Bones Spinoff The Finder Recasting Female Lead As Saffron Burrows Exits

The Finder is on the prowl for a new female lead.

Sources close to the Bones spinoff confirm to TVLine that Saffron Burrows is leaving the show and her role is being recast.

The ex-Law & Order: Criminal Intent detective played a cocky bar owner and helicopter pilot opposite star Geoff Stults. An insider says the role is being reimagined.

In an interview with TVLine back in April, exec producer Hart Hanson revealed plans to add a new female character to the show named Isabelle. “She is attached to the Miami field office of the FBI or the Miami Dade police force,” he said of the still-uncast role. “She’s [Stults’ character’s] main squeeze — on and off.”

Last week, Fox announced that The Finder would inherit Bones‘ Thursday timeslot in January when the latter show goes on hiatus to accommodate Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave.

News of Burrows’ departure was first reported by EW.com.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, News, Scoop

1. Martina says:

Well that blows, she was the character I liked the most from the “pilot”

• Dane says:

Completely agree. I thought she was quirky and I liked that she wasn’t sleeping with him. Now we get to have some cop who has a romantic history with him? Been There, Seen That. Snooooooooze…

• Cash says:

I love how “exits” has become the new code phrase for “thrown under a bus.”

• Jake says:

I disliked her character the most. A typical Hollywood cliche where the bar owner is a tough chick with a funny and unintelligible accent who knows how to fly a chopper. Bring in William Forsythe. I loved him as a barkeep on John Doe which was also on FOX.

They did not have to reaplce Burrows…just drop the annoying cockney accent. This isn’t a Guy Ritchie production.

2. Heather says:

Not a surprise considering most of the negative response to the episode revolved around her character. I wonder if they are going to simply recast or bring on a whole new character since the show already aired.

3. Janet says:

Oh thank goodness for that!! Even as an English actress, her “cockerney” accent was AWFUL!!

• Bonnie says:

The accent was so awful it was incredibly distracting! It took me out of the story whenever she spoke.

• Viking Geek says:

It wasn’t a cockney accent, it was an Irish brogue. Deep Kilkenny or Limerick County. I thought it was fun to listen to, even though it wasn’t a real accent for her.

Ah, well. The article said that it was a reimagining, so I guess that means they won’t meet at her bar any more, instead they will meet somewhere else, and introduce Isabelle as a character in law enforcement.

I could see Summer Glau as Isabelle. Or Julianne Nicholson. She could pull off an FBI agent without breaking a sweat.

• Neil Price says:

Being from ireland and living in and around Limerick I can tell you all that the accent was not Irish nor was it any form of a limerick accent it was English through and through and just rely anoying!!

• honestly says:

I spent the whole show trying to decide if it was Cockney, something else, Kiwi, or Australian. It sounded like the strangest mixture and it looked dubbed.

Although I liked her character. I can tell you one thing, regardless, I wasn’t planning on watching “The Finder”. This is certainly not going to make me watch it.

4. E. says:

Reimagined? Not good. The back door pilot episode of Bones felt rather forced. Hey, call Lisa Edelstein!

• Scott says:

Now that would be great casting. Especially if Fox advertised it during House.

The role would have to reimagined because if I read other sites correctly, during The Finder’s 13 episode debut season, the Bones team will be popping in and out due to there being no filming around the time Emily Deschanel’s due to give birth, which as we all know said pregnancy is being written into Bones.

As long as it’s mentioned in the first proper episode that something happened to Ike then there’s no reason why the show couldn’t even continue with just Geoff Stults and Michael Clarke Duncan.

5. timelord says:

thank goodness. her ” cockney accent ” was something of a farce.

6. Derek64 says:

Hopefully the new actress will have a less grating/less fake accent.

7. Gregory says:

I’d rather they had recast Michael Clarke Duncan. He was the character that I thought totally didn’t work.

8. sam says:

smart move on her part. i actually really like saffron burrows, but in THE FINDER her character’s accent was abrasive and obnoxious, and her mannerisms were quite off-putting. she was immediately dislikable, even to me, which is weird because i normally immediately like her.

i wasn’t going to watch THE FINDER because i thought the all of the show’s leads worked poorly together and had less-than-mediocre onscreen chemistry. with the right casting, however, that could potentially be fixed. i’ll watch out for her re-casting to see if this is the case.

• Megalion says:

She was a bit off putting but I was excited to see her anyways because I figured that she’d grow into the character and all.

9. MrLoiter says:

She was the only actor on the show who might have gotten me to tune in, bad accent or not.

10. Kris says:

I would love to see someone like Diane Neal take over her role.

11. MrLoiter says:

The accent isn’t an issue really. They could just change it like they did on Burn Notice. Fi initially spoke with an Irish accent that was later mostly dropped.

• honestly says:

Fi dropped her accent in the Pilot. It was background. She’s only had it one other time and it was a really good accent. I would love to hear more of it.

12. Linda says:

I think they should scrap the whole idea.

• Tucker says:

Agreed. For a brief moment, when the characters were introduced early in the episode, it worked. As the episode went on, it became clear that it was just a bad idea.

• Heather says:

Until Geoff Stults went shirtless. Then I was all in!

• Trish says:

I so agree about shirtless George! I’m glad they’re recasting. She grated on my nerves.

• Chatty says:

Yes, until they had him sit on the toilet for that scene that seemed to go on forever. Gross, and not sexy at all.

• chrisga says:

Lol EXACTLY! The best part about the whole thing was Geoff shirtless. Otherwise, although I do like Saffron Burrow(though not that accent, and though she is indeed British I don’t think her natural accent is that thick) and Michael Clarke Duncan not so much, I wasn’t bowled over in any way with the back door pilot ep. Unless Geoff’s gonna be sans shirt the majority of each episode I won’t be tuning in.

13. maggie says:

Funny how there are a number of comments about Saffron Burrow’s English accent being “fake” and “awful.” Burrow’s is British and speaks with a British accent. The American accent she used on “Boston Legal” and “Law & Order:CI” was the fake accent.

• Anne says:

That’s what makes it so bad! She IS English, but by no means cockney, and as a Brit, I actually hung my head in shame when I first heard it! Really didn’t see the need for the character to be cockney anyways, it might have actually made her character a bit more interesting if she were well spoken.

• Eurydice says:

There are lots of American actors who can’t do a Boston accent.

• murley says:

it was still a put-on accent. it would be like a new york actor doing a crappy texan accent. and her cockney accent was pretty awful.

• Jake says:

When people said that her cockney accent was fake they did not mean that she really spoke like an American. I know she’s a Brit from interview she has done in the past. Her accent was fake because she does not truly speak with a cockney accent. Unless she is closeted Guy Ritchie fan.

14. Kristen says:

I thought she was the weak link in the “pilot”, though I generally like her. It’ll be interesting to see who they put in to replace her.

15. Lois says:

The Bones episode/pilot was awful. The only thing that was good about that episode was the scenes with the Bones crew. I love Bones but will not watch The Finder.

16. claire says:

That’s a great move !

17. Jeri says:

Her role seemed poorly written or edited. She didn’t have much to do.

18. Jack says:

Have no idea why producers are in love with Burrows. Well I might, but I won’t go there.

Her dead-ass personality added nothing to “Boston Legal” and stretched credibility when she couldn’t maintain an American accent. Then there was, “My Own Worst Enemy.” Contrary to the summary, she played the title role–the show’s worst enemy. She then went on to sink Jeff Goldblum in, “L&O, Criminal Intent.” Sure enough, her garbled accent in this latest spinoff was so garbled, it took me half the episode to realize she wasn’t supposed to be an Aussie.

When will showrunners get a clue?

19. Lambsilencer says:

All they have to do is cast Summer Glau in the new part, and the show will have instant hype! :)

20. leo says:

I love Saffron Burrows but her character and that accent kept me from buying the whole concept. I am glad this is being addressed. I couldn’t imagine watching The Finder otherwise.

21. Gregg says:

Sometimes it’s not the actor or actress, sometimes it is the Director …

• Eurydice says:

Sure, and sometimes it’s the entire concept. To me, the pilot seemed a mash-up of a lot of other shows. It’ll have to get a lot more distinctive before I’ll be interested in watching it.

22. Happy Go Lucky says:

I nominate Annie Wersching. Her pilot didn’t get picked.

23. Eric says:

They should get Liz Vassey. How awesome would that be?

24. Eric says:

Does this mean she’s been cast as Mel in Season 2 of Game of Thrones? I heard she was a front runner for that role, and being British, it would seem to fit.

25. Cleo says:

Elizabeth Mitchell! She needs a show right now and just finished playing an FBI agent. It’s be a perfect role.

26. MACK says:

kinda not surprised, I thought her cockney accent was not fitting. yeah it fit the character but im so accustomed to hearing her talk with a posh english accent, it just seemed strange to hear something else.

27. wooster182 says:

CHARISMA CARPENTER!!!!!!! Can we make this happen????

28. Mikaylah says:

I actually really liked her character. I agree with the comments about the same old relationship set up. I liked that Saffron’s character didn’t seem to have any romantic feelings for him. She provided a fresh aspect to a familiar concept. I hope the new character turns out to be better than I am imagining.

29. Kay says:

I like Saffron Burrows, but her character in “The Finder” was my least favorite in the group. For some reason she didn’t fit in with the other two. Maybe it was her accent, maybe how they wrote her, maybe she just didn’t have good chemistry with the other two, but I’m not surprised they are replacing her in this role.

30. bhm1304 says:

There is a fantastic actress that this network saddled to a horribly conceived/written part on “24” and her name is Katee Sackhoff. Katee Sackhoff would do well with Stults and Duncan plus you can buy her as a tough FBI agent. Katee could get me to give this show a chance.

• Cataline says:

Katee just finished up Longmire for A&E. Don’t know if it’s a done deal, but that would knock her out of the possibilities. How about Tricia Helfer?

• bhm1304 says:

They’ve both played cops and done well in the roles; Tricia most recently on the canceled “Dark Blue”. With the horrid news that “17th Precinct” is dead, any show would be lucky to have Tricia Helfer.

• Natalie says:

Tricia Helfer is a BRILLIANT idea. I absolutely loved her in Battlestar Galactica. I think she’d fit in wonderfully.

31. absherlock says:

So glad they cancelled Chicago Code, Lie to Me and Human Target for a show that doesn’t even have a full cast. Way to go FOX!

32. Leithen says:

Here’s a strange idea…

Billie Piper.

33. Guy says:

Just stupid FOX. Pulling Cole from X Factor and now Burrows from The Finder. What next? House gets cut from House?

All they had to do with Burrows was fix the accent a bit. However it seems FOX are now against British females.

34. Ace says:

This is actually going to be airing during the Bones break necessitated by Emily’s pregnancy, so it technically didn’t cost ANY of those shows their lives. But now that you mention it, Lie to Me’s wonderful Monica Raymund is available now! How about her for Isabelle?

• Ace says:

This was intended to be a reply to absherlock’s comment, by the way. Not sure how it ended up down here.

• absherlock says:

Sure it cost these shows. Any one of them could have filled in during maternity leave. Now if Stults’ character was filling in for Emily’s on the same show, you’d have a point. But what’s Fox going to do next season when there isn’t break in BONES? They’re going to have to find room or cancell something because it’s an entirely different show.

35. Cas says:

I think this was a smart move. I liked the lead character well enough, but I could never have put up with Ivy long-term. Her voice (and that wretched accent) is very grating, and I don’t think the character fit in well with the rest of the cast at all. She was quite cartoonish.

36. noelbelle says:

Why can’t the show have both? Why is there only room for one woman on this show? I liked the idea of Burrow’s character, although I agree that the accent was atrocious. I also liked the idea that she was romantically uninvolved with Stults’ character. I say, keep her but dial back the accent and add the other character too.

37. Miriam says:

What? They change her character after the ‘pilot’ has aired – I know this happens but I really don’t think it’s a good idea. I thought she was quirky and I liked how non of the characters were part of police – now they’re just going to shove some on/off girlfriend cop at us? Why can’t we have both characters?

38. Hseoitghsosgslgs says:

I think the problem is that the set up was too much like Burn Notice–that and Saffran off screen life might have played a part

39. Midori says:

Thank the gods the show might be watchable now… but I doubt it.

Fox should have kept Chicago Code.

40. Bob says:

Doesn’t really matter how imaginative they get in the “reimagination” because the show won’t last more than three or four episodes.

41. Natalie says:

Good! I didn’t like her at all. I actually thought the show had potential but found her so unlikeable that I had decided to ‘skip’ it. Now I’ll be giving it a second chance!

42. merl says:

With all the ethnic influence in Forida, it would make sense to have a feisty Latina in that role–possibly with Cuban underworld connections.

I LIKE Saffron Burrows, but they should have written her closer to her real self and not such a caricature. Bad bad bad. And if they’re really re-imagining: how about a kid sister who actually kinda looks after the war-wounded Stults?

• Jake says:

I’m sick and tired of the phrase “fiesty latina”. Let’s do away with the cliches and get someone who’s a good actress regardless of ethnicity.

43. Katy says:

I’m English and I can guarantee that her accent was terrible! I didn’t like her character at all and would have avoided the show because of it. I love the idea of Liz Vassey :-)

44. Aimee says:

I really miss Kristen Bell on television on a weekly basis. I’d love it if she played Isabelle.

45. Rachel says:

I liked her and thought the possibility of those three on one show would be hilarious. I don’t understand why they can’t keep her AND bring in a love interest for Geoff Stults’ character, but the factof the matter is, if the show doesn’t do well immediately FOX will simply pull it. Can you say LoneStar?

46. Melissa says:

I am glad; I was planning on not watching the show because she just annoyed me. I mean it’s already a stretch to believe the lead character and his quirks, but the supporting cast should be simpler and easier to enjoy (to start, then as the show progresses they become more deep- just as they did in Bones)

47. Dilla says:

katee sackoff…

48. KeKeKe says:

I found out that her accent very disturbing. I glad that they recast her.

49. Bea says:

I love The Finder but it was much better w Saffron Burrows. It would have made it if they hadn’t “re-imagined” her role. It was really a bummer that the show got cancelled.