America's Got Talent: The Three Best Auditions from the Season 6 Premiere

The enduring popularity of America’s Got Talent is as mysterious to me as the continued production of Miracle Whip, the science of making airplanes take flight, and the fact that Snooki’s Italian car accident was covered on actual “news” programs over the last 48 hours. (I mean…) But then again, what the heck do I know? My colleague Matt Webb Mitovich reports that a whopping 15 million people tuned in Tuesday night to experience two hours of Nick Cannon aggressively pulling faces, sweaty wannabes juggling badly, old dudes rocking diapers (seriously), and Piers Morgan doing his darndest to convince us Simon Cowell never left American television screens.

Anyhow, since it looks as though AGT is going to be a key discussion topic at Bingo Night this week — and because I’m paid to invest far too deeply in the world of reality television — I took two hours of my life Tuesday night and hopped aboard the AGT Express. Spoiler alert: I didn’t hate everything! In fact, I’m going to go ahead and count down my three favorite auditions from the season premiere (complete with video!):

3) Vegas Birds: I know, I know…it’s a lady and a talking parrot. But I dare you not to gasp when that green feathered beast correctly identifies Lady Bird’s fowl impersonation! (Bonus: In the Vegas round, we might get to see a psychic parrot, and one that performs magic!)

2) Ryan Andreas: Dude was more nervous than Sarah Palin at a Katie Couric Fan Club meeting, but the tone of his voice on Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” was smoky and ethereral. As Howie pointed out, Ryan’s performance was perhaps “even more haunting” than the original, which is all the more impressive considering the guy never peerformed in front of an audience before.

1) Team iLuminate: Let me not give anything away about this marriage of choreography and technology. Just press play and enjoy.

What did you think of the AGT Season 6 premiere? What were your favorite and least favorite auditions? And have we already seen the eventual winner? Sound off below, and for all my reality TV news and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Rhama says:

Terrible show. Representing everything what’s wrong with today’s TV. The worst of the worst.

• D says:

Why is it so terrible? Just because it’s not scripted, or just because it’s not the usual mindless reality drivel?

I don’t like the audition stage very well (I think they’ve started throwing in too many bad acts and don’t show us enough good ones), but once we get to Vegas, things start heating up.

Michael Grimm, Prince Poppycock, Debra Romer and the Strange Familiar were all my favorites last year. (I still have a hard time believing that Jackie Evancho isn’t some magical singing doll…she’s too perfect!) I’m not sure we’ll have any *that* good this year, but just as long as it’s not as miserable as S2, we’ll be in good shape.

• Rhama says:

I’m always rooting for talented people working hard to make it in showbiz but the judges, the host and the production itself are just unbearable.

• DonMI says:

As I always say, “If you don’t like it, don’t watch it!” The show doesn’t take itself all that seriously. It’s basically just an amateur talent competition with no claims that it’s winner will be the next big star.

2. E says:

I have to admit that I’ve never watched this show before (other than randomly during commercials of another show I happened to be watching live), but for some reason I saw most of it last night.

I have to admit, a seriously LMAO when the second guy fell off the stage. I have no idea why it struck me so funny, but it did. I thought the “wappers” where funny too.

3. Jessica says:

The bird annoyed me because people seem to think this parrot really understands that chickens make that noise. He doesn’t. He knows that when he hears the noise and says chicken he gets a treat, just like when he hears “kitty” and makes a different noise he gets a treat. Or “name” and says “Danny”. Its the same trick over and over.

• Lee says:

So the talent lies with the trainer, not the bird…so what, talent is talent, right? Lighten up and enjoy. Or change the channel and watch Oprah.

4. Clarissa says:

I don’t think any of the acts will be able to top last year’s top 4. Prince Poppycock + Jackie Evancho + Fighting Gravity (plus that guy that won) were AMAZING. Hopefully they bring them back to perform.

5. Phyllis says:

The guy who won was Michael Grimm. Fantastic. So is Ryan Andreas.

6. RW says:

Ryan Andreas is “in it to win it”. Sorry to borrow from AI but it fits. I do not think I’Luminate compares to last year’s group, Fighting Gravity. NOT EVEN CLOSE, IN MY OPINION!!

7. Eurydice says:

Enduring is right. My grandmother used to watch this show called Community Auditions on which little freckled red-haired kids would belt out “I Have A Dream” and people would call in to vote for them. She also watched something called Queen For A Day – every week 3 miserable women would tell the miserable details of their miserable lives and the one who was the most miserable would win a refrigerator or something. Put the two together and you’ve got AGT – actually part of a long American tradition.

8. Goat Girl says:

This my 2nd season of AGT. I love this show! I love that judges are honest (unlike Idol), get really mad at each other sometimes, and you get to see real Americans who spend their lives (Parrot Lady) practicing left field stuff, and wishing they were anywhere but where they are. Seriously, Ryan made me cry. He’s not some spoiled upper middle class kid (Scotty or Casey). Ontario is not the nicest of places to be living in. I especially love the diversity of the contestants like the Miami Latin dance troupe. They were awesome and so so cute! As were the 3 little rappers.

9. kateebee says:

Darn! Since i’m not in the US I could only see the first two.
    The tv station in Canada carries the show – but NBC won’t let use watch on their website.

Please, next time… use the YouTube clips.

10. amanda says:

Am I the only person who thought illuminate just seemed like an upgraded version of Fighting Gravity?

11. Dera says:

MS you gotta listen to this: Especially towards the ending of this video.

12. David says:

I thought that Ryan’s voice was really really amazing! Very unique and I think that he will do well if he can continue to evolve and get over the nervous stage presence! He can be a real star!

I really thought the bird act was unique and exciting. I expected it to be boring and it wasn’t. I’m curious to see what she will do next and hopefully it won’t disappoint.

Although I do have to say that AGT usually ends up disappointing on the finales every year with the winners I think that it is so much more interesting than IDOL and keeps you interested so much longer!

13. Thom says:

Your three are my three…such good taste you have. Mind you, I do have a tendency to record this show and fast forward through a ton of it. My criteria is simple: would I pay to see them? Like Defying Gravity (am I the only one who thinks of Elphaba every damn time I hear their name?), illuminate is defiantly a fun Vegas show!!