D'oh! Robert Pattinson's F-Bomb at MTV Movie Awards Slips By Censors

Something tells me there will be an MTV censor on the unemployment line tomorrow morning.

While presenting a career achievement award to Reese Witherspoon at Sunday’s MTV Movie Awards, Twilight star Robert Pattinson joked that he went from playing the actress’ son in 2004’s Vanity Fair to her lover in last year’s Water For Elephants.

Only instead of “lover” he said, “I did f— you” — a crack that MTV failed to bleep during the live East Coast feed.

“It was unexpected, and was a technical glitch in not catching it,” responds an MTV spokesperson. “It won’t be in the West Coast feed or any repeats.”

Did you hear the naughty word? Thoughts?

GET MORE: Awards, Controversy, News

1. Sam says:

That sound you hear is two million hands covering two million tween-girl ears.

2. Mandy says:

It was pretty awesome!

• jr says:

no mandy, it’s not awesome and only a moron would think so. not only were his comments in poor taste but that f-bomb could put someone out of a job. too bad he didn’t show more class. too bad u don’t have any.

• Paul says:

Lighten up, jr! It’s a freaking word, and I thought it was hilarious. This is MTV, not the Disney channel, and the word aired after 9pm on a Sunday night. And the fact that you call Mandy a moron for thinking differently then you says more about your lack of class then anything else.

• Tia says:

I agree with Paul. It was late in the evening and on a cable station devoted to high school and college age kids. You will hear worse things on other stations and out of the mouths of their target audience.

• Kipper Ken says:

I agree with Paul as well. MTV is aimed at 15-20 yr old kids. They use the f-word more than anybody, so what’s the big deal. If anyone in this age group heard it during the show last night, they would have just giggled and then texted everyone they knew to see if they also heard it. I agree, it must be a slow entertainment news day.

3. Alex says:

He’s so drunk. I love it.

• Bamabunny says:

You’d be drunk too, upon the realization that you sold your soul to the Twilight franchise and no matter what you do in your acting career you will forever be branded as “Edward Cullen.”

• sadtroll says:

Oooooh, someone slagging on the Twilight films!!

Bamabunny, get a flashlight. It’ll help you aim your laser wit at the dark corners of the barrel. I think I see a goldfish that looks like Taylor Lautner!

4. Allison says:

I thought it was great! I find it hilarious when stuff gets past the censors. I do feel bad for whoever was not on the ball up there though…

5. Marcus says:

• Jen says:

Agreed.

• Gami says:

Ditto!

• tvgirl48 says:

I absolutely agree. It’s like dealing with a bunch of school children. “Ooh, he said a baaaaad word!”

• April says:

When I can hear,living across from an Elementary School, 8 year old’s saying much worse in the school yard and walking home past my house. I think we have more to fear from those raising the children then the shows they may or perhaps shouldn’t be watching. I have a 13 year old calling me a c–t out loud in front if his house, because I turned him in to his neighbor’s for vandelizing stuff in their yard and all the Mom does is tell me, “He’s only a child”. My Mom would have had my hide. I do agree that we should just get over it when it comes to things said on TV, Movies, Radio

• CJ says:

God bless you and your common sense! Can’t wait for that day either!

• Vicki says:

I agree. Oh boo-f*cking-hoo.

6. Tricia says:

It was definitely intentionally uncensored. MTV made it a point to show that he was “ad libing” when they showed the tele-prompter. Everyone will be talking about this for ages, and MTV is famous for having at least ONE ridiculous thing happen at every award show.

7. Laura says:

Seriously, if a viewer watching this show is too young/too “pure” to hear the f-word then they shouldn’t be watching. There has been a million sex jokes and other crude humor that is not censored.

8. Joe says:

What is this world coming to? Men kissin on tv and now this F word Wtf

9. jaded says:

I’m glad I DVR’d it now. Too bad the people who didn’t see it live won’t get that one unpredicatable moment. For once, we got REALITY. Of course, the Conservatives will scream the same way they did for that clothing malfunction of Janet Jackson’s. But it’s cable. Not a network. Hopefully the FCC won’t have any authority.

I’m not saying I’m in love with the F word, I’m not. But the fact that something unscripted actually occurred here….it’s amazing.

10. Will says:

This seems like a non-story

11. Amy says:

Eff’n hilarious!

12. agnela says:

It’s been posted on tumblr. Awesome!! http://bit.ly/lzt2KD

13. ButIdidFyou says:

14. Matt says:

OH MY GOD, WHAT??? Someone said the F word?!?!? And people heard it!!!?!?

Honestly, everyone who posts a story about this needs to grow up. It’s even worse when the editor of the website takes time out of his sunday night to post it as if it’s breaking news, and worse still when he ends it with “Did you catch it?” as if it’s some kind of once-in-lifetime event.

Give it a rest.

15. Shawn says:

I’ll be damned. He does know how to comb his hair.

16. Taylor says:

I wouldn’t mind living in a world where we could watch the show completely uncensored.
    I mean, it’s not like we don’t know what they’re saying. But heaven forbid anyone under 14 (who shouldn’t be watching without an adult based on the show’s rating) hear a cuss word.

• Terry says:

Well, it’s just like with Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim when they post bumps that are sometimes random e-mails from fans. The funniest one was when an 8-year-old sent them a message saying how he/she missed the old Cartoon Network shows and asked why they would play shows that cussed. Their response? “What parent allows their 8-year-old to watch shows where we clearly show this *displays parental advisory that clearly says not for viewers under 14 years of age* and I thought I would die laughing.

17. Sandra says:

He probably plastered…..

18. Ashley says:

The F-Bomb drop would have been even better had he gotten the punch line in his own joke correct. They should have let Reese’s F-Bomb slip through the cracks instead….

19. TV Gord says:

How horrible for all of the viewers who were corrupted by hearing that word! (I guess that would be all the people who never travelled on a school bus or ate lunch in a school cafeteria.)

I think the disclaimer that ran after every commercial break absolves anyone from actually losing their job. The producer probably looked over to the person on the button and said, “Oh well, sh!t happens”!

20. JK says:

Am I the only one who thinks he was SERIOUSLY awkward and unprepared for this “speech”? I was embarrassed for Reese.

• Ruthie says:

This is no surprise, he’s always awkward and unprepared. Reese probably new that already. That’s why it’s amazing when he’s not awkward on screen.

21. John says:

And yet you took the time to go to the article, read the post and type a comment.Regular American TV networks follow FTC guidelines about language. That’s why censors have jobs. It’s news when something slips past them that’s against the rules – whether it be language or a wardrobe malfunction. Journalists wouldn’t be journalists if they ignored it.

22. Amber says:

I saw it, and LOVED it. lol I thought it was super funny. Moments like that are why I watch live tv. LoL

23. Mike says:

Seriously, does NOBODY remember last year’s awards?? Peter Facinelli got off at least 3 f-bombs that the censors “could not get to in time.” It was forgotten the next day; same story here. God forbid the precious tweens hear a word on TV they hear on 435 times a day at school.

• Bamabunny says:

Well, it’s not an MTV Movie Awards until a cast member of “Twilight” drops the F-bomb. I’ve got money on Stewart to say it next year!

24. Sal says:

I thought it was funny that he said the F-word, but not so much when I saw the 7-year-old girl in the audience (who won Best Line in Grown-ups). I hope she wasn’t there for the whole show.

25. Twihard Team Edward says:

Oh my gosh what a concept someone uses a real word and people are freaking out just to make headlines. What is the difference between 1) promoting rap music with that word in it, and lyrics that degrade and speak of murdering people or 2) hearing that word in what is becoming a comedy awards show – which for the people that it was intended for it was hilarious.

People if your kids are to young to hear the F word they are to young to be watching every movie nominated except toy story 3 – it’s that simple and you need to do a reality check. Is this really any different to the “music” your kids are listening to (lady gaga, rhianna, eminem etc… I highly doubt it is so please stop condemning someone for using a word that is used numerous times over in the music that MTV themselves promote on a daily basis.

26. godzilla_foil says:

Seriously, MTV? If they say “It was expected”, their fine raises substantially. So duh! Now, please, read this again: “If a viewer watching this show is too young/too “pure” to hear the f-word then they shouldn’t be watching. There has been a million sex jokes and other crude humor that is not censored.” (by Laura) And also this: “How I long for the day when puritanical idiots throw away their TV sets and I don’t have to care when a grown adult says a swear word.” (by Marcus). All in all, this is the ultimate non-event: a non-event happening during a non-event. How meta.

27. Magickster says:

If you rely on swearing and sex jokes, you have no real talent to begin with. Seriously, can’t we all get over this Twilight stuff already?? Watch some of the older movies when people actually had talent..

28. Guest says:

Obviously Robert Pattinson needs to mature and be able to
    handle himself better than this. As a mother of a 13 year
    old, whom idolizes Rob, it was very disappointing that he
    did not have better restraint or control of his mouth.
    Actually, this is just one more reason for me not to like
    him.

• Paul says:

Newsflash, “Guest”, Rob’s an adult and adults use adult language. I shouldn’t be expected to dummy down his language to impress your 13-year old that should probably not have been watching the MTV Movie Awards, anyway.

Hello! Did you see the lazer boners?

• Heather says:

Paul said it perfectly!
        I have a 12 year old daughter, she loves Twilight, but I would NEVER let her watch MTV awards shows! There is always raunchy, dirty humor involved (that I find absolutely hysterical). Be smart – if she really wants to see it because of the Twilight stars, then you should DVR the show, watch it yourself, then pick what you will allow her to see. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out, geez.

29. aimie says:

I was like “oh my god!” and laughed out loud! Its reality..its gonna happen sumtimes.people need to get over it i mean there was the girl on girl scene..dogs humping..alot of sexual refrences..anyone who has ever watched the mtv awards should know that it can get sumwhat vulgar at times..so if u let ur children watch all that then dont get defensive when vulgar language is heard..and btw if u want “classy” go watch the oscars or the tony awards! MTV isnt about class..they are about kickin ass! And thats why i like watchin their award shows!

30. Megan McDonald says:

I thought it was the freakin funniest thing ever besides who said the same old edward cullen can’t have a bad boy side lol

31. lethargic says:

Am I the only person who remembers a day when the MTV award shows were an anything goes, you’ll never know what happens next trainwreck of awesome stupidity?

It’s incredibly sad that a show that use to come off as truly dangerous has been so watered down and ruined by today’s political correctness that a single cuss word actually warrants this type of reaction.

It’s amazing what a childish society we have become.

32. Philippe Martin says:

Yes, people use the f word all the time. So waht ? In france we use “putain” all the time too. It’s not the best word obviously, but we don’t beep or write about it each time we hear it on tv.
    USA need to grow up about some stuff for sure.

33. postsalot says:

I think it was great. Imagine all those tweeners who’ve been watching the Twilight movies, and they knew Edward & Bella really wanted to do something together but they just didn’t know what…what…what’s the word for it?

34. Rich says:

OMG…He said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the “F-dash-dash-dash” word! WHO CARES!! Kids hear WAY worse stuff in school. Sick of “for this children” bs all the time.

35. CC says:

I’m all for people complaining about the cussing that occurs on tv. When people don’t complain and just say that’s how people talk, it leads to children cussing and people ignoring as evidenced by the many defenses of “you should hear what the kids in the elementary school say.” I don’t particularly feel that this instance is such a big deal, but cussing on tv has become such a common thing it’s ridiculous. If adults and people on tv act as though cussing is no big deal, then children will follow suit. I don’t want to have to censor every single little thing my children watch on tv. Yes, I usually watch with them, and yes I make sure they understand that they will not act like the people on tv, but I shouldn’t have to monitor every second my children are watching tv. We don’t have the same taste in entertainment. Is there a show on regular tv during prime time that doesn’t use cuss words that would have never made it through 20 years ago? When Spongebob starts commenting that life’s a bitch, maybe everyone will finally see there is a problem :)