Emmys

Emmys 2011: A Look at the Lead Comedy Actress Race — Including Our Dream Nominees

When it comes to the Emmy Awards, there’s no counting out 30 Rock’s Tina Fey. Ever. In 50 years, she’ll be Betty White. But this year’s Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series competition may be all about Showtime and its three show-stopping leading ladies. Will the Academy prescribe a consecutive win for Nurse Jackie’s Edie Falco, or will Toni Collette grab a second statue to go with Tara’s multiple personalities? Or could they and The Big C’s Laura Linney split the pay cable vote, leaving an opening for someone new, like Raising Hope’s Martha Plimpton?

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Best Comedy Race — And Sharing Our Dream Nominees

Review this slideshow of the major contenders — including TVLine’s half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote for your own favorite six below. And check back tomorrow for our review of the Lead Actor in a Comedy race!

Comments (721)

• Glad Amy Poehler is leading in the poll. If she isn’t nominated for an Emmy this year, there really is no justice in the (entertainment) world.

Comment by S – June 1, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur wholeheartedly.

Comment by Natalie – June 1, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you speak the truth

Comment by ddutchie88 – June 1, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that!

Comment by Sarah – June 1, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Her portrayal of Leslie Knope has been utterly flawless this year.

I’d love to see Yvonne Strahovski sneak in there too, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Comment by Bethany – June 1, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You got that right!

Comment by Justin – June 1, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen.

Comment by Nanda – June 2, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Lea Michele is leading now and I so don’t get it. Yeah, she’s fine in that role, but she is so not better than Amy Poehler – in fact she isn’t even in the Top 10 on this list.

Comment by djm – June 2, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If we are going by the most talented (not the most popular) she (Lea Michele) wins hands down, and people are showing their support for her talent! :)

Comment by sing.dance.perform – June 3, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yvonne is catching her FAST. Good luck Yvonne! God knows you deserve it! I’ve yet to see another actress as versatile as you – comedy/action/romance all rolled into one!

Comment by tomf60 – June 4, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well she certainly caught up! Gotta love Chuck fans..they can do anything. ;)

Comment by Meagan – June 6, 2011 08:29 AM PDT
          • AGREE!! :D

Comment by cuike – June 7, 2011 02:26 AM PDT
          • I so agree!!!

Comment by Diane – June 8, 2011 12:38 PM PDT
          • I want to add one more thing. Chuck fans are the BEST fans!!!

Comment by Diane – June 8, 2011 12:41 PM PDT
          • I TOTALLY agree!! Yvonne is really really good in everything she’s doing and Chuck is a great show just because it has everything in it from comedy to drama from romance to action… and just like Diane said: Chuck’s fans are the greatest :)…GO YVONNE!!

Comment by Lucy – June 9, 2011 11:48 AM PDT
          • I agree.
            Yvonne is The Best.

Comment by Ricky – June 28, 2011 04:30 PM PDT
        • Preach! Lea Michele will win. Hands down, if she doesn’t I won’t be happy…

Comment by SingAsIfOneWasListening – June 12, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I`m with you! I am praying for her to win this!

Comment by Aline – June 12, 2011 09:08 AM PDT
          • SAME! If she doesnt i WILL cry!

Comment by Sam – June 16, 2011 03:11 AM PDT
    • i concur

Comment by bonge – June 2, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Timmy timmy tina fey…

Comment by harry potter – June 2, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely disagree. Amy is the reason I find P & R so unwatchable. I didn’t find her funny on SNL, I didn’t find her funny on this show, and she made Baby Mamas unbearable, despite the presence of Tina, perhaps the best female comedian I’ve ever seen.

Comment by sashay – June 2, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um… what about Gillian Jacobs and Alison Brie from Community???

Comment by LJ – June 3, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Alison Brie on Community, but she is more a supporting actress than lead actress.

Comment by David – June 7, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think yvonne strahovski deserves it…i enjoyed her role in CHUCK

Comment by samuel – June 3, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, mate ! Even Amy Poehler can’t beat out the amazing job that Yvonne does in every single aspect of her acting, especially in Chuck. She can do anything and everything that is asked of her. And that’s a tough quality to attain in Hollywood.

Comment by Meagan – June 3, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree… she can play any roles that she wants….

Comment by cherish – June 5, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I also agree yvonne should win. She funny and she does an amazing job as Sarah walker in the show chuck which is the greatest show ever.

Comment by jasmine – June 7, 2011 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • are you voting for the actress or the program? she’s not nearly as funny nor has as good a line delivery as Kaley Cuoko, IMO.

Comment by Sherrie – June 7, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i totally agree kaley Cuoko, will take it this year.

Comment by g.crow – June 7, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She deserves it more than anyone

Comment by Tammy – June 9, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So I must be dense but where are the dream nominees listed?

Comment by Jane – June 8, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who the heck is Amy Poehler? Since I do not watch the majority of shows listed above, because they are pretty much all crap, except Chuck, I would have to disagree, but to each their own.

Comment by E-non-o-mas – June 9, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • how can there be any doubt-Laura has already won the Golden Globe-she encompasses every aspect of real life acting-you feel her every emotion-strengths are pure talent of an actress-she is awesome and my vote is for Laura Linney-hands down-

Comment by beth ross – July 6, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COURTENEY COX ALL THE WAY! SHE IS THE BEST AND DESERVE A EMMY ALREADY!

Comment by lila – June 1, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where are the Happy Endings’ girls!?

Comment by Daniel – June 1, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’d say all of them are probably more supporting than lead. But out of them, Casey Wilson steals the show and is the most deserving!

Comment by Alex – June 1, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Courtney cox!

Comment by Linz – June 2, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES!! She is amazing,especially in Cougar Town, one of the funniest shows! But i do think that lea michele is the most talented in her role :)

Comment by sing.dance.perform – June 3, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cox for sure the show is so funny. Love her!

Comment by Brooke – June 3, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree more! For the love of God,give Courteney Cox that LONG over-due Emmy nomination!

Comment by Kylie – June 9, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER <3

Comment by F – June 1, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is the year of the Poehler!

Comment by Ajie – June 1, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMY POEHLER, ALL THE AWARDS.

Comment by Joana – June 1, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler !!!

Comment by Aron – June 1, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has GOT to be Courteney’s year!

Comment by Kristy – June 1, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courtney Cox deserves a nomination this year, definitely. No doubt about that.
    I personally don’t think Lea Michele deserves one, although I think she will get nominated and may even win. There are just way too many other women in the field who deserve nominations and that pushes her down on my list.

Comment by the girl – June 1, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Courtney Cox was robbed last year of a nom(she can’t seem to break that curse of being the only FRIENDS cast member never to have been nominated)so if she gets left off this year then I give up. And I hope Lea Michele DOES get snubbed for playing the most irritatingly character on GLEE. That said, I expect it to come down to Edie Falco and Laura Linney.

Comment by ChrisGa – June 1, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pleas e Rachel is hardly as annoying as anyone else. Plus Lea has to do drama, comedy, sing and dance she deserves it as much as any of these woman.

Comment by Frank – June 1, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I could’t agree more!
          And her facial expression are literally EPIC!
          She sings like heaven and she act wonderfully, so why can’t she be nominated?:)

Comment by Irene – June 1, 2011 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • because it’s a comedy nomination? nothing about her role in glee is funny…Courtney Cox all the way.

Comment by nein – June 2, 2011 01:39 PM PDT
          • right on! She has amazing talent ALL ROUND! and, yes, glee, and Rachel berry, are funny! hence the title lead COMEDY actress?? look yes there are some other hilarious people on there but I think Lea Michele deserves it!

Comment by sing.dance.perform – June 3, 2011 01:55 PM PDT
        • This is a COMEDY nomination… the winner should be the person who makes everybody laugh the most, not who sings and dances the best. Courteney Cox is so much funnier than Lea Michele

Comment by JRS – June 3, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Um,, Lea is funny have you not watched the show? She had hilarious facial expressions and songs that she makes up, aside from her rude remarks and her craziness in thinking she’s the best. She cracks me up all the time

Comment by gsgs – July 20, 2011 04:36 PM PDT
        • True, on Glee Lea Michele does have to do drama, singing and dancing as well as comedy, but this is an award for COMEDY, not for the other things, and she doesn’t do it the best out of the other actresses. And as much as I appreciate Edie Falco and Toni Collette, their shows are not really that comedic. Amy Poehler for the win!!

Comment by leslieknope:) – June 6, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lea Michele is probably one of the MOST worthy nominees for this category… while yes, Courtney Cox is a talented actress, she’s had her day in the sun already. Helllooo ever heard of a little show called Friends? Laura Linney from the Big C who? Edie Falco from Nurse Jackie who? I’ve never even heard of either one of those shows. Lea Michele does it ALL. She sings, acts(really convincingly because she’s nothing like Rachel Berry WHO isn’t irritating just ambitious), dances, and more than all these women combined. To be a true performer, and deserving of this nominee, the actress should be talented in other ways than JUST comedy. Although Lea Michele is very talented in that aspect as well. When I think LEAd Comedy Actress, I think LEA Michele.

Comment by Christina – June 1, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I AGREE! LEA deserves an Emmy so badly, in fact she is a TRUE star!

Comment by Rach – June 1, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I so agree with you! And look who’s in the lead :-D

Comment by Ali – June 1, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lea Michelle for sure… Talk about new vision and talent… I mean wow! She is a superstar in the making :)

Comment by Kerry White – June 1, 2011 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree. To me Lea is totally the best candidate . Truly the most talented .

Comment by Rob LouVierre – June 1, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lea deserves the EMMY! She didn’t got it last year, I hope she gets it this year!
          By the way, why is Kaley Cuoco in the Lead Actress category? She is a supporting actress.

Comment by D – June 1, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree with you all the way! Lea is probably one of the most, if not the most talented young actress of our generation! LEA ALL THE WAY!!! =]It takes a lot of hard work and talent to sing dance and act and be so wholesome and kind :D

Comment by gLeekgaLster123 – June 1, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen ;)

Comment by Irene – June 2, 2011 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree with you I hope Lea´s win This year, she really do a Hardwork With Rachel and she is so talented,She deserved WIN!!!!

Comment by Ruth – June 2, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL, sorry, but what? Just because you’ve never heard of the shows doesn’t mean the actresses don’t deserve the award.
          (And Amy Poehler deserves it way more than Michelle, just saying)

Comment by forceofhabit – June 2, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hello, this category is for Lead Comedy Actress. It’s not for singing or dancing. That said, I like Lea Michele a lot. But there is no comparison between her and Toni Collette, the star of United States of Tara. Her character suffers from DID, or multiple personality disorder, and the way she switches from character to character is just awesome. She goes from playing a horny teenage girl to a 50s style homemaker, to a NY-style female therapist, to a biker dude, to a terrifying young boy who’s trying to kill all the other alters. And she does it seemlessly. Just because you’ve never seen a particular show doesn’t mean you can count them out. All it means is you’re not qualified to judge.

Comment by Linda S – June 2, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Couldn’t agree more! & Lea doesn’t have to be funny, the SHOW is a comedy/musical not LEA! She is the actress in the COMEDY. She deserves this emmy the most! Lea is the most talented, sweetest, inspiring, and gifted woman on our Earth. Lea Michele ALL THE WAY! Keep voting Lea. She deserves it the most, she works SOOO hard!!! I know how much it would mean to her, she loves her fans, lets show some love back!:)

Comment by Zoe – June 9, 2011 04:31 PM PDT
        • So what you’re saying is she’s obviously better than actresses in shows you haven’t even seen? Great logic.

Comment by Matt – June 2, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally concur!!!
          She’s amazing and really deserves this.

Comment by Crystal – June 2, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Did you just say Laura Linney who and Edie Falco who? You obviously know nothing about great actors or tv. Laura Linney is an accomplished Oscar nominated film, stage and tv actress while Edie falco was only the female lead on what is considered to be one of the greatest tv shows ever, The Sopranos. Darling Christina I feel bad for you, don’t you dare knock them while praising Lea Michele who yes has a lovely voice but is simply ok as an actress. Please go watch some good tv that understands continuity

Comment by Meredith – June 3, 2011 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You’re trolling, right?

Comment by Nicole – June 3, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed! Lea Michele is really talented, she manages to make me hate and love Rachel on the show because she’s so annoying but so hilarious, she has to at like she hates Quinn Fabray, although Dianna is one of her best friends in real life. And as you said, as much as I love Courteney Cox, she had greater days, Friends is one of my favourite show and Cougar Town is nothing compared to it (although I like that show).
          So yeah Lea michele totally deserves an Emmy Award and I would totally nominate Naya Rivera too if only it was possible!

Comment by alex – June 5, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Couldn`t agree more! Lea totally deserves it! and i wuld nominate naya too if it as possible! Totally loved her, love all the glee cast

Comment by Aline – June 12, 2011 09:16 AM PDT
        • WELL SAID! :)

Comment by Jenna – June 26, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The pure fact that you find Rachel so irritating means that Lea has done such a great job with her. You have to draw the line between Actor/Actress and Character.. The more passionately you feel about a character (And yes, feeling the character as irritating is still a feeling) then the better the Actor/Actress is doing.

Comment by Dan – June 2, 2011 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My thoughts exactly. She’s been doing a fine job, she deserves it ! :)

Comment by Anna – June 2, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um Quinn, Santana, Kurt, and Mercedes are far more annoying.

Comment by Mike – June 7, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THEY ARE!!! Rachel Berry MAKES GLEE! It’s true, and she is NOT ANNOYING, that’s just her character! Lea & Rachel are really nothing alike. They have the same interests, but that’s about it. She does AN AMAZING job playing Rachel Berry. I say Lea Michele ALL the way, she is SUCH a hard worker & SOOOOO talented! I love her, she’s my idol:)

Comment by Zoe – June 9, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh please, does anyone actually believe Lea Michele would be unpopular in ANY high school? That alone should be enough to take her out of the running. She’s a very talented singer and a pretty good actor, but (a) Glee is hardly a comedy and (b) Lea Michele is TOTALLY UNREMARKABLE IN HER ROLE and the only reason she’s even being considered is that her role fits the criteria for this category and Glee fans will die if it isn’t nominated for everything. Amy Poehler is by FAR the best actress here. Parks and Rec is easily the smartest, funniest show on television right now.

Comment by scsj – June 20, 2011 10:56 AM PDT
  • AMY POEHLER!!!

Comment by Linda – June 1, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton is utterly deserving for playing a uniquely funny wife & mom (and young grandmother!) in a very funny show. And unlike some on this list, she’s not merely playing herself or merely playing the same role she’s done for years.

Comment by Lyn – June 1, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely! I hope she gets a nod, if not I’ll be quite disappointed.
      Raising Hope had a great first season.

Comment by Charlotte – June 3, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I voted for Martha Plimpton as well – she obviously isn’t a front runner in this poll but she is absolutely hilarious on Raising Hope.

Comment by julnyes – June 7, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree – she plays the role ridiculously well and convincingly. I love that show and it is perfectly cast. Can’t wait for s2.

Comment by Weez – June 7, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #1 Amy Poehler
    #2 Laura Linney
    #3 Tina Fey
    #4 Martha Plimpton
    #5 Edie Falco (I agree with her, “she’s not funny” but she can fit in the drama category so I think it’s just a way to aknowledge her excellent work, but I don’t want her to win this year :p)
    #6 Toni Colette (same as Falco, plus it’s her last year)

You forgot Kaitlin Olsen from It’s Always Sunny in Philly !

Comment by Soso – June 1, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kaitlin Olsen is in supporting.

Comment by Stacy – June 1, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is Kaley Cuoco on this list? Don’t get me wrong. I like her and I love BBT, but she is not at this time an award worthy actress. You can tell she’s on the verge of breaking a lot.

Comment by Amanda – June 1, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s definitely worthy. Penny is freaking hilarious with those nerds on Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Justin – June 1, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, she is hilarious, but is she on the same level as the other actresses here? Also, isn’t Kaley a supporting actress?

Comment by Dan – June 2, 2011 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, she is supporting of the male characters, but she is DEFINITELY the female lead. She’s the only female that has been in every single episode, so that’s why she is a ‘leading’ actress.

Comment by Plemel – June 2, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the WRITERS of BBT rock; I love each of the CHARACTERS; I must consider the skills of an actor as something separate from whether or how much I like the character they play. So that said… I’ve recently noticed that Cuoco is a pretty weak actor. She hits the same deadpan, heavy-lidded note in EVERY scene, rather than responding to the scene with anxiety, confidence, bitterness or whatever (like real people do, and thus GOOD actors do). When my doubts of her came to my consciousness was the episode where she dislocated her shoulder. She couldn’t act like she was in pain… not in her voice, face, body language, breathing… nada. Saw that rerun yesterday & it’s really turned me off of her. (Note though: I do still want Penny to get Leonard back!

Comment by Kat – June 9, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy will get a nomination, and if the Emmy’s know what’s good for them, she’ll win. This is a threat and also a promise.

Comment by Katy – June 1, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No but really Amy Poehler. I don’t know if I’ve said this before on these boards, but Parks and Recreation is the best thing right now. Have I stressed that? Hahaha…

Comment by mawhi – June 1, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton is going for Lead Actress? I’m glad because the field is narrower (no Modern Family or Jane Lynch) so she’ll have more of a chance, but she seems so very much a supporting character to Lucas Neff. What abou Garret Dillahunt? Is he going Lead too?

Comment by Brady – June 1, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Martha Plimpton so deserves to win the Emmy, she is brilliant!

Comment by ftw – June 3, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is Courteney’s year. She more than deserves it.

Comment by kb811 – June 1, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Courtney Cox at least gets nominated, she’s long overdue one. Laura Linney of course for her brilliant performance in The Big C. I love Lea Michele, but I don’t think she has given any stand out performances, she will get nominated but I doubt she’ll win. That said, despite what the characters gone through I think she’s been given more moments to shine comically, both in the background and bigger scenes.

Comment by Ben – June 1, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh. Which white woman should i choose? Wait, they’re all the same. How about some diversity?

Comment by Herman Greder – June 1, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At the same time, I can’t think of a single person of color who is a lead actress on a Comedy series… can you? That is not to say there does not need to be more diversity on TV, (because there does) but the emmys are just a reflection of what’s out there, they don’t choose who is and who isn’t put on TV, that is all up to the networks and the Fortune 500 companies that own them.

Comment by Ro – June 1, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the Emmys could honor voiceover work you could bet your sweet tushie that Aisha Tyler would be on my short-list for her hilarious work on Archer.

Comment by John – June 1, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed; Aisha Tyler/Archer for the win!

Comment by Jordana – June 2, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • anyone but Lea Michelle. I just don’t get her nominations. She has great, mad vocal skills; I think she would be THE diva of my generation, but she doesn’t have the acting skills (at least as Rachel Berry she doesn’t).

Cuoco doesn’t have it either.

Comment by Fernanda – June 1, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know what you’re watching cause they are both MAD funny!

Comment by Kris – June 1, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you kidding she is perfect as Rachel Berry. How do you not see that. Rachel is Over the top but sensitive and Lea does that wonderfully.

Comment by Joe – June 1, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lea Michele totally deserves a nomination…. if you have seen her in anything else besides Glee, you would see she is an incredible actress, and I think she plays the role of Rachel really well

Comment by Melanie – June 1, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. She’s decent in comedy scenes but in dramatic scenes her acting is limited to speaking softly and having tears in her eyes. She’s pretty bad in her dramatic scenes.

Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Martha Plimpton all piss all over her.

Comment by Matthew Thomas – June 1, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? Well of ourse she has acting skills! Do you not watch glee? I mean only a good actress could make us hate her character because she’s so annoying but lov her at the same time because she’s so awesome and funny and we freaking want her to be with Finn

Comment by ^^ – June 5, 2011 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t say she can’t act but I don’t see Glee as a comedy and she is most definitely not a comedic actress of Emmy caliber. The only thing funny I can remember her character saying this year was something about Santana and dancing on a pole. Otherwise, her character is whiny and filled with drama. Nothing against Lea, the person, but she doesn’t deserve a nod in this character. Courtney Cox deserves some love finally. Lea Michelle can’t touch her for comedic timing and delivery.

Comment by GS – June 6, 2011 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why were there no choices from Modern Family or Community? Of this list I’m going with Amy Poehler. Parks&Rec had an AMAZING season, while 30 Rock was a little less than stellar.

And WHY Lea Michele from Glee? I used to be quite anti-Glee as a whole, but I gave it a try and have seen the first season and it’s not as awful as I had imagined, but no one in the world can convince me that Lea Michele would be deserving of this.

Comment by ley22 – June 1, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think there were no choices for Modern Family or Community because none of the female actresses on these shows are technically leads. They probably all submitted for Supporting Actress. At least the ladies of Modern Family did last year, I just assume it’s the same with Community.

Comment by S – June 1, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahhh, yes! I neglected to think about that. I sure hope so, all those ladies do a fabulous job. Perhaps it’s the same for HIMYM? (another one of my favorite shows)

Comment by ley22 – June 1, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, none of the actresses want to be nominated. They take themselves out of contention so they can not be nominated. They feel that they are all equally talented and don’t feel one is a lead over the other. Not sure why the guys don’t do the same thing.

Comment by jay r – June 2, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with Modern Family and Community missing. And what about How I Met Your Mother??

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – June 1, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just wait until they put up their Supporting Actress race…you can bet that Alison Brie, Julie Bowen, and Sofia Vergara will ALL get the “dream nominee” treatment.

Comment by John – June 1, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why not Lea she does the whole over dramatic Rachel to a tee. Plus she has to sing and dance.

Comment by Kelly – June 1, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IS everybody effing kidding me?! Weeds!!! Mary-Louise Parker deserves this award. She makes you actually believe she is the character she’s playing. If i was to see her on the street I wouldn’t call her Mary-Louise, I would scream Nancy Botwin!! That’s how believable she is. She is absolutely hilarious while also maintaining a seriousness to her character. She’s been nominated 3 times for an emmy and she deserves to take it home this year. She’s funnier than any of these women, I mean ya Courtney Cox had her moment, but I think her moment is over. I love her as Monica on Friends, but Friends is over and I just don’t think she can top that role. As for Amy Poehler and Tina Fey, of course they are funny women, but I believe they are more funny on SNL than in a sitcom. I can’t miss an episode of Weeds, whereas I can do without watching 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation. They just aren’t that good of shows. They don’t hold my interest.

Comment by Magen – June 2, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think she’s an amazing actress, arguably the best among this list, but it would seem weird for her to win an Emmy for best lead actress in a comedy. Is no one else with me on that?

Comment by Phillip – June 2, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree. “Weeds” is one of my favorite shows and Nancy Botwin is one of the most fascinating and complicated characters on TV today, hands down. The problem is that “Weeds” is equal parts comedy and drama, and a lot of people look down on MLP’s performance because it’s too dramatic for the comedy category. But I still think she is owed an Emmy for her role – if people argue that Lea Michele deserves an Emmy for singing and dancing in addition to being stiff and overly-emotive, then MLP deserves an Emmy for bringing a thousand different emotions to her role. Anyone can spit good one-liners… not anyone can play a character that can be so hilariously selfish and heartbreakingly real at the same time. Plus, this past season has been the funniest season of the show since Season 3. MLP for the nomination and win!

Comment by Cesar – June 15, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COURTENEY COX!!!! SHE DESERVES IT MORE
    10 YEARS ON FRIENDS AND NOTHING! IT’S A SHAME! SO WITH CT NOW IT’S HER TURN, SHE’S SO FUNNY AND FYI THE SHOW ISN’T ABOUT COUGARS BUT FRIENDS, LOVE,CRAZY PEOPLE AND SITUATIONS, WHINE…

Comment by kika – June 1, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For what it’s worth, Yvonne Strahovski and Tamsin Greig are submitted as Supporting Actresses, not Leads. In the case of Episodes, it’s obviously a fraud, as is the fact that Matt LeBlanc is submitted as a Lead Actor solely due to his name, because he’s essentially a glorified cameo on the show.

Comment by John K. – June 1, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yvonne Strahovski is the second most major character on Chuck. She is the lead actress on the show, not a supporting actress.

Comment by tomf60 – June 5, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow in 2 seconds, the % down(11,24% to 11;18% for Courteney), what’s happen? don”t cheat

Comment by shay – June 1, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you not understand how percentages work?

Comment by Stella – June 2, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish Mayim Bialik was in there but Kaley Cuoco will do. Big Bang Theory is the best thing on tv right now.

Comment by am – June 1, 2011 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m rooting for Amy Poehler this year. The rest of my votes go for Toni Collette, Tina Fey, Laura Linney, Edie Falco and Courtney Cox.

Comment by Mafalda – June 1, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaley Cuoco is very underrated. Her work on TBBT is great and it showed what a huge part of that show she is when she was out because those episodes weren’t nearly as good. She was also amazing on 8 Simple Rules. I love her. Hope she gets recognized in some form.

Comment by EF – June 1, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kaley should be nominated; 3 yrs on 8 Simple Rules, 1 yr on Charmed, and just finished 4th season on BigBangTheory; except for Charmed-very funny on 7 successful seasons of doing comedy;very funny and talented actress

Comment by GO – June 5, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Amy. Did I say, Amy?

Comment by jrs – June 1, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy. Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy. Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy. Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy. Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy. Amy. Tina. Yvonne Martha. Melissa. Mary Louise. Amy.

I do think it’s hers to lose this year. :-)

Comment by sadtroll – June 2, 2011 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea Michele is my number one pick! That girl is crazy talented/funny. I know she’s an amazing singer but she’s not given enough credit for her great comedic timing. Her line in the pilot still cracks me up to this day and its all her “You’re really talented…I should know, I’m very talented too” Amy, Kaley, Tina and Melissa all deserve noms too. I love Yvonne but she’s not that funny (not that her role requires her to be).

Comment by Captain – June 1, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m with you on this one :)

Comment by laulau – June 1, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agreed. :)

Comment by Tulsi – June 1, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she is very talented in many ways. I think just because her character can be over the top some people don’t like her. Lea certainly doesn’t get the credit she deserves as comedic actress.

Comment by Kim – June 1, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was LAST year. This year her comedic skills have been in the background. The only time they show Rachel is when they need some rehashed boyfriend/girlfriend drama or she has a solo. She has a lot of talent, but comedy is definitely not her strong point.

Comment by Shawn – June 1, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I agree Lea has a lot more things she has to be talented at and I think deserves a nomination, dismissing the other woman is not needed.

Edie
        Lea
        Tina
        Amy
        Laura
        Toni or Courtney

Comment by Kath – June 1, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What? Did you miss “Blame it on the Alcohol?” She deserves an Emmy nomination (though I’m all for Laura Linney for the win) for playing such a convincing and hilarious drunk. Her face that entire episode… It was the most I’d laughed out loud during Glee since the ‘Audition’ episode.

Comment by Jane – June 1, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And her character overall is funny. She sent Sunshine to a crackhouse. Wrote songs about her headband. Come on. lol

Comment by Natalie – June 1, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s the ladies from Modern Family, Community, Mary Louise Parker, Patricia Heaton? This list needs work badly. And don’t count out Kaley Cuoco, she’s been killing it this year. Still, it’s all about Amy Poehler…

Comment by sladewilson – June 1, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All of the “Modern Family” cast is entered in the supporting categories, which is why Julie Bowen is not listed here.

Comment by Ed – June 1, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy Poehler! I totally love LESLIE KNOPE :)

Comment by Iggi – June 1, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaley cuoco the best!!!!!!! she is loved from spain!!!! :)

Comment by sheylsss – June 1, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • she is so loved from spain =)

Comment by laulau – June 1, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Brooke Elliott from “Drop Dead Diva”? Yeah, I know anyone on a summer series on Lifetime is a long-shot, but her portrayal of Jane/Deb is funny, heartfelt, and charming.

Comment by Ashley – June 1, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed Ashley. Brooke Elliott is delightful in Drop Dead Diva.

Comment by Brandi – June 1, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i might be almost alone on this, but even glee second season has been like a rollercoaster, i happen to love lea michele’s work, she is solid, funny and great singer and also gives great overall performances. i hope that she at least gets nominated
    amy poehler right now is the best comedy actress, comedy genious, perfect delivery, perfect comedy timing, sure nomination and hopefully she wins :)
    kaley cuoco is underrated, solid performances each episode and great comedy timing
    show the cougar town ladies some love! the three of them are just awesome

Comment by laulau – June 1, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with this post, Lea always give solid performance

Comment by andrea – June 1, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whoa! THis is a tough crowd. I’m not sure even Lucille Ball would be thought of as a great actress with all the above opinions. Also, to forget Modern Family (and not just Gloria but Claire too!) and Community (Annie outshined them all) could be considered pandering to the masses. I never understood how rating come out the way they do, but this shows why,

Comment by GaryP – June 1, 2011 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really would like to see Julie Bowen from Modern Family shown some love.

Comment by Brian Jacobson – June 1, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vote Kayley Cuoco for best Lead actress in a comedy. The girl is fantastic in Big Bang Theory every week and let’s not forget 8 simple rules from a few years back. Still comedy gold even today.

Comment by leigh gaunt – June 1, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Patricia Heaton needs a nomination at least. I know The Middle doesn’t get the best ratings, but she’s really good in this. Watching the season finale, I realized I am Frankie Heck!!!

Comment by Amanda – June 1, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Modern family or Community I’m not voting, but if I did Amy Poehler got to have it. After her Sofia Vergara, Courtney Cox, Tina Fey, Julie Bowen and Alison Brie. @ GaryP nobody comes close to Lucille Ball…nobody!

Comment by TJ – June 1, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I seem to recall that all of the “Modern Family” actors and “Community” people are in the supporting catergories, not any of them do lead.

Comment by Esta – June 1, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vote Yvonne Strahovski she deserves it

Comment by Nerd – June 1, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree, she has shown such depth in the character of Sarah Walker, she has great depth in her acting. She completely deserves an Emmy!!!!!!

Comment by heather – June 1, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I absolutely agree! Yvonne is wonderful! Slash all the Chuck stars seem to go unnoticed when it comes to awards time… I guess it’s because the other shows are more popular (which I also don’t understand… Chuck is amazing! People should give it a chance!), but Chuck has a great cast, and I think they should be acknowledged for it.

Comment by Nikki – June 1, 2011 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • totally agree, the acting is awesome but they go totally unrecognized around award season. That needs to change, Yvonne deserves this one and anyone who has watched her in Chuck knows why!!!

Comment by chuckfan – June 3, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agree completely – funny, for such an “unknown name” she is currently 3rd in this poll!!!

Comment by Proud to be a NERD – June 3, 2011 10:09 PM PDT
          • Yvonne is leading now! yup. she totally deserves a nomination. :)

Comment by kristine c. – June 5, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
    • She definitely deserves it. Yvonne can convey in one facial expression what other people take an entire scene and lots of dialog to convey. She is a beyond amazing action and comedic actress and it will be an injustice if she is not nominated. Her priceless facial expressions are one of the things I love best about Chuck – she is just so funny!

Comment by Anna – June 4, 2011 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are the bests!

Comment by Agnetha – June 1, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Both FAR too overrated. I’m sick of hearing about both of them.

Comment by John – June 13, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Martha Plimpton and Amy Poehler for the win! Both of these funny women deserve an Emmy

Comment by Sarah – June 1, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’re looking for someone undeserving and overrated, then yes they deserve it.

Comment by John – June 13, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although Cougar Town could be considered ‘sillier’ than some of the other comedy-drama shows out there at the moment, it makes me laugh like no other! It’s really come into it’s own this second season, and Courtney Cox has been perfection throughout. She really brings Jules to life like nobody else could and her comedic timing is incredible!

I really hope that Courtney at least gets nominated, if not wins it altogether, if not only for her work in this fantastic series, but also for her amazing career in comedy so far – which the Emmys have yet to recognise.

Comment by DRW – June 1, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Eva Longoria was listed as a choice here.

Comment by Ed – June 1, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney Cox deserves a Emmy so much! The academy is so unfair with her that makes me so mad,and i’m sure i’m not the only one.How this is possible? This woman can act more than everyone in that list,if you doubt,i think Friends&Cougar Town will prove to you! if she doesn’t win,i’m gonna steal from the winner and give to her!

Comment by Windy – June 1, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Courteney Cox-no doubt! the others is irrelevant.

Comment by Casey – June 1, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poehler for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Plimpton and Cox to place.

Comment by jeanrie – June 1, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The women on the Showtime shows are all terrific actresses but they are not really comedies. Amy Poehler has given the best comedic performance this year and deserves some long overdue recognition….

Comment by Buffy Freak – June 1, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only reason Parks is still on is that they brought in Rob Lowe, it’s certainly not because of Poehler.

Comment by John – June 13, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is Kaitlin Olson “Its Always Sunny” or for Chrissakes, Billie Piper for “Secret Diary of a Call Girl” or Jane Adams “Hung” (she was awesome in season two) or Katie Aselton “The League” who like Olson, holds her own, and is exceptionally funny, in an almost exclusively male cast? Or Jessica Walter as Mallory Archer on “Archer” who remains one of the funniest women on television because of her ability to deliver a line. This list compiled is exceptionally WEAK as far as actually funny women/characters are concerned.

Comment by BHM1304 – June 1, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only Piper’s role would be considered a ‘lead’. All the rest are supporting.

Comment by Cyclone – June 1, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, someone watches a lot of obscure cable tv. Nickers in a knot much? lmao

Comment by Esta – June 1, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see Billie or Jane win.

Comment by dee – June 2, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would LOVE to see Martha Plimpton, Kaley Cuoco, and Amy Poehler on the Emmy ballot! They all are completely and wonderfully deserving. If Martha Plimpton is not nominated for Lead Actress than she DEFINITELY deserves a guest nomination for The Good Wife. Sorry, I don’t watch cable, and it annoys me that they overrun the nominations EVERY year because of edginess. If Amy Poehler is not nominated (and Parks and Rec in general) I will cry a huge FOUL!

Comment by Amy – June 1, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • legal sarah walker legal ela faz um otimo trabalho comquistou o brasil ela e tambem uma atriz muito simpatica vai em fremte muito sucesso felicidades

Comment by esplinia souza – June 1, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post