Idol Finale Feud Rages On: Nigel Says Lee Lied! How Did DeWyze Respond?

TVLine’s team of accountants has just reported in and it’s official: Lee DeWyze has officially made more headlines in the past 36 hours than in the preceding year since he was crowned American Idol, now that series boss Nigel Lythgoe has continued his Twitter feud with the seemingly (?) snubbed singer.

Addressing DeWyze’s claim that he was not asked to appear on-stage at Wednesday’s Season 10 finale until “about two minutes” beforehand — and that is why he declined the invite — Lythgoe on Friday morning tweeted, “True, he wasn’t asked to sing, but Lee knows he was asked to present the trophy [to the new Idol] a week before.”

DeWyze took the high road with his latest response to Lythgoe’s account, stating that he has “no hard feelings towards Nigel, Idol, or anyone else.” Continues the former champ, “I love music, and that’s what I’m going to focus on. I support American Idol and all it has done for me. I respect the decisions made for the Finale, and hope all’s well that ends well”

The Idol boss himself indicates he has said all he wants to on the matter, saying: “I don’t wish to continue the @leedewyze story.”

Lythgoe started the war of tweets the morning after Idol‘s Season 10 capper, saying he was “so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn’t present the winners trophy to Scotty [McCreery].” DeWyze claimed that although he was there in the audience, Lythgoe didn’t ask him to participate in the baton-passing until the last minute.

“I didn’t feel a last-second jump on stage was appropriate,” the singer said. “It was Scotty’s moment.”

Comments (127)

• This is a tough one, boy. Who is credible, Lee or Nigel? No contest: Lee 100%, Nigel 0%.

Comment by Yo – May 27, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did anyone at Idol even have Lee’s Phone number to ask him ahead of time?

Comment by Cardo – May 27, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does Lee even have a phone?

Comment by Joe – May 27, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Of course he wasn’t asked to appear! His record flopped like a fish. Why remind everybody in tv land that their votes meant absolutely nothing and that, more often than not, American Idol doesn’t produce singers? If it were my show I wouldn’t want him on either. BUT I also wouldn’t lie about it. Just say, this is a different season. It’s about the NEW winner, not last year’s. Something like that to at least save DeWyze some face.

Comment by KevyB – May 30, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Let’s be honest here: we all know that if DeWyze was meant to appear, he’d have needed to sign contracts previously (even if only to deal with copyright, image use, and liability). Nigel is clearly blowing smoke.

Comment by Tarc – May 27, 2011 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nigel is always blowing smoke. I do believe that man is obsessed with his image. He will do anything to promote himself. Also, he is not such a good producer either. There were so many artificial moments on idol this year. It seems like he gets last minute ideas all of the time and then proceeds to act on them. Like we’re all a bunch of idiots.

Comment by Cheryl – May 28, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Uh…Cheryl? If you’re *watching* Idol, you ARE a “bunch of idiots.” Has it seriously taken this long to figure out the FOX scam? Hoo-boy.

Comment by Jason – May 31, 2011 07:07 AM PDT
    • Nigel is lying. We ran into him at the Starbucks by the Nokia before the finale. When we asked why Lee wasn’t going to be on the show, he said that it was a new season with new judges and Idol had moved on. When we pointed out that it was tradition for the prior winner to perform on the finale, he said they didn’t have time for Lee.

Comment by Musica1 – May 27, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is true I saw Nigel at the Walmart last weekend, and he said the same thing.

Comment by Craig – May 27, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I saw him at at the White House and was standing right there when President Obama asked him the same thing.

Comment by allie – May 27, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I believe the person who saw him at Starbucks. There is a Starbucks at the Nokia Center in downtown L.A.

Comment by Betty Boopski – May 27, 2011 12:58 PM PDT
    • Nigel is a jerk. I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth. We know Lee. He’s not lying.

Comment by Erinn – May 27, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The same nonsense came out of Nigel’s mouth about the Haley bashing by the judges. He said that the judges see the dress rehearsals so they know if a contestant has a 2nd song that will be a “wow’ moment; therefore, they can be tougher in their critique on the first song knowing the second one will be great…what a bunch of nonsense! Nigel is the ultimate manipulator, spin machine…liar!

Comment by buzz – May 28, 2011 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nigel has douch*bag written all over his face. Really it’s just bad form. He really ruined the tradition, what little there is, of the Idol finale. Winning should mean something, we’re really getting to a point nowadays were ‘everyone gets a trophy’.
      So the winner of the last year should get three minutes to sing a song in the finale, AND also pass the torch to the current winner. I think in early Idol it was just singing, now I guess they have some trophy presentation. Whatever, it’s meaningless now because the streak was broken.
      Whenever you watch an Idol finale, you can say ‘next year they can be treated like garbage so who cares about winning the title’ it’s meaningless. I think it was important to think, at minimum ‘hey this Idol year is going bad, at least they’ll get to sing on the Idol finale in front of a huge audience’.(I thought that way about Ruban and Taylor’)

Comment by JD – May 27, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Along the lines of everyone gets a trophy, I see that James Durbin’s homecoming was shown as if he was the final three, and I read today that he is joining the “final three” at another event. This is just like when Kris won, the show promoted Adam as if was the winner. I’m getting tired of these guys deciding whose a “winner”.

Comment by sandi – May 28, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Team Lee as he has come across as a stand up guy! Nigel, not so much!! Is there any way that this is just a publicity stunt for Lee? Doubtful, I know!

Comment by Karrie – May 27, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No! Lee (and his managers) created this riff so he could get some exposure! he was NOTHING until this little fight broke out. Lee acts like a little diva and all the shows fans support him!

That’s why Lee now won’t comment because HE will be found out if he keeps it up. Nigel upped the ante and scared Lee back into his hole.

Comment by argo – May 27, 2011 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you, Nigel, for your take on this.

Comment by alex – May 28, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I do not believe Nigel for a second.

Comment by aizjanika – May 28, 2011 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was a mis-communication somewhere. It happens. End of story.

Comment by Larry – May 27, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe this was the case. But when will celebrities stop taking to Twitter to air out their beef? Nigel is a grown man, an old man. Why is he even on Twitter anyway?

Comment by D. Marie – May 27, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So what exactly is the age limit to be on twitter? I would really like to know because I dont want to break any laws.

Comment by COOKaineAddict – May 27, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 30 I think … that’s usually the age where you start to be considered over the hill… and when you should be shopping for caskets.

Comment by Mark – May 27, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How old is “old,” please? I’m not sure and you sound like you know. Thanks!

Comment by marie – May 27, 2011 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Between this and the pimping of 15 year olds over talent – I’m 100% with Lee on this one.

Comment by John Berggren – May 27, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. With all the shenanigans that have unfolded over the season and all the promises made and broken, Lee sounds more credible than Nigel. Plus, you would think that if he had been invited to perform, there would be a few more record sales.

Comment by Snsetblaze – May 27, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel Lythgoe has never come across to me as the least bit credible, so in this case, I do not believe him.

Comment by Eddie Z – May 27, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on Team Idol Audience! Other than Pia getting voted out early, and Hayley’s underdog run, this is by far the most interesting thing to come out of Idol’s tenth season! LET’S HOPE IT CONTINUES!

Comment by Rick – May 27, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It just shows far beyond everyone on this season… go check his music out

Comment by Tal – May 27, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am voting for team record sales because this smells like a manufactured riff to get headlines.

Comment by TheReasonsY – May 27, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t these people (and I mean Nigel in this case because he was the first to start [redundant]) just go to Twitter and say something like: “Unfortunately, we couldn’t have Lee onstage due to a scheduling conflict. I’m sure he would have done it if we gave him more notice.”?

Comment by Michael – May 27, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • because that would be the mature thing to do

Comment by Eileen – May 27, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And it wouldn’t be any fun (or piss anyone off)

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And would have been another lie.

Comment by Sue – May 27, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nigel is VERY good at getting American Idol coverage in the press. The show was over days ago, yet Nigel’s still manipulating everyone into talking about it.

Comment by Dina – May 28, 2011 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know when this alleged “trophy” giving started? I have never heard nor seen any mention of this in other years. Is this something Nigel just dreamed up? Seems so tacky….

Comment by gazebo – May 27, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! What he said. I have no recollection of a trophy…when did it start? And why didn’t anyone notice?

Comment by Tuzo – May 27, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They started it last year. They tried to make a “thing” of it, but apparently it failed (as it should) by the number of comments like this I’m seeing, lol.

Comment by Sophie K – May 27, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I thought I saw Scotty hand it to James as he swooped off stage singing. And I’m pretty sure Kris Allen stood awkwardly with it after he won.

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by raye – May 27, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It started after S7, when the first 7 winners were presented with their trophies at the ceremony launching the American Idol Experience at Walt Disney World. The following season, Kris got his onstage, as did Lee the year after.

Comment by Kat – May 27, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The trophy started after season 7 when Walt Disney World opened the Idol Experience. The season 1 thru season 7 winners were all present and presented with a trophy and it was stated then that all winners thereafter would receive that same trophy. It is a microphone and it is apparently very heavy. Kris was the first to receive to receive it on the show, but it was given by a girl, probably from the Idol crew. Lee was not presented with the trophy onstage, but I did read later that he did receive one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRVlUzTwQUg&feature=fvwrel

Comment by Raye – May 27, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel’s people were probably told to contact Lee’s people, and somewhere along the way they either didn’t do it or the message didn’t get passed along or something stupid like that. The internet is undoubtedly going to be buzzing with this story, which is really pointless in the end.

I have to say, Lee wins just because he wasn’t the one who started the discussion in the first place.

Comment by Drew – May 27, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody cares! Can we move on now?

Comment by brandy – May 27, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee DeWyze was in Malaysia on the tail end of an Asian tour last week – Nigel needs to fact check before he starts spewing more lies.

Comment by Lynn Clark – May 27, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Being in Malaysia in no way means he was not able to communicate with Idol. Not saying I am Team Nigel here but they have the internet and phones in Malaysia. If they asked him last week while he was there he would know.

Comment by Kirstin – May 27, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except in an interview while in Malaysia they specifically asked Lee if he knew what he would be doing at the finally & he said no, he had no idea.

Comment by Lynn – May 31, 2011 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is the ultimate manipulator. He has no credibility whatsoever. What would Lee have to gain by lying in this scenario? Not to mention Nigel is the one that started the whole thing with his initial tweet. Now Nigel is trying to drag Lee’s name through the mud to cover up for his own mistake. He should have just let it go. I hope that Lee knows that the majority of people believe him, so no need to give another thought to this douchey asshat!

Comment by Kari G – May 27, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What Lee has to gain is getting his name in the press – and let’s face it, this is the most we have heard about him since the day after he won last year. Sorry, but I’m with Nigel on this one – only because Lee shouldn’t be going to war with anyone associated with Idol – they are WAY bigger than he will ever dream of being and he just needs to post a tweet saying “sorry, Nigel is right – there was a miscommunication” and leave it at that. Anything more than that and Lee is going to come out an even bigger loser than he already is.

Comment by Aunt Sassy – May 27, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lee didn’t “go to war” with Idol. Nigel fired the first shot. Ergo, anything Dewyze may say falls in the category of “self defense.”

Comment by dee – May 27, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just because Idol is bigger doesn’t make them right. Lee is right to not lick their boots.

Comment by Kat – May 27, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, let’s see what getting into a lame “he said/he said” twitter feud with nigel gets him. Sorry, Nigel may be the bad guy here but he is way more powerful than Lee and as such can make his life very difficult if he chooses to go there.

Comment by djm – May 27, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So if Lee hadn’t responded, it would have made Nigel’s lies seem to be the truth. Sorry, but I gotta hand it to the guy for at least defending himself. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since he was more matter-of-fact with his comments, unlike Nigel who just likes to call people names.

Comment by Kat – May 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
      • Lee did not “go to war” with Idol. He has come across as gracious and classy through the whole thing. But gracious and classy doesn’t mean he has to passively accept Nigel’s insults without setting the record straight.

Comment by aunt_deen – May 27, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So Lee should say “Nigel is right” even if Nigel isn’t right, just because Idol is powerful? OMG.

Comment by Carol – May 27, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nigel started it by not having the class to have the previous winner included in the finale. Maybe he didn’t think it was important to do that and have Lee around the Hee Haw twins but it was important to the fans. I would have rather watched Lee then Beyonce twice, Lady GaGa or Jack Black. I would have rather watched Lee than J-Lo’s husband singing and her sashsaying around the stage. Nigel, you haven’t gotten it through your head yet. We want to see the former contestants not all these hasbeens and these people that dominate the music awards all year long. I would have died to see Adam perform. Instead I got bored and went to bed at 9pm

Comment by cathy – May 27, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s a name for people who do that

Comment by NotABrownNoser – May 27, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t remember ever seeing the past winner give the new Idol a “trophy”….I have never even seen any trophy in the entire existence of Idol. Am I missing something?

Comment by Meghan – May 27, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kris was definitely presented with a trophy when he won, I think by Ryan Seacrest. Don’t recall what happened last year.

Comment by daveylow – May 27, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A female presented it to Kris and that was the first year they presented a trophy. I definitely think it was wrong of Idol not to ask Lee back to sing a song. That’s been their ritual. Nigel is a pathological liar. Always has been. Anyone who believes him, please let me know because I have beachfront property in Yuma to sell.

Comment by Kasey J – May 27, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure why I should care about the argument of a vengeful producer versus a bitter reality show has been. I was bored enough watching this season, so why drag up a former dull moment to add to it? Now if all the people voting Team Lee would only purchase his album, that might increase his sales numbers a hundredfold. And maybe even break out of the triple digits.

Comment by Howard – May 27, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There have been people declaring that, because of their outrage, they are planning to buy Lee songs/cds (his fans are suggesting people check out his pre-Idol albums).

I can see it now. Lee’s sales spike upwards because of the controversy and next week Nigel claims credit for giving Lee a bump!

Comment by Teresa – May 27, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel just knows no one cares about Lee Dewyze and that he’s with Taylor Hicks in the cow pasture of people who will never be mentioned again on the show if it can be at all avoided.

I’m surprised he was even invited to the show. Though he could have bought a ticket from a scalper.

Comment by James Durbs – May 27, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee has had more attention from this then he has the past year as an Idol winner….

Comment by Karen – May 27, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. It’s not he was ignored for goodness sake. Yes he wasn’t on stage finale night. But he was invited to perform on a Idol Results show this season. So it’s not like he has been ignored for the last year by the show. He was given a showcase to perform.

Oh definately this has gotten him more headlines than he has had for months!

Comment by Stacey – May 27, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee all the way.. Idol dont care about any winners past or present. I’m team Lee all the way. Wait there’s a trophy? when did that happen? and when did any other ‘Idol’ winner give it to the new winner? huh I smell a lier. *cough* Nigel *Couch*

Comment by Jami – May 27, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering Nigel’s history of playing games, I don’t believe a word he says.

Comment by Norma – May 27, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team LMAO. That is all. *insert popcorn.gif here*

Comment by Jules – May 27, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIGEL LYTHGOE IS A FILTHY LIAR!! They are vindictive greedy uncaring people at 19e and Idol, the whole lot of them. It is highly disrespectful of them not to allot Lee a spot to sing on the finale, and what little respect anyone may have had for them is done. I back Dewyze all the way, and hope Idol and LYING LIAR NIGEL all go straight to hell.

Comment by Chelzee – May 27, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, I see that Lee’s mom is really upset. It’s OK honey – the longer they disrespect Lee the longer he can live in your basement.

Comment by Aunt Sassy – May 27, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He has his own home in LA and you are RUDE. The man is standing up for himself-much like Haley Reinhart had to do on Idol. He is great-saw him live- his performance was great- he interacted and was very personable with fans and this guy is as nice and HONEST as they come- What do you know about him?-apparently nothing. His CD Live It UP is awesome. He wrote all but one somg, sang and played guitar. Buy it and you might see what you aren’t seeing now.A CLASS ACT-ALL the WAY!

Comment by Brenda Russell – May 28, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel started off looking bad and with every successive word from his mouth (or his keyboard) he keeps making himself look worse.

brb, buying a second copy of Lee’s album…

Comment by aunt_deen – May 27, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee who? What…last year’s Idol winner? Wasn’t that Adam Lambert? What do you mean that was 2009, and he didn’t win? Kris who? No, that was David somebody. Oh, 2008 you say. Wasn’t that…

Comment by Bob – May 27, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bob, you sound confused.

Comment by Carol – May 27, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Listen glambot. Why do you have to bring Lambert into every post. This is NOT about Lee nor Kris. But in case your memory is faulty…which it is. WINNERS: Lee and Kris.

So why don’t you suck it up and move on.

Comment by Billy – May 27, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is about Lee, NOT Lambert or Kris. Made a mistake.

Comment by Billy – May 27, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah right, Nigel, of COURSE we believe you. Just like we believe you that the judges were only dumping on Haley’s first songs because they saw her second songs in dress rehearsal. OKAY, WHATEVER YOU SAY.

Comment by ohreli – May 27, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lythgo = Liar!!!! They dissed and snubbed a rightful winner – shows they care nothing about the contestants, just doing what they think makes them money. SHAME, SHAME on him for resorting to these immature games, but him and his big buck teeth can kiss our butts. I hope Dewyze makes them all look like idiots and jerks.

Comment by STFU – May 27, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that you call Nigel out for playing immature games and then say he has buck teeth! Awesomely Hypocritical, keep it up – it makes these comments fun!

Comment by Joey – May 27, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel and IDOL SUCK! He’s lying, he’s lying, he’s lying.

Comment by Anas – May 27, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are we getting a SYTYCD recap today or what?

Comment by Robbyboo – May 27, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel Lythgoe, of all people, should understand the power of the underdog! Nigel is most decidedly NOT the underdog here, and he makes himself look bad by even bringing this issue up. What an idiot!

Comment by Holly – May 27, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we vote them both onto Redemption Island?

Comment by Tahoe Mike – May 27, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t believed any of Nigel’ tweets this season. He has zero credibility with me. It’s his nasty attitude that has convinced me to skip watching SYTYCD this season. Good job, Nigel.

Comment by margie – May 27, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh do reconsider – SYTYCD was a breath of fresh air last night after all this IDOL foolishness. Really – you should check it out!

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on Team Who Cares!

When was the last time an idol winner had more than one album out before being dropped from their record label and being relegated to opening Walmarts in the midwest (I’m from Kansas). Seriously, Idol is nothing more than a pre-teen popularity contest, and it’s relevance ended after Carrie Underwood. Nigel needs to pack it in and go back to that little dancing show of his.

BTW: I don’t remember remember Lee DeWyze, so he must have been SO relevant before this. Publicity seeking on both sides, making something over nothing anyone cares about.

Comment by Mags – May 27, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last time a winner had more than one album would be Cookie. And mine is preordered =)

Comment by Kirstin – May 27, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus Kris is currently working on his second album with Jive. There isn’t a set date for its release, but the plan is to have it out by the end of the year.

Comment by Teresa – May 27, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, if you are on team I don’t care, why bother to comment.

Comment by Raye – May 28, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lee is the least deserving AI winner this side of Taylor Hicks, but he seems like a good kid. Not his fault he was pimped to that victory for reasons that will forever remain a mystery to me. Nigel has a long, glorious history as a manipulative huckster and all around jerk. TEAM LEE!

Comment by LizardLaugh – May 27, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmmm. I voted for Lee to win Season 9 because I loved his voice as well as the music on his prior two albums. So I believe he was deserving of the win – to each his own. I’m very proud to be a Lee fan today.

Nigel is coming from a place of power which makes his tweets seem cruel and vindictive. He’s basically saying: here’s what happens when someone says No to me, so fair warning, people; I squish those who dare cross me.

He considers Lee & his fans beneath him in every way and undeserving of respect. Bad form, Nigel, bad form. Lee, on the other hand, has not shown an ounce of disrespect to anyone.

Comment by Barb – May 27, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That prolly came out a little mean – everyone has their likes and dislikes. Some of my all time favorite musicians aren’t the greatest singers. How would a young Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash do on this show? Probably not much better than Paul or Casey who aren’t strong singers either. My issue with Lee was that in addition to having some signigicant challenges staying in tune (Key of Lee) that were rarely mentioned and never fixed, he looked like he was on the verge of vomiting nearly every time he took the stage.

Lee has a nice gravelly, sexy tone. I actually do enjoy his sound. I have no doubt he sounds great in the studio. He could be a fantastic songwriter and I am totally missing out. Problem is, all I saw/heard was what was on the show. I saw some potential that never panned out (much like Lauren this year). I liked him well enough, was rooting for him to stick around over most of the others (it was slim pickins’ last year) until the over the top pimping began and his very blatant flaws ignored.

I think it was a jerk move on Nigel’s part to not invite the previous year’s winner back to perform at the finale. They were/are pretty crappy to Taylor as well. At least Taylor got there on his own. Nigel did everything in his power to stop that from happeneing. Lee was propped up by the show/Simon and is now being ignored by the show. I realize Nigel wasn’t there last year, for all we know he would have spent the whole season trying to Make Katie Stevens Happen, but those are just his sort of shenanigans. We saw that this year with Lauren and James. Poor James never improved like he would have with some honest critique (he got worse!) and Lauren was a mere shadow of the sassy, spirited girl who auditioned in Nashville.

I really am sympathetic to Lee/his fans. I don’t think the show always gives the most complete picture of a singer/musician, especially considering the stupid themes, limited song lists, etc.. There have been many contestants over the years I felt I would have really loved in a different venue (Paul McDonald and Casey James would be recent examples) had I seen them performing their own material and/or fronting a band.

Comment by LizardLaugh – May 27, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Listen to some of his live performances on youtube. I love his sound and have all 3 cd’s, but to me he sounds so much better live. (although sometimes he gets carried away by his emotions in the music.)

Comment by edisto – May 27, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The trophy thing started a couple years ago…they devided to give all the winners trophies…they presented them to all the previous winners when they opened up the AI experience at Disneyworld I think

Comment by Sam – May 27, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never followed Lee’s career since Idol, however, I’ve got to say that he doesn’t come across as someone who is a master of lying or subterfuge. I don’t think it’s in him. Nigel, on the other hand, hell yeah.

Comment by Elena – May 27, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I don’t wish to continue the @leedewyze story”

Neither do we Nigel. Neither do we.

Comment by allie – May 27, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Look thru @dizzyfeet’s tweets then compare @leedewyze’s. It’s obvious who the good guy is & who is the real moron. #TeamLee

Comment by Claire – May 27, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m also glad this story is over, because anything I would post about it would just get misunderstood anyway.

Comment by Blair – May 27, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People! You are making Too much of this “Feud”…plain
    and simple Lee’s album sales sucked…Nigel & Co. don’t
    like Idols who can’t hold their own out in the REAL WORLD!

Trust me if Carrie didn’t sell millions of records
    it would be Carrie WHO!!!

Comment by Rat's @SS – May 27, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel and Ken are two of the most unprofessional producers there are. The fact that they both bring their garbage to the media and to forums where everyone sees it dumbfounds me to know end. They are all a bunch of Svengalis.

I don’t know who is telling the truth. Lee or Nigel. But I’ve been following Idol since Season 1 and I’ve never found either of them to be on the up and up.

The more they go on the record dissing and snubbing their former Idol winners, simply because those winners are either not whom they originally would have chosen OR because those singers have minds of their own, the more they look like poor excuses of humanity.

At this point, I believe Lee 100%. I’ve never followed Lee nor have I bought any of his songs. But I’m on team Lee beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Comment by Mitzi – May 27, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I need to clarify…because there are no edit buttons. Both Ken and Nigel disgust and dumbfound me to no extend.

And when I say I’ve never found either of them to be on the up and up, I meant Ken and Nigel. NOT Lee.

Comment by Mitzi – May 27, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, thank goodness the entire issue can be judged and resolved so fairly and maturely in this comment section! ; )

Comment by kate – May 27, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is hysterical !! I actually believe that Idol “chose” Lee to win over Crystal because it sure wasn’t relative talent – Crystal wins that game hands down. And I bet part of it was because Idol did not think Crystal would stand for being “handled” by Idol, but Lee would be a puppy dog. Hey Nigel – the puppy dog bit you and peed on your leg – nice chooin’

Comment by spotteddog – May 27, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops – “nice choosin’”

Comment by spotteddog – May 27, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! Just look at their pictures: Nigel with the fake teeth, fake hair, bobbed nose, lifted face. This is a no-brainer. There is nothing about Nigel that is real, including his statements.

Comment by sully101 – May 27, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont remmber any trophy handed to lee dewyze at the finale… nigel is lying , ALSO LEE WAS BUSY PROMOTING AMERICAN IDOL IN ASIA LAST WEKK

Comment by Tal – May 27, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of feel embarrassed asking this but who’s Lee Dewyze?

Comment by JS – May 27, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That “photo” of Nigel looks like it’s about 30 yrs old. He’s a wrinkled old wanker and he’s not fooling anyone with that Senior picture up there.

Nigel is the last person I would believe about anything. He lied his butt off in Slezak’s interview. We are not the morons you think we are Nigel, however, you are difinitely the a$$hole we think you are. Just keep proving us right w/ your silly tweets.

Comment by JamieC – May 27, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Insert the word ‘class’ after Senior in my comment up there.

Comment by JamieC – May 27, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And another thing–Lee is a good guy with an awesome voice. I’m tired of hearing people making light of his Idol win, or saying he didn’t deserve it. Of course, if you like Lady Gaga type crap, Lee probably isn’t your cup of tea. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t appeal to millions of other people who happen to like singer/songwriters or WGWGs, who put their heart & soul into their music.

There. I’m done.

Comment by JamieC – May 27, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All respect to Lee, if he had “millions” of fans, why did he sell just tens of thousands of albums?

Comment by violet – May 28, 2011 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they didn’t have time for Lee to sing – I get that; I’m also VERY sure that wasn’t a decision Nigel made (or made alone). This is not “HIS” show. Lee had already performed once this season. and if he really wanted to participate he would have jumped at the chance when he was invited, whether it was 2 weeks or 2 minutes in advance. No one made any of the past idol winners any promises about “future performances” – and Lee was naive to expect it. Kids his age have such an unrealistic sense of entitlement. And yes, at the end of the day – it really DOES matter that you are able to sing in tune.

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t read anything anywhere to indicate that Lee felt that he deserved a chance to perform. I think the flack is mostly coming from his fans.

Comment by T – May 27, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re not wrong.

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lee never said he expected to be asked!!! He said had he been asked he would have loved to have done it. But to be asked at the last minute would have looked like he was trying to steal Scotty’s limelight!!! Lee has never acted entitled!! He was always humble and gracious! He is a class act!!! Get your facts straight before you shoot off your mouth!!!

Comment by LadyBug979 – May 27, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant to say if he had been asked sooner.

Comment by LadyBug979 – May 27, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hollywood Reporter: Did you schedule a trip back from Asia so you could attend the finale?

DeWyze: My plan always was to go to the finale. As you and a lot of people know, the past winners have come back and performed so I was looking forward to performing.

Comment by Tflank – May 28, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because if he had been asked to do the exact same thing in advance it would have somehow NOT looked like he was trying to steal Scotty’s
        limelight? (“… to be asked at the last minute would have looked like he was trying to steal Scotty’s limelight!!!”)

I am impressed that Lee inspires such passion from his fans. And that they are willing to go to war for him. Credit where credit is due.

Comment by ladyhelix – May 27, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes to jump up there like Nigel was asking him to do after being seen in the audience but not having performed or handed over the keys to their new cars would have made it look like he was up there uninvited or as an after thought on the shows part. Which would have been humiliating for him. I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying he wasn’t invited at all? Neither early or last minute? If so they are both lying. That makes no sense. If he was never invited at all why would Lee say he was invited 2 minutes before the announcement of the winner? Either way it’s a no fault on Lee the way you are seeing it. Therefore Lee is NOT acting “entitled”. Put yourself in his shoes. All but one of the past winners have sang at the finale and that one had scheduling conflicts. It was natural of Lee to think he was going to be invited to sing. What would you have thought? But again he was not the one who said anything publicly. Nigel started that. Lee was only defending himself. Again what would you have done in his shoes? He said he wasn’t upset with anyone. Yes I am a Lee fan but I would have defended any of them in this situation. That was dirty and low of Nigel to start this thing to save his own face. I’m not the only one defending Lee in this. Lots of people on here are saying they are not Lee fan’s but see this his way too. Again I’m very inpressed with Lee’s maturity and saw that about him even during last season. He handled what Nigel is doing to him now with class. Nothing immature in his response to Nigel. Someone on here posted his response to Nigel’s accusation. Look it up. He said nothing bad in his response about anyone. Only that he wasn’t invited until the last minute. And that he wasn’t upset with anyone. And even expressed his gratitude to everyone involved with the show. Where’s the entitlement in that?

Comment by LadyBug979 – May 28, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nigel is a d-bag. Isn’t he dead yet. Crappy way to treat a former winner on all counts, no matter what.

Comment by Goat Girl – May 27, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As if we need another reason to hate Nigel. How does someone so high up in the television industry always manage to come off so unprofessional in every single comment he makes?

Comment by AJ – May 27, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the producers new in advance that Lee wasn’t going to perform because there was no time, THEN WHY THE HECK NOT GIVE THE GUY A CLOSE UP AND A SHOUT OUT FOR ALL OF 20 SECONDS? Oh, maybe cause THEY DIDN’T WANT HIM ON THE SHOW?

Well duh!

They ignored their own Idol, thereby diminishing the value of the title, and diminishing the show itself. If the title is so unimportant that it doesn’t merit a 20 second shout-out, then why make such a big deal of it?

Nigel is a filthy liar. Kiss this, Nigel.

Comment by Buster Cretin – May 27, 2011 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sad that Lee was not given the opportunity to sing himself out. I agree, this diminishes the principle of the show and was totally unfair to Lee. Whether he made a ton of money or not, he was entitled to relinquish his title gracefully. I hate that the show is considering changes and making the shows decisions made by judges. At that point, it will no longer be something I enjoy. Nigel messed up this whole season with allowing Iovine to make decisions for the contestants, and himself to be on the stage watching every move that was made in virtually every episode. I have enjoyed the contestant personalities, and I think they made it fun, not the decision makers. I have always disliked Nigel on SYTYCD and seldom watch because of his God complex, playing judge and jury with peoples lives.

Comment by Raye – May 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post