Exclusive

Mad Men Exclusive: Jon Hamm Set to Direct the Season 5 Premiere!

Mad Men‘s Jon Hamm just got the kind of promotion that I dare say would impress even Don Draper: The actor will step behind the camera to direct the Emmy winning drama’s fifth season premiere.

“The wheels have officially been set in motion to make that happen,” Hamm tells TVLine. “It’s a very exciting challenge that I’m looking forward to with a mixture of utter fear and excitement.”

The idea to follow in the footsteps of co-star John Slattery and helm an episode of the acclaimed AMC hit has been “in the back of my mind” for a while now,” says Hamm. “It helps to have people you know and trust surrounding you. We’ve been fortunate enough to have very little turnover not only in our cast but in our crew.”

“I watched Slattery do it, and he handled it with such grace and ability and ease,” he continues, before adding with a laugh, “I figured if he can do it, s–t, I can do it too.”

Production on the show’s delayed fifth season is slated to get underway in August, but Hamm says his expanded duties will require him to “go back a little early to start prepping.”

That begs the question: Will Mad Men‘s notoriously close-to-the-vest creator, Matthew Weiner, be cool with Hamm having a copy of the top-secret premiere script that far in advance? “We’ll see,” Hamm chuckles. “Hopefully he’ll give me enough time to properly prep. What’s the worst that can happen?”

You overnight me a copy and I tweet it out piecemeal? I kid, I kid.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Premieres, Scoop

1. Deena says:

STILL enraged that Mad Men won the Emmy over LOST last year. Wish this show would just GO AWAY. It’s nothing but period clothes and relationship problems!

• Chris Shifty says:

Did you work for Lost or ABC? Who cares.

Looking forward to more Mad Men in March! Wish it was January!

• Carolyn says:

I will respect your opinion Deena if you have actually watched a good number of the episodes because I think it is one of the best combos of acting and writing in television history. It’s slow and heavy on character development for some. Not for me. I’ll give you that. I stopped watching Lost years ago before I got a DVR so I won’t say you’re wrong on that account. I do know a lot of people I know that did watch lost thought it wasn’t their best season.

• Garrett says:

“Lost” has now been off the air for 52 weeks. It’s done. It’s over. Time to move on!

• Liz says:

LOST was my favorite show throughout its six years and it will always have a special place in my heart. That said, the truth is that Mad Men is more consistently and tightly written/acted. LOST was far more ambitious but that led to it being a bit messier, especially in the last season. On the other hand, I watch certain episodes of Mad Men and marvel at how necessary or meaningful every single line of dialogue is. Spoiler: Mad Men will probably walk away with tons of awards at the 2011 Emmys as well because The Suitcase is, IMO, technically perfect.

• Maryb889 says:

I thought as far as MAD MEN eps go “The Wheel” would never be surpassed … until “The Suitcase”. I cannot wait to see what sort of perfection Season 5 brings …

• Shujima says:

Lol Lost. At least Mad Men makes sense. Your comment destroyed any credibility the rest of your comment might have had. Lol… Lost.

• Maryb889 says:

@Deena: Still bitter LOST is over and that you still can’t figure out the ending, huh? No reason to hate on MAD MEN, though. Now, I’ve never seen LOST so don’t think I’m hating on it (can’t hate what I don’t know) but if you think MAD MEN is just “period clothes and relationship problems” weeeell … that might be why you can’t figure out LOST either … your mind is just incapable of handling complex and/or intelligent writing. #justsayin’

• BOBOBO says:

I did watch all six seasons of LOST and after that ridiculously sappy ending, LOST deserves to lose Emmy’s it already won.

• roger says:

sounds like someone needs a manhatten, served up with a cherry. get a pair of stones, son. nobody likes a sore loser, or are you just lost?

• maggie says:

Deena, are you quite mad! It is one of the best series – of course
      you need a bit of intelligence but if not, continue with Lost.

• smartman says:

Of course Mad Men
      beat out lost, lost has been the same old crap since season 1.

2. LA says:

@Chris January? *I wish!* I’m hearing March. Le sigh.

3. Jennifer says:

As someone who loves both LOST and Mad Men, I think the correct show won that year. Both shows have very strong writing, acting, and production teams. They should all be very proud of the shows they made.

4. Stehpo says:

I dont really care about the Emmy no more. When they give crap shows like Glee an Emmy, it`s not my kind of reward show.

A show like Glee in the comedy genere that`s just retarded. It`s seems they love Glee just because of retarded Chris Golfer.

• The Deej says:

Who is this Chris Golfer person? Never heard of him. There’s no one by that name on Glee.

• Sam says:

I’m a bit of a Glee hater, but even I know that Chris Colfer is talented. Also, Glee didn’t get an Emmy. Jane Lynch did. There’s a difference.

• Amy says:

You invalidate your point when you resort to calling the show and an actor retarded. Also, you are mistaking the Emmy Awards and the Golden Globes. Modern Family won the Emmy (as it rightfully should have).

5. janette says:

“Retarded Chris Golfer”?
    It sounds like Stehpo has some serious problems with talented people…or is a bully like those “Kurt” on Glee fought against and won the Emmy for.

Can’t wait for M&MM – March & Mad Men!

• Maryb889 says:

Gives a whole new meaning to the term “March Madness”, huh? LOL … “March MAD MENness” !!!!

6. Amy says:

Well, Hamm can do drama, comedy and improv, and we learned at the last Emmys that he can sing, too — I wouldn’t be surprised if he can also direct. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he can juggle, tap-dance and speak Swahili, too.

7. GBeth says:

I don’t care if he can do anything. I just enjoy looking at him!
    Of course, he actually is a remarkable actor, comedian, and will probably do well at directing also. Sad we have to wait so long for MM to return. I am anxiously awaiting the new season. I doubt any of the new shows that are trying to copy MM’s success will last.

• lisaleesa says:

I agree….Hamm is just yummy!!! The fact that he is so talented and has the ability to sing, handle comedic & dramatic roles just makes him the TOTAL PACKAGE.

8. Crittle says:

I need to watch Mad Men right NOW!

9. Alex says:

Is there anything that the wonder that is Jon Hamm can’t do? It’s going to be a long wait for season 5, but hopefully worth it!

10. I Jersey:NBA says:

Speak good
    Very interested

11. Rockey says:

Very good speaking. And I have to watch Mad men right now. What will be the worst thing can happen I can’t imagine. But none can copy this I believe.

12. Meg says:

I miss Mad Men so much. When is S5 airing in 2012?

13. Jaan says:

Lost was just not that good get over it..

14. Rosie says:

It’s nice that Jon Hamm is going to direct. But what is the big deal?

15. Georgios says:

I am very excited that all of the characters made it this far I hope next year the show gets even better for more on it visit http://www.hbomax.tv/hbo-la/mad-men Thanks for the update.

16. Any word on how the cast felt about his directing style? It was a great episode.

17. You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually one
    thing which I feel I would by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely
    vast for me. I am looking ahead for your next put
    up, I’ll try to get the cling of it!

18. or ‘Yo you’re hot, lets hook up’ than a real message. Online Leeds Escorts and dating Service has become a very popular method for meeting and finding a partner for a relationship. Because of the anonymous feel of online dating, expressing feelings and emotions has become much easier.

19. Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude!

Many thanks, However I am having troubles with your RSS.
    I don’t understand why I can’t join it. Is there anybody else having the same RSS
    problems? Anybody who knows the solution will
    you kindly respond? Thanx!!

20. kids magic says:

Currently it seems like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right
    now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

21. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of
    the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type
    on several websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

22. We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look
    forward to looking at your web page repeatedly.

23. Ian says:

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    and wished to say that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

24. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my web site
    thus i came to return the prefer?.I’m trying to in finding issues to enhance my web site!I assume its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!

25. No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, therefore he/she wishes to be available that in detail, thus that
    thing is maintained over here.

26. cheer gyms says:

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I like to write a
    little comment to support you.