Emmys

Jane Lynch to Host Emmys: 5 Things We Want to See From Glee's Queen of Mean

Now that Jane Lynch has officially been named host(ess) of the Emmy Awards, we at TVLine thought it would be a good time to pitch the Glee icon some ideas — five, in fact — that could make the 2011 telecast the best ever.

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Lead Comedy Actor Race — Including Our 6 Dream Nominees

5 | 2010 host Jimmy Fallon returns to join Lynch in a sequel to last year’s ambitious opening number, “Born to Run.” Bonus points if Joel McHale, Nina Dobrev, Tina Fey, Jon Hamm, and all those Glee kids take part again. Kate Gosselin can sit this one out.

4 | Lynch re-teams with frequent collaborator Christopher Guest (Best in Show, A Mighty Wind) to create a new character that could pop in and out throughout the telecast. Or perhaps she could reprise her For Your Consideration role as brain-dead entertainment show host Cindy and handicap the Emmy race — crystal ball and all.

3 | Since Charlie Sheen’s schedule is wide-open these days and Lynch portrayed his shrink for years on Two and a Half Men, why not pre-tape a little therapy session for the show? The two could chat about getting Emmy submissions in on time and how to deal with warlocks and whatnot. We’re willing to bet at least one half of that equation would jump at the opportunity.

2 | As much as we adore Glee and its resident baddie Sue Sylvester, it might be nice to see the ubiquitous track suit retired — if for just one night. One possible scenario: The Emmy host announces during her opening monologue that Sue detests awards shows and decided to partake in something a little less unpleasant, like swallowing a hand grenade or something.

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Lead Comedy Actress Race — Including Our Dream Nominees

1 | You may or may not have heard this, but Steve Carell recently left his post on NBC’s The Office. Well, we think it would be pretty darn hilarious if the ceremony opened with a now-unemployed Carell approaching his 40-Year-Old Virgin co-star Lynch (reprising her role as electronics seductress Paula) in an attempt to reclaim his job at SmartTech.

What do you want to see from Lynch during her Emmys hosting gig? Are any of our suggestions striking a chord with you? Let us know in the comments!

1. Jenna says:

I agree that I want Jane to host as herself and not Sue. Lets also veto that Charlie Sheen stuff. He can just stay far away from everything.

• Just Jules says:

How about Jane reprises the therapist role and counsels Ashton Kutcher on how to get along with “Alan & Jake”… OR just calls Ashton “Charlie”.. I think that would be a hoot!

2. the girl says:

The idea about Jane & Steve is perfect. Right now the only place where it is happening is in my mind. And it’s hilarious.

3. Amber says:

As much as I can’t stand Charlie Sheen these days, I like that idea, as Jane Lynch’s therapy session with him were always the best scenes on that show. And I agree Kate Gosselin should just stay home this year. I despise that woman.

What if they did a sketch of Jane Lynch as her Glee character trying to apply for a job as Jon Hamm’s secretary on Mad Men? The character obviously needs a job since she quit the high school. Heck, they can even bring in John Slattery, Christina Hendricks and Elizabeth Moss. I think that would be really funny. And any chance to see Jon Hamm and John Slattery in their Mad Men suits, I fully support.

I think I did hear somewhere that Steve Carrell quit The Office…I can’t remember where I heard it though. =)

4. SaraK says:

I’ll be very happy if Sue stays home from the Emmys. Let Jane host on her own (hilarious) merits. Would love to see a sketch with Jane and Steve Carell.

5. Danielle says:

I will definitely be sitting the Emmys out this year. I cannot stand Jane Lynch!

6. AUST says:

I want a Born To Run sequel. The first one was EPIC.

7. Rachel says:

Love Jane Lynch. Dislike Glee. I want Jane as herself and not her Sue.

8. Rachel says:

I think Jane is one of the best comedic actors in a film or show, but as a standalone not so much. I don’t think she’ll do that well, unless they partner her up with someone that “clicks” with her. Other than that, I think the emmy’s this year is going to flop.

9. Stehpo says:

One thing i dont wanna see, Glee.

But that`s just wishfull thinking…

10. TaMara says:

Love Jane Lynch. But even better, love your ideas. Maybe you could do some moonlighting as emmy writers. I think they can use all the help they can get.

11. Brandi says:

Yes, yes, yes to the Jimmy Fallon sequel!

12. kate says:

Lea Michele singing, to show that she can do what the other nominees in her category can’t do.

• Mark says:

And then the other nominees will act to show what Lea Michelle can’t do.

• Ein says:

Oh, snap!

• Marc says:

you can put her down, but you can’t deny the fact that she can sing with different emotions. That’s acting too. I’ll tell ya, she’s really underrated. Everyone thinks that Lea Michele is a diva, one-trick phony: belt out high notes, super annoying as Rachel Berry. The truth is that no one understands her, like in the episode 2×16 “Original Song”..she mentions that “…felt like a girl who never gets the brass ring, and may be I never will…” She is humble, and has a genuine heart. She doesn’t have to sing at the Emmys to prove that she’s talented. If I know the emmys pretty well, they’re probably going to pick either Laura Linney (mostly) or Amy Poehler. They don’t appreciate “young” talent anyways. (sorry about the comment at the end, I accidentally clicked there)

13. linda says:

looking forward to this! :)

14. Mr. Furley says:

“why not pre-tape a little therapy session for the show? The two could chat about getting Emmy submissions in on time and how to deal with warlocks and whatnot.”

I think it was the possible embarrasement over NOT even getting a nomination after submitting which was his biggest fear & reason for not submitting. (he sure doesn’t deserve one in my book)
    It would possibly hurt his lawsuit (can’t even get a nom, yet you are the “chosen savior” of the entire network? REALLY??)
    Also kinda puts a damper on his whole “turning Tin into gold” theory.

We want Jimy Fallon!!! Even AS Charlie!!!!! :)
    Hey!! Now there is an idea… ……. ;-)

• Margot says:

Euh in this case i prefer to watch THE REAL CHARLIE SHEEN.
      I will always prefer Charlie Sheen over Jimmy Fallon even if Sheen continue his non-politically correct/”crazy” life style..he is just funnier and more talented in my book and even in some over-the-top interview-fashion (love the Gregory Brothers version of ‘Winning’ by the way) i prefer the real deal to some (even quite funny) imitations.

• Mr. Furley says:

If ONLY Charlie were at all reliable to be counted on and/or could actually be insured to work!
        And to bad Jimmy looks more Charlie’s age (not a 100) than Charlie does! :-0

15. april-ann says:

Love those ideas, esp. 3! Jane Lynch is alot of fun, and with her hosting I just might tune in to the Emmys again. Haven’t watched in several years. I hold tv grudges, and I’m still not over Lauren Graham not winning an Emmy, or even being nominated, for Gilmore Girls!

16. Sam says:

Love idea number 3 : Sheen and Lynch have great chemistry and are funny actors moreover with all the recent Sheen media big bang it would be interesting and edgy..so i vote for that..but i doubt it will happen..The industry doesn’t want to appear as some sort of support to Sheen after all the media trashing of him..(but the ratings would be wooza wooza va va voom..) so they could be torned apart..but it will not happen at the end of the day..politically correctness will prevail as always..

• april-ann says:

Word to that, Sam. The support for Lorre had me scratching my head, a man who obviously makes decisions based on emotion. A man who almost seemed to not mind sabotaging his own show (because he resented Charlie’s success, talent and popularity in the role) by forcing a boring drip of a fiance for Charlie on the fans for two seasons, not to mention turning Alan into a ridiculous dufus we had to continually endure watching in his tighty whities. Lorre’s vanity cards proved how much he resented Charlie. And when Charlie dared to respond to those (who wouldn’t?) Lorre shut down production when Charlie was more than ready to report back for work. I hope Charlie sues him for all he made him worth.

• Amy says:

Hi, Charlie!

Nobody tunes in to anything else Sheen-related these days; his pathetic act has already worn out its rather limited welcome. He’ll be persona non grata at the Emmys, except as the butt of jokes.

• april-ann says:

I’m not Charlie, Amy. I’m just a fan of the show who enjoyed the show in its original premise, appreciated Charlie’s talent (yes, he’s talented) and don’t care at all about his personal life.

• CurryFan says:

Sheen missed several tapings because he was in jail, the show had to work around that. He showed up for work drunk or high, sometimes both, and the show worked around that too. He brought in his wives, ex-wives, mistresses and so on, and the show worked around that. Sorry, but enough is enough. I’m glad they fired his ass.

17. fishbulb says:

I’m assuming no one in the comments here has seen “For Your Consideration”, because this is the perfect character for Jane to reprise at the Emmys, if she’s going to reprise any. There was a moment in the movie where they present the opening of the vapid ET-type show, and the camera swoops in on Fred Willard and Jane, and she’s doing this TV-hostess stance that made everyone in the theater I was at fall on the floor. She didn’t have to move or say anything – it was just the way she stood.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Right?? I bet they could even get Fred Willard to don the “swami” hat or fauxhawk and reunite with her.

18. Marc says:

19. Elizabeth says:

Guaranteed: Jane will be Sue at some point. Its on FOX and when you’re the home network, you pimp till ya can’t pimp no more. There’s NO WAY she’s not going to do Sue at some point. (my only request: bring Becky along as the trusty assistant.)

Don’t need to revisit Born To Run – that was a pure Jimmy Fallon moment.

It would be kinda funny to have something will all the actors from FOX shows that get cancelled after 2 episodes.

20. Renee Radia says:

I would be really happy with some kind of Party Down sketch!

21. Christie says:

I’m all about the Jimmy Fallon sequel, especially if it gives me another opportunity to see Joel McHale singing with the Glee kids.

22. sylsch says:

With Matthew Gray Gubler of Criminal minds, it will be cool see them together again.