Exclusive

Mariska Hargitay Laments Chris Meloni's SVU Exit: 'I Love Him and Will Miss Him Terribly'

Law & Order: SVU‘s Mariska Hargitay is speaking out for the first time about the departure of her longtime partner in crime, Chris Meloni.

“For the past 12 years Chris has been my partner and friend, both on screen and off,” the Emmy winner tells TVLine exclusively. “He inspired me every day with his integrity, his extraordinary talent and his commitment to the truth. I love him deeply and will miss him terribly — I’m so excited to see what he’ll do next.”

Earlier this week, TVLine broke the news that Meloni was turning in his badge after 12 years of playing Detective Stabler. The actor tendered his resignation after marathon contract talks with NBC collapsed suddenly.

A search is now underway for a big-name actor to be paired with Hargitay’s Detective Benson before she steps away from her full-time beat at midseason.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. rachel says:

if the reason elliot leaves it is because he dies it might boost the ratings and stuff

2. T. Mosley says:

I am very sad to hear that my two favorite people on Law and Order (SVU) are leaving. I watched the show since it became. Good luck to the new cast.

3. KESHA says:

REALLY? I AM SO UPSET BY THIS BECAUSE (OLIVIA) AND (ELLIOT)ARE GREAT TOGETHER,THE BEST DETECTIVE TEAM EVER! IT DOESNT MATTER WHO THEY GET TO REPLACE THEM,LAW AND ORDER SVU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. THIS IS A SHOW I COULD WATCH EVERYDAY AND ALL DAY IF I COULD. MARATHONS,RE-RUNS,AND ALL. GOOD TELEVISION IS JUST THAT SO WHEN PEOPLE ARE DOING A GREAT JOB YOU HAVE TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DO! TO THEM I GIVE THEM MY FULL SUPPORT AND BLESSINGS IN ALL THEY DO AS OF NOW AND IN THE YEARS TO COME.MY DAUGHTER AND I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THEM FOR YEARS AND WILL MISS THEM BUNCHES!!!!!!!

4. Cassie says:

I love this show and I dont think ill be able to watch it again without stabler and half Benson> I loved those two and it wont be the same. Ill give the news ones a chance but If I dont like it, Im done:(

5. aj says:

i love all the characters on the show, but speaking as an abuse victim, i have really been able to relate to benson and stabler. without them i don’t think that i can watch the show.

6. John Stewart says:

It is just like the Robot being destroyed in Lost in Space, you just
    cannot replace some characters that help to keep the çharacter in
    Stories !

7. susan says:

The chemistry between Stabler and Benson was great. I will surely miss it, HOWEVER, I think Stabler can be replaced. Jennifer Love Hewitt will be replacing Benson in the second half of the season. Find someone who will work well with her. What about Jeremy Sisto from the original L&O or Anthony Anderson? They are familiar faces. If I remember correctly, Sisto’s character was working on his law degree. Maybe he’ll return to the district attorney’s office? What if Dick Wolf could land Liam Neeson as a replacement for Stabler? Can you imagine the fireworks between Hargitay and Neeson? I am a big L&O fan. As sad as I was to see CI end, I think Dick Wolf handled the last episode brilliantly. I have every confidence that Mr. Wolf will offer the fans of SVU a great season.

8. Carol Wale. says:

We all know, without Chris this show WILL NOT, be the same.
    He was the highlight of this whole show.
    Without Elliot Stabler, it’s not Law and Order SVU.
    Been a viewer from the beggining,and know it will never be the same.
    PLEASSE BRING HIM BACK!!!!

9. msmd says:

I was so looking forward to the new season of SVU but when I saw there was no Christopher Meloni then heard Mariska Hargitay was leaving I was saddened by the loss of my favorite characters. Even Tamara Tunie is no longer a regular cast member and she was great. I wish them all the very best in their new endeavors. Goodbye SVU and Dick Wolf.

10. Stephen Michael Shelton says:

I am a longtime watcher of all the L&O series. The decision not to pay Maloni what he deserves stinks. The show will not be the same. I do not intend to watch anymore episodes. I will find something else to watch. I am dissapointed with NBC and will not watch their network anymore.

Big Mike

11. Rebecca says:

I will miss stabler he was the best with benson I don’t watch the new ones
    Only the old episodes

12. Bro Bill says:

I gave the show 1/2 a season and it just doesn’t have any chemistry anymore. Frankly the producers underestimated what they had, just like 2 1/2 men, which started fast then faded. Special Vic’s didn’t even start fast just faded. They left room for Meloni to come back, hopefully they will save the show and bring him back.

13. Roland Rodney says:

With Chris leaving and limiting the role of Mariska. I have quit watching the show. You made a big mistake not resigning Chris. They were one of the best staring pairs on TV and made
    the show most exciting. The popularity of the show will diminish and if Mariska leaves the show will be over.