Mad Men Exclusive: Jon Hamm Set to Direct the Season 5 Premiere!

Get More: Exclusive, News, Premieres, Scoop

Mad Men‘s Jon Hamm just got the kind of promotion that I dare say would impress even Don Draper: The actor will step behind the camera to direct the Emmy winning drama’s fifth season premiere.

“The wheels have officially been set in motion to make that happen,” Hamm tells TVLine. “It’s a very exciting challenge that I’m looking forward to with a mixture of utter fear and excitement.”

The idea to follow in the footsteps of co-star John Slattery and helm an episode of the acclaimed AMC hit has been “in the back of my mind” for a while now,” says Hamm. “It helps to have people you know and trust surrounding you. We’ve been fortunate enough to have very little turnover not only in our cast but in our crew.”

“I watched Slattery do it, and he handled it with such grace and ability and ease,” he continues, before adding with a laugh, “I figured if he can do it, s–t, I can do it too.”

Production on the show’s delayed fifth season is slated to get underway in August, but Hamm says his expanded duties will require him to “go back a little early to start prepping.”

That begs the question: Will Mad Men‘s notoriously close-to-the-vest creator, Matthew Weiner, be cool with Hamm having a copy of the top-secret premiere script that far in advance? “We’ll see,” Hamm chuckles. “Hopefully he’ll give me enough time to properly prep. What’s the worst that can happen?”

You overnight me a copy and I tweet it out piecemeal? I kid, I kid.

Tags: , ,

Comments (43)

• STILL enraged that Mad Men won the Emmy over LOST last year. Wish this show would just GO AWAY. It’s nothing but period clothes and relationship problems!

Comment by Deena – May 26, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you work for Lost or ABC? Who cares.

Looking forward to more Mad Men in March! Wish it was January!

Comment by Chris Shifty – May 26, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, Chris.

Comment by Mike – May 26, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Deena is my plebian maid – don’t take her seriously.

Comment by Kiko – May 26, 2011 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will respect your opinion Deena if you have actually watched a good number of the episodes because I think it is one of the best combos of acting and writing in television history. It’s slow and heavy on character development for some. Not for me. I’ll give you that. I stopped watching Lost years ago before I got a DVR so I won’t say you’re wrong on that account. I do know a lot of people I know that did watch lost thought it wasn’t their best season.

Comment by Carolyn – May 26, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Lost” has now been off the air for 52 weeks. It’s done. It’s over. Time to move on!

Comment by Garrett – May 26, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOST was my favorite show throughout its six years and it will always have a special place in my heart. That said, the truth is that Mad Men is more consistently and tightly written/acted. LOST was far more ambitious but that led to it being a bit messier, especially in the last season. On the other hand, I watch certain episodes of Mad Men and marvel at how necessary or meaningful every single line of dialogue is. Spoiler: Mad Men will probably walk away with tons of awards at the 2011 Emmys as well because The Suitcase is, IMO, technically perfect.

Comment by Liz – May 27, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought as far as MAD MEN eps go “The Wheel” would never be surpassed … until “The Suitcase”. I cannot wait to see what sort of perfection Season 5 brings …

Comment by Maryb889 – May 27, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol Lost. At least Mad Men makes sense. Your comment destroyed any credibility the rest of your comment might have had. Lol… Lost.

Comment by Shujima – May 27, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Deena: Still bitter LOST is over and that you still can’t figure out the ending, huh? No reason to hate on MAD MEN, though. Now, I’ve never seen LOST so don’t think I’m hating on it (can’t hate what I don’t know) but if you think MAD MEN is just “period clothes and relationship problems” weeeell … that might be why you can’t figure out LOST either … your mind is just incapable of handling complex and/or intelligent writing. #justsayin’

Comment by Maryb889 – May 27, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did watch all six seasons of LOST and after that ridiculously sappy ending, LOST deserves to lose Emmy’s it already won.

Comment by BOBOBO – May 27, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sounds like someone needs a manhatten, served up with a cherry. get a pair of stones, son. nobody likes a sore loser, or are you just lost?

Comment by roger – June 5, 2011 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deena, are you quite mad! It is one of the best series – of course
      you need a bit of intelligence but if not, continue with Lost.

Comment by maggie – August 25, 2011 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Of course Mad Men
      beat out lost, lost has been the same old crap since season 1.

Comment by smartman – December 2, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Chris January? *I wish!* I’m hearing March. Le sigh.

Comment by LA – May 26, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As someone who loves both LOST and Mad Men, I think the correct show won that year. Both shows have very strong writing, acting, and production teams. They should all be very proud of the shows they made.

Comment by Jennifer – May 26, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont really care about the Emmy no more. When they give crap shows like Glee an Emmy, it`s not my kind of reward show.

A show like Glee in the comedy genere that`s just retarded. It`s seems they love Glee just because of retarded Chris Golfer.

Comment by Stehpo – May 26, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is this Chris Golfer person? Never heard of him. There’s no one by that name on Glee.

Comment by The Deej – May 26, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a bit of a Glee hater, but even I know that Chris Colfer is talented. Also, Glee didn’t get an Emmy. Jane Lynch did. There’s a difference.

Comment by Sam – May 26, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You invalidate your point when you resort to calling the show and an actor retarded. Also, you are mistaking the Emmy Awards and the Golden Globes. Modern Family won the Emmy (as it rightfully should have).

Comment by Amy – May 26, 2011 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Retarded Chris Golfer”?
    It sounds like Stehpo has some serious problems with talented people…or is a bully like those “Kurt” on Glee fought against and won the Emmy for.

Can’t wait for M&MM – March & Mad Men!

Comment by janette – May 26, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Gives a whole new meaning to the term “March Madness”, huh? LOL … “March MAD MENness” !!!!

Comment by Maryb889 – May 27, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Hamm can do drama, comedy and improv, and we learned at the last Emmys that he can sing, too — I wouldn’t be surprised if he can also direct. At this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if he can juggle, tap-dance and speak Swahili, too.

Comment by Amy – May 26, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care if he can do anything. I just enjoy looking at him!
    Of course, he actually is a remarkable actor, comedian, and will probably do well at directing also. Sad we have to wait so long for MM to return. I am anxiously awaiting the new season. I doubt any of the new shows that are trying to copy MM’s success will last.

Comment by GBeth – May 26, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree….Hamm is just yummy!!! The fact that he is so talented and has the ability to sing, handle comedic & dramatic roles just makes him the TOTAL PACKAGE.

Comment by lisaleesa – June 5, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need to watch Mad Men right NOW!

Comment by Crittle – May 26, 2011 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there anything that the wonder that is Jon Hamm can’t do? It’s going to be a long wait for season 5, but hopefully worth it!

Comment by Alex – May 26, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speak good
    Very interested

Comment by I Jersey:NBA – May 26, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very good speaking. And I have to watch Mad men right now. What will be the worst thing can happen I can’t imagine. But none can copy this I believe.

Comment by Rockey – May 27, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Mad Men so much. When is S5 airing in 2012?

Comment by Meg – May 27, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lost was just not that good get over it..

Comment by Jaan – May 27, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s nice that Jon Hamm is going to direct. But what is the big deal?

Comment by Rosie – May 31, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very excited that all of the characters made it this far I hope next year the show gets even better for more on it visit http://www.hbomax.tv/hbo-la/mad-men Thanks for the update.

Comment by Georgios – November 30, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any word on how the cast felt about his directing style? It was a great episode.

Comment by Gina Wilhelm Actress – March 25, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually one
    thing which I feel I would by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely
    vast for me. I am looking ahead for your next put
    up, I’ll try to get the cling of it!

Comment by Florist Supplies – June 16, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • or ‘Yo you’re hot, lets hook up’ than a real message. Online Leeds Escorts and dating Service has become a very popular method for meeting and finding a partner for a relationship. Because of the anonymous feel of online dating, expressing feelings and emotions has become much easier.

Comment by online matchmaking services – June 27, 2013 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude!

Many thanks, However I am having troubles with your RSS.
    I don’t understand why I can’t join it. Is there anybody else having the same RSS
    problems? Anybody who knows the solution will
    you kindly respond? Thanx!!

Comment by Engagement Ring Specialists – July 2, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Currently it seems like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform available right
    now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Comment by kids magic – July 4, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of
    the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type
    on several websites for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

Comment by discount exercise equipment – July 13, 2013 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i am following you. Look
    forward to looking at your web page repeatedly.

Comment by ladies gym bags – July 20, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog
    and wished to say that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

Comment by Ian – July 30, 2013 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my web site
    thus i came to return the prefer?.I’m trying to in finding issues to enhance my web site!I assume its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!

Comment by wrought iron fence panels – August 6, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, therefore he/she wishes to be available that in detail, thus that
    thing is maintained over here.

Comment by callaway golf - diablo edge irons 4-sw steel – November 20, 2013 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post