TVLine Items: Oprah's Boffo Finale Ratings, J.Lo's Idol Future, and Other TV News to Know

Oprah doesn’t do mediocre — and neither do her ratings. The Queen of Daytime took her final bow on Wednesday, raking in her largest at-home audience in 17 years.

The Oprah Winfrey Show‘s series finale posted a 13.3 household rating, the talker’s highest number since a February 1994 installment titled “People Shed Their Disguises.” TVByTheNumbers offers this perspective on the tally: For the week ending May 15, Oprah averaged a 5.4 household rating (and drew 7.35 million viewers). They estimate the total finale audience at 17 to 18 million viewers.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Jennifer Lopez certainly rocked American Idol this season as one of two new mega-judges, but will she return next year? “It’s too early to tell,” the multi-hyphenate told the New York Post Wednesday night after the finale. Rumor has it J.Lo is currently in talks to renew her pact, which would ostensibly reunite her with Steven Tyler and Randy Jackson for Season 11.

• Speaking of Idol judges: Kara DioGuardi, whose Platinum Hit reality series premieres on Bravo May 30, has a new docu-series in development with the cabler. Titled KARA, the “high-energy” show will offer a behind-the-scenes glimpse of DioGuardi’s life in the music and television biz.

• Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under) and Alexandra Breckenridge (Life Unexpected) have joined the cast of Ryan Murphy’s buzzy FX pilot, American Horror Story, as — get this — the same character. Per The Hollywood Reporter, the actresses will play a housekeeper, albeit at different stages in her life, who haunts the residence at the cold, black heart of the drama.

• Remember when Entourage creator Doug Ellin announced plans to get Charlie Sheen on the HBO comedy’s final season? Well, it’s a done deal — meaning he’s done trying to secure a deal for the embattled star. “I never heard back. Looks like it will not be happening,” Ellin tells EW.com.

• Now speaking of Entourage: Beverly D’Angelo will appear on the new NBC sitcom Whitney this fall…and not so much again after that. EW.com reports that NBC decided not to pick up her option to be a series regular on the Whitney Cummings vehicle, though she’ll be remain a guest star in the pilot, playing Whit’s mom.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Hit the comments!

1. sael34 says:

So Charlie Sheen blew off the one person willing to give him a job? Ok then…

2. Kim R says:

I may get flamed here but I think Oprah should have ended it with the second part of the extravaganza. It covered everything…celebrities, musical guests, real life people that had their lives changed for the good by O’s influence & lots of praise of O herself. I found Wednesday show to be really self-indulgent. It was like a sermon or lecture & although she kept saying it was her “love letter” to the viewers I kept hearing the phrase “been there..done that” in my head. I was bored but watched the whole hour because it was her last. Disappointed with a capital D. :)

• Amanda says:

I didn’t really care either way how her last show went. I am glad she finally talked a little more real about God rather than being so ambiguous about it.

She’s had her time and it was time to move on.

• Oprahwho? says:

Here’s what I’m disappointed in: People acting like Oprah is God or something. Talk about idol worship. Even when it’s about someone or something else, it’s always about her. Please. Enough already.

• SonR says:

Oprah is almost worse than Tyra with the talking about herself, maybe worse because Oprah always has to bring up how rich she is. givning away all of her overpriced “favorite things” just makes people want to buy them, and most people can’t afford them. yet it somehow still makes everyone feel all warm and fuzzy about Oprah. can anyone actually point to anything she has done that is really good? besides build a school in South Africa where the teachers abuse the children?

• Carm says:

So Oprah shouldn’t talk about her ‘favorite things’ because it makes people want to buy stuff they can’t afford? People have been wanting to buy and actually buying things they can’t afford for a very long time, way before Oprah came along. Oprah has the Angel Network that collects donations and makes donations to other charities among other things. That is a good thing. And I do not think she is nor do I act like she is God. Life is short. I don’t have to time to dislike people I don’t know, or to worship them.

3. blingedup.susan says:

Well, it just goes to show that everyone gets something different out of things…..I loved Oprah’s final show. There could be no appropriate final guest, or final topic for such a phenomenon as this show.

I loved hearing Oprah’s thoughts and enjoyed hearing everything she had to say.

I’m really going to miss her show. She did a lot of good.

4. Robin says:

Bummed that J. Lo will be back. She was great in auditions but then devolved into head cheerleader with a bone to pick with the pretty blonde with the growly voice. Ugh.

Dare I say I miss Kara? Yes, I said it. And I meant it.

• tvlover44 says:

i feel the same way, and was thinking these past few weeks how I’d actually like to have kara back. i have a hard time imagining that she would’ve let anything get in her way of cheering haley on, once she really started to shine (‘bennie & the jets’ in elton week, in my opinion).

• forrest says:

I really think you’re seeing the producer’s (Nigel’s) influence during the live performance shows. The auditions were the best out on the road and the judges being themselves. Then once the performance shows rolled around, the judges reviews were more scripted and directed and repetitive than ever IMHO.

5. George says:

“Jennifer Lopez certainly rocked American Idol this season”? I’m sorry, Megan Masters, but did you WATCH the same show the rest of us did?

6. JJ says:

Jlo needs to go!! Agree with the other poster, she was good in the audition portion but that was about it. Plus, her self promoting was somewhat tolerable, (debatable) but her husband too?? Next year her whole family will be on AI trying to sell America something. She seemed to care more about herself and her image than actually helping the contestants, even with the contestants that she CLEARLY favored, she couldn’t help. Heck!! She told JACOB that it was fine for him to follow after Chris Brown and Jordin Sparks, thats like telling a little boy ” I believe you when you said you could fly, now go on top of the roof and show your mommy”

• zuncha says:

Jlo is great, as well as her husband MA. What’s the problem with both being there doing what they do very well? The program is better with their work. Do not let prejudice affect good judment. Scotty is also the best choice for an Amarican Idol. May his good example serve to inspire our youngsters to be better persons and use their God given gifts for the best.

• Sarah says:

Agreed! I loved JLo and the dynamic between all three judges all season long! Even if they didn’t necessarily give the best advice throughout…room for improvement next year.

• flower says:

Before you go all high and mighty on us, please learn to spell American and judgement. And it’s also “better people”, not “better persons”. We should definitely use our “God-given brains”. If you are going to preach us, you have to at least do it right.

7. Sam says:

Aaaahh! Frances Conroy was MADE for playing creepy parts! Oh Ryan Murphy, I love you so much and hate you so much at the same time!

8. Summer Bay says:

So many bumpkins watching AI, what a horrible thought.

9. Olivia says:

I won’t be watching AI next season after the abuse J.Lo (who forgot she was once “Jenny from the block”!) and Randy Jackass hurled at Haley and sanctioned by the producers. It matters not how beautiful the outer face is if the inside is ugly, dark, jealous and mean-spirited. Rumours abounded for years on how J.Lo abused hotel maids and help in general. I can now believe it.

Karma will take care of her – may it be sooner than later.

As for Randy – well…anyone with such a limited vocabulary: dawg, hey, man, in for the win, and his borrowed ‘amazing’ from J.Lo, is more to be pitied. Hey, man, dawg, it’s never too late to take crash English and vocab courses. Just sayin’…

10. Jax says:

Seriously, why are people still watching this show?!?

• flower says:

Believe me, I am asking myself the same question. This was the first finale that I did not watch.

• SonR says:

i stopped watching halfway through last season. its so predictable, all you have to do is look at the contestants and see which one appeals the most to lower-middle class christian housewives

11. Suncatcher says:

JLO has to go.

We are all pretty much saying the same thing here: She was great for the auditions and she went downhill from there. At first she did not judge anyone at all – and then she turned into this EVIL entity bent on ruining one of the contestants (Haley). She became predictable – whenever she spoke to a contestant and used the word, “Baby”, you knew she was about to treat them like dirt on the soles of her shoes.

JLO has to go.