Law & Order: SVU Debate: Who Should Replace Chris Meloni Next Season?

Get More: Casting News, Lists, News, Scoop

I’m not happy that Law & Order: SVU‘s Chris Meloni is retiring his badge after 12 years. Not happy at all. But rather than throw myself a pity party to which you would have all been invited, I’ve decided to channel my negative energy into something positive: finding my girl Mariska Hargitay a new partner before she steps away from the beat full-time at midseason. Here are, for my money, the folks Dick Wolf should be courting:

| Jason Clarke: Since Chicago Code‘s premature cancellation, he’s a free agent. But, if Wolf is smart — and I think we know he is — he’ll transfer the star from the Windy City to the Big Apple ASAP.

| Michael Chiklis: No Ordinary Family didn’t take off, and his CBS pilot, Vince Uncensored, didn’t even get picked up. Maybe these are signs that it’s time for the former Shield lead to go back to the beat?

| Dermot Mulroney: Though the groom from My Best Friend’s Wedding is primarily a movie actor, we know he’s open to doing TV. Remember, last season he was all set to headline NBC’s ill-fated Rockford Files reboot. So, assuming he’s willing and able, SVU should start preparing an offer now.

| Scott Wolf: Not only does V’s cancellation make him available, but, if Jennifer Love Hewitt does end up succeeding Hargitay, we’d get the Party of Five reunion that everybody’s been waiting for! (OK, the PO5 reunion I’ve been waiting for.)

| Charlie Sheen: On the plus side, the former Two and a Half Men lead comes with his own personal library of sex-crime stories. On the down side… um… see also: the plus side.

Comments (300)

• Jeremy Sisto stars on ABC’s Suburgatory, so he won’t be available.

Comment by abc123 – May 25, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From that list, I choose Michael Chiklis although I’d rather see someone like Dylan McDermott come onto the scene!

Comment by Karrie – May 25, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES!! Dylan McDermott is an amazing choice!!

Comment by Deb – May 25, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • BTW , all of those choices are pretty horrible , no need to hire a man or a person that can not act for this show , get someone please that has a solid Dramatic education plus no less then 20+ years of solid experience.

Comment by Joseph – May 25, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So by your own list of qualifications you outlined…some of those people should stay on the “pretty horrible” list as they meet your standards. Winner.

Comment by Reality – May 26, 2011 10:10 AM PDT
    • Jeremy would have been the only acceptable choice but that’s because I am bias to him being one of the best actors around right now and he has L&O experience. I hope his new show does well because I miss seeing him on TV.

Comment by Deena – May 25, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And so? Looks like a piece of junk another UNFUNNY Sitcom

Comment by Vince – May 25, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Idris Elba?

Comment by Leithen – May 25, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Idris!!! Beautiful choice. It would be kinda cool if Lee Tergesen came in.

Comment by kimmie – May 25, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • (Accidentally posted part of this as its own reply to the whole article, rather than a reply here.)

Elba is a great choice, but he’s already doing a police drama called “Luther” for BBC – and that series allows him to showcase character far more than any L&O series would.

Comment by Michael – May 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’s on luther on bbc and got an emmy and golden globe nom.

Comment by bmo – May 25, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the idea of Idris!!!

Comment by Mish – May 25, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they can get Idris Elba, I’m sure he’ll find a way to do both. Might be my wishful thinking. Wasn’t he nominated in the acting mini-series/movie category though?? If so maybe “Luther” isn’t a regular deal and he has the time. I vote hire him and let him have a super hot steamy affair with Olivia that causes her to take a leave of absence from the force. Mariska said she’s only going to be on part of the season so send her out in style!!! And for the love of all things holy…..do not replace her with Jen Love Hewitt!!

Comment by T – May 26, 2011 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tom Welling needs to be back on my screen YESTERDAY! He should be considered and I will definitely tune in!

Comment by Charlie – May 25, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Marsha – May 25, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tom Welling would be excellent! I would so like to watch the show again. I hope he would consider doing a series.

I was hoping that WB would put Tom Welling and Erica Durance on a guest starring role for Hawaii 50, though… the possibilities could really be fun.

Comment by Jules – May 25, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tom Welling would be an excellent choice. He has really grown during his years on Smallville and I would love to see him in something with a bit more meat on it like SVU.

BTW I would have loved to see Elliot and Olivia hook up before they disappeared…. *sigh*

Comment by sommer – May 26, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love to see Tom Welling back on tv so soon but it would be really weird watching him fight crime the normal way.

Comment by Jerome – May 25, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Write in vote: Scott Cohen.

Comment by Kelly – May 25, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was fabulous in L&O: Trial By Jury.

Comment by Blake – May 25, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it too late to add Terry O’Quinn (John Locke from LOST)?

Comment by Rock Golf – May 25, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the show needs to stay away from pretty , my choice would be Zeljko Ivanek, he has a lot of experience and even knows Chris.

Comment by Joseph – May 25, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about bringing back one of the originals…
      Dean Winters.

Good actor, has sex appeal, more mature now, etc.
      And he left in good standing so the story line won’t be
      very disrupted by transferring him back into the squad.

I know he is doing those insurance commercials now, but I’m sure with the right inducement he could be interested.

Comment by Toni – May 26, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES!!!! OMG YES!!!!

Thank you for suggesting this. They’ll never go for it, but Dean Winters would be PERFECT. I always thought he was great on SVU – he had that little brother funny side, but was good-looking, a great actor, and fit with the team. Plus him and Benson had that little somethin-somethin….

Only guy I’d watch frankly. It would be such a nice full-circle too.

Comment by Emma – May 26, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t agree more. Perfect choice! That would really shake things up and reward the long time fans.
        Can’t imagine anyone but Stabler, but Dean Winters is a good second choice.

Comment by Mandy – May 26, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t NBC just use Richard Belzer and Ice-T more, get Stephanie March and/or Diane Neal back on board, proceed with Mariska as planned for the half-season and the let SVU have a dignified finish next spring? Anyone? Bueller?

Comment by Dave – May 25, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by L – May 25, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by Bueller – May 25, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also agree!

Comment by Iris – May 25, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! Thank you! I totally and wholeheartedly agree. I love SVU I think it needs to end gracefully and not be dragged on and on. 13 years is a LONG time to be on TV.

Comment by Sarah – May 25, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MUNCH!

Comment by DJ Rogue – May 25, 2011 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • God he’s my fave. Best line of the series is when Finn and Munch went on a sting undercover and the guy asked Finn who Munch was and Finn says: “He’s my jew.” ROFL….. But seriously.. if the show feels crappy at all I call for an end next spring. Dermot Mulroney would be an interesting choice, and the only one I would even want to watch out of the options.

Comment by Danielle H. – May 25, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I halfway agree: I definitely think they should move Fin and Munch to the foreground, but I don’t think that needs to end the show. They can backfill with a new team of detectives (maybe including TJ from L&O:LA, after he gets cashiered from LAPD for going off chasing his partner’s killers) and just keep on going. Personnel turnover has *always* been a feature, not a bug, in the L&O universe; Benson and Stabler being around as long as they have has been the exception, not the rule.

Comment by Bill Dauphin – May 25, 2011 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Couldn’t agree with you more re: munch and fin, and the personel turnover.

I would love to see some new talent a junior detective role being mentored by munch and fin, but not taking the lead roles.

Comment by Ally – May 25, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Promote Finn to partner with Olivia. That would be amazing!!!

The dynamic with Olivia mourning the loss of Elliot and taking it out on Finn. With Finn working now with Olivia, he peels back the mystique of Olivia the chosen one and sees that she might not be all that and maybe exposes some of the flaws that she has been able to keep hidden in her partnership with Stabler. Jealousy from Munch because Finn is now with Olivia. The Captain’s role would be elevated because he now has to control all of this mess.

Bring in a new partner for Munch… one that we could get to know slowly.. in small drips instead of being to ask to fall in love with Stabler’s replacement from jump. Munch should test drive a few… imagine how much fun it will be to watch Munch mentoring/discarding newbies.

This way, we can meet what could be the next wave of SVU in the backstory, instead of being thrown a replacement for the nearly irreplaceable Stabler.

go this route and it could breathe new life into the show.

Having said all that… if NBC doesnt want to go that route, I nominate John Stamos as Meloni’s replacement. That would be my Plan B.

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I mentioned this in another post, but bringing John Stamos back as a cop after he just guest starred this season as another “disturbing” character would be a little awkward and hard to explain.

Comment by MJ – May 26, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • they recycle guest stars all the time. In fact, Casey was a perp before she landed as the DA.

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 12:19 PM PDT
        • Stabler is definitely not nearly irreplaceable… he is completely irreplaceable. I loved him. I am not happy at all. I guess I have been under a rock for a little bit now. I had no idea until tonight. I am going to miss him so much. I love SVU and it just will not be the same. I am hoping I wake up tomorrow to realize this is all a dream. I do like your idea of bringing in the newbies with Munch. I think if we have to lose Stabler, that would be an acceptable situation. I am so sad… I am going to sleep and hopefully awaken from this nightmare with Stabler still on the show :-(

Comment by Angelia – September 21, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought I read somewhere recently that Ice T is also leaving SVU and will not be around for Season 13. Didn’t he get his own show? I also thought it was with his real life wife and a comedy.

Comment by Suncatcher – May 26, 2011 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! great idea, i love them and they dont get nearly enough screen time!

Comment by lovetorun – May 26, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. There is no one who can possibly replace Chris Meloni. They already have these other actors in established roles so I say keep at it with these two, allow Mariska to exit gracefully and close up shop next spring.

Comment by Kelly – May 26, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Only realistic way I see this show having a dignified ending.

Comment by Emma – May 26, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariska would tower over Bailey but he gets my vote.

Comment by C Dubbs – May 25, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scott Bailey? Not a bad idea, but I can think of better choices (omg Tom Welling/Dylan McDermott!)

Comment by Gah-Kai Leung – October 9, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of the above. Meloni is irreplaceable. They should just bad the show. No Meloni, less Mariska–what’s the point?

Comment by Karen – May 25, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am with you. SVU is now dead to me.

Comment by Deena – May 25, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was sad to hear about Mariska’s plans and now this. This probably means I, too, will stop watching. SVU is the ONLY show I have faithfully watched, not since year one but I think year 3.

Comment by b – May 26, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%. SVU’s goose is cooked without Chris and Mariska. They really should just pack it up and be done with it.

If they really have to go with another season make it 13 episodes and use it to wrap things up gracefully. And what about that dude from The Cape, David Lyons? Bring him in for the final 13 and call it a day.

Comment by Alex – May 25, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another show being destroyed because of NBCU’s greed. It’s a shame.

Comment by Down with NBCU – May 25, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I blame Meloni. No doubt he wanted an insane amount of money to continue with the show. Why should NBCU have to give it to him?

Comment by Steve – May 25, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. Meloni is a great actor and I understand he wants to make a good living, but these are hard economic times and with NBC in fourth place out of the five major networks, it just seems greedy for him to want a pay raise, especially when they granted him and Hargitay upgrades two or three years ago.

Comment by Tom – May 25, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • First, NBC is in 4th place due to their own poor management of the entire 2010/2011 season, starting w/the whole Leno at 10p…and it went downhill from there. 2nd – why is everyone acting like CM doesn’t have the right to ask for MORE $$$? 12 years and he makes less than 500K per episode while Charlie Sheen was making 1M for a 1/2 hour comedy? Just the emotional aspect of SVU certainly has earned Chris more $$$.
          All that said…with all the other changes being made to SVU, I agree with others that the show should just end with dignity. But if they do decide to continue with the show (altho I don’t believe it will do well), I’d like to see one of the detectives from L&O (any past season) return or Jason Clarke from Chicago Code.

Comment by Mikey – May 25, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Charlie was making closer to $11.8 Mil. Ashton’s getting $600,00.

Comment by Anna – May 25, 2011 04:53 PM PDT
          • Typo!!! He made $1.8 per episode.

Comment by Anna – May 25, 2011 06:40 PM PDT
        • The money wasn’t really the issue it was just the excuse he used to finally leave. Chris has been talking about leaving the show for the past 5 years. The only reason he returned was because NBC made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. But that was 5 years ago. Now he’s just tired of doing the show and wants to move on to something else. He asked for an increase that he knew they wouldn’t be able to meet so now he can bow out and blame it on NBC instead of having all the rabid fans get mad at him for quitting.

Comment by Dav – May 26, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Scott Patterson, now that the Event is gone? I’ve always wanted to see Luke Danes as a cop.

Comment by Cari – May 25, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second Scott Patterson! It would have to be someone really spectacular to get me to watch without the Eliot/Olivia dynamic — let’s face it, that continuing relationship is what has set SVU apart from all the other L&Os.

Tom Welling would be fabulous, but I’m betting he’s planning on working behind the camera for a while to give Clark Kent some space before he moves on to another show or movies.

Comment by Laney – May 25, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Excellent suggestion, that would be great.

Comment by Cathy B – May 25, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still stung from TCC’s cancellation so I’m all for Jason Clarke joining SVU. This might sound absurd, but I think NBC should somehow secure the rights to the Wysocki character and have him transfer from Chicago to New York after finding about his brother being a dirty cop.

Comment by Adam – May 25, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would only cause SVU’s costs to rise, because Shawn Ryan and anyone else involved in “The Chicago Code” who could be credited as creators of Wysocki would then earn royalties for every single SVU episode he would appear in under your dream.

Comment by Michael – May 25, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not that absurd, since the Detective Munch character came over from “Homocide: Life on the Street.”

Comment by MikeB – May 25, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But wasn’t that a Dick Wolf show?

Comment by Ace – May 25, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nope, Homicide was Tom Fontana and Barry Levinson.

Comment by CK – May 25, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Two different networks + two different creators = everything Michael said. That’s why I said it was absurd. But hey, fans can dream right?

Comment by Tom – May 25, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA!!! Jason Clarke is awesome and perfect for the role!

Comment by Chel – May 25, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, write in vote #2: Jason Beghe.

Comment by Kelly – May 25, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t he on Prime Suspect?

Comment by Steve – May 25, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not that I am aware of….I am just spitting out names as they come to me!!

Comment by Kelly – May 25, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Stephanie March/Alex Cabot!

Comment by J – May 25, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i totally agree
      use munch and fin more and bring back cabot or novak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by phoebe bryan – May 25, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know The Aus is being silly … Scott Wolf is the kiss of death for any show since “Party of Five.” No one watched “The Chicago Code,” so no one cares about that actor; Michael Chiklis has no sex appeal; Dermot Mulroney is a decent idea; and Charlie Sheen – funny. How about a real actor, with sex appeal, maturity, and experience? DENNIS QUAID … I think casting him on a beloved long-running drama is inspired.

Comment by Danny – May 25, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one watched the Chicago Code? That is rubbish. Jason Clarke would be awesome on this show but I don’t see this show lasting much longer, thus, I want Jason Clarke on a NEW show that has staying power.

Ideally, I would love it if some other network, or perhaps, FX could pick up the Chicago Code. Such an amazing show!

Comment by Jamie – May 25, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jason Clarke is a real actor, he also starred in Brotherhood.

Comment by Anna – May 25, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John Stamos!

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Didn’t he just guest star as a serial impregnator? That would be awkward…

Comment by MJ – May 26, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They recycle their guest stars all the time.

I saw an episode where Diane Neal (Casey) was an SVU perp named Amelia Chased BEFORE she landed the role as DA.

\

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, but John Stamos is a bigger name, and he JUST guest starred. Gotta give enough some time in between to make him be a new character. Don’t get me wrong. I would love to see him on the show, I just think there hasn’t been enough time passed.

Comment by MJ – May 27, 2011 08:32 AM PDT
  • How about nobody? Since there is nothing we can do about Meloni leaving, and ‘Olivia’ is getting promoted, I think Dick Wolf “the show wrecker” should put the focus on Finn and Munch, then bring back either Stephanie March or Diane Lane for the ADA job. Oh, and while he’s at it, he should also bring back the original Law & Order.

Comment by Chatty – May 25, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only way I see myself watching SVU next season is if Jason Clarke or Michael Chiklis is in the lead.

Comment by Clay – May 25, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about @ NBC just get off your arses and give Chris meloni his job back. No one can take his or Mariska’s place. They are the ones u made that show what it is today. Anyone who says different is a knob. Sorry If I offend but it needs to be said. Oh way to kick a man when he’s down, he has been out the door 2 minutes and you’re looking for his replacement already! Tactful much!!!

Comment by Louise – May 25, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA with most of what you said, but they do have to go ahead and replace him immediately if they’re going to — filming on most shows begins in July, and they strung him (and us, the way I figure) along so long that they’re probably getting desperate to get someone cast and working in time.

Comment by Laney – May 25, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NBC strung Him along?? Oh, so you were there in the room as they were negotiation, huh? People need to stop making stupid comments about things they don’t know. Do we even know how much money Chris was asking for? For all you know it could have been some incredible outrageous sum.

Comment by David – May 26, 2011 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You people don’t get it. Chris doesn’t WANT the job. He’s just using the money as an excuse.

Comment by Mandy – May 26, 2011 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leithen: Elba is a great choice (for almost anything, as far as I’m concerned), but he’s already doing a police drama called “Luther” for BBC.

Comment by Michael – May 25, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, but the way BBC series work, they’re self-contained, not ongoing. There’s no guarantee there will be another “series” of that.

Comment by Leithen – May 25, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus, in luther he did mention “munch” to help with a case involving an american criminal. so making a leap over the pond with people he kind of knew would be interesting.

Comment by Mikael – May 26, 2011 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad if Elliot really does not come back, How about Wentworth Miller or Naveen Andrews? They had good chemistry already with Benson

Comment by Kat – May 25, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES to Naveen Andrews! Great suggestion.
      Though I am not sure anything will get me to watch if after 12 season’s Elliot’s exit is off-camera. He needs a proper send off but I have heard no mention of him appearing in 1 or 2 eps to resolve his character.

Comment by Allison – May 25, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure he’ll get a decent sendoff. And Naveen Andrews is a great idea! I love the idea of bringing in an already-established character.

Comment by Ace – May 25, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Naveen… ooooh yummy. Mama like.

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wentworth Miller is an excellent choice! Weren’t they going to try to come up with a way to bring him back? Dominic Purcell would be another good one. I’m missing Prison Break. :-(

Comment by MJ – May 26, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just let her team up with Munch or Ice-T.

Comment by Blake – May 25, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finn and Munch are SUPPORTING CHARACTERS they are not leads. You don’t focus on supporting characters, even Alex and Casey are supporting.

Nobody they need to do whatever it takes to get Chris back. Might as well just cancel the show

Comment by Lynn – May 25, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Finn and Munch are SUPPORTING CHARACTERS they are not leads.”

Where is this written in stone? They’re only supporting characters currently because Benson and Stabler are the leads… but they’re no less experienced as detectives, nor any less interesting as people: Give them the lead stories, and hey, presto, they’re leads!

Comment by Bill Dauphin – May 25, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Ice-T. He’s already there and my favorite detective. How awesome would that be? I felt that they should have traded off more stories with Beson/ Stabler and Fin/ Munch all along anyway. Maybe then Mariska wouldn’t feel the need to step down mid season to part time. If not, and I know this is typecasting, but Detective Scanlon (David Cubitt) from Medium would be a good replacement. Or, maybe they should try something completely different and give Olivia a female partner.

Comment by Jane – May 25, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ick — the only one of those I could even remotely stomach would be Jason Clarke … and that’s because I don’t know who he is. I think they should bump up Ice-T to be Liv’s partner. Or bring back Naveen Andrews who guest starred last season.

Comment by Katie – May 25, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not bring Dean Winters back? He was on SVU in the very early years and I think he’d fit right in. I don’t want to leave as Mayhem though :)

Comment by amy – May 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was also thinking that Dean Winters should be brought back. I loved watching him in the early episodes.

Comment by Reese – May 25, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No wonder in the back of my mind I was thinking Dean Winters. I forgot he was on it at the beginning. He’s too busy causing trouble on insurance commercials now. “I’m a teenage girl…” Love it.

Comment by pffreese – May 25, 2011 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joel Gretsch
    formerly of “V”

Comment by Jon – May 25, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No new partner for Olivia. I don’t think she will get a new one anyway. She’ll prolly get some rookie by her side to train him until she gets that promotion during the second half of the season.
    Elliot is and always has been her partner. That’s how it should end.

and yes I agree with Louise. Why are people already looking for a new partner. We just got the news. Lets mourn his loss first. (in SVU he could pretty much be dead.)

I hope they’ll give his character some good closure and can convince him to atleast come back for 1 or 2 episodes to close his “storyline” with Olivia. I think the show and the characters (and we aswell) deserve that.

Comment by Monique – May 25, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I nominate Matt Lauria, Zach Gilford, Michael B Jordan, Taylor Kitch — pretty much any FNL alumnus — to be the rookie she trains!

Comment by Ace – May 25, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corey Stoll from Law & Order: LA. Say what you will about the writing and the acting, but Stoll’s Det. Jaruszalski is one of the bright spots of the show.

Comment by Tom – May 25, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly !! Yummy !!

Comment by Kathy – May 25, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that my choice too bring on Det. Jaruszalski (Corey Stoll) to SVU He was great in the L.A one

Comment by Pam – May 25, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corey Stoll. As long as he has hair and no mustache.

Comment by Maxwell Haddad – May 25, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marcia Gay Harden, without a doubt is the best person. . .even though her character is FBI.

Comment by January – May 25, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking why not another woman. Who says it has to be a guy? They already have guys on the show. The ADA could be a guy? switch gender roles.

It is almost like a reboot of a show. A chance to try a new story. All those out there who won’t watch… well, see it as a different version of the same show. Not every show gets a chance at metamorphosis. Most just get axed. By the way, I haven’t watched the show in years… maybe I will check it out and see if I connect with new characters.

Comment by Lu – May 25, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love MGH idea … no reason she can’t leave the FBI and come to NYPD …

Comment by maryb889 – May 25, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Chicago Code was fantastic, as was Jason Clarke. I think he is the only acceptable name mentioned. I will probably keep watching after Meloni leaves, at the very least to see who they bring in, but if it isn’t working then I guess no more SVU for me. Chemistry is everything, and Olivia/Elliot had it.

Comment by Mikaylah – May 25, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, what I’d really like to see is Jason Clarke unavailable because he’s Chicago Code ends up back on the aire. (Still angry about that cancellation.) This is a great idea though. Dermot Mulroney and Scott Wolf would also be great choices.

Comment by CAM – May 25, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am all for seeing The Chicago Code get un-cancelled. Love(d) that show.

Comment by the girl – May 25, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Is there a campaign? Someone should start one.

Comment by Jamie – May 25, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I posted this theory elsewhere, but here it is again:

* Hire Jason Dohring (VERONICA MARS, MOONLIGHT) and Parminder Nagra (ER, BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM) as new detectives. But also — and I know this is crazy talk — actually write some storylines for Munch and Cragen! It was a terrible mistake to ever let the show become focused entirely on two characters with the occasional “Oh, there’s Ice-T. Let’s let him ride with one of the leads while the other is filming scenes for the next episode” moment.

* Replace the departing B.D. Wong with Catherine McCormick (Dr. Elizabeth Olivet from the original series, also seen on Criminal Intent). And give her actual material and storylines.

* Hire Daryl “Chill Mitchell” (ED) as a full-time prosecutor, nodding toward the fact that the real-life special victims bureau handles elder abuse and crimes where the disabled are victims. (Mitchell uses a wheelhchair.) And give him actual material and storylines and … wait for it … consecutive appearances.

Comment by Jason Tippitt – May 25, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love the Daryl Mitchell idea. The rest was just blah, blah, blah.

Comment by CandaceTX – May 26, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn it.
    SVU wouldn’t be SVU without Chris.
    He and Gerard Butler are my role models.
    So if anyone should replace him I think Gerry would be good.

Comment by Sahin – May 25, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they should just start right away with Jennifer Love Hewitt. Then when Mariska goes to pt bring someone else in. Maybe Adam Baldwin from Chuck, as he’ll be free then.

Comment by Mike – May 25, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Adam Baldwin is on SVU, I will actually start watching it again. I LOVE HIM. (And maybe we can get Summer Glau, Morena Baccarin, or Gina Torres to replace Mariska instead of the nauseating JLH.)

Comment by Ace – May 25, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone does keep suggesting a man to replace Meloni. How about a female partner? JLH is an OK choice, but there are better actresses out there who would be a better fit. But I agree to bring on a person earlier in the season to make the transition a little more smoother.

Comment by MJ – May 26, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can not vote for any of your choices but Gary Dordan perhaps or say maybe William Fitchner?

Comment by HRU – May 25, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christopher Meloni is irreplaceable.

Comment by Arelys – May 25, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Corey Stoll. He is doing great work on LA, and, his character is the “risky” type of cop to do SVU. He would be an amazing(and CHEAP, NBC!) choice.

Comment by Toby Wan – May 25, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Anybody know how Stoll’s Mexican killers storyline is likely to play out in the remaining eps of L&O:LA? It may be that the character would naturally end up needing a change of venue. OTOH, they may already have killed him off, and we just don’t know it yet.

Comment by Bill Dauphin – May 25, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about wentworth miller, i thought he was really good in his guest starring role in the season 11 premiere and would love to have more about his character

Comment by chris – May 25, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WANT JASON DOHRING JASON DOHRING. JASON DOHRING JASON DOHRING

Comment by yvette – May 25, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh, good choice! I also thought Lee Tergensen would be great, too. Should keep that “Oz” balance, but Jason would work.

Comment by Matt – May 25, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree to this. I’m watching Veronica Mars right now. He would be so good!

Comment by Marie – May 25, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unless The Event finds another home for Season Two – I’d like to see Zeljko Ivanek on SVU. He’s *always* compelling. And a good shot.

Comment by ElsieM – May 25, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zeljko Ivanek is a fantastic actor, but a bit on the mature side to be playing a new detective. I would love to see him on the show though. Perhaps it’s time for Lt. Cragan to move on?

Comment by Toni – May 26, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am distraught that Christopher Meloni is leaving. The show cnnot possibly be as compelling without him and Mariska working together.
    But I do like the idea of Dermot Mulroney being on my TV again – and it would be great to see him in a gritty role.

Comment by Alex – May 25, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Additional write-in vote for Corey Stoll.

Comment by Annie – May 25, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever happened with Adam Beach’s character on SVU? I can’t remember but he might be a good fit with JLH when she joins the show (unless his character died and I just forgot!).

Comment by Allison – May 25, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lake had just been arrested for murder at the end of season 9 (Cold). Bringing him back would be a bit difficult.

Comment by HGFM – May 25, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s right. Thanks, after 12 seasons some of it becomes a blur!

Comment by Allison – May 25, 2011 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Adrian Pasdar up to anything ? He was phenomenal in Profit and already has a relationship with NBC from Heroes.

Comment by Zturk – May 25, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooo! Nice idea! I loved him as the “bad” agent on Castle. I think he would be a great replacement. I also agree regarding Naveen Andrews as well.

Comment by Livia – May 25, 2011 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There needs to be a option on the poll to just END THE SHOW already. CM and MH MAKE the show what it is…I will not be watching next season.

Comment by KoleBigEars – May 25, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first choice would be just to end the show, I watch for chris and mariska. But, I do like the jason clarke suggestion, he would be good on svu.

Comment by Leah – May 25, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dermot Mulroney

Comment by Dina – May 25, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If age isn’t an issue, I’d say William Sadler or William Fichtner would be solid choices. But I have a feeling SVU will want to look a little less aged. There are surely tons of talented actors in NY who could use the exposure and steady paycheck, so why not have an open casting call? But I would love to see Ben Browder on the air in something that isn’t sci-fi specific.

Comment by T McNeil – May 25, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My write in vote: SCOTT BAKULA (or I 2nd the above for Wentworth Miller)

Comment by Megalion – May 25, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SB is already staring in Men of A Certain Age on TNT.

Comment by Sandy – May 25, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, and I love that show and wouldn’t want to see him leave it… but I also recall reading somewhere that they didn’t intend for that project to have a lengthy run, anyway. Dunno if that’s true (and at this point I can’t even remember where I read it), but if it is, maybe Bakula would be available in the not-too-distant future. And while we’re talking about the MoaCA cast, maybe Frank Pembleton (Andre Braugher) could come come visit Munch in some capacity.

Comment by Bill Dauphin – May 25, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also blame CM….he thinks he’s irreplacable so most likely asked for an enormous raise. I too will miss him, but there’s many who can take his place. My two votes would be Idris Elba and Jason Clarke. I absolutley loved Chicago Code and still can’t believe it was cancelled. Jason was top notch as Wysocki and he will definatly be missed. Idris is wonderful as Luther so I doubt he would be interested. Somebody needs to put Jason back in front of the camera soon…

Comment by Kat – May 25, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason the show works so well is because of the two main characters. Stabler and Benson. They have a certain chemistry that takes the show to a different level. I don’t think anyone else can replace Chris Meloni and I don’t think they should try and find a replacement. They should either negotiate his contract with him or cancel the show. As much as I would hate to see the show canceled, I can’t imagine this show without both actors.

Really sad!