Emmys

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Supporting Comedy Actress Race, Including Our Dream Nominees

Last year, the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series race was dominated — and we do mean dominated — by Glee, Modern Family and 30 Rock. This year looks to be a reprise of that contest unless a seeming underdog (Cougar Town or Community perhaps?) manages to pull off an Emmy breakthrough in awareness and respect – the kind that, say, How I Met Your Mother has been yearning for for so long. It can be daunting. Here’s how things look going into nomination season.

Emmy Races In Review: Lead Comedy Actor | Lead Comedy Actress | Comedy Series

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote for your own favorite six below. And check back Monday for our take on the Supporting Comedy Actor race!

TAGS:
GET MORE: Awards, Dream Emmy Nominees, Emmys, Lists

1. Carl says:

From Glee, only Jane Lynch deserves a nomination. And she doesn’t even deserve to win this year.

This should be Sofia Vergara’s, for the world to be in its right order.

2. Victoria says:

I cannot believe Lisa Edelstein from House isnt on this list after another fantastic season from her, and sadly not returning for an 8th season of House, Lisa deserves to go out with a bang!

Lisa is a fantastic actress at which i am shocked she hasn’t even been nominated for at least one season of House, in which season 5 she was absolutely superb!

She deserves an Emmy!!

3. Victoria says:

whoops posted this on the wrong voting poll. was meant for supporting drama actress.

4. sally says:

Where the heck is Naya Rivera? Rivera certainly deserves a nomination after her work on Glee this season

5. K says:

First of all I will say that I am kind of bias based on the fact that I am a hugh Gleek. I will admit there’s no way Jane Lynch should get this award. I enjoyed the show without her this season. The things that made her character awesome the first season were not there in the second season. I will say If anybody’s name should be on the list/nominated from Glee it should be Naya Rivera(surprise surprise), mainly because her acting is very good and she made the storyline she was given great and honestly her character along with Heather’s character carried the show this season (in a season that wasn’t that outstanding according to some viewers). All of that being said Naya and Heather still have things to learn so I wouldn’t be completely upset if they didn’t win. I do think Naya should be nominated but if she’s not I wouldn’t die. While Heather is very funny I don’t think she should win(that’s hard for me to say because I love her character)but it is true. As for the non-Glee actresses I would have to go with Sofia Vergara or Aubrey Plaza I love them and their characters! I could deal with either of them winning against the Glee actresses!

6. Nursultan says:

Naya Rivera did really great job at the episodes “Born this way” and “Sexy”. She is not only touching but also very very funny! She deserves to win.
    Sofia vergara was very good at season 2 premiere episode.
    Jane Lync was brilliant but writers didn’t give her a good storyline(((
    It was just the repeat of season 1(((

7. Juliana says:

Where’s Naya?? She was the best this year …

8. Becca says:

Definitely putting Naya in for ‘other’, though she should be mentioned here already! Her comedic timing and delivery this season was flawless, and her acting all around is certainly Emmy-worthy.

9. Muireann says:

Did these people not SEE Naya Rivera in the second half of season 2?! COME ON!

10. Anna says:

Lea Michele deserves the award this season. She has been amazing.

11. scsj says:

I’m having trouble understanding how Glee is even considered for these awards when its own fans admit readily that the writing and acting are shoddy. I don’t care how “fun” or “camp” or “easy” it’s supposed to be, it’s not well done and it doesn’t deserve a nomination.
    Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara, and Aubrey Plaza are my picks.

12. k says:

Kristen Wiig Soooo Muchhhh! I’m not saying this as someone who just saw “Bridesmaids” and has only just now stumbled across her amazing talent, I’ve been a fan of hers since Knocked-Up, I never really bothered with SNL on a week to week basis before watching Knocked-Up and immediately IMDBed her to find out what else she was in/on and when I found out she was a SNL cast member I became a loyal viewer. Her comedic talent is endless, she can really play any kind of character whether it be the nasty chick, the awkward girl, the over confident woman, etc and I like her impressions because although they are not necessarily uncanny they are exaggerated yet honest in the same instance, not many people can pull that off. I prefer that because so many times I’ve seen an impersonation skit where you can tell the actor/comedian it trying so hard to literally become said person instead of a variation and is just doesn’t consistently work throughout, you may see glimpses of that person but because of the inconsistency you are in no way convinced therefore in no way amused or impressed. With Kristen’s kind of approach, she is able to keep it consistent, amusing and impressive, in short; she genuinely knows how to make people laugh. Kristen Wiig For The Win :)

13. Milene says:

I think the nominations should be Heather Morris, Naya Rivera, Julie Bowen, Alison Hannigan and Sofia Vergara

14. D says:

Jenna Fischer’s always great on The Office so she gets a vote from me. But whoa, Naya Rivera’s not on the list? She was fantastic on Glee this season! Usually I don’t get worked up about TV shows, but her performance as Santana was incredibly moving. I really hope she gets a nomination!

15. Fabe says:

Alison Brie!!!! Aubrey Plaza!!!! Gillian Jacobs!!!! Rashida Jones!!!!

16. lauren says:

Gillian Jacobs, Alison Brie and Kristen Wiig.

17. Chelsealynn says:

kay really…Naya deserves a spot on here. what is this?!