Exclusive

Patrick Dempsey On Grey's Anatomy Future: Season 8 Will Be 'My Last'

Ellen Pompeo may be unsure about whether she’ll stick with Grey’s Anatomy after her contract expires next season, but it sounds like her onscreen hubby has made up his mind.

In the new issue of the Italian Vanity Fair, Patrick Dempsey confirms that the show’s upcoming eighth season will be his swan song. “It’s gonna be my last,” he told the mag. “I do not know what’s going to happen to the other characters, but for me it’s done.”

Dempsey added that the idea of checking out of Seattle Grace after seven years is “bittersweet because it’s been great and a great part of my life. But I can’t see me doing it anymore.”

One person who we’re pretty sure won’t be caught off guard by this news: Shonda Rhimes. The Grey’s creator told TVLine earlier this month that she was approaching next season as if it was the last — not just for Dempsey but his fellow original cast members Pompeo, Chandra Wilson, Sandra Oh and Justin Chambers. “It might be the last hurrah for a lot of them; you never know,” she said. “I really don’t know and I don’t presume to know. Everybody has an individual choice to make and I get that…. All the originals are in play.”

Of course, this begs the provocative question: What happens if Dempsey leaves but Pompeo stays? Perhaps a clue can be found in this next quote from Rhimes. “I feel like Meredith and Derek are meant to be together forever, and we’re going to make sure that in the end they end up together, one would hope — unless one of them dies or something.”

1. M says:

Why is anyone surprised? They already said like a year ago that Dempsey and Pompeo would most likely leave after season 8. That’s why everyone has been talking for years really about Lexie Grey becoming the new official main character if the show were to continue! Which my guess is it probably is not going to. Which is fine-Grey’s is a great show but 8 seasons is plenty and it doesn’t need to be the next ER with a whole new cast (not that half the Grey’s original cast hasn’t been changed already anyways)

2. Samantha says:

I can see them killing Derek if Ellen stays. As for other projects for Ellen – as of now she hasn’t done anything since taking Grey’s and is unproven at the box office. That will make it harder for her no matter what she may have been offered in the past.

• Paula says:

Ellen will be fine no mater what. She’s a great actress and I’m sure she’ll find a satisfying career outside of Grey’s. I’m guessing she’ll leave with Dempsey. Derek is a beloved character of Shonda Rhimes and I think she will do what she needs to to not have the character taken out in a death or simply leaving. Nobody knows yet until it happens. Nobody knows what Ellen has been offered unless they work for her, and if you’re posting on here, it’s doubtful you are in the position to know what she’s been asked to do or not. No offense, you simply cannot speculate unless you know for a fact and you don’t is all.

• Samantha says:

Paula, not sure why you feel the need to be nasty. All I said is that Ellen hasn’t done anything outside Grey’s since it started. I never said she wasn’t offered anything so please stop putting words in other people’s mouths. And yes, no one commenting here knows and its all speculation. Its freaking blog comments so get off your high horse.

3. KS says:

The show has almost a year to work out casting for a season 9 if ABC is planning the show to continue. Anything can happen in a year especially since negotiations probably haven’t even started.

ABC must be loving all this publicity.

• Nancy says:

Anytime Ellen or Patrick are mentioned on this site. Anytime MerDer are mentioned, this board comes alive which is something ABC should be paying attention to really and if not trying to keep both actors, making sure the storyline ends in a way that will make fans feel satisfied when EP/PD (MerDer) leave and not ripped off or angry. It’s simply the right thing to do.

• kal-el says:

I’m sure they do.
      And Pompeo & Dempsey are freakin good.
      $$$ can do miracles, and Dempsey is not an expection.
      Let’s see how the season is going, Pompeo said she’s done, then she wasn’t sure, I’m sure Dempsey will do the same.
      A few months ago it was the other way, ellen was sure and dempsey was not.
      We’re talking about millions dollars a year guys, we can’t even imagine it

4. Liz says:

I wasn’t going to watch this season, but since it is now officially Patrick Dempsey’s last, I will watch it for one final season. ABC should make sure that Season 8 is Grey’s last season, it’s been going downhill for a long time.

5. Grey says:

20 bucks says Meredith gets early onset Alzheimers and they leave the show together so that Derek can take care of her or continue his research elsewhere to find a cure.

That way the couple gets a bittersweet ending and both get some meaty Emmy material

6. Sandra says:

They can do what ER did with George Clooney’s character……wrtie him out and have him come back as a guest…..

7. Lorac says:

The show has seen its times, it has chaned drastically. From what I understood of it, it should be about Grey and all the other characters supporting, in lesser story lines, hers being the major one. Now everyone has their own story lines that appears to be major. At this point I think that if Ellen and Patrick leave they should end the show and come up with another show adapting the stories that they had for Grey to the new show, should not be too hard to do. I think it is about time, end it at the point that it is now.
    Where before I could not miss it, now it does not matter, end it, end it. Anyways there has been too much sadness and heart break for Meredith and Derek, come on, bring something good for them and drag it out as you guys dragged out Christina’s stint of not operating.

8. anne says:

I agree. Let Patrick go…The show is not as fun as it was in the first four seasons. The show has run its course. Just give us a good show finale is all I ask.

9. Amy says:

Yes Shonda Rhimes, please kill off another one of your characters if the actor decides to leave because hey, that’s not “predictable” as all get out is it? *groan*

10. Mandy says:

I think it would make perfect sense to have Meredith stay, but Derek gone (dead, moved… whatever) Really, the best would be dead because I don’t want to see them break up, but I don’t think Derek would leave without her, not now that they have a kid together.
    Oddly, even though I have never been the hugest Meredith fan, I really can’t see the show without her. I would love Ellen Pompeo to stick around a few more seasons until the end. I think they could finish around season 10.

11. Pat says:

I hope that they don’t kill one of them off, as unless it was the last episode ever, I wouldn’t watch any more if they did. I just hope that they get a job elsewhere and leave together, you don’t always have to have sad endings in programs, it doesn’t make for better viewing,in a depressing world it is nice to have something happy happen to cheer us up.
    When George Clooney left ER they didn’t kill him off, infact later they let Carol join him, with the twins, which was much better.

12. Jeff says:

I don’t want Meredith there if Derek isn’t. Their story for me is together and I would loathe it if they killed him off. That is such a slap to all MerDer fans. It’s insulting. Just end the MerDer storyline after S8 and let these two talented actors go on to other things.

13. Bonnie says:

I’m fine with them killing off Derek if Patrick wants to leave and Ellen wishes to stay. Why should she have to lose out on millions of dollars if she wants to continue on the show just so fans won’t moan? She may finally get some recognition if she gets good material then. I’m a fan of hers and would be glad to see her get some meaty material. I’m also a fan of Patrick and wish him well also. Either way, I’ll watch the show until it ends probably and wish all the actors well. Many in the Greys fandom are so frustrating – either they are 11, extremely immature or just plain rude.

14. Nora says:

Ellen has been saying since the post strike season (4) of GA she will leave when her contract ends at the end of S8. She’s been far more outspoken about going then even Dempsey until recently. I wish them both luck, but I, without a doubt, think Pompeo will go as well and I think that will be the best for both actors and the fans who they have been so gracious and considerate of. Pompoe has been more certain of this than Dempsey has been all along and I wish them both nothing buck great success and luck in their futures.

15. Sade says:

Why does Mcdreamy have to die if he wants to leave the show and Ellen doesn’t? Why not just have him leave a la George Clooney’s character on ER? Just have him get another job and when Ellen is ready to leave the show she can follow.

I really do think however that when Patrick and or Ellen leave the show that it is time to close up shop. I have no interest in any of the other new characters and I can safely say I will not continue to watch. I did it when they killed off George and life went on. I came back to watch this season and the show is a shadow of it’s former self.

I am doing the same with SVU now that Meloni is leaving and Hargitay is scaling back. I think it’s best to go out on top and leave fans with good memories.

16. s says:

Grey’s Anatomy should end next year imo. There is no way the show can survive without MerDer and possibly some of the other ones such as Cristina, Alex and Bailey. WTF cares about the new characters? they have ruined Callie n Mark and Lexie is too annoying to be the new GREY in Grey’s Anatomy. Shonda is also crazy if she’d actually have the nerve to kill off either Meredith or Derek. MerDer should go off into the sunset together with a real MerDer baby.

17. Sally says:

Patrick Dempsey’s rep just got online and said his comments were taken out of line and he just meant his season contract was ending, not that he was leaving. So are we back to thinking Mer will be killed off at the end of the season again? LoL

18. Jen says:

ABC needs to be smart about this and give MerDer their happy ending, make MerDer fans happy, and end Greys Anatomy after season 8!

The show will not survive without Derek AND Meredith…plain and simple! This show is ABOUT MerDer and nobody wants to watch Greys Anatomy without them! ABC needs to take notice of all the shows that suffered after their original characters left and yet the show continued on for too long. ABC needs to avoid this happening and just end the show with grace and dignity after season 8!

I know I will not be watching after season 8 without them and if Shonda even THINKS about killing Derek OR Meredith off at the end of the season because he decides to leave and she stays or vice versa, then I will not be watching season 8 at all in that case because I REFUSE to invest an entire season in a show that will just rip my heart out and kill off one it’s 2 main beloved characters at the end of the season because one of the actors stayed and one of them did not. That would be pathetic! MerDer fans have been so loyal to the show and they deserve the “happily ever after” ending payoff for MerDer and I hope ABC ensures that Shonda and the writers give it to us!!

As I said, I think ABC just needs to end the show after season 8 because the fan base will not be there for the show anymore. However, I can live with whatever happens with the rest of the show just as long as MerDer get a happy ending!

19. Andrew says:

I think the idea of a time-jump at the end of Season 8 has a lot of merit to it. That way Derek and Meredith (as painful as it would be for me to see her go) could leave, along with the Chief who is well-and-truly past his expiry date, and all those who remain can be the new attendings. That would be the best way to handle that, I think. A 3-5 year time jump :P

20. lesliemd says:

Kill off Derek and let Meredith and Christina set up house with the baby that is being adopted in record time.

Pompeo and Dempsey hate each other off-screen, so it’s time for one of them to go. They will al be happier.

• Jamie says:

Said the MerDer hater trying to get a rise out of fans by making up a fake story. LoL. Get a life dude.

• Samantha says:

I think he means Walsh and Dempsey. Dempsey wouldn’t show up for the season 5 TV Guide addek photo shoot leaving Kate Walsh to pose with Eric Dane even though the episode was about addek, turned down interviews for the crossover and has long been outspoken in countless interviews saying he never got why they were Addion/Derek stayed together after the cheating. Got the actors confused, but nice try on the hate.

21. Cody says:

I just want to say that I am a huge Grey’s fan. I’ve seen it from the beginning and never strayed. But the only flaw that there has ever been has been Derek. He is consistently an ass. Do we forget that he implied Meredith was a whore? Then he chose Addison, but that wasn’t good enough so he cheated. And in the finale, though understandably angry, he implied she would be a bad mother. Please stop letting the “nice” hair and good looks fool you. So him leaving, I could care less about. But the show needs to end after this season anyway. But if not, I could live without the two them ending up together.

22. Jensen says:

I love Meredith and Derek. I will miss them when Pompeo and Dempsey leeve. I really love the season one actors so much, but the show is going on it’sw 8th season so it’s only natural that some will leave or at least consider it when their contracts end. Patrick and Ellen did a really lovely interview earlier this season, both thanking fans and talking of how well they work together. It will be sad to see them and others go. It’s what makes the show for me. But if they do, I wish them only the best.

23. Maria says:

Apart from the hardcore Merder fans on the net – the ratings of the latest episodes completely focused on Merder showed that people aren’t that interested in them anymore, yet when the show focuses on others the ratings are better. That should tell ya a lot folks. Hollywood is a town that looks for the young and talented…Pompeo is not exactly Kate Winslet and she’s not 30 anymore. Hollywood is not running after her. IMO if any show can survive without these two is Grey’s Anatomy. If I was ABC and I examined the ratings of this season – I wouldn’t fight to have these two back – I would focus on the characters that brought the ratings UP and that definitely was not Merder this season. It seems to me that the show works as a WHOLE and not based on two people.

• Neely says:

Focused entirely on MerDer? Are we watching the same show? In advance we heard about Cris/Owen pregnancy and that story became a focal point as much as any MerDer SL and let us also not forget that word was out in advance that MerDer would again be breaking up in the finale. Fans of MerDer were saying in advance they didn’t wan to watch this depression as did other fans. Look, seems like you don’t like Ellen Pompeo, and I can respect that, just don’t try to spin this into something you know to be fact. You simply don’t, no matter how much you try to act like you do. Btw..2nd lowest rated episode this season was one focused on Caliie/Arizona, but I would not presume to think their presence is why fans did not tune in because I simply don’t know why that episodes was one of the lowest rated this season and neither do you period.

• Sharon says:

Actually the White Wedding episode was the 4th lowest rating if that is the one you are talking about and I don’t think it was because of Callie and Arizona specifically…I think it was how the episode was done….People tend to get defensive and pissed because for once Shonda has taken the limelight off Mer/Der – Even if the Musical and The white wedding rated low and they were Calzona focused it’s not to say that they specially rate low – In fact Jessica Capshaw has been very very popular since her entry onto the show – She brings a fresh face, someone both men and woman are interested in watching…her relationship with callie and Mark brings new dramas – Mer/Der are old news now

• Smriti says:

Delusional much? Anyways I guess ABC did examine the ratings and the real cause of them being so poor and they did come to conclusion that its perhaps the crappie Callie and Calizona which turned the show into such a suck fest that right after their crappie musical people just got disgusted and didn’t tune back in even for their crappie wedding. and perhaps thats the reason why Calizona weren’t even freaking featured in the SF? ABC indeed did take note but too little too late I guess…

• Sharon says:

Completely agree – Mer/Der are old news…The show has other major players for example Jessica Capshaw and Sara Rameriz…Sandra Oh and Chandra and Kevin are major people…The show can still survive without them and introducing people like Sara and Jesse..bring more younger audiences…Callie and Arizona and Christina and Owen could run that show easily, with Chyler still as the main Grey

24. a.acerra says:

No!! I love the show still, don’t kill Derek, that would kill me, have him leave another way, and get rid of Hunt, he’s just annoying. I think Grey’s is VERY capable of carrying on without Derek, the challenge will be if Ellen leaves too…

25. Sandy says:

If Ellen Pompoe and Patrick Dempsey leave, that would mean that we would be short Ellen, Patrick, Katherine Heigl, TR Knight, Isaiah Washington. 5 of the season one actors who played characters i loved. Sandra Oh has also talked of leaving. This whole loss of the original characerrs will be why I choose not to tune in later. The more that leave, the less I want to watch.

26. ryaneco says:

When main players leave like Dempsey it is time to call it a day IMO.
    The Office should have called it quits with Steve Carrells exit.

• Sharon says:

Dempsey hasn’t been a main character for a long time, Sara and Jessica took up most of Season 7…and they are fresher more interesting characters along with stupid Eric Dane, they bring a lot to the table and with still a strong cast of Chyler and Justin, Sandra and Kevin and newer ones like Sarah and Jesse the show has still a lot of potential! Shonda just needs to make one couple and I asssume it will be Callie and Arizona and Christina and Owen at the forefront – Mer/Der are old news and bring nothing but boring and blandness to the show!

27. stephanie says:

there’s no show without Merder, I don’t care what Shonda might say about continuing without them. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sandra Oh decided to leave too. As much as I like the new people (and Lexie) its pretty obvious to anyone that’s watched the show that they can’t carry it on their own. Plus, the ratings are falling with all the original cast still on so without them even less people would watch. If we could at least say that Shonda and company are still producing great story lines then there could be some hope in continuing the series without the originals. But truthfully the ST lines having gotten incredibly boring and uninspiring. It’s sad but I’d prefer for the show to go off on a high note instead of being canceled.

• Sharon says:

Actually there is a show without Mer/Der – It’s just Mer/Der fans that think that the show revolves around them, In Season 7 Grey’s focused on Callie and Arizona who seem to be the only stable happy couple on the show, It hasn’t been about Mer/Der in a long time, they are boring and bland and don’t bring anything to the show where as people like Jessica Capshaw who audiences have really welcomed and loved are bringing so much more to the show. With keeping Lexi as the Grey of the show with strong couples like Callie and Arizona….People like Bailey and April who are now more establish and keeping Christina and Owen and Alex and Mark the show still has a lot of potential

28. Liz says:

I would rather have Patrick leave than lose Meredith (and Ellen). She is the heart of the show. His character is great to look at but he has really become more and more arrogant and a bit of an ass. He either needs to be taken down a notch or he can go, I don’t care.

• Kellie says:

I want both Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo to stay, but they are both going on 8 seasons of work for GA. They have been loyal, promote the show each season (even did a TV Guide cover, photo, interview together to promote S7 in October of this year) They have been loyal to the show, always speak highly of each other and their enduring friendship, the fans and show creator Shonda Rhimes. They have done well for the Grey’s, so if both choose to leave after this season, I’d be sad, but would also want only the best for them both personally and career-wise and thank them for being a part of a show that I make time to watch on Thursday nights.

29. Guy says:

Look ABC isn’t going to let Ellen go without a fight here. Sure i would like it being the greysfan that i am that both of them leave together but the storylines that could happen after Dempsey leaves for Ellen could be anything. They could kill him off in the shock accident she dreamed about a couple of seasons back. You never know.

I can see Ellen staying to be honest with you. Like i said there are endless possibilities. If she were to leave with Dempsey then they could do what a couple of people have mentioned here and that is jump forward a few years and the current batch of residents can become attendings and sort of reinvent the show around Lexie. Anyway we are a long way off yet so wait and see how it all pans out.

30. ds says:

Ellen Pompeo is one amazing actress. and She made more than clear way before PD and made major buzz that she does intend on leaving Grey’s soon too. Saying S8 is her last several times. But ABC is making both PD and EP take it back cause ABC is still not sure whether to end Greys or not. Cause with no Ellen there is simply no Grey’s.

Ellen and Patrick want out of Grey’s cause the show is circling the drain lately. writers have no clue how to save it or write decent good story lines anymore. cant blame them for wanting out. They deserve better.

Ellen Pompeo is the Grey is Grey’s Anatomy and she has been AMAZING carrying this show for 7 seasons so brilliantly. She deserves to try movies and other things specially that the writing on this show now is soo bad. Ellen went along with everything Shonda threw at her for 7 years if she and Dempsey are done then its their choice to move on and Grey’s is bound to end one day. might as well be season 8. it cant survive without Ellen or Patrick, or MerDer.

31. Smriti says:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo I CANNOT handle a sad MerDer ending. Haven’t MerDer have had enough sadness all these years? After loving them this madly we all deserve a happy ending Ellen should just LEAVE with Patrick coz there is no Meredith without Derek and vice versa She might be the title character but the thing that made Grey’s that kept it floating all these years even with bumps is MERDER not Mer not Der not any damned other character but MERDER They freaking opened the show together. the very first scene of the very first episode started with THEM and it should end with THEM only then we all would get a pay off for investing our emotions to this intense an extent for EIGHT LONG YEARS. To many MerDer aren’t just a tv couple, they are part of their lives, you hardly see couples on TV who have been meant to be since the VERY FIRST SCENE of the damned show and have REMAINED meant to be over the years. I mean they were thrown with so much crap but every time they emerged through it they emerged STRONGER…after all of that they and their fans freaking deserve a happy ending

cannot accept anything else other than a MerDer Happy Ending Elen NEEDS to leave with Patrick the show is sinking its already sunk far below the belt IMO nothing cna revive it MD perhaps r the only characters which still have their grace intact. people out there still love them and believe in them now is the time to just leave giving people something to cherish via MD happy ending

32. EPFAN says:

Ellen said she wants to go back into movies and ABC is not letting her they always want her on Grey’s full attention all the time . She works most hours on set than anyone since she is the Grey of Grey’s Anatomy. Everyone knows that. I would love to see her in movies. her last movie gave her Oscar buzz “Moonlight Mile” she is amazing and deserves to try her luck in Movies.

33. HJ says:

Ellen Pompeo is being paid the most of the Grey’s cast. no secret there. if and only if ABC is planning on bringing Grey’s back for a season 9, then they will jump on it and offer Ellen and Patrick more money for them to stay but from what i heard from those two, they are really done with the show. sad but they deserve to try other things. Ellen specially, she is very very talented.

34. Maggie says:

True. If Shonda Rhimes and Tony Phelan said after the finale, the only way they would separate ate Meredith and Derek is through death, then how anti climatic is the S8 finale going to be now that we have heard from Dempsey that he will leave after S8. I know he had his reps try to retract that statement, but if true, already knowing this spoiler 22 episodes in advance like others have said, is not a good thing for the season 8 finale ratings nor inspires Dempsey fans in particular to want to watch it.

35. Sharon says:

The show hasn’t been focused on Meredith and Derek for a long time they aren’t even really main characters while it will be sad to see one of them or both of them leave, Shonda has a strong cast of 12 other members….As long as Bailey and Christina/Owen are still on the show with Lexi and then you have Callie and Arizona as the main stable couple with their dramas with Mark/Lexi/Avery…now April has been introduced as a more stand out character the show can keep running

Callie and Arizona could be the main couple followed by keeping Christina and Owen together and of course Lexi as the other Grey…she can’t hold the show on her own but with people like Sara and Jessica, Chandra and Sandra…They still have a stellar cast…It hasn’t been the Mer/Der show for a while, they are bland and boring and I’d be quite happy to see them leave

36. G-Man says:

I know it’d be super dramatic and almost wrong, but I say kill Derek in the Season 8 finale. Then, as Meredith can’t take the pain, she also kills herself. To ease it up a little bit for the viewers, you give them some kinda “afterlife” ending à la Izzie in the elevator.

Then, seeing Lexie cope with her half-sister’s death could be a great way to introduce her as the lead and really make her stand out from the pack.

• Michelle says:

Killing off characters is an overused, predictable and kinda sad way for writers to have an easy out rather than try to find a way to write properly. I hope they don’t go that route, but given how badly GA has slipped in it’s quality and ratings, it wouldn’t shock me if Shonda Rhimes and crew stooped to that lazy, predictable out for the characters at the end of S8 sadly. It’s simply a gag-worthy, skimming of the bottom way to handle the show, but it will be no surprise at all if the show is taken to the bottom like that I guess. How I miss the days when Shonda Rhimes and the writers of Grey’s Anatomy actually gave a cr*p about the show, but that was so long ago, I’ve almost forgotten about it. Might as well kill the leads off. Grey’s Anatomy has essentially been killed off for several seasons now, so who would notice?

37. Liz says:

Well, I am not surprised! Why would he or Ellen stay (besides for money?)? They were only used as “bookends” those last couple of seasons! And it’s only NOW that stupid.. I mean Shonda, decides to focus on “original’ characters?

Too late honey.

38. renee says:

I can’t picture the show without Dempsey but remember back when Clooney was on ER? He left… and the show remained (a bit less interesting). Maybe 8 Seasons is a good time for everyone to say goodbye??

39. Danny says:

Ugh – WHO CARES? I guess he’s anxious to produce that script for “Can’t Buy Me Love 2.” Good riddance – I’m so sick of these actors (Christopher Meloni – hello, “The Fanelli Boys”) … biting the hand that feeds them. They owe their loyal fans the way any working American owes it to a company to be loyal if they’re well taken care of … Dempsey FINALLY struck gold after years of struggling (“Lover Boy,” anyone?), and he thinks 8 seasons is time to hang it up? Buh-bye.

40. Nanu says:

If Shonda kills Derek i will hate her!

41. Caro says:

I wouldn’t want either to leave, but if one of them leaves, I hope both Ellen and Patrick will leave and Shonda will write a beautiful ending like they are moving to another city or something, along with their adopted child and their unborn child Meredith is carrying ;-) I couldn’t keep watching Grey’s Anatomy if Shonda would cause a horrible accident or something else that would kill either Meredith or Derek! That would be too painful to watch and I think I’d stop watching Grey’s totally if that were to happen. I couldn’t watch the show while under the impression one of them had died. I would totally stop watching!

On the other hand, if they both would leave, happy and together, for a good reason, I would definitely miss them but we could imagine them being somewhere else, happy together, while we watch the show. It would be as if we’d visit the fantasy world of Grey’s Anatomy where they still exist but aren’t in the picture all the time. Like Addi left for LA and we could invite them back sometimes. THAT would make me keep watching! Not breaking them up by any kind of tragedy. Shonda can’t do that to us!!!

I stopped watching Brothers and Sisters (as a lot of people did, if you ask me) after Robert died. Kill off our beloved tv characters and we’re gone forever. Make them leave happily and we’ll keep hoping to see them back every time we watch!

42. JJ says:

I think Ellen will leave too. Mer and Der will leave together and they’ll try to make Lexie the new star. The problem will come in that I just don’t see it working. I think, with already declining ratings, that the show might be done after Season 9.

43. lo says:

i think that mer & der should have a baby in S8 and then they both die and christina being the godmother is left to raise the baby with proper values, like mer & christina talked about in the S6 finale

44. Bob says:

After 8 seasons, it’s time to end the show. If most/all of the originals leave after next season, you’ve lost the show. So end it gracefully.

45. O says:

I can’t imagine Grey’s Anatomy without Meredith and Derek!
    I LOVE the show but if season 8 is going to be the last season for quite a lot of the original cast than Shonda should end it for good! No Bailey, no Christian either?!?! I don’t think the new characters’ stories are interesting enough to get people to watch the show. But maybe I’m wrong. All I know I wouldn’t be interested without the originals.

46. Mayra says:

Ok, in case they all wanna go, go, but pleeeease, give us an stellar 8th season!

And I don’t think 8 is enough. Even though I can’t imagine Grey’s without Meredith.

47. E Marie says:

I love Grey’s and I am a loyal fan, but this past season was a little boring! I think the show should end next season. The new characters are good, but not like the old. If McDreamy leaves so should Merideth.

48. E Marie says:

49. jaja says:

Whenever P Dempsey is onscreen with Ellen Pompeo, the whole show just picks up heat, energy and becomes sooooo much more interesting. These 2 made the show. I feel Shonda ruined them and could have kept it all in high, high gear had she paid them better homage as a couple and as the show’s stars. Instead she and her writers cluttered it with characters I do not care about. The initial cast was perfect chemistry. And with Patrick and Ellen in the lead, it could have gone on splendidly for at least a few more years. But the way the show is going and has gone–such a meager and outrageously unfair amount of screen time for either of them, and when they are on, their lines are just not much of anything–I don’t blame either one for leaving. Shonda blew it. She had 2 fantastic characters here played perfectly by Patrick and Ellen, and this show would have maintained the highest of ratings had she featured them. They were fabulous. I hate to see them go, but if they do, who can blame them?