Emmys

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Lead Comedy Actress Race — Including Our Dream Nominees

When it comes to the Emmy Awards, there’s no counting out 30 Rock’s Tina Fey. Ever. In 50 years, she’ll be Betty White. But this year’s Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series competition may be all about Showtime and its three show-stopping leading ladies. Will the Academy prescribe a consecutive win for Nurse Jackie’s Edie Falco, or will Toni Collette grab a second statue to go with Tara’s multiple personalities? Or could they and The Big C’s Laura Linney split the pay cable vote, leaving an opening for someone new, like Raising Hope’s Martha Plimpton?

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Best Comedy Race — And Sharing Our Dream Nominees

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote for your own favorite six below. And check back tomorrow for our review of the Lead Actor in a Comedy race!

1. MonsterY says:

Chuck fans are not cheating, it’s just that we saw this later(personally I saw it today) and now we’re voting.
    And for those who say Yvonne/Sarah is not funny I say that probably they didn’t see all episodes. Her character is serious but she manages to be funny(like Adam Baldwin/Casey). When she’s jealous she’s always funny… And I can make you many other examples(that only Chuck viewers can understand XD): “Is that a gun? No!”, the fake flash by Sarah, she playing with Morgan’s Chewie(OMG this sentence is so ambigous), Sexting on the plane, her reactions in the 4×03 cause of Heather, her jealousy in 4×02,or do you want to talk about the 4×11 when she tries(and manages to) scary Morgan in order to gain information on Chuck proposal? And these are only a few exemples(and I’m only talking about the comedic aspect of season four).

• heather says:

great examples!! Yvonne is a great actress who deserves to be nominated for an emmy. She is very comedic and I think that those few examples above illustrate that perfectly, from one chuckster to another:) you know everything she’s feeling, without her even saying a word…She DESERVES this!!!!!

• MonsterY says:

Yes exactly!! Comedy is only one of the many things she can do and as you say she can do it even with a sigle word or a gesture or a look/glance!
        Just to make few others exemple I can talk about her Valentine surprise, or about the scene at the bank(just the way she said “a little” killed me but the whole scene is great), or about the expression she did when Sofia’s bodyguard(in 4×02) confessed to her mistaking her for Sofia, or about the fight between her and Chuck in 4×07(good job by Zach too, he’s great), or… Okay I stop here so the comment won’t be too long XD BUT she is underrated so much by everyone except chucksters…

• Stefan says:

And don’t forget the funny scene at 4×09: “Anyone else want to be my boyfriend?”. But the performance of Yvonne in this whole episode is just amazing, like always :).

• MonsterY says:

Of course!! And in that episode even if the most important thing were drama and action there was some comedy too and she did all of this amazingly! The whole she-male thing made me laugh. And at the beginning of the episode when Chuck dreamed of himself and Sarah in bed and she says “I want you to flash” and the whole scene XD. Or at the end of the episode when general Beckman asked about the kidnapped Thai official and Sarah said that it was a “crazy coincidence” XD And it’s only a episode XD Yvonne is really… awesome!!

2. Kendra says:

LEA MICHELE IS PERFECT! I love her ♥ She is hilarious. I don’t know why Yvonne Strahovski is winning ¬¬

3. Bianca says:

Yvonne is perfect actress…. minha atriz preferida,Diva demais,atua perfeitamente,ela merece ganhar… Huhuh First !!! By: Brazil

4. Haniel says:

Lea Michele rulez! u_u

5. Emily says:

LEA LEA LEA!!!!!!!!! She is a VERY VERY VERY talented actress who can also sing AMAZINGLY and dance too!!! I hope she wins!

6. Ana says:

yEAH…
    Yvonne is awesome…
    To me sarah walker isn’t a comedy’s character, but Yvonne is comedy, drama, action …PERFECT.
    SO
    BRAZIL VOTING FOR YVONNE

7. Pablo says:

Lea is the best, so simple, I think there is discussion about it, also are in the best comedy momento.Ella perfect blend of sweetness, talent and charisma.

8. Socool says:

She`s winning this poll for nothing, she isn’t even participating for Lead Actress in a Comedy, she is going for Supporting Actress .. so i guess it’s all for fun :)
    btw. TvLine should get their sources straight when they make this kind of polls otherwise they could just put Zachary Levi at lead Actress and he`ll also probably win :))

• MonsterY says:

She’s as lead as the others!! She’s the second most important character in Chuck and the first is a male and the title character!! But she is the most important among the females on Chuck! She’s have been in every episode and has always played an important part in everyone of them so I think she’s lead. So I don’t know why she shouldn’t be in the lead category.

9. Briar says:

Kind of rude/sad of the description of Yvonne Strahovski. I hope she wins and proves people who think that its very slim of her to win an Emmy. Glad shes Australian and doing us down under proud!

10. Lailah says:

Tina Fey THE QUEEN OF COMEDY!!! she is absolutely brilliant in both the writing and the delivery. Lea Michelle ISN’T FUNNY and she doesn’t deserve to be included among these truly funny women.

11. jojo says:

i loved courtney cox on friends and agree it is mind-boggling that she never got nominated during her ‘golden years’ but she isn’t that great in cougar town so to ‘imply’ that she deserves it because of friends is kind of like cheating. her work now just isn’t up to par with the other women in this category.

the only award the glee girl should be nominated for is the kids choice award for her juvenile portrayal of a high school kid

go amy, tina, yvonne, and mary-louis :)

12. ashbieber says:

COME ON GUYZ!!!!!
    LEA MICHELE NEEDS MORE VOTE!!!
    COME ON GLEEKS….WE NEED 2 SUPPORT HER!!!!!!

13. Clansy says:

Give the Emmy to the sweeter than honey Kaley Cuoco!!! She deserves it!

14. Paul says:

Yvonne is fantastic! Her talent goes way beyond “Chuck”. She will surely be one of the best actresses of the world , it´s just a question of time.

• Stefan says:

I would say she already is, but not so well-known (at least in non-English speaking countries). But I am sure this will change in the next some years.

• wilka75 says:

Hi, I am from Germany, and I am a big fan of Chuck. I watched all four seasons and in my opinion Yvonne did a very good job. She displays emotions very good. So I think she deserves it.

• Stefan says:

I am from Germany too, but unfortunately just the minority knows Chuck in Germany. But that was and is not a big surprise with that bad advertising and bad air time of our TV network for Chuck two years ago.

15. GGermanotta says:

Yvonne Strahovski deserves it!

16. Laura says:

Yvonne is incredible in every sense of the word. Her talent far exceeds many of the other talented contenders listed. Unfortunately her show is not as popular, but her fans are diehard. So she may not win the emmy, but she will win this poll because she deserves it.

17. krijn says:

Also on the party at vivian volkoff: Chuck: It gifs the tense of an orgy party. Yvonne: No, I have been to those kind off parties, and they arent anything like this. Chuck: What????!!!@@@

18. Richard Frank says:

What about the ladies of Modern Family??? They ALL run rings around Amy.

19. Caiti says:

Can I do a write in vote for Annie? (Alison Brie)

20. JenInChicago says:

OK – we get it, there are Gleeks and Chuck fanatics….however, you can’t put Lea and Yvonne in the same basket as Amy Poehler. Amy is, by far, the best lead actress in a comedy on TV today.

21. manga mhlabane says:

kaley cuoco, my opinion and vote i must admit r totally bias. But what can i say she’s beautiful and a terrific actress. What would a star be with the beauty we love to admire

22. Nikki says:

There are so many great actresses out there! Tina Fey is a genius. Amy Poehler is hilarious. Courtney Cox was funny on Friends and awesome on Cougar Town. Lea Michele is so talented(I may be mistaken but the category is musical or comedy). Nurse Jackie isn’t really a comedy, Edie Falco said that in her acceptance speech last year.(She is awesome though!) I think they are all deserving. If I had to choose I’d say Amy Poehler this year.

• Laugh says:

I agree with this post! I’d like to see Courteney take it down and give the show a boost ala 30 Rock when Tina won. I love everything Tina does, I could just watch her brush her teeth and it would be funny.

23. Dave Certano says:

How is Colby Smulders (How I met your mother) not on the list?

24. Mariano says:

Kaley és sin duda una revelación. ÉS bárbara cuando gesticula y cuando hace de niña tierna. cox és buena pero kaley debería ser la ganadora sin duda. SWEETLY KATY

25. davidolivarez says:

i vote 4 kaley cuoco

26. alex says:

Knock knock knock. “Penny?” All I gotta say.

27. Bianca says:

Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope is absolutely hilarious and she fully deserves to be nominated and win the award for her role.

28. deezpokernutz says:

KALEY FROM BIG BANG THEORY DESERVES THE NOD THIS YEAR VERY BRIGHT TALENTED ,YOUNG ACTRESS THAT I HOPE TO SEE MUCH MORE OF IN THE FUTURE

29. tvfan says:

obviously the people who vote on these things don’t watch premium cable or are too young to be allowed to. the fact that yvonne is beating edie, toni, and laura speaks volumes about the people who come to this site.

30. Michelle says:

I voted for Amy, Edie, Toni, Tina, Martha and Laura. Am I being a bit optimistic about Martha Plimpton? Probably, but Raising Hope has been on of the highlights for me this year and a big part of that is because Martha is hilarious. TBBT has been pretty average for me this year, I don’t think the writers did a good job incorporating 3 new characters. Glee has been a trainwreck this season, and this is coming from someone who proudly declared herself a Gleek last season. I’d be nice to see Community get some recognition in an acting category too.

31. Darlene says:

If anyone should win from ‘Glee’, it should be Heather Morris. Her character, Brittany Pierce is without a doubt, the reason that show would even be considered a comedy. She & the character Sue Sylvester are amazing.

32. Mateen says:

Kaley Cuoco all the way.

33. what about Brooke Elliot “Drop Dead Diva ” very funny lady

34. Robert says:

Yvonne is probably the best actress in the latest years, the problem ia that “Chuck” is getting too little for her huge talent.

35. Gulen says:

LeaMichele<3

36. Donna says:

penny from big bang should win hands down.. she is not even nominated..

37. newrich3 says:

Kaley Cuoco. You seen her, right?

38. Laugh says:

I don’t think it’s an accident that both Friends and Cougar Town have casts with such a tight bond. Courteney Cox is looooong overdue for some Emmy love!!!!! Jules will drink to that in her giant wine glass!

39. Laugh says:

I love me some Chuck and I even bought a Subway to help save the show! But Sarah’s character is not a funny character and I wouldn’t reward her as a comedic actress. She isn’t supposed to be..and it’s not like she sets up the funny as the straight man, either. Chuck, Casey, Morgan, Awesome, Ellie, and ESPECIALLY Alexei Volkoff!!! Timothy Dalton has been stealing the show!

• Laugh says:

OOPS, I didn’t finish my sentence..I listed a bunch of names and meant to reference that they are all the funny characters and Sarah is pretty much a wet noodle. She justs stands there and looks pretty until it’s time to kick some @ss!

• MonsterY says:

Read my comments on the top of the page… So yes she is funny.

• Laugh says:

I re-read your post and it is your opinion that she makes you laugh. Sarah, as a character, just doesn’t make me laugh..oh, I’m sure I have laughed before at something she’s done, but she is not a funny character. She’s not supposed to be. The General is funny on more of a regular basis imo. I really like Yvonne’s acting, but you can’t have a bunch of silly people running around on a spy show. She’s the serious part that tries to make it more “believable” that someone is actually a spy on that show.

I’m so glad that Chuck is coming back for another season and I’m bummed that Sarah Lancaster’s pregnancy may have cost her a chance to have Ellie get the Intersect…I thought that seemed like the way to go, but it’ll be fun to see Morgan flashing and Zac can stop crossing his eyes!

Either way, Chuck doesn’t get enough love from real voters so I don’t expect any noms for them, unfortunately.

40. gleeklovesjordan says:

Lea Michelle all the way! im such a gleek!!!! finchel <3

41. jenna says:

Courteney Cox for the win! Yeah for Friends she deserves it for sure but here I talk about Cougar Town and she deserves it for THIS show!

Love her as Jules, crazy mom, friends and lover. Love her high voice when she screams…

42. Ruzz says:

Yvonne Strahovski!! She deserves it!

43. jackie mattis says:

I’m torn between the fabulous Courtney Cox; who shows that sexuality is an important part of a womans’ being wthout being ‘promiscuous’, and Kaley Cuoco who’s role in “The Big Bang Theory” makes the show the hit it is. Emmy worthy for sure.

44. Alexia says:

Lea, Lea, Lea, LEA MICHELE :D Yup! I’m a gleek and I LOVE LEA <3 :)

45. Max says:

Yvonne Strahovski she deserves an Emmy nomination.

46. Starr Lopez says:

I don’t see where your logic of how Lea Michele acts comes into consideration if “Lea” wins the Emmy. Her character ‘Rachel Berry’ and her are two different people. And just for people to say she is talentless or not funny, I say you guys are jealous and unaware of how great she really is.

47. KateSolis21 says:

Courteney Cox, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler. I could care less about the others.

48. Zonika barkley says:

Yvonne all the way!!!!!!!!!!!’

49. Ange says:

Voted Yvonne Strahovski from “Chuck”, BEST SHOW EVER, and Yvonne is awesome!

50. Ange says:

Voted Yvonne Strahovski from “Chuck”, BEST SHOW EVER, and Yvonne is completely awesome!