Emmys

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Supporting Comedy Actor Race, Including Our Dream Nominees

There are few certainties about the 2011 Emmys derby, but rest assured this is one of them: if you’re a male performer on a sitcom not called Modern Family, you face an uphill battle elbowing your way into the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series race. Even without a nod for patriarch Ed O’Neill last year, ABC’s hit comedy accounted for half of all the category’s nominations. So the question this year isn’t whether the Family men will make another strong showing — they will — but rather who’ll snap up the remaining spots. Here’s how things look going into nomination season.

More 2011 Emmy Races In Review: Supporting Comedy Actress | Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Outstanding Comedy Series

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote below for who you think are the six best. And check back Tuesday for our review of the Reality Series race!

Comments (144)

• Was Jim Parsons in the Leading category? I thought he was supporting. If so, big omission!!

Comment by Rachel – June 5, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil and Jason – HIMYM

Comment by Nina – June 5, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’ve got Danny Pudi, which is great, but not Donald Glover? And where are the guys from Cougar Town?

Comment by Sara – June 5, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about Donald Glover. Both he and Danny HAVE to be nominated this year!

Comment by Chris – June 5, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This x1000. Childish Gambino was robbed.

Comment by ell – June 5, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREE! WHERE WAS COUGAR TOWN! You give two of the ladies some loving but none of the fellas, hello Andy Torres, funniest on the show!!

Comment by Kate – June 5, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This was totally going to be my comment. Andy and Bobby should at LEAST be up for consideration!!

Comment by the girl – June 6, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah where is Donald Glover???

Comment by Sarah El – June 5, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dong Lover does not approve that he was left off this list. It’s bad enough that Lady Emmy may not shine her sights on Donald Glover but he can’t even got on this list?? For shame! Community guys for the win!

Comment by Vixela – June 6, 2011 02:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Ken Jeong on this list and not Donald Glover? If we’re going to list “Community” characters, Troy>Chang for sure…

Comment by Tom – June 5, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want to know why Jeong is on this list AT ALL. He’s incredibly unfunny, especially when he’s surrounded by 9 (the seven leads, John Oliver and Jim Rash) insanely funny people.

Comment by Sam – June 5, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If we’re putting any Community supporting cast members on here, Donald Glover should definitely be up over Ken Jeong.

Comment by L – June 6, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, Donald Glover! Never not hilarious.

Comment by Chris Serico – June 5, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Donald Glover??

Comment by Drew – June 5, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nick Offerman and Eric Stonestreet are the two I’d like to see one of whom take home the emmy. Both crack me up and it’s ironic they play polar opposite characters to the other

Comment by Bobby – June 5, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donald Glover.
    If you don’ list him, i won’t even bother voting.

P.S Chevy chase is also missing!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Federico – June 5, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, Mr. Donald Glover from Community??? Hello??? He’s outstanding!

Comment by Jason – June 5, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil Patrick Harris has the most votes? Really? That character has become so stale it’s ridiculous. He’s the Sue Sylvester of HIMYM. That whole show has basically become a mockery of itself though. Nick Offerman and Aziz Ansari all the way.

Comment by Justin – June 5, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree with that. I feel this season they really tried to break free of the old Barney. The seasonal arc of Barney finding his father seems to have changed the character based on some of the conversations at the end of the season. As well, we now know (SPOILER ALERT) that Barney will get married, so Barney has now changed.

Comment by Jamie – June 5, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just think the show and its characters are all completely one note and don’t deserve anything. Bad writing. Awful laugh track. Stunted story lines. The show is a waste frankly, and I think next season needs to be its last.

Comment by Justin – June 5, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What this series is as fresh as it ever was

Comment by Jon – June 5, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Six seasons in and this show is definitely not ‘fresh as ever.” There’s no reason a TV show should be titled How I Met Your Mother and literally 90 percent of the series is devoted to not finding out how the mother was met. The show was fun for a while, but six seasons in it’s just annoying week after week. I stopped watching halfway through this season. Not only does this show suffer from poor writing and a major cheeseball factor, the same awful jokes and one-liners said a million different ways, but it also suffers from Bad and Misleading Title for a TV Show Syndrome. Meet the mother already. HIMYM is the very definition of stale.

Comment by Justin – June 5, 2011 05:55 PM PDT
    • I agree i will rather Jason Segel.

Comment by Mike – June 25, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Peter Facinelli? He’s one of the most consistent laugh-getters on NURSE JACKIE.

Comment by Franklin – June 5, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the toughest category of ‘em all. So many apt contenders!

Comment by jrs – June 5, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked – SHOCKED – that you didn’t see fit to include Danny Glover!

Comment by Alex – June 5, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because Danny Glover isn’t on a show? DONALD Glover is on Community though…

Comment by S – June 5, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You mean Crispin Glover.

Comment by cl – June 5, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just want Troy!! Why isn’t he included!!!!

Comment by Rachel – June 6, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh haha. I spotted my mistake rather late. But snark all you want – y’know what I mean!

Comment by Alex – June 7, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil HIMYM
    Jason HIMYM
    Simon TBBT

Comment by shay – June 5, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is by far the toughest category so far, there are like 9 people i could easily vote for, if not 10.

Comment by Adam – June 5, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Adam Scott from Parks and Recreation?

Comment by Buffy Freak – June 5, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to echo the disappointment of not seeing anybody from Cougar Town on the list. I would have also loved to have seen Adam Baldwin from Chuck on the list.

Comment by Emily – June 5, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree about Adam Baldwin! The entire cast of Chuck has been ignored every year and SOMEONE definitely deserves a nomination.

Comment by Samantha – June 5, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adam Baldwin and Joshua Gomez should both be on this list–they are both hilarious!!!

Comment by verver – June 6, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm, Josh Hopkins.

Comment by Jay – June 5, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason had a better year than Neil on HIMYM but he’ll probably be overlooked again.

I agree with everyone else that’s mentioned the lack of Donald Glover on this list. Definitely put him down as Other.

Comment by Sara – June 5, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I forgot

Ed Helms (the office) and Ed O’Neil (modern family) and I add Kunal HIMYM

Comment by shay – June 5, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chevy Chase should definitely be up there, his character arc on Community was outstanding this season. Much more deserving than Ken Jeong. I would also argue Brian Van Holt from Cougar Town. He’s done some great work, especially in the finale.

And whoever said NPH isn’t deserving did not watch this season or the episode where Barney met his father. Brilliant acting.

Comment by Maureen – June 5, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Segel, really? He’s the worst one on the show. You can tell he thinks he’s funnier than he is, constantly smug and overacting. Used to like him, then after Forgetting Sarah Marshall he kept getting worse, and now he’s close to making the show unwatchable, which is a shame as the rest of the cast are brilliant.

Comment by Ben – June 5, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KUNAL NAYAR

Comment by Ann – June 5, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SECONDED! He should have been in the list of contenders, at least. He’s been great this season.

Comment by Pomita – June 5, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream is either Ty Burrell or Nick Offerman winning the Emmy. I will settle for nominations. It will be a crime if Ed O’Neill isn’t nominated either. I also love Eric Stonestreet. And Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segal. And Simon Helberg and Danny Pundi. There are too many good ones. Can we just give Emmys to all of them? I will settle for a tie between Phil Dunphy and Ron Swanson because they are my very favorites out there. Between Ron Swanson’s Pyramid of Greatness and Clive Bixby I can’t decide who I love more.

Comment by Amy – June 5, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Josh Hopkins is so funny plus he sings And he’s the romantic lead. Seriously.

Comment by G – June 5, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope you’ll add Arjun Gupta, Paul Schulze, Peter Facinelli and Stephen Wallem all of Nurse Jackie to your list.

Comment by Cassie – June 5, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is NPH supporting actor and not lead…
    I mean..tbh the show actually focuses around “barney” and not “ted”…
    beside that whole mother-search-thing!
    dont you think?

Comment by DonLunte – June 5, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you need to get TBBT’s Kunal Nayyar in this!!!
    His character is hilarious! he’s awesome!!

Comment by isela – June 5, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For once, I had to include ‘Other’ in my vote because you didn’t include Donald Glover on this list. Which is just criminal really. He is such a talented comedian and makes everything that Troy does (including and especially crying) absolutely hilarious.

Danny Pudi/Abed might be the ‘breakout character’ from season 1. But Donald Glover as Troy is the most deserving of a supporting nomination.

I would also love to see Simon Helberg and Nick Offerman grab nominations. They both do fabulous jobs on their respective shows.

Comment by Amber – June 5, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t say “most deserving,” especially with Danny Pudi’s performance in Critical Film Studies, but Donald Glover and Chevy Chase should at least be in contention for nominations. Chase’s portrayal of Pierce throughout the season, from losing his mother early on to demanding acceptance, be it with an older group of misfits or with his study group (which resulted in him being in a wheel chair and addicted to pain meds), was its own season-arc that should alter the dynamic for next season.

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – June 5, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donald Glover and/or Chevy Chase should be listed rather than Ken Jeong for Community, and Craig Robinson should be here over Ed Helms for The Office. Also, why is Ed O’Neil supporting? If anybody from Modern Family should garner a nomination for lead actor, it should be him or Ty Burrell.

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – June 5, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Donald Glover makes me so Changry.

Comment by Lindsay – June 5, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those Modern Family guys seem to be a lock. I really hope Chris Colfer gets a nomination, he is so deserving! Also, Donald Glover deserves more recognition than he gets. He should absolutely be thought of in this supporting comedy Emmy race.

Comment by Barbara B. – June 5, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donald Glover deserves a nomination this year, as does several of the guys from Cougar Town. I’d say Glover even deserves to win if it hadn’t been for Nick Offerman in Parks & Rec. As for the Cougar Town guys, I would have loved to see Brian Van Holt on this list. He really got to flesh out Bobby as a fully formed character this season, while still retaining the character’s goofiness.

My dream nominees:

Donald Glover, Community
    Danny Pudi, Community
    Nick Offerman, Parks & Recreation (winner)
    Jason Segel, How I Met Your Mother
    Ty Burrell, Modern Family
    Brian Van Holt, Cougar Town

I’d love to see Tracy Morgan, Ed Helms, Adam Scott, Aziz Ansari, Chris Pratt and Josh Hopkins to be nominated as well, but there are way too many deserving people in this category!

Comment by Jake – June 5, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m wondering since Jane Lynch is hosting the Emmys (and therefore probably won’t win for Sue) if Chris Colfer will take home an Emmy. Not saying I want that to happen though because Kurt is completely overrated. But so is Glee.

Comment by Kevin H. – June 5, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neil, Jason, Simon,

They’re not on the list and it’s a shame

Kunal HIMYM
    Josh Hopkins Cougar Town
    Brian Van Holt Cougar Town
    Ian Gomez Cougar Town

Comment by farah – June 5, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur. Where are my Cougar Town men? If I had to choose between them, I’d pick Brian Van Holt as Bobby. I want to give that guy a hug.

Comment by Sarah – June 5, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where in the heck is Rico Rodriguez (Manny, Modern Family)?!

Comment by Rob J. – June 5, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • manny is amazing!! This will be an incredibly tough category though

Comment by jenna – June 5, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This category is woefully in need of Donald Glover (Community), Jim Rash (Community- is he eligible though? Would he be guest actor? I’m not sure. Still, too hysterical to ignore), and Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation).

I would give Adam Scott the win. Out of all possible nominees.

Comment by Sean D – June 5, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the most part, I agree with TVLine’s Dream Nominees, aside from the notable absences I mentioned above. While I realize it will be a long shot for Community to *win* an Emmy, I am sincerely pulling for an upset in that they will at least garner enough nominations to become an attention-grabber.

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – June 5, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Segal in the episode AFTER the funeral – where he reverted back to high school mode – was a season high for me. And Chris Colfer would be my LAST pick. While he can be funny, most of his story is serious – as mentioned by the write-up.

Comment by Saracen Riggins – June 5, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ed Helms, Ty Burrell from your list
    Not on list: Josh Hopkins, Brian Van Holt, Ian Gomez – all from Cougartown
    Not on list: Rizwan Manji – Outsourced
    Not on list: Peter Faccinelli – Nurse Jackie
    What about the boys from Shameless? Will that be considered a comedy or drama? I vote for comedy.

Comment by Jon – June 5, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SHAMELESS enters as a drama.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 5, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • parvesh cheena from outsourced! Gupta’s definitely kept me laughing

Comment by jenna – June 5, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m in the minority on this but how about Bill Hader? I know SNL didn’t have the best season, but he’s become the best thing about that show right now in my opinion. I would love to see him get some recognition.
    Also, I hope Nick Offerman is nominated and wins this year.

Comment by Holly – June 5, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very surprised Donald Glover is not on this list. He may be the funniest person on Community. He can turn any line, as simple as it seems, into comedic gold. His facial expressions and the inflection in which he delivers his lines is spot on every time.
    I am also a little surprised by the ommision of all of the Cougar Town guys, however, I do feel that the ladies are a little funnier than the men. Out of everyone I would say the guy who plays Bobby would be most deserving.

Comment by Christine – June 5, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else wondering why it says Academy Awards???

Comment by Melissa – June 5, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Hader from “SNL” should have been included.

Comment by Richard – June 5, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely agree, he plays the most diverse characters on the show and pulls them off every time.

Comment by Evan – June 5, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Charlie Day is missing from the list. EPIC FAIL.

Comment by Clown Baby – June 5, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s criminal Charlie Day is missing. Not only should he be nominated, he should win. He’s the only bright spot on Sunny these days. (Pun intended). Others who are missing from the list, any guy from Cougartown and Donald Glover. My 6 picks in order…

1. Charlie Day
    2. Danny Pudi
    3. Nick Offerman
    4. Neil Patrick Harris (I maintain a stance he should have won over Jon Cryer in 2009. I don’t understand why 2 1/2 Men gets all the love that it gets.)
    5. Aziz Ansari
    6. Jesse Tyler Ferguson

People I feel pretty guilty for omitting, Simon Helberg, John Krasinski, Jack McBrayer, and Jason Segal.

Comment by Amber – June 5, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rico Rodriguez! Why aren’t the kids from Modern Family being noticed! They’re hilarious!

Comment by Alexy – June 5, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, so bare with me:
    From THIS category, the actors who I think deserve nomimations are as follows: Jon Cryer from Two and a Half Men (10 times funnier than Sheen, but people don’t realize it); John Krasinski and Rainn Wilson from The Office (I don’t watch it, really, but they are both hilarious whenever I’ve seen it, the former overlooked because he underplays it so much…people miss what’s happening, because they don’t look close enough); both NPH and Jason Segel from HIMYM (Jason and his fellow cast members, excluding NPH, are horribly underwritten in recent times, but hopefully they’ll look past this injustice and nominate him anyway?); and Chris Colfer…I’ll be honest, Glee is annoying the heck out of me, but Chris is endearing and at times heart-wrenching…he deserves a nomination. But Joshua Gomez also deserves a nod, if nothing more, He generates quite a few laughs.
    Okay…other categories?
    Supporting Female…so, this may be a biased decision overall for me, as these actresses are picked from shows I actually watch (no worries, I plan to introduce myself to the others very soon…) Mayim Bialik (holds her own against the talented cast); Alyson Hannigan and Cobie Smulders from HIMYM, who are, again, underwritten, but proved themselves a lot in the episode The Perfect Colctail; Betty White…because she’s Betty White; Kristin Wigg because she improves everything she graces with her presence, and…I don’t know. I WOULD say Jane Lynch but Sue Sylvester is – dare I say it – not her best character. Ever seen Role Models? Yeah.
    Lead Actor: Zachary Levi, who is really quite overlooked when it comes to these things, despite being one of the most loveable male leads on television to date; Jim Parsons and, to a greater extent, Johnny Galecki, the latter doing great with his material (Leonard’s character could be harder to like in other hands); Bill Gardell from M&M (I’ve only seen one episode, but I do find him loveable and very funny); and Steve Carell from The Office…I don’t need to justify that decision, I don’t think.
    Lead Actress: Kaley Cuckoo would be my last choice but, yes, she deserves a nod; Toni Collette…haven’t seen the USofT, but Toni is always brilliant, no matter what she is in; Tina Fey, who never fails to please; Mary Louise Parker…again, never seen Weeds, but I’m a huge fan of hers, and have heard great things; Amy Poehler, who, let’s face it, deserves some love; and Yvonne Strahovski, who is endlessly wonderful as Sarah Walker…another overlooked talent.
    Outstanding Comedy Series: Chuck, which may be a blend of espionage, romance, action, mystery, danger, suspence, and infinite cheese, but is still insanely funny (and it balances these themes quite skillfully); TBBT, which is consistently satisfying; Cougar Town, which is getting funnier and funnier as time goes on; HIMYM…so, the bias is really showing in all thes decisions, but Season 6 was a BIG step up from Season 5; Modern Family, though I’ve seen very little of, but always get a lot of big belly laughs from, and…I don’t know. Again, I need to introduce myself to a couple of these shows…such as Community, Parks and Recreation, and United States of Tara, all of which are getting a lot of love. Sound like a must-see list in the making. But no Family Guy, please. It’s just getting tiresome…much like this comment, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Comment by Ciara – June 5, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Scott – Parks & Recreation? Or is he a lead?

Comment by Linda – June 5, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post