Scoop: Dexter Snags Edward James Olmos

Battlestar Galactica vet Edward James Olmos has booked a major role on the upcoming sixth season of Dexter, a Showtime rep confirms to TVLine.

Olmos will play a brilliant and charismatic professor of religious studies. The actor joins recently announced Season 6 guest stars Colin Hanks and Mos.

The news comes a day before Dexter is set to resume production in Los Angeles.

Comments (21)

• Dexter season 6 is turning out to be a star studded affair.. Awesomeness!

Comment by jooshua – May 24, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. This cast is looking incredible. Here’s hoping Lumen doesn’t return…

Comment by Alex – May 24, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Lumen. I liked that Dexter didn’t have to keep secrets from her.

Comment by topoopon – May 24, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. Just awesome. Between this and Danny Trejo being cast in Sons of Anarachy, I’m in casting heaven.

Comment by Cameron – May 24, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we have a cross over with this and Mary McDonnell’s new show *Major Crimes* :))

Comment by Jess – May 24, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EJO FOR MALE LOVE INTEREST ON MAJOR CRIMES

This is such excellent news, two of my favourite actors back on my television again!

Comment by Jennae – May 24, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh for that to be true!!!

Comment by Jess – May 24, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually LOVED the Lumen story line. It really hit me. Watching them back to back On Demand made it feel really intense.

But this casting is AMAZING news! I was kinda “meh” about Hanks but this has me stoked!

Comment by Ashley – May 24, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YUK

Comment by jrs – May 24, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very, VERY positively excited about this :D

Comment by Amber – May 24, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • olmos back in miami, first the vice and now dexter, very cool, season 6 is looking prety good

Comment by bmo – May 24, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YES!! I will love this man forever for his Bill Adama.

Comment by Ruby – May 24, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show works so dang hard to make me watch it…..populating its cast with people I ADORE. FIne, I cave, I’ll go buy the 1st season and catch up this summer.

(For those wondering why I’m not watching, I have issues watching horror tv/film…I don’t like watching CSI :P)

Comment by PV – May 24, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dexter is way less gory than CSI! Don’t worry. It rarely shows much. When it does there is amble build up. I’m almost envious of you! You have so much good tv in front of you!

Comment by Nerdista – May 24, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gorey, oops!

Comment by Nerdista – May 24, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • “Gory” was right.

Comment by topoopon – May 24, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait…will this still allow him time to do the Green Hornet sequel? :-D

Comment by Bob – May 25, 2011 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 5 was crap…I’m keeping my fingers cross for S6. Love Dexter anyways.

Comment by Meera – May 25, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy (obscenity) (obscenity)! I never thought I’d say this in my lifetime, but with this news, Dexter officially surpasses ST:TNG as my favorite tv/cable show EVER! Olmos is a master actor.

Comment by amoree – May 25, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter snags Olmos? Please!!! Snags??? Olmos should be fanning down in unworthiness to a much better actor Michael C. Hall. I don’t know if it’s the guy’s face, his demeanor, or acting “disabilities”, but fk I hate seeing Olmos in movies! Now I have to catch the much anticipated 6th Season of Dexter, which is one of my top top top favs, with this “Quintilla!” This truly sucks. Hope he dies quick to get on with the 6th with an actor of higher caliber. Even the last season with Jonny Lee Miller who played Jordan Chase was a better option of the two bad picks. I even looked the other way with Shawn Hatosy, but freakin’ Edward James fk’n Olmos!!! Really? Oh and the 6th Season side kick of his… Colin Hanks??? WTF??? Could it get any worse!!! DIE DIE DIE QUICKLY! THE BOTH OF YOU!!! LOL C’MON SHOWTIME LESS CELEBRITY APPEARANCE AND MORE BEST SUITABLE ACTORS FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE SHOW! Mark my words it will flop on this rate and lose fan base appeal.

Comment by Noc – October 1, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Find some untapped talent! “No names” would be better than Olmos.

Comment by Noc – October 1, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post