Dancing With the Stars Finale Results: And the Mirrorball Trophy Goes To…

After all the twists and turns, pratfalls and pitfalls, sambas and salsas– not to mention an endless stream of headline-grabbing delights from the Kirstie Alley School of Tearstained Drama — we’ve come to the end of what may be the most epic season of Dancing With The Stars ever. Can it be? Say it isn’t so!

I’ve indulged my inner beast all season by kvetching non-stop about my string of DWTS pet peeves—um, Dance Troupe, anyone?—but in honor of our new Mirrorball champion (see below) and the close of a mostly sensational Season 12, let’s focus on the positives, shall we?

The Top 5 Best Moments from the Dancing With The Stars Finale:
5. Chris Jericho’s snarky Bruno impression (“I don’t understand half of what you’re saying, but I loooove it!”) rivaled his spot on Len for putting the paddle holder firmly in his place.

4. The Wendy Williams DWTS parody–with Wendy interviewing special guests…Wendy Williams and partner Tony Dovolani, and dissing Chelsea Kane (“I couldn’t tell who wore more eyeliner though, her or Mark Ballas”), Kirstie (“a bawdy brawd”), and Tony himself, was snarky fun, if a tad too tame.

3. We got the beat, baby! C’mon, what an embarrassment of diva-riches this season, with a season-ending stretch over the last three weeks of Adele, Stevie Nicks and ’80s lady legends the Go-Go’s gracing the ballroom stage. I’ll claim amnesia regarding the Macy’s Design a Dance aspect, but to see Belinda Carlisle and company in prime time celebrating the 30th anniversary of their signature album Beauty and the Beat? I fell in line!

2. Forget stone cold Tom and melt my frozen heart, season 12’s cast of stars! The sight of the memorably hapless Wendy Williams, Mike Catherwood, and Sugar Ray Leonard returning triumphantly to the ballroom floor unexpectedly warmed the cockles of my ticker, long after they were deservedly given the heave ho. Unconditional love really does exist. Who knew?

1. Perfection alert! Chelsea and Mark beautifully revisited the Viennese Waltz. Kirstie and Maks’ inaugural cha cha cha got a second hip-swiveling go ’round. Hines and Kim went for a festive samba redux. And all three routines got tens across the board from  Carrie Ann, Len, and Bruno. Charity or not, who cares! That’s what I call paddle power.

Honorable Mentions: The Black Eyed Peas’ light-tastic “Don’t Stop the Party”; season 3 heartbreaker Sarah Evans’ stirring “A Little Bit Stronger”; Catherwood in pink knee highs during a faux-audition tape (Psycho Mike sure knows how to play the self-depracating card!); and Romeo’s inevitable Twitter plug.

With that, let’s launch into the ultimate moment of truth — tonight’s results. And the Mirror Ball trophy (based on a combination of the judges’ scores for the dancers’ Monday- and Tuesday-night performances, and viewer votes cast immediately after Monday night’s broadcast) goes to…

3rd PLACE
Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas

RUNNER-UP
Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy

MIRROR BALL CHAMPIONS
Hines Ward and Kym Johnson

“Starting the competition, I never thought I’d be in the finals. I owe it all to Kim, she’s an amazing teacher,” said a gracious Hines, who joins fleet footed luminaries such as Donny Osmond, Kristi Yamaguchi, Robo Brooke Burke (can it be?), and Jennifer Grey on the DWTS champions list. “I want to thank all the fans,” concluded Hines, before lofting the famous mirror ball over his head as the camera panned to a sea of cheering Pittsburgh Steelers fans going bananas for their hero.

But we can’t conclude without a parting word from my girl: “It’s like the most extraordinary adventure I’ve ever been on in my life,” said Kirstie, before adding “I love Maks” and grabbing her man for one last, long embrace.

And with that, it’s your turn. Did seeing the Go-Go’s send you head over heels, too? Were you shocked that Chelsea and Mark didn’t make the final two? Was Maks a little less than gracious to Kirstie in his final speech (“I don’t only have words for Kirstie, but I have words for the previous 9 partners that I had, this is the 10th trophy that I got…”)? And lastly, do you think Hines was indeed the best dancer this season? Sound off in the comments, and let us know in our poll if the right couple went home with the mirrorball trophy! –-Mitch Rustad

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Dancing With The Stars, Reality TV, Recaps

1. Katie says:

Chelsie & Mark were robbed—Kirstie & Maks should’ve placed third.

Glad Hines won, but the other two placements were ridiculous.

• Patty says:

Amen siser–PREACH IT!!!
      C+M were HANDS DOWN the BEST. I think the deck was stacked in favor of Hines from the get-go…yes, he was a good dancer (& should have placed 2nd to C+M), but Kirsie shouldn’t even have been in the final 3…Ralph really deserved that spot, IMO.

• Captain says:

Agreed. Chelsie was robbed but I can’t say I’m surprised. I knew going into this that she didn’t stand a chance against a super bowl winner and a Hollywood actress, their fanbases were too strong. I guess people prefer names over talent.

• LeSo says:

I have to admit that I have a general bias in favor of Hines, but I struggle to see the dancing ability in Chelsea that everyone else sees. For one thing, Mark’s choreography consistently forced the audience to focus on HIM. How could anyone really know how good Chelsea is if you’re focused on Mark the whole time? Secondly, when I actually was able to turn my attention to watching Chelsea, she always seemed to be out of sync with Mark, or she was lacking any kind of personality or flair for the dance. I might be in the minority here, but I just don’t understand what was so special about Chelsea. At the very least, I have to give her credit for putting up with Mark’s ego for so many weeks! His attitude was horrendous this season!

• Genie says:

Chelsie placing 3rd proves that they never should have pulled that American Idol type manipulation with the “winner takes all” 15 points that put her in the top 3 over Ralph, and over scoring her on several occassions. She was a good technician but she didn’t move me and I am sure many others felt the same. Hines was great from the beginning, he improved and he lit up that ballroom. His win is well deserved.

• Donna says:

I’m with Katie. No way should Chelsie and Mark be 3rd. They dominated Kirstie and Maks every week in scores.

• Allie says:

I totally agree with Katie

2. maria says:

PittsburgH… with an H. Just sayin’ ;)

3. linda says:

just glad they did not have haley R to vote off or they would have..tongue in cheek!

4. Blake says:

Kirstie and Maks 4-EVA

5. Dbalcer says:

I loved Hines shout out to the Bulldawg nation too. We were voting for him.

6. HM dallas says:

I think it ended up as it should have. Chelsea was a good, but she is a young, in shape, disney star (you have to dance and do choreography to be a disney kid). I believe the show is about who is not a dancer and proves themselves. Who came in and had to work the hardest to get where they were. Hines was not expected to be so good & he had no dance background. and Kirstie was heavy and 60, damn she overcame. I don’t like it when dancers win, I am for the underdog.(no offence Jennifer Grey, but you were the dirty dancing queen and your Dad a famous dancer, of course you were better than the other stars)

Am I the only one who gets that?

• Lime says:

Absolutely not! I feel the same way. This is the first season in recent times where I felt like it was back to the “origins” of DWTS – famous people who don’t know how to dance, learning to dance! I hate it when they throw a ringer in there (I’m looking at you, Nicole Scherzinger and Jennifer Grey, especially), so when this season started and everyone seemed to be on the same level I was excited.

7. Terri says:

I think Chelsea and Mark should’ve won, Hines and Kym should’ve had 2nd and Kirstie and Maks should’ve taken 3rd. I adore Kirstie, but I really want Maks to have an amazing partner next season so he can finally win. He so deserves it!

8. Su says:

I wouldve liked to see Maks n Kirstie win.. seriously.. shes 60! and boy did she work hard ..
    Chelsea – Agree with a post above – the girl was fab (and I LOVE Mark B) but she was and is in shape, working with Disney she has danced again.. Hines and Kym were good too.. again he’s in shape and was actually pretty good from the begining.. again just my opinion..

Random I cannot stand Brooke Burke though.. is it just me? she’s awful.. didnt like her when she was dancing either..

was it just me or was this season better than the others..?

9. a. burch says:

i wanted chelsea to win, but would have been happy with her placing 2nd. i just don’t think kirstie was quite good enough almost, but not quite to place 2nd. also for those who say that it made sense because chelsea is young, in shape and works for disney so she dances and it’s supposed to be about those who don’t dance. she has barely danced in any disney show or movie, the only time she danced in a tv show or movie was bratz, and it really wasn’t that good of a dance, it wasn’t supposed to be since she was the mean girl in the movie.

10. postsalot says:

Oh wow, the football guy won. I am shocked. This is so surprising.
    Who would ever think a macho football player could dazzle and amaze the dancing world.

11. Name That Tune says:

It turned out the way it should. The free-style was the decider for me. While energetic, the Chelsea/Mark dance was too much tricks, not enough dance. Felt I’d seen that before.

Hines & Kim dancing too a marching band was way cool. And the lifts were fantastic.

Loved Kirstie for never giving up.

12. nighttalk says:

I have always, myself, been an embarassment to a woman on a dance floor…I love music and admire those that make dance so effortless, so beautiful…Hines and his partner…deserved the win!…I am a Cleveland man…Browns…born in southern Ohio…Steelers…talk about talk about mixed loyalties…interesting show…go Hines!

13. finditinteresting says:

Rather curious..or not, that kirstie can come in second due to popularity, but when bristol made of to top 3 last season it was such an uproar with so many people calling her fat ,.etc. she worked just as hard as ka to get to the top 3. what a bunch of hypocrites. But we already knew that

• Pat says:

Let me explain this to you. I’ll start by telling you that I’m one of those people who understand why the Cloris Leachmans last longer many people want. They make someone laugh or smile and dance moves be damned, people vote for them. And for all the ketvching about Cloris, people get that it is about that.

Bristol didn’t last because people thought she was entertaining. She didn’t last because she was showing great improvement as a dancer. Hell, she sure didn’t last because she looked like she was having a good time. She lasted because a bunch of people who normally didn’t watch DWTS, didn’t give a damn about the rules or conventions of the show, or even really about Bristol went out of their way to vote for someone named Palin. Bristol was never entertaining, had limited musicality, and minimal improvement. Hell, Kendra was a better dancer then Bristol and there was outrage she lasted too long.

Kirstie made people smile and laugh. She just inspired a few older, fatter women by embracing the whole process. She loved it. She was transformed by it. And people voted for that. I saw more joy on Bristol’s face during the farewell appearance on GMA then I ever did the entire time on the show. She was so thrilled to have it over. (I’m not saying she didn’t like the people, I actually got that she did – I’m saying she didn’t like dancing, or performing and her unhappiness was obvious.)

She didn’t want to be there, and I wanted people who did to get to stay. There is nothing hypocritical about that.

14. Sophie says:

As a lifetime Steelers fan who considers Hines one of the best all-time Steelers players, I am very biased. I am happy to see him win and make such a positive impression with the general public because he will be retiring soon and will need a job. He has now proven his value as an entertainer. He will have his pick of post-football careers. I am happy for him. Those who complained about his incessant smiling need to watch him play football. He smiles whether he has made a great catch or was leveled by an opposing linebacker. His appreciation of the life he has worked so hard to carve out for himself and his mother is always evident. He is beloved in Pittsburgh and now beyond. Go Hines!

15. Realistic says:

I’m ok with Hines winning…the two of them were as good as anyone and fun to watch with excellent Charisma.
    However, seeing Kirsty place second goes to show one thing…it shows the reason other countries either hate us or laugh at us. We as a nation continue to idolize the Kate Gosslins, Kendra’s, Kardasians, Jersey Shore, and Kirsty’s of the world. Miserable untalented people. You can respond however you want because I wont read it…any of you who voted for Kirsty over Chelsea are jealous sick people who hate young beautiful talented girls because you either never had one or have never been one…losers

16. Cindy says:

Glad Hines and Kym won!
    Dance troupe was awful this year – at least one of those add-on ladies was constantly out of step with the group. Still think the singers could be better.
    Chelsea should’ve been the runner-up, not Kristie.

17. Connie says:

Katie i agree Chelsea was robbed. I think we got lucky Hines won. He deserved it. But Kirstie should have been third. No way she should have been runner up. Personally i Kirstie should have been gone weeks ago. Romeo should have in final. But Chelsea was much better than Kirstie. I am so glad that Hines won!!!

18. BillyBob says:

I am confused by Maks’ comment re: his 10th trophy. What did he mean? I hope somebody asks him.
    Still, I thought Chelsie was by far the best dancer, but, I am less than lukewarm for Mark. Maybe that is how other people felt too.

19. Baby Laura says:

I was totally turned off by Mark this year. He was back to his old ‘handsy’ self. Surprised he doen’t get slapped. He needs Derek back to keep him in line.

20. dq18 says:

SO glad Chelsea & Mark didn’t make it to the final two since they ROBBED Ralph of his position in the finals. Let’s face it, that stupid dance off was so the judges could guarantee them into the final three and ultimately the audience showed that while producers could try and push their agenda, in the end the’d get nothing but push back!

21. pb from pg says:

I could go either way with Chelsie and Mark or Hines and Kym winning. Both teams were consistantly at the top all season. If Kirsty and Max made it to the top 3 – that is where they deserved to be.

22. IHBGRS says:

All so-called reality TV shows are scripted. Yes, all of them. The most heavily scripted ones are DWTS, American Idol, Survivor, Project Runway, The Voice, and The Amazing Race, just to name a few. Look very closely at past seasons of the aforementioned shows, and you will know what “reality” is all about.

23. Munid Chu says:

Hines and Chelsie progressed beautifully and deserved to be in the
    finals.
    Ralph did not deserve 7’s in the semi final.He was not judged fairly.
    Kirstie should have been elimated a long time ago
    In the final analysis Kirstie did not deserve to be in the
    semi final or the final. Better dances were elimated very
    early. Judging has been biased ,I have noticed for a few
    years now. In my opinion new judges are desperately needed.

24. Brendan O says:

This was fixed…Chris Jericho is the most charismatic thing on tv and should have won this by a land slide on his charm alone…y2j ftw