Ratings: ABC's Extreme Weight-Loss Show Builds On Bachelorette's Thinning Numbers

As is typical in its first outing without that cushy Dancing With the Stars lead-in, ABC’s The Bachelorette turned away some viewers, dropping to 7.1 million while scoring a 2.1 demo rating. Those decreases of 25 percent however are markedly greater than the series suffered a year ago, when it shed just 17 percent week-to-week.

Bachelorette Recap: Mas and You Shall Receive

Nonetheless, the she-Bach’ set up ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition for a decent debut. Matching its lead-in audience and even building on the demo (hitting a 2.4 rating), EM:WLE performed much, much better than (groanTrue Beauty (5.4 mil/2.0) did in the 10 o’clock spot a year ago.

In fact — faint, off-season praise alert!EM:WLE was Monday’s top-rated program among the coveted 18-49 demo, while giving ABC its best summer series debut since July 2009.

Elsewhere on Monday:

* The NBC premiere of Law & Order: Criminal Intent‘s final season drew 5.2 million viewers and a 1.1 demo rating (up 10 percent from its USA bow, TVByTheNumbers points out).

* With Castle on summer vacay and Hawaii Five-0 now in repeat mode, Law & Order: LA improved slightly in audience (to 6.5 mil) while holding steady in the demo (with a 1.4).

What if anything did you watch this first Monday of the “summer” TV season? And why do you think The Bachelorette is losing some popularity?

1. jrs says:

“Why do you think The Bachelorette is losing some popularity?” Could America finally be coming to its senses???

• Jo Ann Jackson says:

My boyfriend and I watch the bachelor and bachelorette all the time. I actually got him hooked on it and believe me he is a guys guy. When Ashley was picked for the new bachelorette we both decided not to watch it. She is not an interesting character. She doesn’t communicate well and shes not that attractive. To us she was boring on the bachelor and we were very disappointed when she was selected. Wouldn’t ABC have been better off starting fresh with someone else? Good way to start losing your repeat audience.

• George Mayer says:

When it comes to losing weight, don’t believe everything you hear. There are many myths out there that sabotage all your efforts. Just take a look at the Biggest Diet Myths:

* There are some diets that can help you lose fat from specific parts of the body: No diet or dietary supplement can cause local fat reduction. Look at it this way: When you put on the weight, do have any choice about where it will be stored? No! Your body gets to decide if it will go on the thighs, arms or legs, according to its genetic predisposition. The same thing happens when you lose weight. Nobody knows which part of the body will slim down first. The best thing you can do is to lower your caloric intake, which will cause overall weight loss.

2. Clapped says:

Yeah, LOLA got better because the other network’s programs are airing repeats. LOLA probably needed to be on Wednesday nigth throughout June. The fans of both “Law & Order” and “Law & Order: LA” got a ‘petition’ up to save both shows; t.co/K9faGhp, but I doubt NBC is going to budge. The L&O franchise is basically dead to NBC.

3. Boiler says:

Hopefully the dumbing down of America is ending!! Doubt it though

4. Dee says:

I’m sick and tired of all the reality. Life is real enough for me sometimes. I went with a tried and true classic. MASH finale. It makes me wish we still had good television on in the evenings. And to think, MASH ratings were very poor their first year. Luckily it was a time when networks actually gave a show a half chance before they cancelled them.

5. Elizabeth says:

I was a little confused by the LOLA episode last night. It was marked as ‘New’ by my DVR and I know I had never seen it before, but Skeet Ulrich was alive and well? Are they airing episodes out of sync?

• Lisa says:

Yeah, I thought that was funny as well. Said to my husband, “Guess since it’s canceled, they don’t care if they are out of order.” What’s up with that?

6. evs says:

saw Platinum Hit on bravo. Very entertaining. Bachelorette was awful.

7. Sunshine says:

Many people are boycotting ABC because of the decision to cancel the daytime soap operas. This could be affecting nighttime ratings.

8. fernando says:

Forget all these shows, I watched VH1 new series Single Ladies, which I am shock to say it was very good its like sex and the city but in atlanta.

9. Alienate says:

Wow! NBC showing RERUNS of L&O Criminal Intent 3 weeks after they were released on USA network and calling them NEW. Marketing GENIUS !!

BTW, I love this years return of Bobby. But why would anyone wait 3 extra weeks to watch it on NBC?

10. Sandy says:

I watched Hawaii Five-O again and loved it. I usually watch Hawaii Five-O many times on the Time Warner “On Demand” channel even after watching it on CBS on Monday nights. Can’t get enough of that show. I will continue to watch the reruns until September when the new season begins. Cannot wait. As for the reality shows, I can do without most of them – I do like American Idol.

11. two day diet says:

at recently,i heard a effective medicine lingzhi 2 day diet is a weight loss slimming formula.

12. I don’t know if there is a statistic somewhere that demonstrates how many people drop out of their weight loss program due to stress, strain, pain, or just plain burnout. However, I have experienced it myself, I have read about it, and I know people it has happened to. Sometimes the simplest statements are most true. One that you will often hear is, “It took years for your body to get this way, and you cannot change it overnight.”

13. George Mayer says: