Lost's Finale, One Year Later: Do You Forgive?

To mark the anniversary of the Lost series finale, maybe it’s time to “go baaaaack!” and ask ourselves anew: Did it satisfy, imperfections (as perceived by some) and all?

I’m not a DVD person per se, though my IKEA home entertainment unit (which I believe was made by some of the people who produce The Killing) is filled to the brim with TV-show screeners and freebies. Instead, I choose to keep at the ready, just a button-mashing away, a handful of DVR’d favorites — the two-and-a-half-hour Lost series finale among them.

The last time I cued up “The End,” Parts 1 and 2, was two months ago, as I “broke in” my shiny new 55-inch Sony Bravia. Those times that I choose to revisit that mind-bending season-ender, I typically tell myself, “Just the church scenes.” And yet sure enough, time and again, I’ll follow up the end of “The End” with an umpteenth viewing of the Sawyer-Juliet candy machine encounter (“Whoa“), or the similar reconnects between Sayid and Shannon, or Claire and Charlie.

When it was on air, a lot of people got caught up in Lost‘s mystical mumbo-jumbo, pulling their hair out unless they were spoon-fed the origin of the “whispers” or the nature of the four-toed statue. And Jacob knows, I myself got caught up tapping out many a piece analyzing the likes of the hieroglyphics in the hatch or the Valenzetti Equation.

In the end, though — in “The End” — it’s the relationship moments that paid off best as the series sewed up its six-season run. Even with my last rewatch, the sequence where Desmond is lowered into the glowy cave to uncork the thingamabob utterly tests my patience. (I recall reading that leaked script online weeks prior, thinking, “This cannot be legit.”) And it still digs at my continuity-loving self that Jack passed the Island-protecting baton to Hurley without chanting in Latin.

And yet those are just details. Because it’s moments like the candy machine scene, or Jin and Sun smiling knowingly at a still-oblivious Sawyer in the hospital, that are strongest. Hurley deeply touching Ben with praise for his work as his “No. 2.” Island Jack stumbling through the bamboo, succumbing to a hero’s death, while his sideways self engaged in a cavalcade of emotional, life-affirming reunions.

Was the “limbo”/holding area nature of the sideways world a cheat? Hard for many to wrap their noodle around? Sure. But Christian Shepherd sold me on it, and he does every single time that I toggle through the DVR offerings to fire up “just” those church scenes.

“Everyone dies sometime, kiddo.”

“There is no ‘now’ here.”

“The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people…. Nobody does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them — and they needed you.”

All of which is my 450-word way of saying that no, the Lost finale may never be 100-percent perfect to 100 percent of its fans, no matter how much glowy water has passed through the cave, no matter from what new perspective we might view it. But let’s face it, that was one helluva tale to tie up in a neat bow. So, flaws and all (Shannon over Nadia? Really?), it’s still massive fun to go back to the island on a rainy night — like tonight, as I certainly will — and see how the passengers of Flight 815 landed.

Still longing for Lost days gone by? The coming TV season is bringing back many of your favorites: Michael Emerson in Person Of Interest (CBS, Thursdays), Nestor Carbonell in Ringer (The CW, Tuesdays), Jorge Garcia in Alcatraz (Fox, midseason), Henry Ian Cusick in Scandal (ABC, midseason — and sadly sans accent), and Rebecca Mader in Work It (ABC, midseason).

1. Tim says:

There was never anything to forgive, it was a beautifully realized finale and left me completely satisfied.

• Kate says:

That’s certainly true for me as well. I cry more every time I watch it.

• jen says:

I haven’t seen the finale in almost a year and yet I get weepy just reading Matt’s column and seeing Jack’s face in the photo.

I miss it. I miss those characters so much.

Thanks for the reminder, Matt!

• Amanda says:

I too have it still on my dvr. Actually on both of my dvrs! I probably watched 20 times in the weeks after it aired. I just watched it again about 6 weeks ago. I’m like Matt, always planning to watch just the end, but have to watch all the “reunion” scenes as well. Cry. Every. Time.

• TVB says:

“It was so perfectly beautiful….beautifully written, beautifully acted….and still 100% better than most of what is on TV today.”:

I’m sorry you don’t know where to look for good TV then.

This is the Holy Grail of Lost lovers:

“In the end, though — in “The End” — it’s the relationship moments that paid off best as the series sewed up its six-season run.”

And it’s SUCH b.s., it takes feats of cognitive dissonance only Harold Camping and co. can match. What relationships might you speak of?

Could it be Sayid’s relationship with Nadia? …Nadia who? Oh, you know… that chick… Sayid lived, bled and wanted to die for Nadia. A soldier who swore an oath, he betrayed his country for Nadia, he betrayed his best friend for Nadia, he became an assassin when after a too brief interlude of happiness he lost Nadia and with her his soul.

And in The End… he went to cheesy heaven with the hot babe he once banged on an island after knowing her for a grand total of 20 days. But it was so BEAUTIFUL, y’all!

How about… Desmond? Aren’t you glad he went to cheesy heaven with the most important people in his life like… Kate and Libby. Just not his SON? Beautiful!

What about Sun and Jin’s beautiful story? Turns out they weren’t Caucasian enough to have one. After season 4, everything about them was reduced to a lame retreading of their separation with two dumbass lines a week and, most infuriatingly of all, they eventually decided they’d drown together and screw that miracle daughter. Hey, what’s a little extra orphanhood? Needless to say, they went to cheesy nondenominational heaven without her since they didn’t care about her in life either. Boooootiful.

How about Claire’s relationships? What exactly was the touching relationship with her half-brother? Or… wait… what about her child? You know… the one with the MUST NOT BE RAISED BY ANOTHER prophecy? Sure enough, she went to cheesy nondenominational heaven as a prop to the junkie rocker’s happiness because male characters still need some pootang even in the big characterization garbage bin in the sky. But only after she got turned into a caricature of a previously killed off jungle lady and became a crazed axe murderer whose baby was stolen from her mother and lied to about his identity by our fair heroine. Aaron? Raised by another, schmeised by another. Claire left her baby on a leaf and neither she nor we were EVER told why. That’s how important characters were to this show.

Juliet? The woman who was ready to kill and be killed for a chance to be reunited with her sister and nephew? Was any woman on this show allowed to be anything other than a mommy/romantic plot?

Surely, it must have been about Jack’s relationships then. Well, sorry. Reconciliation with his father did come in a genuinely beautiful, iconic scene all the way back in season 1 via his conversation with Sawyer, but they might as well have ended the show when they launched the raft and call it a day. Everything else in his journey was treated with disgusting superficiality. In the end, he was just some dude haggardly going around saying things like: “Hey, Locke was right! Dontcha be talking smack about Mr. Locke!” In The End, he was humiliated and turned into a man who went around frowning at everyone who ever gave the great John Locke a wedgie, though aside from the fact that he was under the influence of powerful drugs for a couple of weeks, his characterization never bothered to tell us WHY. By the end of season six, Jack was not even a shadow of the beautifully acted and subtly-constructed character he once was, and he sputtered to his death, much like the show itself, after pulling a buttplug out of a cheap cardboard set.

Oh, speaking of Locke… that dude they dumped in the sand eventually… say… didn’t he use to have a relationship with Helen? Thank goodness he went to heaven with the young man he sacrificed to the island though. *sigh* So beautiful!

• Lissa says:

Greatest.Reply.Ever.

• Ana says:

You know when you have all those things to say, but don’t know exactly how to say them? You just said TVB
            Lost’s finale was a really big offense to those who actually loved the series when it began

• Fitehead says:

+ 1
            Bought season 1 and 2 on dvd. Will probably only ever watch season 1 again…

• Will says:

Agreed

• AJ says:

THANK YOU. I’m a little offended by this headline, tbh. Maybe I’m not in TV Line’s target audience after all?

• aleksalynn says:

Exactly. I loved it.

• Sourabh says:

Where are the like buttons when you need ‘em.

• Ana Maria says:

…Well said; my thoughts exactly…

• Mellie says:

Absolutely agreed. It was a wondefully tearful goodbye to a beloved cast.

• JohnDoe says:

I agree as well. Loved the finale, it made me cry, and not very many things can do that to me. The moments between Locke and Jack were my favorite.

• Eridapo says:

Ditto…. I loved the finale.

• evs says:

agreed, me too

• jw says:

The shortest clip from that episode can turn me into a sobbing mess. That episode hit me like a ton of bricks and still does. I can’t explain it in any way. So yeah, “beautifully realized finale” and “completely satisfied” sum it up.

• Ben says:

Thanks Tim, for making sure this was the first comment. Couldn’t agree more.

Which, as I look down the list, seems to be the chorus of many saying the same.

• Diane says:

You said it perfectly. I just want to add a thank you to Matt, for not showing Jack AND Vincent. Because then I’d have to start crying. So thank you.

• Adrienne says:

I agree as well. I thought the finale was a beautiful ending to a wonderful series.

• Tess says:

No, lost sucked. And it still sucks. Although I hear that they answer some of the burning questions they tantalized us with for six years if you shell out big bucks for the complete DVD set.

• Damien says:

It was terrible. they abandoned all continuity and sense of closure to make ham fisted emotional cover ups.

They answered nothing after promising answers and stringing us all along and writing themselves into a corner.

• lucas says:

You were never promised answers to everything. In fact, even from day one, they told you that you wouldn’t get answers to every little thing. so get over it.

• Evan says:

Exactly- it shares a most important message: that no matter how you believe we got here– because God put us here or for purely physical reasons– we’ve been gifted our time together on Earth and we should use that time to love one another and enjoy each others’ company.

• julie says:

I agree with Tim. I loved the finale and I loved the series. They were never going to make everyone happy and I never thought they would tie everything up in a nice, neat little bow. Beautifully written, beautifully acted series from start to finish.

• Lucas says:

Agreed. From the haters comments, it’s pretty clear to me that they weren’t really paying attention to the show they were being given. They were picking and choosing things based on the show they wanted to be given. And the finale didn’t fit that.

• Luke says:

They should do a re-run for LOST and put it back on T.V again.

2. Lou says:

I actually found it perfect to begin with and never understood all the hate. It was like many stories about redemption in the end. I used to hate Jack but how he transformed into a real hero blew me away.

I always thought the show was more about character than mystery, yes the weird stuff was very fun to watch and kept me hooked but in the end I was more involved in the characters. The odd happy ending was the only way the show could go after seasons of loss and pain.

For a long time Buffy was my favourite TV series, Lost took over that spot on May 23 2010 and I’m not sure if any other show will be truly able to feel the void it’s left.

• bamalam says:

I totally agree with this. To me Lost was a character show with the fancy mystery on the side. Yes all this mystical stuff kept happening, but it was never the number one issue with the characters. All the characters wanted was to get home and that was what the series was about, them wanting to get home. They didn’t take the time to research or even willingly want to find out what the smoke monster was or what the statue was. All they knew was that the smoke monster killed and they needed to stay away from it. All they cared about was “oh hey, there used to be a full statue here.” Those who put the mystery of the show first really missed out.

• Asha says:

Funny, I always thought Jack was a real hero until he turned into a self righteous douche. I would have liked to see a tragic ending. The happy glowy finale did not sit with me as in tone with the rest of the series. I’m pretty apathetic about it at this point but I’m considering rewatching the whole series to see if my feelings will change (as they often do upon a rewatch)

3. I never really got into the show, but I thought the finale was well done. Not perfect of course, but well done. No “forgiveness” was ever needed on my part.

4. AJ says:

How dare you, TV Line? There is NOTHING TO BE “FORGIVEN”.

This show, up to and including its final moments, was incredibly satisfying to those of us who watched it right.

Stay pressed and please move to the left.

5. Whimsical says:

That finale would’ve been great for a SEASON finale. It still was completely unacceptable for a SERIES finale (though the extra film on the S6 dvd helped a bit).

6. lethargic says:

I don’t what’s to forgive? For putting together one of the best series finales of all time? It’s not the show’s fault that there are so many nitpicky morons out there who would have NEVER been satisfied no matter what happened. That was 2 hours of incredibly well written television. Quit worrying about all the silly “questions” you have and just watch it for what it is.

7. Cin says:

What is there to forgive? I was a ‘live’ watcher from the premiere threw the finale and I LOVED the final episodes. I found the key to enjoying Lost was to let the questions go and enjoy the ride and the characters and just the sheer undeniable brilliance of every episode. The only people in need of forgiveness from me are the voting members of The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences who IGNORED the final season of Lost. That was shameful and frankly, unforgivable.

8. Jamie says:

Never anything to forgive. Brought closure to the story of characters we loved and did so with respect. Simply gorgeous television. If people didn’t realise it was always about the characters then they failed to get the show.

9. Penny Widmore says:

WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!!!!

10. Patrick says:

I loved the Lost finale, much as I loved the BSG finale, for these exact reasons – the characters all got a resolution that resonated even If all the mythology wasn’t covered. And personally that’s a more satisfying end, but I can understand how viewers who wanted more Island answers weren’t happy.

11. Merri says:

There’s nothing to forgive. The finale was perfect. They answered all of the big questions. If everything had been answered the show would have been ruined. This isn’t Grey’s Anatomy. Some people like intelligent TV. I found it extrememly satisfying.

• Dash says:

Why do people always feel the need to insult the intelligence of people who didn’t like Lost or some aspect of Lost? Lost didn’t end as smart as it began. It really mainstreamed itself after it caught some popularity.

• Jennifer says:

I like intelligent tv too, but the Lost finale wasn’t intelligent. Heck, it wasn’t even intelligible. It answered almost nothing, certainly not all of the big questions. And really, there’s no need to insult viewers who weren’t satisfied by that finale. Maybe it’s because we prefer our television intelligent that we found the finale unsatisfying.

12. John Berggren says:

It was what I needed it to be for me. I loved it.

13. Peter says:

Nothing to forgive. A beautiful ending to one of the all-time great shows. I still miss it terribly.

14. ForensicMama says:

There was nothing to forgive. Great episode!

15. Sarah says:

Nothing to be forgiven , never to be forgotten.

The finale completely blew my expectations and I felt nothing but love and joy for the ending.

16. MrLoiter says:

I could forgive them for making a valiant attempt to wrap up the stories and not quite succeeding but they really just side stepped everything that had built up for 5 years and made it all one big fakeout. So no, I can’t forgive that. I don’t hate the people involved as people but I have lost creative respect for Lindelof and Cuse.

• Suzanne says:

Fakeout? It wasn’t fake, it really happened. Did you watch the finale or just read some dumb wrapup by a writer who just DID NOT GET IT or DID NOT WATCH IT? I watched the finale six times the in the month after it ended, picking up little things here and there. It was perfect, leaving just enough to wonder about.

• Jennifer says:

Maybe fakeout isn’t the right term. Cop-out’s more like it. It’s like Lindelof and Cuse couldn’t think of how to actually answer 99.9% of the questions they posed throughout the 6 seasons, so they just said “Hey! Let’s have them all go to heaven! Yeah, that’s the ticket!” Forgiven? No, for those of us who didn’t even begin to feel satisfied by the lame ending, all is not forgiven. Fortunately most of the rest of those 6 seasons were well worth the journey (ok, not most of season 3)even if the end was deeply unsatisfying. Well, except for that final shot of Jack and Vincent, which was the one moment of the finale that Lindelof and Cuse got 100% right.

17. Karlisle says:

I liked that not all the answers were answered, it leaves it open to our interpretation. In a way, it means LOST is never really over. it continues to play on in our minds. I thought it ended wonderfully, we were introduced to an island of mystery and left an island with just as much behind.

• tripoli says:

Well said. I really like that way of thinking about it. Why lose all the mystery and fun by spelling out every last detail? I loved the show and thought the finale was a wonderful ending. I cried like crazy when Jack and Vincent were lying together on the beach. And being the sappy sucker I am, I was glad to see everyone together again at the end, happy and content. Just a beautifully done finale. Perhaps the best series finale I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching. Well done Lost. Thanks for the memories.

18. Pat says:

There was nothing to forgive anyways. The finale was perfect for the show.

What did the haters expect? Damon and Carlton sitting in a chair in front of the camera, spelling out the secrets of the island?

Complaining about the finale is like telling a pitcher who just threw a no hitter that he is terrible because he didn’t throw a perfect game.

• Heather says:

Actually… I wouldn’t mind that at all (to a degree) ;-) I liked the finale, but I still wouldn’t mind a few of those mysteries explained!

19. DJ Doena says:

I basically removed that entire show from my memory to replace it with shows that actually make sense and don’t pull their storylines out of their rear end.

I have 5 seasons on DVD that I’m never going to watch again – because what’s the point? – and I won’t even bother buying the sixth.

If I want to watch a show that has a proper arc with an ending that makes sense, I put in my “Babylon 5″ DVDs

• Leslie says:

Can I have your DVD’s if you’re not going to watch them again? I’ll watch them over and over!!!

20. Heather says:

I found the finale to be mostly satisfying in terms of the big picture. The series made the full-on mythical leap, and I was cool with that. The relationship resolutions were heart-warming and made me smile.

BUT… I just had a hard time just ‘forgetting’ about all those mysteries they spent SO long cultivating and expanding on… only to just abandon them completely. It would have been one thing if the island was the purgatory world, and you could just chalk it all up to mysticism, but they spent so long trying to sell that the Island=Reality, that I really would have liked to know some answers. Why couldn’t women have babies? What the hell happened when Jughead went off?

I’m not mad, but I really would liked to have known what all that stuff was supposed to mean. At least JKRowling, once Harry Potter was over, would answer any question you asked her about the things that didn’t make the finale..

• Sue says:

On the season 6 DVD set, there is a vignette called The New Man In Charge. It answers some questions, like why women couldn’t stay pregnant and others.

I am sure you can watch it on line.

I just rewatched The End with my son, and I loved it beyond words.

21. Shaun Davis says:

My problem with the finale was the explanation of the sideways world. Its seems like they were making it out to be some kind of alternate reality/mirror world that splintered from the original but in the end they went the easy way out and just said it was limbo which wouldn’t need any explaining.

• DaveO says:

No – the sideways world was always meant to be limbo/purgatory right from the start of the season. The proof is on the plane. Rose was aware of where they really were & what was going on. Watch her reaction when Bernard returns from the bathroom.

• John M. says:

Not to mention, Jack’s injuries. The recurring cut on his neck was from Locke’s knife being pressed against it before Kate shot him, and the “appendix” scar is actually from the fatal wound that killed him.

• quangtran says:

The called the season 6 premier episode LA X (note the space) not after the airport, but because it was a afterlife version of LA.

22. Mia says:

The Lost finale is without a doubt in my top 3 favorite finales. I still watch all of those great moments every couple of months and I still find them just as beautiful, probably even more so after a couple viewings.

23. Maxxybrod says:

It was perfect to me. I wouldn’t change a thing.

24. RJ says:

I can’t help but go back to episode 9 (i believe) and the Faraday/Desmond encounter and talk, where Faraday told him about a bomb and what if this isn’t the life we’re supposed to be living. I still believe at that point the show was going in another direction and the creators didn’t have the church scene in mind, because that conversation made it seem like the alt timeline was more important than just a meeting place. Upon viewing it again it still annoys me the way it ended and how the alt timeline and basically half of every episode in the final season was pointless.

• Shaun Davis says:

Agreed, have similar thoughts and posted at same time.

• Merri says:

The producers knew from the beginning how the series would end. They planned out how the series would flow. Sure there were some changes and rewrites along the way but everything was planned that way for a reason.

• RJ says:

I’m pretty sure all they knew was that it would end with Jack’s eye closing. If you’re right then it makes the last season even more frustrating.

• lucas says:

They also knew exactly what type of story they were telling and it wasn’t sci-fi or adventure. It was about people and about the nature of life. Folks that paid attention to the names, to the blending of religions and myths got that detail. The rest are still harping over how they didn’t get their sci-fi answers.

• jas358 says:

If you go back and rewatch the whole last season, there are several hints that they are in an afterlife. Examples: Locke and Jack’s chat about the airline losing his father’s body, Sawyer watching Little House on the Prarie and the characters talking about what happens after death, etc. Faraday and Desmond talking about the bomb was just misdirection.

25. Jim L says:

Flaws and all, it was one of the most moving moments I have ever seen. I’m not ashamed to say I teared up during the final sequences. It made perfect sense – even though many questions will be left forever unanswered. Brillant, gutsy!!

26. Spandex says:

As a faithful viewer since the beginning, I loved the ending. I still miss the characters and the Island, there is nothing else like it on television. I believe that those who hated or despised the ending did not fully understand the series itself. Lost was meant to be a story filled with mystery, it was up to the viewer to interpret the mythology; if you want to be spoon-fed with answers on a weekly basis at the end of each episode: go watch a CBS crime drama!

27. Mike says:

Ahh, so refreshing to read a bunch of comments about LOST and only find ONE semi-complaint so far! Perfect finale. Wouldn’t change a thing.

28. Matilda says:

It has taken me a year but I have accepted it now, almost come to love it as well. I can take all the unanswered question and the mystique around the island, that’s better than clear answers to be honest, what has taken me this long to accept is the messed up pairings. Especially the core-quadrangle. They basically spent five seasons building up the Kate/Sawyer love story with some interfering from Jack and Juliet along the way, and then they decide to pair Kate up with Jack and Sawyer with Juliet who all along was his second choice?!
    By viewing this as Jack’s ending opposed to that of the shows other characters I can take it, Jack got what he always wanted and needed; his father’s love, a son, Kate’s love and still Juliet around but paired up with Sawyer who will then leave Kate alone..

29. Vee says:

I’m still disappointed by the ending. I didn’t care if our questions were answered or not, its just the lack of….creativity? sensitivity? of the finale.

It was as if they didn’t have an exit strategy so they pulled the dead card.

But what really got me, was that a show with such a diversity of characters, representing a diversity of religions, were all peachy keen being Christians when it came down to it?

I liked the “you needed them” family stuff, but having it take place in a church was a bit heavy handed.

There was a meme going around shortly after the finale, with Biscuit the Sleepwalking Dog and it was edited to make it look like it was all a dream Vincent had. I prefer that ending :P

• Spandex says:

Vee, you should rent “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” and “Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2″…

• Ben says:

Vee – If, after you died, you discovered that Christianity was right and that heaven was real, and you got to be there, would you be upset or disappointed about that?

Putting that aside, the window in the church made it clear that the afterlife depicted was not a single-religion thing. It was open to interpretation. So I don’t understand why you jump to the conclusion that they are all suddenly peachy keen Christians.

• harley says:

I don’t think the ending was Christian. It’s what you make of it. Since I believe in reincarnation, I think they all went on to their next lives knowing they’d find each other again and do things better this time.

30. freddy says:

Worst finale ever. 22 hours a year for 6 years that I will never get back. So cheated by the garbage they threw at us in the finale.

• Susie says:

Agreed. It was a huge waste of time. I only stuck with it because I loved the actors, but that was a mishmash of ridiculously poor writing that truly looked like they were making it up on the fly. I’m happy for those who loved it and were satisfied by not just the finale, but the whole series. But for me it was a mess.

• Rosie says:

I’m still firmly in this camp, too, and always will be. A year away from it isn’t going to change the fact that that is how the finale left me feeling. Cheated, and completely let down by the last few hours to what had been a really great story, building up momentum towards what seemed would be a truly creative reveal, then, that ending instead. Worse, to be told that this was always the intended ending, rather than something churned out last minute because there wasn’t time to tell the real story (and yes, it stil feels that way), really emphasises the feeling of being betrayed by the creators.

31. Paco says:

Guess Ill be debbie downer and say that i was left completely unsatisfied with the finale. When I first saw it, I was okay with it but the more time goes by, the more I start to realize how much of a clusterf*** of storylines the last couple of seasons were. LOST bit more than it could chew in the end.

I forgive it tho. LOST was great for what it was but it was far from the best show ever in the history of television that hardcore fans like to tout it as.

32. larrouxgirl says:

I believe those who found fault with the “Lost” finale must be engineers or their ilk…who must have all questions answered, tied up and tucked into their little boxes. I loved the finale and cannot imagine that the symmetry was (ahem) lost on so many. Thank you, Cuse and Lindelof. Your creativity is loved by many.

• DJ Doena says:

Why do I have to be an engineer to expect an answer to “Why did they have to type in these stupid numbers into that computer for an entire season? And why are these the numbers associated with six survivors on O815?”?

“Jacob has a thing for numbers.” – That’s not an answer, that’s a punchline.

• Leslie says:

We know why they had to type in the numbers, to keep the islands’ energy under control. For whatever reason, each number was associated with one of the 6–who cares why—we just know now that they were.

• Paco says:

A lot of people care why.

• John M. says:

If, after 6 seasons, you can’t accept that the numbers are Fate manifesting itself metaphysically via lottery numbers, Oceanic flights, computer prompts, etc. then you were clearly watching a show that was all wrong for you.

33. alyssa says:

I thought the finale was beautiful. I just watched it again recently and I think I loved it even more.
    For me, it doesn’t matter that there were still some loose ends. It would be impossible and boring to explain every little thing. In the end, Lost was about the people. Whatever plotline the show was following, was for the sole purpose of character development and they ended where they began – with all the characters together and moving on to the next part of their existence.
    It was perfect.

34. Denise says:

There’s nothing to forgive. They gave us more than a fabulous show, they gave us a life consuming experience. I’m just sad that it had to end at all.

35. Jackie says:

I always appreciated the finale and I’m pretty sure I understood the story that the writers were trying to tell. To me, the characters were the story – where they came from, who they were, who they became, and where they ended their stories. “The End” was a culmination of six great years, it closed and left open so many things that I didn’t mind. I still haven’t got the complete set on DVD but it’s still on my wish list; along with Life Unexpected and Smallville. Great job Lindelof and Cuse!

36. Em says:

Loved the finale. It is still on my DVR and I still can’t take Lost off as the #1 show on my Season Pass list. It was the reason I got a DVR so I could re-watch and pause to catch it all.
    It was an amazing show that will never be duplicated, though The Killing is helping fill the void in terms of looking for clues, etc. Seeing Josh Holloway on Community was great, but I need to see all of those actors on my tv more often. Giving the Alcatraz show a chance simply for Jorge Garcia.

37. Addison says:

Not only they didn’t respect the people that watched for the plot (That didn’t go anywhere), but they also neglected important connections. Sawyer/Juliet? Really? I will never consider them important enough for the flashes. But I moved on to way better shows, so this don’t bother me anymore.

• Merri says:

The majority of the fans wanted Sawyer and Juliet together. She gave his character redemption. Not everyone got the intelligent plot of the show. If you wanted answers spoon fed to you instead of working through it on your own, then you probably did not like the finale.

38. Claire says:

I was one of the people that loved it because in the end for me it wasn’t about ‘the numbers’ or what that polar bear was about, it was about the characters and their relationships. People get caught up with the mystery element but I think what Lost did best was the characters, especially getting to see the backgrounds through flashback and grow to root for certain characters and invest in their relationships. I found the finale emotionally satisfying. It was bittersweet, seeing everyone be reunited. I cried like a damn fool. I was cathartic.

39. Claire says:

*it was cathartic. Gah, typos! Oh, and I forgot ending with Jack/his eye as a nod to the pilot. Love.

40. Tom says:

I liked the final but it kind of destroyed my re-watching the earlier seasons plan. I thought after the final, when we got the answers, I would be re-watching the prior seasons in a new light and looking for clues I should have picked up that would have clued me into the answers I got in the final.

41. DJ Doena says:

What I also find so terribly frustrating is this.

LOST wasn’t suddenly cancelled. It’s not like they got the pink slip 5 episodes before the end.

They knew for three years, three seasons that they would make 48 more episodes to wrap up the story.

And yet they decided – even in the last season – to bring up more questions, more mysteries like the temple.

They either did it deliberately or through incompetence, both of which reflects badly on them.

And then they tried to BS their way out of it with their sudden “It was always about the characters” speech. That’s like saying “Lord of the Rings” was always abou the depiction of different countrysides.

• dexx says:

If they answered every single question or even more than they did, plenty of people would still complain that they didn’t like the given answers. Therefore, they let the viewers use the information that we had already been given….which is a lot, and come up with our own conclusions so that we could be satisfied with what we believe instead of having to accept what they gave as answers to be absolute. I am very appreciative of that.

• DJ Doena says:

Jacob throws Men in Black into the source and out comes Smokey. Smokey must never leave the island because that would cause the end of the world – at least that’s what mother told Jacob. Jack pulls plug from the island tub and that makes Smokey mortal again. Then he puts the plug back in.

Additional information: All this is real-world stuff, not purgatory.

WTH is one supposed to make out of this “information” that has been given us?

The only real information the end has given us is lies: Everybody liesdies, even Hurley at some point. Wohoo!

• John M. says:

If this was meant to articulate your problems with the finale, you failed miserably. Sit down and let the big boys talk for a while, then come back once you know how to properly document your thoughts.

• tripoli says:

Nice!Got a laugh out of that one.

• Jennifer says:

DJ Doena’s post, while not exactly brilliantly phrased, wasn’t any less coherent than Lost’s finale. And those writers got paid for that.

• Lucas says:

That whole thing with the Smoke etc was classic sci-fi moves. Go watch some old Doctor Who eps, old Star Trek etc. They were always pulling that kind of WTF moves that worked even though they shouldn’t by our logic. Explaining why it worked would be like George making the mistake of trying to explain what exactly ‘the force’ is. He didn’t improve it by telling us that it was some kind of nanolife. If anything, he ruined the whole notion with that stunt because it was such a lame ass explanation. As would be explaining ‘the light’ etc.

• quangtran says:

I atually annoys me when people bring up the temple as a new mystery.

For me, the temple was a clear example of them trying to provide answer, but Jacob’s mother was correct in that question will only lead to another question, so any answer they give will be treated like another mystery.

• John M. says:

The Temple had been referenced quite a bit during Seasons 4 and 5. It’s not like it’s some thing they just up and decided to include at the last minute. That’s where Ben sent Alex, Carl, and Danielle so they would be safe from Keamy’s mercenary crew (before they were intercepted, obviously).

42. spencer says:

There was still some things I wish could’ve been explained, but it was a beautiful episode.

43. len says:

I loved the finale. I would have liked some more answers but a “here are your answers whether you like it or not” approach would have had a lot of fans fuming. Either way it was a no win situation for the creators.

44. Ana says:

For me it was perfection. I decide at the end of season 2, to just enjoy the show and forget about all of the mythology, I even stop my self from reading any theories from the internet. I mostly enjoy watching Jack and all of his doubts & demons, portrait by the great Matthew Fox (who in my opinion deserved much more recognition for his work) Lost with out it, wouldn’t been the great show it was. The end still makes me cry.

45. steve says:

simple answer no as i still dont understand what the point in half of the season was aka the flashsideways or whatever you wanna call them. We watch an entire season and in the ultimate end half of it meant nothing.

46. Merri says:

None of the mysteries were abandoned or left unfinished. They may have not verbally spelled out everything but they were answered in some shape or form. Some of them were left open to interpretation like REAL LIFE! It would have boring if it was wrapped up in a nice little bow.

47. Drew says:

The finale was great. I’ve been rewatching the entire series and I now see a ton of little details that I didn’t pick up on the first time around. Plus, there really aren’t that many unanswered questions… yeah, they didn’t directly state all of the answers in “ah-ha!” moments, but they gave us pieces of the puzzle and we can put them together for ourselves.
    The thing that a lot of people miss about the finale is that Jack didn’t need the latin to pass on the power to Hurley, because it, like life, was in the eye of the beholder. So much of what Jacob did and believed was based on what his mother told him, not anything from any reliable source. Is the island a thing of science or a thing of faith? The answer would depend on who you ask.

Some people think that Hurley was stuck on the island for all of eternity, but he told us, those were Jacob’s rules. Under Hurley, the rules changed.

I loved the way the finale tied up the series. The show was about redemption and finding peace. Usually, once someone found redemption, they died. Now we see what happens next.

And yeah, Shannon over Nadia! Nadia was someone that Sayid felt guilty over. She was a symbol more than a true love. With Shannon, Sayid didn’t feel guilt or shame or responsibility to right some wrong. He just loved her. And he saw in her what nobody else saw. I liked Nadia and what she brought to the story, but in the end, she was more symbolic for Sayid and not someone he was meant to be with.

48. Tucker says:

Glad to see a lot of love for the Lost finale here. I thought it was absolutely brilliantly done. While the sci-fi stuff was always intriguing, it was merely the trappings of the show. The heart always lay in the characters and their relationships to one another. It was about how this mysteries affected this group of people more so than the specifics of the phenomena. As that is what the finale focused on, I was left satiated, inspired, touched and grateful.

I don’t begrudge the people who feel like they were cheated out of closure by not getting answers for all the technical stuff of the show’s mythos. I’m often surprised, though, at how many seem to neglect the entire emotional aspect of the show and feel the finale offered nothing.

• Tuzo says:

I disagree with you but I like your reasoned posting.

I’m glad (although surprised) by the love the Lost finale is getting here. I’m not as glad about the dismissive tone that is taken with anyone who didn’t love the Finale. It’s not a binary outcome: just because someone didn’t care for (or hated) the finale it doesn’t follow that they wanted all mysteries wrapped up in a tiny ball of smoke.

The main issues I have are with the sideways world. The first is that the nature and stakes of the sideways world were never explained *during the season*. For me this approach made it unclear about what actions actually mattered (during the Finale). e.g. Does it even matter if Jack and Desmond save the island? Are these people dead already? etc. These nagging doubts ruined much of the suspense and drama of the finale since it required a bit of a wait and see approach. Now this effect could also be due to the “boy who cried wolf” narratives that had been done throughout the series. i.e. twists and turns where the characters or the writers trick, deceive or lie to the viewers.

The other issue I have with the sideways world is that upon reflection virtually the entire action there (or maybe half the final season) does not seem to matter. Since they were all dead it just feels like a crude (manipulative?) storytelling device to get to the awakenings (the climax).

Speaking of the awakenings I thought they were well done (except for maybe Sayid?) and extremely emotional; for me they were the highlight of the finale. In “the end” I did not care for the heavy handed religious/spiritual ending.

Maybe it all comes down to people who prefer character driven stories vs. plot driven stories? Personally, (to quote Queen) I want it all. Also, I think if the writers had treated the entire series as they did the finale the audience for the seriese would have been greatly reduced. For me, it’s hard to come down entirely on the “it’s all about the characters” when for the previous seasons it didn’t seem that it was entirely about the characters at all. It was about the characters in incredible/fantastic situations. It seemed like a common aim of the writers was to create (WTF?) moments using narrative devices (Flashforward), plot (“move the island”) and characters (Desmond & Penny in The Constant).

Reflecting a bit on the finale, I loved the emotional awakenings, found the overall drama to be lacking and disliked the “heaven” ending. In fact, for this show which had been so densely layered and subject to interpretation, I would probably have preferred an ending where things weren’t “resolved” or “explained” (ala “Every question I answer will just bring you to another question”). But that’s just one guys opinion.

Oops! I had wanted to write a short paragraph on this but as usual I can’t stop myself.

49. JohnDoe says:

If you really want to see fans nearly kill each other over arguments, don’t bring up the LOST finale, bring up the Battlestar Galactica finale.

50. Brandon says:

It was my favorite show for many years while it was airing, and now, a year after the finale, it remains at the top of my list. The finale gave me everything I had hoped for and more.