Idol Scoop: Haley Reinhart 'Rehearsing' as Possible Sub for Ailing Lauren Alaina

American Idol‘s presumed third-place finisher Haley Reinhart “is rehearsing right now” as a possible substitute for finalist Lauren Alaina, a source close to the show tells TVLine.com. Alaina, who lost her voice earlier today, says the show insider, is receiving “medical attention” in an attempt to take the stage for tonight’s performance finale, which will air in less than 45 minutes on Fox. Reports of Lauren’s illness first broke on TMZ.com.

American Idol: The Top 20 Performances from Season 10

Within the last 30 minutes, American Idol‘s official Twitter feed sent out a photo of Alaina and fellow Top 2 contestant Scotty McCreery getting their hair and makeup done for tonight’s show.

The story is developing…

UPDATE: Ryan Seacrest’s latest Tweet points to the likelihood that Lauren’s show will go on: “Let’s get these trending – are you #teamlauren or #teamscotty? #idolfinale”

1. phill says:

i hope its not a joke cause im flippin

• Jessabean says:

Me too!

• MS says:

I think it’s just a publicity stunt after Fox realized that James and Hailey’s fans, a big chunk of Idol viewers, might not tune in.

• Tommy Tunes says:

Yep, the Fox propaganda machine strikes again. Also trying to stir up the “sympathy” vote for Lauren as they realize that’s her only chance against Scotty.

• oliver says:

What kind of American Idol business is this…. geeeeeesssss
          I agree..Im sorry, crying and plz be sorry for me if I make a mistake.. yea….
          I guess Im a fan for the best singer and the one who took the most crap…. HALEY….
          I would have told them… get James or Jacob….

• Dpw52 says:

I’m with you wasn’t planning to watch ( I’ve every season) but if Haley was going to sing I would and triple my votes this time

• what says:

whoa what??

• Dang says:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man my hopes soared like crazy for the last fifteen minutes only to be crushed again

• Lily says:

Yep, they’re now saying that Lauren ‘blew a vocal chord’ but will bravely sing anyway, blah blah blah.

• seattlejohn says:

according to post-show eastcoast bloggers on EW Lauren made it thru and Haley didn’t fill in for her

2. Steph says:

Don’t believe it… Pretty sure Lauren would rather stand on stage and not sing a note rather than hand it over to someone else.

• papoila says:

Actually, I could see her handing it over, so that she could keep her image intact and just blame the fact that she didn’t win on her illness for the rest of her life…

Hey, I’m fine with that, whatever brings Haley back!

• foxtrotter56 says:

Oh good grief, how shallow can you be. Lauren wants this just as much as anybody. Why would she not perform if she could, much less blame her “illness”. Grow up. Haley lost because she is a snobby, spoiled brat.

• (!) says:

For one, she really did not come off as that to me.

Second, that’s not why she lost.

• haley is my idol says:

Foxtrotter56, I guess you’re not really a Lauren or Scotty fan, if you think they got into the finals because of Haley’s personality and not because they were better singers.

• Joe B. says:

Wow, that would be awfully selfish.

• go lauren, from a haley fan says:

Why? She earned this chance, and there are people who would vote for her on the strength of her past performances even if she couldn’t sing tonight.

3. tith says:

Is this the best they can do to pull in last-time viewers in the most boring ass finale in history?

Haley should tell them SORRY, TOO BUSY RECORDING, KTHXBAI.

• But there’s not enough time to gain sympathy. It would be one thing for AI to announce she was sick earlier this morning or afternoon and have all the media outlets talk about it, and get some steam, but we are only talking about the last half hour here. I think this is a legit thing. If Lauren makes it through and gets sympathy votes thats one thing, but the ratings won’t be affected at all.

• Brittany says:

Oh, it’s Wittle Wauren the TRUE UNDERDOG who overcame her confidence issues and illness minutes before airing to triumph over Scotty!!!

• jules says:

Exactly. It’ll be all, Brave Little Lauren was this><close to dropping out because our poor little sweetie COMPLETELY lost her VOICE only minutes before we were supposed to put this show on! So we dragged Haley in and rehearsed her just in case, but GUT CHECK, it's a MAY MIRACLE because Brave Little Lauren has sucked it up and will go on!!!!! Oh, the DRAMA!!!!!

Like they could throw Haley in there with no songs and nothing to perform to somehow compete. PUH-leez. This is just a way to generate some controversy on the show and get some more votes for Brave Little Lauren when she stands out there and does the usual glazed eyes/"I have no idea what I'm singing about" performance.

• CandaceTX says:

does anyone (besides me) else smell a “ratings-ploy”?????
          This has nothing to do with Lauren or Haley.

Uncle Niggle has been reading the message boards since last week, and they have been overflowing with comments by viewers claiming that they will not be watching the very boring, very predictable, puberty-free Idol finale.

They all also monitor the iTunes performance sales for the season… and they see that James and Haley lead all songs purchased with 13 each. Lauren and Scotty? 2 each

Well, this is HORRIBLE news for their overpriced ad rates!!! So, how do we create some drama??? hmmm… lemme think…. [insert lightbulb moment]….

dun, dun, dunnnnn: the old ‘will she, or won’t she trick!’

*eyeroll*.

• Linda says:

Here are the totals out of the top 25 itunes:

1. Haley with 7 (including all three of the top three)

2. James with 6

3. Casey with 4

4. Scotty with 3

5. Pia and Lauren tied with 2 each

6. Paul with 1

• Lauren says:

Yep! Makes me want to vote for Scotty.

4. Javi says:

That would be legen…wait for it… DARY!!!!

5. Spycig says:

This smells of BS and a publicity stunt to get more votes for Lauren cos otherwise it’s gonna be a landslide to Scotty! Poor Haley – why drag her into the middle of this cos you know the haters will hate on her if she takes Lauren’s place…

6. agrimesy says:

Really? Nigel will stop at nothing for ratings. I’m speechless.

7. Wow. Go Haley, but Lauren not being there is a complete shame. No matter what the audience picked her to be there, I really feel so bad for her. I hope she makes it. There’s only 30 minutes to go, this is crazy.

• get better, lauren says:

Yes, this. It would be a horrible thing to get this close just to have bad luck snatch it out of reach. I would have loved Haley to be voted into the finals, but if it happens this way, it just seems like the universe playing a sick joke.

8. Merrilyn says:

Going to set my DVR now. However this pans out, it will be interesting. If this is Nigel’s attempt to get me to watch what I previously assumed to be a mind-numbingly boring final 2, it’s working.

9. Jenn says:

It’s not a joke, unfortunately!!! My view is Haley got voted out so she shouldn’t be allowed back no matter what! Honestly it doesn’t matter because we all know that Scotty is going to win. If they put Haley in it’ll be a slam dunk for him. You gotta feel for Lauren, she earned the right to be there, Haley did not.

10. Oso_jo_ro says:

as much as I hope it’s true, I HIGHLY doubt it.
    way too good to be true, and might cause people to hate on her.

11. Sandi B says:

They just knew that all the Haley fans were boycotting watching and voting…so this is to get us to tune in. As soon as we see Lauren perform…I’m hitting the power off button!

12. The Real Nigel Lythgoe says:

Literally, my prayers have JUST been answered.

• kt says:

hahahaha….your screen name just made my day. Uncle Nigel is probably in an office laughing his ass off in his very “The Voice”-like chair thinking, “They’re all puddy in my hands!” lol

13. Sean says:

Uncle Nigel is rubbing his hands together as we speak. What a sicko!

14. Jkap says:

THAT WOULD POSSIBLY THE BEST THING EVER

15. beth t says:

I’m SO betting it’s a ploy to get Lauren more votes and make some kind of contest out of the most uninteresting finale ever.

16. HaleyFTW says:

Hmmmm, trying to get the people who don’t want to watch Teen Country Idol back with the hope of Haley perhaps?

This season of Idol has turned me into a total and utter conspiracy theorist.

17. Stacey says:

Hogwash. People voted her out. Lauren probably is losing her voice. But no way is it fair for Hayley to compete. This is all to get people watching…

Lauren was photographed getting ready for the show in the last half hour. The picture was tweeted out by AI.

• flutiefan says:

my goodness, i hope you’re right. unfair wouldn’t even begin to describe it.

• Scotty all the way says:

nor is it fair for Scotty – who wants an American Idol chosen simply on sympathy….Sotty deserves to win hands-down over Lauren

18. Davey says:

What happens if Lauren can’t sing more than one song?

19. flutiefan says:

they couldn’t possibly say, “so sorry you’re not feeling well…we’re gonna give you 3rd place and let Haley compete for the title now.”

could they?

gag. get Haley out. she was voted out, there is no save, she should be done. the end.

20. Robin Lemke says:

I do not wish Lauren ill and I’m sure it would be devastating to be this close and have to pull out. But I’m not gonna lie – I’ll tune in to see if Haley shows up. Which is, I’m sure, exactly why this story was leaked…

21. tamara says:

this has evil genious Nigel written all over it.

If it is indeed true, I’m sure many Haley fnas won’t know about it and will miss it as they planned to.

Damn, I’m getting nervous. Now I’m gonna have to tune in. Geez!!!

This season is getting more and more ridiculous by the minute.

22. Sophie says:

If it were true, it’d be kind of unfair to Lauren don’t you think? I think even if Lauren is losing her voice, she should still get a chance to compete–instead of just taking a backseat all together. I think if they brought Haley back, it’d be more of a landslide for Scotty because I would assume Lauren’s fans would be voting for him instead.

23. JohnDoe says:

Why should it be Haley’s problem that Lauren can’t sing. Just delay the finale of AI, or declare Scotty the winner by default. Who cares anyways?

24. AMO says:

People that keep saying “cancel it and give Lauren a week to recover.” I would agree, but looking at the business side, this would be a HUGE loss for them. You know how expensive it must have been to get the Nokia Theatre, pay the judges (which they would have to do again) and the performances for tomorrow that they would have to cancel last minute to change for a week later. They have to have the show go on because if not, they will just lose money. IT is true that Haley got voted off, but she was in top 3 so she is legitimately the next in line that should get the shot for American Idol. It would be even more BS if they chose someone that got out in like Top 8 or something.

25. Lily says:

Crazy. Haley probably has to sing Lauren’s three country songs too.

26. nich says:

No way would TPTB let Haley go on instead of Lauren. I could see them holding the finale back a week before that. Or letting Lauren go on with her voice nearly gone but have the judges talk about how brave she is.

27. pepperelf says:

No!!! What a fake show!! First James Durbin lost out due to a very obvious problem with the voting tabulation. But even then, the people who have been voting VOTED HALEY OUT!!!!! I forsee lawsuits if Haley is brought back in. Better to let Scotty win by default! Get ready!!!

• Lauren says:

“First James Durbin lost out due to a very obvious problem with the voting tabulation.”

Um . . . what?

“I forsee lawsuits if Haley is brought back in.”

If people would like to spend their money on a lawyer to contest the finishing places of American Idol, I guess they should be allowed. I find it laughable that anyone not directly involved would do that. Their case would be what, exactly?

• Jessiekinsthinksyouredumb says:

You’re dumber than a box of hair. James was voted out because he can’t sing. Did you not hear him? He *can’t* *sing*.

• ashley says:

So you are saying people voted for scotty and Lauren not because they liked them, but only to vote against Haley? I always thought people voted for who they wanted to win, what is the number to vote against someone? If that’s how it works maybe I will power vote for a certain contestant tonight so that TPTB’s pre_deterimined winner “chosen one”(aka The One) will be voted out!

28. John Berggren says:

I’d vote for Haley to win.

29. MsMon says:

I’d rather see Lauren gasping and cracking through her songs then have Haley back. Or, just not watch. I don’t like her singing and especially don’t like her personality/attitude. She is not worthy of the title “American Idol”.

• r says:

and you’re a moron. the whole “lauren sympathy” thing has gone too far. obviously, TPTB have been pushing for a redneck showdown for the finale’ all season. re-watch the critiques they’ve given all season….are you serious? if they talked to lauren like they talked to haley all season, lauren would have broken down and cut her wrists back at the idol mansion a long time ago. don’t talk about something you obviously know nothing about. how the judges treated haley, how the producers gave scotty and lauren the better edits EVERY week…that’s the reason haley was voted off…if she WAS even voted off. personally, i think she may have just looked at the top 2 contract and told them where to shove it. you know how long these kids are going to be tied to Idol/19 after the show? how much money they’re going to be giving up out of EVERYTHING they make? way too much. pretty sure it’s like 7 years and 20%. plus they have absolutely no artistic freedom. they sing WHAT idol wants WHEN they want them to sing it. that’s a pretty crap deal. haley dipping out at 3rd place does nothing more than give her the freedom to make the type of music she wants and take the type of contract she wants. just because you are a hillbilly that likes listening to the chubby pageant girl and mad tv doesn’t mean everyone does. haley’s already got her first single recorded and may be performing it tonight on the show (wednesday, not tuesday). they offered her 2 songs that she’s refused already, and this third song, she liked, so she recorded it. she has a LOT more freedom, obviously, than the “chosen two,” which is a LOT better for her. meanwhile, scotty and lauren had to sing two of the most horrid crap songs i’ve ever heard. didn’t some other idol chick try selling the song they made lauren sing and it was a flop? hmmm….makes you wonder how long the country twins are gonna last in the biz with producers helping them out that just want to push old, beat up songs that have been proven failures. guess we’ll all see in a few months when haley’s topping the charts recording the music she wants to and idol has the “top 2″ selling their hokey renditions of old failed songs out of the dollar bin at wal-mart. oh, and by the way…haley can write her own songs…she already has a few. what kind of song you think a 16 year old’s gonna write? “i got my license this year,” “momma grounded me,” and “goin’ fishin’ with my pa?” real life experience there…i’m sure they’ll be touching a lot of people’s hearts.

• Jim says:

Speaking of being a moron …

You do realize that country music is the #1 genre of music don’t you? To all of the Haley lovers: where is this “rocker-chick” going to have her music played? 75% of the country doesn’t even have a rock station anymore.

Take a look at some of the 1st and 2nd place winners. David Cook, David Archuleta, Lee DeWyze, Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino, Jordan Sparks, Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox.

Where exactly has their career gone? Nowhere and it’s because they don’t sing anything that most people want to hear – not because they don’t have talent.

Now look at Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, and Kelly Clarkston (now that she’s moved into country). Yes, Kelly had some success in the pop world but music was different 10 years ago. They’ve been successful because of the genre they went into.

So is it really any surprise that Scotty and Lauren were in the final and that Scotty won? It had nothing to do with anything other than their singing style and how many more votes they pulled in from country fans.

I predicted Scotty as the winner after the finalists were announced. Love him or hate him, he’s going to make a lot of money. If you don’t believe that, then you weren’t watching his performances objectively. I’m not as sure that Lauren will ever be heard from again.

30. marie says:

What the…!@#!?/:#@#!?!!!! I am speechless. I really don’t know what to make of this.
    I guess we’ll find out in 15 minutes…
    THANK YOU for the scoop! SOOOO glad I happened to check over hete at TVLine…I really WAS going to watch the Mets game instead!

31. Andy says:

Stay strong Haley fans!! Anything on the show can be seen later on youtube or on blogs. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE RATINGS!!! We need them to feel our anger in their prized ratings!! Do not tune in *wash*rinse*repeat

32. flutiefan says:

i don’t care how sick i am, i would stand on stage and throw up before i let someone take my place.

33. leo says:

I have the feeling this is just a ploy by the Idol producers. They know that ratings will likely be down for the All Teen – All Country finale, and so they pull this out of their hat in an attempt to generate better ratings. At least those of us on the West Coast will have 3 hours to see what happens first.

34. noeladd says:

There is probably a clause in the competitor’s contracts that says what would happen in this situation. I remember hearing that if a contestant is unable to perform they have to forfeit so we’ll see what happen. Though I’m thinking this is just a ploy to get more viewers!

• Sean says:

You are correct. Contestants must forfeit if they are unable to perform on the day of the scheduled show. I’m sure they can bring in the last eliminated contestant And/OR (more likely) have no one leave that week.

This is all a scam. Screw Nigel!

• MEL31602 says:

Yes I do believe something about a clause or something else similar came up with regards to Casey and whether he’d be able to perform or not

35. Tani says:

This haley fan wont be watching and i hope all the Casey and James fans dont watch either. I assume the song that that will be their next single that they both have to sing which is usually some cheesy or bad pop song will now be a country song since We know scotty cant sing anything else but Country? I bet that the single will also be one of the worst single in AI history along with the F2. Their are other things to watch instead of idol tonight like finale of Biggest Loser the Voice and DWTS finale way more exciting then watching Scotty and Lauren tonight!!

36. Mingyao says:

I am more inclined to believe that this is just a stunt being pulled by the production to try to get the curious viewers in. Nothing would make me happier than to have Haley perform tonight but something doesn’t really sit right with me.

37. MEL31602 says:

Seacrest just tweeted this:

Let’s get these trending – are you #teamlauren or #teamscotty? #idolfinale

I doubt he’d be doing so if Lauren couldn’t sing

• HizzleT says:

#teamhaley
      Sorry but they can’t suck me back in. I’ve been burned every season. It’s nit gonna happen this time

38. Laurie says:

I hadn’t planned on watching the show, because I couldn’t vote for Haley. So sad . . . :(

Still won’t watch it, but I will make sure that I get the voting numbers, so I can vote for Scotty. I hate this manipulative stuff.

39. ladyhelix says:

In real world competitions (Olympics, Derby, -even high school tennis/golf/swimming) if a finalist can’t compete for whatever reason – the next highest scoring contestant always steps in. I don’t really see why would Idol be any different, I mean if this wasn’t a hoax.

(BTW – we don’t vote people “OFF” on idol, we vote for who you want to continue in the competition. But it’s easy to get confused – Ryan does every week).

40. marie says:

False alarm – it’s the country teens as planned.
    I’m gonna go watch the ballgame now – looking forward to Slezak’s recap later.

41. agrimesy says:

I’m relieved. Go back to the recording studio, Haley! This dopey show used your name for a ratings surge . . . a little brain bleach and you’ll be okay. I gotta hand it to Nigel, though . . . way to get them watching. This is a new low.

• marie says:

I’m inclined to think you’re right re the attempt at a ratings surge. Will they stop at nothing! Well, SORRY NIGEL! I tuned out as soon as I saw it was Scotty and Lauren as planned. NOT intereted!!!

42. Dang says:

I did feel really bad for Lauren but it seemed like somehow justice prevailed over all and I was riding high for fifteen only to get crushed. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Man if Haley had made it to finale one way or another I would’ve come back next year no matter what since it would show no matter what goes down somehow you can still make it.

Aghhh what a rollercoaster of emotions.
    For fifteens minutes I was suddenly thrilled as heck to watch it tonight and glad I hadn’t already gone out and caught the stunningnews.

43. RM says:

Nigel is Karl Rove! Guess he has a job lined up after these singing and dance shows go away. Idol is a multi-million dollar enterprise. You just don’t figure out who goes on five minutes before air. It is not a high school production.

• you've got it backwards says:

??? The higher the level of professionalism associated with the production, the better able they’re going to be to plan for every contingency, and the more prepared they’ll be to react to anything and everything, right up to the last minute, in order to put on the best possible show.

44. Ken Adams says:

Well, it appears the little one is going on. One Scotty song in and I’m ready to go back to watching paint dry instead of this finale. Nice try, Fox. Adams, out!

45. Octodad says:

Lauren’s voice gone? Whatever. Anything that gets me more Haley on stage is fine with me.

46. billybob says:

I was not going to watch and I am still not unless Haley IS performing. I will watch the tweets to see what’s up. If Haley is on I wii tune in. farque Nigel. Don’t mess around. Sounds like the act of a desperate man.

47. pepperelf says:

To Jessiekinsthinksyouredumb. James is great, Haley sucks and hahaha Lauren is singing anyway tonight. So Scotty will win. Why do you think American Idol made the first ever exception and paid for a “James Durbin Day” when only the top three were supposed to be paid for if nothing went wrong with the voting? Sorry, Haley is an obnoxious self-absorbed 20 year old. The world is full of really good and great singers. Bubye!!!

• pjp says:

Hey, pepperelf, every week on Idol, someone’s favorite contestant doen’t get enough votes and has to leave the competition. This means that those fans are left feeling disappointed and upset. The other contestants have done nothing to cause this to happen to the fallen contestant, so they are not to blame. No one said you had to like any of the other contestants, but James’ departure had nothing to do with Haley, Lauren or Scotty.

• Max says:

It amazes me how childish some James fans can be… Thank god I’m not James because I would be embarrassed that these immature and spiteful people were going around and humiliating themselves in his name.

• r says:

and you’re a moron. james was a horrible, screeching banshee who couldn’t stay on pitch for more than 2 bars of a song, then flew off into some unknown nails on chalkboard experience. your taste in music and in people must be severely jacked up. so you’re a supporter of “give metal a chance?” good, go sing some journey at the karaoke bar down the road…that’s where you’ll find your little james “turdbin.” the only record he’ll make is the guiness record for number of twitches during a performance. also, the whole “lauren sympathy” thing has gone too far. obviously, TPTB have been pushing for a redneck showdown for the finale’ all season. re-watch the critiques they’ve given all season….are you serious? if they talked to lauren like they talked to haley all season, lauren would have broken down and cut her wrists back at the idol mansion a long time ago. james? he would have flipped the hell out. dude is on some serious meds…you can’t talk to him like that because you never know what the little bastard will do. haley is the only one that EVER got any actual criticism on this freaking show. so don’t talk about something you obviously know nothing about. and it’s amazing how james fans somehow blame haley for him going home. he went home because he SUCKED and ran out of sympathy votes for being handicapped. bottom line. just like jacob ran out of sympathy votes for crying during every performance. haley had nothing to do with james going home, and if you had a single brain cell left, you’d realize that she wasn’t even the bottom 2 that week. blame scotty who was bottom 2 that week….or lauren who was bottom 2 the week before. nope, blame all goes to haley because james fans are jealous little homos. how the judges treated haley, how the producers gave scotty and lauren the better edits EVERY week…that’s the reason haley was voted off…if she WAS even voted off. personally, i think she may have just looked at the top 2 contract and told them where to shove it. you know how long these kids are going to be tied to Idol/19 after the show? how much money they’re going to be giving up out of EVERYTHING they make? way too much. pretty sure it’s like 7 years and 20%. plus they have absolutely no artistic freedom. they sing WHAT idol wants WHEN they want them to sing it. that’s a pretty crap deal. haley dipping out at 3rd place does nothing more than give her the freedom to make the type of music she wants and take the type of contract she wants. just because you are a hillbilly that likes listening to the chubby pageant girl and mad tv doesn’t mean everyone does. haley’s already got her first single recorded and may be performing it tonight on the show (wednesday, not tuesday). they offered her 2 songs that she’s refused already (and didn’t offer james CRAP…nothing…at all), and this third song, she liked, so she recorded it. she has a LOT more freedom, obviously, than the “chosen two,” which is a LOT better for her. meanwhile, scotty and lauren had to sing two of the most horrid crap songs i’ve ever heard. didn’t some other idol chick try selling the song they made lauren sing and it was a flop? hmmm….makes you wonder how long the country twins are gonna last in the biz with producers helping them out that just want to push old, beat up songs that have been proven failures. guess we’ll all see in a few months when haley’s topping the charts recording the music she wants to, idol has the “top 2″ selling their hokey renditions of old failed songs out of the dollar bin at wal-mart, and james is eating cheetos and picking lint out of his belly button then smelling his finger.

48. hmm says:

Watched just through first songs.
    Funny how JLo already gave a standing ovation out to Lauren (and it really did not sound like her best) and yet to Haley’s Led freaking Zeppelin she couldn’t bring herself to! Yeah bye Fox, heading out. (oh and I watched the first few minutes on something not tracked for ratings in any way shape or form)

49. Britt says:

Don’t care about Lauren’s voice but if Haley is in tonight, I am back to watching American Idol. If not, I won’t even turn on the TV.

50. well says:

Well Blue Jays-Yankees it is then.