Exclusive

Exclusive: USA Network Series Is Better Off With Andrea Anders

Andrea Anders, whose TV resume most memorably includes the acclaimed (if undersampled) Better Off Ted and most recently (if only briefly) added Mr. Sunshine, has landed a new gig.

The super-sunny and often funny actress can next be seen in multiple episodes of Necessary Roughness, one of USA Network’s new summer dramedies, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Hot for Summer: Your June Premieres Calendar

Premiering Wednesday, June 29, at 10/9c, Necessary Roughness stars Callie Thorne (Rescue Me) as Dr. Dani Santino, a down-on-her-luck psychotherapist who, through a whirlwind chain of events, finds herself serving as the “shrink to the stars.” The cast features Mehcad Brooks (True Blood) as Terrence King, a football all-star and Dani’s first high-profile patient; Marc Blucas (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as Matt, the team’s trainer; and Scott Cohen (Gilmore Girls) as a sports “fixer.”

Lost Beauty Spies Covert Affairs Gig, White Collar Adds Star’s Husband

Anders will play Laura, a PR exec that King’s team hires to rehab his image. The pretty spin-mistress also has a “history” with Matt, so expect her to get pulled into a bit a love triangle with him and Dani.

Anders will appear in at least three episodes, beginning July 27, with the potential to go recurring.

1. Todd Slater says:

Thought I hated her in Matt LeBlanc’s Friends spinoff, Joey, but after loving her in Better Off Ted and Mr. Sunshine, I realized that absolutely no one could be likable in Joey. I will check this show out just to see her!

2. Sourabh says:

This is the first time I that I recognized all the supporting actors but not the lead one.

Also, wasn’t Andrea Anders also on the it-really-wasn’t-that-bad Joey?

• Captain says:

Yes, she was. She’s best known for her role in Joey (and for being Matt’s real-life girlfriend) but TV critics like Matt Webb like to refference the projects they liked her in, not the ones she’s known for. I adored her in Joey. It was the only thing I’ve seen her in where she really got tos tretch her funny bone. She plays neurotic mess better than most.

3. MurderMondays says:

I might have to check it out for her. Absolutely loved her on Better Off Ted.

4. John says:

She (and everyone else) was great on Better Off Ted

5. aj says:

Good for her, I guess, but really – she deserves the lead in something. How could anyone not love her?

6. ggny says:

dam good cast Thorne,Brooks,Blucas and Cohen and now Anders

7. Momo says:

I love Anders, and Better Off Ted was incredible and drew me back to sitcoms after a decade of crap, but this premise won’t last as long as a Sarah Palin principle. Sadly.

8. alan says:

Why has nobody mentioned her hilarious turn in THE CLASS?!?! I mean, she was basically playing her “Joey” character, Alex, but she was still great!

9. Allison says:

Yes, she is great on all of those shows (though I only saw one or two eps of Joey) but sadly this new show is doomed. We joke in our house that she is the new Ted McGinley. Every show she is on (and they ARE good) gets canceled after one season or in Joey’s case two. Joey, The Class, Better Off Ted, Mr. Sunshine. Poor Andrea.

10. Rachel says:

So excited to see her again, I can’t wait for this series!! Crazy cool cast, too.

11. Devon says:

I loved her in The Class. It was quite a sweet show that fell apart towards the end but she was always bright and sunny. Still can’t see a striper pole without thinking of her. That ep where one of them actually drove his car into a convenience store and then refused to be rescued is still one of the funniest situations ever.

12. Anna says:

At least with USA’s track record of successful shows she has a chance to shine.

13. Peter says:

Okay, I’ll be debbie downer here…

All the characters she played on sitcoms (Joey, Class, Ted, Sunshine) were essentially the same character.

14. Tam says:

I keep telling people Andrea is the next Lauren Graham. She just needs to land on a show that actually lasts and gives her a chance to shine.

15. Bella says:

I’ve seen the commercials for Necessary Roughness and did not care for Callie Thorne’s character at all. I decided not to watch it just based on those. I really like Andrea, though, so may watch the pilot. But if Thorne’s character is as insufferable as she appears, Andrea won’t be enough for me to continue watching it. That’s been the problem in other shows she’s been in for me, too.