Exclusive

Exclusive: House Boss On Finale Fallout: House Wasn't Trying To Kill Cuddy

House may be a lunatic but he is not a murderer. That’s House creator David Shore’s story and he’s sticking to it.

Nearly two weeks after Hugh Laurie’s demented doc crashed his car into Cuddy’s living room in the show’s polarizing season finale, Shore maintains that House was not out for blood — but he realizes some viewers were left with that impression.

House Season 8 Preview: What Will Life Without Cuddy Look Like?

“I’m aware of that reaction [and], though it’s not universal, it’s something we have to think about,” Shore told TVLine following Thursday’s WGA Foundation event, Inside the Writers Room With House. “It wasn’t intended. He was clearly doing something crazy and visceral, but he wasn’t trying to kill. If you watch the episode closely enough, [Cuddy and Co.] are leaving the room before he drives into that room. He sees that.

“Second of all,” Shore continues, “when he leaves, he says [to Wilson], ‘You’re right. I do feel better.’ And he does feel better, which to me means he got what he wanted out of that. He did intend to lash out. He did intend to hurt her, but not physically. He got what he wanted, which was to strike a blow against her world. Certainly, it was crazy and irresponsible and dangerous, but it wasn’t an attempt to murder her.”

Thoughts? Which side of this debate do you fall on? And has your opinion changed in the two weeks since the finale aired? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Irene says:

No changes.
    I’m tired of Shore messing around with fans.

• John says:

I don’t think he is changing what he tried to do, but I do worry about about the sanity of the people involved. They don’t seem to realize that what he did was clearly risking a killing.

What if they were just grabbing something and coming backto the table? What if one forgot something and went back? What if one there was still a kid there beneath window level? House had no way to stop that vehicle by the time he could see in the window again. Even if his goal was not to kill, he risked killing those people (the woamn he loved, her family and a stranger) – and that is going to require some very clever writing to get around, especially when his reasoning for dog so was so questionable. It wasn’t like Cuddy was clearly on a date.

I just hope they don’t go with some lame excuse that involves him not taking responsibility for his actions, such as him having side effects from the drugs he took, him having a vicodin reaction, etc…

I will be incredibly impressed if they can come out of this tailspin – without Cuddy – with the character intact and someone we can cheer. Shows fear jumping the shark – but there is something worse. Crashing right into the maw of the shark. Based on trajectory, I think Hugh is going to be able to tell us what shark breath smells like…

• Brandy says:

agreed. If House really wanted to lash out at her in a big way without hurting anyone, he could’ve just waited til everyone left the room, and then threw the hairbrush through the window. Still a huge stunt, but infinately less dangerous, and insane. Everyone loves House for his irreverance, and tragic flaws. We root for him because of it. However, House’s “worship of reason above all else” has always been a running theme of the show. This was completely unreasonable, and illogical in everywhere, making it totally out of character. It seems as though after seven seasons the writers are now completely unable to shock us anymore without being totally contrived and/or completely betraying the character.

• mags says:

Brandy, you are right in that House’s behavior was illogical. It was out of character, and was designed to shock.

• Dey says:

I couldn’t have said it better if I tried!

• Brandon says:

Although I do agree with you, it’s nice to see House cater to his true, deep emotions for once. Yes, he is self-centered, selfish, and narcissistic, but he doesn’t acknowledge his true feelings. He either hides them with vicodin, or cases, or other crap. It took him breaking out of his little bubble of logical reasoning to feel better about his self; projecting his emotional pain. Not to mention it leaves a great cliffhanger that makes me dying for the new season :P

• aj says:

Although I do agree that it was out of character for House to lash out in such a way, the other characters were basically begging him to show his true emotions. If you rewatch the episode, there’s a scene where he shoves Cuddy “provokes” him, for lack of a better term, and causes him to push her up against the wall. Wilson also asks him to express himself prior to the crash. So although it was out of character, it was incorporated well. Now that I think about it, I can see that as one of the overall themes for this episode.

• aj says:

**If you rewatch the episode, there’s a scene where Cuddy “provokes” him, for lack of a better term, and causes him to push her up against the wall.

• Adam says:

Yes, the theme for House has been his worship of reason and truth, but emotions, and powerful ones at that are just the exact opposite of reasonable, the are extremely UNreasonable for the most part. The past two seasons the writers have been trying to make House more human by him trying to have relationships with others, to see the love of his life with another man, that was an emotional blow that House could not take

• mags says:

I agree with you John. It doesn’t matter what David Shore is saying now, House could have easily killed someone. Even if it appeared they were leaving the room, someone could have still been in there.

• Ariella says:

Wow. I guess DS really is that CLUELESS. Or ARROGANT.
          Time to wake up and smell the coffee: You messed up BIG TIME, and no amount of rationalizing or equivocating can fix that.
          It’s unfortunate that the one thing which MIGHT help redeem House (genuinely asking Cuddy for forgiveness) isn’t going to happen; they let LE go.
          Well congratulations on thoroughly trashing a once great character and show. There’s really no way back, but keep patronizing viewers, critics, columnists etc. That’ll set things right. And I’m sure Emmy voters will appreciate it too.

• Lois says:

David Shore is arrogant. He is trying to tell the audience that they didn’t see what they saw. He’s trying to cover for his HUGE MISTAKE in having House drive into Cuddy’s house. For Shore to maintain that House knew no one was in the room is ridiculous. House couldn’t have known for sure that no one was in the room just because he saw some people getting up from the table and appearing to leave the room.

• HAWK says:

It was a stupid and criminal act. Hard to see how anything worthwhile can be made out of it. Series was the best on TV but has deteriorated into shlock and sensationalism.

• jojocap says:

I agree this was pretty risky. But I also think it was important to show the extent of the rage House felt. It wasn’t just the rejection by Cuddy; it was House trying to free himself-and Cuddy and Wilson-of this codependant mess they were all in. He kind of broke the ties, for once and for all. In his warped way, he was indeed trying to move on….and force them to do the same. I think we’ll find it interesting how they both fare without House. Of course the Cuddy think is moot-if E.D. is moving on they’ll have to create some more fiction around her, initially.

What really interts me is that even that level of rage over trying to be ‘normal’ with Cuddy should not have made House forget there was, or might be, a child in that house. That seems like a taboo he’d never break-but he did. Of coures, he may have assumed with a guy over, Cuddy would’ve sent her to Arlene’s.

I never thought it was attempted murder; I saw it totally as an ‘I’ve had it’ sort of statement by House, right or wrong. What I’d like to see is if this frees him from Vicodin and if his pain goes away-?? This is a level of rage he’s been carrying forever that finally got out.

• Margo says:

Cuddy didn’t have a guy over-she was having a dinner party. Since her sister has kids House might have assumed they were there too but he just couldn’t see them.
          I don’t want to watch a show about a guy with that level of rage as the hero. I want to watch a show about a flawed genius who solves medical mysteries, which is what the show is supposed to be about.

• Nikki says:

Yes she was on a double date with her sister, she met the guy earlier in the episode in the coffee shop. Remember! It shows a man at his breaking point I’m interested to see where it goes from here! I’m sad to see Cuddy go but it’ll be interesting to see House try to get out of this!

• Brandon says:

Cuddy did have a guy over, the gentleman her sister tried to hook her up with. And the show isn’t about a hero, its about a pissed off, selfish, arrogant, emotionally unstable, genius who saves lives, but isn’t your typical ‘perfect lovable doctor’. It’s been that way since day one. And that’s not his ‘level of rage’. He reached his breaking point, his tolerance level. If that were his level of rage, he would act out that outlandishly all the time. But he doesn’t. Well, not that extreme. House has always been the flawed genius you want to see, but you have to realize his flaws, major one being emotional instability.

• Jodi says:

I totally understand what House was doing. Unfortunately, people in mental and / or physical pain either hurt themselves or hurt the ones they love. I get it but I don’t like it.

• Gary says:

He doesn’t seem to understand that it isn’t even about whether or not he wanted to kill Cuddy (or anyone else in the house, or even Wilson) it was about the fact that he could have killed any of those people with a violently destructive act.

In my opinion, it took House too far. He has always been flawed, selfish, and hurt people with his actions, but this took it to a different level.

• Shellie says:

I completely agree. He used the car as a deadly weapon so in real life he would go to jail. House has always been that lovely flawed character but they took it way too far this time. They took the story beyond where it should have gone in the name of ratings. I am personally checking out for good and will no longer watch. They need to stick to the medical stories and not destroying their characters.

• lipsticksocialism says:

agree agree agree. house crossed the line for good. it’s finally time for me to check out. au revoir, house.

• Seawolfdon says:

I’m with you. I’m outa here. This show has gone way too far over the edge. Not gonna miss it.

• houseisalouse says:

house show used to be good. now it has gone over the edge and loosing cuddy is not gonna help the shows ratings any. so far, lost amber, now cuddy, kutner, etc too many coming and going makes the show instable. the genuis i once loved has peaked out and is time for the program to go bye bye like sopranos did. just fade away folks.

• Brandy says:

I totally agree. House is my favorate fictional character of all time. I think everyone loves House for is tragic flaws, ascorbic witt, and self destructiveness. But he crossed a major line with this one. For the 1st time I felt myself not liking House, but more so, not liking the writers because really that was way out of character for House. House maybe irresponsible, and irreverant, but he is first and foremost, logical and practical. His “worship of reason above all else” has always been a running theme of the show. This stunt couldn’t be more illogical or unreasonable! After 7 seasons the writers just seem to be running out of ways to shock us without being utterly contrived, and or completely against character.

• mags says:

“self destructiveness”
          Yes, that is House! He would hurt himself and make Cuddy feel guilty. But driving his car into Cuddy’s house and possibly hurting someone is out of character.

• EJMP35 says:

Right! So, great, no one was killed. I hope the writers think about how Cuddy’s kid is going to be seriously frightened by this. Nightmares, not trusting people, and all that.

• Ines says:

Agree, no changes. It’s the same rubish Shore said on past interviews.
      But I do wonder if these so-called explanations aren’t imposed by the network. With the bad reactions from the fans, how is this going to affect the show’s future? Will the network compromise to a show whose creator (who by the way is a lawyer) is clearly delusional?

• Lois says:

Shore’s a lawyer? And he thinks that House not intending to kill anyone makes it OK? No wonder why he left law to become a TV writer. His knowledge of the law stinks.

• lipsticksocialism says:

this!

• Kim in California says:

He’s a Canadian lawyer. Apparently driving into someone’s dining room while the house is occupied isn’t attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon in his neck of the woods. Here’s a clue David, it is in Jersey.

• sallie says:

I wish there was a way for Cuddy not to leave the show. The chemistry between her and House and her and Wilson is dynamic. Anyone that replaces her will only be second best. She kind of carried the show as far as I’m concerned. I love the rest of the cast but I will really miss Cuddy. I just hope the show can continue to hold my attention with the new plots and characters that Shore has planned.

• Kim in California says:

I agree. If you have to explain it to a large percentage of your fan base, then you screwed the pooch, it didn’t work. Either the script, the direction or the editing was lousy because, even though Cuddy’s guests were leaving the room, Cuddy appeared to be clearing the table meaning she was still in the dining room when House turned around…we didn’t actually see an empty room (poor direction or editing.)

David Shore screwed up with this ending. He keeps explaining it away all over Hollywood to any intervierwer who will listen and yet the majority of the people who watch don’t read articles about televsion show finales. Those people don’t have the benefit of Davide Shore throwing himself on his sword and crying out, “He wasn’t homicidal!” Those fans went away (some permanently) believing that House had intended or could have negligently hurt someone in that house, including possibly a little girl (who we don’t know is not there until the cops talk to Cuddy.)

This finale really sucked the big one.

• Nolongerafan says:

Agree. They took a character I loved and made him reprehensible to me. I have no more sympa.thy for the writers. They ruined a perfectly good season by trying to be shocking.

Screw you Shore

• Dan says:

I thought it would be obvious to all the “Huddy” fans out there. that he was Heartbroken again when she stated she wasnt seeing anyone, so he was trying to get back into her life by returning her brush. Only then to be lied to/stabbed in the back when he see’s her new date buddy having coffee with her & her sister, so in typical House fashion retorted with what i saw coming a mile off! :)

It will be sad to see Cuddy go, because she was just as much part of the show as House Himself, but life does go on & so must the show! Hopefully it will keep the show dynamic & fresh as there is only so many different stories that can come out of a small team without it becoming boring.

Roll on season 8!! :)

2. AJ says:

• Paige says:

I agree. They are responsible for making what they want us to see come across well on the television. They failed at that. They know they made a mistake.

• Misha says:

But you see, showing and not telling requires WORK. They don’t even want to bother doing that anymore.

• Brian says:

It’s not back-pedaling if they didn’t think the audience would jump to that conclusion. It’s like the last episode of Lost showing the island set of the crash afterwards and people getting confused by the ending.
      The question is, will they address this in the show now that it’s been pointed out? I hope so because I could see people tuning out if they think he was attempting to murder her.

• AJ says:

We’ll have to disagree there. The shots of plane debris on the island were added by ABC, unbeknownst to the show’s creative team. Shore & co., until proven otherwise, had full creative control over the way they ended this season of House. They just lacked foresight into what the audience would see. Now they’re trying to talk it into something that was simply not to be found on-screen, and it’s every viewer’s prerogative whether they buy into these explanations or not.

• Reality says:

“If you have to explain it, you failed at your job. Rule #1: Show, don’t tell. This now reeks of back-pedalling.”

Or maybe you need to be spoon feed your answers where some of us don’t and realized he wasn’t trying to kill her or *GASP* we would get more information in the Season 8 premier….like any other cliff hanger to end a season.

• AJ says:

That’s nice, nice repartee there, brava. Look, he drove his car into a freaking house, with the knowledge people were in that house. If believing there was no intent to harm makes it more acceptable to you, that’s lovely, I’m glad you’re enjoying the ‘character development.’

• Emgee says:

Well reasoned, Reality.

But there’s no use trying to explain things like that to “fans” who think they are entitled to everything exactly the way they want it.

• timshel says:

Yup. So very true Emgee. If only I lived in a world where every thing was exactly the way I wanted it to be. Most importantly, fictional world of television. Sigh, can can dream right?

• Emgee says:

And for that reason, I demand that next season, House has a completely healed leg and all of a sudden, his other leg goes bad. I don’t just want it. I DEMAND IT. I am ENTITLED to it.
            LOL.

• wtfisthisshow says:

Precisely.

• Lois says:

I haven’t read any poster saying that House “intended” to kill Cuddy. What they are saying is that reckless behavior like that could have easily caused someone to die or be seriously injured. And that violent behavior like that towards someone you love is domestic violence. People are also commenting that what House did is out of character.
        We don’t “need to be spoon feed…answers” as we don’t have any questions. We are just commenting on what we saw. It wasn’t a “cliffhanger” as we actually saw House’s actions. If he had started driving towards the house and then they cut the picture, it would have been a cliffhanger.
        I’m glad you had no problem with House’s actions, but that doesn’t make you superior to those of us who did have problems with his actions. It just means we have different opinions.

• Sally says:

Agreed.

• mags says:

Yup. If Shore has to explain that it appeared different to the audience than what they intended, then Shore & comapny didn’t do their job.

3. Jamie says:

Will Jesse Spencer be back next season????

4. Paige says:

… That doesn’t change anything whatsoever.

What a weak explanation. lol Wow.

• Alicia says:

Exactly. David “Vehicular Assault is Inevitable” Shore just needs to stop and quit while he’s behind. He’s actually making himself look worse, as unbelievable as that is.
      There is NO justifying what House did. PERIOD. There’s no “he was aiming for the house, not the people,” there’s no “House wasn’t trying to physically hurt her.”
      What the f-ck is Shore’s damage? The whole situation is F-CKED UP. Is Shore so deranged that he can’t see that? How much of a misogynist is he?? Just a little–like he regularly throws around the word bitch; or majorly–like he circulates a woman-hating manifesto? Otherwise, how else could this storyline come to fruition? What kind of ass-backwards “group think” mentality is going on over there?
      There’s nothing defensible about a person violently and intentionally crashing their car into someone’s home.
      The fact that DS believes it was a “natural progression” of the plot is disturbing.
      The fact that DS thinks House needed to “stick it” to Cuddy is disgusting.
      The fact that DS has no remorse over such an egregious mistake is ditressing. Because that means House MD as we knew it is assuredly over.
      House is dead. And David Shore is sick.

5. Lelinor09 says:

Doesn’t matter what David Shore says, the show House is ruined and will never be the same for lots of fans. He might as well have killed her! RIP Cuddy

• Amanda says:

It doesn’t matter that they were getting up from the table. Any of them could have very easily stepped back in there for numerous reasons.

• solo1861 says:

Exactly. Or Rachel could have been in the room, or one of Julia’s kid…
        They messed up, now they have to fix it.
        I don’t see how they can do it, but I will tune in for the season premier. Even if doing it without Cuddy seem to be infeasible.
        And I won’t keep watching if they just avoid the issue.

• Liz says:

This show is not Cuddy MD. It will do very well without her. As long as House is there, most of us out there will love House MD. Speak for yourself, Cuddy fan.

• Joan says:

So its not called Cuddy M.D., what a witticism this seems to be for folks who don’t like Cuddy. As most reviewers and many many fans have said, the dynamics of the show without Cuddy are going to be hurt, not helped. The fact that House can never seem to be allowed to grow and have a bit of positive change in his life is a real problem for viewers who would appreciate a bit of character development over 7+ years. If you are delighted at the prospect of House as a remorseless misanthropic jerk, then do enjoy! And I say this as a huge fan of Hugh Laurie and also Lisa/Cuddy. IN the words of Matt Roush, this is a body blow and they are going to continue losing fans, its not going to be ‘fine’.

• Mara says:

Sure! Of course the most loyal and rational house fans are staying Liz and 50 more fans with the friends and family of the remaining crew – that’s a lot! Enjoy the show. Do as you please, House needs at least 200 viewers to stay on air until season 15.

6. Laura says:

Again? If you don’t want to kill your ex-girlfriend or her little girl,you don’t crash your car into her house.

7. Misha says:

Yes, and we’re all stupid enough to believe David Shore and whatever comes out of his mouth. He may not have planned on killing her, but he could have and that’s the point. He didn’t and couldn’t see if Rachel was in the room (even though they said she was with Cuddy’s mother, House didn’t know that) and he couldn’t see if anybody was coming back into the room at the speed and angle he was driving. In the end, somebody could have gotten killed, or at the very least, seriously injured. Shore needs to learn to accept that episode was poorly written and it didn’t go off as well as he expected it to. Learn from it and maybe your ratings won’t be in the toilet.

• Nathalie says:

THIS! I can’t believe everyone involved in making House went along with the “Oh, this is just House lashing out, in his own wacky way”. House was always reckless with himself and sometimes with his patients (but there was always a logic behind it – the outcome was potentially desastrous, but ususally the only way to have a possibly positive outcome, too). This wasn’t being reckless, or gutsy, this was homicidal. The writers did not show us House learning Rachel wasn’t in the house, so as far as we know, he didn’t know and he couldn’t confirm just by looking through a window that she wasn’t sitting on the floor playing. The writers might think they showed us everyone getting up from the table, but to me that in no way assures House that everyone was out of harm’s way. People get up, put the dishes in the kitchen and come back to set the table for dessert/cheese/whatever all the time. This particular plot is a major fail, the writers botched it and they should own up to it. Either work that into next season (House goes to prison, for instance, and gets off on a technicality – let’s be realistic, the show can’t go on with House in prison) or I’m getting off here. There’s only so much suspended disbelief I can work up. If the writers don’t have anywhere LOGICAL for the characters to go, they should just end the show.

• Keir says:

It’s been mentioned in an episode that Cuddy has nephews – all of the children could’ve been under the window playing.

I agree it was not made absolutely clear that nobody was in the room. If, for example, House had gone round to Cuddy’s and saw her leave the house with everyone, children included (or else Rachel could’ve still been at home with the nanny while the grownups went out), *then* it would’ve made it clear nobody was at home. But it still wouldn’t make what he did (did from David Shore’s perspective) any less disgusting and violent.

David Shore is an idiot and he thinks we are too.

Either they messed up the continuity or there may be a twist coming up (*yawn*): when he crashed into the house it was daylight, yet when the police were there it was night. If there’s no twist, and no continuity error, the police and fire dept took AGES to arrive, or something different really happened.

The way the cop was talking to Cuddy was how a cop might talk to a battered wife – Cuddy said something like “If you’re asking if I want to press charges, then yes.” On one hand it might just be to keep us guessing at the start of the ep, but otherwise maybe something different happened. But we will never see for ourselves because LE had the good sense to quit.

• Nathalie says:

Totally! The way David Shore speaks, it’s as if it’s OK, he didn’t INTEND to kill her, but since this is House and he’s crasy and irresponsible, the potential consequences of his actions don’t matter. Hmph! What a load! They’ve shown on many occasions the repercussions of Cuddy being a mom, what it means for her as a professional and in her personal life, too. This was one instance where they cannot show us the lead character intentionnaly crashing is car into the house Rachel lives in and expect us to write it off as House just being House. A couple of years ago, a little girl in my area was killed in her own backyard when a car went off the road and crashed into her. I’m a mom and I don’t get so easily offended by House’s antics, but this one is not just reckless, it’s criminal and I don’t really want to watch THAT show.

8. Sheri says:

Fail.

9. Polly says:

and that’s all for “denial of reality”, stay tuned for another episode!

10. rp says:

That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Edelstein was smart to leave, TPTB have made this show a total joke.

11. Craig says:

It strained credibility before how people put up with House and his horiffic behavior to others. This last act – sorry. He would be fired and for them to just to back like normal is even more absurd.

• Paige says:

I was just thinking about this! He would be arrested for this, too, as a matter of fact. And how he would get outta this one is beyond me. IF they’re going to be realistic… Ah, who am I kidding, they won’t be realistic about this. :P

12. XK says:

I don’t think continued denials are going to have any impact at all, honestly. People’s reactions are what they are, and I don’t think anyone will read this and say ‘oh ok… that House… such a wacky guy!’

To say that House saw Cuddy and Co. leaving the room does not in any way mean that driving a car into that room will not potentially cause someone’s death. What if he took out a load-bearing wall? What if someone walked back into the room just then? What if flying debris hit someone anyway?

It took a number of seasons, but they finally did make House irredeemable.

13. Gerald says:

House had no way of knowing, intoxicated and driving with speed, whether anyone was left in that room when the car went through. More importantly, Cuddy’s daughter could have easily been standing in the dining room and would have been out of the line of sight. It was reckless, dangerous, criminal, and any police officer would have arrested him for attempted manslaughter.

• Kim R says:

I agree completely. Unless this was a dream…there is no credible way House can continue to practice medicine or walk free for that matter. We, the viewers, are not idiots. House raced toward the house & had no way of knowing if the room was empty or not. At the least someone could have been seriously injured & at the worst, killed. It doesn’t matter what DS says, we all watched the episode. We saw what happened. I am wondering if they are going to start the next season with House unconscious in the car, not having walking away at all & the beach scene was in his altered state. Either way, he still drove his car into an occupied house. So stupid. Badly done PTB! :(

14. gabriela M says:

I feel like it still is in the land of violence against women. What about the fact that Cuddy has a small child? He wouldn’t have been able to see Rachel. And the scene doesn’t clearly show them leaving. Someone could’ve been back by then. And what about his reckless endangerment of his BEST FRIEND? I don’t even know.

• Keir says:

House not being a bad guy in David Shore’s eyes because he “only” wanted to destroy the front of his ex’s house… “in the land of violence against women” is exactly it.

15. Sam says:

This is the same as the Gossip Girl Chuck/Blair abuse situation. If you have to come out and explain to your audience how they were supposed to interrupt your show, you’re obviously failing to do your job properly.

• @Sam says:

I think you mean “interpret your show”. Shore still gets to determine how the show is interrupted.

16. Irene says:

Shore, if you don’t like this show anymore and you don’t care about your own fans and their opinions YOU should move on.

17. Bonnie says:

David Shore had a good thing and neglected it until its death rattle. Now he’s trying to prop it up for the episodes he’s contracted to complete. Too bad nobody with a brain cell working will be there watching.

18. Steph says:

Oh and when people leave one room in their home they can never pop back in a second later, right? And kids never play on the floor. How would House know Rachel was not in the room? This excuse that if you look closely enough they were leaving the room is so ridiculously lame. What about the millions and millions of viewers not reading Shore’s preposterous explanation? Domestic violence isn’t just physical, and this certainly struck an emotional blow. Shore sounds like House’s attorney, which is rather fitting. I don’t buy this pathetic attempt at damage control.

19. Melissa says:

Has Jesse Spencer still not signed for the next season of House?

20. J says:

it’s a tv show people….it is what it is. i’ll watch next season to see how they play it out. just because you don’t like one episode doesn’t mean the entire show is ruined.

• khaira says:

Well said, one episode does not represent the show people.

• Eurydice says:

Well, this isn’t about a bad episode. It’s about the main character of the show becoming somebody else. Basically, the audience has been an enabler for House, putting up with his behavior because he’s interesting or amusing or entertaining or sympathetic or a worthwhile human being under all the psychological problems. But if the audience discovers that he’s none of those things, that he’s never going to get better, that he’ll only become more and more destructive, then they’ll face the choice all enablers do – keep getting beaten up or cut him loose and let him fend for himself.

• Fiona says:

Yes so this! Remember when Dr. House was smart, powerful and funny? Can I have those days back?

• Margo says:

I fell in love with the show because House was brilliant, funny and sarcastic. I loved the medical mysteries, and how the personal stuff was always second to the mysteries. I would also like those days back.

• jmacd41 says:

House has lost his right to our sympathy or support. This tortured genius has become a madman destined to kill someone, and probably not himself. This is no longer entertainment…he should be jailed and lose his license. I no longer admire his intelligence; I pity him for the broken man that he is.

I have no interest UNLESS, of course, it was all a DREAM! How desperate is DS at this point?

• solo1861 says:

It’s not just about a lousy episode, it’s about who Gregory House is. He has always been an arrogant, know it all, selfish, auto-destructive jerk but he use to be a good guy too. And clearly they took that part away.
      When they don’t care enough about the show to remember House’s birthday, it bad but it’s not important. In the end it doesn’t change who he is. But this does. Shore can proclaim all he want that House didn’t want to hurt anyone but truth is he didn’t care: just look at the scene on the beach. And I’m not sure I don’t think I’m interested in following that kind of guy every week.

• Aaron says:

Exactly! It feels like the last few seasons have just been a downward spiral trying to re-hash the drug-addicted, depressed, self-loathing character. I just keep watching hoping that it will go back to the witty, humorous, and show actual growth in the character. The writers have made it apparent their more interested going for shock value than entertainment. It used to be fun to watch, but not anymore.

• Sally says:

Totally agree! I’m looking forward to the new Cuddy-free season. The finale was a lot better than the entire first part of the season.

21. zhaquiri says:

Wow. I saw the episode. It was clear in House’s face that he only wanted to do what Shore said he did. “Zomg, he trying killing hurr” was not the reaction Shore was fishing for; as evidenced by Wilson’s non-reaction. If he (Shore) meant for that scene to be interpreted as House “trying to kill Cuddy,” Wilson would have *immediately* ran inside to check.

To those complaining, I’m not sure this show’s for you.

• Kim R says:

You felt Wilson had a “non” reaction. I took it that he was in utter shock….not believing what he just witnessed. I think it was a perfect reaction myself. :)

• Sally says:

Wilson is a doctor, he’s used to seeing incredible stuff (and he’s used to House’s extreme behaviour). I highly doubt that he was in shock.

• majamababe says:

I agree with you. The show is what it is – let the writers do their thing. If you don’t like it, don’t watch. If you don’t watch, then you don’t have an opinion so don’t post. It’s just that simple.

• Eurydice says:

Now, now, if people weren’t allowed to have negative opinions then sites like this would disappear. In any case, I don’t think Shore would agree with your advice, otherwise he wouldn’t be trying to convince people they didn’t see what they thought they saw.

• Aurore says:

Yeah!
      Problem is if every one having a problem with the final stop watching, Fox would probably stop broadcasting it because the audience would be too low. So…may be you want to rethink your judgment.
      And Wilson reaction doesn’t prove anything, he was shocked. Cuddy didn’t do anything to House when he got out of the car either. Do you think it’s because she doesn’t care?
      Just because Shore says so, it doesn’t mean we have to stop using our brains.

22. allie D says:

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I never thought our “hero” was trying to kill Cuddy. But thank god the last scene was on a beach, because that was an incredibly dark episode and seeing the beach made me calmer. I wonder how that episode would have played if we hadn’t just gotten the news that Lisa E was leaving. I know I was watching the entire episode feeling impending doom. Maybe that’s why fans were so ready to believe he was trying to kill. her.

Still love the show. even when it breaks my heart.

• Irene says:

I don’t think he was trying to kill her but he could have killed her or Rachel. He couldn’t know if they weren’t there for sure.
      I agree, the fact that we knew that Lisa was leaving before we watched the episode made us don’t like it even more. That’s totally true. And we all know they didn’t know it when they wrote it but we have the right to be mad! They say ratings don’t lie and they started dropping after Bombshells. The ratings of the show without Lisa are going to suck so much.

23. Tiffany says:

Why can’t they just admit that House has been dreaming since Bombshells? That way we could spend the summer rewatching the episodes so we can analyze and interpret his dream.

24. Eurydice says:

“And so, members of the jury, while my client was clearly crazy and visceral and irresponsible and dangerous, and clearly gratified by and unrepentant for hurting Dr. Cuddy and striking a blow against her world, he had no intention of actually murdering her.” Yep, that’ll go well.

25. cora says:

give up, Shore. your words doesn’t work anymore. it’s a really shame, ’cause i used to love this show!

26. Kathy Bergeron says:

I agree with the majority here. I have tried very hard to “hang in” with this series because I have watched it since the very beginning, but the finale may have been the last straw for me. I have put up with House’s abusive personality, but this crossed into homicidal behavior (no matter what back-pedaling Shore is doing now) and enough truly is enough. It isn’t “quirky” and you just cannot justify the character’s behavior any longer as being okay “because he is so brilliant.” He is a sick and pathetic person who clearly should not and, in all reality WOULD NOT, be allowed to practice medicine.

27. Elle says:

…because people never walk back into rooms? House could not have known that the room was empty, period. If they expected the audience to think otherwise, then they did a terrible job of conveying that message.(Also, how the heck did he not get injured?)

28. Zilly says:

I call BS! It was NOT clear that they were “leaving” that room in the one second shot. MORE IMPORTANTLY . . . she had a 4 year-old in that house, how could he have seen or not seen her in that room. Completely insane finale. I’m so breaking up with this show.

29. Jenny says:

I think the point is that he did try to show, which Cuddy and Co. leaving the room, and the audience didn’t get it, so now he’s explaining. Doesn’t sound like back-pedaling, it just sounds like he was too subtle.

• Claudia says:

Even so, what House did was absolutely inexcusable. Even if he didn’t actually intend to kill anyone, he might well have, he gladly took that risk and didn’t even feel any remorse for what he’d done afterwards, and that makes him absolutely irredeemable.

30. vicpei says:

Telling it again and again won’t change what we have seen. He may stick to his story, but we stick to the episode.
    I agree it was not what he wanted to show , but they failed big time to show it. ANd ruined the character.
    So Shore will stick to it alone very quickly, if he keeps on this way.If he changes his mind and sits on his ego, maybe people will tune back in to watch.

31. Dani says:

Whether he intended to kill her or not is immaterial. The reason you don’t run a car into a house is the same reason you teach kids not to run around with scissors. The potential to do harm is there. Honestly this is the lamest excuse I’ve ever heard. You sure do have an active imagination Mr Shore- it’s just a shame it’s not put to it’s right and proper use anymore.

32. iczorro says:

Anyone that actually believed he was trying to physically hurt people is an idiot, and/or has not actually watched the show enough to discern the character of the lead role.

• Eurydice says:

There’s a third possibility, that viewers are taking House’s behavior to its logical conclusion. In all these years there hasn’t been a single episode in which House hasn’t tried to hurt somebody in some way, and there have been several times when his intentional mind games have led to physical damage. Now, considering that House isn’t getting more mentally stable, it’s not illogical to assume his behavior will get worse and that his destructiveness would go from mental to physical.

33. Nada says:

The easy way to explain House’s behavior (we know he’s not a murderer) is to admit that they’ve made a mistake with the scene.
    An empty house and fans would have been ok.

• Claudia says:

“An empty house and fans would have been ok.”

Erm, no, not really. He still would have destroyed someone’s home, the one place that person was supposed to feel safe. That is a horrible case of psychological abuse.

And IMO anyone who feels the need to ‘lash out’ by creating such immense destruction is just very sick and disturbed. More than that actually, it’s absolutely psychopathic behaviour.

• Nada says:

I know, but it would have been easier to watch with nobody in the house. It’s unbelievable that writers and producers didn’t think that fans would react so negatively with this scene.

• Claudia says:

Yeah, I guess. It still would have made him a psychopathic lunatic IMO (unless they’d made it to look like an attempted suicide the way Ruby suggests in the comment below, that could work, that actually would be forgivable for me), but at least not a murderous one, or one with absolutely NO regard for the lives of other people, in any case.

I know! It’s just absolutely baffling.

• Ruby says:

At least him crashing into what he knew, for certain, was an empty house could have been passed out as attempted suicide, which would have actually given the writers something to redeem House from. There’s no coming back from carelessly and deliberately plowing into a room that could’ve had a toddler running around in it. There just isn’t. That’s monstrous. At this point, Dexter Morgan has higher moral ground than House does, and he’s a friggin serial killer.

34. Chandra says:

Not for a single second did I believe House was trying to kill Cuddy or anyone else, he was doing what both Cuddy and Wilson had been taunting him to do, expressing his anger.

I’m sorry I kinda find it hard to believe that anyone who really knows House would have thought otherwise. Everyone in my family who watches the show got what David Shore said the story was, no back peddling necessary.

• Stefan says:

yeah, but you are missing the point. He did not know if this room was empty when he crashed the car in there with full speed. Rachel could have been there, everyone could have returned to the table.. HOUSE COULD NOT KNOW that the room was empty

The scene just went way overboard.. and Shore and everybody else involved with the show not seeing that is beyond me

• Chandra says:

Actually I think you miss the point and apparently don’t get House at all. He’s a selfish, egotistical, arrogant jerk who thinks he know’s it all. He saw them leave the room (they showed this, I didn’t have to read an article to have it pointed out to me cuz I pay attention) and knew they weren’t in there. He wasn’t thinking rationally, but he was totally in character and made a House decision. He wasn’t trying to kill anyone, if he had it would have been accidental. His state of mind was to cause Cuddy pain, not kill her. THAT’S the point.

• Stefan says:

No it is not, because he simply couldnt know that the room was empty… for heavens sack – Rachel could have played hide and seek with a friend or just randomly ran through the room – he simply couldnt know. Yes, House has always been a jerk, but risking the lifes of Cuddy, her daughter, her sister and their dates? sorry but thats just not okay anymore..

• timshel says:

Well you simply couldn’t know that anyone was in the room or was anywhere near it. Or what the intent of House was or wasn’t. It’s crazy speculation into one scene, without having the facts to back it up. People really need to allow themselves to watch next season and see how they handle this storyline. Then, if you are still not satisfied, take a damn hike and watch something else. Simple as that.

• Chandra says:

It may not be ok to you, but the question is; was it within House’s character? The answer is yes, so the writer’s were true to his character. I’m sorry you don’t like it or see it the same way.

• Matt says:

Chandra, you don’t get the point. It’s not that he intended to kill anyone. Shore and you are trying to say that’s the issue people have. It’s not. No one has said that. The point is that he could’ve killed many innocent people and even one is too much. The point is he was carefree afterwards showing no remorse. You’re arguing a point no one is trying to argue and then calling everyone irrational and implying they were stupid and just don’t get it. But everyone here is being perfectly rational and no one but the few on here trying to agree with Shore are saying anything about House intending to murder. The point is they went too far with House this time. They won’t admit it which makes them look weak and their rationalizations are lame ones like, “he saw everyone left the room.” BTW, I watched the scene a bit ago and they hadn’t even left the room yet from the viewers’ standpoint and someone was still sitting. So taking out the trajectory, the speed, House’s emotional state, what he said is incorrect and besides that, the point is people could’ve died and been seriously injured. House just got lucky. And then it was topped off by him going to a beach and being content. They messed up House and “House” big time with this. It’s a shame.

• Chandra says:

*sigh*

Lot’s of people have said the issue they had was that he intended or could of killed people. That’s not presupposing anything, that’s me taking people at their word that when they say “the problem with this is…” that it’s what they mean.

I am not rationalizing what he did or the potential consequences of his actions. I’m not saying what he did was ok or right or moral or shouldn’t have consequences. What I am saying is; I don’t get why people think the show is ruined because House did what he did. What he did was lash out in anger and pain and hurt, exactly like he’s done for 7 years now. What he did could not be more in his character if he tried. Cuddy broke his heart AFTER House warned her what would happen if she broke up with him. He straight up told her she would wake up one day and realize he’s still House and break up with him and he couldn’t handle that. She promised him that wouldn’t happen, and it did. THEN to top it off, in her arrogance she’s been pushing him to deal with somn he did not want to take out on her. Wilson and Cuddy effectively backed him into an emotional corner. If they have shown us anything over 7 years it’s that when push comes to shove, House will do whatever it takes to alleviate his pain. Vicodin isn’t working anymore, what do you expect? He pushes boundaries, his morals are gray at best. He did what it took to take away the pain and it did, he feels better, again a very House thing to do. He’s not a freaking knight in shining armor. He’s selfish, arrogant and completely egotistical, of course he’s not going to feel remorse, Cuddy broke his heart. If YOU see him any other way then you don’t get House. THAT’S my point, and I stand behind it. I don’t see personally how anyone who gets House could think this ruined the show, because truly this season has been the most fascinating and probably my favorite. This season end was only further proof that the acting and writing continue to get better and more complex.

• Jack says:

Chandra, you mean could *have killed people?

The show is ruined if people hate House, the main character on the show, and don’t want to watch him anymore because they don’t care about him and/or find him completely despicable after what he did in the final finale moments. And apparently many people do. For them, the show is indeed ruined. For people like you everything’s fine.

What I see people saying here is that he could’ve killed not that he intended to kill. You basically just dismissed everyone’s concerns and insinuated they aren’t as super clever as you are to not see how this was all really okay for the show and the character. As you can see the vast majority on here saw something very wrong with it and David Shore saying he didn’t mean to kill anyone didn’t do a lick of good. But if it makes you feel superior to brush people’s valid thoughts aside and infer they are just morons and make arguments that aren’t changing anyone’s mind because they aren’t addressing the issue, go crazy. No skin off my nose. It’s not my show and I have nothing to lose. ;)

• Lois says:

@Chandra,
          House may be “a selfish, egotistical, arrogant jerk” but not a psychopath. Driving a car into an occupied house is beyond anything we’ve seen him do, or been led to believe he was capable of. We ALL saw them appearing to walk out the door, but that doesn’t insure that no one was in the room. If House had hit a support beam he could have destroyed more of the house than just that room, so it wasn’t even necessary for anyone to be in the room to potentially harm someone.

• Wendy says:

Isn’t everyone over-thinking a TV show?? It’s not reality for goodness sake, it’s fiction! House had yet to hit “rock bottom” and with the last episode, he finally did. He let go of all the anger that has been built up, I understood that completely when I watched the episode. Never once did I think ” Oh oh a child was playing under the window” or “what if someone came back for a dish?”. TV is entertainment and I was totally entertained by House’s action. My mouth was agape and I was in total shock. It was awesome. Please don’t over-analyze television shows, it ruins it for all who will remain faithful viewers. Sad Cuddy is leaving, but it opens up so many more new avenues for the writers. Love him or hate him, it’s your choice. Trying to rationalize an irrational action makes no sense and House will be House, thank God!

• timshel says:

Yes, Chandra! Absolutely yes. Couldn’t agree more. I’m floored by the number of posters who clearly didn’t get it. It’s exactly what they wanted him to do(though not in the way they wanted, and was expressed in a way that was absolutely suited to who House is and has always been. It’s the natural progression that I knew would happen one day.
      Bravo to David Shore for doing whatever the eff he wants with his show. Don’t worry, plenty of us got it and didn’t need it explained or justified. Looking forward to more House greatness come season 8.

• Claudia says:

We don’t need it explained or justified either. That’s just what David Shore in his arrogance seems to think we need. We understand *exactly* what happened and why, we just think it’s absolutely repulsive and completely unforgivable, and completely out-of-character for a man who has always been a misanthropic rude bastard, but who was never a violent and remorseless psychopath. That is simply NOT as he has been written in the past. On the contrary.
        What House did is just completely unforgivable, no matter how David Shore tries to spin it.

35. Karen says:

If DS needs to explain what they were trying to do, it missed it’s mark. He may not have intended to kill but he could have. Is that suppose to make me feel better?

36. Ted says:

I’ve watched this show loyally for years. I end up buying most episodes in iTunes and have box sets of seasons 1-6. That last episode, though, just killed it. It was a pathetic send-off for Edelstein and a horrible turn for the characters. I’m sentencing House to at least a year off my list for reckless endangerment. It’s going to take a lot for me to commute that sentence – I’d swear I saw a shark on the lawn in that last scene. House sure has jumped one.

37. Mikey says:

Really?? I’m still trying to figure out how they’ll be able to do the next season. Whether House attempted to kill Cuddy or not, there have to be severe consequences (one of which would include his losing his job!) and unless they do the ‘dream’ cop-out, I can’t come up with a reasonable, believable story line! It’s been hard enough to watch the show with House’s increasing bitterness, anger, abuse towards his ‘team’ (and really, would any self-respecting MD put up with his behavior?) I hated the whole Huddy relationship & was glad when it ended and knew it wouldn’t be without drama (still working together? With his behaviors??) but the finale was a major bummer and quite disturbing….not to mention the scene on the beach? Really, he got away that quickly??

38. Aaron says:

House is OVER! I think this should have been the last season and this nonsense just smacks of a series out of ideas and running on fumes- Shore and his gang are now purely in this for the last few “paydays”.
    Just one avid fans opinion all others are welcome to express their own

39. DJ Doena says:

Hey, I can totally buy that House didn’t try to (physically) hurt or kill anyone.

Unfortunately, that’s not the point.

He didn’t run his car into Cuddy’s empty house while she was dining elsewhere. (The scene could have been easily rewritten that way)

He saw four people leaving the dining room, he went to his car, drove off, turned around and speeded into the house.

No matter his intentions there was no way he could make sure he wouldn’t hurt anyone. THAT’s the problem.

• Nada says:

I completely agree with you, they didn’t film the scene properly.
      Big mistake for such professionals.
      Cuddy, Rachel, and her guests could have been leave her house and House just arrived in the street at this moment and kaboom!

40. Ruby says:

Shore just doesn’t get it. It doesn’t matter if House was trying to kill Cuddy. The point is, he did something which easily could have killed her and several other people, including a toddler. THIS IS NOT OKAY. Many men who “lash out” in violence against their ex-girlfriends don’t mean to kill them – but then they do. It was domestic violence and attempted murder. That Shore and the writers keep trying to rationalize and justify this in 2011 is shocking, hateful and irresponsible, and that they’d make House do it, a character whose core premise has always been a “jerk who is compelled to do good despite his misanthropic tendencies,” is ruinously out-of-character. David Shore ought to be ashamed of himself.

• Eurydice says:

I’d say the ruin might be more severe. What seems to have happened is that House’s character has been taken to a point at which many viewers think it’s now in-character for House to try to murder somebody. I’m not sure how they can write themselves out of that dilemma. Maybe with groveling, repentance, forgiveness, incarceration, rehab, therapy, but they’ve already tried all that and House doesn’t get any better.

• Shi says:

THIS SO MUCH.

• AJ says:

Co-signed.

41. John M says:

Here’s the thing.

If you fired a gun into someone’s house in a fit of anger and your excuse was ‘Hey, I saw that they’d left the room in question so I drove up the street, came back and fired into the room, so I’m not really guilty of anything REALLY murderous…’ well, I’m pretty sure the police who came to take you away and fitted you for that nice white jacket with straps, wouldn’t give a flying hoot about the ‘supposed’ reasoning you weren’t trying to kill the residents.

It sounds to me like Shore is acting like a lawyer, not a show-runner.

42. Debbie G says:

I was disappointed. Sorry, but anyone could have walked into that room while on his rampage. In reality, he should be charged with attempted manslaughter. I still like the show but that ending was a tough pill to swallow.

43. LadyA says:

Dear DS
    You ruined your show beyond repair. Nothing is left to salvage. House
    should spend the next years in prison for what he did, attempted-murder
    or not…
    And another thing, If you have to explain a storyline, it means you did it
    wrong…
    Thanks for ruining House !!

44. devon says:

no matter how he paints this picture, or how clearly he shows that Cuddy was not in the room, it doesn’t change the fundamental detriment that he has done to the character House and the show.
    I have so many thoughts, that I just can’t express adequately… but to sum it all up, domestic abuse is not fun or quirky or laughable in any way shape or form and there should be REAL consequences for this. But who cares, clearly David Shore doesn’t.

45. Wins says:

The point is not that he had murder on his mind, but he did not care if that could have been the net result. All the writers had to do is spend 30 seconds and put these words in a search engine. “Man runs car into exe’s house” The results list and footage would have told them how law enforcement and the world interpret this as attempted murder. DS is a lawyer for godness sake. He should have known better. It was really lame dramatization, and lazy. The show had enough striles against it the last two seasons without assasinating House’s character by accident. So now we have no Cuddy and no House= No House MD.

46. CurryFan says:

Dear all: The expression is BACKPEDALING. It comes from riding a bicycle. You pedal backwards when you want to reverse your direction (or, in some bikes, when you want to break). PEDDLE is the action of selling stuff on the streets or door to door. BACKPEDDLING doesn’t exist.

47. Eric says:

Shore & the writers don’t know where this show is going, and it does not matter. I don’t care about the characters or the stories or the patients of the week any more. Every week House does more random crazy crap than the last week while the rest of the team makes comments that only grandmas watching reruns of soaps all day are going to find clever.

You ever notice how many executive producers and writers are on this show? They’ve raped this show, bled it of anything resembling interesting characters and good story.

So while the House funhouse circus continues next season, I’ll be sitting back and catching up on “Breaking Bad” and “Sons of Anarchy”, reading books and blowing stuff up instead of letting premature hacks like David Shore throw crap onto my TV screen and see if I stick around.

48. Shi says:

Murderer or not, IT’S STILL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE! Instead of trying to pass it off as something benign, Shore should have owned up to his mistake and attempted to fix it.

49. Amy says:

I have never wanted to punch someone so badly in my entire life. What a cop-out. It’s not his intention that people are worried about, it’s who was possible, what could have happened. House has always been self-destructive, but this is no longer House. Who the hell knows who or what it is anymore.