American Idol Season 10 Finale: The Winner Is...

After what Ryan Seacrest labeled a “world record” 122 million votes, American Idol‘s wild and wooly 10th season has its champion. [UPDATE: Check out our full finale recap here.] Indeed, at the end of a fast-paced and mostly entertaining results-show finale punctuated by a fabulous Haley Reinhart-Tony Bennett duet, a fascinatingly campy Tom Jones tribute featuring the Top 6 guys, and shining moments for James Durbin, Jacob Lusk, and pretty much every eliminated member of Season 10’s Top 13 — but which strangely seemed to downplay the presence of the two remaining finalists — the confetti shower went to…Scotty McCreery!

Exclusive: Nigel Lythgoe on Haley Bashing,
Twitter Rants, and SYTYCD Changes

After registering the news of his victory, Scotty gave a shout-out to runner-up Lauren Alaina, then tearfully hugged almost every member of his family in the Nokia Theater, all of his fellow Top 13 finalists, and the show’s three judges, while barely able to deliver an encore performance of his first single, “I Love You This Big.” It was a moment of raw emotion for a sweet North Carolina kid, and a charming, Kleenex-grab of an ending to an inconsistent season that only intermittently delivered on its massive amounts of promise and talent.

‘American Idol’ Performance Night Recap: ‘Mother’ Load

And with that bit of news unleashed into the Idoloonie universe, I’ve got a full recap to write! [UPDATE: Full recap is now liiiive!]

Idoloonies: James Durbin Talks Flaming Pianos,
Metal ‘Revolution,’ ‘Waterworld’ Inspiration

In the interim, I turn things over to you! What did you think of the Season 10 Idol finale? Did the right person win? What were your favorite and least favorite performances from Wednesday night? Sound off below, then hit the comments to share your thoughts, feelings, and conspiracy theories. And for all my Idol news, reviews, and interviews — including video Q&As next week with the Season 10 Top 3, as well as ongoing summer coverage of The Voice, Platinum Hit, So You Think You Can Dance, and all your favorite reality shows — follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Lo says:

I really have to give props to Lauren for handling defeat so graciously. She actually looked relieved to have lost.

• Hrfe says:

So true. She didn’t look upset at all. I think she knows she’ll still be successful without being crowned, and now she can wait a little while.

• shine says:

Congrats to Scotty. He deserved the win. He was always entertaining and loved by many celebrities and fans.

• Suncatcher says:

Well said, Hrfe!

PS – Anyone else notice at the end of the show with Carrie Underwood that Lauren’s voice was really weak and scratchy. Seemed like she was holding back. Thinking that strained vocal chord was for real.

• scrubbie says:

its me or this was so underwhelming? I mean, comparing to Carrie, Kellie, Fantasia, David Cook, this coronation song was so blah…still rooting for the kid, he was all kinds of cute, hugging to their peers…i hope he can survive

• Snsetblaze says:

This coronation song made “Do I Make You Proud” look like a masterpiece. Still, hopefully Wierd Al will be able to write a great satire like he did for “Do I Make You Proud.”

• Joseph says:

Okay , best song of the night by a Solo guest or judge ,
          Steven Tyler with Dream On , he has an amazing vocal ability.
          Best song of the night excluding Solo Guest
          Tim McGraw and Scotty
          Many issues of he show
          1st – It would have been nice if both Scotty and Lauren could have had at least two dream duets or group numbers , given that Lauren and Scotty can both enjoy Country it is a shame they could not do a group number with a major Country Group like Lady Antebellum.
          2nd – There was no reason to give the early losers solo moments in the group performances they should have just put them into the chorus.
          3rd – Sorry but that James Durbin outfit was really really 1980’s Leather Bar Gay.
          4th & 5th – Did they really have to give any solo vocal moment to Jacob , he is a horrible singer and did the producers know that Jack Black is a better singer then Casey.

• Patrick says:

Agree with you on Tyler. He really out sang every contestant this season. I’m surprised no one sang ‘Dream On’ this season. Tyler must have blocked it from being performed.

• Give Metal a Chance Foundation says:

James was dressed like a young Rob Halford(ie, the guy he was singing with), and Halford’s look was in fact right out of the Gay Leather bars.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m impressed (?) with how many readers know that James’ outfit was “so 1980s leather gay bar”. ;-)

• Suncatcher says:

The second I saw the Durbs, I thought, oh no, the “Village People!” He looked JUST like he was going onstage with them instead of Judas Priest like he really did.

Durbs! Talk about a wardrobe malfunction!!!

• Suncatcher says:

I am a huge Tony Bennett fan and was cheering for Haley all season. I was so thrilled to see Haley singing with the great Tony Bennett last night! Both class acts! Haley did us proud last night!

– BTW – Tony Bennett did the same “Steppin’ Out With My Baby” arrangement with Christina Aguilera on his first “Duets” album (double platinum). It was perfect for Haley!

– Bennett is a known perfectionist and would never have sung with Haley if he had any qualms at all.

– It would be fabulous if Haley were invited by Bennett to sing on his new “Duets 2” album! On the first “Duets” album, Bennett had: John Legend, Paul McCartney, Bono, Billy Joel, Tim McGraw, Sting, Stevie Wonder, Michael Buble, Elton John, George Michael, Streisand and a few I am forgetting.

• l says:

@suncatcher – yeah that would be cool if her let he be on that

• l says:

Yeah you would think they’d have given the group solos to the top finishers who didn’t get a lot of time solo during the night, especially some.
            I actually thought Casey outsang Jack Black. Although he did do a bit much of the straining grunt.
            I think Lauren’s voice was blown so forget having her do extra duets and stuff. As it is you hope they didn’t let her mess it long term.

• Jonathan says:

I was thinking something like “I Heart You Long Time” or some such. Having read about how awful this song was before watching the show, though, it wasn’t quite as bad as I would’ve expected, but that turn of phrase is awful and it does not sound like a hit to me. At least there were no Kara DioGuardi-isms about natural disasters.

• l says:

Yeah I honestly feel bad for the kid. This is not only the worst coronation song ever but it has far and away the worst title, you can make a million bad jokes about every which way.

• Jonathan says:

My favorite so far, courtesy of @Andy_Richter:

“Who’s going to be the first guy to stand nude by the bed and sing Scotty’s song to his lady while gesturing junkwards? #notme”

• Clo says:

Not a conspiracy person — but 122 million votes? Really?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, the people that were angry about the Lauren Alaina Show last night must have been texting with two phones and both hands!

• James says:

The Lauren Show as you put it, turned out to be a comedy act. Did you see her along side Carrie Underwood? That shows that she will never go anywhere….she is not Carrie in anyway…she was pushed down our throats and will never amount to anything except chubbier

• charlie says:

Right! Seeing and listening to them together showed how much more powerful a singer Carrie is than Lauren. I was very impressed with Lauren when I saw her audition and thought she would be a great contestant, but she never made any advancement in vocals or performance during the show– too young and immature and lacking confidence. And the judges didn’t help her at all.

Too bad we didn’t get to hear a new single by Haley. Her duet was the best of the night performance IMO, but I know I’m highly biased.

• Sandi says:

Agreed about the Carrie comparision (although your “chubbier” comment was unnecessary). Seeing and listening to them side by side perfectly illustrated the vast superiority of Carrie Underwood. If I were Lauren, I would never do a duet with her again! Carrie makes her look like a total amatuer.

• Songwevr says:

You are comparing the polished Carrie with many years of performing under her belt to this young girl. Would the Carrie that sang her coronation song on AI years ago look comparable to Lauren? I think so.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Don’t want to repeat myself here, as I posted this elsewhere, but I have never been happier that my husband is a big country fan. Right after Carrie won I saw her on several live country awards shows and country music shows, and quite frankly, there were more than a few performances that stunk out loud. She was off-key and sounded bad (but she WAS loud. Loud and bad). I remember thinking, “I knew Constantine should have won”, LOL. You can probably find her performances on YouTube. And let’s be honest – she didn’t have a lot of competition that season. Lauren, on the other hand, had some dynamite competition and still managed to make it to number 2 (with a lot of help from…the judges? Nigel? Jesus? country fan voters?)

Clearly Carrie’s come a long way and there is NO denying her talent. She’s a superstar. I’m not a Lauren fan – mainly due to excessive pimping and lack of constructive criticism, which resulted in a blown vocal chord due to crappy vocal technique, although she’s the type of singer that could grow on me. But people, it’s a bit ridiculous to compare a 16 year old amateur with an injured voice to a seasoned pro – especially when there are folks like me who recall Carrie’s early, not-so-great performances. Even pros like Faith Hill started out rough and “her people” pulled Hill out of performing live to give her more time to improve (I saw Faith Hill on Letterman one night early in her career and she was dreadful!).
            Sandi – the reason Carrie made Lauren look like a total amateur is because, technically, Lauren is a total amateur.

• darcy is more evil than her 'evil says:

@darcy’s evil twin

• oops says:

Ignore comment above the msg board flipped out, very weird!
            Anyway I was just saying again, yeah it is not fair but when you had other contestants holding their own better coming in in lower spots…. so I don’t know I buy they excuse at all. I might buy that her vocal cords seemed ruined though, hopefully they didn’t damage her on Tuesday night. If she actually did blow one for real and they just masked the pain with pain killers they could really have messed her up long time. I doubt they would be that foolish though.

• Brittany says:

Note for note, Carrie wiped the floor with Lauren last night. Carrie’s version of “Flat on the Floor” is far superior, too. Lauren does not have the power or breath control that Carrie has. This is not to say that Lauren is not crazy talented for a 16 year old, but please, people. Give credit where it is due. Lauren is and will never be Carrie Underwood (or Mariah or Whitney or Kelly or whoever else the judges claimed she is). I thought singing with Carrie did not do her any justice at all and if anything just made her seem unworthy of being in the top 2. Scotty held his own with Tim McGraw. As a rule of thumb, idols should not perform with people far superior to them vocally or it just makes them look bad.

• Blank Slate says:

Can Lauren please go back to her real last name now? Siddeth?

• Mayra says:

Internet, people! Votes online… 122 million.

• truth says:

They got to vote for 2x as long as last week.

The ratings were down 16% for this year’s top 3 show! (shouldn’t they get a big bump UP from top three?)

• buzz says:

Tuesday night’s (all country) final 2 performance show was down 16% from the previous week Final 3 performance show (with Haley)…think that’s what you meant.

• truth says:

AGh! Yeah that is what I meant. The finale was down 16% FROM this year’s top 3 show.

• Mingyao says:

It was a 4hour voting period, 2x longer than the regular voting period.

IMO they should have been able to generate more votes than that considering top 3 week was able to generate 95 mil just w/ the regular 2 hour voting period

• Alex says:

During past Idol finales, I believe both contestants had THREE lines to dial for (5701, 03, or 05, etc.) THIS YEAR, Scotty and Lauren both had FOUR line to dial for. (5702, 04, 06, and 08, etc.) Plus the addition of online voting has contributed to the massive amount of votes this season.

• Jason McD says:

From what i understand about online voting, it is limited to 20 or 50 votes per email address…well, something like that. So I don’t think it could have bumped it up that much.

Did anyone on here vote online? Can anybody confirm this? I text voted all season, I’ve never called.

• algalhi says:

Didn’t vote on-line this week, but previous weeks only 50 votes per Facebook account were allowed.

• CandaceTX says:

I was able to robo text hundreds of votes for Haley in the past

• Snsetblaze says:

I am wondering if it is faster to vote online? I’m guessing even with the limits, some of those that want to can get around it (more than one Facebook account for example). Plus, once exhaustng the 50 online votes, they can always vote by phone.

• Debbie M says:

I actually have more patience voting by phone than online. Online you have to type in that stupid encrypted crap that you can barely make out what letters/numbers they are each time.

• l says:

but texting and phone calls are unlimited

All over the AI boards you saw nothing but I voted 1700 times and such.

• l says:

and they added more lines so less busy so lots more phone votes can go through

• CandaceTX says:

I have to admit… I kinda cheated.
            I used the SMS app on my Droid to hook up my phone to my laptop.

From my laptop, I connected to my Drioid, and then I used a software that I have to create a macro.

The macro texted the word VOTE to whatever Haley’s 57 number was for the week repeatedly. I was able to text several hundreds of votes per hour.

Sounds complicated, but it really was easy… plus Haley was worth the little extra effort.

• CandaceTX says:

ha! those robo-tweens got nuthin on me!!

• Brett says:

There were more votes because the polls were open for four hours, last night, rather than the usual two.

• Susan says:

The number of votes are so much higher this season because they added online voting and you can vote up to 50 times.

• charlie says:

They also must have added more lines for the phone voting. In prior years, I would typically get through only about 1 in 20 tries or so. This year, for the first few shows, I got no busy signals at all. When things heated up toward the top 4 and top 3, there were some busy signals in the first half hour but eventually there were none, so power voting by redial was easy to do and log 300-500 votes in the 2 hour period.

• Daniel says:

they forgot to mention that they were cast by 50 tween girls with unlimited cell privileges.

• Lee says:

122 million votes, representing 87 people…

• Georgia says:

I found 122 million difficult to believe (well, really impossible to believe).

• Diane Rowland says:

I agree- I found it inconcievable! No way- I thought- when Ryan said that. Half the people I know didn’t even watch it because it was going to be a boring Country Finale. And it was! Totally Boring! Ugh- though I am glad Scotty won over Lauren. Last nights finale was much better, would have been even better if they had spotlighted Pia! What was up with that?

• well says:

Viewership WAS down a rather remarkable 16% from the week before when the finale should have gotten a big boost from the prior week!

The voting, as said, was due to more lines, more time, more methods, the mega voting country set.

• Yo says:

I found it interesting that Interscope is now an accounting firm. I didn’t believe the vote count; there is no independent audit, so no reason to believe it.

• IdolMedic says:

So conspiracy theories are correct. Scotty is legendary (J.Lo). Really. Having 16 and 17 year old finalists makes so much sense. They handle the moment and the spotlight with such poise and composure. I think next year I am going to watch every episode with such fervor and abandon that I may lose my mind. Some say I’ve lost it already.

• Scotty losing would have been the most shocking elimination of the season, including Pia. He was consistent, he had a huge fan base and did a really nice job. I’m sure the country fans will go nuts for him. Congrats to Scotty and Lauren. Lauren did a fantastic job and gutted really well through those performances, she can have a big career as well.

So that’s 4 in a row. Will a woman ever win this show again? Doubt it, but there’s always next season.

• aizjanika says:

I noticed that, too. Before the announcement, she looked so nervous, but after, she seemed so happy–and genuinely happy for Scotty.

• yeah says:

I believe they have actually been dating for months as it turns out.
        She started kissing him almost like a rabid animal right as the camera faded out. And it sounded like he was calling her baby and saying I love you to her a few seconds earlier.

• N says:

He also said “I love you” to a couple of the guys when he was hugging everyone at the end–do you think he’s dating THEM?

• darcy's evil twin says:

But he didn’t call the guys, “Baby”.

• yeah says:

Well, no, but he didn’t call them baby or kiss any of them on the lips or hold any of them tight for an extended length and none of them grabbed him and started kissing him like mad at the end.
            But who knows, maybe the emotions of it all just took hold for a few minutes. Similar age and background and worked an extra week together and sang lots of duets together so more time together.

• JudyVee says:

What do you all think of what they did (didn’t do is probably a more appropriate way of saying it!) to Lee DeWyze? Have past finales not had last year’s winner perform? And why didn’t Ryan at least acknowledge him sitting in the audience (in the row BEHIND where Ryan was standing.The least he could have done is introduce him as last year’s winner. I felt bad for him!

• Indeed says:

Yes, that seemed rude and disrespectful. Not sure what was up with that. I don’t recall him being one of the ones bashing the judges or one of the many promoting Haley all over haha.

• dctoronto says:

I think it’s the first timelast year’s idol did not sing. Last year, Kris sang after an incredibly underwhelming introduction. I guess if you haven’t made a billion dollars for 19 in your first year, you are regulated to second class citizen.
        PS: I am amazed how blue Lee’s eyes came accross last night.

• agrimesy says:

I don’t follow Lee on Twitter, but his fans wanted to know why he hadn’t told them what he was going to sing on the finale. He sent a “tweet” explaining that he wouldn’t be performing because he wasn’t asked to. Then later when he wasn’t even acknowledged by Ryan when he was RIGHT THERE behind him for most of the show, it was so rude. It’s just more evidence that the producers don’t care about you after the season is over. If you make money as a recording artist and draw attention to the show for the next year, they will capitalize on the ratings via your fanbase viewers, but otherwise, they simply do not care.

2. Reality says:

Watch what you wish for…did you see Lauren perform with Carrie Underwood?? Carrie is twice the singer, 10 times hotter…Lauren looked like a big fat toad….SHE IS NO CARRIE UNDERWOOD! and never will be

• Leslie says:

And Amber says no one insults these kids. You suck.

• Lucia says:

Is it necessary to be so cruel and arrogant? I don’t like any of these singers, tbh, but the girl is 16yo, she isn’t a professional yet. Come on now. Some fans (of anything/anybody) are so stupid and crazy…

• Maureen says:

Carrie didn’t look like she does now when she won American Idol. Give Lauren a chance.

• RealitySucks says:

Seriously reality. How ld are you? 14? Be an adult and critique the singing if you want to , but that “toad” comment makes you look like the moron in the room. Do you think that someone as classy as Carrie U. woudld respect doofus comments like yours? Grow up.

Gotta say…. Casey and Jack black… genius. Pure genius. Haley and Tony… loved it, woulda like to hear more Haley though. Tim …. swoon.

Congrats to Scotty. Kudos to Lauren for handling herself so well.

I’m still not going to watch AI anymore. Not if the same judges are there next year. Not a chance in he*ll.

• Carolyn says:

I’d love to see a Blues Brothers remake or sons of the Blues Brothers w/Black and Casey. That was one of most fun Finale moments ever. I might be slightly partial to that song. Also had no Idea what a nice full voice Black has.

• darcy's evil twin says:

It was entertaining, that’s for sure. And you’re right – they could do a decent Blues Brothers movie (“We’re on a mission from God”).

• marie says:

Sorry, I don’t see those two being anything but a very second-rate pale shadow of Ackryod and Belushi…not even close. I’ll

• marie says:

(Hit “Submit” too soon.)
            I did not enjoy Casey / Black at all – talk about screeching…! Someone here said something about how they again seemed to emphasize Casey’s shtkck over his singing…well, my guess from the way he seemed to be enjoying himself was that he wanted it that way. Yet again, Casey ignores his musical gifts to play the idiotic clown…jeez, don’t get me started on THAT again! ;) I’ll be quiet now.

• zaza says:

Are you boys police? No ma’am, we’re musicians!

• darcy's evil twin says:

there’s music and there’s entertainment – notice I said it was entertaining.
            “The Blues Brothers” had some great music – I think “Jazzy Casey” could do it justice, and I’m going to toss Haley in for good measure, particularly since she sang “Sweet Home Chicago” during her hometown visit!

• darcy's evil twin says:

“What kind of music do you play here?”
            “Oh we have both kinds – we have country AND western”.

There’s even room for Scotty and Lauren in this movie – they could sing at Bob’s Country bunker!

• Jennifer says:

Even though Casey has mentioned Jack Black as being one of his favorite performers, it’s not like he picked him specifically to duet with for the finale…that was the producers. We don’t know which side of himself he would picked if he was given some say. I’m sure that he’s name-checked other musicians that they could have brought on for him to really showcase his talent….but that didn’t happen. They chose to go with Jack Black. I mean, what is Casey supposed to do, not go all out or enjoy himself? They clearly wanted hilarious Casey, and because Casey does love Jack Black and does like to switch it up between silly and serious, he was all for it. I would have loved to see the jazz over this, too, but it was fun.

• buzz says:

Yes, I felt they shortchanged Haley on her singing time (3rd place and all). James was on for 4 minutes, Casey 3 minutes, Haley 2 minutes…more conspiracy theories here? Note to a crazy Scotty/Lauren fan who said Haley’s black hot pants were out of style, in previous posts about her appearance…noticed Carrie Underwood & Haley had the same white hot pants on tonight, and probably the same size!

Randy Jackson has to go…10 years is about 5 too long!

• anon says:

Wow, so it wasn’t just me. I kept thinking wow that felt short. Not only no single debut (whether it was ready who knows). But they give her the least show off time of the also-rans despite being #3! And running away with the last few weeks of the show!
          Must’ve been embarrassed how badly she’d show up the finalists.

• Eurydice says:

Seriously? You timed how long everybody got to sing? Maybe it was Tony Bennett who couldn’t do more than the 2 minutes. But even those two minutes were an incredible opportunity for Haley and she did a stellar job.

• Barbara says:

I thought Jack Black and Casey were fun but screechy and off-key. Jack has gained a bit though. But in what universe were the dancers in the background “fat-bottomed girls”?

Also, it was very cute later the shots of Jack going crazy in the audience.

• JT says:

Hey Reality Sucks….read your own name…Reality does suck as I’m sure you do too. Lauren was shoved down our throats and will never be a Carrie Underwood. Carrie was never that bad or fat. Lauren cannot sing that well and with a chance will only turn into a Winona…looks wise that is.

Amber – Nobody really cares what “Amber says” so shut up

• Katie says:

Okay, dear, obviously you’re too young to spend time with the grown ups, so you should probably just go eat some dirt outside. We’ll call you back in when it’s time for Barney and then naptime.

• Stephanie says:

I just love Haley and was so hoping Lauren would drop out so Haley would get a second chance. Not that Lauren isn’t a nice girl and all, but you know…Haley was robbed. Shoot, so was James.

I did have to laugh at Haley singing “in my white hat and my top tie and my tails…”

• Debbie M says:

Repeat yourself much? You just posted the same thing on EW. While I agree Carrie can sing Lauren under the table, it’s not cool to criticize her weight. Not when you can comment on her hair, huge earrings and usually horrible clothes instead.

• MsCuda says:

This person posted the same thing on EW. This person is trolling for reaction, best to not feed the trolls?

• nal says:

oh gosh give her a break. no one said she will replace carrie underwood u idiot.

• Deb says:

Yes, Carrie is twice the performer this 16-year-old is, but that is to be expected.
      Are you really this mean spirited or are you merely trying to get a rise out of someone. If this is your real self, remember “you reap what you sow”, “what goes around comes around”, or karma, call it what you will, is coming for you.

• AnorexicOne says:

Thanks for your kind words, dear Reality person, calling a 16ys old a big fat toad is the answer to all the world questions, yes, she is fat and for people like you, girls w normal weight are starving to the bones. Guess what, i’m feeling like a fat pg & only weigh 100lbs in a 5’7 body, so THANKS, anorexic people, are eternally grateful.

• DearREality says:

SNAP! as a teenage girls mother, i find people like you so disturbing, get a zoloft and a Xanax, the girl in A>i is a normal size teenage, a pretty and sweet one, so back off, dont be such a bitch

• Tim says:

On the contrary, I thought Lauren really held her own. Pretty amazing for 16 iyam.

• Tara says:

I don’t think you can compare any of them to the polished amazing and svelte performer that is Carrie Underwood today. I’m not actually a Lauren fan but she isn’t all that different from the country-kid version of Carrie that we met during her Idol run.

• Holly says:

Except that Carrie was older when she won Idol, and had a far superior voice (then and now.) In all fairness though, I never voted for Carrie when she was on Idol. I thought her performance skills were lacking, and she never connected to the audience (similar criticism to Lauren this year.) Carrie was also much heavier on Idol, though she never looked overweight. She is way too skinny now – would look better with a few more pounds! Just goes to show what can happen when you work with professionals. No doubt Lauren will have a big career, but she is not the same kind of power singer that Carrie is and never will be. BTW, is it just me or did they slow down the tempo of the song? Probably so Lauren could keep up with the cadence!

• Sebby says:

Didn’t you post the exact same thing over at EW’s board and didn’t they rip you a new one over there, too??? It’s because of people like you that so many young girls succumb to anorexia.

• L says:

She didn’t look like a toad!!
      She looked fine.

• jennab says:

Yeah, I’ve done a lot of PR, and EVERY time there was some kind of contest or sweepstakes, we ALWAYS exaggerated participation. If these votes are not certified by some independent third party, there is no way they’re legitimate.

• meg says:

@Reality, are you some jealous 16-year-old? No need to call Lauren names. It doesn’t make her look bad; it only makes you look bad.

• Blank Slate says:

I’m not her fan, her friend, or her mother. But calling anyone, especially a female of any age, a “big fat toad” is a classless, pointless, rude way to go. Nice job unloading your insecurities on a classy website.

• Commn-sense says:

Carrie never looked and sounded as awful as Lauren. Lauren will bever be a Carrie…Toad might have been harsh…perhaps dumpling would be better.

• Max says:

While I’m not a fan of Lauren, I think it’s really rude to call her names. She is only 16 after all. She looks perfectly healthy and is quite pretty.

• Idoloonie from the start Kelley Clark(son) says:

OK…I think Carrie has a wonderful voice, and I think Lauren has a young wonderful voice. But I distinctly remember not liking Carrie when she was on AI. She always had that deer in the head lights look and didn’t seem to relate to her songs. She changed over her first couple of years of singing, these KIDS will too.

And please, lay off the weight, God did not build us all the same. It is not a sin if you can’t starve yourself to be accepted on TV. Healthy is better than skinny

• Bob says:

Douche. Troll. See, nice things can be said about you, too. Carrie Underwood was 1/4th the talent she is today when she was on Idol. Like her, Lauren, even without winning, will probably get a decent recording contract. With that, she’ll get the professional guidance and training needed, just like Carrie, and become a polished singer. The rest will be up to her and her management. She should seriously consider teaming up with Scotty in the future. Country loves duets.

3. Hrfe says:

Well first, why didn’t they let Pia have her own song? Or Lee? What the heck?! The first hour or so was so great and then they stopped having any contestants sing and it just went so down hill. Overall I am happy Scotty won. (Did it look to anyone else like Scotty kissed, like romantically, Lauren right after they found out he won? They were cut away for a longggg time).

• SA says:

agree — they definitely KISSED like kissed romantically…….and yeah why didn’t PIA get her own duet?!?

• Dina says:

No Pia duet – because they didn’t want people wondering why the gorgeous girl with the amazing voice didn’t win? On Twitter there were a lot of people viewing for the first time all season and many tweeted that they liked Haley (without even knowing her name). I’m still wondering what happened to Haley’s recording that was supposed to be tested on the finale. Uncle Nigel suckered us again? It gets tiring to be played the fool.

• charlie says:

I’d like to see someone put tar and feathers on Nigel’s ass and make him fly his egomaniacal self back to the UK. He disgusts me, especially with his judging on SYTYCD.

• ssc says:

Pia didn’t get a solo because she finished 7th. Nobody that far back in the pack gets a solo (even if you think they deserve it). Also, TPTB are not going to let ANYONE sing a “new” single before the WINNER’S album comes out. Then the number two will come out, then the rest of them will get their chance.

• dgman says:

ITA. I mean the best they could come up with is her being the punchline to the most shocking elimination? And with a tiara and sash! Really Idol? what an epic waste of air time!

• (!) says:

Honestly I thought the Shocking Elimination thing was hilarious and one of my favorite moments of the finale >_>

• Lana says:

I loved the shocking elimination bit and I loved the contestants commenting on the final two “babies”, that was funny. I just have a small question, am I the only one that thought Lady Gaga’s song while simulating sex was wrong for such a family oriented show? I know I’m old, but I wasn’t bothered by Adam’s song during the American music awards (in fact I loved it), but music award shows are more adult, I just have a problem when its done in a show well known for the children in the audience.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Count me in the “I’m not a prude but we probably don’t need that on American Idol” category!

• Katie says:

Yeah, I’m 27 and was pretty surprised that I had to keep my three year old niece distracted so she wouldn’t have to see all that mess. I love Gaga but honestly, I’d rather they didn’t invite her back next year rather than having to see her act out sex in front of millions of viewers, some who are quite young.

• Merrilyn says:

When I saw Lady Gaga’s performance, I was very glad that I was DVR’ing it for my 6 year old and 3 year old so I can FF through that particular segment when they watch it today.

• blingedup.susan says:

Agree. Too much for Idol.

• Jurybox says:

Lady Gaga’s performance was only one tiny baby step away from porn, but it was also only one tiny baby step away from previous performances on American Idol. Excuse me, but did we really need to see J’Lo shake her booty for the audience like a stripper? You know the culture is really getting degraded overall when this type of entertainment constitutes “mainstream.” It was not just last night’s performances, it’s been going on the entire season, i.e. – last week’s Nicole “Whoziwhatzit.”

It makes me pretty angry, actually, because I just hate the idea of Haley being pressured to perform in that kind of manner. Her duet with Tony Bennett was so much more entertaining than Gaga or J’Lo or Beyonce.

• Christina says:

Surprised that Pia didn’t get a solo

• meg says:

Me too.

• Blank Slate says:

It would have looked really bad had they let Pia have the stage to herself and not given the other finalists not in the top tier have a Moment. This is allegedly a fan-based competition (heavy emphasis on word allegedly) so if Pia went out, it was because of votes, not the producers. Giving her a performance slot would have been the wink wink to the crowd that we’ve all been looking for– that the producers really wanted her to go to the top, audience be damned.

• darcy's evil twin says:

It appeared the Top 5 finalists got solos. And I am embarassed to admit it, but I thought the “Most Shocking Elimination” schtick was amusing. Casey and James were rather funny – they’re quite natural in front of the camera.

• tomitweets says:

Everything Casey did was hilarious! Highlights were the vid bits, James with Judas Priest, Casey and Jack Black (singing my theme song…I am a Queen fanatic!), and seeing Tom Jones.

• Hrfe says:

I actually totally agree. I thought it was hilarious- but I still wanted her to sing!

• marie says:

Right you are, DET. Placement in the show has always determined who got solos on the finale. Pia simply did not finish high enough, deservedly or not.

• L says:

Yeah that was very funny, well done.

Although if you get real Haley’s elim was THE most shocking in Idol history I think since who else ever was given best song of the night for a few weeks in a row going in and then got canned? Especially when the only people beating you hadn’t done that once all season. If you logically think about it that was the most shocking elimination ever.

• Terry says:

Not really. You can’t call an elimination shocking when the contestant has been in the bottom 3 as many times as Haley was. It was the most disappointing elimination (for me) because I had become so very invested in Haley’s journey and I really wanted her to be able to complete the biggest comeback in Idol history. But in the end, no one was beating Scotty this year, no one, he had this won at his audition.

• Ablo says:

Yea . . . not sure the first hour was great.

• Debbie M says:

Lee?? Flashback to last seasons snorefest?

4. pattywilla says:

OK – I am happy with the outcome – some great talent this year. HOwever, PLEASE, new judges for next year!!!!!

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I know I said I’d never be back in the comment section, but I’m just So. Freaking. Happy! about tonight. I’ve wanted Scotty to win from Top 13 Week, and now I can revel in his debut album at Christmastime and see him and the other 10 on tour. Lauren will be okay; just give her a little time. YAY SCOTTY!

• Missy says:

SHHHHHHHHHHHH don’t jinx it. I will be ok without Randy, and even J.Lo but KEEP STEVEN TYLER!!!!!!!!!!

• zaza says:

I wonder if Steven Tyler will choose to come back. I have the feeling he is not too happy about being told whom to praise.

• Suncatcher says:

All 3 judges have re-signed on for next year. Glad to have Steven Tyler back! Randy and JLO need to go away. Shoo!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, thanks Suncatcher. Now I need booze in the coffee I’m drinking. Perhaps I’ll watch auditions and just tune in for the finale next season.

• L says:

Ugh! They did re-sign Randy and JLo? And couple that with NOT getting it that people are sick of the manipulations (since word is they continued them for the finale, which I did not watch, even after all the blowback) I have to say that I will not watch next season for the first time ever.
            And look how they left poor Lee out in the cold. What was up with that?

• forrest says:

Great auditions for Steven Tyler to present himself to America, but then the producers got involved and then everything became ‘beautiful’. His critiques became repetitive. Nothing was ever wrong once Lauren couldn’t handle negative comments. I don’t expect Steven back. JLo has too many benefits attached to this gig to say goodbye anytime soon. Randy, who knows.

5. SA says:

Not only did Scotty give a shout-out to Lauren, he said “we’ve been together since day one and we’ll always be together” — right after he kissed her on the lips!! Have they been dating this whole season??

• Hrfe says:

Glad I wasn’t going crazy and that actually happened. Oh my God like what? Remember when Ryan asked them about it and Scotty said they were like brother and sister… ew.

• Jason says:

Remember where they’re from!!! Brothers and sisters hook up all the time in the south!!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I have a cousin who married his stepsister, LOL. (They were adults when they met and were not raised in the same household)

• JBanana says:

if so, then he lied during the sit-down interview with Ryan a few weeks back. Not that I’d blame him for doing so, but why the heck would the show ask about that on air if they were trying to keep it a secret? lame.

• EvaneSam says:

Scotty telling a LIE!!!! What would Jesus think about that?! :P LOL.

• zaza says:

It’s okay, he kissed his cross after!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Heck, I felt like I needed to kiss MY cross after the Lady Gaga performance.

• Jason McD says:

The Lady Gaga performance was amazing. She is truly talented and has a great voice. Why is it so fashionable to bash someone that is popular? I’m so tired of it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Wow, no sense of humor! I wasn’t “bashing” her. Yes, Lady Gaga is incredibly talented. Hubby even thinks she’s very talented and he’s a country fan. Yes, she can sing. I like her music and I think her lyrics are quite clever; however, I didn’t think that performance/song was the best choice for what is supposed to be a family oriented program.

• Holly says:

Hey, Lady Gaga puts herself right out there and invites the bashing. It sells records and concert tickets! Which is a shame, because she is an extremely talented singer/songwriter, yet that is easy to overlook with all the over-the-top staging. I really didn’t need to see a Gaga crotch shot or simulated sex on top of a cliff during Idol. Yuck. Tom Jones and Tony Bennett were so much better. Note to Gaga – you can command the stage with talent alone!

• Owen says:

Casey lied about he and Haley. Cause from all reports, they are DEFINITELY doing it…

• darcy's evil twin says:

So there’s hope – they CAN be the next George Jones and Tammy Wynette. She can take his truck keys away so he can’t drive to the bar, and then he can drive there on his John Deer lawn tractor.

I’m kidding of course. Kinda.

• @galaga6846 says:

Watch out Casey and Haley (who were the original Idol couple, who lied about NOT being a couple)! I think that it might be in the clause they sign that they can’t date each other. But, being the hopeless romantic that I am, I was over the moon when Casey sang “…and you’re mine” to Haley, and I’m over the moon that Scotty is taking his girlfriend Lauren to the prom. Oooh, <3 (If you knew me in real life, you wouldn't believe I was saying this stuff.)

• Debbie M says:

God, can’t you just see the Idol Machine working on another Justin/Kelly movie starring Scotty and Lauren? Please no.

• Owen says:

I’d rather see a new Blues Bros film with Jack Black and Casey with Haley as the blue eyed soul chanteuse who comes between them…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Scotty can be the lead singer of “The Good Old Boys”, and Lauren can play the barmaid at Bob’s Country Bunker.
            The rest of the guys can be part of the Blues Brothers Band.
            And Pia can play the Carrie Fisher part. :-)

• meg says:

Jack Black and Casey – YES! Haley – NO.

• idol2011 says:

I think what Scotty meant by that comment is that they’ve been through the process together. They’ve probably been friends since day 1 and they will continue to be friends even after he’s an idol winner. Going to school together, both being southern country singers, and being the youngest in the competition is makes sense that they clicked right away. That doesn’t that mean they aren’t or won’t ever be together romantically, but I doubt that is what he meant those words.

• MrsFitzDarcy says:

LOL – I doubt they have time to date. And with Lauren’s mom there all the time … highly doubt they slipped in any hanky panky in mansion. Ha ha. (All in fun, folks.) They are very cute. I hope they will always be there to support each other.

• seattlejohn says:

according to an interview on another website Scotty said they were best friends since Hollywood Week and classmates still in high-school…that Lauren told him she was going to rain kisses on him if he won but it was all friendly joking around

6. WTF? says:

Wow, really?! I never spoil the finale (I live on the West Coast) by looking online, but this year I just had to know if I’d be able to stomach the two-hour show or not. Now I can watch and enjoy freely. Congratulations to Scotty, and can the Kristy Lee Cook curse please be broken now?

7. JVC says:

Well season 10 is over and for the 4th year in a row, a guy won. But scotty did prove himself worthy of and idol winner and wish him and lauren the best of luck. But still next season can a girl win please? The women problem was glaring this season as we lost 5 women in a row at the start of top 13.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I must say the women looked and sounded wonderful doing Beyonce’s music, and Beyonce always looks like a million bucks. I didn’t much care for Naima and Ashthon when they were on Idol but they both sounded great and they were clearly comfortable with this style of music and choreography. Karen Rodriguez, Thia, and Pia all moved and sang with more zip than they ever demonstrated during their Idol performances. It almost makes you think they were railroaded into boring or sub-par performances to either manufacture drama or make sure other contestants coasted through.
      Conspiracy? Nah…..:-)

• L says:

I doubt it. Haley only sang best song of the night every single week for like 3,4 5 weeks heading in and even she couldn’t make it. She couldn’t even make top 2 against the country vote. And Idol showed not an ounce of trying to help her. They were so desperate it had to be a country winner that they backed Lauren who ahd a lesser shot at it all then Haley. But Scotty just had such crazy support prob nobody could knock him off. So yeah we are doomed.

8. Jo says:

Lets face it. Lauren should’ve won. She has a much better voice and it’s a singing contest. Scotty’s voice always sounds the same. At least Lauren mixes it up a little bit, Although I still think Haley or Pia should’ve won (I loved that clip where they showed Pia in a sash that said “most shocking”)

• Hrfe says:

Wait do you seriously think this? What? I mean…. Lauren does have a lovely voice but she’s just not matured enough to be a successful American Idol. Even though Scotty is barely older he will be able to handle it a lot better. Besides, based on Lauren’s reaction to being runner up, she’s happy Scotty won too.

• chistosa says:

Sorry Jo. I absolutely disagree. Lauren was so inconsistent throughout the weeks. One week good, the next really off. Her emotions got the best of her and she missed more notes than many of the others. Scotty never butchered a song, not once. He was on key everytime. And he connected with the lyrics every time, Lauren did not have the emotional maturity to do so. The right one of the two won.

• L says:

Scotty was a lot duller to me. Lauren could do cross-over or pop or what not if she wanted to. I could potentially imagine liking something she did. He was also really corny and karaoke at times, even as recently as with Young Blood, which was a total debacle. He missed key at times too although he wasn’t way off often like a few others were so he was pretty solid generally (but he did sound strained when he tried to extend himself out of the tiny comfort zone).
        Emotionally I think he does have a better chance to handle it all though than Lauren and I guess he was pretty solid at what he could do.
        But he is definitely my least favorite of all the winners. Locked tightly into the form I least like of one of my least favorite genres. Looking back I barely distinguish one performance from another.
        He seems like a nice kid though and I certainly wish him well and I do feel bad he got stuck with suck a blank song for his first single.

• Name That Tune says:

Looks to me like Lauren & Scotty have a little teen romance going on. So she’s gonna be fine.

9. Joseph says:

The things I didnt understand about tonight Finale were these:

1. The most talked about contestant…Pia Toscano…got a whole 20 seconds of airtime tonight!! She shouldve had a duet with someone because she is the BEST singer on the show!!

2. Who the hell cares about Marc Anthony and Spiderman The Musical!

3. Beyonce performs twice on the show yet some of the top 13 contestants get screwed!

4. This finale could’ve been reduced to the last 5 minutes or even just an announcement on the idol Website because we knew back in the Top 6 that Scotty was going to win!!

5. BORING and PREDICTABLE!!! Just like the top 2!!

• dgman says:

@3 above…Way to go B. Get an Idol audience of millions but still don’t give them permission to do any of your songs.

• Ablo says:

Pia was only the most talked about contestant here — not most places.

• meg says:

Most entertainment sites that I visit had tons of stuff about Pia and her shocking elimination. Not just here.

• L says:

Yeah don;t know why they had a Marc Anthony there when they could’ve had a Haley+Casey moanin’ which would’ve actually been relevant.

Pia didn’t get a duet since she wasn’t top 5.

When all the girls sang I was surprised that Pia actually didn’t stand out. Only Haley sounded distinctive and really stood out above the rest in putting a little more into it too.

• meg says:

I thought Marc Anthony was one of the highlights of the show. Haley and Casey both had their moments on the show and didn’t need an additional song.

• L says:

Perhaps, although Haley only got less than two minutes for third place. Even with two minutes to do Moanin’ with Casey she’d still be less time than James so it would hardly have been out of place. And Casey would’ve had a straight no jokes song. Anyway, whatever.

• charlie says:

I started listening to Marc Anthony and quickly concluded the performance was crap and skipped it. I’d prefer if AI did what SYTYCD does on its finale: showcase the best performances of the season by the contestants and let them sing the whole song this time.
          To me that would be more relevant and more entertaining… and Haley would be on stage a lot more.. which would make me happy!

• dwizzle says:

Right on Joseph, BORING!!!!!! I didn’t know there was a show called American Country Idol.
      Bring on the new king X-Factor!!!!!!!

• charlie says:

I have appreciated the fact that Idol has brought to us so much great new singing talent over the years. But now that we have The Voice and with X Factor coming in the fall, I’d like to see AI go down the drain!

10. Kevin C. says:

Having Haley sing with Tony Bennett was a stroke of genius.

• Tusk says:

mabybe so but where is the new single we heard about for Haley? Bummer so looking forward to it.

• Teena says:

I loved it, but didn’t it seem like Tony lost his way about half way through and Haley covered until he caught back up? I think Jennifer was giving Haley some silent communication on that when it was done.

• L says:

Yeah I got the impression he got lost once or twice but it worked out. TOo bad it was sooo short. We barely got to see her! Least of all the top 5. But hey it was sweet and looked like she had an awesome time.

• Debbie M says:

He’s in his 80’s. I thought he did damn good for being that old.

• Teena says:

Agreed! I thought the whole thing was charming. My point was that Haley handled it like a pro.

• agrimesy says:

Haley’s poise on stage and with the media shows a maturity well beyond her years. When she started the season, she had many awkward moments, I think, but she has really grown since then. That’s not even to mention her vocal ability! Suffice it to say, I will enjoy being her fan.

• L says:

Oh yeah no doubt about that and it was covered over wonderfully and the whole thing still worked and was very sweet. They both looked like they had a good time.

11. Bob says:

Happy Scotty won – he’s a truly nice guy as evidenced by his final performance. They both deserve (and should have) really good careers. Can’t say the same for Ms. Attitude.

• Thalia says:

When you say Ms. Attitude, I can only assume you mean Lauren, queen of the eye rolling the only times she was ever criticized.

• Cataline says:

Ms Attitude was Haley. She shoved any criticism she got from the judges back at them, eye rolls and all. Lauren was very gracious after being crowned runner up.

• William says:

Yeah Lauren took all her pimping graciously, this is true.

• Billy says:

Amazing how the Haley haters won’t let pesky facts get in the way of their opinions.

• Cataline says:

Yeah, I’ll admit I wasn’t originally a big Haley fan. “Benny & the Jets” sucked. She tried too hard. But I actually grew to like her. I started liking Haley after Rolling in the Deep. Thought she did awesome with it. I’m a Chicago girl and even went to see her. BTW I’m a bigger Scotty fan, and I’m no one’s hater.

• L says:

Well you are someone’s hate with what you said above.

• charlie says:

Cataline is so full of you know what that her toilet backs up every time she uses it!

• Terry says:

Haley’s attitude was superb. To be put down as much as she was throughout the season and to stay strong and deliver several of the best performances of the season is something to be admired not criticized.

• anon says:

Oh please. She defended how MJ wrote his own song and rolled her eyes twice after Randy said on open mic he wasn’t rooting for her and that JLO said she needed to not sing a well known song (Adele) and then she failed because she picked a song that moved her (for what inspires you week!) instead of something well known (!) and then she told the next two that they did great because they picked a song that moved them instead of something well known!

Even your Lauren said afterwards the judges made her ill!
      Former contestants said the same.
      Even Steven Tyler said Randy made him so mad that night.
      Even the vocal coach, part of Idol, laughed at Randy’s comment and said it was a ridiculous joke.

She was so gracious each time she was in bottom and even made little jokes about it. She was often the first seen smiling and clapping for someone. etc.

12. meggie says:

I loved that Jack Black was at the end of the line of Scotty’s family and made a gesture like, “What? I don’t get a hug??” LOL

And what was up with that kiss between Lauren and Scotty? DUDE.

• Kristin says:

That cracked me up too. Not sure why Jack Black was sitting with Scotty’s family, though.

• Blair says:

Glad you posted that, meggie! I thought I was the only one noticing that out of the corner of my eye. Hilarious, but at the same time, not real cool. JB deserves more respect than that (unlike Randy who’s fist pump James intentionally ignored!).

• Vivian says:

I had to pause and rewind my DVR a couple time, and I actually had tears of joy, I told my husband afterward that THIS was the happiest moment for me this season..

13. Deb says:

A season that began with a lot of promise ends with a…thud.

14. salll says:

can i still vote for haley?

• Tusk says:

Yes. You can support what she does, post-Idol. I hope she gets popular enough to do a solo tour. Look forward to what she creates without the pressures of competion. I like what and who she has been influenced by, musically, so excited to see/hear her live.

15. Maureen says:

Favorite performance – tie between Casey and Jack Black and Haley and Tony Bennett. Haley sounded AMAZING!
    Least favorite performance – TLC. They were horrible.

I also thought the ladies were fantastic. They all sounded great. Overall I thought it was a good finale.

• Hrfe says:

I looooooved the Jack Black/Casey duet but Haley and Tony Bennet’s duet was clearly vocally superior. I also really liked Scotty and Tim McGraw’s duet. I have no idea what was up with the TLC performance. They were so zoomed out it was clear there wasn’t any live singing going on, right?

• Maureen says:

And Haley looked gorgeous. That dress was superb.

• Jennifer says:

I gotta admit, I was all about the Jack Black/Casey performance too…not that it was my favorite (and it got to be a bit too much when the chicks in the neon shorts started parading around the stage), but it made me laugh. I’m kind of bummed that they’re pimping Casey’s ability to be funny over his musical talent, I would have loved to see that bass one more time, but hopefully he gives us bassy-goodness in the future *fingers crossed*
      Haley’s duet was awkward and adorable and sounded awesome, and I really dug Scotty/Tim McGraw too. OH, and James Durbin! Really, they were all pretty sweet.
      The Tom Jones medley was the night’s winner for me, for sure!

16. RTW says:

Haley saved the season and for that, in my eyes, she’s the real Idol winner.

17. marie says:

The winners for me were Carrie Underwood, Haley with Tony Bennett, Marc Anthony (but not the missus), and especially BEYONCE – WHOOOHOOO, JLo, THAT’S how it is DONE!!!!!

18. Leslie says:

Congrats to Scotty and to Lauren—seems to me there’s a little more than brother and sisterly love going on there ;-)
    I didn’t get to see a lot of the finale because we’ve got major storms here in Ohio and the electricity went off twice (and the DVR takes like 10-15 minutes each time to boot up—grrrrr!) But what I saw was enjoyable, I was happy with the show and all the guests. Haley shined AGAIN! Casey was awesome in everything I saw him in—I missed the beginning and the guys performance, I’ll look for that on youtube. Overall, great show!!! Looking forward to next year!

19. Lisa says:

Entertaining finale, but:

1. Where was Aerosmith?
    2. Why did Beyonce sing twice?
    3. Why didn’t Pia get a duet?
    4. Why didn’t Scotty and Lauren sing a duet?
    4. Where was Jimmy Iovine?

• Christina says:

My thoughts exactly, well except #1, we knew the answer to that.

• Darsy says:

1) They dissed the show, declined to perform.
      2) Probably has that single to promote.
      3) Not enough time with the four ‘please buy my stuff’ performances they put on instead.
      4.0) I think Lauren’s voice hurt too badly, and given the choice to perform with Scotty (whom she’ll be on tour with, and whom she’s dueted at least twice before) and Carrie, she chose Carrie.
      4.1) No point to him once the results are out? That or he doesn’t have a single to promote so he didn’t get airtime :\

• MsCuda says:

From what I understand, Aerosmith (the band) didn’t support Steven being on Idol, so I doubt they’d want to perform on the show.

• Tusk says:

Perry said he was never contacted by the producers, besides one of them already had a previous commitment. Also, they didn’t have anything to promote so was open to maybe next year if they have anything to promote.

• Jan says:

I’m from the Boston area. We knew Aerosmith wouldn’t be performing. They refused. They aren’t exactly on the best terms.

The other bandmates agreed they would perform on Idol next year if and when they put out a new release to promote.

IMO, Aerosmith is Steven Tyler. It’s their loss.

• Billy says:

True, without Steven Tyler, Aerosmith would never have flown. Decent rock band, kinda’ dime-a-dozen, made outstanding by his distinctive vocals.

• Debbie M says:

1. They think Steven sold out when he joined the Idol panel.
      2. Because she can.
      3. Because Celine Dion wasn’t available.
      4. Widdle Wauren is westing her wocal chords.
      5. Jimmy who?

• amadeline says:

And where were all the other Idol winners/great performers? We hardly saw much of them this year and, even though I wasn’t a fan, you would have thought Lee Dewyze would have been on to pass on the crown (so to speak). I would much, much rather have seen Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox, Daughtry, David Cook, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard or Kelly Clarkson than Tom Jones!

• amadeline says:

I forgot to add – And why couldn’t they end the show within 2 hours? Why did they feel the need to screw up everyone’s TV schedule? I missed “the winner is” because of that (and the fact I didn’t care who won this year).

• Lana says:

I agree with your list of past Idol contestants that I would have rather seen than Beyounce or Gaga or Tlc but please not Tom Jones!!! He still makes me purr after all these years and yes I was a teeny bopper when he first came out, but that voice of his is still golden.

• sarcasmo says:

Lee DeWyze was sitting about 12 rows back, behind the Asian guy with the hair (he looked like Ming-Na).

20. Amy says:

Way too long. Got old in the end. For being the chosen ones, Lauren and Scotty were absent most of the episode. It always seems like it is more about putting on a big show to get ratings instead of celebrating the contestants. And yes, it did look like to me that Scotty and Lauren kissed. They have been together constantly for the past few months, so who knows.

• JBanana says:

I think it felt too long because halfway through, they just abandoned all the Idol contestants completely. The whole second half was just “superstar” performances. Which, even if they are entertaining, have nothing to do with the show. I’m watching to see the contestants.

• L says:

Yeah would’ve loved to see a Haley+Casey Moanin’ there. Give Casey a shot at a pure serious vocal and bump Haley from a tiny 2 minutes to 4. And yeah to be fare they could’ve given a few more minutes to the top two (as much as they seem a little questionable with how they guided them there and trashed down others) since it was their night. In that sense it seemed slightly light on Scotty and Lauren considering top two and Haley considering top three.

• L says:

Actually I bet they didn’t give the top two more time since Lauren’s voice was probably too injured to have gone on and done a duet with Scotty and all. As it was she had to be kept out of the group number.
          That is a shame.

• Mingyao says:

I think we enjoyed the majority of the first half because we were seeing the idols perform with the celebrity guests and just watch them perform again but for some reason they kinda forgot that this whole show was about the AMERICAN IDOLS which they kinda forgot about as the 2nd half went on. I loved some of the musical guests but I would have appreciated it if Beyonce did sing that stupid song she sang the 2nd time around. It would have given more room for say, Steven Tyler to sing longer. Probably would’ve seen more performances by the idols if they skipped that spiderman #

• meg says:

Beyonce’s 2nd song was horrible. It was like something that would come in last place at an amateur songwriting competition.

21. Julia says:

Would it be sacrilegious of me to say I liked the amount (or lack thereof) of Scotty/Lauren in the finale?

Loved the show overall. Very entertaining. James looked like he was in 7th heaven performing. Pia was missing in the featured
    songs. Odd. I loved Haley’s bit but wanted more.

22. tobias says:

so rachel and finn kiss and now scotty and lauren? monkey see monkey do!

23. joy derusha says:

Even though was not a fan of either congrats to scotty..overall a good finale..lots of energy and some good performances especially from the eliminated contestants..I saw that kiss to..mmmmmmm

24. chris says:

Scotty is going nowhere! Lauren should have won.

• Debbie M says:

Disagree. Scotty is going to have a huge career in country music. Country music fans are the most loyal fans out there. Check the stats for actual CD sales, not downloads. Country fans are still out there shelling out good money in record stores. Scotty will do very well for himself.

• darcy's evil twin says:

do tell. Michael Slezak dismissed Kristy Lee Cook’s album as a commercial failure but it broke the Top 10 on the country charts.

25. JRM says:

The finale made up for last night’s awfulness. I was thoroughly entertained. Absolutely hilarious; loved that the show poked fun at the shocking eliminations, judges, and the like. Not surprised Scotty won at all (I’m sure most people predicted he will win early on). He’s a good and talented kid. Wish him and Lauren the best.

(But Pia and Haley will always remain my favorites of the season)

26. FluffyBunnyz says:

First time in two years I’ve felt “good” about the result, even though I wasn’t invested in Scotty or Lauren winning. (maybe Scotty, a little). Congratulations to both kids, tho!

27. Jennifer says:

This Idol finale was top notch! Seriously, I think the only performance that I didn’t fully enjoy was the TLC number, and even that was okay (mostly for nostalgic purposes, but nevertheless…) I too was surprised Pia didn’t get her own number, but I’m pretty sure that her career is gonna start ASAP so I’m over it. I also feel kind of bad for Lee DeWyze. I mean, he may not have been the best…but homeboy DID win the show last year. Ryan could have given him a shoutout at the very least, or the cameraman could have done a close-up on his face so he didn’t have to photobomb every chance he got.

My personal favorite part of the finale? When the guys Carlton-Danced along to “It’s Not Unusual” PHENOMENAL!

28. Jan says:

Congratulations to Scotty on the win! I’m happy to see that the voters were not influenced by Idol’s tactics.

This finale focused more on celebrities than the Idol contestants. Much of the entertainment this year, (Nicole, Beyonce, Gaga)was not appropriate for all those young school aged children who do watch this show. They call this talent?

Best acts of the evening tonight for me were, JLo and Marc, Steven Tyler, Scotty’s duet with Tim McGraw, Haley and Tony, Casey and Jack Black…and although it wasn’t the best, it was still fun to see Tom Jones again. I had no idea he was still performing.

I think Scotty will do well with country music. He held his own with Tim tonight. I think Lauren has potential.

29. db says:

Ok, was it me or was Bono bad? Any hoo, glad McCreepy won he seems pure and real; glad LA didn’t cry….Was that Danny Gokey or Steven Tyler at the…refreshing to see the other contestants…poor Scotty has to release that terrible song..thanks Nigel

30. Princess Adora says:

They didn’t have Lee DeWyze perform, that’s so offensive! I know he hasn’t been a huge seller, but the man won! Show some respect! He was even sitting behind Ryan Seacrest and he didn’t even get a namedrop!

*simmer* Rant done.

I was hoping for Lauren just because I wanted a girl to win, but Scotty has been more consistent, it makes sense. I think he hugged everybody to distract from that awful song!

• Darsy says:

Agreed totally. Crystal may have been robbed, but it’s just wrong to have Lee not even technically visible during the finale.

Very clever about the hugging, I think you’re right!

• Debbie M says:

Not only did they not mention Lee, Ryan pretty much blocked him from being on camera. He could have stopped a row back and had Lee in the shot but no. Any sign of Mamasox in the audience?

• @galaga6846 says:

I thought that it was incredibly rude, the way they shoved Lee Dewyze under the rug. How awful. Things about this show make me wonder why I give it so much of my support. Maybe in hindsight, I should be happy that my favorite got 4th place. We shouldn’t root for our favorites to win, we all knows what happens when they win. Nothing.

• JayK* says:

I totally agree – not even a mention for Lee?? Ridic.

• charlie says:

Here’s what I would prefer to see in the finale:

1. Contestants repeating their best performances of the season and singing the whole song.

2. Past winners showcasing their latest music and discussing their post-Idol lives and sucesses.

That would make the show about AI and would be much more entertaining!

• larry says:

Yeah top five get their duets as they did but then the top three or four also do a full solo picked from whatever they want from teh season.

And they seemed to make the past Idol contestants almost like endangered species or something, even the winner from last year!

One other thing they didn’t have that big Idol gives back telethon this year did they?

31. Carol Brabbit says:

I think that Scotty was the best .He is a awesome singer.I just love his you Scotty!

32. Jennifer says:

What I wanna know is why didn’t Lauren sing with the rest of the girls during the Beyonce medley?

• Darsy says:

Given the choice between possibly losing her voice or singing with Carrie Underwood, I think she made the right choice, even though it meant she was mostly absent for the finale.

• Robin says:

My guess was she was resting her voice.

33. Mary says:

So Scotty won. Good for him. I thought all the contestants sounded good tonight. But Beyoncé sounded dreadful, especially on the last song. She’d have been voted off in the group round for singing like that.

34. Christina says:

Scotty’s win was written in stone since about top 11 so the result was probably one of the least suspenseful they have had. Good luck to him and Lauren. Who knows by the sounds of the post win celebration they might become a duo!

35. lesharon says:

What a boring couple of nights Idol. Seriously, the Oprah finale was better than watching this.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Is NOprah finally off the air? YAY!

• marie says:

Yes indeed. (Cue the “Ding Dong” song from Wizard of Oz. Never fould stand how she constantly interrupted her guests and wouldn’t let them finish a sentence. James or Jacob, arrogant? They would be rank amateurs by comparison.)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well butter my b*** and call me a biscuit! Yee-HAW! I hope she takes Gail, Dr. Phil, and her platoon of fitness and health gurus with her.

36. Christina says:

I find it interesting that Beyonce who wouldn’t clear her songs for Idol this year (according to Nigel on Idolonnies) gets two performance spots on the finale.

37. Tom K says:

Only thing missing was a Pia performance (I wonder if they had someone in mind to duet with her, and it just didn’t work out?)

• tomitweets says:

Logically, Pia could not have her own duet. She finished 9th. If she got one, then everyone who finished ahead of her would have had to have one too.

• darcy's evil twin says:

In my opinion they could dispense with some of the celebrity performances and have all of the contestants do solos or duets.
        I thought Jacob was VERY good tonight – that’s exactly the type of music he needs to sing. Loved the Tom Jones performance – my mom was a huge Tom Jones fan so that brought back a lot of memories of sitting on the front row at concerts and having poorly-tossed underwear land on my head. The guys looked like they were having a lot of fun. I was way impressed with Stephano on “Kiss”.
        My husband enjoyed the Tim McGraw/Scotty performance. And I enjoyed Haley with Tony Bennett, but like several people have aleady posted I think he forgot a few lines or something. Her dress was lovely, as usual.

• argo says:

They weren’t going to give Pia a platform. She’s had the most mainstream buzz so far and if she blew it out of the park … it would just get the talking started again.

38. deltadawn says:

As I was writing somewhere else… I bet that guy in Hollywood week who dissed Scotty after 3 seconds of Baby knock them doors… in group rounds must be feeling pretty silly right now. Karma!

• Joe says:

That was the first thing my wife said to me. His name was Jordan Dorsey and he’s a Praying Mantis moron.

39. patty b says:

When did you become so mean? I feel horrible while I’m reading some of the ugly, nasty comments you make. Too bad. I used to be a fan. I hope Melinda keeps her distance.

• Michelle R says:

What do you see that I don’t?

• Thalia says:

Um… can you give a direct quote of what exactly he said was mean in this article? Otherwise, you should probably post that comment in the article you felt was actually mean, because it’s not exactly a constructive comment here, when he’s just saying what happened without any judgment.

Unless you’re talking about people’s comments in the comment section, which is out of Michael’s hands. Not sure what you’re really responding to here!

• Slezak fan says:

What did you construe as mean, pray tell?

40. Debbie says:

What an awful season. What awful finalists. What awful judges. Simon Cowell please come back. All is forgiven. Worst top 10 ever. I guess those of us who can’t stand country are out of luck this year. Does Idol think everyone likes country? That’s one genre I’ll never understand. I’ve never cared less about Idol. The ‘talent’ this year is a joke compared to previous seasons.

• corey says:

the talent this year was fine- they were just screwed by the judges’ indirectly getting them knocked off the show with their “critique” and comments.

top 3 SHOULD have been: Casey, James, Pia

41. curry says:

So Scotty get the win and the girl. Did anybody notice how the little “friendship” between Lauren & Scotty seemed to expose itself for what it really is…2 kids that might have formed a fairy tale crush on each other along with the fairy tale ride to the finale.

42. suzie says:

Congrats to Scotty – I picked him at his audition. I wish it had been more about the top 13 and less about the celeb sols – a big fat commercial…..I would have preferred more celeb/top 13 duets like /tony and Haley…etc
    I also wish there had been a group number with all Idol alum winners or even all the Idol alum present. Better yet a CookWood duet.
    Good luck to both Scotty and Lauren. I hope Nashville welcomes them

43. Kim says:

Tonight solidified it… I have a girl crush on Haley Reinhart.

44. gale says:

Is it just me or did Lauren and Scotty kiss? Lol.

45. Templar says:

I’m guessing her voice is in need of rest. Since the competition was over, why damage it further?

46. Ken Adams says:

I want the past 13 weeks back.

• Blair says:

I’ve got an idea: If the next season proves to be like this one, I’d rather they select the top 13 and immediately proceed to eliminate all but the two they want in the finale, and save us any of the heartache from the investment we would otherwise have formed in our favorite contestant. Just cut to the chase, ok? ..better. (spoken in “Dr. Evil-ese”)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I have a better idea – sign the two contestants they want for the finale to record deals right after tryouts end. Get them out of the way. Then procede as usual – have the judges narrow it down to the Top 13 and let us vote from there – with actual critiques/judging.

• Blair says:

I have to say, Darcy, …I like the way you think :)

• darcy's evil twin says:

One more thing – install trap doors under the judge’s chairs. Every time they utter “that was beautiful”, “in it to win it”, “nothing to judge there”, “you’re beautiful”, “pitchy”, “we’re hard on you (and give everyone else a pass) because we know what you’re capable of”, or every time J-Lo starts a sentence with “Baby…”, the trap door opens and down they go to the basement!
            A few trips down the hatch and they might force themselves to say something useful!

• Blair says:

Perfect Darcy! Now all we need to do is work on arranging it so it becomes reality….

47. Paisley says:

Boring and predictable result, but mostly entertaining show. Could have done w/out the hiney-shaking of the fat-bottom girls dancers and J-Lo, though. Marc Anthony looks like he is really sick. Not in a good way. At least he sounded okay, though. Beyonce overkill; move over, Black-eyed Peas. Not enough Pia. Steven Tyler still has it, man. Dream on. Weird how Lauren did not sing until 2/3 into the program. She handled the loss pretty well. Will a female ever win again?????

48. marie says:

Ok, for everyone asking “Why didn’t Pia get a solo?!?!?!” :
    As Darcy’s Evil Twin mentions elsewhere, the only top 5 finishersgot solos. They have always given solos based on final placement on the show, and no matter who you or I or anyone thinks was the best singer of the season, it seems to me that that is the fair and reasonable way to allot solos.
    To give Pia a solo but not someone else who finished in a higher slot than she but not in the top 5 would not be fair to those “sklpped over.” I’d have rather seen a solo by Pia than by, say, Jacob, because I preferred her, but that would not have been the fair thing to do.

• David Low says:

Umm. but Casey was a top 6 candidate and was really voted off as number 11.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Then he was number six. I wondered about that – I wonder if he got a duet because Lauren didn’t sing as much as they had planned for her (due to her vocal problems).

• larry says:

Well he was a semi-chosen one. They didn’t want him to win but they wanted him closer than any non-chosen one.

And Jack Black had a movie to promote and Casey was by far the most obvious pairing there.

More sensibly would’ve been Haley and Casey doing moanin’ since Haley would’ve gotten more time befitting number three instead of least time and they could excuse Casey as number six in there as helping out Haley.

Although the Jack Black thing was funny so they really should indeed have had that but then also Haley and Casey too. Although then they give Casey a lot for number six.

• jason4500 says:

because Black Jack needs to promote his movie.
        and Jack Black+Casey Abrams makes more sense than any top13.

• marie says:

Ok, top 6 then – I didn’t check, but my point is, they still went in order – in other words, top 6 got solos, but if you also gave a solo to the 9th place finisher, Pia, you would also have to give solos to numbers 7 and 8, and no finale has had solos by that many finalists.

• emrom says:

In season 7 they gave Carly and Michael do a duet – the letter, if my memory serves me right. They could have done something like that on this season.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I posted this before but I think they should dispense with some of the celebrity performances and have more duets and solos by the finalists.

49. Sheri says:

I will admit to two things — (1) I am NOT a country music fan; and (2) I have watched AI since the beginning. Having said that, this was the worst season of AI ever! I can’t remember not having a favorite, not having cared who won, until this season. The most disappointing thing is that the season started out so great and so fresh, despite Simon’s absence, with lots of talent and enjoyable judge’s commentary. Last night’s final singing competition was not worthy of my DVR. I’ll probably watch again next year, but ask that the powers-that-be stop trying to manipulate the vote (allow one per customer) and give us some worthwhile judges.

• Ashley says:

I agree 100%. Except I probably won’t be watching next year. Too boring. And I feel used by all those people on the finale who are just trying to promote something “soon to be released”. Ugh.

50. Jen says: