Exclusive

Exclusive: Chris Meloni Exits Law & Order: SVU

Chris Meloni will not be reporting back for duty when Law & Order: Special Victims Unit launches its 13th season this fall, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Protracted talks between the actor — who has played Detective Stabler since the NBC crime drama’s 1999 debut — and studio NBC Universal broke down on Tuesday, says a source. Franchise creator Dick Wolf is said to already be searching for a big name to bring in opposite the series’ female lead, Mariska Hargitay.

Hargitay’s own deal to return for Season 13 remains unaffected.

Just last week, new NBC boss Robert Greenblatt told TVLine he felt the network was in “pretty great shape” as far as Meloni’s prospective deal goes, though he did allow for the possibility of SVU one day moving forward minus its two original leads. In fact, there was very recently talk that Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer) might join the series midway through the coming season to replace Hargitay.

“Jennifer Love is somebody we’ve been circling,” Greenblatt told us, “but I don’t know that that is going to happen at all.”

An NBC spokesperson had no comment for this story.

1. Jenny says:

Wow! That’s sad. :( But I do think Stabler (the character, not CM the actor) was ready to go. He’s been un..stable for awhile.

• Gillian says:

I have every singe season of SVU on dvd and Ill tell ya if they get rid of Chris meloni and Mariska Hargitay it will probably be the last season I will ever buy.

• Matt says:

It will be the last season you buy because it will be the last season produced…

• Gabe says:

What Matt said.
          This is absurd. Hargitay had already asked for reduced appearances with an eye to exiting all together, and now they’ve lost Meloni without even having the time to write out the character. Just cancel the show now and don’t let it fail.

• Karen says:

I agree that why go through filming just to watch the ratings go down. I am a big SVU fan and watch the marathons all the time. All the other Law & Orders have changed original cast and look where it has gotten them…..no longer on prime time.

• Thomas Hanrahan says:

As for cast changes, the original “Law & Order” had at least one cast change in all but three of its 20 seasons. Are you saying that without cast changes it would have lasted more than 20 seasons. The cast changes were no problem on that show, because it was plot-driven, not character-driven. As for other “Law & Order” shows that are no longer in primetime, there is only one — “Law & Order: Trial by Jury.” This one didn’t have cast changes, as it only lasted half a season. “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” is still on, though in its last season, but there was no “Law & Order” show that suffered because of cast changes.

• Alycia says:

Exactly, Cancel the show, there is no reason for it to even go on. I cant believe they didnt even write him out. That sucks. I will not watch it again. Thats for sure.

• Francisca Rood says:

I agree. I think they are ruining the show by losing Chris Meloni off the show and possibly taking Mariska off too. I will not watch the new episodes if they are gone. It was those two that kept me watching the show from the first time I saw it.

• Wil miss elliot badly he is so yummy i always hoped him and olivea would get together

• mommy says:

I totally agree….. they wont get any ratings from me!!!!

• juliette hutchinson says:

I will never watch this show again without Stabler

• Davis says:

I will not watch the show anymore, without the 2 main chacters, just cancel the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Peggy Watson says:

I will not watch svu with stabler and benson, they are great and it will not be popular without them.

• CONNIE says:

Eating without salt and pepper is very bland , Olivia without Stabler will be uneatable {unwatchable }The two together ARE
            the show . LOVE THE OTHER REGULARS TOO.

• Marcella says:

I agree! Without Christopher Meloni they should have just cancelled the show. I have been a loyal fan from the beginning and cannot believe he is just gone so abruptly. I will never watch the show again. I am very sad.

• Barbie says:

I totally agree. I didn’t know Meloni had been “exited”. What a group of dumbos. Can’t they realize he’s the MUSCLE??? He complements everyone in the show….his relationships with the Capt, Fin..I just loved that. I watch episodes of LOSVE on USA and didn’t know he was gone until I saw it on my NBC station (which I never watch because I don’t like most of their shows) and he wasn’t on there. (1)Olivia can’t carry the show alone. (2)Fin, the new guy, or anyone there can take the place of Elliott. (3)Jennifer???? Who’s in charge?

• maria says:

I agree I’ts not the same :( in Mexico we love Law and the order svu but without Stabler no More!!! :/

• Sarah says:

I just got the news that SVU won’t have Stabler on it anymore. This is quite upsetting. Stabler and Benson have the best on screen chemistry (as partners)…EVER!!! It’s absurd.

• Grace Russo says:

The show is terrible without Stabler.Write him off?he made the show. Bad move.Mariska worked perfectly with Stabler. If something works,don’t try to fix it.

• Brick says:

Just watched first episode of new season, better without Stabler!!! Just like original L&O was refreshed with new blood every few years, and new story line svu is better now!! Let Olivia go too!!

• deanna says:

Are ya’ll forgetting how awesome the show was overall, and how awesome the remaining cast mates are? ICE T…RICHARD BELZER…CAPTAIN!! All great actors…but yes I will be missing hunky ol Stabler too. And first news Marishka is leaving? :(

• madatsvu says:

Really !!REALLY!!! u must not be a TRUE fan thats all i got to say about that!! My friends and I watch the show all the time and agree that the show would not be the same without the two of them this new blood is just annoying!!!

• Grace Russo says:

This is referring to the comment by Brick: Who is paying you to say this? What is your brother in law on the show?You must be 18years old. What next:svu arrest dancing with the stars?bad move NBC.

• Joanne says:

Law and Order SVU needs both Stabler and Benson as well as the rest of the cast. It will not be the same and no one can replace any of the cast and expect to continue as a great show. I think Mr. Wolf shoud reconsider and keep the cast intact.

• jimboplyr625 says:

without meloni the show sucks,,without mariska it really sucks,it will be gone in a year,finished,over ,kaput!!!

• Sharon J. says:

I think you all have lost your marbles. Olivia and Stabler are like peas and carrots. At least CBS had the sense to listen to their viewers and bring JJ and Priness back. Why would you fix anything that is not broke? See if you can set up an appointment with CBS and they may be able to give you some inside addition for your show! That the way it is. YOU CAN”T STAND TO LEAVE SOMETHING ALONE THAT IS ALREADY PERFECT!!!!!! WEll your ratings will go. I hope that CBS picks up Olivia and Stabler. YOur directors make me sick!!

• FAN OF ELLIOTT'S says:

If Elliott leaves the show, so will I.

• Domenic says:

I agree show won’t be worth watching without Chris.

• Syreeta Parker says:

I love Elliot and Olivia!! they are one of the main reasons i watch svu. there is just this connection with them, they feed off each other. it wont be the same. I live in Jamaica and my co-workers and I spend a lot of time talking about suv and mostly stabler and olivia. No stabler no svu.

• Helen M says:

I love all of the Law and order CI is my favorite. I have watch the first couple of shows but they were bordering and did not keep my attention at all. I watch the old show over and over. When you start take the people that make the show if starts to loss rating.

• SeriouslySad says:

You are right!! I am in shock!! I love him and Mariska to death! As a duo. I get sad just watching episodes with “Dani” and “Chester Lake” because Mariska is on leave. I think this will be a HUGE mistake NBC!! Give the man what he wants to keep him and her to. After all they made this show a huge success! There is more viewers than any scripted tv show!! I LOVE HIM PLEASE LET HIM STAY!!!!! I honest to God have never ever liked or obsessed on a show like Law & Order SVU! I love all the characters but especially “Stabler” and “Benson”!!

• Janet L. says:

I will be deeply hurt if either of them are no longer on the show, have watched from the beginning just want be the same. I will have to exit too.

• Darlene Crane says:

I really agree with everyone eles on this. Please let Stabler and Benson stay. If they don’t stay,then I will not watch the show anylonger I pomise you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rmca says:

I agree, with Stabler and Benson gone, I’m gone. I can’t believe they think they can replace that combination with anyone. It just won’t happen. The other Law and Order was cancelled, and this one is on it’s way also.

• gail says:

Show is not the same with Meloni gone. Stabler needs to be there too!

• Gwen says:

You Have Lost a viewer, as some else said, they feed off each other. I have been a viewer of all the Law and Orders for a looooooooooooong time and though I love Law and Order Criminal Intent, since the original person returned and only because of that! Dick Wolf is making a mistake!!! Liv and Stabler are the show!

• wendy says:

the season openor was really a good show, how ever , with out elliot im not sure if i can keep watching as a faithful fan.. tooo many other good shows on the same night.i think before he left we should have at least had him and olivia kiss and give us a sense of more , after all these years.. she is now just pathetic…

• Deanna says:

Maybe ol Wolf is gettin senile…or just ready for something new

• CONNIE says:

AMEN!!!!! YOU COULD TELL OLIVIA WAS CRAZY ABOUT ELLIOT , THEY COULD HAVE AT LEAST KISSED GOODBYE !!!

• marielen says:

Agree. Sucks that he’s just “poof” gone! There’s no closure for us who have watched a true friendship and heartfelt love between two characters. For him to just disappear with no explanation to his partner makes his character look bad and she ends up looking like a jilted bride standing stunned at an empty altar.

• Patti says:

I agree with everything you said! Those two made the show what it is. The whole cast worked well together. I did not like the Dani character either! At least Stabler should make some guest appearances. When they both are gone, so am I!

• Jackie says:

Such a strange way to exit his character…poof, gone, where he doesn’t even clean out his desk…really. What world is that? I’ve been watching them for too long to have it end that way.

• bev l says:

Watching Law and Order without “Benson and Stabler” is like peanut butter without the jelly. pay them! They have made you rich.
          This is why shows fail.

• Myra Mahl says:

I am devistated to learn that Chris Meloni is leaving SVU. He and Mariska Hargitay MADE the show. I hope they are keeping Fin and Munch. Dick Wolf failed in my eyes with L&A La because his characters had no personality. I felt the cast of SVU were like family to me. I can’t stand Jennifer Love and her teary-eyed look. She is not the detective type.

Dick Wolf seems to be shifting away from the realism of his characters. There will never be anything as great to me as Law and Order which is gone, L&A Criminal Intent, which is gone, and sooner or later, if he keeps putting these non-descript characters in his series, I will not be watching anymore.

I am so disapointed with Mr. Wolf. He’s losing his intuition, and soon he will be losing me.

• MIchelle Barker says:

I agree with your comments, Chris Meloni & Mariska Hargitay make the show! Other characters on the show have come & gone over the years, such as DA’s, ADA’s, politicians, judges, etc. but not the two lead detectives that have L&A SVU into the huge success it has developed into over the years! I can watch reruns with the Chris & Mariska for a while, but was so excited the new season was starting. Thought maybe Benson & Stabler would develop a relationship this season, not just oh 1 of the 1 main characters are gone & we’re just going to go on like nothing happened…Whoever is calling these types of bad decisions needs to be reigned in to reality, better still, need to be replaced! TV is supposed to be for the consumer…which without Chris Meloni & talks of getting rid of Mariska Hargitay, this will be the last season of L&A SVU…so sad b/c was such an awesome show, it had the stamina, story lines & actors it needed to produce a realistic, enjoyable show people would watch over & over. Now there wont be anything worth watching, another TV show ruined by executives… To those who want to complain about the amount of money Chris Meloni was being paid & what he was asking for–i’m sure it’s just a fraction of a fraction that the executive who is ruining an excellent show!! Love you both Chris & Mariska, thanks for all you do to bring so much to a show, you two are truly talented! God bless you both in vehe

• Carol Sealine says:

I agree with everyone. Benson and Stabler and all the regular characters make the show. To end it like this, is just ridiculous. It will never be the same. I’m like everyone else. I won’t be a regular anymore.

• becsuz says:

May as well kiss this show goodbye! Withour Christopher Meloni it will never make it. And if they add Jennifer Love Hewitt…JUST SHUT IT DOWN. SHE SUCKKKKKKKKKS! I WOULD NEVER WATCH IT AGAIN! PLEEEEEEESE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Lizzy Collins says:

I so agree with this about Jennifer Love Hewitt. I will never watch another episode if she is on it, as I find her nauseating. Sorry for sounding so mean, but it is how I feel. I have bought every season up till now, but I can’t see it happening any longer. I would prefer the whole show be cancelled.

• connie says:

You are SOOOOOOOOO right becsuz, JLH SUCKS SHE COULDN,T EVEN KEEP A GHOST INTERESTED LET ALONE A TV AUDIENCE. !!!!!!

• Debbi says:

Too bad! Christopher Meloni/Mariska Hargitay made an awesome duo on this show. Guess I’ll have to find something else to watch..

• Dee says:

I agree. The show just isn’t the same. I, too will have to watch something else. JLH just wouldn’t be right on this program. Chris Meloni was great.

• kathleen mcrorie says:

i will not watch svu no more if stabler n olivia leave their the best u have.its my favorite show because of them.

• clara rogers says:

you got that right!!!I know me and my family will not be watching any more!

• lynette says:

i agree with u the show will not do good i was seening it because of the two they make the show don’t get me wrong the show is good but they make the show and with out them who can tell how the show will trun out

• LeAnn says:

I agree! I have watched other shows faithfully. But when they get rid of the people you watch week after week, year after year the show just isn’t the same!

• erica says:

I was just thinking the same thing because those two characters make the show. everyone is already upset that elliot is leaving, and if they get rid of Liv for lovehewitt then kiss SVU good bye.

• Maud Gonzalez says:

I agree. Bye bye Law and Order.

• Susie says:

Please get Stabler back !!!!! The show needs him !!!

• Billie Jo says:

Why on earth are you letting Chris Meloni go and then Mariska Hargitay is on going to be there for the first 13 show you guys are crazy Law and Order svu will never be the same. Without thoses to togeather as partners this show is going to suck…… I watch this show everyday but with out Chris ans Mariska on the show togeather it not worth watching it because I all ready hate it with out them those two are tye ones who made the shows so good. I bought all there movies but I’m done buying and watching this show because it not any good with out them as partner I bet this will be the last season you guys messed up big time i wont watch it with uyt those two and i kmow alot of people who are saying the same things so if you want those show to keep going on and people to watch it you gotta get Chris and Mariska back as partner asap

• heidi says:

I am really sad to see him go, they should have given him what he wanted. He is worth it. I think the ratings will go down. If Mariska also reduces her role, I will just stop watching. The show was THEM, that was what made the series, to bad they just didn’t see it. It’s a shame when they can give some coke head like Charlie Sheen millons, yet someone like Chris Meloni who doesn’t end up in headlines and seems respectable can’t come to a financial agreement. NBC made a huge mistake. Two new actors can NEVER replace HIM.

• Heather says:

We will stop watching it without them. They are what made the show and after all these years you cant just have people replace them when they are the show. We quit watching vegas CSI when they replaced Grissom. This is so sad!

• robert says:

I totally agree, I have not missed a episode either. Here in the UK we are behind and only just receiving series 13, only to learn new people and NO elliot.
        I dont think it will be the same, like CSI, when it lost Gill, what a shower of crap it is now.

• new hamsphire says:

me to without them the show is ov er

• Connie says:

I agree. “Elliot and Olivia” made this show. Instead of first on my list, it goes to if nothing is better. Without “Olivia”, I will change my viewing to another series.

• allyson says:

Thank you some sense coming from somebody… what is law and order svu without benson and stabler ive been watching this since season 1

• jacki says:

I wouldn’t buy anymore either. They (NBC) are going to ruin SVU, like they ruined the original Law and Order, making Jack McCoy the DA, instead of ada. Never liked the new one, Jack McCoy not being in the courtroom is what lead to the show’s demise. New characters on SVU will do the same watch and see.

• Kim says:

I don’t think I could watch it without elliot. I have never even
        watched L&o in La. Don’t think I’ll be watching!!!

• Katlin says:

ikr i was gunna buy everyone untill i seen that elliot was going off so i will not by this season cuz it is probably not good at all so i have not even watched this season i wish he would come back they r going to lose alot of ratings because of him leveing they will prob be going off here soon cus of the ratings and elliot leveing.
        !!PLEASE COME BACK ELLIOT!!:) we should do a site or somthin for that.

• katlin says:

well yea but atleast mariska is still on there but i still think chris should come back im not even watching it cuz he is not on tehrte so i dont know what is goin on there and i have seen every episode and season except for this season

• April Moore says:

I have seen every show of svu and I will stop watching if stable don’t come back. They are a team , the best team in tv

• nikisha says:

I have been a fan of Law & order SVU and a great fan of Chris Meloni (Elliott) and Mariska Hargitay (Olivia), and I concur that if they are replace I myself will no longer watch or purchase DVDs of this show. I actually tried to watch an episode of SVU last week and its not the same with out Elliott he brings spark to the show. He depicts the emotions and feeling of a true cop that deals with these crimes on a daily bases and i would love for him to return and permanently. Now Mr Dick Wolf, himself would be doing a great deal of harm if he let these elite stars who made Law & Order SVU what it is today go. No disrespect but the new stars your adding isn’t cutting it. Elliott, Olivia, Finn and Munch are the stars I want to see and so do many others who will agree with this statement!!!!!!

• J Bell says:

You and me both. I suggest this new guy takes. Very close look at what e s doing. 13 series, he,s been here for 2 minutes and already people are moving away. Keep up the good work mister!!!!!!!!!!
        Jean

• Shyon says:

@Gillian, I totally agree with you. Those 2 are my favourite characters and without them many ppl will stop watching

• Michael says:

Jenny, this is about SVU. Not CSI: Miami. No Caruso puns.

• Suncatcher says:

I had already stopped watching anything but the older SVU reruns as this past season you rarely saw Meloni and Hargitay on the same episode – always solo or almost always.

The success of SVU, as we all know, was due to the great chemistry between these 2 actors and their characters. By splitting them up, the chemistry was gone – and so was the show. Meloni leaving is a shame but he probably saw the writing on the wall with Hargitay leaving after only 13 episodes next season, why sign up for a full year – or sign at all? Miss you Chris!

• Janet Rocco says:

I so agree. I wondered if they were personally on the outs or if it was a salary issue. This year was the worst–without their chemistry, it’s nothing. I hope they bring in someone hot like Benjamin Bratt and work the chemistry.

• fay garner says:

I agree with all of the above comments…when something is the best, you cannot make it any better…it is true original L&O changed personalities but now that Jack McCoy has changed roles the show isn’t nearly as dynamic as it was when he was the assistant DA..I do not watch the new ones at all..they totally lack the dynamics, hard yet charming personality of the Jack McCoy..while I like all the cast on SVU, without Elliot Stabler, the show will be lacking one of the characters that made it successful, that fans looked forward to from week to week..now if he doesn’t want to stay, then make it attractive enough for him to want to stay..no one will ever be able to replace him on SVU..I am in total shock…original L&O is surely losing its rank of top weekly show and so will SVU..

• Connie says:

I agree with you. All the actors on the Law and Order:SVU are great and give a great performance. Sorry that I will be missing them.

• sheila says:

I can’t believe that those idiots at NBC are doing away with all of the L&Os. Are they allergic to success? I think that if Chris leaves, they should hire Alec Baldwin and he’s too busy, William Baldwin. They should also bring back Sharon Stone. Both of them can’t be too busy right now.
      This is so sad and stupid.
      sd

• PHYLLIS says:

Sharon Stone was a great addition to SUV; keep her. If Elliott AND Olivia go, I’ll be gone too. Will be sorry not to watch ICE-T; he’s so totally cool.

• mariana says:

I agree, Sharon Stone is great, I think she goes deep into the character but the constant flirtation of the directors with her sex appeal spoils it all, it is time for her to step up and leave this attitude aside and dare it be only a good actress.

As to the changes in the show, it is clear that the new cast will
          loose the old fans and will have to win its new audience. I don´t think this will be easy because the new generation has new preferences. I think the lead actors have been long enough on the show and need, besides some well deserved rest as human beings, some new challenges too.
          I wish both best luck. They made great characters!

• kat koehler says:

I thought Sharon Stone was horrible on the show! I don’t think she is a good actress (my opinion). I love Elliott and I hate to see him go, but 13 season’s is a good ride. I’m sure we will see him again on prime TV somewhere. However, if they are looking for a replacement I recommend Dean on “Supernatural” he is very sexy and a good actor just like Elliott!

• diane Malone says:

WOW!!! All you “loyalists” are not that at all!! the show has been what it is because of all the supporting actors also! NOT just Stabler and Benson. How can people not see that realistically?? there can still be awesome story lines with some new detective that works with Benson~maybe she actually falls in love?????????

• Margaret says:

Benson and Stabler belong together as a couple. He needs to ditch Kathy. She is boring, one-dimensional, and not right for Stabler.

• Momma says:

Ridiculous, he’s a valuable asset to Law & Order SVU; as is Finch & Munch, and of course the ME.

• angela dale says:

you should not quit law and order svu it want be the same without christopher meloni bring him back

• augustine says:

Benson and Stabler were one of the best on screen pairs I’ve ever seen with the best chemistry and Chris & Mariska were two of the best actors. It feels like the end of an era with the duo split. But they did a good job handling his departure with dignity and Mariska played her reaction to his departure perfectly.

• Carol says:

But what will happen to his wife and kids? How will they survive without a stable income?

• Renae Meyers says:

I think Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay were a great pair, along
      with allthe other actors, now i feel the groupe has ended, I sure hope

talks can work out,for the sake of the program.

• Michelle says:

WHy did he leave???

• Jele says:

I miss Elliot already and I think that the show will end up just like “Law and Order Criminal Intent” when Vincent D’nofrio sp? left. It went down like a lead balloon.
      I know actors get bored and tired doing the same show but if they only realised how much pleasure they bring to their watchers especially this old lady maybe they would reconsider. I love Olivia too, she is a beautiful lady! Bring Elliot back please, please, please!

• Kathleen T. says:

somebody please tell me what they said in the first show regarding stabler, i missed it

• bjr says:

Bring back Chris Meloni! Law and Order SVU is not in order without Chris Meloni!

• fran martin says:

i think it stinks that elliot is gone now and if olivia it won’t be worth watching for me i mean..

• Ellie Dooley says:

I have watched SVU since the first show….This yr the show SUCKS! Benson and Stable were the best detectives. I am NO LONGER watching the show without them! I know that Mariska is leaving also and I don’t blame her. Chris and her were the best!

Another Law and Order are going to be canceled…..I only watch the re-runs on cable stations. Too bad for the rest of the stars as I love them all!

Put them back on again and I’ll watch the show!

• Ana says:

Not Jennifer Love Hewitt!!! She can’t act, she’s very annoying, and she does not have the believability of Mariska. I’m done with SVU.

• Joan G says:

I agree completely, I love Mariska, She is so believable in the part
        of Benson, Jennifer Love Hewitt should stick with her Ghosts.
        I miss my friends at CI, that was my favorite , why do they always ruin a good thing ?

• Anne Stephenson says:

Couldn’t agree more, what a poor substitute, she is very plastic and can’t see her ever making the ratings.

• Lyn says:

Too bad so sad, I think losing Stabler and possibly his partner is horrible and like NCSI changes I won’t be watching.

• Amie says:

This is by far ridiculous! I will never watch SVU again. Benson and Stabler make that show worth watching and I can guarantee that it will never be the same. The same thing happened with the original CSI and after they took out 3 of the main stars, show went down hill. They should just cancel the show all together. It sure won’t be worth
      watching anymore!

• R. Kurzweil says:

Stabler was the best thing that ever happened to SVU along with Mariska Hargitay. We watch it less and less since he is gone. What a stupid move.

• Dansk says:

Elliot’s in”stability” made it more & more interesting….they could have really worked with that. And I just saw him on that vampire show….I’d rather see him back at SVU

2. Nostradamus says:

With Mariska taking a reduced role and Chris gone, I may be done watching…

• JohnDoe says:

Same, unfortunately. :(

• Pam Berg says:

Same here!!

• Emily says:

Totally Agree!!!!No Fun watching if they are gone!!! And….the SVU season 12 finale didn’t have anything that would indicate the departure of Stabler, however maybe when it was written, the writers thought that Chris Meloni would be back. Either way, I’m sad. ):

• netta says:

Ditto!!! *sob

• Mikey says:

Talk about show-killer! I was already upset with the upcoming changes with Mariska’s schedule (and don’t get me started on JLH)
      But SVU without Elliot??? Nope, no can do…and it saddens me.

I’ve been a die-hard fan of every L&O show (Orig, SVU, CI LA(the revised version) as well as the lesser known Dick Wolf shows, Conviction and Trial by Jury.

I truly believe with this news, by the end of the 2012 TV season, there will be NO L&O shows on the air….the end of a TV phenom.

• Jim says:

Conviction was a great show.

• Sassbo says:

It seems the L&O franchise is gone, gone, gone. Without Meloni it is the end for this particular one. They’ve cancelled all the rest. I tried to like LOLA but just can’t and it seems no one else can either as it’s also been cancelled. When the shows rely so heavily on their characters and then that falls apart it’s a no go for me. So goodbye SVU – we will miss you, just as we’ll miss “Two Men” without the star that made it happen.

NBC is making a BIG mistake – I hope they’ve left a window open for a ‘do over’ in negotiations.

But, fear not – my guess is that Meloni will be flooded with offers from other networks – it’s not like his career is over. Maybe he’ll hook up with the USA channel and they can produce a new show that will set off his talents.

• Linda says:

Sad to say, I’ve already stopped. The writing was not up to par this season. It’s really too bad, cause I used to love this show. But now that Chris Meloni and (probably soon enough) Mariska Hargitay are leaving I don’t expect I’ll start up again.

• Cindy says:

I agree with you Linda, it was like watching a completely different show. The last episode I watched ‘live’ from this season was episode 3 and I haven’t yet watched the rest. I used to watch it ‘live’ (the night it is shown) but the writing just seemed as if no one was even making an effort phoning it in.

• Suncatcher says:

Totally agree with you about the writing going down hill this season! It was pretty bad. Some of the scripts had so many side stories going on at the same time, you needed a road map to figure out what the heck was going on. And you saw very little of either Meloni or Hargitay. The show has a terrific cast but we tuned in for the 2 primary characters – not the 2nd tier, no matter how good they were.

BTW – Word has it that Ice T has his own show next year so there goes another important character for SVU! The foundation is cracking…

• Jillis says:

To clarify

Wow! That’s sad. But I do think Stabler (the character, not CM the actor) was ready to go (puts on sunglasses) He’s been un..stable for awhile (yeahhhhh dun dun)

• Roxanne Mills says:

As a fan of Law & Order SVU from it’s premier, I am truly sadden by Chris Meloni’s exit. In my opinion the only actor would could
        possibly be as bold and sexy to keep,the Elliot Stabler vibe going; as well as keep the show from sinking, would be Johnny Messner. As far as new NBC boss Greenblatt’s decision to replace Mariska Hargitay with Jennifer Love Hewitt is LUDICROUS! Unfortunately for us SVU fans, the demise of Law & Order Special Victim’s Unit is on the horizon.

• Fairy says:

Me, too.

• Christine says:

Amen!!! Me,too. It’s the same as CI. I did just that when the characters of Goren and Eames were cut back and then removed. I watched only the episodes with them, then quit when they were removed. Started watching again this season. After the season ender story line with Stabler, if a deal to return Meloni can indeed not be worked out, they should at least come up with a deal to write him out as a result of his character’s last actions. Don’t just have him disappear without an explanation.

• Anonymous says:

Ditto! I stopped watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent when Vincent D’Onofrio and Kathyrn Erbe left and will do the same without Chris Meloni departure.

• ELLIOTT FAN says:

I agree with Anonymous. I stopped watching CI when then kicked off Vincent D’Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe and will do the same if Chris Meloni leaves; it’s no show without him. Except for Mariska and Ice-T AND CHRISTOPHER, there would be no show; no replacements for him.

• DL says:

Fin-and-Munch-centric episodes, please! Much rather see them get some of their own cases than have to watch Meloni’s replacement most of the time.

• David F says:

I’m not getting the problem with either Hargitay or Meloni leaving. How many times were the main detectives replaced on the orginal L&O and that show continued to flourish. How is this any different?

• John says:

Its massively different both SVU & CI became dependant on its stars Meloni & Hargitay they’d been there for over a decade unlike L&O which began shedding characters from season 2, yeah Briscoe, Van Buren & McCoy & Schiff were all on the original for over a decade as well they had a revolving door of co-stars & their characters were never as centric to an episode as Elliot or Olivia we never got to know them like the two detectives on SVU or even Goren & Eames on L&O: CI

I think if they hadn’t got D’Onofrio & Erbe back for one last go NBC would have cancelled CI after season 9.

Now with Meloni gone and Hargitay seemingly with one foot out the door it is the beginning of the end for SVU, it doesn’t matter who they get to replace him or them now matter how good an actor they are how good their characters are it just will never be the same and viewer will fall away, i agree with an earlier posting by the end of 2012 the L&O franchise could be over.

• ac says:

yeah, same here

3. jon says:

he should do a show with Lisa Edelstein

4. Harper says:

Nooooo!

5. flutiefan says:

say it ain’t so!

6. Anna says:

Dang! He’s leaving some pretty big shoes to fill. I wonder if the show will survive.

• nazy says:

theyre puttin jennifer love …. they took out the best character….. whats next? surprise visit from buffy the vampire slayer? pshhh thats not a way to finish the last season…. thats like goin out like the lakers went out

7. Bobbi says:

That’s a shame. I love that character, but I’m they can replace him adequately.

8. Michele says:

9. Lynn says:

RIP SVU, it was nice watching you. As much as I adore Mariska, Benson AND Stabler are the show

10. Camilla says:

And they just killed the show!! SVU without Elliot/Olivia is not SVU!!

11. Nicole says:

This is the best news I’ve seen all day!!!

• Cheryl says:

Seriously, I get so sick of them bitching about wanting more money! I will start watching again when Mariska is gone too…

• JohnDoe says:

I sincerely hope you’ve never asked for a pay raise in any job…

• Lois says:

Meloni made $385,000 per episode, making him one of the highest paid actors in a TV drama, second only to Hugh Laurie. Meloni wanted a raise.
          Dramas tend to not make as much money in syndication as comedies. The USA network is owned by NBC, so it isn’t making any big income for the show by being on that network.

• FromNYtoHI says:

Yeah, that’s why they have huge marathons each week. Please.

• steveoo says:

yeah they have huge marathons because they are cheap. An episode of SVU and an episode of Friends costs roughly the same amount of money. SVU occupies the time and draws the same viewers statistically easy math for executive.

• HGFM says:

Actually the relationship between USA and SVU began before USA was part of NBC/Universal. If you watch the end of the credits in season 3, you will see USA Studios after Wolf Films and Universal Studios as one of the production companies. They owned a piece of SVU. That’s why USA Network had exclusive rights until two years ago for syndication.

• dcminn says:

I do hate when tv/movie/sport stars always seem to want more money, but then I have to think how much money L&O:SVU makes for NBCUniversal. They make bank with that show. they sell it to USA Network and on syndication. It’s on so many channels and they make so much from it and Mariska and Chris M are a big reason for it, so I can somewhat understand being paid more for it.

• Lois says:

USA network is owned by NBC. Putting the show in USA isn’t making them a ton of money.

• Nicole says:

I could care less about him asking for a raise. We all wish we made more money. I just haven’t liked the character of Elliot Stabler for the past 6 years or so. Goodbye. Now maybe Dick Wolf & Co. can go back to writing great scripts using the whole cast instead of trying to play to the tweens that aren’t even old enough to be watching this show.

• John says:

Let’s say your an employer, trying to launch a new division which will require an initial seven-year contract and 14-hour work days. Your initial offering will have to be very competitive to draw the best in the field to that position.

Now, after seven years the division is one of the highest performing in the company. As contracts are ending and your employers are eager to keep you on board, you negotiate more money, seeing as you’ve become a top asset in that time and Lord knows what a deal they’ve been getting on you during the latter part of those seven years. You are able to score a huge raise, stock options, and a shorter contract period on renewal.

As that new duration runs out, it becomes clearer and clearer that your division is the only one making the company money, and it’s because of you. You gain a negotiating advantage, and the company has no choice but to give in because they need you. You even score a one-year contract.

Finally, as new management takes over the entire company, you enter negotiations at your previous standard and seek an incremental raise. However, now you are paid far more than the company, very much occupied with fixing their entire operation, can afford. As a top performer, do you compromise to keep your job or do you seek your “going rate” at a company that needs you? That’s subjective, but Mr. Meloni has chosen to seek his options elsewhere.

This honestly isn’t that difficult to comprehend, people.

• Alex says:

Agreed! *Does a victory dance*

12. ck says:

Charlie Sheen!!!

What….no? ;)

13. Dawn says:

No way would I watch SVU with Jennifer Love Hewitt instead of Mariska Hargitay! I could actually conceive of another actor filling in Chris Meloni’s shoes though. I don’t think I would miss him that much. I’m starting to think NBC stands for Nothing But Crap!

14. Susie says:

I’m sorry but I can’t see JLH on this show, it’s just too gritty for someone like her. Sad to see Chris Meloni not returning. Hargitay and Meloni have always been the ones to keep me coming back for the show.

15. Tamalam says:

I’m done watching for sure if he is out. Jennifer Love Hewitt is the kiss of death for the show.

16. Kit says:

Worst news ever. I’m suspicious the show can be any good out with him.

17. BabyGoz says:

First Lisa Edelstein leaves House & now this! Jeez could this month get any worse!

• Suncatcher says:

Ice T is also leaving SVU. He will not return next year. He has his own show now.

• T says:

It has not be stated that Ice T is leaving SVU. You should not make comments that no one with knowledge of the actor has reported. Just because Ice T has a show with his wife on E does not mean his is leave SVU. The show on E is being aired in the summer. He can do both.

18. Tucker says:

Twelve year run with uninterrupted detective casting and pairing is a record for an L&O show. Had to end at some time. Now they get to do what the franchise is known for.

19. Elle says:

A lot of shocking exits in TV this year.I’m a casual SVU watcher its one of the few cop shows I can watch so this news is sad but I say replace him with Wentworth Miller he was awesome on the show and the new female lead should go to Neve Campbell.

20. Amber says:

SVU will not be the same without Stabler

21. Cindy says:

Will not be the same without Benson/Stabler!! :(

• Teresa Childers says:

I agree totally Sista!! With out Stabler/Benson, on the show , Law and Order SVU, is headed for the trash can. I will not be watching the show any more….. AND for them ” NOT ” to even write the ” Stabler PART ” out of the show, to give the ” Stabler ” fans at least a chance of a last farewell episode….is ” HEARTLESS “. Like every one has been saying ….Some of us have been watching this show from it’s FIRST Episode, and we have grown to feel like Beson and Stabler are part of our families !! Faithfully waiting each week to watch what was going to happen next. And alwayd hopeing down deep in our hearts that some how, some way, Stabler and Benson would hook up. and for get about JENIFER LOVE HEWETT OR DANIEL BALDWIN…they could never fill CHRISTOPHER OR MARISKA’S, shoes. I hate it , that that Meloni is leaving, the program will never be the same. I wish the very best for Christopher and his family, and Marishka’s too (if she actually leaves the program ). Christopher is a very handsome man, and a great actor, I hope some program will pick him up soon. And I can continue to follow his work. I started off watching him in “OZ” , and have bought all the episodes of it , plus all the episodes of SVU. I surely hope Dick Wolf knows what her has done. There will NEVER be another Chris Meloni.

• RMCA says:

That was the entire show, Bensen/Stabler what chemistry. It won’t be the same and I’m finished. It’s amazing how many shows are going down hill because of the actors/actresses. Replacements have always been the wrong choice. It will be cancelled shortly. It’s getting that there is hardly anything to watch any longer.

22. Jennifer says:

I stopped watching awhile ago but I’m a bit surprised they would let him get away the same season Mariska is taking on a smaller role. It’ll be interesting to see who they get to replace him, because out of all the L&Os, SVU always seemed to be defined by the Benson-Stabler partnership.

The show’s ratings have never really recovered after it was first moved to 9 during the Jay Leno disaster–if it tanks further this season, could we actually see a Law & Order-less TV landscape come Fall 2012?

23. Hali says:

Nooooo! Will not watch without him!

24. Monica says:

Wow-that’s a bummer. The show won’t be the same without him.

25. bmo says:

big shocker, 2011-12 will be the last season of the good shows…Grey’s, House, SUV, CSI, etc…A lot of changes, change is good though. Get some new faces on the tube. new shows, new stories. Stabler was a loose canon but he’s america’s losse cannon cop, lol

• Suncatcher says:

Industry chatter has dramas on the way out and sitcoms / comedy on the way back in by 2012/13. Oh goody. No one knows how to write good comedy any more. At least the crime dramas and procedurals were entertaining. I haven’t seen a good comedy in a long time. No one writes “MASH” or “All In The Family” or “Friends” or “Perfect Strangers” or “Cheers” any more… snurf.

(Stock up on your favorite reruns on DVDs, folks)!

26. ShortyMac says:

I’m probably not gonna watch Season 13 now. How could “Smoked” be Stabler’s last episode??

27. Tiffany says:

Boo no Stabler – no me – I’m out

28. CZ says:

Time to audition. =)

29. M says:

What a complete rubbish way for stabler to leave,

30. tracy says:

Wtf is going on?! First Lisa Edelstein and now this *sad*

31. NoWay says:

I have nothing against any replacement actors but without “Stabler”, i won’t be returning. I liked that show of all the franchises because of the personal backstories. I love Meloni/Hargitay pairing.
    aw well..i watch too much tv anyway.

• Sharyl says:

I am sad to see him go. The two of them are the only reason I watch it. Just like Criminal Intent it did not work without the original pair that are back now. NBC you are seriously messing up.

32. JohnDoe says:

Just focus more on Munch and Fin. Otherwise, just stop doing the show, please.

• Alex says:

I agree, the show will still be great if they focus on them and have some subplots with the newbies that replace Benson and Stabler.

• Suncatcher says:

I read last week that Ice T is leaving. He has his own show now and will not be back for S13. That leaves Munch, the Captain, BD Wong and the ADA. Not much meat on the bone there for us to chew on…

• Lori says:

FYI…I literally JUST read an interview w/ BD Wong. He’s leaving SVU to go to some new series called “Awake.”
        Sad to see Meloni leaving. Equally sad to see Edelstein leaving House.
        It seems to me when networks get away from the basis of the shows-SVU being about the special victims unit and its “cases”- and start focusing each show on the characters instead, is when the show kind of becomes a mess. They should get back to making the show about what it was intended to be about and the storylines. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the actors and think Meloni, Hargitay, Ice T, and whoever plays Munch (can’t remember his name…sorry) are top-rate, but when the show focuses more on THEM and not the Unit and it’s cases…is when all the crap hits the fan. In my opinion, only occasionally should a shows storyline focus on a particular character. If not, the show becomes about ONLY the characters. That’s when a show gets in trouble.

33. Kat says:

Damn. Christopher and Mariska were the reason
    I watched. As much as I love Ice-T and Belzer, new people will ruin it. It’ll be like the Goren / wtf Goldblume(sp?) switch-off, but worse. Well at least Goren is back 10 and counting…

Wow. I’ll miss Chris. I know it’s only TV, but I carved out a little part of my crappy schedule to make sure I caught the show. NBC please pay the man!!

34. Mikaylah says:

This makes me sad. I would rather both of the leads leave rather than lose one. I can’t imagine Benson being partners with anyone else… Maybe her “supervisory” role that she is said to take over next season will mean she won’t need a partner and Stabler will retire. Though it is a little early for that… I don’t know. I hope he doesn’t get killed!

35. Meghan says:

Awful news!!!! I love watching Chris as Eliot Stabler.

36. Glenn says:

While not a big name, it’d be awesome if they brought Corey Stoll over from LOLA (or brought back Jeremy Sisto from L&O).

• Kat says:

I agree. that would be cool. He made that show tolerable. I remember when Ausiello was just referring to him as “mustache”. Corey Stoll rocks. Maybe with the cancellation of L&O LA, they can do a miniseries of eppies with the cancelled mothership. Better: “Mustache”, Stabler, Olivia, Fin, Munch, Goren & Eames, all helping Anita Van Buren. If possible. bring back Jessie L. Martin. Win! Personal note: try to work in Doug Hutchison. I love this dude as a baddie.

• Toby Wan says:

I was about to post this idea; you beat me to it! Stoll was doing a great job on LA, and NBC didn’t give it time to build. His character has that swagger that you need on SVU. The guy went to Mexico to catch his partner’s killer! While we are harvesting characters, let me also submit Asst. DA Rubirosa for SVU too. I’m gonna miss seeing her each week….

• Dorothy says:

Totally agree with bringing in Corey Stoll (with the ‘stache!). Don’t care what kind of cockamamie story line they have to create to make it happen. TJ was turning into a real interesting guy (“We opened for Offspring!”), just as the cancellation was announced.

JLH would be just too irritating to watch. Not believable.

37. Katrinka says:

Leave it to the brainiacs at NBC to kill off all the “Law & Order” franchises one-by-one. SVU is the only one that is scheduled to be on the air this fall & I’m guessing without Christopher Meloni it won’t last long.

• JohnDoe says:

No kidding. And they thought Skeet Ulrich fallout in the ratings was bad for L&O: LA, wait until they see what happens to the ratings when Mariska isn’t showing up in episodes frequently, and Christopher is completely gone.

38. Lena120 says:

No Stabler and Benson = No me! I knew something was going to happen with him sooner or later. In recent seasons it seems like all the juicy stories have gone to Mariska (I love her by the way) and he’s been underused. I think the last time he got some meaty material was when Stabler was going through a divorce and he was getting in trouble at work because of his temper. Since then he’s kind of been floating along.

• Anon says:

Apologize to me but I do not agree with the comment. In recent seasons Stabler SVU has shown more than Benson. This year had an episode that appeared not Mariska. Love them both but I venture to watch without Stabler. When Benson did not go see more.

39. ing says:

Bring back Dean Porter!

40. Liz says:

They’re doing the same thing to SVU as they did to CI. CI wasn’t the same without Goren & Eames and we saw what happened to that. It was cancelled and the fans clamored, so they brought it back. SVU won’t be the same without Stabler & Benson, they ARE that show. Dick Wolf really is an idiot!

41. Bonnie says:

I watched the show for Christopher Meloni. Without him, I’m gone, right now.

42. Jen says:

They should have planned for this possibility and given the viewers an end to the Benson/Stabler storyline. This is so sad. 12 years and he’s just gone? What, Stabler’s going to leave his badge and gun on Cragen’s desk and be gone because he shot a kid? Pathetic… Benson and Stabler ARE the reason I watch. I’m so depressed now.

• R says:

I too am heartbroken. Benson and Stabler are like Kirk and Spock, the two together make a whole. I also thought the departure story line was super weak. And, so far, I have not been impressed or pleased with the new characters. It just dosen’t work.

43. jess says:

Perhaps he’ll have more time now to hump the fridge or fondle some sweaters.

Meloni: one half of my favorite part of SVU.

44. tj says:

crap!!!! Benson and Stabler are the show! JLH???? ewe….yuk not a cop for nada… I hope they give Stabler a freaking great send off and Benson they have been partners for 12 years. Geeze….this blows, and the gavel pounds.(NBC should cancel the show now and/or expect low ratings.)

45. Mary says:

Officially ruined for me. First House and now this. There had better be some AMAZING pilots in the fall!

46. Michael Sacal says:

Get Elias Koteas (Casey Jones) to replace him. No one will be able to tell the difference :P

• Lena120 says:

O God no! But he’s busy starring in some summer medical drama on ABC called Combat Hospital that has cancellation written all over it.

• Kat says:

hey both were hot. Huge crush since TMNT. But looked sick in CSI NY and “let me in”. Handsome yes… Ringer for Stabler, not lately. Is he ok? /bah… ‘prolly just the demon we know as aging, yes? Still, quite handsome.

47. Ashley says:

I seriously feel like I’m dying right now!!! First the news of Mariska’s reduced role and now this!? SVU is officially done without Benson AND Stabler! And there go the chances of EO ever happening. Well one thing is for sure: Stabler left on a horrible note.
    SCREW THE PRODUCERS! I’m surprised they didn’t do everything they possibly could to keep him because the show is doomed!

48. STARK says:

It´s time to start bringing together all the actors that left or were fired from their shows, just imagine this:

A new CSI like with Lisa Edelstein, Jennifer Morrison, Chris Meloni, William Petersen, Nicolette Sheridan, Calista Flokhart and other 2 or 3 from the other cancelled shows… obviously the jewel in the crown would be Charlie Sheen

welcome to the most expensive show in tv history

• Em says:

Hahahaha, best idea I’ve heard yet :) Now all they need is some decent writers and execs with half a brain, and we all know how difficult those are to come by…

Because yeah. SVU is screwed.

49. Bodil-Amanda says:

Can’t let him leave and not Mariska Either.
    If she leaves it is not going to be many followers left of this amazing show.
    Mariska and Christopher is the Svu.
    We have all ready lost 2 ppl from that show, don’t take the rest away from us please…

50. Cate says:

In these tough economic times, are the networks not prepared to pay the stars the money any more? Lisa Edelstein now Chris Meloni. With a reduced Benson factor and no Stabler, I can’t see SVU lasting much longer. Long time producer Neal Bear leaving too seems to indicate SVUs days are numbered. Will it work with a new lead pair? I doubt it. Not sure I will be interested once Benson gets her promotion and leaves. Sad news.