Fall TV Mystery: Who Will Parks and Recreation Cast as Tammy No. 1?

When Parks and Recreation introduced us to Ron’s ex, Tammy 2 (Megan Mullally), we were scared. Or so we thought. Now that the NBC hitcom’s season finale has suggested that we’re about to meet her predecessor, Tammy 1, we know the true meaning of fear. What we don’t know is who’s gonna play the queen of mean. A few suggestions:

Glenn Close | We can already hear the Fatal Attraction psycho snarling, “I’m not gonna be ignored, Ron!” Hence, my shuddering on this sweaty May day. And wouldn’t you agree, if she’s ever gonna get to go further over the top than Cruella de Vil, this’ll be the role that lets her do it?

Jan Hooks | The former Designing woman’s 30 Rock guest gig as Jenna’s grizzly mama reminded us just how much we miss seeing her shtick on a regular basis. Besides that, wouldn’t her go-for-broke acting style fit right in among the crazies of Pawnee?

Charlotte Ross | Speaking of scene-stealers we miss… ! This born vixen got her big break playing a teenage hooker on Days of Our Lives. And though she’s most widely known for playing a do-gooder on NYPD Blue, she’s at her best when her characters are doing their worst (see also: Beggars and Choosers, The 5 Mrs. Buchanans).

Lucy Lawless | Thanks to Battlestar Galactica and Spartacus, everybody knows the erstwhile Xena is a force to be reckoned with. But did you know that she’s also funny as all get-out? No? Then you clearly haven’t seen her fooling around with Joel McHale on The Soup, which in my mind, qualifies as reason No. 21,104 why she’s needs to play Tammy 1.

Roseanne | Like Satan, she only needs a single name to strike terror into the hearts of us mere mortals. Unlike Satan, the She-Devil star’s not just intimidating, she’s hysterical, too.

Kim Cattrall | If anybody could treat PnR’s Ron like dirt and still keep him coming back for more, it’s Sex and the City’s libidinous Samantha Jones. Question is, since she’s already so closely associated with one bitchy vamp, would she see in Tammy 1 enough of a challenge to bother taking on another?

Wanda Sykes | Not only do we already know she can bust a guy’s chops with no more than a withering glare (courtesy of… um, pretty much every role she’s ever played), but the thought of how uproarious it would be to see how the censors would handle the legendary pottie mouth talking dirty to Ron makes her perhaps our favorite candidate.

Kirstie Alley | Long before she turned her struggles with weight into a multi-million dollar industry, Alley was an Emmy-winning actress who excelled at playing complicated women — and by “complicated” I mean bat-crap “crazy.”

Comments (145)

• Molly Shannon or Elizabeth Mitchell would be my top choices.

Comment by Sara – May 30, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope. Jennifer Coolidge.

Comment by C – May 30, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perfect. Ausiello needs to add her to the list.

Comment by Lolie – May 30, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by DL – May 30, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Another person I never got the appeal of. Jan Hooks, Wanda Sykes, and Kim Cattral too.

Comment by me – May 30, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good choice. Another suggestion – Alison Janey (from Mr. Sunshine, playing the same type of character). Or Jane Lynch if the powers that be would let her guest star. Or Fammke Jannsen.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 30, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fammke Jannsen would be PERFECT. She’s hot and she can really play bitchy characters or even evil (see Jean Grey, from X-Men)

Comment by Iggi – May 31, 2011 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Sheikia – May 31, 2011 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by laylagalise – May 31, 2011 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely my first thought too!!! Jennifer Coolidge for the win!

Comment by Eternal Clementine – May 31, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Yes! Yes! Jennifer Coolidge is perfect. “stunt casting” would ruin it.

Comment by Beth – June 28, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parks and Rec is the single most awesome TV series there is… I laughed for an hour straight after watching Tammy 2 get terrified out of her mind when seeing Tammy 1 in Ron’s Office. Genious.

Comment by Iggi – May 30, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jean Smart

Comment by JJ – May 30, 2011 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Weird, I was thinking the same thing. She was so great in Samantha Who and Garden State.

Comment by Corinne – May 30, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking Jean as well. Since she is no longer on Hawaii 5-0
      It would be funny if Ron’s first was “an experienced lady” maybe make it that Tammy 1 was once his and Tammy 2′s old teacher?

I like your Lucy Lawless suggestion, and I’m also digging Lisa Kudrow, but what about Kristen Wiig? I have a feeling Wiig could do an amazing “Fatal Attraction” version of an ex-wife or a real ball-buster ex.

Comment by Erik – May 30, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most of these “nominees” are way too old…remember, Ron’s in his mid 40′s.

Comment by Bob Gassel – May 30, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…

Comment by mawhi – May 30, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Megan Mullally is about 12 years older than Ron.

Comment by Steven – May 30, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, but you can’t exactly call that implausible since she’s married to Nick Offerman (that sounds so weird to say about real people I’m so sorry… blame the internet). Anyway, some of these ladies are closer to 20 years older than him!

Comment by mawhi – May 30, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Megan Mullally is indeed 12 years older, but she sure doesn’t look it. Whatta babe.

Comment by Guest – May 30, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Ron” may be in his mid 40′s, but looks older. It only matters that they look about the same age.

Comment by maggie – May 31, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Kudrow

Comment by ggny – May 30, 2011 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only one actress has the ability to mix crazy and manipulation in a mannner that would scare not only Ron but Tammy 2.0 as well: Andrea Evans, the original Tina from One Life to Live. I had the biggest crush… therapy has helped.

Comment by emmitwest – May 30, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kirstie Alley would be amazing. I loved her in Veronica’s Closet. Or how about her fellow Cheers alumna Bebe Neuwirth?

Comment by Steven – May 30, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me it’s a 3-way tie between Glenn Close, Lucy Lawless and Kirstie Alley. Those are the only three I could picture terrifying Tammy 2.

Comment by Kristi – May 30, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some other suggestions I’ve seen include Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Allison Janney, yeah Molly Shannon and Debra Messing (just to be ridiculous and unlikely because of Smash).

Comment by mawhi – May 30, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julia!

Comment by drelo – May 30, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the Julia suggestion – she fits Ron’s type (brown hair) and she can play crazy, plus she’s hilarious. I also love Rachel Harris who plays a great bitch. My dream would be Kathleen Turner, but the ages are way too off unless it was a major May-December relationship.

Comment by Nicole – May 31, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For some reason I hope Megan Mullaly plays Tammy number one too.

Comment by Ross Bonaime – May 30, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When my husband said it, I knew he was right – Jane Kaczmarek.

Comment by Em – May 30, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woah!!! That’s awesome. I really hope they do that now.

Comment by Jamie – May 30, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Juliet Landau is 39, and she can do magnetic/seductive/psycho/creepy/dangerous

Comment by ladyhelix – May 30, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! A MILLION TIMES YES! If any of those sparkly twilight vampires ever met Drusilla they’d be crying to their mommies in no time.

Comment by me – May 30, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My short list would be Jean Smart, Allison Janney, Jane Lynch, or Lisa Kudrow.

Comment by Corinne – May 30, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lisa Edelstein!

Comment by Laura – May 30, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YAAAAAAAH!!!! Great choice!

Comment by Larry – May 30, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!! oh she she would be perfect and she is now free. she can acts crazy she did an splendid epi of frasier where she plays a loony chick. plus ron likes brunets.

Comment by sandy – May 30, 2011 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at “Glenn Close.”

Comment by Elijah – May 30, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Tammy 1 should be blond! Ron is a simple man, he likes pretty dark haired women and breakfast food :D

Comment by Latifah – May 30, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes! Ron stated he liked smart brunettes…so as much as i would LOVE Glenn Close to be Tammy 1.0, it’s a pope dream,me thinks.

Roseanne FTW.

Comment by sherylgurl – May 31, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ALLISON JANNEY, CLEARLY.

Comment by Aly – May 30, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. There’s nothing AJ wouldn’t be great in.

Comment by Chase – May 30, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of great suggestions here… Has there been any hint as to what she does for a career?

Comment by Chris_Griff_3 – May 30, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh… where is Tina Fey? :duh:

Comment by El – May 30, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let her be the right hand to Bill Murray (the Pawnee mayor).

Comment by drelo – May 30, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • lol, great idea!

Comment by js – May 31, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If they aren’t able to get Murray to play the mayor I can’t lie – any other choice will be a disappointment now. I mean, it would be AMAZING.

Comment by Nicole – May 31, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are many great suggestions on the board. Tina Fey would be a great idea.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 30, 2011 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How has no one mentioned Catherine O’Hara yet?

Comment by John – May 30, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh wow, great call.

Comment by Corey P. – May 30, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brilliant! After watching SCTV reruns, I’m convinced she’d be the perfect mix of crazy, seductive and manipulative… perfect for Ron!

Comment by ally – May 30, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Comment by Sheikia – May 31, 2011 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melora hardin (Jan on the office)

Comment by Anon – May 30, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elizabeth Mitchell!

Comment by Manissa – May 30, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would die. Love her.

Comment by susan – May 30, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ooh, that’s a good one.

Comment by shaz – May 30, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, my vote’s for Allison Janney.

Comment by nyshopgirl14 – May 30, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hiw about Winona Ryder? She looks sweet but can play crazy!

Comment by Liza180 – May 30, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brooke Shields can play crazy too. And she’s more age appropriate than some of these other actresses.

The only other actress I can think of who would be perfect would be a total opposite – Zelda Rubinstein. Of course, she passed away. So Brooke it is.

Comment by Jon – May 30, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just thinking Brooke Shields. I loved when she played the crazy fan who thought Dr. Drake Ramorea was real on Friends.

Comment by Amy – May 31, 2011 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Mafalda – May 31, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with everyone who said Allison Janney. She can be hilarious and she can be scary when needed. I can see her making Megan Mullally run for the hills.

Comment by Jim – May 30, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh GOD NO to Kirstie Alley!!! I could be happy with either Kim Cattrall or Glenn Close. But my top choices are Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, or Uma Thurman.

Comment by Kathryn – May 30, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s never gonna happen, but i would love KAtey Sagal as Tammy 1! Either her or Jennifer Coolidge.

Comment by Thari – May 30, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly second Katey Sagal. She’d be amazing.

Comment by Summer – May 31, 2011 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tina Fey! Ron Swanson likes women with brown hair and glasses? I would assume that he went for that 1st time around as well.

Comment by Linda – May 30, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, under any other circumstances I wouldn’t pick Kim Cattrall, but the idea of her playing opposite Nick Offerman is too much to resist.

Comment by Sam – May 30, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elizabeth Mitchell of course. She can play the comedic crazy better than anyone on that list.

Comment by CC – May 30, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bebe Neuwirth IMO, but Lawless is genius also, too. As well.

Comment by Corey Pietrzak – May 30, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucy Lawless, Lisa Kudrow, Katey Sagal, Tina Fey or Julia Louis-Dreyfuss !

Comment by Soso – May 30, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • or Rachel Griffiths !

Comment by Soso – May 30, 2011 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Joan Cusak?

Comment by EM – May 30, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Minnie Driver!

Comment by d_dets – May 30, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good suggestion, she was so fantastic on her guest spots for Will and Grace.

Comment by Corinne – May 30, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it would be great to see those 2 face off against each other again. i also kind of love the catherine o’hara suggestion.

Comment by murley – May 31, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim Cattrall would be hilarious. I wouldn’t mind Jean Smart, Catherine O’Hara, or hell, Marisa Tomei can totally play crazy.

Comment by Kristen – May 30, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who played Glory on Buffy? THERE’S Tammy 1. Might be too young. I would be equally happy with Allison Janney.

Comment by Chase – May 30, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clare Kramer, and yeah, she’s 37 and looks younger.

Comment by Corey P. – May 30, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Christine Lahti? Great actress who can play funny, mean and crazy

Comment by Casey – May 30, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh….how about Nick Offerman in drag? He wants it too

Comment by Reda – May 30, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glenn Close is too busy doing better things — like portraying the amazing Patty Hewes in DIrecTV’s “Damages.”

Comment by mia – May 30, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LUCY LAWLESS please!!!

Comment by Dan – May 30, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lucy
    freakin
    lawless.

Comment by machoman – May 30, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gotta say the names that came to my mind originally were Lisa Kudrow, Elizabeth Mitchell and Jean Smart. Not really a fan of any of the names mentioned in the article. But I voted Lucy Lawless. But I like Joan Cusack and Minnie Driver were mentioned in the comments. The latter would be fun to go toe to toe with Megan Mullallny again like in Will & Grace

Comment by Simon – May 30, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jane Lynch gets some weeks off from GLEE, right? Having one more PARTY DOWN cast member on could never hurt.

Comment by Charles – May 30, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My sister and I were talking about this and we feel that Parks and Rec need to blow the budget and hire a Oscar winner to play Tammy 1. Someone like Nicole Kidman or Penelope Cruz. Someone who married Ron for the green card (Ron was young and in love) and proceeded to make Ron’s life a living hell. I know the chances of that are slim, but it’s worth a shot.

Comment by Tasha – May 30, 2011 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The green card thing has been done – Wendy and Tom.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 30, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You will never be able to beat the chemistry that Nick and Megan have, so if you aren’t going to have Megan play both Tammy’s, then it doesn’t really matter who it get. It won’t be as good as Nick and Megan.

Comment by rjmae – May 30, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, no, no… they need to go the opposite direction and cast someone really shy and sweet and unassuming. Then the comedy is in trying to figure out why the heck Ron is so scared of her. (Who is the American version of Primeval’s Ruth Kearney? Somebody like that would be hilarious.)

Comment by Ace – May 30, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve got it — Sports Night’s Sabrina Lloyd. She’s brunette, she’s of an appropriate age, and she’s adorably unthreatening. Why on earth would The Great Ron Swanson be afraid of such a wonderful little person? Therein lies the plot.

Comment by Ace – May 30, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that going sweet and nice would be a clever direction to take this. My choice for that isn’t a brunette, but no one does sweet and nice (and cute, and vulnerable, and sexy, and …) better than Andrea Anders. I still miss her from Better Off Ted. Her role in the (deservedly) canceled Mr. Sunshine was sadly underdeveloped, so I hope we get to see her in something else real soon.

Comment by Jabbertalky – May 30, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Going the opposite way is what I think too. Why would Ron and Tammy 2 be so apprehensive of someone sweet and likable, that would be a great question. To make it even funnier, have Megan play the Tammy 1 too (she could wear a wig and her contacts). Then you have a sweet Tammy and an evil Tammy, only they look almost identical. That would be hilarious.

Comment by goflboyu – May 30, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of course to complete this idea, Mullally would also have to play Ron’s mother at some point as well.

Comment by John – May 31, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maya Rudolph if you were going another direction and casting someone sweet.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 30, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you are going that direction i would have to nominate amy acker. she can also turn on the crazy when needed.

Comment by murley – May 31, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amy Acker is a great idea!!! She could do the sweet/crazy dichotomy perfectly, and I’ve really been missing her since Dollhouse ended!

Comment by Ace – May 31, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post