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Trevor Donovan — whose heretofore-closeted alter ego Teddy was at the center of a high profile coming out storyline last season — will not be returning to The CW soap as a series regular for Season 4.

Fans, however, have not seen the last of Teddy.

Although a spokesperson for the show declined to comment, a 90210 insider says Donovan will appear as a guest star in roughly five episodes this fall.

“I look back on getting this real-life story line as a blessing,” Donovan told TVLine in a statement. “To be able to simultaneously take on a challenging role and bring awareness to a relevant social issue was a win-win for me. I’m looking forward to what opportunities and adventures lie ahead.”

News of Donovan’s looming departure comes as 90210 undergoes a period of transition — both on screen and off. Season 4 will find much of the West Bev crew moving on to college — a rite of passage that triggered the exits of the show’s two remaining adult characters, Lori Loughlin and Ryan Eggold. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Life Unexpected scribes Patti Carr and Lara Olsen have taken over as co-showrunners, replacing Rebecca Sinclair.

Thoughts? Shocked? Saddened? Indifferent? Did you see the writing on the wall? Weigh in below.

Comments (98)

• Teedy is one the best characters on this show… Can’t believe they made him gay and then got rid of him.

You’ll be missed lad.

Comment by Stevie P – June 6, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Making him gay was the best thing that happened to his useless character. It gave him purpose and made him far more likable.

Comment by Captain – June 6, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they had done this at the end of season 2, this would be no big deal (except that I would miss him being shirtless, of course). But now that he’s become relevant and is showing as much depth for a character as the 90210 writers will ever allow, this is terrible.

Couldn’t they just get rid of Adrianna instead? That bitch really should’ve died in season 1 when she ODed on drugs. She was much more valuable when she was an Abby Morgan type of character. When the show returned with its back 9 that season, I was so pissed when she lived. Now, I think that she can’t possibly go further downhill, and yet, she continues to do so.

Comment by Dirk – June 6, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nice Dawson’s Creek reference!!

Comment by Monica – June 7, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I know, my eyes lit up when I saw that reference. Haven’t thought about Abbey Morgan for so long!

Comment by J – June 7, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok, get rid of Teddy (with the one real-life story) but they keep Adrianna and her BS of a character. WTF!

Comment by Tory – June 6, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t even watch the show. But from the few episodes I’ve seen I totally agree with you.

Comment by h – June 7, 2011 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, him and his storyline were one of the only reasons I kept watching.

Comment by Stefan – June 6, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here, I only watched for his storyline. This is what everyone feared would happen when they gave him the coming-out storyline. I mean this was the most relevant element of the show, no need to watch now.

Comment by David – June 6, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with you; I tuned in to the first season for the nostalgia factor(Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty reuniting, et al) then quickly tuned out once I realized that a lot of the newbies weren’t very interesting(though i still enjoy AnnaLynne McCord’s Naomi). I tuned back in this season primarily because of the Teddy storyline, which took up a couple or three GOOD episodes but still could have been better fleshed out throughout the season. Now with TD essentially getting axed and TPTB insisting on NOT killing off Adrianna(one of the most useless, un-rootable characters in all of primetime) I think I’m now good to go and invest that hour of TV elsewhere.

Comment by ChrisGa – June 6, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To bad… The only good thing about this show is leaving.

Comment by trev – June 6, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT? Oh c’mon, that’s not fair, he was one of my faves! I honestly enjoy Teddy’s storyline last season (well, more than Adrianna’s, that’s for sure). Shame!

Comment by Andrea – June 6, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a joke. Typical getting rid of the gay character. Teddy’s storyline was fantastic this season.

Comment by Terry – June 6, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Trev, I’m done with 90210. He (gay or straight) was the only reason I was tuning in.

Comment by unlimitedjason – June 6, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah that new direction they are talking about is downhill.

Comment by Mike – June 6, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly the same with me! Without Trevor, I’m pretty sure I’m no longer interested in 90210… Too bad…

Comment by andrew – September 13, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very saddened. He was the only reason I watched this piece of crap show. I give this train wreck one more season. I will watch
    Trevor on whatever show he’s on.

Comment by Jean – June 6, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sounds like the new show runners dont want any gay stuff. (achem homophobes achem)

great job new writers. thanks for taking away the only interesting character/storyline from the show.

Comment by Sammy – June 6, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just co’s Trev’s going doesn’t mean we’ve seen the last of a good gay character, they might bring in another one next series, or a bisexual one. And you never know they might bring him back as a regular within a couple of series time.

Comment by Adam Humphreys – August 1, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A big FU to the new showrunners!!!! I’m so done with this show.
    Its very clear gay characters get the back hand on this network
    and show. Trevor FTW!!!! we love you Trevor!!!

Comment by Silent Majority – June 6, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After this last season he’s one of the most well-developed and sympathetic characters on the show. How could they possibly dump him and keep dull characters like Annie and Liam instead?

Comment by M – June 6, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see Liam as a dull character, I think it’s more underdeveloped. It’s like the writers know Matt is popular on the show and can’t figure out what to do with him. All of the writing has been all over the place, but especially the writing of Liam’s character.

Comment by LG – June 6, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he had a great story this past season but really where else did his story have to go? good move by the showrunners focus on the core characters

Comment by ggny – June 6, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, way to ruin one of the best things about this show. I can’t really seem to care about this show at all anymore.

Comment by Steve – June 6, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has become such a train wreck. First the nutso cousin trying to steal Annie’s life and then Adrianna (not even sure what was worse – stealing the dead guys song or seeking revenge on Silver). Hopefully, the new show runners will rethink the whole show – except for Naomi and Max who are tons of fun. (Please, oh please let that whole pregnancy be some sort of prank)

Comment by Kara – June 6, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed on your comments especially about Naomi and Max. I keep hoping it will be a false alarm. My fear is that it will be Naomi lying.

Comment by Melokesm – June 6, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not really shocked at this at all. When it was announced that Freddie Smith, Trevor’s onscreen love interest, was hired by Days of Our Lives a month ago, I felt there was going to be a shakeup with Trevor’s character. The decision must had been made some time ago to release his character and we are just hearing about it. Too bad -I really liked Teddy and Marco together.

Comment by Margo – June 6, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His storylines pretty much done. I’m fine with this.

Comment by Jamie – June 6, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. His storyline was good this season, but other than that he has been pretty bland. There’s not much else to do with him.

Comment by Heather – June 6, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i disagree. they could have done a lot more with his storyline. sure, all his friends know…but what about his family? his movie star dad, how would he feel about having a gay son?

Comment by dalia – June 6, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad news, I liked his SL. It was real, and now they just throw it away. Guess they just want straight kids going to college. Bad decision…

Comment by Ingmar – June 6, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really care!

Comment by Nanu – June 6, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saddest thing ever :’( Teddy was one of my fav character on the show

Comment by Sarah – June 6, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I called this as soon as they announced plans to “out” his character last year. Really unfortunate.

Honestly, this show has been SUCH a mess since it started. They bring back Kelly & Donna and make them unhappy (Donna and David having marital problems? Kelly and Dylan had a kid but broke up??) with no resolution to either of those stories.

Also, how many times are they going to do the whole “Adrianna wants to be a normal teen/wants to be a singer/wants to be a normal teen/wants to be a singer” storyline?? OR the whole “Adrianna is good/Adrianna uses drugs and becomes a bitch/Adrianna is good again” storyline?

Comment by gam – June 6, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another show to remove from my TiVo’s Season Pass list.

Comment by Richard – June 6, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this season I won’t be watching. Getting rid of a character who has related to tons of actual people is a stupid move! Yup. So over 90210.

Comment by Lisa – June 6, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 90210 sucks! Trevor was a ray of light on that dreary show. I now have 1 less show to worry about recording. 90210 is off the
    list as soon as @TrevDon is off it.

Comment by John Q Public – June 6, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be tuning in after he leaves. He was one of my favorites and they really wasted him last season. He was in like 2 minutes every episode.

Comment by tvaddict – June 6, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best move for Trevor Donovan was to leave this show, to be
    honest, hardly anyone watches it and I only watched for Trevor.

Comment by East Coaster – June 6, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE GO ONTO GLEE TREVOR!!! TREVOR DONOVAN HAS GOT TO BE ON GLEE HE CAN SING VERY WELL. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrevorDonovan?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/10/nWv7Wnx9-g8

Comment by GLEEK – June 6, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t be serious.

Comment by Cassie – June 6, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think I would be but I’m actually very saddened by this. I hated his character in Season 2 but his gay storylien made him much more likable and I actually began to look forward to his scenes. It figures now he’s gone. Atleast he’ll be back for a bit this season. But really, if they were going to get rid of someone, why not Ivy? She has no purpose anymore.

Comment by Captain – June 6, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my guess is that with Ivy getting married with Raj and I think they said she wasnt going to College and was going to continue Surfing, she will probably come back for a couple episodes then be written off.

Comment by Jake – June 6, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching the first two seasons just to get to his storyline! DAMMIT!

Comment by Sam – June 6, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you dont have to watch the first two season to get his storyline because he isnt in the first two seasons

Comment by ggny – June 6, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a trevor donovan fan not a 90210 fan. he made me feel it
    was ok to be me and played that role proudly. he won my respect

Comment by Bethany – June 6, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lame decision of behalf of the writers. I loved his role and what he brought to the show.

Comment by Brock – June 6, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Teddy… That’s a bummer!

Comment by Sarah – June 6, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder whether or not this was his decision? A lot of people seemed to warm up to him this past season, it would be a shame if the writers decided to get rid of him.

Comment by anonymous – June 6, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” They bring back Kelly & Donna and make them unhappy (Donna and David having marital problems? Kelly and Dylan had a kid but broke up??) with no resolution to either of those stories.”

They need to resolve those storylines before this show ends. When the show is mainly about the new kids just let the old 90210 characters be happy and don’t screw up their happy endings.

Comment by anonymous – June 6, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe now that Rebecca Sinclair is gone. But I read that she made it pretty clear she did not want the show to be about the old characters. That’s why you didn’t see them at all this season. Personally, I think they took the original 90210 history, stomped on it, and then left it without any resolution. Turning Jackie Taylor back into a trainwreck (which she hadn’t been since Season 1 of the original show) and then killing her? Seriously?

Comment by jules – June 7, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The guy’s a 40 year old playing a 17 year old. That was a terrible casting decision from the start.

Comment by Joe – June 6, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. They rarely used him as it was. He was not even part of the group in the on-air promo shots. He was treated as a guest star anyway. I think his coming-out storyline was used to drum up press and bolster ratings and then… . Trevor Donavan deserves better.

Comment by Jon – June 6, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well this sucks even though the character was really underused he was great.I have a feeling that Ivy may be next up on the chopping block, I can’t see Annie,Naomi,Liam.Dixon,Navid or Silver going anyway but Adrianna might get axed *crosses fingers*.

Comment by Elle – June 6, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yet another show I will not be watching next season. Teddy’s story was the only well written one on the show. I can’t help but wonder why they asked Trevor Donovan to stretch himself so much as an actor. He did an amazing job and now it’s as if he’s being punished for it.

Comment by Peigare – June 6, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. He showed he’s talented. Too talented for this show.
      Who ever gets him on their show will be very lucky indeed.
      Count me in as one fan who will watch whatever he’s on.

Comment by Jean – June 6, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • also with Teddy leaving im guessing we will see Max and Raj both become regulars(thats if they dont get rid of Ivy also)

Comment by ggny – June 6, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This does not bode well for my future enjoyment of 90210. So Far Rebecca leaving as the show-runner put me on the fence and now this casting news is making me lean toward skipping the show altogether.

Comment by TheReasonsY – June 6, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance to crappy acting. He was looking way too old for the part anyways. Fingers crossed Mccord gets the boot too.

Comment by chastidy – June 6, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He had the best storyline on that show, and made it watchable for me this past season. Not sure if I’ll be watching the next season now.

Comment by Charlotte – June 6, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gutted! This beautiful person needs to be on a TV or movie screen asap! 90210 is lame to the 10th power anyway. Trevor made it
    cool.

Comment by Maidenhead UK – June 6, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched the first 2 seasons, but when I heard they were doing the Teddy storyline I watched season 3. That was the only interesting storyline so I guess I’m not watching season 4.

Comment by Scott – June 6, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching for the original 90210 connection. Once they cut ties with those characters, I cut ties with this show. However, the Teddy storyline did catch my interest and I tuned back in. But without Teddy, I won’t be watching this horrible show.

Sadly it’s obvious they never knew what to do with Teddy. The lack of screentime and the way they couldn’t keep his love interests on the show long enough to develop a relationship didn’t help either…

It’s disappointing that they are ditching the gay character and not one of their many insufferable straight characters. Plus I think Teddy was one of the only gay characters on the CW… the only other one I can think of is barely there Eric on Gossip Girl.

Comment by Angel – June 6, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats 90210 you just made sure you’ll go to 4 seasons.

Comment by deedeedragons – June 6, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they get rid of the best character?!?!?!? No wonder this show is a joke. There is nothing of substance to keep me watching now.

Comment by Concerned FAN – June 6, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I think getting rid of Teddy is a plus. How about another gay character that’s more three-dimensional? Anyway, he was way too old for the role — it was distracting. As long as Naomi is back, I’m there …

Comment by Danny – June 6, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a sad news. He was the only reason I’ve watched this crap. But let’s face it, he’s over 30 and he can’t manage to look like he’s 18 anymore.

Comment by Alex – June 6, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tuned in this past season for the first time to watch Teddy’s storyline unfold. With the character leaving, there’s nothing to keep me watching. Goodbye 90210!

Comment by Ross – June 6, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge TREVOR DONOVAN FAN, so not watching 90210 will not be a
    problem. I hope he goes on a better show like Vampire Diaries
    or GLEE

Comment by Harry the Prince – June 6, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d already stopped watching this series because of it’s low quality and what got me back was the gay arch, which I only watched to see what was being portrayed for the world to see. Kicking him out was a big mistake as I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this show is unbearable without a gay storyline. Bye bye 90210.

Comment by Rodrigo – June 6, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post