Cougar Town Season 3 Scoop: Baby Talk, Title Change (?), and Jules In a Wedding Dress (?!)

If you happen to follow Cougar Town executive producer Bill Lawrence on Twitter, you probably witnessed Friday morning’s lament on the woes of having given the show such a “crappy/lame/cheesy” title — his words, not mine. But what he neglected to add is that regardless of what the ABC sitcom goes by, it’s still one of the funniest shows around. And it sounds like it’s only going to stay that way with its slightly delayed third season.

Here’s what Lawrence has to say about C-Town‘s potential title change, the always hot-button twosome of Laurie/Travis, and — gasp! — “Courteney Cox in a wedding dress”?!

Exclusive: Cougar Town Boss Bill Lawrence Spills All About the Finale’s Surprise Community Guest Star

TVLINE | Now that you’re back at work in the writers room, is there an overarching theme for Season 3?
We’re really concentrating on starting next year being actually about something – specifically something that compliments the fact that this show has nothing to do with an older woman out f—ing young guys. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Wait, it’s not? I’m kidding. Don’t people know that by now? Or is the show’s title still haunting you?
You have no idea how much it hurts me and [executive producer] Kevin [Biegel] to see that title on the screen knowing that we had something to do with it. [Laughs] It’s such a played-out joke and we just feel dumb in retrospect. This is the same as people saying “Keri Russell’s hair killed Felicity” — if this show goes away before it’s time, it was because we were dumb enough to name it Cougar Town. And there’s nothing we can do about it.

TVLINE | So, it’s safe to assume those Easter egg title cards are sticking around?
If Cougar Town stays the show’s title, we plan to mock it until the end of time because we hate it so much. It will ultimately be our Simpsons-like opening gag until, emotionally, it doesn’t hurt our souls so much. [Editor’s Note: Lawrence tweeted this morning, “Screw it. I’m changing [the title]…. Seriously, we just decided. Will use fans to help with new title.]

TVLINE | For those of us who watch and love the show, what’s in store next season? The finale lent itself to a couple of fun new story arcs.
I’m not a big fan of cliffhangers because I don’t think this show lends itself to one. Though, there are a couple balls still left in the air, like the Laurie/Travis thing and whether it will ever be appropriate for those two to be anything more than big sister/little brother. I also still like that Jules and Grayson are in a committed relationship, and that’s what we’ll follow at the beginning of next season.

TVLINE | Are you guys seriously considering knocking up Jules?
I don’t see a baby happening right away, because I personally believe in solidifying your relationship first. But because of what Jules and Grayson said to each other in the finale, I do see their relationship getting much more serious. Pop Courteney Cox in a wedding dress and see how many people watch! A little truth and jest. [Laughs]

Cougar Town‘s Busy Philipps on Travis-Laurie Romance: Bring It On!

TVLINE | Interesting. How about the Laurie/Travis situation? She seemed much more on board with dating Trav by the end of the finale.
If this show lasts five years, that will happen. Otherwise, until I can show Dan Byrd’s character as legally able to drink, there’s a high creepy factor. For whatever reason, there’s a big difference between 28 and 19, as opposed to 21 and 30.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Finales, Interviews, Scoop, Spoilers, Winter TV Preview

1. Charlotte Brunning, England, Essex says:

Sorry that was my mate messing around, but i do LOVE this show, and they are all very pretty :)

2. Mai says:

I agree! I love it, name and all. I don’t even connect “Cougar Town” with cougar-action at all anymore… it just makes me think of one of my favorite shows ever. it is the number one show my sister and i look forward to every week!

3. ND says:

Only have one thing to say…..”PENNY CAN”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love this show.

4. butterfly says:

I miss these guys come back soon.

5. col says:

I love the show.All the characters xompliment eachother.Although it is so funny to watch Haviar play a straight married guy.He is so funny I would have never picked him but so glad you did he is one of my favorite ones.As far as the name,I do like the culdesac crew.But How about Dysfunctionally functional.

6. Sunshine says:

Cougar Town IS Funny! Its light, it’s easy going and really, if you have any sense of humor about day-to-day life, this is a show for you. It takes the normal BS of life and puts an hysterical spin on it, so we can all enjoy a different perspective on our own lives.

7. sunny says:

I love this show!!! I’m chinese, I finish the season 1 and 2 in four days,this show is so great,every one is so cute! I wish I can see the season 3 earlier.

8. Michelle says:

Love this show and glad it’s coming back! Family Jules is cute name! Maybe Jules World? Jules’ Crew? Idk I’m not good at that but whoever asked about playing penny can…. I’m so in! Penny Can!!!!!!

9. DANIELA says:

HOW ABOUT FOR THE NAME THE SACK CREW ISNT THAT WHAT THEY CALL THEMSELFS? OR JUST KEEP THE ORIGINAL NAME BUT WITH THE LITTLE JOKES THEY BUT DURING SEASON2 WAS HILARIOUS

10. Amii says:

PENNY CAN!

11. Wesley says:

I LOVE this show. I believe the name of the should not change. But if it does… How about “Cougar Jules Town” but with the Cougar crossed out and Jules over top in lipstick. Just a thought….

12. natalie says:

I absolutely agree. It is the funniest show ever. But why change the name. ITS COUGAR TOWN. That’s it.

13. Teri says:

BILL – Name idea: Jules Rules

She rules
    Everyone has to follow her rules

14. Michelle says:

Don’t change the name and just put it back on already. It is the highlight of my week and I am missing it way to much!!!! You are disappointing way to many people with the other shows and leaving this one out. It’s the best show I’ve seen in a long time! Hurry and bring it back PLEASE!!!!

15. Kendall says:

I have to be frank… The title of the show is what brought me in. I thought well this should be interesting, something different, let’s see?! Like many others I was hooked from the start. This show isn’t your run of the mill comedy- it is a show that sheds some light on the not so pretty things in life like getting divorced at 40, uncertainties of ones self, and the downsides of relationships. It has given us awesome things like PENNY CAN (seriously, love it), and the truth guns (put into place in our own relationships). This show is not a normal comedy and doesn’t deserve a cookie cutter name. The fact that through season 2 the show was making fun of its own name was really annoying- what this show is about is OWNING IT, right!? Why not be proud and embrace the suck… Just saying.

16. mutuelle optiques says:

Merci de partager autant d’informations. Je dois dire que je ne regrette en rien de m’être abonné à votre weblog. Amicalement,