Breaking Ewwws: NBC Is Reviving Fear Factor

Paging Joe Rogan… or not. On the heels of The Voice’s super-success, NBC has decided to revive their infamous gross-out classic, Fear Factor.

Why the reboot after a five-year hiatus? NBC alternative programming boss Paul Teledgy tells EW.com it was the high ratings Factor repeats pull in on NBC Universal’s Chiller channel that sparked the idea. Plus, he says, “You go back and [the show has] stood the test of time. It always had this incredible spectacle to it.”

Telegdy says that while the series’ revival will be bigger and better than its first run, “We don’t necessarily need to do the stuff with maximum shock value.” Uh-huh.

No word yet on when Fear Factor 2.0 will launch — or if Rogan will in fact return as the show’s boastful host — but a 2012 bow seems likely.

Thoughts on NBC’s reality reboot? Does Fear Factor still pique your interest? Or has it’s time passed?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Reality TV, Renewals, Series Orders

1. Danielle H says:

This is actually really interesting. That show bowed before reality TV was such a prime time standard. Here’s to hoping it’s decent and that Joe returns!

2. emmitwest says:

Really, NBC, really?

At least Outsourced was done in half an hour.

3. Jayne Cobb says:

they bring this crap back but will not give Chuck a full order or a good night. Somethign is not right

• D'Arcy says:

Yeah the thing not right is Chuck’s ratings. Are you serious? It’s been given a fifth season and it probably should not have been given a third. Count yourself lucky. I expect Fear Factor will cost them 20% of what Chuck costs and get at least double the ratings.

• sadtroll says:

You know D’Arcy, you’re surely right about FF being cheaper and Chuck being lucky to get as many seasons as it has gotten but – Jayne Cobb is obviously saying that they want to see more of a show they like and less of a show they don’t like (reality tv snobbery aside).

You on the other hand are championing whatever makes the most fiscal sense. If you work for NBC or own GE stocks I guess that’s fine. Otherwise you’re some special kind of chump.

4. ggny says:

really not a bad idea its cheap to make and im sure the ratings will be better then most of the stuff on NBC

• TigerNightmare says:

While I would agree, NBC has become the network for lowest common denominator entertainment. They unseated FOX years ago even before the Leno debacle. This is why they suck and why people don’t even know about the good shows they have on: they’re lazy and play it too safe. They weren’t willing to let Conan build a new audience over time the way Leno was allowed to and they put on so much generic, rehashed junk. I say let em sink.

• J.Norman says:

This is a resurrection that only NBC could envision.
        Absolutely amazing.
        Pretty soon there is going to be a new phrase which enters the public domain. That will be “stupider than an NBC programmer”

5. jeremiah says:

Give it a rest. With a season 5, we have 3 or 4 seasons that would probably have never existed on CBS, ABC, or FOX. And we get a definite, final 13 episodes to end the show on. Are you really not satisfied at this point? As a Chuck fan, I know I am.

6. Chris says:

A near decade long hiatus? Fear Factor ended in 2006. 5 years is not nearly a decade, it’s half of one

7. Mikaylah says:

Maybe it’s just nostalgia, but I never minded this show. I thought it was fun, and exciting. And that is coming from somebody who HATES reality television.

• Liz says:

Could agree more I’m pretty much allergic to anything reality. Although the voice and amazing race have me a little. Fear Factor is such a entertaining cringe worthy show. Its like an other scripted shoe where you want more.

• serious says:

i love fear factor. I have missed the show and glad to hear it may be coming back. Finally something decent on primetime would be nice. And the topper is its not washed up stars trying to dance .

8. lethargic says:

There is no way in hell Joe Rogan comes back to Fear Factor. He hated the show and I don’t see how he’d need the money at this point.

9. luke says:

NBC you really are a joke network

10. Rhonda says:

Seriously? That show was like Millionaire or Deal or No Deal.. addictive the first season, but BIG yawn now.

• serios says:

you cant be serios rhonda. The shows are no comparison. Millions tunes in every week and even more people , prolly even you, tried to sign up.

11. Tavis says:

I loved this show! Glad to see it come back. Haters be damned.

12. Frenchie says:

Ah, back to the zit-filled, Ramen Noodles eating, college days of yore. I might watch just for the nostalgia value.

13. Andrea says:

I kind of enjoyed this show when it was on even though some of the challenges really freaked me out (eating the sea cucumbers, people getting large needles inserted into their arms, the crawling through sewers etc). I might be willing to give it another shot if the challenges aren’t too gross.

14. Kristoffer says:

What does the success of The Voice have to do with the decision to revive Fear Factor?

15. AlisonWonderland says:

I don’t much like reality tv, but I loved this show when it first ran. It’s funny, because just last week I was thinking of how I would like to see this again.

And I still get chills when thinking of the Vegas episode where they ate African Cave Dwelling Spiders. So gross!

16. JohnDoe says:

I liked the first season or two of Fear Factor, but when they couldn’t go one week without a lame C-list celebrity week, that’s when it was canceled.

17. JessicA says:

i would definetly watch the new fear factor! i loved that show before and was disappointed when it never returned. Now prime time tv is at its highest and could use a show like fear factor. I would love to see joe rogan come back to it. but if he leaves UFC id be upset because I love him in that A LOT! If he does fear factor, he needs to do BOTH! DONT LEAVE UFC JOE ROGAN!! THE FANS LOVE U!

18. John Ruggeri says:

I hated the first run of fear factor and I was happy when they finally gave it the axe a few years back I think want to see more original scripted programing from nbc.

19. Ram510 says:

This is funny. NBC is so lazy they have reboot or remake a show way too many time these past few years. It’s time to do something fresh and innovative.

20. joey says:

It’s a shame American Gladiators wasn’t more successful. I wish that would come back.

21. Casey says:

I didn’t like the show all that much back when it was on. It was alright every once in a while. But if they ended it and decided to bring it back maybe a year later, that wouldn’t be as bad. But FIVE YEARS? Why wait that long? It just seems kinda pointless now.

22. Kaley says:

Joe has to return. 1/3 of the show was the stunts…1/3 of the show was the contestants…and the last 1/3 was Joe Rogan hosting!! You can’t take 1/3 of the show away and expect it to be good!!

23. Nellibly says:

One word: why?

24. Bob says:

1. So Fear Factor is like Family Guy? “Oh, it gets an audience on some obscure cable channel, so everyone must still like it.” 2. If you’re dumb enough to bring this back, NBComcast, then it has to have Joe as host. He was an integral part of the show’s original success.

25. Quameria Britt says:

I would Love to Be on Your Show I think I got What it takes.!(:

26. Russ says:

If joe didn’t return, I probably wouldnt watch the show again.

27. freddy m says:

joe is great. i listen to his podcast the joe rogan experience.it like hanging out with a couple of real dudes you probably wont ever get to meet.he was great as a host on fear factor. and he is going to only be better now.

28. Surfdog says:

Wow, what a disappointment
    What’s with the fireworks / explosions….replayed over and over.
    I was a real fan of the original, but last night was a letdown