Scoop: NBC's The Event To Continue on Syfy?

Mere minutes after NBC canceled freshman thriller The Event on the unlucky Friday, May 13, show creator Nick Wauters and executive producer Steve Stark told fans that there was a chance the drama could continue elsewhere. That possibility is now taking shape.

Sources confirm that Syfy is in talks to pick up The Event as a miniseries. Helping things is the fact that Syfy and The Event producer, Universal Media Studios, are corporate siblings. But migrating a broadcast show to cable is never easy, and I hear discussions are underway to see if it would be financially feasible.

Fore more details on this story, visit TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop

1. Michael Sacal says:

I hope it happens, but a mini? I want more than that.

2. Jegf says:

This is great news! Great show…. Is the wife of the prez an alien? Maybe my family will get to know!

3. Angie says:

I would enjoy seeing a minimseries produced to end the story correctly. I do think that not having an end date for this show impacted the pacing of the episodes.

4. Ruby says:

I will ABSOLUTELY watch this if it happens. I really fell in love with this show, ludicrous plots and all. Jason Ritter was pretty awesome in it, too. I felt kind of bad for hoping Layla died in the finale and he ended up with Vicky.

5. Jon says:

C’mon Nellie, please update this article with this tweet:

The show is dead and never coming back

6. Lucius says:

Go go go!!!

7. Robin says:

This comes after I just decided to not watch the last few episodes b/c it was canceled! lol If this happens I would definitly consider watching it but I’d have to catch up a bit.

8. Karen says:

The Chicago Code is the show to save. It just got better and better each week and the ratings continued to go up. Great title song, also. There is so much more story to tell there. Unfortunately, FOX jumped the gun just when the show was finding it’s strengths. It reminds me of a Friday Night Lights scenario. It’s great television that needs time on another network!

9. TammyK says:

Great News! The Event ended with such an awesome cliffhanger I’ve been thinking about what could have happened next ever since. Hopefully now we’ll get to see it on SyFy.

10. Much like with Southland and TNT, The Event would likely see major budget cuts.

11. Justin says:

So I take it the season finale didn’t have a giant wormhole engulfing all of Earth and thus killing every character on the show?

That’s really the only ending that I would have been happy with, IMHO.

12. epoh says:

They should forget this idea and do a TSCC mini series to wrap up that show. (I know the shows been gone for a while now, but I still miss it)

13. Tom says:

I really enjoyed the show, i hope it continues somewhere!

14. Marc says:

A show like the Event is not meant fir network television. It could do better in Cable or even Sundication. Look at Baywatch?

15. kelly says:

I hope this is true and Syfy makes it happen…Please Syfy make it happen!!!! Even if you can’t do it as a mini-series, please just make a couple of shows so it has an ending…got hooked to a show and I need an ending. Thanks in advance :)

16. Jason says:

Syfy channel should pick up Freaks and Geeks and finish it with a miniseries!!!

17. erika says:

they pick up this crap but not “flash forward”?

18. dureid says:

I hop to help my

19. Rachel says:

That would be AMAZING!! The finale was so good, I wish more people had tuned in. I would ABSOLUTELY watch the miniseries, if only to see how Cristina & Elias’ storyline worked out! And Vicki. She’s so kickass.

20. Lucy says:

No-oooo! Jason Ritter should be coming back to Parenthood (sorry Jason, I love you but The Event just wasn’t very ‘eventful’ and I loved you more on Parenthood!!!)

21. Vanny says:

Yes Please save!!! The end was awesome, and I was heartbroken at that moment, realising there would not be more to the story. So please, please syfy, redeem yourselves and save this show!

22. l says:

NOOOO, it has to go so that Jason can go back to Parenthood!

23. sam says:

syfy should have saved heroes or V before this CRAPPY SHOW

24. Guy says:

I didn’t mind the event but how can this possibly get back on the air and we get left in limbo with V?

25. Nic says:

The Event is (was) a good show that was different from the usual run of the mill ca-ca that NBC has on now. I do hope SyFy picks it up ’cause I and some folks I know will be sure to tune in to watch. As for Law and Order: LA, I never watched it but I sure wouldn’t slam another it or another show (like The Event) just because my fave show wasn’t picked up. That’s so frigging junior-high. Go gripe to the networks and leave this good show alone.

26. DaveM says:

I’m glad there is a shot at getting a resolution, but I’d much rather see “V” get this opportunity.

27. Matt From Texas says:

Anybody on this site who comments on The Event and makes comments that it sucked after they only watched 4-5 episodes, needs to get their head examined. The Event got better as it went on in the season. The finale was frakkin great. The last two minutes of it, i was on the edge of my couch, not being able to sit still. To agree with some other people that have made comments about SGU, Syfy also need to pick this back up for another season.

28. ian (UK) says:

Test (to see if my last post filed under “B”).

29. Shane says:

Excellent show and it ended on an exciting cliff-hanger. Would love to see it continue as a mini-series on SyFy.

30. Brad says:

I like those the event and law and order. Based on the masses I would say that it’s more appropriate for law and order to stay on nbc, but the event does have its place and syfy probably would be a good place forit to go, at any rate we should all look at our own individual choices and allow everyone to enjoy what they like. Their weren’t so few viewers of the event that deserves termination. But the again, maybe people could learn a bit more patience to get the show going, and maybe the bigger networks need to look at entire picture before making haisty decisions. This was a bold move for nbc, but one I feel they will end up reverting as the show has endless possibilities going forward.

31. larell says:

The problem is NBC pulled the show off for so long people forgot about it. Then the return date was hard to find. Its a shame that NBC does stuff like this. I think when you mess with a fledgling show that has a really twisty, “need to pay attention” plot, it needs to run its full year to get a fan base established and hooked. I love the show and will gladly follow to either Netflix or SyFy to watch more!

32. monica powers says:

please bring the event back—it’s gotta be better than another cop show

33. Steve says:

The event was a great show.LOVED IT. SGU stunk.Atlantis and star gate sg1 were far superior.
    sgu was a soap opera not a sci fi show. and for those of you who complain about the realities of planets in orbits and gravitational pull etc,relax its a frigging tv show.just entertainment.dont take it too seriously.
    hope sci fi channel picks up the event.

34. Rain says:

This has been a tragedy. This show lost their viewer ship due to their hard to follow timeline combined with 3 or 4 sub-plots. Some people can’t keep it straight and found it very frustrating. It was ok but not my fav till they re-vamped the format. Once they smoothed that out this show took off. They developed relationships with their characters better and they had some excellent storylines and special FX. I’d love to see them have a year or 2 more to see what they come up with. I hate reality shows and the better part of everything I see on cable and regular TV. I spend most of my viewing time watching reruns of MASH or MONK. Love the Mentalist and Raising Hope. So I leave the other shows to those who find them their cup of tea… wish others would do the same for those of us who enjoy the Event.