Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Chris Meloni Exits Law & Order: SVU

Chris Meloni will not be reporting back for duty when Law & Order: Special Victims Unit launches its 13th season this fall, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Protracted talks between the actor — who has played Detective Stabler since the NBC crime drama’s 1999 debut — and studio NBC Universal broke down on Tuesday, says a source. Franchise creator Dick Wolf is said to already be searching for a big name to bring in opposite the series’ female lead, Mariska Hargitay.

Hargitay’s own deal to return for Season 13 remains unaffected.

Just last week, new NBC boss Robert Greenblatt told TVLine he felt the network was in “pretty great shape” as far as Meloni’s prospective deal goes, though he did allow for the possibility of SVU one day moving forward minus its two original leads. In fact, there was very recently talk that Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer) might join the series midway through the coming season to replace Hargitay.

“Jennifer Love is somebody we’ve been circling,” Greenblatt told us, “but I don’t know that that is going to happen at all.”

An NBC spokesperson had no comment for this story.

Comments (590)

• Personaly im glad he’s gone. Seemed like Mariska was having to babysit him because he would through his temper tantrums all the time. But the way they wrote him out talking about him shooting a teenage girl & whether it Was good shot or not. I am trying to play over last season in my head & just can’t remember this storyline. Regardless im glad to see him go. Would have rather saw him go out fighting for his job. Not just have the chief call Benson in to say he turned in his papers.

Comment by chuck – September 24, 2011 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stalber and Olivia are SVU. Ice T is good, but he cannot save the show. It will be strange watching it without them on it. Add bringing Jennifer Love-Hewitt in, it spells the end of the road. She could not act in Ghost Whisperer, so why are they trying to bring her into a fan favorite show?

Comment by Ernest – September 24, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched the show since it’s premier. I like Christopher’s character but recently I have come not to like Mariska’ character she is overbearing and the way she communicates with the rest of the character sometimes could be disrespectful. I believe she should be the one to go not Christopher M . Keep him

Comment by Gloria R – September 24, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am deeply disappointed with Christopher been tossed from the show. Another successful series wrecked by the network!! I won’t be watching anymore, I tried tonight but it sucked big time!!!!

Comment by Robert – September 24, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They did the same with Goren and Eames. Hey network head, how did that work out for you? Think you know better than your audience, how quickly you forget. SVU “is” Stabler and Benson. Without them, there is no SVU.

Comment by cy – September 25, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay ARE Law and Order/SVU. With one leaving and the other only part-time, there is no L&O/SVU. It certainly won’t be the same and I won’t watch it.

I say, pay Chris Meloni whatever he demands (he is worth every penny) and have him return to the show; otherwise, the show is DOOMED FOR FAILURE.

PLEASE RECONSIDER HIS DEMANDS!!!!!!!!

Comment by Maureen Calbick – September 25, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN Sista!! I feel your pain!

Comment by Gia – September 25, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Meloni but Danny Pinot ain’t no slouch and will be a great fit. Now if they kill off the Olivia character it oughta be even better. I don’t see JLH as back fill but the remaining cast is strong. Best wishes to the new season!

Comment by Judy – September 25, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am speechless! This is a bunch of bologna! Meloni did not think of his loyal fans! this show might as well be canceled I am never watching this show again! STABLER + BENSON = LOVE
    BOO HOO :’(

Comment by Gia – September 25, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was the bust person on the show. I will not be watching it again. This blows

Comment by kevin – September 25, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They may as well cancel the show without either of them. This is just like when they tried to get rid of the guy from criminal intent… There’s no substitution for the originals.

Comment by carl – September 25, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TAKE THE SHOW OFF IF BENSON @ STABLER ARE GOING TO BE IN IT…..THEY MADE THE SHOW WHAT IT IS TODAY,MY GOD ARE YOU GUYS THAT DUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WONT WATCH IT IF THEY ARE NOT IN IT!!!! CATHI, FROM RHODE ISLAND

Comment by CATHI B. – September 27, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is soo sad, being a huge fan since the show started its soo crazy to think or watch the show without him!! BOOOO to anyone who says its a good idea, these people are what makes SVU soo good! And I hope Jennifer Love doesn’t join, (GAG) its be better to end the show then deal with her dramatic teary a*s!! Just saying….

Comment by Tiffany – September 27, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elliot and Liv are like family. Munch and Ice T are great but it just won’t be the same. No one can replace the duo…the show should end on top not when it falls to the bottom. Big mistake.

Comment by J Wise – September 28, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I tend to agree if you get rid of the Det. Benson (MH) I will truly never watch another episode. You need to bring back Det. Stabler at any cost. Actors the viewers watch make the producer and etc. their money. Get rid of them both you might as well just cancel the show.

Comment by Kelly – September 28, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show will never be the same again, they are the stars so if one or both leave then it makes no sense the show carry on. No stars no show. Get back Chris Meloni

Comment by judy – September 28, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I had to research what happened, since I do not watch much TV, BUT do catch SVU when possible! Okay, very sad to see Elliot MIA, and now to hear Mariska’s leaving??? I do love Iced Tea, no doubt about that, but SVU w/o Elliot and Benson, this makes me sad! Very sad.

Comment by vintage – September 28, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The new season isn’t nearly as good as it was with stabler. I won’t probably watch it as much. The reruns are defintley better!!!

Comment by stephanie – September 28, 2011 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch this show without Stabler and/or Benson and especially if that no talent Jennifer Love Hewitt is brought on!!!!!! Of all the shows on TV this is one of the ONLY one I watch… The only one who has a GREAT cast, change no one – they all make this program what it is… BIG MISTAKE if you all change ANYTHING!

Comment by LaVerne Mayock – September 28, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Stabler? I can’t find the story line….OMG I was so shocked tonight. Someone please answer!

Comment by claudia – September 28, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i totally agree with Gillian. i LOVE Stabler and now hes gone. i don’t even want to watch it anymore. SVU was my favorite law and order. i’m only holding on for Benson, if she leaves, goodbye SVU. *tear*tear*

Comment by Katline Bazile – September 28, 2011 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just saw the 2nd episode of the 13th season, they brought on Danny Pino. I love him from ” Cold Case” I think he will do a terrific job on SVU. I will still watch it because I love great detective shows.

Comment by colletra – September 28, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched L&A SVU. It is definitely not the same. Fin, Munch, Olivia, Elliott, and the chief are a great together. Watching these other misfits is painful like a pulling teeth.

Comment by jade – September 28, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh em gee…This is my fav show I cant believe there geting rid of stabler and benson.. I guess I got to stick to the marathons. This will be the last season thats sad to say what were these people thinking!!

Comment by maria – September 28, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am soooo pissed off that 2 of the main characters are leaving…SVU will just not be the same without them. I’m an avid fan of the show and it’ll be break my heart to see the show go down the tubes like so many others that i’ve liked in the past. Give our actors what they want… we pay enough for cable to keep these programs going so pay them

Comment by HannahBanana – September 29, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched svu since the beginning. Wont be watching it anymore. Loved Elliot Stabler.

Comment by Tereasa – September 29, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I wasn’t very impressed last night watching SVU because Elliott was not there.Too bad I was a faithful viewer, but now probably won’t watch as much. Now Olivia is the only reason I may tune in!

Comment by Dottie Parker – September 29, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to stabler? Did he die?

Comment by Jessie – September 29, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The probloem when shows run this long is that the main actors start wanting to leave. But because there are still other relatively main characters on the show (3 I believe), the people in charge of the show probably think it can still work, which yes, to a small extent that is true. But when main characters/ actors leave, too often shows become less and less good!

Comment by Jessie – September 29, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Stabler character requires someone like Chris Meloni for the series to work. The new guy seems to be wooden ! the stabler character showed all the signs in his personal life, as that of many police personnel i know of in the uk. Not all cops are handsome and softly spoken esp when they work in the svu unit. pity that the NBC, in its wisdom has decided to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Benson and Stabler work really well 2gether and share a wide range of emotions not forced, plastic ones that are appearing on the show currently with new cast members.This series is about a sensitive [subject/s]covering a wide range of abuse, Not murder she wrote.NBC should have dug in their pockets a little deeper. shame on you.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 30, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on people ! Get a life . This is a T.V. show , not real-life . The only value of this show is entertainment .If anyone is going to miss out on something , it’s going to be Chris Meloni not getting a pay-cheque for a while . He doesn’t know you or care about you and he isn’t going to miss you . His life is moving on . Six pages of sob stories is a real threat to the T.V. networks isn’t it .

Comment by Daryl – September 30, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lAW AND ORDER SVU bonk bonk bonk. It was my favorite show for 15 years. Now without the Chemistry between Maryska and Christophen the show SUCKS.

Comment by nancy schiltz – October 1, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law & Order SVU without Christopher Maloni is gone for good. It won’t make it another year. Maryska is great but it was the synergistic relationship betweeen her and Christopher that made it believealbe.

Is Christopher Maloni dying of Cancer, is that why he quit????

I’m certain that if Wolf wrote him out he was writing his own death warrent as a writer.

What is going on. I will watch the reruns but forget it. I will not watch Law and Order SVU until Chris Malone comes back. Lets all send a petition to NBC. Please.

Comment by nancy schiltz – October 1, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • really ridiculous to take him off.. very upsetting!!! I agree will never watch it again if olivia is removed!!!

Comment by Angela – October 1, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did they write stabler out of the show?

Comment by Dawn – October 1, 2011 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you know how they wrote stabler out of the show?

Comment by Dawnmarie – October 1, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was very sad to know that the original cast of SVU was changed. I watched the new episode and did not like it, feels incomplete without Maloni, that was the last episode I will watch of SVU. My co-workers feel the same way… It’s a shame! : (

Comment by Jay – October 2, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refuse to watch SVU after season 12, you can’t make 12 seasons of a show and then replace the two main characters. It Killed the show!

Comment by Sheridan – October 3, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not svu without stabler I hope the show falls and gets taken off the air can’t afford him it’s bull my family and I will never watch the show again unless stabler comes back. Ps I hope the ratings drop worse than k-fed

Comment by Darren – October 4, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch svu without Elliot or Olivia. They are the only reason I’ve watched it for years! Your killing the show without them.!! What are you thinking?
    Jennifer really??? Come on. Is will never fill Olivia’s shoes!!! Never in a million years!!! And that goes for Elliot too. No one will have his spunk and good looks!!!!

Comment by Autum – October 5, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wentworth Miller sounds good but they already casted Danny Pino and that cute chick from US Marshalls.

Comment by Collin – October 5, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FWIW, I do like both characters, Elliott and Mariska are great and I think they left the door open for stabler to come back.

Comment by Collin – October 5, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suck it bitch they ruined this show by breaking up a killer cast and bringing in some spigger to replace meloni.

Comment by Me – October 5, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree if mariska and Benson leave the show its not worth watching anymore cuz the two bring more feeling and action to the show.

Comment by irma – October 5, 2011 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait. I really wanna know what happened to him. Did he just leave, like get fired? Or did he die on the show? I missed the last couple episodes in the last season when I was moving and I finally got comfortable with Elliot and Olivia!!

Comment by Auri – October 6, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elliot and Olivia are the perfect team I love them two together. This is my favorite show with them as partners, very disappointed with this outcome.Probably won~t watch it anymore without Elliot.

Comment by Bonnie Hubbard – October 6, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will drop viewers like crazy

Comment by glo – October 6, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just like Law and Order Criminal Intent. NBC just made a big mistake. I don’t care who they try to add in it won’t be the same. I used to work for GE and I love the company but they are sometimes clueless. One of their contractors who used to be a part of GE until they were sold. The now contractor has been ripping GE off and again they are clueless.

It won’t be long until the show bombs without Stabler. TV Execs are morons. The two biggest clueless groups of people are TV Execs and Governements.

Comment by Kevin – October 6, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wth! now ur gettin rid of benson? y try to fix something tht isnt broken! i will never watch the show again if they get rid of more the original actors. the ahow just isnt the same without elliot stabler. wht is wrong here why take away the to main leads n try to bring someone else in? all the sudden too! 13 seasons and now they want to change things. well they have a rude awaking cause in their show b gona be watched in my house ever again. u just lost a faithful veiwer SVU!

Comment by Ashley – October 12, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU is going to go down the drain now.

It would be different if they did it early on – but in the 13th season make such a dramatic change? Not gonna fly.

I won’t watch anymore.

Comment by Stephanie – October 13, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch SUV any more I am a fan that has watched this from the begining . If elliot stabler does not come back then you have lost a big consumer and lage fan.

Comment by Cheryl – October 15, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post