Emmys

Emmy Shocker: Two and a Half Men Won't Compete For Best Comedy Series

With 16 produced and aired episodes, the eighth season of the CBS comedy Two and a Half Men is more than eligible for a best comedy series Emmy Award. But the veteran sitcom, which has been the subject of controversy surrounding now-former star Charlie Sheen, won’t be in the running.

A source at the show’s producer Warner Bros. TV confirmed that Two and a Half Men was not submitted for best comedy. According to the insider, the feeling was that, given all of the off screen drama, Men should not be submitted for consideration in the best comedy series category.

Meanwhile, it’s still unclear if Sheen himself will be part of this year’s Emmy race.

For more details on this story, head over to TVLine’s sister site, Deadline.com.

1. Mike says:

That should make Big Bang Theory a lock to win.

• Sure it will. As soon as “30 Rock” is over. Did I miss something or are they still getting every award on the planet for no appreciable reason?

• Liz says:

For no appreciable reason? Have you even watched 30 Rock? Tina Fey is a comedic genius.

• JohnDoe says:

LOL! @ Tina Fey being a comedy genius. She single-handedly ruined SNL in my opinion.

• Bob says:

Sorry, that honor belongs to the current head writer, Seth Meyers. Tina Fey hasn’t been a regular on SNL since 2006. The show has basically been a stinker since, except for a few memorable moments (Betty White, Fey as Palin). The “Update” segments haven’t been memorable since Fey/Poehler.

• RAGGEDT says:

Yes, you did miss something: “Modern Family” ended the “30 Rock” streak last year. As defending champion, it should be considered the favorite. (Though I’m a fan TBBT, MF and “30 Rock.”)

• sadtroll says:

Ha! Y’just got Russtrolled!

2. Josh says:

Lock? Im not too sure about that. P&R has ha a pretty successful season.

3. AJ says:

Mike & Josh – I think you forgot Modern Family.

4. Nate says:

Oh don’t worry. I’m sure they’ll manage to still give it to a show that is either not the best (like the shell of its former self Office) or not a comedy (just because it’s a half hour doesn’t mean Nurse Jackie is a comedy)

5. Simon Jester says:

“Shocker”? Really?

Don’t think so, mate.

6. mario says:

don’t forget the monstrosity that is GLEE being considered a “comedy series”, let alone one that’s considered for Emmy noms. This season has been so horrible one.

• amelia says:

agreed!!

• dfadsfadsf says:

Agreed!! This season was absolute GARBAGE!!!! The first 9 episodes were awesome! but after that it sucked!

• Rachel says:

True, but they had a handful of really stellar episodes (including the Prom episode, & Born This Way) – I’m pretty sure they only have to submit a few. Pick and choose, and you have a picture of a really great show.

7. There are NO great situation comedies on television today, nor has there been in quite awhile. So its a moot point. They are just competing to see who’s the least of the worst.

• dave says:

Big Bang Theory
      Modern Family
      Community
      Parks and Recreation

ALL very solid comedies IMO.

• Lana says:

I’d like to add Cougar Town to that list.

• sashay says:

I’s give it to Community, hands down, but The Office and 30 Rock would easily vie for my second picks. Or two comedies that I liked very much that have just been cancelled – Traffic Light and/or Perfect Couples. I think the other shows you’ve listed have moments of good comedy, but nothing of the calibre of Community, 30 Rock or The Office.

• Bob says:

The Office would only win on the fumes of past seasons. This season was mediocre, at best. You can easily toss out every episode featuring Will Ferrell.

• Rachel says:

Add HIMYM, too!

• dave says:

Do not know HOW I forgot HIMYM. Definitely some solid comedies on now a days. Enough to get rid of the damned “reality” garbage we have to deal with…………….

8. z says:

Good thing we have sites like deadline.com to bring us all the breaking TV news!

9. Sam says:

I’m so confused. There was little to no chance of them winning anyway, so why is this news? You’d think they were taking a frontrunner out of the race.
    Sidenote: The Big Bang Theory will not win. Modern Family, 30 Rock, Raising Hope, The Office, Parks and Rec, even Glee (shudder) have much better chances of even getting nominated. Laugh track sitcoms haven’t won for 5 years. And you think TBBT is going to change that? Really?

• Alex says:

30 Rock is well past its prime. Same with The Office. I can’t see Parks & Rec winning either, and Glee went so far downhill this season. I’d bet that The Big Bang Theory at least gets a nomination, given that Jim Parsons took home both the Emmy and Golden Globe for lead actor in a comedy this year.

• Travis says:

A) TBBT has never had a prime. Jim Parsons carries that show like an anchor on his leg.
        B) Pretty much every critic (aka, everyone who’s indicative of what an Emmy committee might be) thinks 30 Rock has had a creative resurgence this season. Have you even watched it? I Heart Connecticut is one of the best episodes the show’s ever done.
        C) An ACTOR is different than a SHOW. Kyra Sedgwick has gotten 5 noms for The Closer, but the show’s never been nominated.

• jenna says:

I really don’t see how you can think that about TBBT. The shows definitely gone downhill this season, in my opinion its because of Amy and Priya

• Mike says:

With the exception of one or two episodes, I think TBBT really got good this season. Penny finally got some women to work with, which is something this show needed.

The “rumors” episode is the best episode of the entire series.

10. Linda says:

Give Parks & Recreation some love this year! It is totally deserved!!

11. Brittany says:

I hope Modern Family wins. I hope Community (how has it not been nominated yet?!) and Glee (I know a lot of people didn’t like this season, but my sister and I both still did, please no negative comments about that, it’s just our opinion), and The Big Bang Theory get nominated. For best drama series I want either The Good Wife or Dexter to win. And Parenthood and Fringe need to get nominated! (John Noble NEEDS an emmy now!)

12. ruby says:

what I think is some others shows should do the same please read the following post feedback is appreciated

13. Dennis says:

Where’s the love for The Middle? It’s consistently hilarious.

14. Sourabh says:

I’d like Community, It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Archer and Parks & Rec to at least get a nomination.
    But I guess if all deserving shows were nominated, we’d have to go Oscar style with 10 nominees.

Also, please stop nominating Glee, not only does it not compare with the other actual comedies, this season was horrendous.

• lesfull says:

In a perfect world we’d get those shows nominated. Alas, only in a perfect world.

• JC says:

Archer was the single funniest show on TV this past season. But Emmy voters will never get past the fact that it’s animated, so it won’t get the nomination it deserves. Sunny may have deserved a nom in seasons past, but I think it slipped a little this season.

I always get the feeling Emmy voters watch far less TV than the average viewer. So they will probably buy into the hype that is Glee, and hold onto the outdated notion that The Office is great.

15. Fox Jericho says:

They should give the award to Sheen just to shoot a giant middle finger to Chuck “The Douchebag” Lorre. I wouldnt watch Kutcher The Butcher in Charlie’s place. Not now, not ever.

• Amanda says:

Sheesh, did you get fired by the guy or something?

I don’t watch the show or care about it, but I don’t think it’s fair to the rest of the cast and crew involved to completely pull it from consideration.

• Amy says:

Thanks, Charlie. Unfortunately, nobody in the business is giving a middle finger to Chuck Lorre, because he remains a power broker. And also he remains employed, something you — I mean, Charlie Sheen is unlikely to be ever again.

16. Ashley says:

Does this mean “Community” will have a better shot at getting nominated? It was criminally overlooked last year!

• Buffy Freak says:

Not really because Two and Half Men wasn’t nominated last year or the year before so it didn’t bump Community from a slot.

17. Tom says:

I may be in the minority, but I think The Middle should be in the running!

18. Brian says:

It wasn’t nominated the last 2 years and wouldn’t have been this year even if it was submitted.

19. ggny says:

who cares it wouldnt have been nominated anyways

20. Buffy Freak says:

My nominees would be: Modern Family, Parks & Recreation, Cougar Town, 30 Rock and either Archer or It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

• Sam says:

I’d replace Cougar Town with Community and Modern Family with Raising Hope. Or maybe give a little love to The League, which is consistently brilliant.

21. Em says:

Parks and Rec deserves the Emmy! It is the most consistent in terms of comedy, acting, and storylines. I love 30 Rock and Modern Family but PnR out-performed both this season.

22. Dillon says:

Parks and recreation or modern family!!

23. Jimmy says:

Why should it? It’s been fun to watch most of the time but I would never consider it one of the “best” comedies on television. Moreover, this past season had been horrendous and not worth of even a nomination.

24. V says:

Given that Two and Half Men weren’t even NOMINATED last year, this doesn’t really make a huge difference now does it?

Here are my personal picks for best comedy:
    Community, Cougar Town, The Office, Modern Family, Parks & Rec, Big Bang Theory.

This was 30 Rock’s WORST season. They do not deserve to be even nominated but I’m guessing they’ll take Community or Cougar Town’s spot.

My bets for best comedy?
    The Office, Modern Family, Glee, 30 Rock, The Big C, Nurse Jackie.

Sad but predictable. Only interchangeable options are The Office and The Big C, but I really really doubt that the academy will change those for Community or BBT.

Who cares anyway? No one really cares about the Emmy except for Emmy voters lol.

• V says:

I just considered one thing though. It is possible that Two and Half Men have split “CBS votes” in the past (which is why neither Men or BBT got nominated). With that said maybe BBT DOES have a better chance to get on the ballot. Now that would be cool. They won’t win but I’d cheer :p

• ChiChi says:

I think I’d care if they actually nominated some shows that I really like, such as Fringe and Community. As it is, same old, same old.

25. Don says:

While “The Big Bang Theory” is a cinch to be nominated and possibly win, I don’t think the show is as good as it was in the first 2 seasons. I’m a big fan of the earlier shows. I haven’t enjoyed the current season as much since the scripts have added so much “potty” humor.

26. Kera9988 says:

Modern Family totally the best..

27. garrett says:

why does two and a half men use canned lafter ? they could fill the studio with enough people. i have been to several tapings of shows and they bus people in for the tapings. another thing is people complain about how two and a half men is not a good show but is’s funny it is stilll number after 8 years one until aston comes aboard for chuck to make his point !

28. Huffy says:

Good. The fact that this awful, awful show has almost twenty times the nominations as the Wire shows what an absolute joke the Emmys are.

29. JohnDoe says:

Why would it be nominated anyways? It’s the same fart, sex and poop jokes over and over again. Terrible.

30. james says:

no one on this list mentioned how i met ur mother. a solid show and a great season with alot of heart. that or community which in my opinion are the two funniest shows on t.v. rite now

31. :D says:

Wait a minute what about how I met your mother ????????

32. Aidan says:

Thats such a shame Stupid Charlie Sheen

33. Danny says:

Even if Two and a Half Men had sent their nomination, it would have had no chance to win. Modern Family will take the best comedy series this year, like it took last year.

34. Bob says:

Who cares about 2 1/2 Men? Most of the 16 episodes this season were marginal. Just retreads of old, stale jokes. It’ll be a showdown between 30 Rock and Modern Family.

35. VogVoo says:

lol, is anyone actually surprised?

36. Alexandre says:

WOW! Now that’s a big shocker.

37. lishu says:

..’../
    ……….\………………/
    …………\…………..(
    …….

Google in the input: = tntn.us ==you can find many brand names, even more surprising is that he will sell you the unexpected o(∩_∩)o

38. zhenglishu says:

‘../
    ……….\………………/
    …………\…………..(
    …….

39. milessilverberg says:

For whom is this a shock? The show wasn’t even nominated the last two years (which I applaud, since I have yet to find the show funny). And now it’s on a one-year life support to beef up its syndication value. For a show like this, nobody cares about awards anymore. It’s strictly down & dirty business.

40. Zach Katz says:

So I understand why he wouldnt be or the show since did not show all of it but are they going to sell the whole 8th season so can see the end of it also was one of funniest seasons I think and we deserve to see rest as the fans

41. George says:

Dear Nellie. This is a “Shocker”… because?

42. Kevin says:

Two and a Half Men and CBS must do the right thing and canceled this sitcom by next year because of Ashton Kutcher.

43. Me says:

I agree with the people saying Community should got a nomination, and in my opinion the win too. I don’t get why people are so over the moon about Modern Family. It’s funny don’t get me wrong, but it’s nothing more than an Office clone about a family. Plus, I place Cameron in the “Cartoony flamboyant Sex In The City” type gays Max admonished Penny about on Happy Endings, which, FSM hoping, gets nominated a year from now over Modern Family

44. kriti shah says:

In my view they have good chances of winning the award had they competed.The series is really hilarious.

45. rajeev verma says:

@ kriti shah Two and a Half Men is ok or time pass but not hilarious.In my view only serial in that category is “Friends”.

46. Marvellus Lucas Comedy Blog. My name is Marvellus Lucas and I am a stand-up comedian from San Francisco CA. I am a comedian and I also produce comedy shows. I love to keep the punchline going. I have put this blog together for a place of entertainment and comedian review. On this blog you can comment on the funniest jokes, funny videos, top comedians, youtube comedy, and live stand-up comedy. Marvellus Lucas comedy blog is where you can get your laugh on. On this blog I encourage you to drop one-liners and funny jokes in the post a comment section. However, it’s forbidden to use racial remarks on this comedy site. There will be a lot of top comedians that will stop by Marvellus Lucas Comedy Blog and say some of the funniest jokes and talk about stand-up comedy in San Francisco and the U.S.A. I also encourage comedians to post their up and coming comedy shows on the post a comment section.

47. Marvellus Lucas Comedy Blog. My name is Marvellus Lucas and I am a stand-up comedian from San Francisco CA. I am a comedian and I also produce comedy shows. I love to keep the punchline going. I have put this blog together for a place of entertainment and comedian review. On this blog you can comment on the funniest jokes, funny videos, top comedians, youtube comedy, and live stand-up comedy. Marvellus Lucas comedy blog is where you can get your laugh on. On this blog I encourage you to drop one-liners and funny jokes in the post a comment section. However, it’s forbidden to use racial remarks on this comedy site. There will be a lot of top comedians that will stop by Marvellus Lucas Comedy Blog and say some of the funniest jokes and talk about stand-up comedy in San Francisco and the U.S.A. I also encourage comedians to post their up and coming comedy shows on the post a comment section.

On Marvellus Lucas Comedy Blog, I will be teaching you how to create jokes out of anything you might see in life you want to make funny. Following this comedy blog you will have an opportunity to interact with professional comic from all over the world. I will be blogging humors stories because that’s the things comedians do. I will also give tips on how to develop your stand-up comedy quickly. I will touch on topics like what do I talk about on stage, how can I get pass being nervous, how to come up with a joke on any subject and how to come up with dynamite punch lines.

48. I have been using these drugs for around per month as well as a 50 percent following a couple coworkers advisable them. I have two small kids beneath the age of 5 and also have the standard midsection difficulty spot. I’ve experimented with multiple physical exercises to test to shed this but haven’t actually observed success. Due to the fact using these capsules I have pretty much removed the "belly bulge" and have dropped down from size 15 pants to size 10.