Exclusive

NCIS: LA Exclusive: LL Cool J, Music Play Key Role In 'Powerful' Season 3 Episode

NCIS: Los Angeles will shed further light on Special Agent Sam Hanna’s murky past in a Season 3 episode that will tap into portrayer LL Cool J’s musical background.

“It is a very, very powerful episode, one that reveals something about [LL's] character,” executive producer Shane Brennan tells TVLine. “LL Cool J is excited about it, and he is going to be involved in the music for that episode. So that is something to look forward to.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS: LA, House, Supernatual and More

Brennan originally eyed the Sam-centric hour for Season 2, but kept it in the drawing board. Instead, he expects it to be among “the first three or four episodes” of the CBS hit’s third season.

The show boss did not elaborate on LL Cool J’s involvement in the music — will the Grammy-winning recording artist handpick the songs that are used to score scenes, or will he himself contribute tunes? (“Hanna Said Knock You Out,” anyone?) But when I spoke to LL prior to the NCIS spin-off’s launch, he laughed off the idea that he would ever rap as Sam. “No, no, no…,” he deferred. “I’m going to allow this to be a new chapter in my life.”

CBS’ Criminal Minds Welcomes Back Paget Brewster, Bids Farewell to Rachel Nichols

As previously scooped, another NCIS: LA agent getting a blast of backstory during the coming cycle will be Daniela Ruah’s Kensi Blye. “Next season we’ll focus on … the why and where of Kensi,” Brennan told me, hinting that the spilled secrets will rattle the “thing” she has simmering with Deeks. “When you reveal something about one character that the other doesn’t know, it puts pressure on the partnership,” Brennan explains. “It makes them ask questions.”

1. Marcie says:

Love this show and love these 2 characters, too. Can’t wait to learn more about them.

2. Lisa says:

Excellent show. Cannot wait for the new season ….

My personal choice for a “Sam” musical performance would be “Sam Needs Love” … hehehe

3. Renee says:

Oh good! Love Sam Hanna. Even the character name is “Cool”.

4. Chatty says:

“Ladies Love Cool James”, indeed. I am very excited to see what will happen next season; that cliffhanger with Hetty was terrific!

5. XK says:

Wasn’t wild about this show last season, but this season I’ve found myself enjoying it more than the main NCIS title. Looking forward to S3!

6. renee says:

kensi is the one weak link in the show. love her, but everytime she’s in a fight, her opponent gets the upper hand 98% of the time. this does NOT happen with the guys.

• Amanda says:

That only started happening when they introduced Deeks, and as far as a I remember it only happens when they’re trying to set him up to look cool. It’s irritating me tons too. That’s why I’m really, REALLY happy that it sounds like this silly “thing” they keep going on about may be getting shelved. I want to see the Kensi who bashed in car headlights with aplomb in the first season again, not the girl who’s too weak to stand still long enough for the bomb squad to show up, gives herself up to the bad guys, and has to be saved by a guy who was shot in the chest only hours previously. I didn’t expect the showrunners to do that to her, and I’m really disappointed that they did. If I hadn’t seen the first season, I’d hate her character.

7. JAN says:

I HOPE HETTY COMES BACK—————————-

8. Jess says:

i really really hope kensi and deeks start their relationship (as bf and gf) in this season. ever since deeks first showed up i knew something was goin to happen between those two and season 2 just made me believe that there will be a relationship with those two. LOVE NCIS:LA i can not wait for next season

9. Jamie says:

I agree with you, something is bound to happen.

10. E says:

i love this show
    hetty will come back im sure!
    i wonder what Nell saw in her file?
    <3 kensi/deeks "thing" hope they becum bf/gf!
    and…the big questiong.who is G. Callan? and who is the comescu familie and why do they want him dead?

11. carol says:

who is G. Callan? and who is the comescu familie and why do they want him dead?