Exclusive

Patrick Dempsey On Grey's Anatomy Future: Season 8 Will Be 'My Last'

Ellen Pompeo may be unsure about whether she’ll stick with Grey’s Anatomy after her contract expires next season, but it sounds like her onscreen hubby has made up his mind.

In the new issue of the Italian Vanity Fair, Patrick Dempsey confirms that the show’s upcoming eighth season will be his swan song. “It’s gonna be my last,” he told the mag. “I do not know what’s going to happen to the other characters, but for me it’s done.”

Dempsey added that the idea of checking out of Seattle Grace after seven years is “bittersweet because it’s been great and a great part of my life. But I can’t see me doing it anymore.”

One person who we’re pretty sure won’t be caught off guard by this news: Shonda Rhimes. The Grey’s creator told TVLine earlier this month that she was approaching next season as if it was the last — not just for Dempsey but his fellow original cast members Pompeo, Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh and Justin Chambers. “It might be the last hurrah for a lot of them; you never know,” she said. “I really don’t know and I don’t presume to know. Everybody has an individual choice to make and I get that…. All the originals are in play.”

Of course, this begs the provocative question: What happens if Dempsey leaves but Pompeo stays? Perhaps a clue can be found in this next quote from Rhimes. “I feel like Meredith and Derek are meant to be together forever, and we’re going to make sure that in the end they end up together, one would hope — unless one of them dies or something.”

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Ashlyn says:

Shonda knows what shes doing and I cant see her killing off derek, I mean come on meredith and derek will get their happily ever after they have to. And as far as the show goes its been along time of Greys Anatomy coming and we knew this time would come, but I am confident Greys will go out with a big bang.

2. BrittanyBrat says:

Patrick Dempsey is becoming an a-hole. I think it is his time to leave, but Ellen Pompeo, I would love to see her date on the show and probably get with the Chief (maybe, even though theres an age difference) or maybe get with Sloan (Dempsey’s bestfriend).
    I think it’s time for Alex to go to. Once he snitched on Meredith, his character was done with. Its not much he can do now. It would have been great to see him become Chief resident though.
    I would love to see someone new come on the show. Someone raw and edgy.
    And I also think that Arizona should cheat on Callie. That would just make the show amazing. But other than that, can’t wait for Season 8 of Grey’s Anatomy

3. Roni says:

Seriously when Grey’s goes off what will I watch on Thursdays? My Wednesdays are ruined with Elliot leaving SVU, Cuddy is leaving House & now this. I’m basically going to stop watching TV lol

4. shubhra shah agarwal says:

why do people end something which is going good…this is one of the best series..just like friends..and we saw nothing much coming from the actors from there…

5. Sara says:

I love Greys! I have not missed An episode! Don’t want it to stop! Although I have to say if we have to lose another main character then please just end it! I absolutely hated losing Izzie and George! !

6. cgrant says:

I love the show, more now than before. I couldn’t stand Izzy. I love the new characters more than the old, except Christina, of course. I cannot stand Meredith’s whiny voice talking over the opening and closing segments of the show. However, that is one way to keep her on it. She could still narrate like Mary Alice from Desperate Housewives. Then the show can remain Grey’s Anatomy, but have an influx of new characters. While we are getting rid of characters, how about Callie and Arizona? I loved the singing episode, but I’m sick of them. Meredith and Derek have to end happy because that’s where we wanted them from the beginning.

7. Grey'sAnatomyFan says:

I think that Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo should both stay on the show. They should stay together,because they are meant to be. Grey’s Anatomy wouldn’t be the same without any of the cast member,especially Derek and Merideth.

8. KatherineHeiglFan says:

I think that bringing Katherine Heigl (Izzie Stevens) Back would revive some of the comedy that we once saw in Grey’s Anatomy. Izzie was always my favorite character and i think that she lightened the mood of the show. I think that people would tune in just to see Izzie again, and maybe a Alex\Izzie relationship? That would be awesome!

9. KatherineHeiglFan says:

They Should Bring Izzie Back!!! I loved her character! and maybe there is a way they could bring george back?? Maybe 007 wasn’t actually him?! All i know is that I loved Katherine Heigl as Izzie Stevens and that she should come back!

10. greig says:

If Ellen and Patrick leaves, might as well end the show.

11. Saman says:

Merideth and Derek belong together no matter what. People wil loose interest if they both go one leaves the other would be terrible for fans to see them apart.

12. elena says:

i’m from spain, and i’ve been watching grey’s since it’s first episode. It’s been my favourite show, and i will miss it a lot, but i think it’s time. if derek leaves the show, i’ll be too much…with izzie and george gone, it was weird, but the show survived pretty good, but this is different.
    people won’t stick watching the show cause there is no more fresh and original stories. i think it should end the next season. end the show in a good way, before it gets cancelled leaving everyone with a bad taste of it.
    it’s been great. love grey’s anatomy.

13. kassidy k says:

ithink mer ans derek should be together unless derek wants to go of the her should die or somthing and she should get together with some one else while izzy gets cured nd comes back with alex. and christina should keep her baby

14. joyz says:

it sucks if the original cast wont stay in this series…sad
    !!!

15. dremenum says:

I really hope that the show continues because I love Grey’s and I’ve seen every episode 100000 times. It will really upset me if the show doesn’t continue because I think that even though cast members are leaving, the plot is still good. I just hope they continue to make more good episodes and not to the point where it’s too far but I don’t think that I’m ready for my favorite show in the world to be over. MerDer forever! <3

16. Fatema says:

I watch this show for derek, and I’m sure many of uis do too! He and Mer leave, the shows gonna go all dull :(

17. maria says:

i really think that if patrick dempsey is leaving the show, it has to be like the best, problably ellen will be quiting next season,maybe the best way to give a great finale is by making them move out beacause one of them get a job offer.

18. Elise says:

PLIS, Shonda, don’t break Merder up! let’s face it, they are very very very important for det show. And I think its just to easy to break them up, they are Merder after all. They are each others true love, and they can never be apart from each other. They will never break up. So if Patrick is leaving, but not Ellen, Derek should (omg, i cant belive i am saying this) but Derek should just die. Cause then meredith can (obviously) cry about it for a little while, but after that she can met a new guy, and the show can move on. On the other hand, if they both leave, they should leave together, and merder should have an happy ending!

19. Jessica says:

Well,I have to say the fact that I dislike Zola!
    She shouldn’t be there.
    Derek is the one who really wants Zola and then he vanishes himself just like that.
    Season 8 better be good!

20. Yunha says:

Gosh! There will be no Grey’s Anatomy if there’s no Derek!
    If he leaves, I’m not sure Grey’s can sustain the rating, seriously!
    Like me, I watch this show because I love Merder and the way they handle their probs! Best couple ever.
    Unlike Lexie and Sloan, their r/ship is just for SEX!

21. Kayla says:

The show has a chance if Meridth & Derek both leave, but if 1 leaves while the other stays it will ruin the show. When Heigle’s love interest died it was interesting. If Derek died it would more depressing than interesting, & this show has always added kind of a comedic sense to the death that goes on. If Derek died then thats what the show would be about–a mouring Merideth

22. L.L.B says:

AT THE RISK OF BEING DRAWN AND QUARTERED HERE…I FOUND McDREAMY A BIT TOO QUICK WITH THE “NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU” OR “DON”T EVER…AGAIN”….AM I THE CHEESE STANDING ALONE HERE ….OR DOES ANYONE ELSE FIND HIM TO BE SELF ABSORBED,SPOILED,REACTIONARY…AND A BIT OF A McDIVA?…PITY HE LACKS THE DEPTH OF CHARACTER,COMPASSION,AND GENTLE NATURE OF GEORGE…ALTHOUGH YOU DO SEE GLIMMERS OF IT I.E ACCEPTING THE UNBREAKABLE BOND THAT IS MEREDITH AND CHRISTINA…

23. samara says:

I think they’re going to kill off Meredith somehow at the end of season 8 since she’s most likely going to decide to not continue on after her contract expires. By killing her off there wouldn’t really be a point to Derek being on the show anymore.

Since it’s his last and final season, I think that’s going to be the scenario…

24. Carla Correia says:

Se entretanto o casal Derek e Meredith acabar eu certamente deixo de ter interesse na série, há sempre uma forma de dar a volta por isso só espero que a criadora da série se digne a fazer algo para que continue a ter audiência, caso contrário morreu a série, quanto aos outros personagens foram sempre secundários e para mim serão sempre, porque a magia do amor entre o casal MERDER é que vale tudo.

25. NENEEN says:

grey`s anatomy don`t be grey`s anatomy without DEREK or MEREDITH

26. Stan says:

I enjoy watching Grey’s for the the crazy and intriguing medical dramas. The patients are what make the show. Who cares about the Drs. and their personal lives! It was all filler anyway. Cast new whiney actors to play Drs. and keep it going Shonda!

27. Rheanne says:

if meredith was pregnant that would be a good reason to get back togeter for her and derek they are so good as a couple i mean i love the show but basicly the only reason i watch it is for the medical draumas and Derek and Meredith they are the best caracters especially when they are together and if meredith were pregnant they would be a happy couple together that would be awsome <3 <3 <3

28. sim sim says:

I agree with you.It’s the best way to finish:)

29. Sarena says:

Fooorget thaat NO derrr NO meer. To even staart off no one does it better then tha originaLs Lovee tha main ones but thaa DUO from thaa start UNSEPERABLE. think of something smaart pLease. I stiLL want thss show too end with mee stiLL Loving it an not pissed off . GOOD LUCK KANT WAIT !

• Stephanie says:

You need a dictionary. You can’t even spell the word “can’t.” That is so unbelievably sad. Also, what is with the unnecessary capital letters and extra letters? Come on, grow up.

30. Amal says:

I think george whould be back as well as lexie
    i also hope that meredith and alex wont die in 8×9 .
    I dont know if this is true but i read on wiki that season 8 x 9 will be the last episode for alex and they deleted this info :s
    cant waittttt :o

31. LILIANA says:

Seria muy doloroso para los tele-videntes contando con los fa-ns …..espero que Meredy no sufra aparte de la perdida de ZOLA …y emparte de punto sobre la situación de DE CRISTINA Y OWEN ES UN TEMA AFLIGIDO Y INTERESANTE QUE CONMUEVE A TELEVIDENTES …
    Y dejando eso a otro punto es la RELACIÓN DE +++LEXIE Y MARK SLOAN*+++++ES UNA DE LAS PAREJAS QUE ME GUSTA Y ME GUSTARA..Y HABLO POR VARIOS FANS DE ELLOS Y DE LA SERIE …ESPERAMOS QUE ESTEN JUNTOS Y SE CASEN Y SE AMEN COMO SE AMAN++

32. hmponies says:

i think if Mer stays it could pull off several more
    seasons, ER did after Clooney left. Grey”s is one of the ONLY shows worth watching on tv anymore!!! please don’t leave!!!!!

33. hmponies says:

i think if Mer stays it could pull off several more
    seasons, ER did after Clooney left. Grey’s is one of the ONLY shows worth watching on tv anymore!!! please don’t leave!!!!! and we all know GREYS is A LOT better than ER

34. Stephanie says:

I hope one of them dies. That makes a good ending, and I don’t care if they break up. I think Meradeth was meant to be a surgeon, not an effing wife or mom. She’s supposed to be the inspiration. Her and Christina used to be my american dream until they got all married and in love and cr…stuff. I mean really, who needs that?? Someone needs to die.

35. Elizabeth Adegoke says:

Grey’s anatomy is a great work and i think everything does not have to end in sad news. Derk and Mer should have a happy ending, i would love it that way.

36. Jacqueline Yeager says:

If the show is losing it’s most loved characters, and the time has come to end it, well then all good things comes to an end. When the show is coming to a close weather season eight is it’s last or it runs on for a couple more seasons it should end with a BANG, it’s highest rating of viewers ever. Too often has a show been canceled or discontinued without that last Bang to really bring the story full circle. To get the highest ratings and viewers it has to be adversed everywhere, make the final few episodes a reunion of characters, the bad and the good. Although some characters left for personal reasons, they should come back, if not for fans, but for their highly respected creator Shonda. To bring all the characters together for some huge event, that everyone ever on the show had to be brought back together, unless that character had perished such as George and Denny. Some fans seem to think that killing Derek and continuing the show would work, However it would be cruel to separate the characters after all the obstacles they had over come, not to mention, both MerIdith and Derek already both all most died. The show should not end with a death, but with a clear future. one that ends without a doubt that they will continue to live their lives in memory even when the show has gone, and come to an end. Each of the characters, should get what they have bring trying to get from the beginning of the story. Life is a rough road, but it doesn’t always end in a tragedy.
    ~ Just a suggestion

• mary says:

I completely agree, especially Izzie should come back, she is the only major character that left but not because she died.

37. Ubee Worthless says:

This will be my last post, People get a life!! How can you spend all this time on a blog about TV actors. Instead of wasting what ever life you have left, volunteer at a church, or halfway house. Go to your local library, something!!!

good bye!

38. brenda t says:

ok please everyone stop…im a die hard fan ..plain and simple …no meridith and derek…NO SHOW PERIOD….ITS TIME TO STOP NOW…AND BELEIVE ME THATS HARD FOR ME TO SAY..WHAT WILL I DO ON THURSDAY NIGHTS…I GUESS WATCH MY GREYS ANATOMY BOX COLLECTION OVER AND OVER FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS..LOL!!!

39. mary says:

I think they should have Derek leave for some job or something and still get mentioned every now and then, maybe guest star a few times. The show won’t be the same without the originals and I can’t see Mer with anyone else, but I think if Dempsey is the only one to go they can pull it off.

40. Bianca says:

Well my comment is that if it must be that Derek dies i already start to cry he can’t leave Grey’s Anatomy it won’t be the same without Derek in the picture. They became part of our lives to we also feel there hurt even though it is only a soapy but still. Please please please Patrick you can’t resign now?

Regards, Fan from South Africa

41. i am sad to see derek go….i really liked his character. i have a feeling this is the beginning of the end for grey’s. Reminds me of ER’s end….