Exclusive

Supernatural Spoiler: Season 7 Theme Revealed

After taking a dark and twisty turn during its noir-esque sixth season, Supernatural will tip its 10-gallon hat to another film genre in Season 7.

“We had everyone on the writing staff watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” executive producer Sera Gamble tells TVLine. “[Executive producer] Bob [Singer], [series creator] Eric [Kripke] and I were really hungry to capture some of that cowboy, outlaw spirit for Sam and Dean [next season].”

But who are the Winchesters running from? A recent press release from The CW reveals that Sam and Dean “will find themselves…up against a new foe unlike anything they’ve ever fought.” After what happened to Castiel in the May 20 season finale, we had to ask Gamble if the newly minted God is the Winchesters’ new foe. (Of course, the decision to take his portrayer, Misha Collins, off contract suggests Gamble may have other plans.)

“I would consider Cas, in the last few minutes of the finale, to have been transformed,” is all Gamble would say. The boss lady was more reassuring about Cas’ chances for redemption. “We try to be realistic about the fact that people on this show do cross lines that can’t be uncrossed,” she says. “But we examine those things in terms of Sam and Dean. They have a tremendous capacity to move forward. We always look for the chance to have redemption.”

Supernatural fans, what do you think about a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid-inspired seventh season? Hit the comments!

1. patricia says:

No plz plz bring bck Misha. He deserves it come on it will be so good to keep this going and going!

2. Donna says:

I am another longtime SPN fan who would be devastated if Cas is killed off or ruined forever. The boys need their angel, and so do I! The universe of Supernatural needs to be expanded, not closed in again to just Sam and Dean. I love them but it’s not enough for me anymore.

3. Cassay says:

I’d like I to go back to the basics of season 1 & 2 urban legends and Sam and Dean. Maybe introduced a new girl I like Bella and the original Ruby.

• D says:

Hell to the yes! The original Ruby played by Katie Cassady was awesome. She was hot and had this awesome bitchiness that was believable. The Ruby after that sucked and it just seems like they can’t pick a decent female actress after that. She was an awesome fighter. Can we have a female hunter that doesn’t dress butch and can still kick butt?

• descrime says:

Can we just have awesome female characters at all? That would be a huge improvement, seeing as they just wrote out Lisa, the last female remaining.

4. Jenni says:

Well i was reading the comments but there are far to many. So i am sorry if someone has already said this…. WAY to much angst; it was all to focused on one character- that was bothersome, Sam and Dean are the main characters not just one or other. >Yes i understand that the fight never ends but the characters need a break. season one was the best next to season 4. the laughs are terribly needed!> The ending of this season had me very unhappy. Castiel is a good angel and i say angel because i don’t believe angel blades can kill an arch angel therefore i don’t believe Gabriel is dead or Castiel a god. Yet Castiel needs to be redeemed in Dean’s eyes, as his socially awkward angel. someone has mentioned Castiel’s position to be the same as Sam’s because they both did it to stop a war. Castiel is just flourishing in his new-found power to realize his position

5. Tangie From Texas says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this show but please don’t get to far off of the original concept of the show..it’t about the brothers and their journey finding demons who went after their family. I liked the angels but I do feel it has gone on for to long. There are other things they can do such and the west stories and such…Just don’t forget the original formula it is and was a success.

6. Deb says:

What?! They didn’t renew Misha?? After that finale, how can they not? He’s a part of the Boys now, even if he’s transformed. I think he would’ve made a great foe. I’m a little upset now.

7. Angel says:

Okay.
    First the season finale epic. Second when the sixth season launched The producers said they were fasing out the Angel thing. And did anybody consider that Misha Collins wants more time with his son and wife. He isn’t being killed he is just going to be a guest star and not a major contendor.
    We as SPN fans should feel lucky CW and producers extended to us as fans 2 additional seasons. Way to go Sara Gamble, Eric Kripke, and the powers that be.

8. Haj says:

Supernatural is about Dean n Sam only, so as long as they are together and bonded in brotherhood, I’m more than happy,,,, any other character like Cas can come and go, but must not stay forever

• Melody says:

I don’t care of Cas does stay forever or if they finally kill him off, but the heart of the story has to remain about the brothers. I’m saddened by this direction his character has taken and I’d be sad if he died. Cas is a great character, cool to watch and fun to see them interact with, but he isn’t the show. I completely agree, it is about their bond, the one established since Dean carried Sam out of that nursery and carried through to Sam accepting all the pain and misery of hell and still carrying himself to that warehouse to fight along side his brother.

9. mitch says:

hey as long as you keep going with the show i wont have a problem with it and it kinda sounds good

10. Kate says:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? So, after this season of misery we can look forward to one where Sam and Dean die in a hail of bullets at the end? Dear Cas, doesn’t anyone know how to write this story without utter, utter misery and death as the only payoff? What, is this supposed to be character-building for me, or something? Geesh.

• obi says:

If you were an actual fan, you’d know that it was ALWAYS supposed to end like that.

• bedone says:

Oh, really? Always? Then what has been the point? I’m sick to death of people who think death and sacrifice is this amazing romantic notion and how all heroes end up. More than a handful of publishers won’t even read a manuscript that doesn’t have a happy ending. The resale value is practically nil. People don’t pay to be depressed. Maybe that’s why the ratings keep dropping and the fandom has shrunk to a fraction of its original size. Actual fans don’t care to stick around and watch their heroes die. Especially now that we know what’s on the other side, I can’t think of a more pointless way to have Dean and Sam end up. Your opinion does not make you an actual fan. Dying is not cool. Living is heroic.

• Kate says:

Well slap my mouth and call me Sally, and here I thought I *was* an actual fan, being as I have watched the show from the beginning and all.

But thanks, young Jedi (love your tampons, btw)!

• Dave says:

Seriously people you need to get your facts straight before you post on here. I have watched every single episode Supernatural since the first episode. The ratings have not dropped in fact they got bigger and yes dropped a little going into this season but it was very little and it’s on a Friday night! It actually gets great ratings for a show on the CW on Friday night. A lot of people just don’t watch it live and anytime there is a new epsisode it’s always in the top 10 downloads on Itunes so declining fan base I think not. Also there is no way back in it’s second season would this show had won a online poll to get on the cover of TV Guide Magazine but guess what?? It did it this year.

Also as far as that being a pointless way to end the story. Are you seriously insane? If you have been watching the same show I have been you would know that is the only way to end this show. It is a known fact that when someone dies saving other people that person is FOREVER known as a hero! It may not be right but that is what people have made it. A fireman rescues a little girl, he is a hero for a week or so but hey that’s his job (That’s how most people think not me.) But a fireman rescues a little girl and dies in the process he is again forever known as a hero! The news will cover it for months, etc. There will be a 1 year anniversary of it etc. So Sam and Dean dying in the end after all the lives they have saved and saving the world is not pointless. It makes them true heroes. Death is not how all heroes end up…It’s death that makes those people heroes. Them giving thier life to save others.

11. dda says:

actually, i think this show should change its title from supernatural to angeldiary. and focus on castiel story, sam and
    dean as guest characters as bobby.

12. Cristy Riders says:

Dont forget guys. Okay Sam did think he was preventing the apocalypse. But so did Castiel, all he was trying to do was prevent it from jump-starting it again. Also Castiel must have known that the souls of purgatory would be corrupted. Hell thats why they are in purgatory and not heaven. But maybe he thought he could handle it like sam thought he could handle the Devil in season five episode 22. Maybe Castiel might have the same case. He finaly controls it for a brief moment. Any how it would be funny as hell if Chuck was God and he came to punish Castiel. Just my opinion.

• Melody says:

The whole Chuck as God thing doesn’t work. Dean was wearing the amulet around him plenty before God warned that he’d stopped its use. Secondly, I have a hard time believing that the Angels don’t recognize God and Zachariah, Cas, and Raphael were all around Chuck. Heck, Zachariah even threatened him…that just seems WAY too unbelievable. It’s a cool idea, just not one that makes since when really examined and studied throughout the episodes involving Chuck.

13. Melody says:

I’ll miss Cas, but I’ll get over it. I miss John, but he’s dead and gone, and I got over it. I really miss Ellen, but again, she’s dead and I dealt. Cas isn’t dead, so at least you can all be happy you’ll still get to see some Misha, and he’s got that new web series coming out this summer. His story arc may piss some people off, but may I suggest you use your summer to go back and actually really watch season 4, oh and the last five or six episodes of season 5. Nothing about this change should surprise you. Watch the entirety of season 6 without hellatus and you’ll really see how this shouldn’t surprise you. It’s been building, it really has and the entire season was littered with hints. It may be a sad turn, but then again, who doesn’t love drama…this could be some really cool drama.

As for those who will no longer be watching because Misha isn’t a regular. Misha is not the show. The heart of the show is the bond between Sam and Dean. I like the periphery players, Castiel included, but it all still comes back to Sam and Dean. People are so upset about Cas’ “evil” turn they have totally missed the amazing feat of Sam. The man was experiencing severe psychic pain, reliving excruciating memories, and feeling every bit of torture and yet his love for his brother beat it all back (mostly) and got him there to help, support and be by Dean’s side. Now that’s love. People listen up: that is the heart of Supernatural. That is why we started watching in the first place.

Now about redeeming Cas. Cas needs to be schooled, not redeemed. I think the next season will include some serious learning curves for that boy, which will be refreshing because he has shown a remarkable lack of discernment. He needs to grow up, Dean was right he is a child, and we are seeing a child throwing a tantrum (oh they didn’t trust me…oh my father bailed on my) and on a power trip (and what a trip it is). He needs to be taken down a peg or two, and it’ll be fun to see it happen. It’ll be good drama and expect some cool action. As many have pointed out, they have all made mistakes, so redemption isn’t the issue, his lack of knowledge and understanding is. Oh, and being corrupted my 30 million monster souls.

As for next year, I am excited about what I’m hearing. I’m a bit embarrassed to say this, but I have not see “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.” Please, fans of Newman and Redford don’t shoot me. It honestly is in my Netflix list, so someday I will finally get around to seeing it. What I do know about the story and the whole idea of outlaw cowboys I think will work well for Supernatural.

So, here’s my support for my favorite show on TV: I’ll be watching and giddy about where you will take my favorite characters (all of them … even Crowley) next.

• Stace says:

A child who needs to be schooled? No, that would be disregarding all the brave, smart, courageous things he has done for Dean and humanity beforehand. Just like everyone on team Free Will, he made a mistake. He needs to redeem himself, but he is not a child who should be schooled.

I hope that Cas has a great redemption arc in season 7. I want the four of the guys back together again!

14. Willian says:

First people gotta stop treating Cas like human, he is not human and does not have the same rights as one. Cas followed the same steps as Lucifer, got told not to do something, rebelled, did what was not supposed to do and didnt trust his familly. Actually abandoned his family to be more powerful. Exactly the same as Lucifer. Cas is an angel and even tho he claims not to be anymore I believe he is still within “angel-law”). Angels are not offered second chances, no redemption. There is not hell or heaven for angels, so why should we expect Cas to be different. God gave him before a huge second chance when he was destroyed by lucifer, from that moment Cas was not the old Cas anymore, he thought he was ultimately right and now he has gone over the limit. Cas MUST die, the problem with angels is that they are not provided with love. I believe Cas will be the next enemy, the only difference is that a being so powerful would not keep itself locked to a human vessel. I am pretty sure he can just take whatever form he wishes now, that is why Misha Collins will not be back as a regular. Now how will Cas die? E-A-S-Y…. If god doesn’t stop him, which I don’t think he will, what will kill Cas is Death’s sickle. (It can kill anything even death itself.) Cas is the enemy now, his time of good cas was back there in season 5, now meet the new Castiel.

15. sylentsyrin says:

I TOTALLY AGREE with U! There has been sooo many deals,bargins and plans with sam& dean and bobby if U Remember(for his legs) & they all found ways around it. I love cas I dont want the show to be without him or have another actor play a role that is strictly Mishca’s (probably spelled wrong lol). He is as much of a part of this show as any of them. That would be like another actor playing sam or god forbid dean (yummy). Common excecs who u writing the show for anyways the fans or your ego’s.

16. MB says:

@Cheryl: Castiel crossed lines no doubt about that and made mistakes no doubt about that either. However he was working towards the same goal that Sam was ‘for the greater good’. Had he sat on his laurels and span his wheels then Raphael would have got the apocalypse back on track. It may not have been immediately but Raphael would have got it done. Both Sam and Castiel were working towards the same end goal; unfortunately they were getting played, manipulated and victims of their arrogance. It’s tragic and completely comparable.

17. Angie says:

I can only say it again: if the show had been only on two brothers choking on their feelings, driving around in a classic car and hunting ghosts, there wouldn’t even have been a third season. The side characters are needed. If they really plan on doing this season-1-again-thing, I just hope they do it well. I rewatched the first season and found it quite boring. I always had the feeling of missing something.
    It would be pretty damn foolish to take Misha off the show right in the first episode or make Dean and Sam try to kill him. That way they would lose A WHOLLA LOTTA fans (and that way viewer levels). That’s not how it works. So I’m pretty sure they will at least try to somehow please the fans. Looking back on the finale, they already did a kinda good job for the Dean and Cas girls.
    It may have been rather subtle, but the relation between Dean and his angel was easy to understand. I don’t think Dean would be able to kill Castiel because he still means a lot to him. He also looked kinda shocked when Sam stabbed him.
    What I would love to see is redemption, family, open emotions and of course a fan-f*cking-tastic happy end. Yeah, I roll that way.

• Confusious says:

I agree, the show leans on the supporting characters alot.But isn’t that the point… They need to keep new characters coming and going in order to keep it interesting. If Cas stays too long, he also runs the risk of becoming just another boring character. I love Cas’s character, but I think it is his time to go. Cannot wait to see which new characters they introduce, since all the old friends and places are not going to feature so much. CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!

18. Lauren says:

I love how so many people are talking about how the show was only about sam and dean. I always thought of it as being about FAMILY. meaning bobby and cas.
    and i don’t see why they had to tear dean and cas’s relationship to hell like that, i’d much rather cas have died (don’t get me wrong though, i love castiel) then him be “god”
    they made cas into too much of a needed character, to just toss him aside. what’s next they gonna kill bobby too?
    they have destroyed every one that was “family” to sam and dean, the least they can do is leave cas alone.

19. zoni says:

First season, the brothers (and dad) chase a variety of monsters, including demons.

Second season, the brothers still chase a variety of monsters, but they focus on demons, including the YED. Sam’s powers grow.

Third season, demons galore are unleashed from hell, and the brothers try to set things right and save Dean from his deal. Sam’s powers grow more disturbing, and Dean goes to hell.

Fourth season, angels and Chuck the Prophet are brought into the mix.

Fifth season, the brothers fight angels and Lucifer himself to stop the Apocalypse.

Sixth season, angels fight for control of heaven, and the brothers try to get Sam’s soul back from hell. Also, they deal with the alpha monsters and the originator / mother of all the monsters.

Seventh season?

It seems to me that every season the ante gets upped on what the boys fight. They’ve gone from monsters to demons to high-level demons to angels to Lucifer to the most powerful of all the monsters. With Cass declaring himself the “new god” at the end of Season Six, I can only imagine that in Season Seven we’ll see the ante raised again by Sam and Dean having to figure out how to fight a god-like creature (Cass), and I’m hoping that’s by dragging the “real God” (capital G) into the mix to humble Cass once more. ;)

I’ve liked the wild roller coaster ride this show has taken us fans on over the past six years, and I’m hoping that Season Seven will have more jaw-dropping moments as the writers continue to raise the stakes on what these two brothers have to contend with. Personally, I’m okay with Cass not being in every episode this season, as long as he’s not forgotten and the storyline eventually winds its way around to dealing with him (hopefully with redemption, but if necessary with a mighty spankin’ from the Almighty to get his head back on straight). ;)

In short, I’m looking forward to the next season! (Just please don’t have the boys dressed up in Western outfits all season! I live in Texas, and I watch Sci-fi and supernatural shows to get AWAY from Westerns! LOL).

• Danny says:

I kind of don’t like the Winchesters versus God theme. I am not a religious zealot by any means but I consider myself a spiritual person and it just seems like a plot in bad taste. I would rather they had used the Cthulhu mythology, there is so much stuff in the world of HP Lovecraft, the Elder Gods could try to take over the world since God has apparently left the building. I know this show doesn’t have a very good budget but for all the racing wisps of black smoke and white exploding light scenes, I don’t see why they couldn’t whip up some fish people or octopus tentacles reaching out from another dimension. Also more Rolling Stones music!! Loved that song in the finale. Big Rolling Stones fan here ;)

20. Danny says:

Castiel wasn’t the star of the show, people! I liked him for awhile but they ruined the character. The show needs to go back to its season one and two roots, self contained episodes is what this show is good at. The convoluted mythology is just annoying, I am so sick of Crowley and the angel battle and all this nonsense. The writers have such a nihilistic view of the afterlife and the supernatural. They make it like evil is the only power left in the world and there is no God and angels are evil. Sometimes the cynical tone of the show irritates me. I like when they do funny episodes, sometimes the people to hell, the Winchesters die, soulless stuff is draining. If there is evil in the universe, there has to be forces of good. That is the karmic balance of the universe. The writers seem to think that darkness and despair is all that is real.

21. obi says:

I’m here for Sam and Dean. Maybe the fans who hated the way they turned this show into a religious free-for-all will return, and if the people who tuned in after season 3 want to leave, PEACE OUT, WHINERS. This was never the Castiel show. It was ALWAYS the Winchester show, and if you don’t want to watch it now, thank goodness. I’m tired of the BS.

On that note, I AM gonna miss seeing Misha Collins on my television. He’s a fabulous actor, and I enjoy him. Just get rid of the lunatic fangirls who seem to think this show is all about him.

• Susan says:

As a veteran of this fandom, I don’t think any Deangirl or Samgirl or Wincester has any place to call other fans “lunatics”.

(For the record, I am a Samgirl with a huge love for Cas…. for all of TFW really)

22. Steph says:

To get rid of Misha/Castiel (and worse, senselessly roll the character in mud prior) would be for SPN to cut off its nose to spite its face.

Misha and Castiel both have brought in droves of fans and could conceivably take out even more with them. The character of Castiel has come to mean so much to so many, and it’s this threat of not even giving him a respectful ending that sees a nasty break-up brewing. Just look at how the finale’s inexplicable efforts at turning the good, honorable and self-sacrificing angel into a Big Bad went over…like a lead balloon. Bafflingly, the Winchesters have been written as increasingly dislikable in their reactions to Castiel’s predicament, and if this is how next season is supposed to continue, then all the characters I once loved will be gone. I don’t subscribe to the ‘Sam and Dean, Sam and Dean, SAM AND DEAN’ mentality, but even if I did, I wouldn’t be so happy about watching these ‘developments’ to their characters either.

In any case, if Misha’s role being reduced is an indication of Castiel being brought in every six episodes as an overarching ‘villain’ or an early premiere death, then it’s goodbye to the show for me.

I’m sorry SPN; we had a good run, but you’re not so hot without a nose.

23. Dejected says:

Instead of having the writing staff watch Butch and Sundance, Gamble et al might have better served the show with a careful viewing of seasons 1-3…a little reminder of what made SPN shine and work in the first place.

• descrime says:

I loved season 1 and 2, but season 3 was unwatchable. Every woman was called a bitch or a skank or a slut or a whore by Dean and Sam and it was treated as perfectly acceptable. It’s the one season that remains unwatchable for me. Totally agree that season 1 and 2 with their urban myths was the best, though.

24. Jess says:

Yes, I absolutely agree with many of the comments here but I need to be honest. I abandoned Supernatural mid season 3 and caught the beginning of season 4 on a re-run on TNT just a few months back. And I was HOOKED! I never realized how much I had missed and when I saw that the idea of angels were introduced into the show I immediately fell in love with the idea of a whole new playing field. Yes, Sam and Dean are my favorite characters along with Bobby but I absolutely adore Cas and I was heavily disappointed when I finished watching the season finale. I’m a person who loves plot twists, but this one just absolutely broke. I couldn’t understand why the writers took things this far and ultimately changed our idea of Dean’s angel. Yes, technically the two of them are not brothers but how else are you supposed to feel towards the person who literally pulled you out of Hell and brought you back to your family? If not a little grateful at least be a little respectful. I really dislike the path they pushed the character of Cas down and if they decide that he cannot be redeemed and brought back to the way things were before this whole mess if Purgatory, then I’m afraid that me sticking around for all of next season may very well be challenged. I would like to see all 4 boys return as each one has contributed so much to the series and I think that the loss of even one of them would be a true tragedy. Supernatural team, I hope you know what you’re doing. 

25. Angelo says:

Characters in a show are much like pieces to a really big puzzle. And we all know how extremely bad it is when you get to the last few pieces and releize, “I don’t have all th pieces” WTF? feels like!
    So how can the show be complete without cas?

In the years i have watched supernatural, I have grown to love this sow and i cant bare the thought that on day it will come to an end! Nothing my dear friends last forever!

So enjoy the show as is, with all it’s twist and turns, its ups and downs and in the end, anything they decide to do for this show will be understood, and well writen!

Here is my thanks to all who hve worked on “Supernatural” and all that stick by it to the end

“Thanks”

26. Aisha says:

I don’t care about Castiel going to dark side… in-fact I like what you guys did to his character in the end I am looking forward to season 7 I hope it would be more focused on Sam and Dean like the old times I want to see Sam and Dean killing some “evil sons of bitches” on their own without the help of supernatural genie(Castiel) ;) Season 7 is going to be fun I hope you never bring back lisa and ben though I hated the episodes with lisa and Ben and wanted to switch the channel but I’m loyal to Supernatural so I didn’t… Please Keep the show about Sam and Dean the brotherhood thanks

27. bedone says:

If they’re going for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, then I’m glad I won’t be watching. I only had a miniscule amount of hope that they’d get a decent ending, and now even that’s gone.

28. emma says:

cas should get a chance at making things right with him self and sam and dean coz dean and same have both one things that could be unforegivable but still get forgived anyway. sam with ruby the hole time he thort he was doing the right thing and he new what he was doing the same as cas he thort he was doin the right thing and it wasnt same as sam. so now the boys should get cas back to his old self have a fight about it and forgive! THERE FAMILY FOR F*%$ SAKE! and for the people that wright stop writing im not going to watch this any more well get over it people should wright that coz if the writers read this we want them to no how the fans feel with where there going with the story line and i cn see it already tht this season anit going to have as many viewers as last year coz cas isnt going to be in it as much stupid mistake if u ask me coz 10s of thousands of people love that chartcher probly more so if the writers wanna f*&% up there show then well its there own fault im a dean cas fan. and im guna be pissed if cas is hardly ever in it!

29. Raquel says:

The show has, and will always be about the brothers, and including Castiel in the show, has not changed that, so I’m afraid I don’t get the posters on here claiming otherwise. Don’t know what show you’ve been watching. Castiel merely expanded the supernatural universe, if there’s demons, then yes, there’s angels too. I don’t understand the people who argue about Sam centric and Dean centric, really it’ s you, who are ruining the show. Not Castiel, or the Angels. Sam and Dean should be allowed to have friends, and Cas. was the one Supernatural being who was their friend. The idea of God Castiel could be really done well, but not if it’s simply a means of exiting the character. Castiel is not some secondary throw away, he has become more than that. Redemption is a must, and I really want to see are old Cas back. Knowing Dean he’ll go to great lengths to save
    are angel Pal, as will Sam. Collins does not have to be a regular, but recurring, not guest star status I think would make fans happy.
    If I was to guess I’d say the boys would be running from Fates, or something that escaped purgatory. I’m sure they could use their celestial friend at some point. The thought of no Cas next season makes me very disappointed, no lie, I’ve enjoyed Castiel immensely, and I don’t think it will help the ratings to get rid of him completely. I think the writers are very talented, and creative, but
    if there was another reason for this, I have to say it’s the wrong call. Next season may be the last, so when all is said and done, I want to see Cas, the boys, and Bobby till the bitter end.

30. Pamela says:

Wow, I can’t believe I just read three pages of comments, lol. I do have a few things to add though:

First, I think we’re missing the point here when it comes to the Sam Train or the Dean Train. The writers have done an excellent job of drawing out in detail just what the roles of these brothers are to one another. Dean is the father figure. Sam is the younger brother that resented John and looked to Dean.

You honestly see Sam, as we know him, as a problem solver for a Dean problem? He doesn’t have the experience that Dean has. Believe me, those few years make a huge difference. We’ve experienced 6 seasons of Deans realm of morality and driving ambitions. He is the most family-centric of the two. And I don’t know how many of you are familiar with having older siblings, but that is their job.

The eldest always has to experience life first and then they spend a good portion of that life trying to protect or help the younger sibling avoid making the same mistakes that they’ve either made themselves or seen other make a hundred times over. I know, because I’m the youngest by two years and my older sister has always done this!

Second, characters like Bobby, Crowley and Castiel only add to the depth and scope of the story-telling. You’re telling me that would not like to see the writers further explore and modify all the ancient mythology as they have been since season 4 and especially in season 5 and 6? I mean, c’mon, that’s half the fun these days. You really want it to go back to them mourning John–useless as he was–and hunting monsters who seemed to exist without rhyme or reason? We only just now discovered where they all come from. I want to see more of that and I want to see the boys having relationships with other characters that, even though aren’t on EVERY episode, are reliable for the boys to come to in their time of need. That is why everyone loves Cas. He was there for them, helped them solve problems and eradicate baddies that they never would have stood a chance against.

And what about Crowley and Bobby? They’re just as important and I think all three of them create a great network of angst, family and humor. They’re all, in my opinion, integral to the continuation of this series. I’m not upset that Cas won’t be in every episode, but his character can play a role just as frequently as Bobby or Crowley and that could work swimmingly in my opinion.

• Jess says:

Again, totally agree here. You need them to support our favorite hunter brothers. As long as they don’t use this finale to simply cut off Cas then I will definitely give S7 a chance. 

31. KrysV says:

I dig Sam AND Dean AND Cas and I seem to be one of the few that actually enjoyed Cas going God. (I like it when good guys go bad, okay?) But the season as a whole was all over the place. Couple bad planning/writing with airing on Friday nights and I have absolutely no reason to keep up anymore. Not coming back next season, and it has nothing to do with Misha.

The people who are saying “I’m not watching if there’s no Misha” are pretty much on exactly the same level as the ones who are saying “I’ll come back if Misha’s gone.” It’s a shame you guys don’t get along.

32. Jessica Valure says:

Most of you are all for getting one thing, the show is not about Cas or any others its about two brothers hunting evil, and stopping it. So your comments about being mad just because they lied to us about him being a series regular who cares, don’t get me wrong i love Cas, but its not about him.

33. Ryder says:

It’s a good movie

34. Dee says:

Alright soooo I’ve read two pages of comments now and I must say I’ve never read any spoilers or anything really having to do with fans cuz its drama I don’t want. And I was right to stay away cuz this is crazy. But honestly I’m sick of the angel thing. And now cas is God…. that’s too much. But also I see the point that the boys just staying how it was in the first couple seasons would have gotten boring to stay that way forever. But all that being said…. I think some serious changes are needed cuz if the old would have gotten boring and the angel thing has just been played out too long we need something else. I would def not stop watching if cas was gone but if one of the brothers was, there would be no show so Idk how people say they wish they would get rid of one of the guys. That’s just ridiculous. But I am not ready to condemn a whole season based on speculation and fan rants. Idk how anyone can.

35. KK says:

I love this show. I say bring it on! ‘Course we all have our dreamy ideas as to how we’d like to see our fav show filmed…but I think the charecters kind of take on a life of their own, and they dictate to the writers what way it all goes down.

Anything that can dredge up emotions – Good, bad, or ugly – the way Supernatural does… makes it an awesome show.

Butch and Sundance rock! And if the brother’s have to go down- together is the only way. But then, there is a lot to be said about the old cliche ‘riding off into the sunset’and ‘happily ever after!

I’ll watch this show to the very end…and beyond!

BRING IT!

36. Raquel says:

The big joke here is that this past season was not Angel centric,
    there was Sam’s soul story line, and the monsters story, then it tied in at the end with the angels, Cas, and Crowley. Actually, it finally made sense kind of, it could have been done better. The soul storyline went no where, and Mother was lame. Your sick of the angels fine, but they were hardly in it this season, and might I add not everyone is saying they won’t watch, their saying that Castiel shouldn’t be written out, and be allowed to stay on the show like Bobby.

37. IAdoreCastiel says:

I`m 100% a Cas girl and I didn`t like the way they did him in the season finale. If Cas does some how get killed off in season 7 I will be really disappointed and sad but it won`t make me stop watching Supernatural.

I will always watch the show. And I will have to agree somewhat that the angel storyline was getting a bit boring. {don`t hate}I`d like to see seasons like 1& 2 again.

38. Chelsea says:

Castiel is my favorite character, next to john, & though I’m sad to see misha go… I remember why I started watching the show in the first place, long before he joined. Cas isn’t a series regular cast member of the show… just season regulars, atleast not compared to Sam & Dean. He’s only in 40 of the 126 episodes. For those of you who say you won’t watch anymore… Doesn’t that mean you’re not really a fan of the show, just misha? What if Misha wants a bigger break to spend more time with his family? Be happy he gets to. & they didn’t say he wouldn’t return for another season…maybe season 8, perhaps? if you stop watching the show now you’ll ruin the ratings & take the show off the air before given the chance to see if that’s the case… or before the show is given the chance to bring him back. & I know that a lot of you wouldn’t be saying the same things if they took Bobby off the show, but personally, i’d be more upset about that one.

39. fredd says:

supernatural season 6 was good and bad.the bad things were the cambells(that story line dident really go anywhere). also eve being killed off so early( they built it up to be some massive battle but she just gets killed off like any ordinary monster, i mean why even have that story line , i felt like they wasted the whole eve plot), and heres what i liked about the season, sam being souless for the first half( i mean he not only went to hell, he was also lucifers vessel, there are gonna be consequences, i’d be dissapointed if they diden’t do something like that)also i liked castiels story line( I think it’s about time his story started to come full circle,and im not gonna even try to predict what happens in season 7)

• Pamela says:

I so agree with you about Eve. She could have been way more sinister, played a larger role, but she gets smoked in pretty much ten minutes. Holy crap. And I thought she was going to be up there with Lucifer, and then it turns out she’s not that bad after all. Just wants Crowley so she can punish him for torturing her children.

I mean…really? I don’t know. I still have mixed feelings about this season, but I think it was pretty good. By far, my favorite has to be Edlund’s fourth wall tear down, lol. Loved it!

Still, we will have to see.

40. Melanie says:

I loved the soul-less Sam arc. I thought season six was great and I’m looking forward to season seven. I want to see the fallout from Sam integrating Robo!Sam and his memories from hell. I want to see Dean regain some joy de vie (finally) and I want to see a resolution to Cas’ dilemma.
    I really don’t have a good sense of where the writers are taking Cas, but if I had to bet, I’d put my money on an ultimate redemption, but hopefully not a quick and easy one.
    The only thing that worries me is the ending of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid – I really, sincerely hope that that is not the writers’ idea for the end to Dean and Sam’s story. (for a cliffie between season 7 and 8? Bring it!!)

41. manda says:

I believe that yes, the story line may have been
    a little Sam-centric, but Sam had maybe half the
    lines that Dean had. Sam often stood there making
    facial expressions while Dean did all the talking.
    I would like for more of a Dean-arc like everyone
    is saying, but also more lines for Sam so Dean isn’t
    always the one talking.

42. Bluec00kie says:

If Mischa Collins is not in season 7, I aint watching it. It would be like cutting both your arm off for the series.

43. Jen says:

I will be okay if Castiel is not in most of the season as long as he is redeemed and not killed off. Dean was always my favorite character, but by mid-season 4 Castiel was rapidly catching up and surpassed Dean by early season 5. I love Castiel and think it would be cool to see him become human and a hunter or something, but if he is off the show (hopefully not forever) it would be nice to get back to the old fashioned monster hunting like the first couple seasons.

What would be awesome would be the return of Azazel. That would give Dean and Sam a “mission” again. Season 5 was fairly depressing, season 6 was flat out disappointing (for me), so it would be great to give the show purpose again. The themes seem to be taking from the actual themes of the show – suspense, horror, drama. I hated the old west episode, partly because the phoenix was a person, partly the Back to the Future feel of it, and partly because I just hate westerns (aside from Red Dead Redemption). I’m all for comedy, but there seems to be a bit too much of that in season 6 (I did love The French Mistake though – too funny not to). Personally, I think the show is getting too gory and is becoming less suspenseful, just like most horror movies.

I was pretty upset that Ellen and Jo had died, then Rufus was killed. If the story has what I consider a bad ending for Castiel I don’t know if I care to continue with it. This is not the typical I-say-it-but-won’t-do-it thing, I’ve really had enough of CW’s ever changing schedule – advertising that shows will be on only to find out “no, they aren’t” because baseball is on, or another show. This is the last show I intend to watch on CW because of their “scheduling lies”. I want to stay with the show until the end, even have a special wine bottle that was given to me aging for the finale, but I have abandoned shows before (even if I did come back in time for the end just to see what happened). This show was special for me because there aren’t many shows these days that I can even stand. The last show I loved this much was Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and that too had bad episodes, but in the end was still a great show. Supernatural can be great again, but only with thought and properly planned out story arcs.

44. Taylor says:

The show needs to go back to how it was in the first season. When they actually hunted monsters. I mean i like all the mythology that’s come out of it with all the angels and demons and what not but I miss the good ol days when all the brothers had to worry about was hunting a ghost or a shapeshifter. This season had sone hunting in it but it wasn’t as good as it was in the first season

45. Veronica says:

I agree with you. I love Sam and Dean, but Castiel is the best Character for me. I think that Sera is makes a Big mistake. I’m so sad : (

46. Traci says:

I like the idea! Yes I love cas but come on its not a show about him
    Im super excited about season 7 and whats in store for sam and dean :)

47. Chelle says:

I don’t think I’m the only one who doesn’t understand what the theme for Season 7 really is and if you think about it, nothing has been revealed. How can you tell fans that Season 7 will be like Butch & Sundance when they’ve been comparing Supernatural since season 1 to a western and that Dean and Sam were really living like outlaws in order to be able to hunt and save people. So what was really revealed? Shame on you TVline for not asking more questions. Also Butch & Sundance were outlaws so what’s really the bigger picture here that describes what the season will really be about. I find interviews or articles that quote Sera, really don’t reveal anything at all. I remember when they described Season 6 as ‘noir’ and the movie LA confidential and is that really what season 6 was? Now she’s comparing Season 7 to Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid but what is that really? Can’t they actually describe the theme or storyline without comparing it to a famous movie? Maybe they really don’t know how to describe it because they are lost again. Or better yet can’t they create an original storyline and theme for Supernatural? Maybe that is why I was disappointed in Season 6 and Season 7 doesn’t sound promising either. All we know for sure is that Misha won’t be under contract for Season 7, so they really don’t care about writing storylines that would interject his character since they can’t count on Misha being available at their beckon call. I love Dean and Sam but I’ve also outgrown the MOTW episodes that only have them. I can take some of them but the deep connection for me is when they also interact with Bobby and Castiel and the other characters that Supernatural writers created at one time when they didn’t point out to fans how their next season was going to be based off of another persons creation. What a shame.

48. Morgan says:

I can honestly say that I really liked Season 6 up till the episode where they killed the Mother of All and brought Crowley back… That whole “plot-twist” was pointless and only served to diminish the character of Castiel and turn him into a villain, which was absolutely unnecessary! More over, the Lisa and Ben story line ended up nowhere, making me wonder what was the point of having them onboard all along, and, at least for me, Dean’s behavior towards Castiel’s deal was simply outrageous! The Dean we’ve seen for 5 Seasons would have given Cas the benefit of the doubt, if he really loved him like a brother… The Dean we got the last few episodes, and all the ‘twists’ and ‘turns’, looked like a bad fan-fiction to me… So I’m really hoping the writers go back on track next Season, because if they continue with what the last 4-5 episodes of this one were, I might seriously consider quitting on the show… And I’ve never left a movie, show, or book unfinished before!

P.S. Please know that all of the above is strictly my own personal oppinion and I do not wish to offend anyone by it! :)

• Pamela says:

I completely agree. Not so much about the fanfiction part, because there wasn’t any mpreg LOLOLOL! No offense to fanfic authors who right that stuff, but personally, Ew.

Anyway, what I agree with you on is Dean’s entire attitude toward Cas about the Crowley thing. War in Heaven is a pretty big deal. You think Dean would have offered to give him a hand with it and help Cas double cross Crowley, just for revenge sake, you know? How many times have the brothers worked with less than savory characters for the greater good? Too many times to count, I would say. I mean, it just felt extremely forced.

49. Wil says:

Great news about Butch & Sundance being the theme. It began as a buddy series and B&S is the ultimate in buddy films. Time the show lightened up, returned to brotherly banter, and let the guys smile their way through defeating evil. The unique chemistry of Ackles-Padalecki, which used to carry this series, has been so neglected in the past few seasons. One last season in which we are treated to heroes overcoming evil, rather than weepy pawns in angel games we are supposed to feel sorry for, would be a fitting end.

50. christine says:

Dean and Sam on the run outlaws, as long as the big baddie is not Cas.
    I’m sure this is just a smoke screen. People keep mentioning Adam so who knows’ maybe he’ll get out of Hell, I’m sure Raphael had a backup plan of some kind. Raphael wanted the souls, and if Cas didn’t take them, he would have. Cas felt he had no choice. I want to see Cas redeemed, and have him back helping the boys. Also, Supernatural has always had a lot of angst, and drama, it would not be Supernatural with out it. Lighthearted? don’t think so. Not what the writers are thinking. Personally, for once I’d like to see both guys trying to save someone else instead of having each other in peril, or jeopardy. It would be a welcome relief. Saving their friend Cas, helping him find redemption would be perfect, as part of the arc, hiding from whomever, that’s what I want to see.