Scoop: NBC's The Event To Continue on Syfy?

Mere minutes after NBC canceled freshman thriller The Event on the unlucky Friday, May 13, show creator Nick Wauters and executive producer Steve Stark told fans that there was a chance the drama could continue elsewhere. That possibility is now taking shape.

Sources confirm that Syfy is in talks to pick up The Event as a miniseries. Helping things is the fact that Syfy and The Event producer, Universal Media Studios, are corporate siblings. But migrating a broadcast show to cable is never easy, and I hear discussions are underway to see if it would be financially feasible.

Fore more details on this story, visit TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop

1. Terry says:

That would be great news. Even though it got lost in the shuffle at NBC, it was one of the most exciting shows on the tube this year. Hope it will be back somewhere.

• allie says:

I agree – this show really got better the second half of last season. I’d love to see it picked up on Syfy – it’s a win/win because Syfy is really hurting for anything that remotley resembles science fiction these days!

• Selbs says:

Oh, please, please let this be true. Because of it’s time slot and day this show got lost in the shuffle. NBC does a lot of that-putting possible hits opposite time-tested shows on other networks (opposite Dancing With The Stars on Monday, Parenthood opposite The Good Wife on Tuesday, etc.!) and wonder why they’re in 4th place! I caught the last few episodes of The Event and the last words out of the president’s wife blew me away. And that’s how they end a series? Moving to SyFy even for a mini-series would be an act of kindness to it’s fans.

2. Esaul says:

I find it ridiculous that there’s a chance that The Event can continue, a show that has been failing from the start over a show like Law & Order: Los Angel, whose ratings went down because of the move to Monday, behind both The Event and Chuck. I honestly hope this fails. >.>

• Esaul says:

*Angeles >.>

• mykey716 says:

Given a choice of The Event or L&O:LA, I would prefer to see a 2nd chance on L&O:LA. Here’s a show that started out badly, went away (altho almost for too long) to get fixed and actually DID come back better! I also liked the fact they didn’t totally forget Skeet’s character by having his partner track down his killer and all.
      USA could easily have picked it up (home of L&O:CI), which is also part of the NBC/Universal family.
      The Event was only good for the 1st 2 and last 3 episodes..and yes had a great ending (leaving me wanting more) but I wasn’t as disappointed with that as much as I was with NBC choosing to cancel L&O:LA, after taking time and money to fix it and then dump it on Monday night….but then again, NBC has truly given the shaft to the whole L&O franchise, haven’t they?

• Jason says:

Yeah like there isn’t enough procedural police shows on TV!!! Law and Order was on for 20 years and has umpteen spinoffs. I think NBC gave it a chance!! Plus it’s the Scyfy channel. How would Law and Order fit on that network. Think before we speak people!!!

• Dean says:

Mykey716 never said anything about SyFy picking up Law & Order: LA. He mentioned USA network as a possibility. I think I’ll quote you on this one. “Think before we speak people!!!”

• Jason says:

Was referring to Esaul!!! Who was being a jerk by saying the Event is ridiculous and hoped it failed. I think it’s riddiculous if you hate a show to spend your time reading and article about it. There are people that enjoyed the show!!!!

• Esaul says:

I’m talking about a wasted effort. The Event failed consistently each week. I watched the first two episodes and saw how terrible it was. I’m not saying SyFy should save LOLA. I’m saying that out of the shows cancelled by NBC, LOLA should be saved by ANOTHER network compared to The Event, who does not deserve being saved at all.

• LeAnn says:

Esaul, if you only watched the first two episodes of The Event then you certainly can’t say it wasn’t worth saving. It definitely got better as the season went on. Anyway, I hope it goes to SyFy, I would watch it!

• Vanessa says:

I don’t understand, why would you hope that others fail? You do realize that you don’t have to watch it and that if it succeeds that it doesn’t hurt your life, so why be hateful towards what others may enjoy?

• Nick says:

Its pretty simple for you morons. It is a SCIENCE FICTION show, and Law and Order is more of the same garbage that is ALREADY on too much. Get over it, that show was terrible, and now its gone. The Event wasn’t that great, but it is a good fit for SyFy. Jesus some people need to get a clue.

• Dan says:

no, the Event was not science fiction, just fiction. There was very little science involved. Please do not insult scifi by placing the event in that category. Science Fiction has to at least TRY and follow basic rules of science when using current or modern day earth as a setting or it is just a farce. So, the aliens planet appears in the sky, wicked close to earth… and they completely ignore a basic scientific tenet: gravity. both planets would rip themselves apart in a matter of moments. the combined gravity of the two planets would pull the entire solar system out of whack, and would suck in the moon too. this show was incredibly incomprehensible. all charachter development followed the deus ex machina school of thought for filmmaking.

• A.K. says:

You are a ding bat, you are a NEGATIVE influence on Life obviously, If You don’t like something TURN THE DAMN CHANNEL .
      Watch your boring shows.and don’t worry about a VERY INTERESTING SERIES. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE PICKED UP…HEADS UP DO NOT WATCH IT ,

3. Will says:

No. Just let it go.

4. David says:

Syfy should save this lifeline for Fringe next season.

• John Berggren says:

They’d have to have one hell of a sweetheart deal from WB to buy a season of Fringe. SyFy doesn’t like buying non-Universal properties as it is. CW is a more likely outlet, if anything.

As a Fringe fan, we should be thankful for 22 more episodes and understand that it may be the end.

• Altair says:

Good lord! Don’t say that. The thought of Fringe as a CW show… Oh no! I just threw up all over my shoes. Shame on you! And shame on me, god-dangit!!

• John Berggren says:

It’s corporate synergy plain and simple.
          Fringe is produced by Warner Brothers.
          SyFy is Universal-centric.
          CW is Warner Brothers & Paramount Centric

• Altair says:

No I get it, I really do; but try and picture what they would do to the show on that network. I’d much rather they kill off every single character on Fringe, so that there’s no chance of it moving to the CW.

• Aimee says:

I’d rather have Fringe end on a good note this fourth season than end up slashed and hacked to pieces on another network. But who knows, we might be able to pull a season five on FOX ;) I’d be happy with five total.

5. ErixN says:

Oh! I really hope so!

6. Ace says:

Of all the cancelled shows to pick up… THIS one? Really? I’ll pass… just like I did about three episodes in on NBC.

• kathy says:

I agree 150%.. This show just got stupider and stupider.

• bamalam says:

I have to agree as well. I recorded and tried watching the first 4 episodes and fell asleep at various points during all of them.

• There’s your problem: You didn’t give the show time for the story to play out. By episode 14, the show really started to hit its stride, and by the finale, most people were blown away. Those last couple minutes of the finale were probably some of the best I’ve ever seen on television. The only thing I can think of that was even close was when Picard became Locutus of Borg when the Borg invaded on TNG. I can’t wait for this to happen. I think, if anything, a mini-series will tighten the writing and the suspense and we’ll have an epic.

• hayleegator says:

You did NOT just compare The Event to the one of (if not the) best episodes / storylines of ST:TNG. Not even a close comparison. Most of the event was painful to try and watch – and the only reason I stuck through it was to see how they would end it (especially with the cancellation). The characters were flat, and I honestly did not “care” about any of them. Flash Forward was better than The Event and that is saying a lot. . .

• mykey716 says:

I really don’t think you should have to wait for 14 episodes for a show to ‘click’! I’m all for giving a show a chance, and I think 6 episodes should be sufficient. I DID like the show at first, then it got somewhat ridiculous, but the finale left me wanting MORE!! It could have been so much better, but I would love to see at least a proper finish to the series, and a miniseries would tie everything up quite nicely!

• Delirious says:

Have to agree with you, when I thought it was on a downslope, it started to pick up, and the closer we got to the finale, the more interested I became. So if this happens, awesome for me, and for the rest of the people who actually liked it, especially considering how it ended.

• seattlejohn says:

so many shows like this would be better as mini-series to begin with…it’s frustrating to invest youself into characters and storylines (Firefly, Invasion, Caprica)that get trashed for lack of huge ratings…I enjoyed Flashforward, and at least they gave it closure, but that ending was totally crammed into a really awkward and unsatisfying tying up of loose plot-threads…the advantage to miniseries is they don’t have to stretch a story out (wouldn’t 24 have been tighter as 12 or 8?…less time for cougars and concrete security bunkers…or Lost if it had lost a season or two?)…

• vikinggeek says:

And yet both of you cared enough to read this and post.

• The Man they call Jack says:

I totally agree. Of all the shows they could have tried to save, this mediocre retread is the one SyFy chose. Where were they when Fox cancelled Firefly, I wonder?

• Nick says:

They weren’t around retard, maybe try thinking before you speak. Jesus crist, get over it, Firefly is done.

7. Rock Golf says:

Excellent news! This gives me a fresh chance to ignore the series on a whole new network!

8. Jacob says:

I’ll watch. The show frustrated me for most of the season, but I dug the final image of the finale. Very intriguing. I think a miniseries could serve the show well: cut down on filler, and just give us action.

9. Wade says:

Just let the show die.

10. Alex says:

Huh, interesting. It worked for Southland! Jason Ritter deserves s better show, but it’s always nice when cable rescues shows.

11. Randy says:

Not a chance in hell this will happen. Remember when they were talking about doing a direct to DVD movie of SGU to finish out the story? It never happens. Show runners talk a big game and lead fans on but in the end negotiations always break down.

12. DE says:

Great news. At least do a miniseries where they can bring some closure to the story. I’m in. Go Syfy.

13. Lana says:

This would be all kinds of awesome! I would love to see a real ending to the story…I have many questions that will never be answered!

14. Michael says:

Really?!? They cancel Caprica and want to revive THIS show?!? Blergh.

• bamalam says:

100% agree!

• allie says:

ok, well, I liked The Event and hope it gets picked up but I also agree with your post 100%. Both shows got better over time but Caprica was superior – no doubt.

• Kelly says:

It’s all about numbers. Apparently SyFy thinks it might be possible to bring down the budget to the point that the numbers (cost of making the miniseries) will be worth it in terms of viewers and advertising dollars.

While both shows are under the NBCUniversal production brand, Caprica was an expensive show to make, and before it was canceled had about 800,000 viewers and a .3 in the ratings.

In contrast, The Event finished with 4.8 million viewers and a 1.6 in the ratings. Even if you say “well, it’ll be half that in cableland”, that still puts the viewer numbers and ratings at well above what Caprica was bringing in, and in line with (although on the low end of) other SyFy properties.

That said, I doubt it will happen – SyFy wouldn’t have the budget of NBC for the show, and I doubt the creators would be willing to take that hit. (Or, for that matter, move production to Vancouver or Quebec.)

15. Jill says:

If a cable channel was going to save a show, I wish TNT would pick up Chicago Code instead (or FX, but they just had a failed Shawn Ryan show, so I doubt they’re jonesing for another).

16. MJA says:

I hope it happens! I watched every episode and loved it. It’s about time one of the many shows I’ve liked that has been cancelled, has a possibility to come back. They’ve cancelled some good shows that I’ve liked in the past and present like Invasion, Jericho, Moonlight, Flash Forward, The Good Guys, V, Hellcats, Outsourced, etc. I’ll definitely watch if The Event comes back!

• Andrew says:

Wow, you like some terrible shows!

• Amanda says:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Look at all the people who like Glee which IMO is just awful.

• ESLKid75 says:

Agree with Glee being awful. And many people like The Office and Parks and Recreations too. I don’t.
          FlashForward was good (not great). The Event was good, went bad, and came out great on the second half of the season…
          I liked V too.
          As mentioned above, would love for The Event to come back on Syfy and for the Chicago Code to come back wherever (FX, maybe?)

• Jason says:

I just got to say The Good Guys was the best new show on TV this year (possibly the best show on TV)!!!

• Amanda says:

The Good Guys was an awesome show! As per usual with Fox though, it got treated as an ugly stepchild.

• Lana says:

The Good Guys was hilarious, but Fox had it pegged as a failure right from the beginning. Those punks need to be busted.

• Chatty says:

Agreed. The show was hilarious and there was nothing like it on TV. Sure, I know it wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I miss it.

• Corinne says:

Me too. It may not have been the best show on television, but like Flash Forward, it was a nice change of pace. I try not to get into network tv shows til after they get picked up for the second season, cause network tv cancels shows that aren’t bringing in 10 million viewers. Thank God for cable channels happy about 3 million viewers each week, otherwise everything would be a reality show or a procedural drama.

17. Al says:

If you don’t have anything positive to say, please keep your comments to yourself. No one wants to read them anyway. Fine, you don’t like the show. So what? Why must you let everyone else know? The Event is an awesome show and I would be extremely happy if Syfy picks it up! The show is Sci-fi, people. I doesn’t have to be realistic or have the best writing, even though I disagree with people who say the show was badly written. The writing is just fine. Ok, bye :)

• Esaul says:

Well why can’t people who don’t like the show be able to express their opinion? Why can only people who love the show (as few as they are), be able to say something?

• Aurore says:

Except science fiction kinda has to be realistic otherwise it’s not science fiction; it’s fantasy.
      And the writing was poor(at best).

18. Shannon says:

The Event has fans? Its a rare show that makes me hate the main characters so much I actively want bad things to happen to them and watch them suffer, but The Event managed. The storyline was far too much like too many other storylines to interest me, and somehow it just activated all the cumulative boredom of the worst elements of Lost, FlashForward, and that one show about codes and encryption that I tried but it was so boring I didn’t remember its name. In general, I like speculative shows and will always give them a try, and I watched all of the abovenamed–some all the way through. But The Event just made me want to slap it.

Undercovers, another Abrams attempt, was on the other hand such a sweet, amusing, well put together little breeze of a show that was never given half the chance The Event squandered.

• hayleegator says:

LOL. great post. agreed! i hated the characters – no emotional attachment at all. hated the storyline – esp the Sean / Layla / Vicki…blah. the only thing i did like was the Simon and the prez were kinda hot. hahaha.

19. jay says:

this is great news. how can a show possibly just end after that finale. however, i’m not sure where the show would go from there, but i am eager to find out.

20. FLORENT says:

GREAT GREAT NEWS!!!!!!THE EVENT IS THE BEST NEW SHOW OF THE YEAR!!!I LOVE IT!!!

21. John Berggren says:

This is nuts. Congrats to fans of the event (I bailed before January) but I think there are more prestigious shows to be saved. Perhaps this was always better as a miniseries though. It seems they were laboring to withold a mystery rather than working to create an interesting story.

22. Melissa says:

At least if Syfy picks up the Event, then it’s picking up something that is even remotely science fiction, not like the wrestling or reality stuff it sometimes picks up. Shows like Fear Factor or Ghost Hunters aren’t SF at all.

23. PT Ryan says:

Corporate synergy, blah, blah, blah… But honestly, I much rather V or Human Target get revived on Syfy than this. Both of those shows had a larger audience after all.

• John Berggren says:

I’d much rather V lay dormant for 10 years and have someone who really cares about the property reinvent it. Human Target isn’t sci-fi enough.
      It’s very difficult to justify the spending on a network series when you are a cable channel. Human Target is not a budget friendly series – much as I’d love to see more of it.

24. Brandi says:

A tweet was sent out from @Syfy stating that they have no plans to pick up The Event at this time.

25. Dee says:

I admit I had a hard time getting into this show, but I gave it a chance – mainly because I don’t think we are alone in the Universe. It ended up giving me something to watch and I got hooked. I’d like to know what happened.

26. Elaine says:

Hope this works out. Wish they’d do the same for V … the V finale was mind-bendingly great… if only the regular episodes had been 1/2 that good, it’d still be around I’m sure (not smart to save all the good stuff for the last episode).

I found the event a tad slow,, not really eexciting, though once again, the finale left us with an intriguiing question. Hope it sticks around.

• Jason says:

There was just something missing in V. It didn’t feel like the real world! It needed to feel like the real world being invaded by aliens. You rarely saw regular people. The cast was way too small. How believable was it that the resistance was made up of four people?? And one of those was an alien!!

27. Lou says:

this is like Heroes all over again, it won’t happen

28. Eric says:

This show ended up surprising me. I was totally hooked and after the gangbuster finale, I’d love to know what happens next. Even though you know the whole thing about the First Lady, her response to the ending alone is worth the price of admission.

29. Aurore says:

Out of all the show that have been cancelled, I can’t believe The event is the one to be picked up.

30. Mar* says:

I’ll watch it. The final was intriguing for me, I want to know more.

31. Abby says:

I’d rather see Jason Ritter go back to Parenthood.

32. lene says:

YES!!!!! Jason Ritter is AMAZING! And i love Sean/Leila. Awesome cast, awesome storylines.

33. Malia says:

I wish they’d pick up “Chuck” instead.

• Corinne says:

Chuck was renewed for another season, plus I don’t think it would be a Syfy program.

• Malia says:

I know that Chuck was picked up for 13 more episodes, but I was referring to the fact that after those 13 it will be no more.

Also, I think it qualifies to be on SyFy just as much as Eureka.

• Mdz says:

I was thinking the same thing…I’m glad for everybody how likes The Event..I just wish Chuck got picked up after season 5 is over..Just saying if The Event,which has lower ratings than Chuck can make it…way can’t Chuck?

34. Denise says:

I do love how people who don’t like a tv show still follow articles about it just so they voice their disdain. Whatever. I wouldn’t mind a mini-series. I was enjoying the show.

• Kris says:

Thats exactly what i was thinking. All the idiots are so dedicated to posting on articles about shows they don’t like? Really? Im all for them renewing the show on SYFY. It wasnt the best show on tv but i did watch it and would love to see where it would go and possibly get some closure. Not to mention the fact that it was so called “tanking” on broadcast tv but it’s rating would be more than adequate for a cable series. Here’s hoping it gets picked up.

• Jason says:

The only problem will be that Scyfy will slash the budget. Anyone remember SLiders when it went to Scifi it became unwatchable. It didn’t even seem like the same show because the poroduction value went down so much!!

35. JimC says:

Just love the mopes that make comments about a show that they stuck with for all of 3 episodes. So 3 episodes makes you knowledgable about how good or bad a show is? Uh, sorry genius…it doesn’t. Much like Fast Forward this show came back strong but the problem is that they didnt grab enough of an audience early on…again just like FF. The last 6 or 7 episodes really turned this show around, I for one hope Syfy picks it up.

• LeAnn says:

Totally agree with you! I miss Flash Forward. That was a great show. I hope The Event gets picked up though!

36. beth says:

Awesome! We love this show, it’s our new “lost”.

37. Jon says:

Craig Engler of SyFy has already dispelled this rumor on twitter

38. Nicole says:

After burning through the last 6 eps this past weekend, I’m game for a miniseries. And if it’s good I’ll be on board for a season 2.

39. WLH says:

From now on I will not follow one of these type of series on a network without a definitive ending date written in stone!! I tried Life ON Mars, Flashforward and now The Event. If it shows up on the SYFY network to tied up the loose ends and then come to a final final conclusion without question I will give it a try however if it does not tell me an ending date up front then forget it!!

40. Diane says:

Yes continue it,but please not SYFY.Please put it on NBC or USA.I love SYFY but we can’t get it any more.I love The Event and I want to be able to watch it.Thanks.

• Anna says:

The show already struck out at NBC, and it’s not worthy of USA.

If USA, TNT or FX were to pick something up,I’d rather see Human Target, Chicago Code or Lie To Me get another chance.

41. tj says:

I wish they would! The Event really turned around for me after the LONG retooling or what ever NBC did.

42. marc says:

Great show. Hope that it will continue!

43. nuni says:

Nooooooo, I want Jason Ritter back on Parenthood with Lauren Graham!!!

44. StCl says:

I never watched it but I hope this works out and it get´s good ratings. That way if a show I like gets cancelled it might stand a better chance of surviving in someway.

45. John says:

Really, THIS of all the shows to get the “cable save”? I weep for Pushing Daisies, Veronica Mars, Kings, and many other high quality, cable-ready premises that DIDN’T gave saved.

46. Kira says:

Though I like the event, there are many more syfy-ish shows that would have done better moved to cable, in particular flashforward and v. both were more interesting/well written than this is. While I was hoping at least one of my killed shows would be saved, this was never it.

47. John S says:

The Event never really worked for me because of the acting, writing and direction – but I do appreciate that they had a story that was planned out and well constructed somewhere under the top level failures. I would like to see that story told, but I fear that the best delivery method for that tale is not TV. Divorce it from the writers, directors and actors that kept this tale from being compelling and move it to another medium (comics?) where the story can shine (in the hands of different writers).

48. Aeryn says:

Wha…? They cancelled SGU, and effectively bailed on any closing movies for Atlantis and SG-1 to pick THIS up? Seriously?

• Kelly says:

SyFy (NBCUniversal) didn’t produce Stargate (any of them), MGM did. MGM would be the one to blame for a lack of movies, as they don’t feel it would be profitable.

49. ACD says:

@Syfy just tweeted “To answer some questions I’ve been getting, at this time we have no plans to pick up The Event.”

50. Brandy says:

Yes please!! I am one of the few (apparently) who loved this show. The season really did start firing all cylinders towards the end of the season. I would love to see what happens next. Wish V could get some love, too.