Breaking Ewwws: NBC Is Reviving Fear Factor

Paging Joe Rogan… or not. On the heels of The Voice’s super-success, NBC has decided to revive their infamous gross-out classic, Fear Factor.

Why the reboot after a five-year hiatus? NBC alternative programming boss Paul Teledgy tells EW.com it was the high ratings Factor repeats pull in on NBC Universal’s Chiller channel that sparked the idea. Plus, he says, “You go back and [the show has] stood the test of time. It always had this incredible spectacle to it.”

Telegdy says that while the series’ revival will be bigger and better than its first run, “We don’t necessarily need to do the stuff with maximum shock value.” Uh-huh.

No word yet on when Fear Factor 2.0 will launch — or if Rogan will in fact return as the show’s boastful host — but a 2012 bow seems likely.

Thoughts on NBC’s reality reboot? Does Fear Factor still pique your interest? Or has it’s time passed?

Tags: ,

Comments (36)

• This is actually really interesting. That show bowed before reality TV was such a prime time standard. Here’s to hoping it’s decent and that Joe returns!

Comment by Danielle H – June 2, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, NBC, really?

At least Outsourced was done in half an hour.

Comment by emmitwest – June 2, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they bring this crap back but will not give Chuck a full order or a good night. Somethign is not right

Comment by Jayne Cobb – June 2, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah the thing not right is Chuck’s ratings. Are you serious? It’s been given a fifth season and it probably should not have been given a third. Count yourself lucky. I expect Fear Factor will cost them 20% of what Chuck costs and get at least double the ratings.

Comment by D'Arcy – June 2, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know D’Arcy, you’re surely right about FF being cheaper and Chuck being lucky to get as many seasons as it has gotten but – Jayne Cobb is obviously saying that they want to see more of a show they like and less of a show they don’t like (reality tv snobbery aside).

You on the other hand are championing whatever makes the most fiscal sense. If you work for NBC or own GE stocks I guess that’s fine. Otherwise you’re some special kind of chump.

Comment by sadtroll – June 3, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really not a bad idea its cheap to make and im sure the ratings will be better then most of the stuff on NBC

Comment by ggny – June 2, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I would agree, NBC has become the network for lowest common denominator entertainment. They unseated FOX years ago even before the Leno debacle. This is why they suck and why people don’t even know about the good shows they have on: they’re lazy and play it too safe. They weren’t willing to let Conan build a new audience over time the way Leno was allowed to and they put on so much generic, rehashed junk. I say let em sink.

Comment by TigerNightmare – June 2, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is a resurrection that only NBC could envision.
        Absolutely amazing.
        Pretty soon there is going to be a new phrase which enters the public domain. That will be “stupider than an NBC programmer”

Comment by J.Norman – June 2, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give it a rest. With a season 5, we have 3 or 4 seasons that would probably have never existed on CBS, ABC, or FOX. And we get a definite, final 13 episodes to end the show on. Are you really not satisfied at this point? As a Chuck fan, I know I am.

Comment by jeremiah – June 2, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, this was in response to “Jayne Cobb” above.

Comment by jeremiah – June 2, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A near decade long hiatus? Fear Factor ended in 2006. 5 years is not nearly a decade, it’s half of one

Comment by Chris – June 2, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s just nostalgia, but I never minded this show. I thought it was fun, and exciting. And that is coming from somebody who HATES reality television.

Comment by Mikaylah – June 2, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could agree more I’m pretty much allergic to anything reality. Although the voice and amazing race have me a little. Fear Factor is such a entertaining cringe worthy show. Its like an other scripted shoe where you want more.

Comment by Liz – June 2, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love fear factor. I have missed the show and glad to hear it may be coming back. Finally something decent on primetime would be nice. And the topper is its not washed up stars trying to dance .

Comment by serious – June 2, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no way in hell Joe Rogan comes back to Fear Factor. He hated the show and I don’t see how he’d need the money at this point.

Comment by lethargic – June 2, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC you really are a joke network

Comment by luke – June 2, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? That show was like Millionaire or Deal or No Deal.. addictive the first season, but BIG yawn now.

Comment by Rhonda – June 2, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you cant be serios rhonda. The shows are no comparison. Millions tunes in every week and even more people , prolly even you, tried to sign up.

Comment by serios – June 2, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this show! Glad to see it come back. Haters be damned.

Comment by Tavis – June 2, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, back to the zit-filled, Ramen Noodles eating, college days of yore. I might watch just for the nostalgia value.

Comment by Frenchie – June 2, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of enjoyed this show when it was on even though some of the challenges really freaked me out (eating the sea cucumbers, people getting large needles inserted into their arms, the crawling through sewers etc). I might be willing to give it another shot if the challenges aren’t too gross.

Comment by Andrea – June 2, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does the success of The Voice have to do with the decision to revive Fear Factor?

Comment by Kristoffer – June 2, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t much like reality tv, but I loved this show when it first ran. It’s funny, because just last week I was thinking of how I would like to see this again.

And I still get chills when thinking of the Vegas episode where they ate African Cave Dwelling Spiders. So gross!

Comment by AlisonWonderland – June 2, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the first season or two of Fear Factor, but when they couldn’t go one week without a lame C-list celebrity week, that’s when it was canceled.

Comment by JohnDoe – June 2, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would definetly watch the new fear factor! i loved that show before and was disappointed when it never returned. Now prime time tv is at its highest and could use a show like fear factor. I would love to see joe rogan come back to it. but if he leaves UFC id be upset because I love him in that A LOT! If he does fear factor, he needs to do BOTH! DONT LEAVE UFC JOE ROGAN!! THE FANS LOVE U!

Comment by JessicA – June 2, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated the first run of fear factor and I was happy when they finally gave it the axe a few years back I think want to see more original scripted programing from nbc.

Comment by John Ruggeri – June 2, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is funny. NBC is so lazy they have reboot or remake a show way too many time these past few years. It’s time to do something fresh and innovative.

Comment by Ram510 – June 2, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame American Gladiators wasn’t more successful. I wish that would come back.

Comment by joey – June 2, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like the show all that much back when it was on. It was alright every once in a while. But if they ended it and decided to bring it back maybe a year later, that wouldn’t be as bad. But FIVE YEARS? Why wait that long? It just seems kinda pointless now.

Comment by Casey – June 2, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joe has to return. 1/3 of the show was the stunts…1/3 of the show was the contestants…and the last 1/3 was Joe Rogan hosting!! You can’t take 1/3 of the show away and expect it to be good!!

Comment by Kaley – June 2, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One word: why?

Comment by Nellibly – June 3, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. So Fear Factor is like Family Guy? “Oh, it gets an audience on some obscure cable channel, so everyone must still like it.” 2. If you’re dumb enough to bring this back, NBComcast, then it has to have Joe as host. He was an integral part of the show’s original success.

Comment by Bob – June 6, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would Love to Be on Your Show I think I got What it takes.!(:

Comment by Quameria Britt – July 9, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If joe didn’t return, I probably wouldnt watch the show again.

Comment by Russ – December 7, 2011 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • joe is great. i listen to his podcast the joe rogan experience.it like hanging out with a couple of real dudes you probably wont ever get to meet.he was great as a host on fear factor. and he is going to only be better now.

Comment by freddy m – December 8, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, what a disappointment
    What’s with the fireworks / explosions….replayed over and over.
    I was a real fan of the original, but last night was a letdown

Comment by Surfdog – December 13, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post