Comic-Con

Exclusive First Look: Meet Syfy's Team Alphas

Syfy this summer will premiere Alphas, an action-packed thriller series about people with special abilities who are tasked with solving impossible crimes — and TVLine has secured an exclusive first look at the promo art touting this rather X-traordinary A-team.

Hot for Summer: Your Guide to More than 60 June Premieres

Check out this very cool piece of key art, then read on for more about this must-see new summer series:

Penned by Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, natch) and Michael Karnow, Alphas revolves around five people who, due to brain anomalies, boast “hyper-normal mental and physical abilities.” Retained by the U.S. Department of Defense — and led by Alpha phenomena expert Dr. Lee Rosen (Emmy winner/Oscar nominee David Strathairn) — the team uses their assorted mad skillz to investigate cases that point to others with Alpha abilities.

In addition to Strathairn (Temple Grandin, Good Night, and Good Luck), the cast includes (clockwise from top right) Azita Ghanizada (Castle), Malik Yoba (New York Undercover), Laura Mennell (Watchmen), Ryan Cartwright (Bones) and Warren Christie (October Road).

Alphas launches Monday, July 11, at 10/9c, with a 90-minute opener directed by Jack Bender (Lost). Penn, Ira Steven Behr (The 4400), Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein serve as executive producers.

What do you think: Is Alphas a good bet?

Tags: ,

Comments (38)

• The return of Vincent Nigel Murray! Huzzah!

Comment by Matt – June 2, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very Much Like :)

Comment by Booth_Girl – June 2, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally gonna watch because of VNM! :)

Comment by mandy – June 2, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being a HUGE Xmen fan from back in the day, I have to point out that Xmen Last Stand is roundly recognised by many Xmen/Comic book fans as THE worse of the Xmen trilogy, if not of the recent flock of super hero movies. So not sure Zak Penn is as “natch” as a positive for this project.

(Example, Last Stand, told the partial story of the Epic Phoenix Saga from the 80′s. That’s a Phoenix….a bird of fire (illustrated, in the comics, by a huge fire bird rising into the air).

So every scene Jean Grey manifested the Phoenix power did we see fire? Nope, we did see a lot of water though….sigh)

Last Stand undid what was previously exciting about the story telling from the first two Xmen movies (Singer).

Comment by Tusk – June 2, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah… Last Stand was horrible on all fronts.

This is a syfy show, so I’ll go into it with tempered expectations, but I’ll give it an episode or two at least to wow me.

Comment by XK – June 2, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • On the plus side, Ira Behr is the showrunner. Give him creative freedom, and the man does fantastic work. For anyone who is not familiar with his name, he was a producer on ST: The Next Generation for a couple years, then ran ST: Deep Space Nine; he worked on Dark Angel and the 2002 version of The Twilight Zone; he was showrunner for The 4400 during its four season run, and ran the Starz drama Crash during its second season. Some of those shows may not be as a good as others compared as whole entities, but the man is one hell of a writer and creative force.

Comment by Michael – June 2, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hmmm, not sure ST The Next Generation is a plum either. I lost interest the 2055 times they violated the “Prime Directive”. The best officers in the fleet but they never had an issue with violating it. What’s the point in having this rule if everyone ignores it?

And let’s not worry about the umpteenth time the “hard to do” act of time travel was exploited….Forget Prime Directive, let’s go for the all time Reality/Time Paradox. Hell the enterprise must have had a bus pass it commuted so much to go back in time.

The quality Sci Fi show I could get on board at that time was Babylon 5. It was Star Trek without the snobbery and blatant disregard for its on rules.

Comment by Tusk – June 2, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think you’re in the majority. I respect your opinion, though. Most trekkies I know love TNG warts and all.

Comment by jj – June 3, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • BABYLON 5 WAS A GREAT SHOW.BRING IT BACK!

Comment by hAROLD dELAHOUSSAYE – June 4, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love David Strathairn. Will check it out just for him.

Comment by Renee – June 2, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This!

Comment by Adriaan – June 2, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though he looks strangely like Edward James Olmos in that image…

Comment by Simon Jester – June 2, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Simon I thought it was Edward James Olmos, too!

Comment by Patchycat – June 2, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are they going serious with this? I was hoping for more of a Misfits of Science vibe…

Comment by absherlock – June 2, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never seen David Strathairn in a bad project, so I am putting my trust in him.

Comment by Pam – June 2, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has a touch of Heroes about it, yes?

Comment by larrouxgirl – June 2, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or just about any other superhero team story? Heroes paid homage to quite a few comics itself in its first season.

Comment by Brooke – June 2, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they cancel Caprica and SGU so they can give us yet another X-Men clone. What’s next “Cleopatra 2525 – The Return”?

Comment by Neal Jansons – June 2, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Neal, please tell me you’re not this naive. ALPHAS was greenlit in 2009 — before either SGU and CAPRICA even premiered. And they were cancelled because no one freakin’ watched them!

Comment by Simon Jester – June 2, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They were shifted to bad slots in order kill them. Those show did not appeal to a broad enough demographic. It wasn’t that people were not watching. Its was that the right people were not watching. Also, ratings systems do not have nearly large enough of a sample size to create an accurate representation of the 300 million viewers in the US. The public lashing that they are receiving from their fan “base” is very strong evidence of that. They have admitted that they are not really interested in what scifi fans want. They are much more interested in attracting the consumer that says they are not a scifi fan but still watches “Star Wars” because it is a good film. That is why they changed the name to SYFY, so that they could broaden their demographics.

Comment by Really? – June 2, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, but the facts don’t support your theory. Both SGU and Caprica saw a *dramatic* ratings decline in the first six weeks — before any time-slot change or even broadcast hiatus. Fact is, people who tuned in at the beginning didn’t like them enough to stick with it.

Comment by Simon Jester – June 2, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sounds like it good be very good and SCI FI changed the name to SYFY so they could register the name for copyright purposes cos no can the rights to SCI FI cos it’s an abbreviation

Comment by R West – June 3, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I tried to watch SGU, I tried several times. I got tired of the overly dramatic “OMG! We’re going to die this week for sure!” writing. There was no humor, no real feeling of a group that could be relied upon like in SG1 and SGA. I lost interest in SGU by the third episode and couldn’t have cared less how it ended.

Comment by Dewkitty – June 3, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would have been nice to hear about what their abilities are.. although the press release may not have given you that info so meh.

Comment by Danielle H. – June 2, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That info is both on the trailer (click on the “Alphas” tag just above the comments, and check the May 27th “Items” article), and in the show site (just google Alphas SyFy).

Anyway, I might be one of the few “odd ones out”, but I’m actually looking forward to this series. It looks good, and if they don’t try to overdo it, it might actually be entertaining. Then again, I liked Heroes, for example, so…

Comment by Delirious – June 2, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im only gonna see it because of Mr.Nigel Murray.

Comment by João Amaral – June 2, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL looks like Boreanaz and DeChannel should receive some money for building Mr Nigel Murray a fan base.

Comment by Tusk – June 2, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not usually a fan of the superhero genre, but I probably will check out the first episode because of Mr. Nigel Murray. Although, the reason I liked that character was because he was very endearing. Who knows what this new character will be like.

Comment by zaza – June 3, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only reason to watch – Ryan Cartwright!!
    Still feel sad about Vincent, makes him a wonderful actor!!

Comment by Cin – June 2, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll definitely tune in to Alphas, mostly for the show itself, although Malik Yoba is a big plus for me. He’s a very good actor. This show reminds me of Mutant X, which is a good thing. Loved that show! While X-men 3 was the worst X-men movie so far, I still liked it. Definitely had its ups and downs, but I was entertained by what I saw.

Comment by Justin – June 2, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one guy in the top center looks like commander adama!

Looks good, don’t have syfy over the summer but I will catch up and watch it later in the summer when I have syfy again! Haha, but I like how it says “powered by verizon” like it is the latest tablet.

Comment by Ian – June 2, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks awesome and directed by a Lostie? Even better!

Comment by Amy – June 2, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monday nights starting in July on SyFy is going to be hard to beat. Alphas, Warehaouse 13 and Eureka. This is going to be great.

Comment by Tonia – June 2, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this show. But I’m sad to see that SGU has been canceled. It was one of my fav shows!

Comment by Girish – June 2, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am looking forward to see this show..looks pretty cool

Comment by Amy – June 3, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad to see syfy constantly pushing forward with new shows that are above the “sci fi originial movives” But I just feel like this is going to be dollhouse meets x-men possibily with some bond thrown in.

Comment by Mike D – June 3, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll at least watch the first episode to see what it’s like.

Comment by Rachel – June 4, 2011 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Nigel-Murray rises from the Bones’ ashes.

Comment by Bob – June 6, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post