Ratings: Celeb Apprentice Finale Hits All-Time Low, Jesse Stone Cops Big (Old) Audience

The Celebrity Apprentice closed out its latest cycle on Sunday night with a total audience of 8.4 million viewers, swelling every half hour, and a 2.9 rating, which marks an all-time low demo for a edition featuring celebs.

Celeb Apprentice was Sunday’s third most watched program, trailing a special 60 Minutes (10.9 mil/1.6) and the night’s biggest draw, the CBS telepic Jesse Stone: Innocents Lost (13.74 mil/1.3). The Tom Selleck starrer improved on the franchise’s previous audience by 20 percent, while matching its meager demo number (which, save for Minute To Win It, stood as Sunday’s worst).

Elsewhere on the night:

* ABC’s broadcast of the Billboard Music Awards drew 7.85 million total viewers and a 2.9 rating, improving on the show’s most recent (2006) telecast by 7 percent, and delivering its biggest audience since 2003. That said: When/why did Britney stop knowing how to dance?

* Of Fox’s four animated finales — American Dad (3.6 mil/1.6), The Simpsons (5.3 mil/2.5), Bob’s Burgers (4.26 mil/2.1) and Family Guy (5.9 mil/3.0) — only The Simpsons didn’t dip from its previous numbers.

1. Gerald says:

Oh come on Matt… why is it that no one can seem to Brit Brit a break? Having said that I’m not a fan.
    I just feel so sad for her she is so controlled and trying so hard to keep up with everything. She almost looks like a lost child and is clearly heavily medicated… way out of focus, stiff and unnatural. She should retire to be with her kids and seek some serious help.

2. PV says:

I stopped watching Celeb Apprentice because I had enough of Trump. His racist comments towards Obama and his deplorable “jokes” to Star on the show were the end of the line for me.

I will not be watching any more seasons of it. Recast him.

• Gerald says:

They can’t recast him… he is the whole show. It would be like recasting House, who by the way I don’t like

• april-ann says:

They can and would recast him. NBC said two weeks ago that if he ran for President he would be fired and replaced in an instant. There are many successful, charismatic businessmen/women, not to mention showbiz folks good at hosting who would all probably do a great job. IMO anyone could host it and host it better than him. I stopped watching because I couldn’t stand any more of Trump. He’s an offensive, loudmouthed jerk.

3. John says:

Tom Selleck does a wonderful job in the Jesse Stone movies. They are basically character studies of a strong man facing a series of difficult hardships in life and how he is keeping afloat and functioning. Selleck does an amazing job of playing someone on the brink – whether he falls completely or finds his salvation is the continuing question in this amazing series.

• CJ says:

This WAS a wonderful character study! It’s just too bad that much of its audience, like me, falls outside of that “dream” demographic that seems to be so coveted. I mean, almost 14 million viewers and the rating is less than half that of Trump’s trash?

It would be nice if advertisers would recognize that some of us outside their prime age demographic really do have disposable income. But when advertisers think so little of me because of my age, I don’t think much about them either.

4. lovin' the voice says:

does anyone have a clue as to what it was that trump did “different” this year? i was waiting for an explanation…he namend John Rich, the confetti fell and congratulations were being offered… but what was different? did i blink and miss it?

• did that too says:

I did a double take as well. He did not use the words “hired” and “fired” in the finale. The first time he had done that.

• Buffy Freak says:

In years past, Trump would first fire someone and then hire the winner. He didn’t fire Marlee, he merely announced John as the winner.

5. extenuating circumstances says:

Something else to consider is that the midwest was dealing with wicked storms last night. My dish went out 1/2 way through the Apprentice – I am extremely certain that I am not the only one.

That being said… when I finally got to watch it on Hulu it was so puffed up. 90 minutes would have done it, 2 hours is too loooooong.

6. tazzy says:

Yay for Tom Selleck! I love Jesse Stone — and Blue Bloods.

7. KivKuu says:

Wow this really makes a lot of sense dude.

8. The lack of ratings for the finale of the Celebrity Apprentice demonstrates the lack of relevance that Donald Trump has with both the television audience and the world in general. His name may be splashed across numerous buildings and other business ventures, but Trump is still, at the root, a old-fashioned blowhard who can’t stand the idea that there’s a black man sitting in the White House. After the debacle of his fake run at the presidency, something that was never going to happen so long as the prospect of another (pathetic) season of the Celebrity Apprentice was on NBC’s lineup for next season, the “real” colours of Donald Trump shone through as clear as day – making it painfully obvious to anyone with the ability to connect the dots between two points that Donald Trump is the worst kind of racist populist. He is guided by unbridled jealousy, narcissism, and the unfortunate need to belittle people who don’t happen to share his uniquely warped set of values. Now if only NBC would cancel that useless program altogether and say to Trump the words he needs to hear: “Mr Trump, you’re fired”.