Exclusive

Post Mortem: House Boss Discusses Finale's Controversial Ending, Life After Cuddy

Gregory House has been called many things over the years. Obnoxious. Selfish. Immoral. Demented. Well, after Monday’s House finale, we can add another adjective: Would-be assassin.

To recap: In the final moments of the Season 7 closer, an unhinged House smashed his car into Cuddy’s home, nearly killing his ex-love, her brand-new beau and other houseguests. Not only did the violent attack forever stick a fork in the phenomenon known as “Huddy,” but it upended viewers’ perception of the show’s title character. Yes, it’s fair to say House‘s Season 7 climax will go down as the show’s most controversial to date.

To help make sense of the craziness and to tease what’s ahead, series creator David Shore agreed to sit down for a quickie post mortem.

TVLINE | What was going on inside House’s head when he got behind the wheel of that car last night?
Those are the types of questions I don’t like to answer, and for very different reasons then I usually don’t like to answer questions from you. [Laughs] That’s a question that’s never simple to answer. The “Why” questions addressed to the characters are so complicated, and any answer I could give you would be too simple. And yet I’ll go on to say anger, frustration, love, hatred… all of those things. And a little burst of irrationality from the ultimate rationalist.

TVLINE | Fans are upset because they feel that this changes the very fabric of the show. Now instead of being a drama that revolves around a tortured doctor, it’s a show about someone capable of killing those close to him. Do you understand where they’re coming from?
I’ve always thought House was capable of killing people close to him. [Laughs] That’s not to say he was ever going to do it, and I don’t think he would. And even in that moment, I don’t think he wanted to kill anybody. But who knows? Probably part of his mind did. It was a lashing out — a very extreme lashing out. I don’t think it was a murderous lashing out.

TVLINE | But he could not have known that the dining room had cleared out.
He saw them stepping out, didn’t he?

TVLINE | I think they were mostly still around the table.
They were standing up and she put his hand on [the new boyfriend's] arm, which was part of the whole thing that set him off. The car was aimed at the house, not at the individuals inside.

TVLINE | So you don’t view this as anything out of character for him?
Yes and no. We always want to [reveal] little, tiny, different things in House. This is perhaps bigger than most, but I think this was always there. This was always part of him. Certainly we’ve seen anger from him. This was perhaps an irrational lashing out, whereas usually it’s a rational lashing out. But at the same time I don’t see this as a fundamental change in the character. Obviously it could be a fundamental change in the relationship.

TVLINE | Did Hugh Laurie express any concerns about the twist?
No. You’d have to ask Hugh about what his mindset was going in, but this whole thing seemed like a natural culmination of a frustrated man with certain repression issues.

TVLINE | When you were breaking the episode, did you think in the back of your head: “Well, this gives us a way out in case Lisa Edelstein doesn’t return”?
No. Not at all. That was never the plan. It happens to do that, which I have mixed feelings about.

TVLINE | Would you have done anything differently had you known going into the episode that Lisa was leaving?
Had I known going into the final dozen episodes that she wasn’t returning, I’m sure it would’ve unfolded differently. Having said that, it does allow [for Cuddy's exit]. I don’t really want to talk about where we’re going to go next season until [the writers] start meeting. But we’ll make the most of this. There will be opportunities that come from this. We’re going to get excited about next season.

TVLINE | Regardless of whether Lisa returns or not, is it fair to say the events of the finale spel the end of Huddy?
I think so. It was going to be it. I never want House to be a show that goes back over the same territory over and over again. I’m sure some of the viewers feel we’ve done that. [Laughs] But we really try not to. We wanted to explore that relationship in all the different ways we could. But we didn’t ever want to be a show about a couple that breaks up and gets back together and breaks up again. It was intended to be the end of that personal relationship.

TVLINE | You don’t resume shooting until August. Are you holding out any hope that this situation can be rectified and Lisa will return?

TVLINE | Would you be interested in bringing her back on a guest-star basis?
I would be. Absolutely.

TVLINE | Jesse Spencer (Chase) has yet to sign a new contract. Are you confident that’ll all be worked out and he’ll be back?

TVLINE | Will you spend a few episodes next season following Gregory House: Local Medicine Man?
[Laughs] That’s yet to be determined. That’s a possibility.

TVLINE | Are you approaching Season 8 as the last one?
Not yet. It may become that, but no. We’re not sure what’s going to happen. We’ve been on for a long time, and at a certain point you’ve got to recognize that the end is near and plan for it. But we’re not ready to make any commitments in that regard.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Exclusive, Finales, News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Jonas says:

“He saw them stepping out, didn’t he?”

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Tucker says:

He saw them stepping out from the time he turned from the house to get back to the car. What’s to say in the time he took to tell Wilson to get out of the car, for him to drive half-way down the block, turn around, and come roaring back down the street to slam into the house that someone didn’t come back into the room? House is many things but he’s not omniscient. Sure, the writers knew no one was in the room, but they can’t truly justify that House knew that for certain.

• alf says:

So driving your vehicle through your ex partner’s home, where four people are dining and a child could be running around, is a-OK as long as you take precautions? Like ‘Tucker’ said House is not omniscient. Believe you me, I am no Cuddy fan but I do think that whole incident was un-flipping-believable. Even a total shrew has her right to safety in her own home.

• D says:

No one said she deserved it. At least, no one worth listening to. I’m also pretty sure no one said it was acceptable behavior.

• Tamis says:

No. House didn’t see, House didn’t think about. He let his anger take care of the situation. Fact!

2. Kabby says:

A lot of words, but not much substance.

So, Jesse Spencer isn’t signed yet? Oh, right — they need to hand off his salary to the two sets of twins needed to portray the Taub offspring. Yippee!

3. Jake says:

You people are idiots.

I thoroughly enjoyed last night’s show. It was excellent.
    I am certainly looking foward to next season.

Maybe it is making you people think to hard? Sheeple usually want stuff easy to swallow…

• ekaJ says:

Most of the people’s reactions I’ve read everywhere online didn’t think it was up to par. They can’t all be idiots just because they disagree with you. Nor can they all be sheeple. Face it, most people didn’t like the finale much. The ratings were at a series low and you and Kevin and that other guy (unless you are the same person, which could be) mocking everyone’s feelings, frustrations and observations if they aren’t sucking up or positive just makes you look like a bigoted show “sheeple”. But whatever. The audience who watches this show is made up of a bunch of different people with different age ranges and IQs, backgrounds, etc., and they all come at t.v. & entertainment emotionally to an extent. The feelings they have aren’t going to be all rational or fair but if they’re the prevailing sentiment amongst such a wide range of viewers then that’s just the way it is, fair or unfair, stupid (by someone as lofty as yourself’s estimate) or not. But whatever you find constructive, man.

• Nami says:

So you found last night’s show completely logical and consistent, devoid of any need for explanation? And yet call others sheep? Oh, the irony…

4. Tvshow says:

I had already decided to not watch the season 8 but after this stupid finale and this interview with a such in denial showrunner, nothing could make me change my mind .
    I’m done but I’m sad too because this show has been my fav for 7 years but DS has destroyed all the characters and the show ! well done .

5. Jessica says:

Seriously?

Shore doesn’t want to go over the same things over and over again which means that if this isn’t a dream/hallucination that took place just after his surgery in 7×22 it means it’s real. And if it’s real it means House has lost his medical license, his career, his job, his reputation, his only two friends, and his freedom because you can only run from the law so long.

So…what is he doing to do differentials from Fiji? Where in hell is he anyway? Didn’t take long for man with cane to hop a plane to some other country now did it? Left his car tucked nicely into Cuddy’s dining room, left his apartment and all the things he has in it that he loves like his medical journals and musical instruments, and just went to some island with the clothes on his back.

Oh and Shore says people don’t change!?! Well done–because House changed from brilliant diagnostician to psychotic attempted murderer in just 9 episodes. Way to go Shore!

Thank you Shore for taking the best show on television and the most popular show in the world and ruining it. House and Cuddy aren’t even recognizable anymore to who they were in earlier seasons. The dynamic they once had is gone and so is a great part of the show. No more friendship, no more working together, no banter, no push and pull, no enabling, no laughter, no fighting, nothing. Their dynamic was important to both of them personally and professionally. Why couldn’t you just leave them as friends and colleagues if you were going to screw the show up like this?

Shore promised that this show would NOT go the way of other shows that put the lead characters in a romance, but in his quest to keep people who they are (House as House and Cuddy as Cuddy) he ruined it. House and Cuddy as a couple only got on some people’s nerves because TPTB made their relationship the main focus of every story. It didn’t have to be that way, it could have been evident in the background without “stealing” the limelight. I think Shore chose to do it the way he did so people would tire of it and would want it gone. It should never have been the sole focus.

What I want to know is how come Shore & Co could give us brilliance in the first 5-6 seasons but not in 7? What changed? Why did it change? Did he think that what they’d done wasn’t good? Because this bites. IMO he could fix this, he could give us better writing, make this all a friggin hallucination, bring Cuddy back and give House, Cuddy and Wilson stronger stories, not to mention bringing back awesome POTW cases.

I love the show because of the actors, they are awesome. It was Hugh, Lisa and Robert who kept me watching because they were just awesome. But now with Lisa gone now what? Hugh is going to have to carry the show because Bob won’t be around that much. And the writing? Oy vey. The writing used to be good and then I don’t know what in hell happened. The characters I see on my TV every week are no longer recognizable to me, just empty shells of what they once were. Such a shame.

6. Magni says:

I wonder for how long the huddytards will keep spamming,lol
    LE’s last episodes and no one cared, huddy and Cuddy ruined this season, obviously tptb don’t want her back and had to destroy the huddy crap. Let’s hope it’s not too late

• Tania says:

Um…LE’s leaving had nothing to do with Huddy. This may be your rationale in your anti-huddy puny little ingrate world, but LE’s departure had *everything* to do with contract negotiations. I believe her decision to leave caught everyone by surprise.

• Sarah says:

Huddy didn’t have to be ruined. The writers and DS for whatever reason decided to. Just watch, House/Wilson is the next relationship to go.

7. Kevin says:

Hello anybody can be a murder. They just need one simple push.

8. Tania says:

I’m all for differing comments, but there really is an appalling amount of INGRATES on this thread. They really love regurgitating their comically unintelligent comments. It’s become so sad…really.

• Kevin says:

Its funny because they are taking this show so serious.

• Nat says:

1) It’s a drama….not an animated short.
        2) You think people shouldn’t care so much, yet here you are replying to others with arguably the same zeal. You’re complaining about complaining. Pretty big effort for someone who isn’t so serious, don’t you think?

9. Bob says:

I’ll go back to my comment from the article earlier today. After that ending, how do you not start season 8 without House in jail? Or at best, on the run? Then you’ve changed the whole show (and what about the other characters?) Is he just going to come back to PPH like nothing happened? What the H were Shore and the writers thinking? Seriously, how do you continue the show after that ending???

10. Matthew says:

Today’s twitter hashtag…. #freehughlaurie

11. C. says:

Yeah, it’s really time to move on. I think season 8 will be cancelled like there’s no tomorrow. #RIPHouseMD
    I’m glad LE left this sinking ship.

12. nitemar says:

David Shore is an assh*le!

13. @richie_btvs says:

you know something wrong when the guy who created the show cant anwser why the main character of the show did what he did…
    too bad… house was so good…. he could have been killed in the car accident… that would be a good series finale…

i dont know if im being too harsh, but just like glee and supernatural i’ll be dropping house next season… im gonna watch the premiere just out of curiosity… but after that… unless they make house and wilson get married im dropping…
    soooo it was good to watch house(till last season)

14. Carina says:

Thanks God Lisa is leaving. Do you imagine what would she do in this show next season??? They screwed up her character, she hates House now, she is his boss, he almost killed her and her family, she has a new LUCAS 2 in her life (argh)…

THANKS LISA!

15. jjman says:

Come on, folks–I love House, but it’s still a TV show. House doesn’t have to “know” if Rachel might be in the room–it’s not real life, and obviously she wasn’t in the room. If you had actually watched the beginning, you would have heard Cuddy tell the cop that she had to call her mom and check on Rachel. But most importantly: House is someone we have seen (in random order) shoot heroin, set a corpse on fire, sleep with numerous hookers, risk his medical license by faking prescriptions for Vicodin, inject himself with experimental drugs, cut his leg open and remove a tumor, almost kill Chase at his bachelor party, leads his team to think he has syphilis, doses Wilson with amphetamines, etc. etc. And you say it is out of character for him to drive into a house? I don’t think so.

• MCO says:

It’s out of characters because your examples are bad examples.

If I recall correctly :

– He shoot heroin to himslef
      – Sleep with numerous hooker : self-destructives and not a crime and that harms no one
      – risk his medical license (etc) : key word : HIS, HIM, self destructive. It was against himself
      – Almost kill Chase : it was clearly by accident and medically insane because of vicodin. Since DS doesn’t want to redo things, here it clearly not the some reason.
      – Leads his team to think he as syphilis : No physical harms done to anyone. Lying about illnesses you might have is wayyy different than drive in someone house
      – Doses Wilson with amphetamines : He tried to prove a point for Wilson in his sick way. Criminal yes, but he knew that Wilson’d be all right.
      – Drive into a House : No way to know for sure how it will end, even if he knew that nobody was in the room, he didn’t know how the impact of a car hitting one of important wall would do a the house, it might collapse interely. It wasn’t self destrutive, it wasn’t because of an hallucination nor vicodin, it wasn’t a sick way to prove a point or manipulate someone into doing something for himself, he had no regrets doing that, DS said himself that he didn’t really care if he killed someone or not.
      If we read DS correctly, he has no intellectual motives or medical condition for doing that. And that is a first.

16. Dean says:

I’m sorry but David Shore lost all credibility with that excuse for a finale. He screwed up House worse than Tim Kring screwing up Heroes.

17. Sarabi says:

This finale was absolute bullsh*t. As well as David Shore’s take on it.

18. Dani says:

Yeah but to be fair it was clear that he felt some remorse for almost killing Chase. I doubt the corpse was too bothered as well. In all honesty there’s a clear line in the sand that’s been drawn between his predominantly ‘self-destructive’ antics in the past and him lashing out at the two people who’ve almost always stuck by him through thick and thin, and by doing so attaining some sort happiness. I just can’t see how he can be a redeemable character after all of this.

Regarding Mr Shore not having a clue what’s going on in House’s head, I’m sorry but that just doesn’t wash with me. As a writer myself I know that you have to understand the motivation of your character, regardless of the wackiness of their actions. This only confirms to me that what was once a fantastically intelligent and vibrant show is now chugging along like a driver-less train: nobody knows where it’s going, and everybody is clamouring to get out of the way. Such an incredible shame.

• Amandinha says:

“This only confirms to me that what was once a fantastically intelligent and vibrant show is now chugging along like a driver-less train: nobody knows where it’s going, and everybody is clamouring to get out of the way. Such an incredible shame.”

AGREE!

19. Karen says:

I am not a huddy I am house fan i gotta say the writing has been poor and the ratings recently back this last night season finale was shockinginly bad now I have to say this after hours would have been better for that DS belives his own lies its rather boring so I will not be tuning in next season the show I know is dead RIP HOUSE

20. Jane says:

Thank you for FINALLY mentioning Jesse Spencer’s contract status. I watch the show for Hugh Laurie but way every story has mentioned Lisa, Omar and RSL and ignored him and Peter Jacobson is insulting, not the least because I think Chase is a far more interesting character (and a better doctor) than Foreman.

21. claire says:

Well, it’s settled : I’m leaving the House next season !

22. Karla says:

I’m sad to hear Lisa E is gone especially after her wonderful performance last night. I will miss her and Cuddy.

23. Kim says:

They have to make sure that Jesse Spencer is coming back next season! Who else is there to watch? Foreman is boring, Taub is obviously nuts. Thirteen was never a fan favorte. If they team her up with Chase now maybe, but alone? Please jesse sign your contract and save us from total boredom!

24. Jack Bludis says:

I thought House’s act was inconsistent with his persona.

He would hurt himself, of course, but I do not believe he would hurt others and no matter what the “writer” says, he though there were people in that room.

Gong back to last weeks episode. He lost far too much blood to be conscious as long as he was. I’ve been there and done that (bled out) and I know that hallucinations come early.

I’d just as soon Cuddy stayed away. In her own was, she’s as crazy as unstable as he is.

• D says:

That was the point. The tagline “people don’t change” was being tested. And really, thinking about it, House failed. He’s been acting out all season because he’s right. He can’t change. House staying “consistent with his persona” leaves him a miserable wreck. Notice doing something against his very nature led him cracking a smile on the beach.

I honestly think people are hung up on the “what” and don’t care about the “why.” Especially with comments about people concerned for the safety of a fictional three-year-old.

• Derdriui says:

You really don’t understand how drama works, do you?

Characters are representational. However, if you expect people to analyse character motivations in this reality (rather than, for example, Star Trek characters without that setup etc.) then you have to understand that crashing in a house is an act that House is supposed to undertake in THIS reality, which means that there would be logical consequences and factors he would have to take into acount.

THINK. What’s the point of saying ‘HEY, IT’S JUST A STORY’ and then asking us to ask ‘WHY’ when you don’t admit what the ‘WHAT’ really was?

If you drive a car into a house, you do risk at least harming the people inside. He did not know there was no toddler in there. This is not people getting up in arms over Rachel’s safety, it’s saying that House would KNOW the logical consequences of such and act and why would he undertake it?

• D says:

Again, this isn’t something House would do left to his own devices. He was pushed to this. Of course he knew “the logical consequences.” But, as we saw, driving into a house isn’t logical to begin with.

25. ranger99 says:

That was a pile of crap hour of TV. How could HOUSE know that Rachel wasn’t below the window sill? Surely he would NEVER take the chance of killing a young child out of spite.

Total pile of dung – I just wish that FOX would have cancelled HOUSE and kept CHICAGO CODE – now that was one great hour of TV – totally opposite of HOUSE.

26. Tim says:

As someone that has worked with addicts can attest (and I do). What House did was very believable.

• Ana says:

I don’t have any experience with addicts, but I (and Wilson), noticed that he was taking a far higher dose of Vicodin than normal, even for himself. I don’t know if that could potentially affect his judgement or self-control, but maybe that is a hint as to what direction DS is taking. Otherwise, I think House has no defense, and his life will completely implode.

• Derdriui says:

Those addicts, driving vehicles into people’s houses, would they be lucid enough to go to jail or get carted off to rehab?

Either way, CONSEQUENCES.

27. Valkyrje says:

I really hope they bring back Lisa as a guest star, House without Cuddy just doesn’t seem right.

28. leonora says:

I don’t think that David Shore is acting condescending in the interview, even if he made a mistake with that final. People do that, they make mistakes, but why do you have to be all so bitchy about him personally? He made many good episodes over the years as well, and many patient interviews, and he probably never got as much appreciation from the viewers as the actors always do for example.

It’s really not easy to give a simple answer of why House did what he did, and I don’t think that easy answers are supposed to redeem the episode if you don’t like it anyway. If it seems totally OOC for you, what kind of argument could you’ve accepted anyway? It’s all supposed to be in the show itself, not in some afterward explanations of the writers.

I think that everything – even crushing a car into someone’s house could have made sense for a complex and unpredictable character like House, if many other details of the context and built-up to that were well-done.

I don’t think those details were well-done here at all though. If only they made it clear that House was certain they were not in the room (like if they got out of the house), it would have been far better. However, it still wouldn’t make much sense, because his anger, if directed at Cuddy, was insanely exagerrated and felt out of the blue. He told her “it’s not your fault” just a couple of scnees before and was about to make a final gesture of closure by giving her the hairbrush. Big deal she had dinner with someone, this wouldn’t change anything so much. House would have known that, it was just all made in a pretty silly way.

Only the very cranky, very dark way House acted all episode (all due to Hugh Laurie’s amazing acting) somewhat built up to that scene, but nothing else much indeed, unfortunately.

29. Jbs says:

Didn’t House drug and kidnap a soap star once? Give a gun back to a guy holding him and others hostage while drugging up 13? Take, without doctor’s approval, a patient at a psychological hospital to a carnival? OK with Chase killing a patient for political reasons? Send his employees breaking into homes? People who think he hasn’t been risking harm to others haven’t been watching the show.

• jjman says:

And let’s not forget: sticking a knife into an electrical socket to see what would happen if he was temporarily dead; faking brain cancer to get a drug-dispensing chip installed in his brain; injecting himself with nitroglycerin and then taking LSD; injecting himself with the blood of a sick patient; putting himself into insulin shock. Oh yeah, House driving his car into a wall is WAY out of character…not.

• Nat says:

He did all those things to HIMSELF though…not others.

You know what would’ve been in character? Throwing the hairbrush through the window. Not driving his car through the window with murderous intent.

30. maro says:

This has nothing to do with domestic abuse. It is rather a crime of passion. Great litterature is oftenly based on such passionate acts starting with Medea who kills her children to get at her faithless husband!
    Finally House reacts emotionally, as most of us wanted to see him do and suddenly so many fans get enraged. Why?
    And anyway, he always maintened that acts are more important than words. So he acts his despair at feeling betrayed and bereft.
    His half smile is evidence of catharsis and that he is moving on.
    It was a great moment for me almost joyous:
    Since season 5, although I was a Huddy, I had this feeling that Cuddy was repressing House, continuasly putting him down, mocking him and not really supporting him when he was going down.
    Wilson was the one sincerely trying to help

• Oscar says:

As a psychologist, this has to be one of the smartest comments ever and not just making excuses. Props to you.

• Carol says:

You are certainly correct, House running his car into Cuddy’s home was a crime of passion. But it still was a crime with murderous intent. The graveyards are filled with people who were murdered by people near and dear to them. It is not a secret that in any murder the person the police first suspect is the loved one.

House acting emotionally is not disturbing. It is a cathartic act I have longed for. However, attempting murder of the woman he loves seem wildly out of character for House. It seems a betrayal of the very essence of the man we have studied for the past seven years. That is why so many fans are repulsed and enraged.

• maro says:

He is not coldbloodedly attempting murder.
        The point of a crime of passion is that one is blinded by feelings and acts without considering the consequences.
        And it is usually out of character.

• tripoli says:

Exactly. People really need to stop insisting that he had murderous intent. Unless you write the show you have absolutely no idea what the real intent was or wasn’t. And since you all won’t be watching next season, I guess you’ll never know. Stop projecting your feelings as fact. Wait and see what happens come season 8.

• Carol says:

EITHER House was acting out of blind passion and could not therefore have calculated who was in the room or where they were when he crashed his car into it OR House was acting in cold-blood and therefore knew exactly what he was doing and how much possibly fatal damage he was about to inflict on Cuddy and her family. You can’t have it both ways.

Either way, House behaved like a homicidal maniac. Will there be any consequences for his actions? Past arcs like the Tritter, Vogler and Stacy storylines suggest not. Despite his proclamation to the contrary, Shore does like to repeat his storylines again and again and again.

• Nami says:

As much as I love Wilson, I have to say that he is not innocent when it comes to “putting House down” either…I mean, he calls House childish, self-destructive, selfish, etc at least once per episode. Wilson and Cuddy both mock him as he mocks them, but the important thing is that BOTH are there for him.

31. Oscar says:

Oh my god people, if you don’t want to watch the show anymore, just leave. Goddamn.

• Derdriui says:

No worries, mate. Look at the ratings. This is just a loud yell of anger before the process towards acceptance. You said you were a psychologist, right?

32. BadJoke says:

I suggest Shore to have a look at the reviews, ’cause I’ve never read so manu reviewers being so disappointed at his show. This is not Huddy related and fan’s aren’t crazy. This is just them unable to face the plain true: they screwed this season up, bottom to top.
    Have a look at Ocasio or TVTherapy if you wish
    Unless he really wants us to move on from his show, which I’ve loved and still care too much maybe about, I guess they all better stop being so stubborn about it and start do something to go back on trail. And those up there are not bad reviewers. They’ve always supported and loved the show just as much as we do. They are smart people which have noticed the same inconclusive, lame stuff we have been pointing out all season even if noone listened to us.

33. jjman says:

34. jjman says:

House is/was NOT trying to kill Cuddy. He saw the four weren’t in the room. House destroys the place, the physical representation of the happiness that he had with Cuddy and that she is now denying him. It is a symbolic destruction of a “house” that has all sorts of memories for House and also a symbolic destruction of the old “House” himself. Come on folks, it’s TV–read the text. It’s all a metaphor.

35. J. Norman says:

One more thing which has not been mentioned (well, maybe I haven’t read every comment).

Question: Will the rejection of this seasons last few episodes,
    1) Big tough House crumbles and runs back to Vicodan addiction
    2) Takes untested experimental drugs (which prove deadly)
    3) Operates in a bathtub on his own leg
    4) Becomes a hunted felon

Will this latter knowledge have any impact on the success of the already in syndication episodes? That is, will the syndication numbers dwindle because of negative fan reaction to this stupid season finale and episodes leading up to it?

36. JohnDoe says:

For the first time since House has been on the air, I can’t say I’m really looking forward to the return next fall, mostly because I was indifferent to the ending of this season.

37. missthefivefirstseasons says:

DS is arrogant and contemptuous, always have been, nothing new here. The thing is viewers can deal with that as long as there’s genius in the writing. It’s like House the character: if he wasn’t brilliant he would be despicable. My point is stop behaving like an obnoxious prick, your writing is garbage: nothing to be smug about…
    Who does he think he is?
    Was that supposed to be a finale?? “He drove into his ex-girlfriend’s house, trashing it, nearly ran over his best friend and limped into the sunset”.
    They trashed Lisa Edelstein’s character long ago and Jesse Spencer can be an amazing actor if given the proper script (The Tyrant) but now he just looks dead inside.
    Shore, even you have to admit the writing sucks. The quality that made House the great show it was for no more than five years is now gone. Shame on you.

• Jen says:

Agreed. They screw up 2 characters who deserved to be more explored, and they’ve done that cause “they want to”. Well, guess what, it sucks.

• D says:

You are reading into what isn’t there. There’s not a hint of smugness or arrogance in the interview. He thinks he’s a TV writer. Calm down.

• missthefivefirstseasons says:

Thanks for your opinion. He thinks he’s a TV writer? He should seriously reconsider.

I don’t care about any ships or whatever controversy people are dwelling on. “Huddy” or not, I don’t care: all I want is a compelling and well-written show. They have amazing actors, they have enough budget for marketing. All that’s missing is coherent and witty writing. House used to be the best show on air, now it’s a joke. The contrast between the season 4 finale and this one is tremendous. Is it even the same show? I understand that it’s tough to keep the same quality after seven years but come on; if you can’t, just stop the show. End it well and let it retain some integrity.
        I’m gonna stick with Breaking Bad and the Good Wife. These shows have writers who know what they’re doing and actually like their job -and their fans. Shore doesn’t. It’s pretty obvious. Oh, and I’m perfectly calm.

• D says:

So, you’re basically saying you don’t have any points to make and just feel like venting how much you hate House, David Shore, etc? Nothing wrong with that, but you could at least be honest about it. And yeah, he thinks he’s a TV writer because he writes for TV. You’re the one acting quite smug.

38. Dawn says:

Is anyone else here just as irritated with House (the character) as I am. I know it’s time to stop watching a show when I get irritated by fictional character! LOL

39. Jen says:

I’ll miss Cuddy and Rachel, I’ll miss Huddy alot.
    But, honestly, I like House because of House and I was very disappointed with the Season Finale. I was expecting alot more!
    I did look like any of the previous finales!! I’m extremely disapointed.

40. Jen says:

I meant “It didn’t look like any…”

41. C says:

The ending of the finale was the most ridiculous, unbelievable, moronic thing I’ve ever watched. The so-called writers were going for shock and awe tactics, mimicking the performance artist patient-of-the-week, but the ending was nothing but pathetic. Way to assassinate a great character, and what was once a great show. Someone needs to test DS’s urine for drugs. LE jumped the sinking ship just in time. I pity whoever renewed this for an 8th season.

42. Tania says:

Further proof that Lisa Edelstein’s decision to leave the series because of failed contract negotiations. It’s been reported on this very site that Christopher Meloni will not be returning to SVU next season. Another victim of NBC Universal (lack of) negotiations.

• tripoli says:

Or perhaps it’s the greed or the entitlement to be paid a ridiculously large sum of money. None of us can say for sure since we are not a part of those negotiations.

43. raiza says:

Mike, thank you for the questions, they were well thoughtout and show you are a true professional; unlike David Shore who can’t reply seriously as he should, in turn he is always deflecting and laughing out or answering without any logical explanation. He created this character and is killing him slowly. Too bad for Hugh Laurie who has given so much. But glad Lisa chose to move on. I know she wont be out of a job for too long. Looking forward to seeing her again! :)

44. HAPPY says:

I think House will come back strong in the Season 8 series. He just had to make sure he was rid of Lisa within himself. I think Season 8 will be better for House. Put me on the show, I’ll treat House right.
    The new Dean of Medicine > Thirteen < just a thought running thru my mind. House will get better in sweet time this new Season 8. I trust the Writers, Producers, Maybe more action outside the hospital. Like aan 18 wheeler accident on the Jersey Turnpike ? ? Just another thought, Get my drift. LOVE you ALL and House/Hugh.

45. Sandra says:

I am sure someone else has said this, but I am not reading every comment. First of all, Shore killed the show when he broke House and Cuddy up, and disregarded COMPLETELY all the freaking work House did in rehab! Two, I am going to pretend the show ended when House and Cuddy were happy. And lastly, crazy theory everyone has probably thought of: House is still in the rehab/mental health clinic dreaming all this up. Honestly even that would be better than what just happened. It makes me wonder if Lisa left because she was not ok with were the show is headed. We can’t be the only people that disagree with what Shore is doing.

• D says:

The rehab was not “disregarded.” House was clean for a year and a half. And House and Cuddy were never happy. That’s pretty much why they gravitate to each other in the first place.

46. Pete says:

I used to love this show. Season 7 has been lackluster to say the least. The finale was just stupid, stupid, stupid. The shows 7th season problem has been bad writing. BAD!!!! The Cuddy romance was ok. It really doesnt change anything all that much for him to have a lover. It certainly wasn’t hurting the show for Cuddy and House to be lovers. If you examine a similar character in literature, Sherlock Holmes was a lot like House. It was always the cases with Holmes. Likewise for House. So the writers have not been clever enough to continue with interesting cases, and put up all this relationship BS. Too bad. It had been excellent. Now the shark has been jumped. Officially.

47. Sue says:

I’ve been watching House since Season 1 and I thought I knew the character of Gregory House and I just can’t reconcile what I know of him with what he did last night. He acts like an ass sometimes but he’s never been violent – at least not to other people. I always believed that he had a good heart under all the selfishness and sarcasm. I remember when Stacy described him as brilliant, sexy and funny. That’s the way I always thought of him. Now David Shore and the writers have killed a much loved character. There’s no way back from attempted murder. The fact that no one was killed was just luck. The House that I’ve been watching for 7 years would never have endangered a child’s life especially one he had bonded with. He’s officially become a crazy lunatic who belongs in jail. I always had empathy for House and wanted him to be happy and now I just don’t care what happens to him and that makes me very sad.

48. Ari says:

Someone is still in denial. This is what happens when the ego takes over, and you lose touch with the viewer. When a monster truck seems like a good idea, you need to regroup. I mean the actors are wonderful, but have some mercy and throw them a little to work with.

Seriously, Shore thinks this is not a repeat of what has been done before? Moment of clarity, spiral out of control, whores, repeat. We get it. Enough gimmicks, cheap stunts and gross jokes about tossing salads. Obviously some of them are able to write a good episode, last week was great. Finale had no cohesive flow, and as usual it seemed as if all the writers wrote thier assigned scene on an index card and then shuffled it up to create the show.

Writing has declined as season progressed. What a waste of a great show. I hoped the writers could maybe pull it out with something equal to past finales. Not even close.

49. newbie says:

Laughing about changing his character…***facepalm***
    Yep, I’m done with House. It deserves to be pushed back an hour so that nobody pays attention to it.