Emmys

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Lead Comedy Actress Race — Including Our Dream Nominees

When it comes to the Emmy Awards, there’s no counting out 30 Rock’s Tina Fey. Ever. In 50 years, she’ll be Betty White. But this year’s Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series competition may be all about Showtime and its three show-stopping leading ladies. Will the Academy prescribe a consecutive win for Nurse Jackie’s Edie Falco, or will Toni Collette grab a second statue to go with Tara’s multiple personalities? Or could they and The Big C’s Laura Linney split the pay cable vote, leaving an opening for someone new, like Raising Hope’s Martha Plimpton?

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Best Comedy Race — And Sharing Our Dream Nominees

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote for your own favorite six below. And check back tomorrow for our review of the Lead Actor in a Comedy race!

Comments (721)

• LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE LEA MICHELE

Lea Michele deserves to win!!!! She’s Very Talented. <3

Comment by Lea Michele Fan – June 2, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just threw up in my mouth

Comment by Getovergleealready – June 2, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy, Lea, Martha, Kaley, Courtney, Tina, Melissa,

Comment by Liz – June 2, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you ALL vote for Glee :(

SHEEP

Comment by Alyssa – June 2, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or they like Lea Michele. following the hate sheep i see.

Comment by stop – June 2, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess it’s all about how well we relate to the comedian and their comedy…Mary L Parkers my evil twin, and I love no other female comedian more. Talk about dead pan…

Comment by Miss Mica – June 2, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski, definitely. If Lea Michele wins Emmy, I’ll lose all my respect for these awards.

Comment by Anna S. – June 2, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please as least she has been nominated before Yvonne whom I like hasn’t been consider after years now.

Comment by rude – June 2, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the way for Mary Louise Parker! Six years of outstanding performance. Nancy Botwin is amazing. Give her what she deserves. Otherwise, Laura Linney and Courtney Cox are also cool. But Amy Poehler, no way, P&R is like The office, nothing new. Booooooooring. I’m tired of Lea Michelle and Glee. It’s all about Showtime this year.

Comment by Nico – June 2, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs from COMMUNITY? I mean, that show is hilarious AND, in the season finale, Alison Brie kicked ass! I demand a recount! lol

Comment by WirednWicked – June 2, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • probably in the supporting category.

Comment by sheri – June 2, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How sad. Their characters are leads. I mean, it is incredible how funny they are. Has anyone else but me watched this show? Gillian Jacobs threw out a corpse from a window? As grim as it sounds, it was hilarious! Also, Yvette Nicole Brown gave birth in a classroom full of people while Ms. Jacobs threw up and then cut the cord! LOL COME ON!

Comment by WirednWicked – June 2, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No they’re a true ensemble show. Except Joel McHale I think. I do hope they and the show get nominated though. Sooo funny!!!

Comment by Mini – June 2, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love Mary-Louise Parker! I think she is amazing in Weeds. Not many people could carry off her character but she does it flawlessly. She’s gifted and I love her…. She is Nancy Botwin.

Comment by Jennifer – June 2, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t belive..Lea Michele fans found this pool –’ kids go back to your beds,grow up and then learn what a real and good comedy actress really is! She sucks,and oh..nobody beat Courteney Cox..just saying.

Comment by kiko – June 2, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am 36 and voted for Lea and Courtney. No reason to be dismissive of other people’s opinion.

I find the character Rachel Berry extremely funny and love how she is played.

Comment by Jane – June 2, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m 44 and voted for Lea! Love her I hope she wins!

Comment by Lisa – June 2, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lea was praized by critics on broadway and at glee, golden globe and emmy noms proved, so don’t let your hate blind you the girl is talented and deserves the nom.

Comment by renata – June 2, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So great to see Lea Michele on this list. Just hope that people begin to realize that this young lady has crazy talent. Her voice has got to be among the very best talents that I’ve ever heard and i’ve been around for 57 years! But her acting has been so impressive this year. Her character on Glee is such a great vehicle for an actress and vocal talent that I think is without parallel. Its going to be nice having Lea Michele around for a lot of years!

Comment by steve – June 2, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love Glee and Lea Michele, I don’t think she’s worthy of an Emmy as much as a Tony. I would love for Yvonne to get a nomination. Chuck’s entire cast, and the show itself, is underappreciated especially in the award-winning category. After an AMAZING penultimate season I would love for them to get some Emmy love!

Comment by Samantha – June 2, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who I think will be nominated: Tina, Amy, Lea, Laura, Edie, Toni

Who I WANT to be nominated: Tine, Amy, Lea, Martha, Melissa, Kaley

I think Laura Linney will win, despite the fact that she’s not the best actress in a comedy (HELLO, AMY!). I’m over all the showtime shows now, though. It feels disingenuous to put them in comedy. At least when I watch Glee most of the time I laugh (don’t get me started on that god-awful religion episode, or the crap-fest that was the wedding episode).

Lea Michele deserves to be nominated, not win. Maybe some day, but not this year. I just hope she’ll be nominated.

Comment by julie – June 2, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So hard to choose one! Toni Collette is amazing in The united States of Tara! Mary-Louise Parker had me hooked from the first Episode of Weeds! Laura Linny is a trip!! Edie Falco is the queen of underhanded comments! SHOWTIME ROCKS!

Then there’s the ABC’s COURTNEY COX on Cougar Town which is one show I am so glad plays back on on-demand! She makes me laugh till my face hurts!

I can’t choose!! Those are the only shows I ever watch and I look forward to them all! Good luck to all the ladies this year! You should all get awards!! Muahhh! Ps just watched my first episodes of Raising Hope this week on on-demand, loved it!!

Comment by Erin – June 2, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Either Tina Fey or Mary-Louise Parker. 30 Rock and Weeds are two of my absolute favorites.

Comment by W30 – June 2, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary Louise-Parker ask the way!!!!!

Comment by Shailee – June 2, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy, Tina, Lea, Laura, Edie, Toni.

Either Laura or Amy for the win.

Comment by Spring – June 2, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hahahahahah at all these gross Lea Michele fanboys acting like her constipated facial expressions and singing are keys to winning a COMEDY Emmy. Thank god all these Gleetards don’t get to vote for the Emmys.

Comment by Amanda – June 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really if you don’t like her that is fine, you have a right to your opinion, but know reason to be nasty or call her fan names.

she was nominated before so to think she is a contender is not far fetched.

Comment by Lonny – June 2, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • gleeks gleetards same thing

Comment by lindsay – June 6, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “gleetards”? Classy.

Comment by Mini – June 2, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your real classy, your parents must be real proud. Just so you know, no matter what you think Lea Michele is worthy of winning an Emmy, because she has talent. Why aren’t you nominated, because your probably talentless and maybe also, us ‘Gleetards’ rather follow and idolize someone worth appreciation.

Comment by Starr Lopez – June 8, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele deserves to win!! She’s very talented!! Yes she’s in a huge bracket of very talented women don’t get me wrong! But she’s a bright shining star and deserves to win for her hard work, her amazing voice and her role in one of the best shows on tv today! It’s not all blood n guts or vampires, or cop/detective work! It’s raw talent at it’s best!

Comment by Naomi.A – June 2, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edie Falco is hands-down the best tv actress of her time. Nurse Jackie is a smart, funny, touching show that will be overlooked by most because it’s not on the major 3 networks. It’s a shame that most people can’t or don’t see it, because I think your opinions would definitely change.

Comment by Banana – June 2, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where is Melissa McCarthy?

Comment by Erica – June 2, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie!

Comment by Debbie Joy – June 2, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote would go to Toni Collette, boy can that woman act her freakin’ butt off! Not only does she act well, but she gives life to several characters because of the whole DID aspect of her character. I’d be exhausted…

Comment by bobby – June 2, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The lady who plays Tara literally Plays ten people an episode and sequentially as well. She should definitely win.

Comment by Austen – June 2, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      A hundred times over, yes!

Comment by Penny Rene – June 2, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele of course!! She’s a great actress :) And her voice when she sings is from another planet!

Comment by Karen – June 2, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courtney Cox or Amy Poehler. How is there no Modern Family, though? Is the entire ensemble considered support?

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – June 2, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Modern Family is in supporting category

Comment by Joe – June 2, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think when submitting nominations, they submit them all as supporting roles, no idea why but that’s how they do it.

BUT glad they did, the leading lady category as we can see….already stacked.

Comment by KSWerleman – June 2, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Edie Falco ROCKS at acting while playing Nurse Jackie.

Comment by Kathleen Baker – June 2, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney cox for me she’s so funny, love her high voice sometimes lol

Comment by jay – June 2, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I vote on Amy 6 times?

She deserves so much.!

Seriously, Lea Michelle winning? I’m a Glee fan, but I’m not blind.

Comment by Mariana – June 2, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree on that about Lea Michelle. A good show does not make a great actress.

Comment by Penny Rene – June 2, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You think Glee is a good show? It’s more like a good actress in a crappy show.

Comment by Marni – June 3, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TONI COLETTE -
    I have watched most of these others shows and fail to see how any other woman could lead in this poll.

Comment by Penny Rene – June 2, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele is defiantly the most talented !

Comment by Chanel – June 2, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.LEA.

Lea Michele deserves this Emmy because she is just so talented. Whether it is acting, singing, or dancing she is always amazing. When she acts she always gives 110% and it shows. When she is acting in a sad scene, she is so realistic you want to cry, and when she is part of a funny scene it is so easy to laugh. She is like that in every scene of Glee and she deserves to be recognized in this wonderful event. Glee is a hysterical show with a hilarious cast that works together outstandingly. If Lea does not win I do not understand people today. She is young, talented, and amazing. Although there is no denying that everyone nominated for this category is so hilarious I think Lea shines the brightest. Of course i agree that each of the women on this list are amazing…my heart lies with Lea. Lea is gorgeous, talented, and youthful!! She is a such an amazing role model and lots of young girls look up to her and she plays a very inspirational character. LEA MICHELE FOR THE EMMY!

Comment by remy harnick – June 2, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by remy harnick – June 2, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Toni Collette all the way. She is amazing!

Comment by Shona – June 2, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marylouise Parker

Comment by Veronica – June 2, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TONI!!!!!!!!

Comment by S – June 2, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has got to be the BEST group of women we’ve seen in MANY MANY years.

Leading the pack are certainly Laura Linney who had a FLAWLESS performance in The Big C, Toni Collette has done AMAZING this season and EVen Lea Michelle, she has proven to be a great comedian, especially in the Blame it on the alcohol episode.

Other top names, Edie Falco, Tina Fey, Mary-Louise Parker and Amy Pholer.

Other great nods are Patricia Heaton, Martha Plimpton, Tamsin Greig and Kaley Cuoco i wouldn’t mind seeing nominated.

All the women above TRULY worthy of a Emmy nominee, sucks is only six i’d nominate all of them lol

At the bottom of the barrell is probably Couteney Cox, Melissa McCarthney and Yvonne Strahovski

Comment by KSWerleman – June 2, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele, REALLY?? She’s a good actress, but she is not in the same LEAGUE as these other women.

Amy Poehler deserves the win – she has just been HILARIOUS on Parks and Rec this season, but I also love Tina Fey!

Comment by CC – June 2, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • many seem to think Lea is and was last year as well.

i don’t see why not, her character is really funny and she plays her to the hilt.

As far as this season she probably was more consistently funny than any other characters.

Comment by Owen – June 2, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly, this she HAS been funny, Lea Michelle, funny? something i never expected. BUT when i saw her in the “Blame it on the Alcohol” episodes, she showed her comedic side, they should submit THAT episode for Best Comedy Series and as an acting nod for Lea Michelle, she was spectacular in that episode, she was super funny and honestly this whole season, she has been consistant with her acting. IMO she is one of the front runners to win this. Like i said in my post, their are 9 women who REALLY REALLY deserve, so to say who doesn’t is kinda hard, i wish i could nominate em all. I just HOPE toni collette goes home with a nod, like the New Adventures of old Christine, i’d love to see her go out with a nominee. Next year tougher being Tina’s last year…and potentionally Mary Louis-Parker last year….SOO seeing either of them get nominated is a plus and Mary Louis winning would be a blessing.

Comment by KSWERLEMAN – June 2, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok this is my prediction ;

Amy Poehler
    Lea Michele
    Laura Linney
    Toni Colette
    Martha Plimpton
    Edie Falco

i think amy is gonna win

Comment by jlaff – June 2, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loove Tina Fey, she has to win this one. She is really funny

Comment by Neo – June 2, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey deserves it, she is really good at what she does and thats to entertain!

Comment by Neo – June 2, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Toni C. Hands down! No one else is needed in her category unless shes going againt herself with the many characters she plays in united states of tara!

Comment by Destiny – June 2, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As far as raw acting talent goes, Toni Collette really deserves this. She really convincingly plays so many different characters. It is a crying shame that this show was cancelled. I’m legitimately upset. I will continue to follow Weeds, Nurse Jackie, and The Big C, but as far as future series are concerned, Showtime and I are through.

Comment by Eric Dupont – June 2, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This list is full of amazing actresses but my vote goes for Lea Michele simply Because she is phenomenal and complete in all departments ( Humor/Drama she is just incredible and she doesnt even have to say a word just her facial expression can make you feel all kind of things) and she is a hard working girl who deserves Emmy!

Comment by Deb – June 2, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some one up thread said that using the singing in regards to why Lea should be nominated is a “cop out”. I guess this person has not seen glee. The point of most of the songs they do is to express emotions due to the situation they are in at the time.

Rachel Berry lives life as if she were performing on the stage, in all is theatrical bliss. Music is a integral part of her life and her story.

The songs are performances that help tell the story so yes her singing is relevant to her acting and her deserved nomination last year and hopefully this year.

Comment by henri – June 2, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, it is the same as saying Toni Collette does multiple personalities. It is all a part of the character and therefore is acting.

Comment by Kit – June 2, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney Cox should win already! This girl knows how to be funny

Comment by gula – June 2, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX COURTENEY COX

Comment by Kylie – June 2, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by lola – June 2, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by friends town – June 2, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney, Tina, Amy, Toni the great comedy actress, talented and cult

Comment by bass – June 2, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After 10 yeears of being overshadowed on Friends despite, in my opinion, being the best actress in Friends, Courteney Cox deserves an Emmy. Cougar Town is teh funniest show out there. I like Lea Michele, but she’s done nothing noteworthy for me. I’d like to see Toni nommed as she’s probably the best all-round actress here, and Martha Plimton/Raising Hope deserves some recognition.

Comment by Pete – June 2, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post