Emmys

Emmys 2011: Sizing Up the Best Comedy Race — And Sharing Our Dream Nominees

Summertime isn’t all about pool parties and picnics — at least not here at TVLine. No, for us this week marks the official start of Emmy season, seeing as the nomination process is about to begin, culminating in the July 14 reveal of who did/didn’t got a nod. In the coming days, we’ll be taking a close look at all the contenders in the major races and highlighting our dream candidates — the six shows and performers in each category that we think voters should recognize when they fill out their ballots.

First up: Outstanding Comedy Series. This year, to put it mildly, the competition is no laughing matter. For starters, the showdown between Glee and Modern Family is more intense then ever, as the ABC comedy tries to match the Fox musical’s back-to-back Golden Globes victories with its own consecutive Emmy win. Also, if one or more of a trio of buzzed-about up-and-comers — Community, Parks and Recreation and/or Cougar Town — sneak into the running, that would shake things up as much as seeing an Emmy stalwart — say, 30 Rock or The Office — get bumped by one of Showtime’s female-skewing dramedies. And don’t rule out the possibility of CBS’ Globes-nominated The Big Bang Theory finally scoring itself an Emmy nod.

Ready to dive in? Review this slideshow of contenders — including our half-dozen Dream Nominees — then vote for your own favorite six below. And check back tomorrow for our review of the Lead Actress in a Comedy race!

1. Sam says:

I think most would agree that 30 Rock had a pretty disappointing fourth season. But it came back in a BIG WAY in season 5. With the exception of “Let’s Stay Together,” every episode was consistently great-to-fantastic. However, Community, while not as remarkably consistent, had the highest highs of the season in comedy, and considering they submit certain episodes for judgement (not a whole season), it should win hands down.

• Nanda says:

Completely agree. And Community had some meh episodes, but when it did great it was magnificent. (But I would choose Parks&Rec over it, flawless season)

• Bethany says:

Parks and Rec for all the awards! Flawless would definitely be the world to describe it. One of the best shows on television.

• Shante says:

Glee should win its not only funny but its making an entire generation uplifted

• candice says:

Parks and Recreation makes Glee look about as intelligent as an after-school special. Nanda, you are totally right, FLAWLESS season. Community has also been outstanding for the most part this season and should definitely be nominated. I’m sorry but I just don’t see Glee as a comedy–doesn’t a show have to be funny to be considered comedy????

Modern Family, 30Rock, US of Tara, TBBT, The Office, Cougar Town should all be in the running for nominations as well.

Hell, even Outsourced was funnier than Glee. I guess I just hate Glee lol.

• Jonathan says:

Us of Tara is far from funny, but it is very good. CougarTown all the way, thou community has been great

• sashay says:

I also completely agree with you, Sam. Those were my top two picks. I also added The Office, I actually think it was greatly improved this season. (The worst part was easily Will Ferrell, but the episodes that included Steve Carell managed to cancel him out).
      It was difficult to add three more. I eventually added Modern Family, after adding Chuck and HIMYM. Kind of disappointing to see that I helped put it in first place though. In my mind, the show rarely lives up to its hype. Only Glee is more over-rated. I really hope neither of those two win. I’d much rather TBBT or Parks & Rec. overtook either of them, although I’m not a huge fan of either one’s writing.

• lu says:

I agree that Glee should not win. It has the potential to be a winner but the large inconsistencies of character development and contrived efforts at funny make it a B- level show at best. The show would be better if they put the effort to make it smart. I find myself hoping it is better than it is. When Glee is good, it is great. But, mostly it isn’t. It’s almost.

• Laura says:

Totally agree. I used to love glee and I’ll still watch season 3 cause that show has some weird powers over me, but no way does it deserve to win for this season. The writing has drastically deteriorated. I’m for community all the way. It’s hilarious and it’s got heart and it totally deserves it.

• lazygoldfish says:

I agree. 30 Rock made a great comeback this season.
      Parks&Rec and Community should be also nominated, but i’m afraid it will be Glee vs Modern Family.

• Mike says:

Totally agree too. I voted for Community without hesitation and there really are some great comedies out there right now. But Community was on fire this year. It’s a shame more people don’t watch!

2. Digifreak642 says:

You forgot Louie

3. t.t says:

big bang, how i met your mother, community, modern family, cougar town and the middle honestly

4. Alex says:

I’m a Gleek but Glee doesn’t deserve to be nominated. This season was weak in terms of comedy but whatever, it’ll get nominated anyways. I’m rooting for Modern Family, Community and Parks & Rec.

• irishrose4583 says:

I agree! Glee season 2 does NOT deserve to be nominated over Parks and Rec & Community & Modern Fmaily. Those 2 shows were amazing this year! Parks and Rec did not have one bad episode in my opinion and even the weaker ones of community I found to be amazing and well done. Modern family continues to be sorry for lack of a better word Amazing, but i still would love to see parks and rec take home the prize this year!

• harmograz says:

i am a huge gleek but agree that glee shouldn’t be nominated under ‘comedy’. while Santana had some fantastic one-liners, ‘funny’ is not how i would describe it – more like ‘revolutionary’ or ‘emotional depth’ or something. but it’ll get nominated anyways, and the gleek inside of me gets excited about that. (:

• Berit says:

this category is just like the golden globes comedy or musical. no idea why it’s that way, but it just is. plus it’s more of a sarcastic funny, not a laugh out loud funny. but maybe that’s just me

• GS says:

Glad it’s not just me. I didn’t find it very funny at all. And I want Cougar Town to get a nod! That show is hilarious!

5. RichD30 says:

Did Happy Endings start too late in the season to be a contender?

• davey says:

I was wondering the same thing – a very funny first season!

• Captain says:

Exactly what I thought. it DEFINITELY deserves a nomination!

• ChrisGa says:

Totally agree; some of the casting is a bit weak(Adam Pally’s Max the absolute worst gay character on television bar none) but pure genius of Casey Wilson and Eliza Coupe more than make up for it.

• ej says:

I actually think it’s good casting for Max-I feel like he plays a believable gay man and not some stereotypical gay like Jack from Will & Grace. Just sayin’.

6. Valerie says:

Glee is a comedy? Hard to fit in the funny between the after school special “message” moments.

Bottom line, it doesn’t fit into this category.

• Lisa says:

SO true Valerie — it has been one long after-school special. For that reason, it’s lost my interest and my vote in this category.

• Alex says:

Glee is the hybrid “dramedy” type show, which almost always fits into comedy. Glee is CERTAINLY more comedy than drama, though. Think of it this way: imagine Glee being in the same category as Mad Men. Yeah. Doesn’t really fit, at all, and wouldn’t have a prayer of a chance.

That being said, I think that Modern Family will take home the Emmy again this year. There were no breakout comedy hits this year, and Modern Family had a MUCH stronger season than Glee. Glee’s second season was mostly maligned by critics, and I can’t see the Emmy people being more generous.

I really hope that Big Bang Theory sneaks in a nomination this year, though the Emmys really hate multi-camera comedies, it did receive a Golden Globe best comedy nod, and Jim Parsons did take home both the Emmy and the Golden Globe for outstanding lead actor in a comedy this year.

• Grace says:

Ugh, right?? This is the most frustrating thing for me about the comedy category in the past few years. I LOVE Glee. I also love United States of Tara, Weeds and The Big C. HOWEVER, they are all dramedies and not strictly comedies, and I think the reason they do as well as they do in the comedy category is because of their dramatic elements. It makes me so sad when spectacular examples of true comedy like Parks and Rec, Cougar Town and Community don’t stand a chance against Chris Colfer struggling with sexuality and Laura Linney struggling with cancer and the meaning of life.

Dramedy should have its own category!!

7. Walter says:

I think NBC will get 3 nods for Community, The Office, and Parks and Rec. Each of those shows are genuinely funny and well acted. The other 3 I would pick this year are Modern Family, which will probably win again, Nurse Jackie, and How I met your Mother

8. Andrew C says:

The Big Bang Theory, Chuck, Community, Cougar Town, Modern Family and The Office are the most deserving. Glee isn’t even that funny, so it shouldn’t be nominated for any Emmys this year exept for Outstanding Supporting Actress for Jane Lynch.

• Bethany says:

I’d love to see Chuck win SOMETHING this year, as one last hurrah.

• heather says:

Totally agree. I think chuck has earned it, the show is just all around AWESOME!!!

• Lucy says:

that’s so true!! i totally agree! Chuck is a great show that really diserves to win…it’s even more than just AWESOME! :)…GO CHUCK!!

• GS says:

Sorry but she doesn’t deserve a nod this year. She has been MIA most of the season and except for the funeral episode was not even that funny. I love her but not this year. No one on Glee deserves an acting nod. They all suck but the singing makes up for it.

• Kayla says:

OMG i would love to see chuck get an emmy nod that would be amazing especially since it’s gonna be it’s last season coming up, soooo sad :'( I wish this would happen it wouldn’t even matter if it won just if it got some recognition would be amazing but it’s highly doubtful :( a girl can dream though :)

• Tamryn says:

I totally agree! and it looks like Chuck is actually going to win! Chuck is the most amazing show as it has a mixture of comedy, romance and action! It deserves an emmy! Hopefully if it wins, NBC will change their minds about the next season being the last!

• Mike says:

So true Glee only should be nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress for Jane Lynch. and she will be nominated again I just hope that Sofia Vergara win this year.

• Pamela says:

I agree that Chuck is a show that deserves to win. There is no other show like it on tv. It is James Bond and Get Smart all rolled into one. Chuck is a fantastic show the characters have a chemistry that most shows do not have. It has humor drama and adventure and we do not have to watch anyone eat bugs or other disgusting things. We are tired of the same old shows police shows are all over three CSI shows I mean get real here!!!!!!!!! All those dating shows abound on the networks and they are so boring who cares about these egotistical bimbos and adonis wannabe’s. Chuck is refreashing and clean it does not have to have a bunch of garbage in it to catch your attention because it is a great show it should win every award there is on tv. It is a standard only one other show can compare to and that is NCIS the others are trash! This show is one of a kind why would anyone be so blatantly dumb as to take it off air. What a blooper in the infinite manner! I think NBC must have gone and hired ona them thar fellawa’s fresh off flippin them burgers to run their programing. That is the only excuse for the stupidity of taking off a wonderful show like Chuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Amy says:

PARKS AND REC!!!

10. Jay says:

Big bang theory had a stellar season it would be great for it to be rewarded. Glee was too hit and miss, but it has some great eps and if the right ones are submitted……

11. Ingmar says:

The Big Bang Theory deserves it the most. How I Met Your Mother deserves a nod, just like Cougar Town. Glee is a given just like Modern Family althought I dont like it.

12. the girl says:

Cougar Town certainly deserves a nomination. I don’t know if I believe it will win, but the show is DAMN GOOD. They deserve a nomination this year.

13. Kelly says:

Parks & Recreation has been gaining momentum every season…and season 3 has been the best of an already fantastic show. I agree with the previous poster who said that there wasn’t a bad episode this season! Community also is incredibly deserving of recognition. Well done, NBC.

14. Victor Hugo Soares says:

My picks:

Modern Family
    The Middle
    Hot in Cleveland
    The Big Bang Theory
    The Big C

Glee – don`t deserve that.. was one year below of avarage…

15. Courtney says:

Community, first and foremost. Then Parks, Modern Family, and Cougar Town – definitely the best comedies. HIMYM was great this year, and I would love if it got a nod – doubtful. And I put Glee in there just because it will get a nod even though it was AWFUL this year.

16. Rachel says:

Parks and Rec was flawless this season, if it doesn’t get a nod I will be devastated.

17. Lee Harvey says:

I think Community and Parks and Recreation should get nominations. I’d like to see Amy Poehler get one and, of course, Steve Carell for his work on The Office. Hopefully, Parks and Recreation will win Best Comedy. This season was fantastic.

18. Amber says:

Favorite six? Hmmm….in order of my favs, I guess….
    1. Community (for the win!!!!)
    2. The United States of Tara (In a perfect world, the cancellation would be canceled due to its Emmy nomination)
    3. Modern Family (it has definitely stayed strong since its debut)
    4. The Big Bang Theory (it’s really grown as a show, don’t you think?)
    5. How I Met Your Mother (I think it deserves some love, and all the cast members are great, not just NPH alone)
    6. This is tough, but I think I’m going to pick Parks and Rec over The Office in this last slot. I love The Office, but I’m too angry at Steve Carell for leaving the show, and I hated that they ended the season without having a boss picked out.

As a side note I LOVE It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and in another year that would have been my first choice as winner, but for the last two seasons of that show, I think I’ve only seen one good episode (Mac’s Big Break). The other episodes have been really disappointing. I’m not sure what happened to it, but it hasn’t really been its hilarious self since Season 4. Dare I say they jumped the shark with their Nightman Cometh tour? I like Weeds, Cougartown, Family Guy, The Middle, and Nurse Jackie, but not well enough to say they should be nominated. And if Chuck, Glee, or 30 Rock get nominated, I’ll probably freak out a little, because none of those shows had very good seasons this year. Those three are great shows that were a bit of a letdown this year. As much as I love Glee, I don’t understand all the wins it’s been getting, because season two was in the crapper.

19. LA says:

Glee isn’t funny at all. The Office hasn’t been funny in two seasons. The Showtime shows? Are you kidding?

Parks and Community are the funniest shows on television, followed by Cougar Town and Modern Family. 30 Rock had a great season after a fairly weak one the year before. Truth.

20. abc123 says:

I won’t play until you put Happy Endings as an option. :/

• v says:

I don’t think Happy Endings is eligible for this season. It needs to be a comedy that has ran between May 2010 and April 2011 for more than 10 episodes (or something) which rules out Happy Endings which was a mid season pickup.

PSYCH! PSYCH should be an option. It will NEVER EVER get nominated but it’s hilarious and should get a nod. Or is it not considered a comedy?

Anyway as long as Community finally gets nominated, I’m cool. Don’t really even give a crap about the rest.

21. Tom says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t know why Glee is considered a comedy. Well, I know why it is entered as a comedy (it gives it a better chance to pick up some trophies), but it is not a comedy. It has a funny line or two every episode, but for the most part it is a drama with musical segements. I mean, other dramas like Mad Men are even consistently funier than Glee.

• It’s disappointing that Glee can get nominated as a Comedy when Veronica Mars was one of the funniest dramas and it never got an Emmy nod for drama, let alone comedy.

22. Meghan says:

30 Rock, Community, Parks and Rec, Big Bang, Cougar Town, The Office.

Honestly, where is all of the Cougar Town love. I finally caved and watched all two seasons in the past week. best decision ever.

23. Dominique says:

PARKS & REC! PARKS & REC! PARKS & REC!

Amazingly, this year was even better than its near-flawless second season. Consistently funny with plenty of heart, Parks & Rec is easily my favorite comedy on television right now. SImply put, watching it always leaves me with a big huge grin on my face.

24. Kristina says:

I don’t think Glee should get best Comedy. Overall the season was just okay and the comedy portions of it weren’t as good as Season 1. They could possibly be nominated for drama since the bullying story arc had some tense moments, but they submit it as a comedy and it just wasn’t up to par this season.

25. AJ says:

Where’s Happy Endings on this poll? Validity of survey pending…

• Joana says:

i like that show but let’s great real..it’s not brillian

• AJ says:

Good for you. Maybe some of us feel differently? I was wondering why it wasn’t an option on this poll. I’m sure there’s a reason that I just happen to be unaware of at this present time, considering a bunch of other shows I do not, personally, consider to be ‘brillian’ are on there.

• mawhi says:

It might not be eligible for this year as a mid-season replacement. Can anyone back that up?

26. qwerty says:

Cougar Town would, of course, deserve a nomination, but so would Courteney Cox.

But as long as Cougar Town is called Cougar Town, it won’t get nominated. (Though I’m 5% sure that it will get one nomination: Outstandig Guest Actress in a Comedy Series – Jennifer Aniston).

27. Joana says:

ALL THE AWARDS FOR PARKS AND RECREATION

• Iggi says:

It is the single most amazing TV series right now. Amy Poehler for Best Actress, Nick Offerman for Best Actor and the series for Best Comedy.

28. T McNeil says:

“Community” should get a nomination for the AD&D episode. But I believe that “30 Rock” hasn’t been worthy since season two, “The Big Bang Theory” is vastly overrated and (like all Lorre shows) filled with characters the writers appear to dislike, and that “Modern Family” has more quasi-cruel mockery to offer than laughs. If “Leverage” qualified as a comedy, I think it would have a very outside chance at a nomination, but here’s betting it will be “Modern Family”, “Glee”, “30 Rock”, “The Office” — a nod to the departure of Steve Carrell, “The Big Bang Theory”, and one cable show (“Nurse Jackie” fits the bill, right?).

29. Joana says:

i like that show but let’s great real..it’s not brilliant

30. V says:

This list made me realize how much comedy I watch haha.

Top 6 (in that order & based on the season, not overall)
    6. How I Met Your Mother
    5. The Big Bang Theory
    4. Parks & Rec
    3. Modern Family
    2. Chuck (which will never EVER get nominated, but which had one the best season on TV ever for a bubble show!!!!)
    1. Community (which if there was an award for BEST SHOW OF 2011 would get it because let’s face it, they’re the best).

I want to take a moment to aknowledge the quality seasons of Cougar Town and the Office who both improved 200% from last season.

I want to take another moment to say I am huge fan of 30 Rock but that this season was forgettable and yaaaaaaaaaawnfest. As for Glee it’s entertaining but given that the best episodes are the most dramatic ones… well that makes it hard to pick it over quality funny shows like Modern Family.

When are the Emmy gonna add a Dramedy option for stuff like Chuck, Glee, Weeds and Nurse Jackie. BOOO.

• carolinagirl says:

You are so right about Chuck! Not only a great season for the comedy and romance – but the best freaking guest star lineup hands down of any show on any network this season!

• Chelsea says:

Chuck needs an emmy!! Come on it’s not fair it always gets swept under the bus and it’s an amazing show with an amazing cast that are so underrated and need more recognition!! Especially since it’s the last season come on it needs something to make it go out with a bang i mean everyone says it’s the little show that could, it’s been on the bubble every year yet somehow cuz of the awesome fans we’ve managed to keep it on 4 well now it’s going to be 5 years, they need something going into the last season!! Chuck 4 life!! <3

• Tam says:

Agreed! It actually looks like Chuck is going to win! Chuck is the most amazing show as it has a mixture of comedy, romance and action! It has awesome actors/actresses! It deserves an emmy! Hopefully if it wins, NBC will change their minds about the next season being the last! Not a single Chuck veiwer wants the show to end! So what if it’s the little show that could!? It ‘could’ because it’s such a good show! and now it’s ending! It really shouldn’t! And I’m sure many would agree!

31. Wallice Conners says:

The shows I believe are the most deserving of an Emmy nomination for this category is as listed in order of most deserving 1 being the highest with 4 being the lowest because I only like 4 of these. UST is more of a drama in my opinion.

1. Parks and Recreation
    2. It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia
    3. Big Bang Theory
    4. United States of Tara

32. emma says:

shameless

33. Liz says:

Chuck is long long long overdue for a nomination! I know it wasn’t the best season either, but c’mon! ;)

• Kayla says:

Totally agree with this post 100% but i still found this season to be great maybe not as good as the others but i still loved it and found certain episodes like chuck vs the phase three to be absolutely amazing it made me laugh and cry hysterically :) i can’t wait till it comes out on dvd!!

34. V says:

It’s also so obvious to me by reading the comments that the only reason why Community wouldn’t get nominated is because the Academy thinks they’re too good to watch it.
    I don’t know one person who has watched Community and who hasn’t been impressed. Everyone here who hasn’t put Community in their top 6 seem to be people who just don’t know about it.

If Community doesnt get a nod it wont be because they don’t deserve it, it will be because people who voted haven’t watched the show.

• T says:

I really hope that “Community” doesn’t end up being comedy’s version of “The Wire”. A genius show that critics and audiences love that always gets snubbed by the award shows for the major awards. “Community” is brilliant. If the writing (AT LEAST) doesn’t get a nomination, then The Emmys are officially dead to me. Same goes for “Park and Rec”, another under-rated, pitch perfect show.

• V says:

At least The Wire got other award nods. Community has had no love except from critics which really doesn’t make any sense.

Here is what I think they deserve to be nominated for:
        – Outstanding Series
        – Lead Actor: Joel McHale (if only for his amazing speech in “Paradigms of Human Memory”)
        – Supporting Actress: Alison Brie (who could totally win if she submits either “Conspiracy Theory & Interior Design” or “A Fistful of Paintballs”
        – Supporting Actor: Danny Pudi (who can submit anything because seriously… no actor has impressed me that much since Jim Parsons)
        – Outstanding Writing for “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons”, “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas”, “Critical Film Studies” or/and “A Fistful of Paintballs” (I thought that “For a Few Paintball More” was good but not as amazing as those).
        – Outstanding Directing for “AUC”, “AFOP”, “Intermediate Documentary Filmmaking”, “Paradigms” and/or “Epidemiology”.
        – Outstanding Scoring for “AUC” and “Conspiracy Theory”
        – Outstanding original title song (there is such a thing right? lol( for “AUC”
        – Best Guest Actress – Betty White
        – Best Guest Actor – Josh Holloway

I also want to acknowledge the great writing of “Mixology Certification” and the amazingness that was Donald Glover in it. It’s probably my favorite episode of the season, but mostly because it is so easy to overlook.

Also Donald Glover IS on my list for best supporting actor, but he’s literally my 7th choice after Ty Burrell, Chris Colfer, Danni Pudi, Nick Offerman, Eric Stonestreet and Neil Patrick Harris.

Anyway. That’s my 2 cents for ya lol.

• Anna says:

They used to have a Best Original Title Song (or whatever it was actually called) but it was dropped because so many shows just had a couple of notes and a title card.

35. Kim R says:

Well….I vote for Mike & Molly. The show makes me laugh out loud. :)

36. João Amaral says:

The most deserving series:
    Community
    Cougar Town
    Parks & Rec
    The Middle
    The League
    Modern Family

How its really gonna go:
    The Office
    Glee
    Modern Family
    TBBT
    30 Rock
    Nurse Jackie

• Em says:

Sadly, you’re correct. Maddening.

• Rachel says:

This is depressing and true. Though I have no idea how anyone could watch The Office S7 and Parks & Rec S3 and think The Office is more deserving of a nom this year.

• Jake says:

You forgot the awful Hot in Cleveland, which might also get nominated just because its a sort of throwback comedy to the 80s and 90s and has Betty White. The comedy series category this year is going to be awful. Modern Family was too lazy and safe this year, and Glee was just horrible. I also think The Big C might get in over TBBT, making it even worse (even though I don’t really care for TBBT either). My dream nominees would be:

Community
      Parks & Recreation
      United States of Tara
      Cougar Town
      Louie
      30 Rock

37. Linda says:

PARKS & REC in all the 6 nominees spots!

38. Alex says:

Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock Community 30 Rock

39. Katie says:

I compare all comedies to the ultimate comedy: Arrested Development. As far as meta/cult worthiness, Community wins. Amazing characters goes to Modern Family, Parks & Rec and The Office. Ridiculous situations in an otherwise mundane setting: All of them. Judging only on the past season, I would put it as: Parks & Rec, Community, Modern Family, The Office. I don’t care about the rest. (I do love Chuck, though. It’s just too unique to be categorized with all the other comedies.)

• Jake says:

I agree about Community and Parks & Recreation, but amazing characters, Modern Family? Really? Let me see, Phil is stupid, Claire’s a raging controlfreak of a bitch, Jay is always cranky, Mitchell is whiny and competitive, Cameron is fat and naive, and HAHA they are gay, Gloria speaks funny, but is hot. Rinse and repeat in every episode until oblivion. The jokes every week is just so lazy and stereotypical and they never learn. The children are the show’s saving grace at this point as they constantly develop and we see new sides to their identities. With the adults? Not so much. Of course the show is going to win best comedy series for its second season as well, but it certainly won’t be for it’s “amazing”, whiny, sterotypical characters.

• Vixela says:

Community has amazing characters too. That’s the brilliance of the show. They can do meta-comedy, parody, and grounded sitcom episodes so well because the characters are consistent throughout the madness of Greendale. Plus, I firmly believe that they have the best ensemble cast. Second would be Parks & Rec.

40. Jeremy M. Boegel says:

GLEE and MODERN FAMILY are locks (whether they deserve the nods or not for respective “sophomore slump” seasons). 30 ROCK (which had a pretty good year) is beloved by Emmys even when they had not-so-good seasons, so that will get in there. THE OFFICE has a strong chance as it is going through a creative change (with Carell’s departure). Of the two remaining slots, I’m rooting for BIG BANG THEORY to get one of the spots (and its highly likely as it also had a really good year!). HOT IN CLEVELAND might get in there based on the money TV Land is throwing into the campaign. One of the Showtime shows could surprise too (either BIG C or NURSE JACKIE). But my last vote would go to either PARKS AND REC or COMMUNITY as they are two of the best sitcoms on TV!
    To sum up:
    What WILL get Nominated: BIG BANG THEORY, GLEE, HOT IN CLEVELAND, MODERN FAMILY, THE OFFICE and 30 ROCK
    What SHOULD: BIG BANG THEORY, COMMUNITY, GLEE, MODERN FAMILY, PARKS AND REC and 30 ROCK

41. Iggi says:

Best Comedy Nominees:
    30 Rock, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, Glee, Parks and Rec.

Winner:
    Parks and Recreation

42. Bamabunny says:

Two words: no “Archer?”

43. Amy says:

Parks and Rec for the win!! Hands down the best and most consistent laugh out loud comedy out there. I also hope to see Community, Big Bang Theory, and The Middle in there.

• Amy says:

I forgot to add: I love Modern Family and would be happy to see it win again, but I hope Parks and Rec is at least nominated. It would be a crime if not.

44. Nanda says:

Parks&Recreation deserve to win, no doubt about that. Community had a good season, but I was disappointed and some episodes were just boring. However some were spectacular so I would give it a nom (and it’s also the most creative comedy out there so yeah…). 30 Rock didn’t have its strongest season but it was great as usual. Cougar Town is great! Just forget the name and the first episodes. These would be my series nominations. HIMYM had a bad, boring season. Modern Family was not even close to s1, but there were some good episodes. Seriously, for those two spots anything but Glee.

45. Teresa says:

Parks and REcreations and Community should get some love finally…

46. xti says:

Parks and Recreation for everything. I don’t care about anything else.

47. Megan says:

It would never have a shot of getting nominated, but besides Cougar Town and Modern Family, The League cracks me up every episode without fail. “Naginata, Naginata, that’s what I’m inta . . .”

• João Amaral says:

someone is on The League team with me. yey
      it makes me sad that people run away from it because of the fantasy football thing, its much more than that.

48. MiaS says:

Where was PSYCH?

49. John says:

Glee shouldn’t have been nominated last year, let alone this year. After the 13 episodes, it became awful drivel.

50. Aiden says:

Community
    Cougar Town
    Chuck
    Parks and Recreation
    Modern Family
    The Big Bang Theory

…this is my dream list of nominees, although I know there’s probably little to no chance this will come true. I’m just going by who’s deserving of the recognition based how much I enjoyed what I’m watching
    Simply put, for me, these 6 shows kicked the most ass during TV Season 2010-2011.