Glee Season Finale Recap: New York Times

Glee‘s Season 2 finale was kind of like a New York City sidewalk: Fast-moving and crowded, with equal bursts of excitement, irritation, surprise, and confusion. Absent from the roll call: Sue Sylvester (reportedly recovering from last week’s sudden case of Characterus Reversalus); April Rhodes (on an extended dinner break from rehearsing her Crossrhodes musical); and Dave Karofsky (whose fascinating struggle with sexual orientation will have to wait till September…Unless Fox wants to create some kind of darkly awesome online summer series starring Max Adler?)

If you somehow got on the wrong Subway train and missed the action, please allow me to catch you up — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format: The New Directions kids arrived in New York City for Nationals, not having written, let alone rehearsed, two of their numbers. (Um, and these kids thought they were going to win it all?) Mr. Schue took off to the theater where pal April was mounting the musical Crossrhodes, while the glee club disobeyed orders to stay in the rooms to seek songwriting inspiration in the big city. Finn took Rachel on a “totally professional” work date that included dinner at Sardi’s (and a chance encounter with Patti LuPone) but Rachel rejected Finn’s advances in an effort to stay focused on the competition — and her dreams of stardom. Kurt and Rachel snuck onto Broadway’s Wicked stage off-hours and discussed their Manhattan dreams, while Quinn went momentarily ballistic about losing Finn — until Santana and Brittany got her a magical, healing haircut. The kids found out from Dustin Goolsby that Schue was planning to stay in New York to join Crossrhodes, but their show-choir adviser had already decided to pull the plug on his dreams of the Great White Way and focus on New Directions. (Crisis conveniently averted.) At Nationals, Rachel bumped into a demoralized Sunshine Corazon, and decided to “make something right” by building the self-esteem of her Vocal Adrenaline rival. New Directions then took the stage for its two numbers, Rachel rejected Finn backstage, but then the erstwhile lovebirds threw a massive, suck-all-the-air-from-the-room kiss into their choreography, and New Directions missed a Top 10 placing (and a second day of competition) by just two slots. When the kids returned to Ohio, Blaine dropped the L-word on Kurt (and it got returned!), Rachel and Finn revived their relationship, and Mercedes and Sam engaged in some top-secret handholding. Schue debuted a tiny trophy, even Quinn looked happy, and that’s what you missed on Glee.

Now, before we get on to letter grades for the week’s musical numbers, I’ve got to dish the three best and three worst non-musical moments from “New York.”

1) Quinn misinterpreting Santana’s suggestion that she knew what she could do to improve her mood, and politely beginning her rebuff with, “I’m flattered, Santana, but…”

2) Blaine’s spontaneous, casual “I love you” in response to Kurt’s optimistic attitude about New Directions’ performance at Nationals (and Kurt saying it back!).

3) The increasingly close friendship between Kurt and Rachel: Call me a marshmallow, but watching these outsiders face the world together makes me smile.

1) Mercedes and Sam hiding their relationship from their friends. Why in the name of all that’s holy would they do this? And wouldn’t Mercedes go directly to Kurt without passing go or collecting $200 to share her happy news?

2) The sudden and bizarre reversal of Quinn’s rage and sadness. I mean, I always feel great after a haircut, too, but wasn’t girlfriend planning some nefarious plot last week? This just didn’t hold water for me.

3) Mr. Schue’s strange acceptance and borderline encouragement of a romance between high-school grad/show-choir consultant Jesse and McKinley student Rachel. I know, I knowm, dude would only be a college freshman, and they dated last year, so the age difference isn’t all that skeezy. But he’s in the school’s employ, and I felt a little nauseous when Jesse declared, “I couldn’t stay away!” and Schue responded, “From the show or from her?”

And now, onto this week’s musical performances…

“My Cup,” Brittany and Artie | Nice try, Glee writers, but Rachel already covered the “desperately seeking inspiration” songwriter’s dilemma with “My Headband.” Brittany deserved something better (and certainly funnier). Musical grade: C- Relevance to the plot: C+

“I Love New York”/”New York, New York,” New Directions | Here’s an unexpected mashup that actually put the glee in Glee. From the bold, Skittles-y colors of the girls’ jackets to the ebullient vocal delivery to the beautifully filmed location shots, this was a feast for the eyes that made sense in terms of plot development, too. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A

“Still Got Tonight,” Mr. Schue | I can’t recall seeing Matthew Morrison light up this effervescently on a musical number in many moons. Maybe he was just dreaming of the residuals from so many iTunes downloads, but whatever the inspiration, it was a nice moment for a character who’s been working my last nerve all season. You could feel the fire burning inside his small-town teacher as he took the big Broadway stage and belted a number that was, coincidentally, cowritten by American Idol’s season 8 champ Kris Allen. Things got a little too Auto-Tune-y in a couple spots, but I’m not mad at it. Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B+

“Bella Notte,” Artie, Puck, Mike, and Sam | I know this song inherently comes with a light sprinkling of parmesan, but it seems like the show has been a little too reliant on having the New Directions guys provide musical accompaniment as one of their own tries to make his move. I’d have preferred they left this one to Lady and the Tramp. Musical grade: C+ Relevance to the plot: B-

“For Good,” Rachel and Kurt | Two out of the last three weeks, Glee has had some parallels to old Ugly Betty plots: Gay kid voted prom queen; major characters engage in hijinks on/near Wicked‘s Broadway stage. That aside, I loved seeing further development of Kurt and Rachel’s friendship, and the bond they share as artsy outsiders hoping their paths will someday take them to Manhattan (or more likely, one of its outer boroughs). Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A

“As Long as You’re There,” Sunshine Corazon | Admittedly, I spent the first 30 seconds of this performance oohing and ahhing over Sunshine’s turquoise sequined shoulder straps and belt. No doubt, Charice has outrageous pipes, and she sold this half-baked power ballad like it was next generation “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.” Plotwise, though, this seemed less about the development of Sunshine and more about completing the resuscitation of Rachel Berry from her early-season awfulness. Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B

“Pretending,” Rachel and Finn | I’m not the biggest fan of Rachel burying her self-esteem in a self-dug hole and reuniting with Finn, but their angsty duet was pretty intense, and THAT KISS — and its accompanying silence — had me gasping with surprise and delight. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A

“Light Up the World,” New Directions | I liked this original ditty, but there was just a nagging sense of having seen it all before: The flowing black dresses, the walk-walk-turn choreography, the various members of the club hitting their various big notes with eerie precision. I’d have thought for Nationals, the kids would close with something out of left field, but then again, they needed to have room for improvement if they’re going to go from twelfth to wealth at the end of Season 3, right? Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B+

What did you think of the Glee finale? Which story arcs were you loving? Which ones did you have problems with? Sound off in the comments, and for all my TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. JayK* says:

The second half of season 2 has been such a mixed bag . For every “Original Song,” “Born This Way,” and “Prom Queen,” there’s a “Night of Neglect,” “Rumors,” or “Funeral.”  For me, “New York” fell more into the latter category. Thoughts:

— I think New Directions’ performance at nationals, especially the second number, was a bit of a mess – on purpose. There’s no way those performances were Top 10 in the country, so I’m glad they didn’t win. Maybe next year they’ll start preparing more than, oh, a couple hours in advance. (I know it’s tv, but come on.)

—- Sick of Quinn’s whispery-voiced angst. Sweet haircut though.

— Really happy about Finn and Rachel. They really do go together. I loved how it went silent during their kiss, but didn’t buy the audience non-reaction.

—  Not sure I’m down with Sam and Mercedes being together. Seems a little too easy – Gee, who haven’t we paired up yet?

—  My favourite part was honestly the I love yous. (To everyone saying Kurt hesitated or didn’t mean it – nuh-uh! He was taken by surprise, and to me his response said “I can’t believe you’re actually saying this to me, and of course I love you, too!”) Can’t wait for more Darren Kriss next season!

• Jessica says:

I totally agree with you about the I love yous. I don’t think Kurt was hesitating because he didn’t mean it, I think he was just so totally shocked that it took him a few seconds to recuperate.

• Deb says:

You hit the nail on the head. Totally agree, although I’m tired of Finn and Rachel and definitely need more Kurt & Blaine. They have a great relationship and Darren Criss just lights up the screen. BTW, my 11 y/o daughter called the Sam/Mercedes relationship at the beginning of the prom episode.

2. Mike says:

An ok epsiode, nowhere near great and certainly not finale worthy. The writing is still horrible. It started early in the episode when Rachel, who dreams of being on Broadway and knows everything about it, didn’t know a)that Cats ended it’s Broadway run a decade ago and b) Cats is no longer the longest-running show on Broadway, having been taken over by The Phantom of the Opera. That just doesn’t make any sense. They made her look completely stupid for a “he swiped his credit card in his but crack” joke. Lame.

• Jessica says:

I completely agree. It was so incredibly out of character for Rachel and just utterly confusing. Not to mention that Quinn of all people was the one who corrects her.

• Joseph says:

The Rachel / Finn , really does not work , I think they were trying for Streisand , but it came all off as Lady and the Tramp.
        But as for Breakfast at Tiffany that did work as did the part at Wicked.

• Jim says:

And Kurt saying “we’re extras”?! C’mon, he knows better – maybe “we’re understudies,” or “we’re in the chorus,” but “extras” is a Hollywood term.

• Sol says:

Horrible episode. Not good at all.

• Courtney says:

It was a great moment, which ended in a slight “oh, Kurt, honey” when he said “Kurt Hummel has had a pretty good year.” Yes, you have sweetie, but your guy just told you he loved you, couldn’t you just say WE had a pretty good year? I suppose it fits his character (as did Blaine’s selfless left-field admission).

They ended the year on a high note; I am thrilled. This beats the pants of season 1 – it finally feels like the characters are getting somewhere and growing, something completely absent a year ago.

The Cats thing was silly, but Rachel was so caught up in the New York of it all, I am inclined to forgive the writers. After the way the season was wrapped up, I am inclined to forgive a lot of previous nuttiness.

3. Emily says:

First of all, they all went to NYC with absolutely NO songs written and rehearsed? I’m sorry, but come on. I can usually take whatever this show gives me, citing artistic license, but that was just too much. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. The music was boring, Quinn was boring, Sam/Mercedes is only for shock value, and the fact that NO ONE clapped after that kiss during their first song is RIDICULOUS. You’re telling me not one other person in the audience besides Mr. Schue thought it appropriate to at least clap for the kids? This was SO disappointing for me, and I’m glad I can take the summer to not see this show. I used to love it, but now it’s just a jumbled mess.

• LeeLee says:

I agree with what you said, but I can add a few more! Rachel not knowing Cats was off Broadway? Give me a break. Only having Blaine in the episode at the very end? Very stupid. I think it was a really boring and sad episode to end with….

• CM says:

That Rachel and the Cats’ tickets scene should have been a Brittany scene. Rachel nows EVERYTHING about Broadway, of course she would know Cats was not on right now. That scene was stupid!

• @LeeLee says:

Ummm, how could they have had Blaine in any other part of the episode unless they rewrote the entire thing as Kurt telling Blaine about the whole thing (which meant that we wouldn’t have seen anything but Kurt).
        I thought leaving Blaine until the kids got back to Scranton was good (and the audition for ‘six flags’ part was a riot).

• mark says:

Is there even a Six Flags in Ohio? Or is that more sloppy writing?

• Bob says:

No there isn’t a Six Flags in Ohio. There is a massive amusement park in Ohio called Cedar Point, which I think they mentioned in season one. The writers couldn’t have googled Six Flags locations, geez–took two seconds.

• Sarah says:

There was a Six Flags in Ohio. It transferred back and forth between ownership and was sometimes called Geauga Lake. The whole park shut down a few years ago.

• Donald says:

There IS a Six Flags in Ohio. It’s Wildwater Kingdom.

• Rinka says:

4. Adrienne says:

I thought the episode on the whole was kind of blah for a season finale.

But I was pretty entertained by that girl group at Nationals doing Usher and Lil Jon’s “Yeah!” That was pretty awesome, as I couldn’t see New Directions killing it like those girls did.

• Reena says:

I totally agree with you after seeing those girls and their moves and then vocal adrenaline performance i knew there was no chance they were going to place (well that and the fact the the show was almost over after the 1st day of competition!) anyways i didn’t like the episode as a whole but I did like the pairing of sam and mercedes i did see it coming but glad that its kind of official now… having the summer off from the show will be nice hopefully season 3 will remind me of why i fell in love with this show in the first place.

5. bto says:

that summer series with Max Adler is an awesome idea!

• Sushi says:

AGREED!! Max Adler owns. The finale was so awful but I’m buying season 2 just because Karofsky was the only well thought out character this entire season.

6. J says:

No more Wicked on Glee please.

• makaay says:

• Gina says:

• lolo says:

HAHAHA, what got in your cereal? wicked is amazing, and they have only ever done two songs, more than a year a part each. really now, come on…

• KevyB says:

The songs in Wicked are AWFUL! There are only two good songs, one they sang a year ago, the other is Popular. That one they sang last night is NOT one of them.

• nixxy311 says:

The fact that you do not even know the name of the “one they sang a year ago” shows you don’t know any of the music from Wicked. And I’d have to say that For Good is one of the best songs on the Wicked soundtrack. It makes me sad that people try to judge it when they only know two of the songs. If you had seen the musical you would realize why all of the songs are good.

Personally, I’d love to see Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel perform together on Glee at some point – though their characters have not interacted on the show before.

• Mica says:

Please, the Wicked song was the only one worth listening on this horrible finale.

• Donald says:

No way! The New York, New York mashup was amazing! But the Wicked song was my favorite. How can people say no more Wicked on Glee?? It is considered one of the greatest musicals of all time!

7. slo says:

Didn’t Quinn basically say she was plotting something in NYC? Was that thread just basically dropped? And yeah, completely unrealistic to go to Nationals with zero rehearsals, esp. after Jesse spent the last two eps. talking about how Vocal Adrenaline was doing x,y, and z.

8. Amy says:

I feel like I can forgive the inconsistancies (hey this is Glee) if the rest is good and for me the good – the Superman kiss, Finchel back together, the I Love You’s, Mercedes and Sam, Santana’s rage, Kurt and Rachel’s breakfast at Tiffany’s and Wicked duet (favorite moment!!) – outweighed the bad – Quinn and her haircut, Mr. Schue’s non-Broadway moments, and Jesse. Hopefully Season 3 will come back to more consistancy and less heavy-handed preaching like Season 1.

• ugh says:

Please just let season 3 not have Jesse in it. He’s a moronic twirp.
      I think Quinn did have something planned, but something made her snap instead.

• Mica says:

Oh, please, don’t bring Jesse back…he’s too good to this show (as this horrible finale proved. Why are they killing Glee!? It used to be so good).

9. Angie says:

This season was the definition of SOPHOMORE SLUMP.

• Mike says:

Ratings disagree

• Kelly says:

I agree with Angie! Just because people are watching it doesn’t make it good.

• Michael says:

Please don’ tell me you’re confusing commercial success with artistic merit.

• Donald says:

I think it had its ups and downs. I like Rumors, this episode (mostly), the season opener, and the Valentine episode. However, there’s always episodes like Funeral (which still had its moments), the stupid Night of Neglect, Sexy, and Blame it on the Alcohol.

10. Logan says:

This whole season, including this finale, was a step down from last year. I found it to be another boring hour after another boring hour of AI. What a letdown and the songs were not even that great. Too generic pop for me. ZzzzzzzZzz…

• flower says:

That is what I was thinking. It wasn’t as good as last year’s finale. Last year, Quinn was giving birth simultaneously as Vocal Adrenaline sang Bohemian Raphsody! The switching back and forth was amazing to watch.

11. Mike says:

Great finale to a great season

12. Michele says:

Once again Glee tries to pack 10 pounds of story in a 5 pound bag.

If Fox had not done the AI switch and allowed Glee this to be the two hour episode I might not have gotten WHIPLASH! Don’t get me wrong a longer “born this way” episode was well worth it but Nationals should have been two hours so I knew the plots. Quinn’s story was especially trimmed (which has been a trend with her this season) and made her look increasingly bipolar. So unless that’s the plan in season 3 – Glee needs to think less about Itunes downloads and more about plot points.

Thumbs up for Santana/Brittany door staying open with the nice end of episode wrap up at their lockers but it might have played better had the two gals not been ‘super pals’ again while hanging in NYC.

And stop trying to write lines that sound funny in the writers room but make no sense coming out of the characters mouths. Rachel not knowing Cats is closed – REALLY?!!?!!

Oh Glee – just a little continuity I beg you.

13. Cathy says:

I’m sorry…but I STILL can’t get past the fact that there were NO CHAPERONES!! I mean, SERIOUSLY??? They’re high school students, not college students, there should have been AT LEAST two other adults there for that size group. And then Mr. S wasn’t even THERE most of the time! It annoyed me and I couldn’t get past it. Plus…this episode was not that great. Very disappointing. Makes me wonder if I’ll watch next season.

• Jim says:

Amen to the chaperones problem, sister!

• Jim says:

Oh, and there’s no way the hotel would agree to let that many kids stay in each room. Fire codes and all…

• Volcfom says:

When I traveled to NYC with the whole drama club (about 40+ people), there were only two adults with us – the director and musical director. They weren’t with us except to meet for the shows we watched. I don’t think that was the biggest issue with this episode by a mile.

• Donald says:

I agree with this above comment. I went from SoCal to Ashland with a group about that size to see the Shakespeare Festival, and we only had two adults, and I hardly saw them the whole trip except for the plays. It’s very realistic in today’s high schools.

14. mawhi says:

“Mercedes and Sam hiding their relationship from their friends. Why in the name of all that’s holy would they do this?”

Probably because they’ve seen/experienced what happens to Glee club relationships and they don’t want the others to eff up what they’ve got!

15. Jen says:

I can’t blame Mercedes and Sam for keeping it on the DL – everyone else swaps relationships like crazy, and frankly, why not try and see what they have together outside that wonderfully incestuous family that is New Directions?

16. Eric says:

Watch out “Glee-cap” review of the season finale of Glee!

17. Jessica says:

I loved the Kurt/Rachel scenes. Especially how excited he was to wake her up so they could have breakfast at Tiffany’s. That was adorable. I wonder if Quinn’s threat of doing something crazy at Nationals was just that, a threat. Why didn’t anyone on the team comment on her new sassy haircut? Also, when Santana yelles Cosas Malas at the end of her Spanish rant I nearly died. That was one of the funniest things all season.

18. davey says:

I would have made more sense if Schue were actually offered a part on Broadway. Why wasn’t Kristin Chenoweth around?

19. mac says:

So how long are these kids going ot be in High School? Quinn was captain of the Cheerios as a Sophomore? Ditto Finn Quarterback of the football team? I don’t think Sue would have a sophomaore captiain of her nationally recognized team. I am just saying.

20. Patsy Crest says:

Best line: “Bring him along – he’s big and he can move things”. Worst line: “I love you too”. Really? That’s the best you can do? After all the weeping and wailing we’ve done for you and then you get blessed with Candy from Heaven and all you can say is a lame “I love you too”? Damn I wanted to slap you silly.

21. Suze says:

Disappointing finale – really stretched the credibility thing. Hoping for more Figgins and Bieste next season. And NO Gwyneth.

• sharlene says:

I agree….no more Gwenyth Paltrow!

• shelley says:

I second and third and fourth that. Paltrow totally was misused and too abundantly for the show. It’s about the Glee club and the kids not just her and her plot with the small amount of camera time to the kids. Blah!! A waste of their enormous talents. The kids that is. The show was focused to shine on Paltrow and her so called sining talent. Cough!

22. Joe says:

All of you complainers will be the same people bellyaching when after the end next season more than 1/2 the cast leaves/graduates and the new cast members are introduced.
    The episode wasn’t great, but it had some very nice moments.
    I think the Rachel/Kurt sequence ending up with them singing For Good on the Wicked stage is a sign of what’s to come post graduation. I’m sensing a spin off where Kurt and Rachel (and probably Blaine) all head to NYC for a new series about performing arts schools/trying to make it on Broadway. If Fox programmed Glee and the Rachel/Kurt spin off after it, it’d be a ratings monster in my opinion. You also could do cross over episodes and let the graduating cast pop up here and there for ratings stunts.
    I thought it was a good season, not great, but definitely good and it entertained me. If you get a couple of laughs and two good songs an episode I call it a win since regular TV and the reality crap pale in comparison to what we’re seeing here.
    It’s got to be difficult to write a long form musical, but I think the Glee folks are doing a fine job.

23. Kristin says:

I was really disappointed with last night’s episode, but that is actually par for the course this season. The writing hasn’t been as good (characters are acting totally out of character…no pun intended), and they seem to be throwing songs in to boost iTunes downloads. All of this is to say that I think “Glee” and I broke up last night, but I promise I’m not going to be all Quinn about it.

24. Kate says:

I was very disappointed in this season’s finale. I didn’t like the original songs, thought Quinn’s freak out was as pathetic and pointless as the idea of resolving her issues with a new haircut, didn’t understand Rachel not simply telling Finn why she was saying no to his first attempt to kiss her (it was the first time in two seasons that Rachel didn’t tell Finn exactly what she was feeling, when she was feeling it), didn’t understand the audience’s complete lack of reaction to the onstage kiss – in real life they’d have cheered. Also, the whole Finn/Rachel duet is our best shot at winning? New Directions has won when Rachel sings solos! “Don’t Let it Rain on my Parade” and “Get it Right” were the winning numbers and yet they go to Nationals and Rachel sings one duet and is buried in the chorus on the second song. Plus, they were still writing songs when they went to NY so they no rehearsal time. How realistic is that? For a show choir who wants to win so badly they approach practice like a bunch of amateurs who don’t care. Also, it’s been two seasons, when are the kids going to step it up in terms of choreography? The finale was a lot of hype and a big letdown to a subpar season. Next year will be the last one for Lea, Cory, Diana, Mark and maybe some others…if RM doesn’t get his act together and give us a return to season one then it may be the last season for Glee as well. I hope they at least end it by sending Finn and Rachel off to NYC together!

25. Jonathan says:

I actually really liked this episode; it would have been nice for this to be a two-hour finale without the Idol lead-in, but the ratings seemed to benefit from it, so it’s hard to argue with that. Quinn had a very nice scene in the hotel room with Santana and Brittany, but I wish that there had been more done with her after that. The songs were all good, and Rachel and Kurt have too much chemistry for them to be lost once graduation happens. So far, this season has been rather good for me except the Regionals episode and Night of Neglect. Here’s hoping next season is as strong as season one, though.

26. mardie says:

Best moment: Kurt and Blaine in the coffee shop. Hands down. These two have always been careful about public displays of affection so I feel that Blaine’s earnest and soft declaration of love was appropriate. And Kurt had a huge mouthful of coffee that he was trying not to choke on or spit out when Blaine’s “I love you” caught him by surprise. So naturally it took him a second to reply. And while I would have loved a kiss here, it doesn’t fit their character’s behavior of avoiding PDA’s. So I will just assume that that happened after they left the coffee shop. Kurt and Rachel’s scenes and duet at the Gershwin theater of “For Good” was the best song on the show last night. The stuff with Quinn has gotten old. I predicted the Sam/Mercedes thing awhile back. Most importantly, Blaine needs to come to McKinley first episode of season 3. This is the one relationship on the show that feels organic and Darren has so much on-screen chemistry with Chris. A future spin off after next season seems likely since most of them will be seniors (since they all went to the junior prom) I could see Kurt/Blaine Finn/Rachel and maybe Mercedes taking on the Big Apple…or for ease in filming; Los Angeles, for their college/career advancement. I find it very odd that no parents ever come to any performances. And no chaperones in NY??? Makes no sense at all to me. I hope we see more of Burt/Carole, and perhaps Rachel’s gay dads, etc next season. Would not be opposed to an occasional Warblers appearance. I would think they are sort of friendly rivals now. At least we have Glea Live and the 3D movie and The Glee Project to get us through the summer drought. Looking forward to season 3.

• patsy crest says:

Ok – I agree with your sane approach here. I just wished Kurt could have gotten more warm and fuzzy and said something like “well I’ve loved you since the first minute I met you”. Or how about: “I can’t believe my good fortune and I sooo love you too”. Or there’s the ever popular: pause – beat – dewy eyes – “thank you. I have wanted to say I love you for so long. I love you”. I mean – it was a moment begging for some chemistry. I agree a kiss would have been inappropriate. And probably dangerous. But so much can be said with eyes and smiles and a few breathless words. Damn I still want to slap him silly. Blaine deserves a little sugar.

• Rachel says:

aw, the poor kid probably couldn’t think straight. Blaine’s given him so much since they met–a friend, a first kiss, and now an “I love you”! It’s almost too much for ME to comprehend, I can’t imagine Kurt wasn’t dizzy/giddy, let alone thinking straight enough to come up with something “worthy of the moment”.

• Michelle says:

I totally get the being caught off guard thing. My boyfriend told me in a similar way and it floored me. I was totally not expecting him to tell me when he did and when it happened, I think I was silent for a few seconds before I said it back.

27. Sean says:

I loved the Unholy trinity scene. Finally, we get to see that friendship again. Plus, that conversation was more about being jealous of other girls finding love. Though, it was interesting that she could not say Puck’s name after talking about Zizes.

28. Mike says:

Best line was Will calling Jesse on his BS

29. Dom says:

One thing nagged at me while during the episode…isn’t a huge plot point how the kids and school have no money and are always trying to raise money to pay for trips and whatnot. I mean, they even had an entire episode (that unfortunately did happen) devoted to fundraising and here is Finn taking Lea to Sardi’s, one of the most expensive restaurants in Times Square. That bothered me a little for some reason. To me, there seems to be these mild inconsistencies in every episode that just seem to gather up more and more as the season progressed, including the finale.
    Also, what happened with Quinn?? I was so looking forward to seeing something big happen with her character (what was being hinted at last week) and wanted the finale to be a huge turning point for her, for this to be her moment to shine and take a huge step forward. What happened? A sixty second scene in a hotel room that showed spots of awesomeness, than a haircut we don’t even see, and everything is dropped and nothing is mentioned about her again. I was disappointed over that.

• Patsy Crest says:

Me too also. Inconsistencies we constantly have to overlook. The designer clothes get me. Those girls do not have that kind of money, come on. And they are always sewing up these performance costumes that would be impossible. Impossible in high school theater. But I loved Kurt asking Rachel to breakfast at Tiffany’s and I’m thinking – oh right on whose dime? and then they’re outside on the sidewalk with bagels and coffee. That was adorable. I don’t know – sometimes I get really annoyed with the suspension of disbelief that is required to enjoy this series but — but — it is musical theater. And that is what is required in ALL musical theater. The acceptance of magical impossible things.

30. maru says:

i love some moments of this episode but the great moment was the look of blaine to kurt in the coffe shop…that eyes and that voice telling I love you…if i was kurt i was probably felt down on the chair. I love so mucho Darren Criss i hope to see him more next season…he and kurt has even more interesting than rachel and finn
    – And Santana talking those words en español- jajajajajajajajaja worth all the season jajajajaja

• Patsy Crest says:

Please translate what she said – no habla espanol. I am dying to know. I love Santana.

• maru says:

she scream (jaja):
        -escucha, soy de Lima Heights Adjacent y estoy orgullosa (Listen i’m from Lima Heights Adjecent i’m proud).
        -Sabes lo que pasa en Lima Heights Adjecen? (Do you know know what goes down in LHA?-
        – Cosas malas!! (Bad things) jajajaja
        I love her jajaja i hope you read this and that i help you jeje

31. B says:

I would absolutely watch Rachel, Kurt, Blaine and even Finn…the college years! At NYU of course!

32. Lizzy says:

1 – I found Matthew Morrison’s song SO annoying – it didn’t NOTHING for the plot, it was just a video for his new song. Ugh.

2 – Agree with all about Rachel knowing that Cats was no longer running – SO should have been Brittany.

3 – Really… the no songs until you get there? I don’t think so. And why does New Directions get to sing 2 songs?

I DID love Kurt & Blaine’s exchange(cause who can’t relate to seeing the person you’re with be SO happy and you just are filled with love for them) and I love Mercedes and Sam, but didn’t he say something earlier in the episode about being with someone else if he weren’t homeless???

• Shurly says:

Er, do you actually want them to show every groups perform their 2 songs ? Do you remember that they only had 1 hour for this finale ? So yeah, we get to see only New Directions’ 2 songs but they’re the ones we care about, duh !

33. Shelley says:

I LOVED the finale in all ways. Have seen it several times so I don’t miss any subtle detail. I’m SOOOOOOO glad Finn and Rachel are back(they are my very favorite). Loved Rachel and Kurt scenes and song Besties!! Loved My Cup song hysterically funny. Loved that Puck told Finn to set a date up. Loved Santanna and Britanny. Loved Light Up the World. Quinn really didn’t plan any problem just wanted to be loved. Maybe this will be her journey to heal from all her tramas and become a great character. This yr she’s been reduced to meek and broken. Like Mercedes and Sam together. Mercedes accepts Sam and his homelessness as is. Where popular girls wouldn’t. Loved Britanny and Santanna ended season as best friends for now. This leaves open plot for next season. Love how Rachel and Finn approached their relationship cautiously. They’ve matured and are wanting to communicate fully and honestly with each other to further and unify and solidify their relationship. Very grown up so different from last season and first of this season. I think their break up was good for them especially Rachel to grow. Her insecurities are less now. She wasn’t going to cave in to Finn on his first attempt at reuniting. She now holds her true desires for stardom and not just being thankful to be Finn’s girlfriend. Or feel second best to Quinn. The dialog for Finchel had meaning. Finn answered the question Kiss of the Century compared to fireworks with Quinn. He also answered the dilemma of the kiss on stage. It meant more to him than winning the competition very different from Jesse ( exact opposite). Will now knows where he belongs and is right with his decision to stay in Lima. Great interaction of Quinn, Santanna and Brittany. Santanna giving Quinn tough love advise and comfort. This episode was a slower pace than some but full of resolution for all couples til next season. Leaves wonderful open ends for new and interesting plot lines for next season. Personally I feel it was well done and leaves a yummy feeling for all to leave the season with. Most of the songs were exceptional. For Good duet for Kurt and Rachel beautiful and moving. Light Up the World was up beat and great love Santanna, Britanny, Artie, Finn on vocals. Love Finn and Rachel duet not my favorite but good. People are different who watch the show. We Like Love to Hate an episode. I have. This season has been an experiment for the creators to try something different. Some successful some not. Episodes with themes(being gay and bullying for example). I applaud them for their efforts but some went too overboard in the topic or was dropped all together. But My favorite episodes of this season are the back half. I loved Thriller, Silly Love Songs, Original Song,Prom Queen, Born This Way Funeral and New York. The only 1 first half was Duets. Alot of the themed episodes fell flat. But I give thanks to the creators cast and crew for a great season. Have a great break during Hiatus. Can’t wait til next season to view the new topics with more adult themes like their future dreams and goals. Hope no more Jesse St James or Holly Holiday there is no purpose IMO. Creators tried to make an episode to forward storylines into new ones and to resolve old ones. I think they did a good job. But people hate. Can’t please everybody all the time.

34. Jodi says:

I thought for sure that they didn’t place because of something Quinn had done–bribed someone or something! For her plot to just fizzle out into a salon moment was so lame! And the original songs really need to be carefully seeded throughout the year. Loved the Finchel moment, the Kurt and Blaine moment and everything about Santana these days! Missed Sue, and was really looking for some Karofsky resolution. I’m in for next year, here’s hoping they listen to the fans!

35. Sharon says:

Ryan Murphy, please stop using Jesse as a promotion for Finchel. Jonathan Groff deserves SO much more credit than that. Also, from S1 to S2, Jesse seems to have lost half of his brain.

• Sarah says:

You took the words out of my mouth. Admittedly I am a huge fan of Jonathan Groff so I wish his character was more likable altogether. But putting that aside it’s ridiculous to bring him back for three episodes and then proceed to give him this kind of awful plot to work with. I was really looking forward to his return and it turned out to be absolutely pointless. I think the worst part is that they had him for three episodes and gave him ONE song!! The guy can outsing every other male on the show, except maybe Matthew morrison – how can they not take advantage of that?

36. sharlene says:

I think Rachel and Jesse are a way better couple. Also, I didn’t really dig last night’s episode that much. Glee needs to stick to the basics.

37. Beth says:

The episode starting with Rachel looking at NYC with Gershwin’s “Rhapsody in Blue” in the background and the use of “Someone to Watch Over Me” (also Gershwin) during Finn and Rachel’s foray in Central Park erased a lot of my annoyance over this episode. Nice homage to one of Broadway’s best.

38. BeNotAfraid says:

Loved the Rachel and Kurt song, the Klaine love moment, and the Mercedes/Sam reveal – my second fav Glee ship – pretty, pretty, pretty. But I hated everything else. I wanted a Blaine song. I live for the Blaine song.

Next season l.est have more show tunes or reworks of great music and less talk. I watch Glee for the music not the talk.

39. AngieD says:

Brittany recapped the season perfectly – it was about acceptance of yourself and your friends as they are, not the images that they portray. Smart girl! Loved Finchel Reunion. Enjoyed the original songs. Loved Kurt acknowledging that he had a really good year after all. Yay – Mercedes has a boyfriend. I can understand them wanting to keep it to themselves for now. Enjoyed the boys supporting Finn. Enjoyed Quinn having a girl bonding moment with Santana & Brittany – she’s kinda been off on her own with the exception of a few episodes with Rachel. Don’t bring back Sunshine next year.

• Shelley says:

I utterly and totally agree with every single word. No more Sunshine. The episode was about acceptance. Britanny’s dialog to Santanna so powerful and visionary. She is brilliant!! Finn and Rachel accepting the knowledge of their love for each other. Quinn bonding as you said with Britanny and Santanna. Glad to see the trinity close again. Santanna giving her tough love advice. And Quinn accepting Finn and her break up as totally over. Dispite the Prom Queen fiasco and bullying Kurt knows his year was full of wonderful things. Sam and Mercedes a couple so glad for them. This will be featured as a plot next season. She is the only one to accept him and his plight with open eyes and arms. I for 1 am glad it ended the way it did. The show has a lot of open topics for plot lines next season. People hate to hate. Glee will never be able to satisfy all viewers all the time. I’m hoping with new writers next season the storylines will be great fresh moving and funny.

40. m says:

I love you, Slezak. That’s all.

41. murley says:

i have to disagree with your poor grade for “my cup”. its similarity to “my headband” was hilarious because it alluded to previous episodes where brittany has stated that “my headband” is her favorite song. i thought it was a nice continuity moment. also, not giving “for good” an A+ seems kind of criminal. lea and chris killed that song.

42. Mari says:

SOOOOO disappointed with the finale! I mean really what was the big deal about the kiss? It’s not like they’re in middle school for
    crying out loud. The songs all sucked! I seriously missed Sue!

43. DENISE says:

After graduation, they need to spin off Kurt and Rachel in NY.

44. jag says:

as the saying goes – It’s just TV. right? glee has the tendencies of being more of a child’s dreams coming true than a straight from reality story. and that is the big problem. younger viewers will take the loop holes and the stupid plots but the older demography roots for the “i could relate to it because it happened to me” thing. i think the writers and the money makers should come up with a solution to balance the fun and the believability of the show. Murphy should know that the main reason viewers watch the show is because deep inside people needs to see underdogs rise to success. and that is both entertaining and factual. i’ve list the things i felt stupid on glee even for kids.

1. is there a way that pairing would go out of the club. i felt everyone on the group have kissed everyone. it’s not a healthy situation.
    2. really no song, practice or even a vocal exercise? its nationals. how stupid could it get?
    3. rumors episode is the most insightful. in the sense that i’ve got to see a story in the life of the club outside the suffocating love affairs. that’s why kurt’s story is interesting. he got a family beside fin and quinn. the others are a bunch of homeless kids who got money and lives in McKinley high.
    4.quinn is a bitch? i really can’t answer that. you see it could be possible if she is a good person. character inconsistency is just as common as sue’s hourly assaults.
    5.i’ve discovered that sue is really a good person. schue is a dream boy with no capabilities of coaching. when sue said that schue is misleading the kids to think that they can make a difference, its true. from what’s happening the kids didn’t learn anything. the plot is a constant repeat of mistakes from season 1 to 2. finchel falling in and out of love per minute. wining the competition then loosing the second one because the kids dont’t know if right practice will make them better. emma will always be the unseen manipulator and schue is the fool. sexually challenge character will multiply 3 times every season. actually i could predict that next season … of never mind you already know it.

45. Rachel says:

Let’s not forget Brittany bringing the optimism back!! Santana’s “When did you get so smart?” melted my heart :) especially after how Brittany reacted to Artie calling her stupid.

46. amb says:

The episode seemed way too rushed. It was as though they jammed the episode with way too much. There is no way Will would’ve given up on his dream just like that. Especially after he had told Emma he knew the show would close in no time. Since school was basically over for the summer, I think he would have stayed in NY.

The best scenes were Kurt and Rachel’s. They definitely stayed true to the characters.

47. ASH says:

Why isn’t there a black *guy* in this group? Can they recruit that dude that was in “Hairspray”? He looks young enough to be a high schooler, and can sing like crazy.

48. Thomas James Normande says:

The three GLEE writers need to learn how to write for television. I applaud its producers, the same people who put NIP TUCK on the tube. Both series share similar characteristics of an unorthodox and severely flawed visual story telling techniques. Nonetheless, it is this chaotic style that irked us too much, which kept me and others to have an on and off relationship with these two productions. Juxtaposing three or more dramatic premises posed complex issues in developing a coherent and dramatic narrative linear structure. The foundation that keeps the contentual narrative in context are the premise statement of what the episode will be about, the characters and their relationships, and the dramatic situation that surrounds it. All three items must be structured to stay focused on the real vision of the entire series. It is like water in a bottle. The water is the content and the bottle is what holds its content together. If the bottle has several cracks, the weight of the water will make it impossible to prevent the bottle to slowly burst into pieces and the water is spilled on the floor.

A good dramatic premise defines the strenght of the narrative structure, aids the development of compelling characters, leads you to maneuver your narrative to a different direction by introducing dramatic plot points and sub plot points that enable a smooth transition from your establishing scene to ACT 11. as we set out journey to this phase, we build up the instensity of the narative by creating obstacles to the point that it reaches the climax. Then, it takes you to another turning point that will be instrumental in resolving the obstacles in ACT II. A resolution is not about ending the story but engaging the viewers to connect all the elements presented and make them something to talk about as regards the correctness, effectiveness in making connections with your experiences and humanity, moral and social consequences and justications, and mot especially when you start to experiment on your own resoluition formulary.

GLEE started on track, presenting the dramatic premise within the first ten minutes of the episode, AUDITION. I would consider it as among my thee favorite episodes. Shue called Glee members on a brainstorming session on how to inspire students to audition. Rachel caught the eyes of Sunshine Corazon, and Finn noticed Sam. SUnshine and Sam seemed interested to join but both projected a dent of hesitation in their faces.

spills out until the bottle can no longer hang on as bursts into several pieces.

49. mary says:

Brittany is so fabulous. Have you noticed that she dances better than anyone else? I don’t know anything about anything, but in a group number, her dancing is so fluid and dynamic, her whole body moves, and she just stands out! And she’s such a good singer, too. I don’t know why they don’t feature her more often. And I’m very tried of Rachel’s eyebrows – furrowed = sad and concerned – just so one-note in terms of acting.

• Nicole says:

The actress who plays Brittany, Heather Morris, is a professional dancer. As is Harry Shum Jr. (who plays Mike). That’s why their dancing is better than most of the cast that comes from acting backgrounds.